Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices is a real estate brokerage franchise network designed for the current real estate market. Their network of members and agents serve first-time home buyers, high-end residential markets, middle market communities and commercial real estate offering local expertise.

The Good

• International
  • States
  • Agents
  • Offices
  • Real estate options
  • License
  • Commission/selling cost
  • Specialties
  • Experience
International

Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices is not available internationally. They are solely limited to the United States. If looking for a home or property in another country, you will have to seek elsewhere.

States

The company's network of franchisees are found in 47/51 states. This means you most likely have access to one of their local agents wherever you reside.

Agents

The company currently reports a commercial network of 2000 agents and counting. One of their strengths is a huge network of agents throughout the country. With this franchise real estate system increasing every day, the number of agents is growing exponentially.

Offices

Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices has 1100 offices across the U.S. with about 142 offices in California alone.

Real Estate Options

Berkshire Hathaway offers services to help you buy and sell homes. The benefits they offer to buyers include:

• In-depth property and community information
  • Local expertise, keeping you up-to-date on home buying trends
  • Agents that only show you homes that fit what you're looking for
  • Agents that work around your schedule

Benefits they offer sellers are:

• A seamless sales process
  • Accurate pricing based on real data
  • Professional marketing services where they list, advertise and show your home for you
  • Negotiation services aimed to make sure you get a fair price
License

Berkshire Hathaway requires all of their agents to have a license. You can choose from a list of real estate agents (what they call local market experts) in your area who specialize in buying and selling brokerage services that are native to that specific geographical zone. If you're seeking a broker or realtor, you can peruse the agent's profile in Berkshire's database to see if they have that particular status.

Commission/Selling Cost

Berkshire Hathaway declines to share Commission rates unless you are a client to one of their agents. Many companies do this and it is not abnormal.

Specialties

Berkshire Hathaway offers services the specialties below:

• Residential: Buying and Selling services for residential homes
  • Commercial: Commercial Real Estate Brokerage Services for owners and investors, landlords, tenants and commercial affiliates

These specialty services cover a vast area to meet your needs. Berkshire bases its efforts on research and data points to help customers make the best decisions possible.

Experience

Berkshire Hathaway Home Services have its origins dating back to 1839 when Oliver Chace established a company called Valley Falls Company that dealt with textile manufacturing. Over a century later, in 1955, the named permanently changed to Berkshire Hathaway. Business magnate Warren Buffet took over as President, Chairman, and CEO of the company in the early 1970s.

Berkshire Hathaway Home Services was established in the late 1990s. They acquired Prudential Real Estate in 2012. To date, Several Prudential offices around the country have already adopted the Berkshire Hathaway name. By 2020, it is expected that all Prudential offices will be replaced with the Berkshire Hathaway brand. Technically speaking, Berkshire Hathaway real estate has been in operation for approximately 20 years.

The Bad

• Filtering options
Filtering Options

Unlike most real estate sites, Berkshire does not have advanced search features. Your search options go by city name or zip code. This does not allow you to get really specific about what kind of home you're looking for, nor does it allow you to filter the kind of community you want to live in, or find a home in proximity to a particular school district or commute distance to work.

The Bottom Line

Berkshire Hathaway provides easy-to-use tools for patrons to understand not only the properties available, but the long-term effects of real estate purchase as well. Their website connects buyers and sellers to agents effectively. Overall, they are a solid choice to consider when looking for an agent, property, or general real estate advice. If you're a home buyer or seller, Berkshire doesn't have the best filters to help you narrow your search the way some other websites do. For what Berkshire offers, they're not the only game in town. Their services can be found with other competitors, so if you find, for example, an agent whose commission is too high, you can feel secure knowing Berkshire Hathaway is not the only option.

2.1

J.C.P.
June 7th, 2019 Charlotte, NC

Decisions regarding rentals are made based on discriminating information. They say no discrimination based on familial or disability but they would not allow my husband to either be only applicant or main applicant. They wanted my Ssa to be able to cover an $80,000 a year salary for approval. And treats common law/gay marriages as roommates, not partners, husband and wife. Felt belittled and left in tears after spending all day viewing properties, filling out application to find out that being disabled counts against us.

Damian
May 24th, 2019 Suwanee, GA DETAILS

Unethical and incompetent. Beware! I am not at liberty to discuss details but I had a real disaster in my experience dealing with an agent in tge Cumming GA office. I would not trust them with rentals or home purchasing. Their lack if response in my case is appalling.

Ms. Bryant
April 25th, 2019 Mobile, AL DETAILS

My experience at Berkshire Hathaway with Robert A was extremely satisfying. He was honest, helpful, mindful of my wants in a home, informative, and he made the process effortless and pleasant.

Bill k
April 22nd, 2019 Marianna, PA

Realtor Sherry W will NOT represent your interests, only the sale! When i used her as a realtor through Northwood realty (her former employer) she was worthless. Did not warn me about this home having a holding tank instead of a real septic. She worked for only her interests. Now i had to declare bankruptcy. She even reccomended i buy as is at the last minute! She obviously conspired with the owner, working not for me! Dont use this loser!!!

Chip Pennington
April 8th, 2019 Hendersonville, TN DETAILS

Never leave your house when this company is showing your house for any reason! They asked me to leave so their client wouldn’t be uncomfortable. Big Mistake!!! When I returned that night I found that someone had Went through my drawers and a very Expensive Rolex Daytona has been stolen! Of course they wouldn’t admit responsibility for it and refused to do anything about it. Expensive lesson learned !

Traci Oehler
February 12th, 2019 Georgetown, TX

A classy company! Helpful, informative, positive agents.

Homebuyer
December 31st, 2018 King George, VA

I worked with Barbara Pilley at BH & we were very pleased with the research and analysis of the home buying market in The Downtown Fredericksurg area. She is a real Pro.

Tanner Cook
December 17th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I used an agent from Berkshire Hathaway to find the perfect home to rent. My rep Julie went above and beyond in AZ, and worked diligently until she found one my wife and I loved. Great experience!

Angela Reynolds
December 10th, 2018 Bridport, VT

Berkshire Hathaway Realators in Ticonderoga NY is horrible! Only dealt with them once and never agsin. Very unprofessional the agent was on her phone texting her daughter when she was trying to show us a house, very rude. She had no idea where the property lines were! What fool shows up to show a home and has no idea where the 5.6 acres was! No clue very incompetent and just rude! We will use another realator. I had a gut feeling not to buy this home.

JDN
November 27th, 2018 Sarasota, FL DETAILS

Horrible company along with the agent Sara LaRock to use... So many other good brokerage firms out there to work with go elsewhere.... DO NOT USE!!!!

Unsatisfied
October 12th, 2018 Terre Haute, IN

Works with unlicensed - unsavory real estate investors. Slummy properties. Person showing the property didn't know much about it. Kind of uppity. Tried to work with them but gave up. Investor whose house I looked at I googled & found she was listed as being convicted of Mortgage Fraud.

Lisa Garrison
October 4th, 2018 Mechanicsburg, PA

Would never used them again under any circumstances. First Agent did not do her job and consequently lost over 20K. Asked to write something not quite true in home disclosure statement.

J
September 4th, 2018 O'Fallon, MO

Absolutely loved the buyers agent! Was completely turned off by Berkshire Hathaway Home Services though. They run the brokerage firm like the stereotypical car sales person! They try to charge a buyer in St Charles County, Mo, a $300 JUNK FEE on top of the fantastic commission they already get from the seller. Makes me wonder if they try to hit the seller up with a junk fee as well. I find this UNETHICAL & a complete outrage. We refused to pay this junk fee & it was removed. There are honest realtors out there that do not try to scam buyers/ sellers with junk fees. I suggest going through them instead.

Michelle
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

We have been renting with Berkshire Hathaway for 2 years now. Honestly the worst landlords and company that I have ever wanted with. We've had Pest Control problems and they don't come out to fix it. Our landlord Tom could care less what was happening with issues with the home. I'm so disappointed because you would think with them being such a big company that they would have it together. I definitely would not recommend anybody renting from them. They do not care about your family. I can't wait to move and be done with all the problems.

Virginia McCann
July 25th, 2018 Abiquiu, NM DETAILS

Our agent, Robyn T was terrific. Very patient as we looked at everything. Took over a year to be able to move but Robyn kept in touch and assisted us through a complicated real estate purchase. She had the back up of Birkshire Hathaway as she consulted with her Broker and attorneys.

Deborah Ewing
July 10th, 2018 Nokomis, FL

Dishonest and unethical. If you're selling your home for sale by owner beware! We had made a deal with our buyers prior to the company getting involved and then they came in and said they were going to write the deal and try to push up the commission fourfold. Anyone is welcome to contact us for more details.

Judie La Pierre
June 25th, 2018 San Diego, CA

I have purchased 5 houses up to this point and have good and bad experience but nothing like my son just had with Berkshire-Hathaway. He is looking to buy his second home and he has a pre approved VA loan with Chase. He made an offer on the home for full price with BH and they accepted it. When it came time to fill out the paperwork they sent his agent an email saying they were taking the property off the market. They contacted a second agent in that San Diego office and he said he would check into it. When he got back to them he said BH doesn't deal with Chase Bank so unless my son wanted to get a different loan company they were going to put it back on the market. When have you ever heard of real estate company turning down a pre approved loan from a major bank? Something shady is going on here be aware if you deal with them.

John Skakel
June 21st, 2018 Vallejo, CA DETAILS

My friend works at a B.H. in Ca, so she referred me to Deb Ellis at B.H. Ambassador H.S. at Village Pointe Plaza, Omaha, NE. What a Godsend! I can’t imagine wanting to do a transaction with anyone else, and I used to be in the business. Deb is super organized, super helpful, super nice, energetic and accountable. Wish I’d been as good when I was a Realtor!

bertony Lapomarede
May 24th, 2018 Orlando, FL DETAILS

HORRIBLE PLACE TO RENT FROM !! Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Results Realty IN ORLANDO FLA will do anything and everything to keep your full deposit! No matter how much you clean YOU will NOT get your deposit! Unprofessional thieves. I emailed Debbie B., Ashley C. and MaryRose and they said it was nothing they could do. I have documents showing I had the unit professionally cleaned, yet they still kept my deposit. DON'T RENT OR BUY FROM THEM or you will find out the hard way that they will rob you !

Heather Reeling
May 23rd, 2018 York Haven, PA

I feel like I was doing all the work, and wasn't getting much help as far as my options. I just don't feel like I'm a valued client. They get you when you sign your contract, then your put last on their list, maybe because I wasn't a very "valuable" client. Either way, all clients should be treated with top priority.

toccara clark
May 1st, 2018 Orlando, FL DETAILS

HORRIBLE PLACE TO RENT FROM !! Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Results Realty IN ORLANDO FLA will do anything and everything to keep your full deposit! No matter how much you clean YOU will NOT get your deposit! Unprofessional thieves. I emailed Debbie Browning, Ashley Cantrell-Olson, and MaryRose and they said it was nothing they could do. I have documents showing I had the unit professionally cleaned, yet they still kept my deposit. DON'T RENT OR BUY FROM THEM or you will find out the hard way that they will rob you!

First name
March 7th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV

Unfortunately I had to indirectly deal with one of your agents Pilar Nizama. I’m sorry to say that I had a horrible experience, she has no ethic, very unprofessional and she only cares about money, without considering what a family’s situation will be or will cause with her actions. She submitted an addendum a few hour before our closing time, she even mention to my agent to accept it or cancel either way she had more offers where her seller and herself will be making way more money. Hope she feels very happy with a few dollars more in her life. Karma exists!!!

Al
December 5th, 2017 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Berkshire Hathaway McGarey Group made my life a living nightmare for a good few months this past summer. Literally still haunts me to this day. Keeping this review as PC, honest, and simplified as possible: - Paul D. (acclaimed Property Manager) may or may not be the worst human being I've dealt with professionally. Would be described as condescending, belittling, and unresponsive to emails or calls - Unit rented in Sedona Condominiums was in inhabitable conditions. In. So. Many. Ways. Inhabitable honestly would be an understatement. I've currently paused my urge to blast the collection of photos online - When brought up reasons why the unit was inhabitable - no maintenance issues were addressed. Three maids were sent 2 days after moving in who cleaned for 4 hours and advised verbatim "cannot believe they were going to rent this place out" and "we did the best we could but we highly recommend a DEEP CLEAN" (not sure what in the world they were doing for 4 hours) I was able to break my year long lease and move out the following month. After the complete disaster of an experience, these bright folks mailed my deposit check to the address I moved out of. That was an excellent way to reach me. This property management will 100% scam you. And mostly ignore you once you request any type of assistance. Please think twice before you sign a lease managed by Berkshire Hathaway McGarey Group. Lesson learned.

Kate Fraley
October 17th, 2017

When working with Berkshire Hathaway the customer service was one of a kind ,I fell a Sincerity when working with them . Honesty is a very hard thing to come by , I have had a honest experience every time . When a issue of concern was brought to the table it was sorted and fixed without Hesitation . Cumminication was always clear and Thorough and I always had questions,I always do that is my nature. I never felt like my questions were over burdening They've always been happy to help me in any way that they can .I'm very satisfied with working with them it has been an excellent experience and I hope it continues... .

Fernando Tapia
August 21st, 2017 Dothan, AL

An unbelievably professional company, our realtor, Don F, took care of us with full dedication until we found the right one, he assisted us in every step of the way until closing, and has kept in touch with us to make sure of our satisfaction. Other staff members at Berkshire were also trying to assist Don and being extremely nice to us. I give this company a 10!

Kevin
July 19th, 2017 Virginia Beach, VA

Unprofessional and complete lack of communication. I was a renter for one of their properties and the only time the property manager would reply to an email, text, or a phone call was when she needed something from me. Takes over four weeks to get a reply and that is only after you call and ask to speak with a supervisor. Could not live in the house for the first four days of occupancy because of maintenance issues and I was not refunded any per diem. Property manager promised a lot of work related items to the house (not in writing, just verbally) and nothing was completed in one year. They demand the security deposit immediately, but will be quick to let you now they have 45 days to return your deposit. Then they will try to nickel and dime you for normal wear and tear items, and claim the house needs cleaning even though you left it way better than it was given to you. Dishonest management company. Good luck trying to get anyone to call you back. Or extend any kind of professional courtesy. This will happen to you if you rent a property from Berkshire Hathaway. If you want Berkshire Hathaway...just go to a different one. DO NOT use the one in Central Park in Fredericksburg, VA.

Heather Cook
April 26th, 2017

I'm currently using this real estate company and they are awful. Incredibly rude and lazy. I'm doing work that they are getting paid to do. When I tried to contact the company regarding my concerns, I did not hear a peep back from them. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy!

Julie Locke
March 13th, 2017 Sydney, FL

This is the worst company, they are unprofessional, incompetent and out for themselves. They make decisions about your property as if they were the owner, like offering a 9 month rental on a unit that's only available for 6 months. They don't respond to phone calls, they hold on to owner's funds and spend the reserve like it's their own checkbook. Our tenant left this disgusting dirty pan, unmade beds, burned out light bulbs, broken toilet and took many of the things that were part of the unit (trash cans, toilet brushes, etc). Not only did I have to pay for it, they were afraid to charge the tenant's security deposit, they did a walk through and cleared the unit as ready to be re-rented even with a broken toilet. Avoid them