Prudential was founded in 1875 and is headquartered in Newark, New Jersey. It is a global insurance company that offers financial services.

Regardless of what stage of life an individual may be in, Prudential offers a form of life insurance that can help build a strong financial foundation. Prudential carries term, universal, and variable life insurance policies that are customizable to meet individual needs.

View Prudential Reviews

Prudential has high financial strength ratings, which indicate that it is able to meet its claims obligations.

The Good

• Financial Strength Ratings
  • Positive Customer Reviews
  • Life Policies Available
  • Customizable Life Insurance
  • Online Tools

Financial Strength Ratings

Moody's, A.M. Best, Fitch, and S&P have all awarded Prudential with high ratings regarding their financial strength. These high ratings indicate Prudential's ability to meet its claims obligations, which is especially important for death benefit payouts to beneficiaries.

Positive Customer Reviews

Prudential has received many positive customer reviews and high star ratings on Best Company. Reviewers mention competitive pricing, satisfaction with coverage, and good experiences with company representatives. These positive Prudential reviews show that it is a trustworthy insurer.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Syl from North Port, Florida

"Prudential has always been responsive to make a change to my life insurance policy. My agent has been courteous, knowledgeable and helpful. I would recommend this company for their professionalism and they go to take care of my family."

Life Policies Available

Prudential's life insurance products and services include term life insurance and three permanent policy options: universal life insurance, variable universal life insurance, and indexed universal life insurance coverage.

Prudential also offers survivorship indexed universal life insurance and survivorship variable universal life insurance policies. These survivorship policies cover two people and pay the death benefit when both of the insured have passed away. However, the policy does not pay the death benefit until both of the insured have passed away.

Prudential's term insurance policies come with fixed premiums. Many of them also include a conversion option and an accelerated death benefit. The conversion option allows policyholders to convert their policy into a permanent one according to the terms set out in the policy.

The accelerated death benefit that allows the policyholder to receive the death benefit early if they become terminally ill. Depending on the kind of policy you choose, you can add riders like a disability waiver of premium to enhance your policy.

A nice feature of permanent life insurance is the cash value accumulation. The cash value can be used at any point, which makes it a living benefit. Each of Prudential's universal policy types grows the cash value in different funds. Each policyholder can choose an investment option or several based on the terms of the insurance policy.

Considering both the survivorship and universal life policies, Prudential offers nine different permanent policy plans. Remember your permanent coverage will last a lifetime as long as you make the premium payments.

If you're looking for a term life policy, universal life, or a survivorship insurance product, you can find good insurance policy options through Prudential. Ask questions about the underwriting for its policies.

Customizable Life Insurance

Prudential offers several personalized and customized life insurance policies, which makes it easy for consumers to find life insurance coverage that fits their situation.

Some of the policy's customizable features include the ability to choose between level or variable death benefits and level, variable, or dynamic premiums. This is great for consumers because it offers them flexibility to adjust their policy terms as their needs change over time. You can also add coverage and protection through optional riders.

Customers choosing a term policy may be able add the following riders to their policy depending on the plan type:

• Accelerated Death Benefit
  • Waiver of Premium
  • Children's Protection Rider

Customers choosing a universal life policy can add the following riders to their policy depending on plan type and state:

• Children Level Term Rider
  • Overloan Protection Rider
  • Enhanced Cash Value Rider
  • Estate Protection Rider

Possible riders for an indexed universal life policy include:

• Children Level Term Rider
  • Enhanced Cash Value Rider
  • Overloan Protection Rider
  • Estate Protection Rider

Rider possibilities for a variable universal life insurance policy include:

• Children Level Term
  • Enhanced Cash Value
  • Overloan Protection
  • Rider to Provide Lapse Protection
  • Guaranteed Policy Split Rider

These rider options allow customers to purchase insurance coverage specific to their needs.

Online Tools

Prudential provides several types of tools and informative guides to make your life insurance process easier. Some of the calculators provided are a life insurance need calculator, payment option APR calculator, and more.

The Bad

• No Whole Life
  • Limited Customer Service
  • Unknown Information

No Whole Life

While Prudential offers a variety of life insurance policies and riders, it does not offer a whole life insurance policy. If you're interested in that kind of permanent life insurance, you'll need to purchase coverage from another life insurance company.

Limited Customer Service

Prudential's customer service is not available 24/7. The support hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. ET.

Prudential also does not have a customer chat box option where customers can immediately speak with a representative on the site.

Unknown Information

Policies usually contain exclusions, limitations, reductions in benefits, and terms for keeping them in force. Work with a life insurance agent to be sure you understand the terms of the policy you buy. Once you go to their life insurance page, you can get a quote, contact a professional, or have a professional contact you.

The Bottom Line

Prudential is a large life insurance company that has built an impressive reputation over its many years in business. It offers great term policy and universal life insurance options. If you're looking for either kind of these policies, Prudential offers good options that can be customized to meet your needs. It also offers survivorship indexed and variable universal life policies for couples.

Unfortunately, unlike some competitors, they do not offer consumers a whole life insurance policy. Customers interested in a whole life insurance policy should look elsewhere.

Prudential has high financial strength ratings and great policy choices. Customers interested in a term insurance or universal life insurance plan should consider Prudential.

Call our recommended rep over at Prudential Life Insurance below.

3.7

Patrick Curry

September 15th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

Love the rates and ease of use of their sites to track our policy. We were offered a great rate and it's been very beneficial to us and will help our children in the future.

Dre35

September 4th, 2020 West Valley City, UT

Great rates! We've used Prudential for our term insurance for over 10 years, and we won't change!

Jeferson Paris

August 12th, 2020 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thanks God I did not use my life insurance to provide any feed back but I do receive periodic information and the company seems fine.

Mark E

August 12th, 2020 Hackensack, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a Life policy with Prudential for many years. Recently I had a call with a rep to discuss options and we came up with a better policy to suite my needs. I hope not to use it for many years, but hopefully it will serve its purpose when the time comes and the company will pay the beneficiaries without a hassle

Tina Taylor

July 26th, 2020 Ebensburg, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had this insurance for many years. The agents are professional and very helpful. We bought our sons' good policies at birth and now they have a great start as young adults.

Syl

February 21st, 2020 North Port, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Royal A. Brown III

February 11th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Too expensive especially as get older. I had $200K SGLI which converted to PGLI - the retired military plan - increasing term - went from $300 month to $460 when I hit 79 and will jump to $900 month at 75 which will be unaffordable for $200K coverage. I will look for an investment vehicle which will grow for less and still leave my wife with enougth coverage. I have subsequently dropped this coverage.

October 9th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve been with prudential since I got out of the military every 5 years the price goes up a bit though my debt goes down a bit as well so slowly I will lower my coverage to just make sure that my family will have enough to take care arrangements and any debt I have left.

Amy Boren

October 4th, 2019 American Fork, UT

we got quotes for and additional policy but the numbers were not what we were wanting so we decided against the policy.

Jazzy

May 20th, 2019 Beverly Hills, CA

I am so dissatisfied with the way this ridiculous life insurance company handle my application for new life insurance. They took me through a very unnecessary process just to decline my application. I am disabled due to migraine headaches from a traumatic head injury. Accidents happen. An insurance company shouldn't have the freaking right to decline someone due to their life status. I feel it's a form of discrimination. All of my Lab results were normal. They actually prolonged my application for no good reason. It should be against the law for an insurance company to deny someone life insurance due to being disabled at a young age. This company is really ridiculous!! Stay away from them if you're in my shoes. We all deserve to be able to take care of family in the event if our passing. No excuses and no exceptions! Just ridiculous!

Ashley

May 18th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought our life insurance through Prudential because of the low cost and because of the dependable name of Prudential. We are non smokers are in our early 50's so Prudential quoted us an incredible rate for what we needed at this time in our lives. We were very happy with the agent we are working with and feel very confident in referring others to Prudential.

Carrie Still

May 15th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been with this company for 20 years and never a late payment EVER. They just sent a notice that my husbands premium went from $42.00 a Month to $443.00. We called and they told us the rates went up because he is turning 60 and they no longer want to insured us. And yes they actually said that out loud. That's more the a car payment. They know people on fixed incomes can't afford that but they sure took our money for 20 years with no problem.

Lori

May 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been happy with our term life insurance policy with Prudential. It is pretty cheap considering the coverage for me and my husband. I don't know a whole lot about other companies but the process was very easy.

Scott

May 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a small term policy through Prudential that has since expired. I thought it was a good product during the time I had it but have since found much better options. Prudential may have made changes since but I would still look elsewhere.

Craig

May 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! After having a terrible experience with another life insurance company finding Prudential was a very pleasant experience. I was able to get a huge policy for a very low premium. It takes a lot of stress off my plate knowing that my family will be taken care of if something was to happen to me.

Jennifer

May 10th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our Prudential life insurance policy has been wonderful. We pay much less than other people we talk to for more coverage. Billing and service is very easy and helpful. The process of signing up and obtaining the policy was much easier than I could have imagined. If you need life insurance coverage, look into Prudential!!

Bryan Washington

March 8th, 2019 Lacey, WA

My Dad served our country for many of years in the military. He left my sister and step mom and me life insurance with multiple company's,farmers,vertrians affairs and Prudential. He missed one payment about 2 years before he passed no company gave us a hard time for this other than Prudential, they keep giving us the run around over the phone. I would strongly suggest using any other life insurance than Prudential. Farmers was great and actually helpful and reached out Prudential was noy.They are a bad company with bad morals. Would never wish anyone to have to go threw this they went as far as to say were making sure your Father didn't commit fraud.54 years on this planet Did alot for his church and the army And hasnt ever been to jail or even had a speeding ticket in 20 plus years. Long story short I appreciate everything my Dad did for us....We all meet the maker one day and Prudential is not worth the stress for your kids or whomever your leaving life insurance for if you have one with Prudential do a favor for your family and switch to a more reputable company for them I hope this helps people sincerely Bryan Washington.

Witherow

February 19th, 2019 Arab, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This has been the worst company to deal with. You can not get anything done with them unless you have a fax machine. Trying to get a simple address change after a move has been unsuccessful. They refuse to make the change and continue to send private information to an old address.

Michael bass

February 19th, 2019 Elkview, WV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’m on STD. And have had no luck with a call back from my claim manager, have called for days. The slowest company I’ve ever seen for processing a claim I give them a👎🏻Down

S Suguturaga

February 13th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The company provides various policies for different situations at a good price point.

marlene bennett

February 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Prudential is highly rated as a life insurance company and while I was with them I was able to save money on my plan

James M Connolly

February 11th, 2019 Hagerstown, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

PRUDENTIAL STOLE 33 YEARS I'm a disabled, diabetic, heart patient who survives on Social Security and food stamps. Just after my first daughter was born I bought a modest life insurance policy from Prudential. From 1986 until now I never missed a monthly payment. Twice along the way I needed to take out small loans against the policy, about $3k total. Both times I was informed the loans need not ever be repaid. The loans plus interest would be deducted from settlement when I passed away. In fact they encouraged me not to pay them back. They advised me to enjoy the benefit for being a long time loyal client, but really they just wanted the interest to grow. After over twenty years of "no contact" from Prudential they sent a demand letter for immediate payment of interest. Within the week "Heather" from Prudential called me. She told me her records indicated no one from Prudential had reached out to me in, literally, decades and wanted to apologize and find out if there was anything she could do for me. I told her about the demand letter and my financial situation. She promised this was some sort of error and she would correct it as soon as she hung up. She did not. Three days later The notice of cancelation arrived. Subsequent calls to Prudential have been fruitless. I explain it to them only to be bounced to someone else to start all over, 5 times then disconnected. Can someone help me understand how this is acceptable. Why would they ignore me for decades then change their own rules, without notice, then backstab a loyal client? It seems to me they must have access to my medical records and know I'm getting closer every day to needing the death benefit. I'll bet they search for ways to terminate the older clients before settlement comes due. These people played me for 33 years and I hope to maybe protect someone else from this predatory business behavior. Please repost this everywhere you can. Any constructive advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated. I was hoping Prudential would find a corporate conscience and do the right thing. I would like my family to have enough money to dispose of my remains and maybe split a pizza.

Brennan

February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Decent policy for a decent price. I found that Prudential offered competitive policies but didn't have the same level of service that I found with the policy I got to replace this one. If you go with Prudential you won't be disappointed but there are better options out there.

Kristiane R Durfey

February 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We currently have prudential life insurance and feel that it is a good company. Their premiums and policies offered were competitive with other companies and it is nice to know that we have insurance and will be covered if and when something happens. Haven't had to use it yet so I don't know how they are at collecting on the policy but we don't intend to find out anytime soon. Fingers crossed.

Brody B

February 6th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great coverage, easy to sign up, very knowledgeable agents. The policy I was issued a few years ago was the easiest life insurance policy I have ever gotten. The process was much faster than others I have done in the past. I was able to get more coverage for less money which was also a plus.

janalee sanders

February 6th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

we were with Prudential several years ago and were quite pleased. our rep was a very nice man who always took the time to answer any questions that we had. we always felt that he was being open and honest with us. we were able to get the coverage that was right for us at a price that we felt was fair.

Ann Bailey

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have several life insurance policies through Prudential Life. They have always been good to communicate, give loans when needed, and offer great term, and whole life rates.

Kent

February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a life insurance policy with Prudential. Customer service is poor at best and trying to access my funds in the whole life policy was a bad experience.

Lindsey B

February 4th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had term life insurance from Prudential for many years and have always been very happy with them. The price we pay for our policy is well below bids from other providers and the policy value is higher as a bonus. We will ALWAYS use Prudential for our life insurance needs.

Jeff B

January 30th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a Prudential Life Insurance policy for many years and overall my experience has been great. My only negative interaction was when I moved and my new zip code caused issues with billing. My policy was then suspended and it took some work to get them to realize the mistake and reinstate the policy. I do feel however that they were helpful in resolving the issue. I shopped this policy with other companies and Prudential gave me more coverage for the same price with others. Great Company!

Faith

January 15th, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My son died 3 months ago. They're still giving me the run around to pay out. Frankly, I think they're just trying to come up with a reason to deny it.

Grant

December 7th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Prudential Life Insurance is a company that I trust because of its reputation and integrity.

John

November 6th, 2018 Ashburn, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is about a Prudential Annuity...Worst company ... period. I am a corporate executive for a Fortune 500. I purchased an annuity which fully matured...is taking months to recover MY MONEY...countless calls, call transfers, promises to resolve...impossible to tell the whole story but this is the worst company ... period....not the worst financial sector company...the worst company ... period. Clueless

Kristin G

August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My husband and I have our life insurance through Prudential. They are a very reliable company that has been around for many years. I would highly recommend them because their customer service is very helpful and friendly.

Shane Rodney

July 19th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Responsibly priced insurance for peace of mind for our family.

Justin Vance

July 19th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My policies are good values for term insurance. Happy to pay the monthly cost for peace of mind. My universal life has only grown by the minimum guaranteed interest rate each year and isn’t performing as well as I had hoped. At least it’s covered the cost of insurance.

Joanne

February 5th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had a whole life policy and ended up losing $

Richard Oldenburg

February 5th, 2018 Tehachapi, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Totally paid program that started at $0.25 as a child. The $500 policy is now over $3,000

Dan Mackintosh

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It is a good quality company that I can depend on. It will be there when needed.

Dennis Wick

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Decent coverage at a decent price. Could use better customer service

Bill A

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good overall customer service and sales folks are good

BOB BURN

January 30th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

had for many years when my wife passed away payment was immediate no hassle

Elizabeth Prothro

September 14th, 2017 Albuquerque, NM

Fair pricing and good reliability and follow through.

Irene Schmigiel

September 14th, 2017 Buffalo, NY

Had one really bad situation with them years ago. Since then, I find it hard to really trust any insurance company.