NBKC Bank (National Bank of Kansas City) is a full-service, FDIC-insured bank and an approved Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lender.

NBKC currently has the best customer score among all reviewed mortgage lenders with an average overall score of 4.9/5 stars from verified customer reviews

The company’s consistently high volume of mortgage loans, low overhead costs, centralized operations, and advanced technology allow it to cut closing costs significantly.

Along with more than 20 years of mortgage lending experience, NBKC Bank offers borrowers:

• online lending nationwide
  • an easy and efficient online application process,
  • educational resources including 17 financial calculators,
  • customized loan options, and
  • excellent customer service reported by reviewers.

NBKC's purchase and refinance loan products include:

• Fixed-rate mortgages (offers rates for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year terms)
  • 5/1 ARMs (Adjustable Rate Mortgages)
  • FHA loans
  • VA loans

In addition to providing conventional, VA, and FHA loans in all 50 states, NBKC Bank offers credit cards, online checking accounts, savings accounts, CDs, personal loans, auto loans, recreational vehicle loans, business loans and treasury solutions, and HELOC (home equity line of credit) loans.

NBKC is partnered with Military Makeover, an organization that provides unique benefits to men and women who have served in the U.S. armed forces.

The Good

• Mortgage Rates
  • Available Nationwide
  • Discounts for Costco Members
  • Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process
  • Loan Types Available
  • Helpful Financial Calculators

Mortgage Rates

While mortgage rates can change daily and evenly hourly, the NBKC website provides instant illustrative chart data for any proposed mortgage loan. That way, prospective borrowers can get a feel for the mortgage rate, APR, payment P&I, and lender fees they can expect for a given loan amount, down payment, credit score, and location. Loan programs pictured include 30-year fixed, 15-year fixed, and 5/1 ARMs.

Available Nationwide

NBKC lending services are available in all 50 states due to the company's online mortgage lending model. Prospective borrowers who want to apply for loans can do so from the website, eliminating office wait times and travel costs.

Though the loan process takes place remotely for borrowers not local to NBKC's offices in Kansas and Missouri, borrowers can be confident they are being well taken care of: loan origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding all happen on-site.

Discounts for Costco Members

NBKC charges low, flat origination fees across all loans except VA loans. Costco members with an Executive membership, Gold Star membership, or Business membership status receive discounts on NBKC's origination fee, whereas many other lenders do not offer any discounts off their lender fees.

It’s nice that in addition to access to Costco gas stations, cash-back rewards, and discount rewards, a Costco membership benefits you when you choose NBKC as one of its participating lenders through the Costco mortgage services program.

Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process

NBKC offers a simple four-step application process for mortgage loans:

1. Application — You can fill out the long or short loan application depending on how detailed you want to be.
  2. Document Delivery — Mortgage loan documents are delivered to you, then signed and returned to NBKC.
  3. Appraisal and Title Work — An appraisal is ordered and the bank works with you or your agent to ensure that title work is ordered.
  4. Closing — After documentation is received, an NBKC rep walks you through the final details and you close at a local title company or attorney's office.

Loan Types Available

• Fixed-rate mortgages make for easy budgeting since the monthly fees amount paid to your loan servicer is the same each month. A fixed-rate mortgage is not affected by fluctuating interest rates. NBKC offers fixed-rate mortgages for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year terms.
  • Adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) work well for borrowers that plan to move or refinance before the end of the fixed-rate period, as your monthly mortgage payment may fluctuate after the end of the period according to changes in interest rate. NBKC offers 5/1 ARMs, which means the interest rate is fixed for the first five years of the loan, after which the interest rate can change annually.
  • FHA loans require less out-of-pocket cash than most conventional loans and can be obtained with a fair-to-good credit rating. For that reason, FHA loans may be an attractive option for borrowers that have dealt with financial hardship.
  • VA loans are for qualified U.S. veterans and service members and are backed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. A VA home loan generally does not require a down payment.

Helpful Financial Calculators

NBKC Bank provides website visitors with 17 financial calculators that assist prospective home buyers taking inventory of their finances and estimating mortgage payments based on money available for a down payment, time, credit score, and other factors. These tools help you identify the right type of home loan for your particular situation. Here are the calculators:

• Mortgage Comparison: 15 Years vs. 30 Years
  • Fixed Rate Mortgage vs. Interest Only Mortgage
  • Fully Amortizing ARM vs. Interest Only ARM
  • Mortgage Points Calculator
  • Refinance Interest Savings
  • Determine ARM Payments
  • Determine Required Minimum Distribution (RMD)
  • Retirement Planner
  • Certificate of Deposit (CD) Calculator
  • College Savings
  • Maximum Mortgage Calculator
  • Net Worth Growth Potential

Most importantly, NBKC gives you today's mortgage rates when you fill out a simple form on the website that includes credit score (starting with excellent credit), what you will pay for the down payment, home location, and estimated home value.

The Bad

• Limited Office Locations
  • Mobile App Limitations

Limited Office Locations

Most work for NBKC is done online or over the phone because office locations are limited. NBKC has only three office locations: Overland Park, KS, Leawood, KS, and Kansas City, MO. This aspect may deter remote borrowers who feel more comfortable discussing their mortgage face-to-face.

Mobile App Limitations

In addition to mortgages, NBKC Bank offers personal online banking and business banking services including business loans, treasury solutions, credit card management, auto loans, home equity loans, savings and checking account services, and CDs. Most of these services can be managed on the NBKC Bank mobile app for both iOS and Android.

However, the mobile app is exclusively for the above banking services rather than for managing a loan, finding local realtors, or house hunting. A more all-inclusive app, or perhaps even a separate mortgage-focused app, would make borrowing from NBKC Bank even more convenient than it already is.

The Bottom Line

NBKC Bank provides several types of mortgages nationwide and utilizes a streamlined online application process for each mortgage program. Plus, origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding are all done on-site. The Costco member discounts are added perks.

Most significant, though, is the customer satisfaction evidenced by the NBKC mortgage reviews below. Overall, most customers speak highly of the company's loan officers and other representatives' attention to detail and customer care throughout the home buying process, confirming the company's excellent customer service.

Users give NBKC an average of 4.5/5 stars in all of our sentiment criteria:

• Value for your money
  • Quality of product or service
  • Customer service
  • Company trustworthiness

If you're nervous about the prospect of purchasing a home loan online, know that NBKC Bank is equipped to provide you with a positive experience. From the efficiency of the application process to the personal service of its loan officers, this lender gets online mortgage lending right.

Call our recommended rep over at NBKC Bank below.

4.9

Oscar J. Mauricio
June 28th, 2018 Cypress, TX

Mark H. was outstanding in his Customer Service skills in helping us through the process, primary of which was the excellent and very timely communications we had, towards making the closing of our loan in an expedited time frame.

Jason
June 28th, 2018

Scott A. was extremely attentive and very quick to answer any questions; even on off hours and weekends. We’ve already recommended him to another buyer who is also using Scott to purchase their home. We can’t say enough good things about him and hope our future referrals will show our appreciation. Thanks again Scott!

Timothy Streets
June 28th, 2018 Kearney, MO DETAILS

NBKC Bank and Damian H. made our mortgage loan process as easy as possible for us and everyone involved. He was always in communication when we had questions. He was willing to work with us and feel like he was invested in helping us find the best path for us to get into our new home. Thank you!

Lynne
June 28th, 2018 Newhall, CA

CHOOSE THIS BANK!! Save time and energy by choosing NBKC - Responsive, honest, accurate. Great rates. Best finance experience. Worked with Steve M. Found bank through Costco after dealing with several banks/brokers who engaged in games (bait and switch, “this is your best rate” - would only reduce if I found a lower rate elsewhere, would say online list had an error, couldn’t honor their rate online, would provide papers with a higher rate than discussed, etc.) just go with NBKC who honored rates showing online, provided better deal, answered calls quickly and closed quickly. Painless. Will recommend and refer others.

Lisa Subcasky
June 28th, 2018 Meridian, ID

We enjoyed working with Jennifer. She was very helpful and responsive to all our questions and requests. The process worked very smoothly and will be happy to recommend NBKC Bank to others.

Sarai Rossel
June 28th, 2018 Concord, CA

Nick L. helped me in such a professional way since the very beginning; he kept in touch with me during the whole process, he called me back every time I needed, I'm so grateful for finding our guys.

Charles & Carol Fisher
June 28th, 2018 Jenks, OK

Tony M. at NBKC was very nice to work with. This was our first experience with him and NBKC. We were introduced to NBKC through the Costco referral program. The application process, the supplying of documentation to them, and closing were relatively easy. Having been a loan underwriter and loan processor in the past my wife is very hands on, and stayed in touch with Tony very closely. We closed on time even though all of the closing docs needed to be overnighted as this was a home purchase in FL, we live in OK, and NBKC is elsewhere. Excellent!!!

richard evans
June 28th, 2018 Louisville, KY

Refinancing was made very simple by bret and all the folks at nbkc. Bret is extremely well-mannered, listened well and helped tremendously through the process. He kept us updated so there were no surprises.

Nadir Elfarra
June 28th, 2018 Pasadena, CA DETAILS

This was the third loan we have placed through NBKC (two purchases and one refinance). Each time it has been a smooth, seamless process. During our second purchase our original loan officer, Brad G., was promoted and a new loan officer, Mike Y., took over. Rather than have to start over, Mike picked up the ball and kept it moving without the least bit of delay. Brad and Mike were both great communicators and very helpful in answering any of our questions and keeping us up to date on the process. On top of the great customer service, NBKC offered better rates than other banks (including those with whom I have strong business-related banking relationships). I have every reason I need to continue working with NBKC on my mortgage needs.

Allison Winget
June 27th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

We chose to fund our new home through NBKC and we couldn't have been happier! Zach S. helped us through each step of the process, providing explanations and making sure things were going smoothly. We wanted to close as quickly as possible and he made it happen!

Richard Winget
June 27th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

I needed a home loan and found NBKC through Costco. I do not live in Kansas, all our communication was over the phone, text messages or email. The experience was fantastic. Origination costs were less than the other three quotes we got. Our loan officer was very responsive. The guidance was much appreciated. The sale was by owner and we didn't have a realtor. We also needed to close quickly. We were able to close sooner than I expected and the loan officer gave me all the information that I needed. I'm very happy with our loan origination experience at NBKC.

Y Levine
June 27th, 2018 Richmond Hill, NY DETAILS

friendly and knowledgeable staff (CJ) quick responses competitive rates

Cheryl Hammack
June 26th, 2018 Denver, CO

Working with NBKC and mortgage lender, Lisa T., was a very pleasurable experience. We refinanced our home pulling equity out and Lisa made the whole experience easy. She answered our questions timely and very thorough; was very patient with us as we took our time to review everything; she was incredibly responsive and easy to work with. I highly recommend. Once we moved to closing, the process was quick and painless.

khanh hinh
June 26th, 2018 San Jose, CA

Excellent lender, was referred by Costco. My loan agent CJ was tremendously knowledgeable and help me find the best type of loan for me as a first time home buyer. Exceptional rates and loan amount with my credit scores. I had three other lenders and they couldn’t compete with NBKC bank. I can’t say enough about NBKC bank and my loan agent CJ, keep up the excellent job and thank you CJ..

Winmarie Belt
June 25th, 2018 Lubbock, TX

I chose NBKC Bank through Costco's mortgage purchase program. It was easy and quick to get an initial quote from them to see if I wanted to even consider them. After the initial quote, I had a representative, Chad W., contact me to get more information. I really liked that he was obviously trying to get a sale, but he never tried to push me to sign anything right away. He was very helpful with all of my questions and was very prompt in his responses. Overall, the home loan process was super easy. Chad was always on top of things and super helpful and friendly. I would recommend NBKC Bank for home loan purchases.

Hank Apodaca
June 25th, 2018 Willows, CA

We have had a very satisfactory experience with Tony and NBKC. Working with this bank was straight forward and with ease. We appreciate that this bank will go the extra mile to make the loan happen. We will recommend this bank to others.

Shanna
June 25th, 2018 Melbourne, FL

Jordan went over and above to get the loan closed early. He did an amazing job!

MMallet
June 25th, 2018 Kingman, AZ

I found NBKC Bank through Costco Mortgage Services. Kati B. was great to work with. She was very easy to contact and responded in a timely manner to any questions. Kati sent regular status updates so I always knew what was happening with the my loan application. The entire process was painless and it closed pretty quickly. I am very satisfied.

Thomas Short
June 25th, 2018 Kearney, MO

From the very beginning everything was smooth .They were very clear about the loan process and answered all my questions promptly. I had no stress through NBKC and Dan R. who was my lending agent .I really like Dan R. He is the very definition of Profesionalism and gives this institution a very good name. He has over 17 years of doing his job and it shows ! Everything Dan quoted was spot on. I have the unfortunate dealings with other lenders who string you out through the loan process and at the last minute surprise with more document hiccups or fail to come through on the original quote and non disclosure on closing fees. I purchase a Home on 6/21/18 in Kearney, MO. with a 28 day close.

Katrina Elder
June 25th, 2018 Centralia, WA

Myra went above and beyond to answer all our questions through the entire purchase of our house.

Jessica
June 21st, 2018 Bellevue, WA

I didn't know much about NBKC Bank but I trusted the Costco program. The loan officer we worked with, Jason V., was such a pleasure to work with. We appreciate his professionalism, knowledge, and responsiveness throughout the loan process. For us, getting a loan was the easiest part of our home buying experience.

Judith Gatena
June 21st, 2018 Nashville, TN

Brett is the man! He made this whole experience from end to end flawless for me. Not only did NBKC provide me with a low rate but the service and experience were the best I have had in the many years of buying and selling homes.

Matt
June 21st, 2018 Kansas City, MO

Andrew was the ultimate professional, who provided the best customer service I have ever received while applying for a loan. He always responded promptly and was very detailed oriented. I will recommend him to all my friends and family.

Daniel Gray
June 21st, 2018 Montgomery, IL

I worked with Dave N. and he was excellent. First time home buyer and Dave couldn't have made it any easier. We heard of NBKC through the Costco mortgage program and we utilized a VA home loan.

Raymond Logan
June 20th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Dave D. did an excellent job of informing, educating, coordinating, and closing the needs and requirement of the NBKC underwriters to bring our Closing and funding to a simple and quick end for initiation of our mortgage. I certainly trust him and NBKC to keep our needs as simplified and stable as promised and have no reason to doubt they will.

ASIM
June 20th, 2018 Houston, TX

I am a first time home buyer and used Sharon from NBKC bank for mortgage. She was very responsive, trustworthy and closed my loan in less than 25 days. I highly recommend Sharon.

Lisa Astle
June 19th, 2018 Long Beach, CA

Jason M. was very attentive and professional throughout the entire process.

Bryan Digel
June 18th, 2018 Bellevue, WA

Everything went smoothly. Specifically Rhett B. did in excellent job with communication and coordination with all parties involved. Service and responsiveness was top notch and pricing seemed good as well.

Joseph Rankin
June 18th, 2018 Dover, NJ

Rhett B. is amazing! He helped us every step of the way and made this experience as great as could be! We ran into many snags (none of his doing) and he was able to help us get through all of them and get us to closing! He is an invaluable asset to NBKC and should get a raise from whatever he makes :) Thanks again Rhett and we wish you well with all of your future customers - they'll be lucky to have you!

John Whitton
June 18th, 2018 Ocean View, DE

Our loan officer Dave A. was very helpful, informative and answered questions with complete knowledge and full disclosure.

L Gagne
June 18th, 2018 Pequea, PA

We had been looking for a home for more than two years in a seller’s market where multiple offers were often being made the first day good homes were listed. We applied for a VA mortgage prequalification through Costco and were directed to NBKC. Mike L. was a godsend. Application was quick and without any fuss. In several instances Mike provided custom prequalification letters literally within 15 minutes of our request so that we were able to make offers immediately after viewing the homes. Once we found the home we wanted, Mike provided the letter and our offer was ahead of other buyers. Then Mike worked closely with us and our realtor to facilitate the process of counter offers and negotiating a final price. He locked in the rate for us and got the loan closed quickly. I couldn’t be happier with Mike’s excellent support through this difficult process. We now own the home of our dreams and we couldn’t have done it without Mike L.

Sam Chuang
June 18th, 2018 Fisherville, MA DETAILS

Dallas O. was an excellent loan officer who helped us through the entire process and answered all our questions.

Ibad Siddiqi
June 18th, 2018 Lee's Summit, MO

I recently applied for a mortgage with quite a few lenders. NBKC had the best rates. I am glad they did, not just for the lower monthly payment, but my loan originator, Beau L., was awesome. He was constantly on top of everything, in the rare instance he was not able to answer his phone he would return emails and calls promptly. Beau made this process so easy and headache free! I know he had other loans to process but he made it feel like he was solely focused on mine. With Beau's and everyone's hard work at NBKC we bought a great home!

Rajeev Sawant
June 15th, 2018 Holmdel, NJ

The entire transaction was very efficient and smooth. Scott answered all the questions in detail and was very prompt in answering emails and calls. He stayed on top of all the information and timeline and we did not have to worry about every little detail that goes in this transaction. His customer service was excellent.

Matthew Monford
June 15th, 2018 Houston, TX

Our loan officer was responsive, friendly, and knowledgeable. Would highly recommend Joy M. and her team to other veterans who are looking for a competitive interest rate and great service.

Edward M. Bediamol
June 14th, 2018 Kahului, HI

Dan K. contacted me first and helped me through the loan process. He always checked up on me even though I'm half an ocean away in Maui, Hawaii. It was great working with him and I'm now the proud owner of a home in Kihei, Hawaii.

Anthony Gonzales
June 14th, 2018 Sparks, NV

Our loan girl Jessica walk as through the process. She was patient and informative. She answered all our concerns and on top of all the paperwork we needed. Overall it was painless and quick.

Rebekah Rauckman
June 14th, 2018 Kansas City, MO

NBKC was very responsive when I reached out about a pre-qualification. When I needed that amount increased, they turned it around in an hour so I could purchase a house. Once we were under contract they walked me through the documents I was confused about and were very patient!

Colin Horak
June 13th, 2018 Puyallup, WA

Aaron T. was a highly competent professional and extremely diligent during the loan process. I was impressed with his timely communication and wealth of knowledge about his products. He was routinely available by phone to answer my questions and provided ample guidance in helping me secure a plethora of documents. All in all, I am very thankful and satisfied with my experience working with Aaron and NBKC Bank. Thank you!

Derek Wilson
June 13th, 2018 Cromwell, CT

NBKC really has it together! Smooth process for collecting documents and guiding us through the process.

Sanjay Bhatia
June 13th, 2018 Austin, TX DETAILS

Got home laon thru Shane C. with NBKC bank. It was as smooth and seamless as possible. Shane was very professional, knowledgeable and courteous. He was readily available at any time for questions and expert advice. That with exceptional low rates from NBKC was a wonderful experience. Everything was done at or before time. Thank you

Nels Walther
June 13th, 2018 Portland, OR

Excellent customer service. Very accessible personnel. Friendly and knowledgeable. Kept the closing process on time and got us a very good rate. Steve M., our loan officer, was the best I’ve ever worked with. I wish I could shake his hand.

TODD A SPINKS
June 13th, 2018 Chicago, IL

Brett went out of his way to answer question and get us thru the process. The underwriting took a little longer than we expected.

Alex Ziegler
June 12th, 2018 Lenexa, KS

My officer was Trent G., he did a great job and had good attention to detail throughout the process. I would highly recommend him for anyone seeking a loan through NBKC.

Jay Avey
June 12th, 2018 Austin, TX

Justin did a fabulous job in communication, transparency and professionalism. He was very helpful in providing information and guidance in getting our mortgage loan completed on time. Our appreciation goes out to Justin B.! Thank you

Joe
June 12th, 2018 The Bronx, NY

I worked with Mary B. She was helpful, responsive, proactive, informative, friendly yet businesslike. I had the best experience I could have ever expected.

Kathy
June 12th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ

They were very easy to work with. I would recommend them to others.

Todd Landry
June 11th, 2018 Reno, NV

I had a great experience with Loan Originator, Mark H. with the cash out refinance of my home. As a preferred Costco lender, NBKC provided me with great customer service and an extremely competitive mortgage rate. I would definitely use NBKC for a future mortgage and would recommend them to friends and family.

Allison Manas
June 11th, 2018 Coral Gables, FL

Excellent personalized service. Quick response to text, calls and emails. Donna M. was fantastic.