Apartments.com Logo

6.5

LAST UPDATED: January 18th, 2022
For those customers looking for a new apartment, apartments.com is one of the nation’s leading resources to help them find what they are searching for. They provide comprehensive lists of all the information a renter would need to know about the property they are interested in. This information is presented in a variety of ways to help the customer have a good experience as they look for their new home. Apartments.com is also a great place for professionals to list their properties and find new tenants. Either side of the real estate market (buying or selling) will be taken care of on Apartments.com

Zillow Logo
#1 Zillow chevron_right
Realtor.com Logo
#2 Realtor.com chevron_right
4.1
Trulia Logo
#4 Trulia chevron_right
3.5

The Good

• Information
  • Reviews
Many real estate search companies provide their customers with a lot of information to help them make an informed decision about where they want to live next. Since there is so much out there for customers to read and digest, some of it can get a little lost and the customer might get overwhelmed. But Apartments.com presents their listing information in an interesting, unique way that allows customers to really get a grasp of the property for rent. The first thing they do for their customers that is different than their competitors is a 3D tour of the apartments. This makes the customer feel like they are really there and they can better get an idea of the layout and size of the apartment. Some listings also come with a video tour of the whole space, which has a similar effect for the customer. This is accompanied by a gallery of high-quality photos of the interior and exterior. All of these combined really show the customer where they might possibly be living. Next there are reviews of the property written by tenants (or previous tenants), which help the customer get an accurate, realistic view of the lifestyle they would have there. These reviews are not sponsored, so the tenant can be open and honest about their experiences. These reviews are probably the most valuable part of the listing as they tell the customer what the property is really like. These reviews are also verified to make sure that only people who have actually lived in the apartment are writing them. Another really helpful feature offered by Apartments.com is their amenities map. This interactive service allows the customer to choose which kinds of amenities they would like flagged on the map of the area. Only these types of businesses show up on the map, so the customer can learn what is near their new home. The categories of these amenities are:
  • Schools
  • Grocery
  • Bank
  • Restaurants
  • Coffee
  • Banks
  • Shops
  • Fitness
This map is very unique to Apartments.com and really will help customers understand the area they are living in. All of these different features offered make Apartments.com stand out as far as the information they provide for their customers.

The Bad

• Property types
  • Nearby rentals
Apartments.com offers their customers a very extensive list of apartments that are available for rent. It is easy for the customer to filter down their search to specific areas or different property needs so that they can quickly find what they need. Once they've found something they might be interested in there is a lot of other information available to them to learn all they can about the property. But all of these great services and features are only available to those customers who are looking to rent an apartment. This severely limits the types of customers that can take advantage of what apartments.com has to offer. There are no listings for homes, condos or any other type of property that are for rent. There also are no listings for any type of property that is for sale, even apartments. So the customer must be looking specifically for an apartment to rent in order to find what they need on apartments.com While there is a lot of great information about the neighborhoods of the listings on apartments.com, there is no information about the other apartments in the area. That type of information can be really important to a customer as they try to figure out if that particular place is a good deal for their money or not. It would be helpful for customers to have a way to compare the prices of similar units in the same neighborhood, that way they could see where the listing they are interested in stacks up with the others. Some other information like how long the apartment has been available (sometimes even if it is available for sure) would also make the decision an easier one. Apartments.com does give their customers a lot of great information about the properties in their listings, but sometimes are missing some other factors that would help the customer make a choice.

The Bottom Line

Apartments.com stands out among its competitors for the information they give their customers as they try to find the perfect fit for their new home. They provide extensive lists of the amenities offered by the specific complexes, as well as the amenities that are in the nearby neighborhoods. All of this information is published in interactive, easy-to-understand and digest formats for the ease of the customer. All of this and the other features they provide are great for customers looking for an apartment to rent. But it is all lost on those other potential customers who want to rent a different type of home or who would like to buy their next home since the only listings available are for apartments to rent.

MM Largo, FL

I like apartments.com because they don't charge to search for apartments and they allow you to send a message to the apartment manager making it easy to inquire about availability, etc. Also, the search can be filters by specific features and amenities and price, making it so you don't have to weed through a bunch of listings that don't match your needs.

Denise Davis Detroit, MI

I have used this site to search for apartments at various times across the United States. This site streamlines searches and makes it so much easier. It has been in service for years. I remember finding my apartment on Lake Merritt in Oakland, California on this site. It was beautiful, reasonable, and I got the link to an easy online app to apply at a time when they were virtually nonexistent.

EB

Apartments.com helped me to find an apartment faster than my (“side hustle” realtor) relatives could. I found what I needed at a reasonable price, and moved in without the hassle of someone trying to coerce me into taking a higher priced dwelling so they could make some commission. The website was easy to navigate, and the search feature had user friendly filters. Just what I needed (and nothing I didn’t).

CypressH Ellicott City, MD

I found the website easy to use, and particularly liked the fact that it gave a walkability score, and gave the relative distance to nearby public schools.

James Lapeyre Bryan, TX

Decent user-interface, wide selections, and a lot of flexibility for searching for what you need. But a lot of properties listed as available are actually under lease. And if you don't already have a realtor, good luck getting a response when you show interest.

Audrey Macfarlane Dallas, TX

I got my lease because of apartments.com! There's good information and up to date customer service information for every property.

Austin Tempe, AZ

Looking for a rental place has never been easier. We used apartments.com to find our apartment when we moved from AZ to CO and it was simple and easy to filter and sort through the countless complexes in the Phoenix Area.

Juanita Morrison Columbus, OH

Prior to purchasing my home, I used the website to locate my apartment. I secured a nice living space in just enough time to sign the lease during a rent special. The site was updated and the 3D feature really helps you get a good visual of the apartment floor plan.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

While apartment hunting for my first place, it was incredibly difficult to find a place with everything I needed; just the right price, quiet neighborhood, and a location close to my priorities. Apartments.com made apartment hunting much easier with their countless filters, detailed maps, and easy to navigate website. The best feature about Apartments.com has to be their very specific filters that cater to your every need, my personal favorite being the move-in date one. This website is a great tool for those apartment hunting with little time to spare!

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

I love using apartments.com when it comes to my search for student housing, I am able to narrow down my searches to 1, 2, or 3 bedrooms, any amount of bathrooms, or type of housing. It makes for searching for a new place to live much less of a hassle!

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

This website features REAL apartments. The site is also user friendly. You are able to filter by bedroom number, amenities, and price. So, you'll find exactly what you're looking for in no time! Apartments.com helped me find the complex I live in now.

Abigail Land Tallahassee, FL

Easy to find exactly what you are looking for in an apartment with easy-to-use filters. It also has reviews of places, links to their sites, and contact information for them.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Every apartment I've every rented started and was found on a search through this website. The location finder and reviews are super helpful in deciding where to rent.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Apartments.com is a great way to look for apartments. There is a great selection of apartments and they provide a good amount of pictures. They also provide demographics, which is important when looking for a place to live.

amari sims Tallahassee, FL

When searching for an apartment for college, Apartments.com was extremely helpful by providing me with the rent rates and amenities for each potential apartment that I was looking at signing to.

Grace M. Columbia, MO

Apartments.com is a great site for keeping up with new listings in my area! I love that they send notifications, so I am always up to date on the best new rentals. This has made looking for a pet friendly college apartment a breeze!

Andriana Cesaire Tallahassee, FL

Using Apartments.com is very easy and it led me to finding the perfect apartment for my sophomore and junior years of college. The website is easy to navigate and allows you to input specific requirements for the places you are looking to live.

Laurie Carter Concord, NC

Require a lot of information to even start searching but have a good bit of info on all local apartments.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

What I like best about Apartments.com was that I did not feel limited in my apartment selection. When I was searching for my first apartment in Chicago, I felt so overwhelmed by the process of going to different locations or searching out landlords. Apartments.com made it so easy to narrow my search! I like that it has a vast selection of apartments. I can search in any region or any neighborhood in the country and get numerous options for apartments. You can filter down to what you are specifically looking for and it is accurate. The interface is easy to use and navigate and I have never had a problem finding what I am looking for.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

As my husband and I have been looking for new housing during the past few months Apartments.com came in very handy. We have been trying to decide if we have wanted to keep renting or if we were ready to purchase. Apartments.com was very helpful in finding good quality rentals that are available in the area that we have been looking to live. One of the unique features that I liked about this site was that each listing on the main site showed whether or not it was pet friendly and if it has a washer/dryer before having to select the listing. Details like this may seem small, but they are definitely game changers in our search!

Rosita Khalehpari Winnetka, CA

I was happy with their services. It is convenient to ask them for help if you do not want to pay a realtor for renting your place.

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

This is another website that just doesn't have what I'm looking for. They give you listings outside of your scope all the time and try to market you to purchase higher-priced places. Just not a huge fan!

Kaela Tallahassee, FL

Always finds the apartments based on filters that one can provide. I have found most of my past apartments from this site.

Ruth Jeanmary Tallahassee, FL

I used apartments.com when looking for my current student apartment and it gave me all the information I needed to know about my current place. I love it!

bmc2z7 Columbia, MO

I enjoy using this site, this is how I found my current apartment. It gives an in depth review of everything I need to know about the place such as utilities included or not.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

Apartments.com is a platform that shows you real reviews of apartments; I prefer searching for apartments on this website because when you go to the actual site of the apartment you're looking for, they censor the negative reviews. Apartments.com has helped me locate the student housing apartment I currently have been living in for two years now. I highly suggest utilizing this platform.

WT

The site is pretty simple to use, but it can be difficult to search specific areas if they are lesser known.

Melissa Woods Carson City, NV

I wish the site would only show me apartments inside the areas specified. The email alerts I get always seem to be outside the area I am looking to live in.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Apartments is super easy to find potential apartments. I love that I can narrow the search results to choose what works best for me.

Morgan Tennant Idaho Falls, ID

At first glance, the number of available or soon to be available options for renting apartments was amazing, but after more digging, I have found that the listings are very often outdated. I have never found any listings that have worked out due to incorrect information on this website.

Lgonzales88 Columbus, OH

Definitely stays updated and I enjoy using this website.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

There are a lot of filters that you can choose from in order to find the type of housing that you want. This is a free service, so I used it a lot to help look for student housing in Provo. It has the option of searching for apartments with private rooms as well as by rent prices, which I found to be super helpful.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

I really enjoy using apartments.com however the interface and the digitization of the map make it sometimes hard to use. in order for me to find an apartment, I had to go through a variety of different stats to be able to use the map properly. Furthermore, all apartments that are listed are sometimes not for sale on the actual apartment companies website. This makes it really hard whenever moving to a new city, like I was doing to keep up to date with the apartment search. However overall I enjoy that apartments.com shows photos the most recent photos of an apartment.

Dshatch Frankfort, IL

While apartments.con does not have every apartment listing (you’ll have to use several different softwares to see every listing in an area) they are far more comprehensive than other websites.

JE

Good company they do a good job with the design

tommy melvin Richmond, VA

Great format and tons of apts to look at with details and easy to use features

Michael Leslie Flint, MI

Pretty accurate information. Can easily find available apartments in your area.

Doug Foerch Vernon Hills, IL

They really didn’t seem to located all the apartments in the areas I’ve researched. The ones they do pull up give pretty good information.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

I have found my last 5 years of living spaces on Apartments.com. I really like their filters and the website is easy to navigate.

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

Just moved into our new place this week and the app was very helpful it allowed me to select all the amenities I was looking for and price.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Apartments.com made it easy to search for apartments and rentals. I found some really great options on this sight that I wouldn’t have found had I looked elsewhere!

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Apartments.com helped my sister and I find a great apartment in a our new town for college. We were really worried about having to spend too much money on campus, but apartments.com gave us great selections and even let us add in our own preferences. I am in love with our new apartment and this website was a great help.

Tom Donovan Atlanta, GA

This is a great site to find an apartment. It has the most up to date availability and there are homes/condos for rent too. The description here on Best Company is incorrect in that it states that Apartmens.com doesn't have homes for rent.

Jaid Clark Yuba City, CA

They make the search super easy, love the options in the search too.

Sharrell Colleton Tallahassee, FL

I found the apartment I stay in now on Apartments.com and the website is very easy to use.

Paige Stockard Wichita, KS

This is the website that helped my roommates and I find the place we live in now! It is a great website that is super easy to use. You can narrow down your options to find places within your price range and area that have all of your needs and wants.

Emerald Scott West Jordan, UT

The site was really easy to use and had good, up-to-date information. It helped me find the best deal on an apartment when I was in college. There were a lot of customization options in the search bar, which was really nice.

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

Information lacks more update and not quite knowledgeable and sometimes they don’t get back

taismine joseph Tallahassee, FL

Easy when it comes to finding your new home. Very detailed and accessible.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Outdated site that sometimes does not portray accurate information. Not very user friendly. Needs to be updated to match its competitors.