Apartments.com Logo

6.8

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021
For those customers looking for a new apartment, apartments.com is one of the nation’s leading resources to help them find what they are searching for. They provide comprehensive lists of all the information a renter would need to know about the property they are interested in. This information is presented in a variety of ways to help the customer have a good experience as they look for their new home. Apartments.com is also a great place for professionals to list their properties and find new tenants. Either side of the real estate market (buying or selling) will be taken care of on Apartments.com

Zillow Logo
#1 Zillow chevron_right
Hubzu Logo
#2 Hubzu chevron_right
2.8
Realtor.com Logo
#3 Realtor.com chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Information
  • Reviews
Many real estate search companies provide their customers with a lot of information to help them make an informed decision about where they want to live next. Since there is so much out there for customers to read and digest, some of it can get a little lost and the customer might get overwhelmed. But Apartments.com presents their listing information in an interesting, unique way that allows customers to really get a grasp of the property for rent. The first thing they do for their customers that is different than their competitors is a 3D tour of the apartments. This makes the customer feel like they are really there and they can better get an idea of the layout and size of the apartment. Some listings also come with a video tour of the whole space, which has a similar effect for the customer. This is accompanied by a gallery of high-quality photos of the interior and exterior. All of these combined really show the customer where they might possibly be living. Next there are reviews of the property written by tenants (or previous tenants), which help the customer get an accurate, realistic view of the lifestyle they would have there. These reviews are not sponsored, so the tenant can be open and honest about their experiences. These reviews are probably the most valuable part of the listing as they tell the customer what the property is really like. These reviews are also verified to make sure that only people who have actually lived in the apartment are writing them. Another really helpful feature offered by Apartments.com is their amenities map. This interactive service allows the customer to choose which kinds of amenities they would like flagged on the map of the area. Only these types of businesses show up on the map, so the customer can learn what is near their new home. The categories of these amenities are:
  • Schools
  • Grocery
  • Bank
  • Restaurants
  • Coffee
  • Banks
  • Shops
  • Fitness
This map is very unique to Apartments.com and really will help customers understand the area they are living in. All of these different features offered make Apartments.com stand out as far as the information they provide for their customers.

The Bad

• Property types
  • Nearby rentals
Apartments.com offers their customers a very extensive list of apartments that are available for rent. It is easy for the customer to filter down their search to specific areas or different property needs so that they can quickly find what they need. Once they've found something they might be interested in there is a lot of other information available to them to learn all they can about the property. But all of these great services and features are only available to those customers who are looking to rent an apartment. This severely limits the types of customers that can take advantage of what apartments.com has to offer. There are no listings for homes, condos or any other type of property that are for rent. There also are no listings for any type of property that is for sale, even apartments. So the customer must be looking specifically for an apartment to rent in order to find what they need on apartments.com While there is a lot of great information about the neighborhoods of the listings on apartments.com, there is no information about the other apartments in the area. That type of information can be really important to a customer as they try to figure out if that particular place is a good deal for their money or not. It would be helpful for customers to have a way to compare the prices of similar units in the same neighborhood, that way they could see where the listing they are interested in stacks up with the others. Some other information like how long the apartment has been available (sometimes even if it is available for sure) would also make the decision an easier one. Apartments.com does give their customers a lot of great information about the properties in their listings, but sometimes are missing some other factors that would help the customer make a choice.

The Bottom Line

Apartments.com stands out among its competitors for the information they give their customers as they try to find the perfect fit for their new home. They provide extensive lists of the amenities offered by the specific complexes, as well as the amenities that are in the nearby neighborhoods. All of this information is published in interactive, easy-to-understand and digest formats for the ease of the customer. All of this and the other features they provide are great for customers looking for an apartment to rent. But it is all lost on those other potential customers who want to rent a different type of home or who would like to buy their next home since the only listings available are for apartments to rent.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

What I like best about Apartments.com was that I did not feel limited in my apartment selection. When I was searching for my first apartment in Chicago, I felt so overwhelmed by the process of going to different locations or searching out landlords. Apartments.com made it so easy to narrow my search! I like that it has a vast selection of apartments. I can search in any region or any neighborhood in the country and get numerous options for apartments. You can filter down to what you are specifically looking for and it is accurate. The interface is easy to use and navigate and I have never had a problem finding what I am looking for.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

There are a lot of filters that you can choose from in order to find the type of housing that you want. This is a free service, so I used it a lot to help look for student housing in Provo. It has the option of searching for apartments with private rooms as well as by rent prices, which I found to be super helpful.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

I really enjoy using apartments.com however the interface and the digitization of the map make it sometimes hard to use. in order for me to find an apartment, I had to go through a variety of different stats to be able to use the map properly. Furthermore, all apartments that are listed are sometimes not for sale on the actual apartment companies website. This makes it really hard whenever moving to a new city, like I was doing to keep up to date with the apartment search. However overall I enjoy that apartments.com shows photos the most recent photos of an apartment.

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

Just moved into our new place this week and the app was very helpful it allowed me to select all the amenities I was looking for and price.

Morgan Tennant Idaho Falls, ID

At first glance, the number of available or soon to be available options for renting apartments was amazing, but after more digging, I have found that the listings are very often outdated. I have never found any listings that have worked out due to incorrect information on this website.

Dshatch Frankfort, IL

While apartments.con does not have every apartment listing (you’ll have to use several different softwares to see every listing in an area) they are far more comprehensive than other websites.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

Apartments.com is a platform that shows you real reviews of apartments; I prefer searching for apartments on this website because when you go to the actual site of the apartment you're looking for, they censor the negative reviews. Apartments.com has helped me locate the student housing apartment I currently have been living in for two years now. I highly suggest utilizing this platform.

r vido Orem, UT

Crowded interface, outdated information and listings, or even fake listings all together, took me forever to find my apartment, gave up on this trash site

Raven Royal Sandy, UT

Apartments.com is a super nice site. We’ve always found what we’re looking for. Especially in times of need.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Apartments.com made it easy to search for apartments and rentals. I found some really great options on this sight that I wouldn’t have found had I looked elsewhere!

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Apartments.com helped my sister and I find a great apartment in a our new town for college. We were really worried about having to spend too much money on campus, but apartments.com gave us great selections and even let us add in our own preferences. I am in love with our new apartment and this website was a great help.

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

Apartments.com seems very outdated and many of their listings are false, as I've contacted the complexes and they have disputed my findings online through this website.

Isabelle Teeples Smithfield, UT

I think that this website was a great website. It was really easy to use and had a lot of options everywhere I went.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

As my husband and I have been looking for new housing during the past few months Apartments.com came in very handy. We have been trying to decide if we have wanted to keep renting or if we were ready to purchase. Apartments.com was very helpful in finding good quality rentals that are available in the area that we have been looking to live. One of the unique features that I liked about this site was that each listing on the main site showed whether or not it was pet friendly and if it has a washer/dryer before having to select the listing. Details like this may seem small, but they are definitely game changers in our search!

Tom Donovan Atlanta, GA

This is a great site to find an apartment. It has the most up to date availability and there are homes/condos for rent too. The description here on Best Company is incorrect in that it states that Apartmens.com doesn't have homes for rent.

Wilinda Sylvestre Chapel Hill, NC

When I was on an apartment search, they helped me find my place at my budget. It was nice and affordable!

Paige Stockard Wichita, KS

This is the website that helped my roommates and I find the place we live in now! It is a great website that is super easy to use. You can narrow down your options to find places within your price range and area that have all of your needs and wants.

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

The site was really easy to use and had good, up-to-date information. It helped me find the best deal on an apartment when I was in college. There were a lot of customization options in the search bar, which was really nice.

Abby Ashby Provo, UT

I love apartment.com for the ability to easily compare rental rates and get an idea of what a fair price is for the area

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

I have found my last 5 years of living spaces on Apartments.com. I really like their filters and the website is easy to navigate.

applebutteranna Butler West Wendover, NV

This is a great site to find rentals. I like the way that you can filter exactly what you are looking for.

Jaylynn Pierre Tallahassee, FL

This company has a easy refining process that let’s you find your perfect apartment in record time.

Gail Salt Lake City, UT

As a renter Apartments.com is a good site that caters to folks like me. It's a good way to trim the fat when dealing with finding a new place.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I think Apartments.com is average compared to the other real estate searches out there, but definitely is a website worth looking into when you're searching for apartments.

Cdavid , MO

when searching for apartments in the SLC area, Apartments.com com had alot of options that worked for me.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

listings are almost always out of date or fake all together - it's super annoying that the filter doesn't even filter what I want it to, it always ends up showing me listings way over my budget