NBKC Bank (National Bank of Kansas City) is a full-service, FDIC-insured bank and an approved Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lender. The company’s consistently high volume of mortgage loans, low overhead costs, centralized operations, and advanced technology allow it to cut closing costs significantly.

NBKC currently has the best customer score among all reviewed mortgage lenders with an average overall score of 4.9/5 stars from verified customer reviews

Review Icon

Customer Review: Hank Speakman from Corpus Christi, Texas

"We recently refinanced through NBKC. We've had a number of mortgage transactions over the years but this was the best by far. Mark Q and the NBKC team were great to work with and always kept us informed on the status of the loan. Great rates, easy, friendly, and no surprises - what more could we ask for!"

Along with more than 20 years of mortgage lending experience, NBKC Bank offers borrowers: online lending nationwide  an easy and efficient online application process,  educational resources including 17 financial calculators, customized loan options, and excellent customer service reported by reviewers.

NBKC's purchase and refinance loan products include:

• Fixed-rate mortgages (offers rates for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year terms)
  • 5/1 ARMs (Adjustable Rate Mortgages)
  • FHA loans VA loans In addition to providing conventional
  • CDs
  • Personal loans
  • Auto loans
  • Recreational vehicle loans
  • Business loans and treasury solutions
  • HELOC (home equity line of credit) loans.

NBKC is partnered with Military Makeover, an organization that provides unique benefits to men and women who have served in the U.S. armed forces.

The Good

• Mortgage Rates
  • Available Nationwide
  • Great NBKC Mortgage Reviews
  • Discounts for Costco Members
  • Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process
  • Loan Types Available
  • Helpful Financial Calculators

Mortgage Rates

While mortgage rates can change daily and evenly hourly, the NBKC website provides instant illustrative chart data for any proposed mortgage loan. That way, prospective borrowers can get a feel for the mortgage rate, APR, payment P&I, and lender fees they can expect for a given loan amount, down payment, credit score, and location. Loan programs pictured include 30-year fixed, 15-year fixed, and 5/1 ARMs.

Available Nationwide

NBKC lending services are available in all 50 states due to the company's online mortgage lending model. Prospective borrowers who want to apply for loans can do so from the website, eliminating office wait times and travel costs.

Though the loan process takes place remotely for borrowers not local to NBKC's offices in Kansas and Missouri, borrowers can be confident they are being well taken care of: loan origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding all happen on-site.

Great NBKC Mortgage Reviews

NBKC is ranked as a top mortgage lender because it strives to always put its customers first. Nearly 95% of NBKC's mortgage reviews are five-star on Best Company. The top elements that make NBKC stand out from the competition are:

• Fast and responsive loan process
  • Transparent and frequent communication
  • Low interest rates
  • No surprise lender fees
  • User friendly technology

When 94% of NBKC's customers agree that they would recommend NBKC to a friend, you know its a company that should be high on your list of consideration for a home loan.

Discounts for Costco Members

NBKC charges low, flat origination fees across all loans except VA loans. Costco members with an Executive membership, Gold Star membership, or Business membership status receive discounts on NBKC's origination fee, whereas many other lenders do not offer any discounts off their lender fees.

It’s nice that in addition to access to Costco gas stations, cash-back rewards, and discount rewards, a Costco membership benefits you when you choose NBKC as one of its participating lenders through the Costco mortgage services program.

Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process

NBKC offers a simple four-step application process for mortgage loans:

1. Application — You can fill out the long or short loan application depending on how detailed you want to be.
  2. Document Delivery — Mortgage loan documents are delivered to you, then signed and returned to NBKC.
  3. Appraisal and Title Work — An appraisal is ordered and the bank works with you or your agent to ensure that title work is ordered.
  4. Closing — After documentation is received, an NBKC rep walks you through the final details and you close at a local title company or attorney's office.

Loan Types Available

• Fixed-rate mortgages make for easy budgeting since the monthly fees amount paid to your loan servicer is the same each month. A fixed-rate mortgage is not affected by fluctuating interest rates. NBKC offers fixed-rate mortgages for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year terms.
  • Adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) work well for borrowers that plan to move or refinance before the end of the fixed-rate period, as your monthly mortgage payment may fluctuate after the end of the period according to changes in interest rate. NBKC offers 5/1 ARMs, which means the interest rate is fixed for the first five years of the loan, after which the interest rate can change annually.
  • FHA loans require less out-of-pocket cash than most conventional loans and can be obtained with a fair-to-good credit rating. For that reason, FHA loans may be an attractive option for borrowers that have dealt with financial hardship.
  • VA loans are for qualified U.S. veterans and service members and are backed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. A VA home loan generally does not require a down payment.

Helpful Financial Calculators

NBKC Bank provides website visitors with 17 financial calculators that assist prospective home buyers taking inventory of their finances and estimating mortgage payments based on money available for a down payment, time, credit score, and other factors. These tools help you identify the right type of home loan for your particular situation. Here are the calculators:

• Mortgage Comparison: 15 Years vs. 30 Years
  • Fixed Rate Mortgage vs. Interest Only Mortgage
  • Fully Amortizing ARM vs. Interest Only ARM
  • Mortgage Points Calculator
  • Refinance Interest Savings
  • Determine ARM Payments
  • Determine Required Minimum Distribution (RMD)
  • Retirement Planner
  • Certificate of Deposit (CD) Calculator
  • College Savings
  • Maximum Mortgage Calculator
  • Net Worth Growth Potential

Most importantly, NBKC gives you today's mortgage rates when you fill out a simple form on the website that includes credit score (starting with excellent credit), what you will pay for the down payment, home location, and estimated home value.

The Bad

• Limited Office Locations
  • Mobile App Limitations

Limited Office Locations

Most work for NBKC is done online or over the phone because office locations are limited. NBKC has only three office locations: Overland Park, KS, Leawood, KS, and Kansas City, MO. This aspect may deter remote borrowers who feel more comfortable discussing their mortgage face-to-face.

Mobile App Limitations

In addition to mortgages, NBKC Bank offers personal online banking and business banking services including business loans, treasury solutions, credit card management, auto loans, home equity loans, savings and checking account services, and CDs. Most of these services can be managed on the NBKC Bank mobile app for both iOS and Android.

However, the mobile app is exclusively for the above banking services rather than for managing a loan, finding local realtors, or house hunting. A more all-inclusive app, or perhaps even a separate mortgage-focused app, would make borrowing from NBKC Bank even more convenient than it already is.

The Bottom Line

NBKC Bank provides several types of mortgages nationwide and utilizes a streamlined online application process for each mortgage program. Plus, origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding are all done on-site. The Costco member discounts are added perks.

Most significant, though, is the customer satisfaction evidenced by the NBKC mortgage reviews below. Overall, most customers speak highly of the company's loan officers and other representatives' attention to detail and customer care throughout the home buying process, confirming the company's excellent customer service.

Users give NBKC an average of 4.5/5 stars in all of our sentiment criteria:

• Value for your money
  • Quality of product or service
  • Customer service
  • Company trustworthiness

If you're nervous about the prospect of purchasing a home loan online, know that NBKC Bank is equipped to provide you with a positive experience. From the efficiency of the application process to the personal service of its loan officers, this lender gets online mortgage lending right.

4.9

Ann Daniels

June 7th, 2020 Miami, FL

This was a very simple process. Matt did am excellent job responding to all of our questions in a very timely manner.

Sally Rice

June 7th, 2020 Orange Beach, AL

Rhett did a great job processing the loan application and answering a myriad of questions along the way

Kara Conrad

June 6th, 2020 Kirkland, WA

Rhett did a great job explaining things, one of our biggest concerns and not going with other companies was the pushy nature and "used car salesman" feel we got. We explained our situation and instead of feeling like it was pushy it was more informative and giving us the option to decide what worked best for us which we truly appreciated. I will definitely be giving this recommendation out to other friends.

Jim Feehery

June 5th, 2020 Elmhurst, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Michael is very professional and made the process very easy from start to finish. I could not have been more impressed with the level of responsiveness and attention to detail that I received throughout.

ravi

June 5th, 2020 Powell, OH

I found NBKC bank and Shawn D through Costco's referral program. Shawn was very easy to work with and VERY quick about responding to my every single question from the beginning to the end.

Vinay Kumar

June 4th, 2020 Grapevine, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a great experience and everything went smooth

gerald Burke

June 4th, 2020 Elk River, MN

You were very thorough. The on line process was great.

Jesse Bryce

June 4th, 2020 Houston, TX

The loan process was straight forward and was easy to work with the NBKC team. They were quick to respond and resolve issues. Special thanks to Matt H for navigating us through everything from start to close.

Christina Melton

June 4th, 2020 Rancho Santa Margarita, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a great experience with Jay A and NBKC Bank! Jay was very personable and easy to work with. I would highly recommend!

Darrin K

June 4th, 2020 Kapolei, HI

This is probably the most easiest loan process that I have ever been apart of. From the beginning to the end the process was quick and efficient. I would recommend working with NBKC to anyone who needs financing. Most of the process was done online, the final closing documents were signed at our home with a Notary but that process to less than 30 minutes! Awesome experience. Thank you!

David Woon

June 4th, 2020 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

1st time working with this bank on refinancing. Robert F was great to work with, he provided prompt response. Provided that my credit scores met the requirements, closing was smooth.

chyi-woei chu

June 4th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV

I had a great experience with NBKC. The loan officer, Jeff Y was extremely helpful. He reviewed my documents, reducing unneeded ones to speed up refi process. I got the interest rate I wanted with least fees. I reduced $220 on my monthly payment without loan origination fee. I closed my loan in a month. I love it. I highly recommend Mr. Jeff Y.

Jeff Wagner

June 4th, 2020 Sunfield, MI

Good service and conversation. Very convenient.

Dottie

June 4th, 2020 Littleton, CO

I am very happy with the service of my loan with NBKC. Ronald M was very helpful and also always available to answer any questions I had during this process.

Wendy Ruprecht Dufay

June 4th, 2020 Bellingham, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This was my first experience with the NBKC. I was referred by the Costco Mortgage program and everything was great. It was a smooth process and my lender was always in contact with updates.I will use the bank and specifically Zach S again if I have the need.

Scott A

June 3rd, 2020 Kailua-Kona, HI

Herb M was very accommodating and very helpful throughout the entire process. In the midst of what I know to have been a busy season, he made the time to always respond. I very much appreciated the streamlined technology... certainly made the process easier. Thank you!

Dee Athnos

June 3rd, 2020 Seattle, WA

Joe Z made the process simple and without a glitch. He was direct, thorough, and easy to contact.

Eric and Shari Barre

June 3rd, 2020 Monroe, NC

Ryan was awesome! It was so simple to upload documents, and the entire process was smooth and done entirely from home. Communication was excellent. He quickly responded to any questions we had. The notary came to our house as there were no available places to meet in these troubled times. We highly recommend NBKC and Ryan V for stellar service and low rates for a home refinance.

Noel Osorio

June 3rd, 2020 Scotts Valley, CA

The online application was easy. I got a response the same Sunday from Matt. He was very professional and informative. I decided to engage with NBKC after turning down another lender. Great decision. Matts' communication skill is top notch. NBKC proved to be the superior and more experienced lender than most. I got the lowest rate possible and locked it the same day I got the quote. The rest of the process was smooth, from esign to downloading documents and to email/phone conversations. Five star.

Wally Peterson

June 2nd, 2020 Boulder, CO

Best refinance ever. Herb M was the best. Great customer service

Iris Richardson

June 2nd, 2020 Bowie, MD

The whole process took about 30 days from start to finish. They worked with me and my needs. My only complaint is I wish they would have provided more information as we were going through the steps. My loan officer however did get back to me fairly quickly when I did have questions.

Janet Brown

June 2nd, 2020 Atlanta, GA

Maggie N provided excellent service. She was very responsive and kept me informed about the status of the loan application.

Matt Duncan

June 2nd, 2020 Minneapolis, MN

Our mortgate representative was excellent. They made this situation easy to understand and answered all questions that we had.

Mike Anderson

June 2nd, 2020 Elizabeth, NJ

We accessed NBKC as a referral through our Costco membership. Jeff P, our loan officer has been excellent, providing updates and communication during the entire process of refinancing our current mortgage. We are absolutely satisfied with the services provided by Jeff - and the loan rate that we received!Highly recommend this funding source! Mike & Sue Anderson

Uriah Edmunds

June 2nd, 2020 Hillsboro, OR

Cheryl made the process so seamless and continued to work with me on all my questions up until the day of close. We had considered when rates would move lower, the COVID deferrment program on our existing mortgage and pushing to reduce closing costs. She did everything timely and in such a professional manner. I wasn't sure about using a non-local lender but after reading other reviews and getting her attention - she made it easy. Thank you Cheryl for making this so quick and painless!

Aamir Suleman

June 2nd, 2020 Ashburn, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Paige is an amazing person to work with and truly profession. She has always kept me in the loop and updated me at appropriate times.

bg

June 1st, 2020 Kent, WA

Great, efficient service and prompt communication through the entire process.

William Horbatuk

June 1st, 2020 Katy, TX

Working with Bernie K was the best. Gathering all the required documents and sending them electronically was the worst, but understandable given the circumstances

Patti Richards

May 29th, 2020 Seattle, WA

They were easy to work with and walked me through this seamlessly.

Bryan Oates

May 29th, 2020 Milwaukee, WI

Paige was fantastic throughout our closing process. She was always available to answer any questions we had and we are grateful for all her help in our first time home buying experience.

Marvin Rodriguez

May 29th, 2020 Visalia, CA

The transaction was very smooth. Travis S was helpful. We're very happy with the results!

Kesav Rayaprolu

May 29th, 2020 Redmond, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was able to get my home loan through NBKC, they had the best rate.

Rajesh Allam

May 29th, 2020 Kirkland, WA

Zach made the entire process very simple for us. Zach was very clear in his communication, gave us regular updates , always answered all of our queries with great details and fast responses without any need for follow up . Glad to work with Zach and highly recommend for others . Appreciate all the help

Rusty Foreman

May 28th, 2020 Whitehall, MI

NBKC Bank representatives were straight forward, responsive and easy to with. In addition, the loan offer was better than any other I received with no hidden costs. Al-in-all a very good experience.

dssd

May 28th, 2020 Kapolei, HI

Maggie N made my experience with refinancing quick and easy. From start to finish she kept me informed and answered all my questions. Compared to the last time we re-financed our home loan, this was extremely easier and less time consuming on my end. Will recommend Maggie to anyone who asks me about Financing for a home. Great Job!

Vicki L Brooks

May 28th, 2020 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great experience. Was so easy I kept asking myself whats the catch. But no catch, easy online application, low fees, good competitive rates and friendly service with good communication. Did some comparison with other lenders and they were the best. We went through the Costco program.

Peter

May 28th, 2020 Littleton, MA

I found NBKC through my Costco Membership Mortgage service. I couldn't be more happy! CJ S was my contact and proved to be exceptionally helpful to me. Answered ALL my many questions. Was always on top of things and checking in on me to see if I had questions or wanted an update on rates. I was nervous about doing everything online but the process was so smooth. CJ was always fast to respond to my emails at all time of day or night. WE closed on time and I am grateful I went with CJ and NBKC! Would definitely use them again and recommend them highly and I don't just say that!!

Steven Brown

May 28th, 2020 Castle Rock, CO

The best home refinance experience I’ve ever had. Process was simple, straight forward and easy to follow and Ron was great to work with.

Mary Dye

May 27th, 2020 San Jose, CA

They made the process easy to follow and our broker was very clear about our options and the requirements. He was also very responsive to our questions.

Juan/carol Zuniga

May 27th, 2020 Riverside, CA

Mark H was the agent who helped us was very professional and efficient.He made our process very easy NBKC was the bank who worked with us with all our needs

John C

May 27th, 2020 Waukesha, WI

Zach S was very attentive and showed real interest in making me comfortable through out the entire process. I was one of the absolute first customers to complete a virtual online closing for my refinance procedure at 100%. Would recommend NBKC and Zach S to anyone who is in market to buy or refinance their property.

Carl Sundquist

May 27th, 2020 Redmond, WA

Joe was very prompt and found the best deal that met our needs. Everything was done in a very timely manner and their were no unexpected delays or hiccups.

Larry R

May 27th, 2020 New Orleans, LA

Fast attentive service. Very straightforward process

Venkata Geddam

May 26th, 2020 Duluth, GA

Very good, mark is excellent person, he helped me in every step . process took a while but he covered very well,

Aaron McCrone

May 26th, 2020 Somerset, NJ

CJ was great to work with, kept me in the loop when appraisal delays were in question.

Shirley Chen

May 22nd, 2020 Staten Island, NY

They keeps words what they have told me. It takes a little bit longer than I expected. Still excellent service.

Maya Jebb

May 22nd, 2020 Palmyra, MI

I am surprised how everybody mentioned how attentive Brad was. I applied for a refi loan and after he sent me the list of paper work he needed I had everything sent out within 2 days. I would never hear from Brad unless I initiated the contact. I didn't know if he received all of the uploaded paper work and I had to email if he got it. Then I didn't hear for weeks until I asked again where we are standing. After a few more papers the underwriter needed again nothing for a couple of weeks until I asked again. It was like pulling teeth to get any info about where we are. The process was fairly easy but absolutely no interest from Brad! After the notary was here I don't know what happened next. Will the new Mortgage Company contact us, do we get a note from the old Mortgage carrier that they are paid off, will the Insurance be notified that there is a new Mortgage carrier??? I have no idea. No support whatever from Brad! Will not be back!

Tom Dozier

May 22nd, 2020 Livermore, CA

The did a refinance loan on my home. Others turned me away because of issues on my tax return (past loss carryover and self-employed), but they got me the loan, with a great rate, without using my tax return. Fantastic! Great people to work with. Communication and commitment was outstanding.

Gregory Pesina

May 22nd, 2020 Fontana, CA

I truly appreciated the customer service provided by Jay and his transparency. Jay is truly a professional. The ease of applying, the process was quick and efficient. My overall experience was very well satisfied and I will recommend NBKC Bank to my friends.

Lisa Holodnak

May 21st, 2020 Glendale, AZ

Easy to do business with, all electronic. Service for the loan refi was terrific would recommend them. Help you with many options to get the loan that would work for you. Closing was a little confusing, but it all worked out, the loan officer Robert was terrific.