LinkedIn Logo

7.4

LinkedIn is a social network and recruitment platform used by millions across the world. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, the website was launched in May of 2003. The company’s revenue comes from member subscriptions, advertising sales, and talent solutions. LinkedIn is soon to be acquired by Microsoft (2016).

Indeed Logo
#2 Indeed chevron_right
Glassdoor Logo
#4 Glassdoor chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Special features
  • Experience
  • Customer support
Price Range
LinkedIn offers free public individual profile and company pages as a form of social networking. Company pages can showcase a business to potential employees or customers. Personal profiles allow workers to make connections, give recommendations, and search for relevant employment opportunities. Users can share articles, videos, comments, and ideas with followers and connections. Additional services must be purchased. The basic LinkedIn premium plans and prices are as follows:
  • Job Seeker: 1 free month, then $29.99/month
  • Business Plus: 1 free month, then $47.99/month
  • Sales Navigator Professional: 1 free month, then $64.99/month
  • Recruiter Lite: 1 free month, then starts at $99.95/month
Larger companies with more extensive recruitment or advertising goals can upgrade to sponsored content to get their company's updates to more people, attract new followers, and get their message out on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. These plans are set up based on the company's budget and can be cost per click or cost per impression. Similar to the premium plans' option for a free trial, a free demo is available for sponsored content.
Reach
LinkedIn has over 433 million account members, with 106 million unique visiting members each month. There are 128 million members in the U.S., but the majority live in over 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Special Features
Accounts upgraded to premium have a number of additional avenues available to successfully network. These premium accounts are Job Seeker, Business Plus, Sales Navigator, and Recruiter Lite. Larger businesses with more recruiting needs as well as ad agencies can find additional plans and opportunities through LinkedIn's sales team. Job Seeker features:
  • Direct messaging to recruiters with 3 InMail credits
  • Move to top of recruiters' applicant lists
  • See who's viewed your profile in last 90 days and how they found you
  • See how you compare to other candidates with applicant insights
Business Plus features:
  • 15 InMail messages to contact anyone on LinkedIn
  • Business Insights: access to key metrics and trends of company
  • See who's viewed you in last 90 days and how they found you
  • Unlimited profile search
Sales Navigator features:
  • 15 InMail messages
  • Sales insights on accounts and leads, job changes, company growth
  • Advanced search with custom lead lists and advanced search filters
  • See what prospects interested in you in last 90 days
  • Unlimited profile search
  • Lead recommendations and saved leads
Recruiter Lite features:
  • 30 InMail messages with templates
  • Advanced search for finding candidates
  • Track candidates and open roles with Projects
  • Recruiting-specific design
  • See who's viewed you in the last 90 days
  • Unlimited profiles from search results and suggested profiles
  • Access all of Job Seeker Premium consumer features
LinkedIn has a number of mobile apps for both iOS and Android devices. The apps are:
  • LinkedIn-website functions adapted for mobile app
  • Job search-search for and apply in one click
  • Lookup-find, learn about, and contact coworkers
  • Lynda.com-expert-led courses available for download
  • SlideShare-access to over 18 million presentations, infographics, and videos
  • LinkedIn Groups-industry conversations (iOS only)
  • Pulse-daily professional news source
Premium Apps:
  • Recruiter-search and review profiles of potential hires
  • Sales Navigator-find leads and accounts in target market, connect, and get updates
  • Elevate-find and share interesting articles
Experience
LinkedIn was co-founded in 2003 by Reid Hoffman and a team of colleagues he had worked with from SocialNet and PayPal. The company began as a way for professionals to connect with each other, like an online address book. The following year they introduced groups, and in 2005 job posting and subscriptions became available. With a little over 11 years of experience in the job search industry, LinkedIn isn't the longest-standing company, but it's been around long enough to make major progress over the years, especially with its reach.
Customer Support
LinkedIn has a help forum discussion board where users can ask questions and receive responses from other users as well as LinkedIn staff. Users can sort discussion threads by most active, most votes, and newest, and apply more specific filters as they search for similar inquiries. The preferred contact with customer service directly was via an online form. After requesting information, customers immediately receive an automated answer acknowledging receipt of the issue. Responses are generally answered within 24 hours.

The Bad

• Resources and learning materials
Resources and Learning Materials
LinkedIn provides surprisingly little educational content to free account holders. Of course, their social network platform is a great avenue to find and share materials, lists, and tips on job-related items from other sources, but there are many other job search websites that have a more broad and deep reservoir of articles on their blogs. Paid job seekers get access to Lynda.com, a partner site and app with over 4,000 expert-led employment and business courses. Anyone can access a free trial to Lynda services through the website or app before needing to pay.

The Bottom Line

LinkedIn has a great reputation with business professionals and companies across nearly every industry, and it is a clear leader in its own industry of job search and recruitment. Users have access to people, jobs, news, updates, and insights that can help lead to relevant jobs or potential employees. Job seekers do have to pay to access many of the features on LinkedIn, like their InMail messaging system, whereas most companies do not charge job seekers. But where it seems like everyone is on LinkedIn nowadays, it's probably worth the investment.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

LinkedIn has a wide array of jobs that you can narrow your search from and you can add your own parameters to help you. There is also a feature that you can be alerted for jobs in the range that you are looking for so you don't really have to search it brings the jobs to you. The features are free but I really like what all you can do on the site that others might charge you for.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I've mostly used Linkedin for networking and finding people that have things in common with me. It's always easier to get interviews when you can personally reach out to people. Linkedin makes it easy to do just that

1 day ago

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

LinkedIn is such a great central location to make business connections and apply for jobs! I applied a year ago for my first out of college and the whole process was simple and straight forward!

1 day ago

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn has helped me get my foot in the door when it comes to internships, employment and networking. This is a platform that has helped me all throughout my undergraduate career. With LinkedIn, I am able to locate jobs near me and stay connected to my supervisors, managers and friends. It is the Facebook for professionals!

Joshua Squire Ogden, UT

LinkedIn is a great resource when searching for a new job. My current position came from a recruiter reaching out to me via LinkedIn. It's nice to be able to research a potential company and look at the background of the leaders in that company.

Mr Fields Charlotte, NC

I love the website. I just didn’t like the layout of the site. Other than that the website is great. I am able to connect with other people that work in my industry.

Wilinda Sylvestre Chapel Hill, NC

I found my dream internship using LinkedIn. It’s a great app to show your professionalism

hminfo Olney, MD

We use LinkedIn to find quality talent in our area. We like to place ads with LinkedIn so that our job openings are noticed by as many people as possible.

Richard J McEntire Decatur, AL

Contacts with business related people is excellent. Have met friends and colleagues on this app. Have the ability to reach out to others and help them.

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

It feels like LinkedIn has become one of the go-to places to search for jobs. An advantage LinkedIn has over other places is that you can see who from your network is at the company which can be helpful for getting information about the company or a referral.

jonesaw Houston, TX

LinkedIn should be your one stop location for job search and resume building. It is an excellent place to build a large network of people and stay current with the latest trends in various industries. One of the best tools you can utilize is the job search tool: it has gotten me many interviews over the years and also connected me to many people (including recruiters) who have given me job referrals. Remember it isn't what you know, it is who you know!

Jackie Hanko Tampa, FL

This website is more effective than any other website when it comes looking for jobs because you can see that you have connections that can help you talk to somebody in the company and it’s nice that you can apply street from LinkedIn and I have to put in all your information over and over again in each website that you’re applying to… I’ve been able to reach out to friends about positions at other companies and get information from them to know whether it would be a good fit or not

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

LinkedIn makes it so easy to look through job listings as well as apply and communicate with possible employers

Rakesh Jain Riverside, CT

Very good premium service. I got lot of leads from LinkedIn and they were good jobs. Also got calls from people looking up my profile.

Tony Irizarry Buffalo, NY

I like the fact that it is very easy to navigate and you develop plenty of contacts along the way in the search for new careers.

Greg Clayton ,

LinkedIn helps me keep up with business contacts from university who have moved across the globe. It's very easy to manage your profile and make yourself marketable in your career field.

jingqi lei Rockville, MD

I like the system because they are so many participants. the information layout is well-organized and user friendly. the down side is that sometimes it block the information for no reason. for example, you may be able to see a person's profile when you search it in the morning time, but find it blocked in the afternoon when you are using hte same computer. seems it does not encourage a second search.

Alessandra Jacques Charleston, SC

LinkedIn is great for managing networks, and the built-in job search functionality is quite helpful. I've found LinkedIn's search recommendations to be the most accurate - I rarely receive jobs that are in the wrong area, role or even industry.

Jane Garner Browns Mills, NJ

I posted my new bookkeeping service and in less than 2 day I got a job infer! It is the best career networking site that's around. It offers much more than just networking!

Rachel Hoyle Revere, MA

About half of my friends and family use this and I have yet to hear a negative comment. I love how I get an email telling me how often I appear in a job search. Great resource.

Missy Truth Ankeny, IA

Mixed feelings on this service. It is run almost with a Facebook type setup with posts and things. Not easy to find what you want unless you know the name of the person . People are usually very vague in their resumes. Some users try to use it like a dating site making it unappealing to a lot of women. Also, the qualities section is useless because people set their own skills and strength, many overdo it.

Tylyn Hansen American Fork, UT

LinkedIn is amazing and has been an excellent tool for networking. I wouldn’t be where I’m at today in my career without LinkedIn! I love that the content is tailored to my career preferences, as it provides me with news and updates about what's happening in the creative industry, while providing opportunities to connect with other creative individuals and expand that network.

Frederline Jean Jacksonville, FL

I like that it can update your profile on your newest achievements and make posts. I like that LinkedIn can connect you to any professional in branch of the workplace, whether it’s business or medicine or real estate. It’s a good platform for connecting and communicating with individuals from all over. What I don’t like is that you have to pay for specific services and to see who is viewing your account and you can’t always message just anyone.

Sophie Glendale, CA

Linkedin helps you evolve as a career person and helps build a circle of connections that can be helpful for your career and possibly future job opportunities. You can do a lot with a LinkedIn account and become an active member and build a great circle of professional connections, very useful

G Burt ,

LinkedIn does a terrific job of connecting people in a way that helps to further careers and boost industries. I have utilized LinkedIn for job searches and connecting with potential employers in an effort to boost my candidacy, and it has worked great. I do think that premium subscription is too expensive to use long-term.

Blake Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

I got connected to my current job through linkedIn and I love it. other sites have worked for me in placing me in a position quickly, but only LinkedIn has worked to put me in a job that is a perfect fit for my qualifications and that I'm 100% satisfied with.

Dr. Daniel R. Thomas North Port, FL

I have posted my resume with Linkin for the last 10 years. Because of this app, I have made several important contacts for my work as well as received several very good job offers. This is much better than any of the other "job" sites out there.

Tyler B Palos Verdes Estates, CA

I use LinkedIn for networking and to stay connected with friends and colleagues. LinkedIn has always been a great resource for people who are looking with jobs and to connect with recruiters. LinkedIn's online platform makes it easy to search for jobs by region, job type, and industry.

Yamira Rivera New York, NY

Keeps me well connected. Also gave received many great job offers.

Staci Nicolee St Louis, MO

Job alerts are spot on when you upload your resume. I always get jobs that fit my experience.

ISMAIL MUSOSI Kampala, 102

Since 2009, I have been on linkedIn and I can only say, that this is the real deal, it is a job social network that enabled me to connect with old students I went to school with on top of giving me the ability to build a professional profile online. In the beginning I had no idea of what I could achieve from linkedIn, but from posting my experience, achievements and numerous articles, I can instantly share my profile with a potential employer without even sending them my resume. Thank you linkedIn.

Katie W-V Phoenix, AZ

I find they send me potential contacts of people I don’t know quite often and I receive a lot of spam from paid accounts.

Msdaisy70 Clarksburg, MD

I love that LinkedIn provides Professional social media appearance and that it’s a job search market in in one place.

Gabriel Sanchez Phoenix, AZ

I was able to view who looked at my profile and was able to see insights and trends which helped me network.

Keira Jayne ,

Linkedin is a great way to attract the attention of companies you are interested in working with without seeming over interested. And it is a great always available cv.

Jim T Nashville, TN

LinkedIn is a Social Media platform, career exploration, and networking site all wrapped into one. It's a 4/5 for me because of their refund policy. I didn't mean to renew my yearly account - and they wouldn't refund it.

Samuel Tripp ,

LinkdIn make networking extreemly easy, I was able to find many resources that helped me progress and grow on my learning path. Perfect for any kind of self employed work.

Keshondra Shipp Leesburg, GA

LinkedIn is such a great company for all things professional. They helped me secure a job shortly after making an account. Highly recommend for any and everyone that wants to network and find jobs/careers.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We have used LinkedIn to hire many of our employees at some of our restaurant locations. We liked how the calibre of people on this platform was more refined than those of other job sites.

Karli American Fork, UT

I have an account with LinkedIn and it is definitely a good resource for connecting with people professionally. I do think they send too many emails and are sometimes too persistent, trying to get you to talk to someone. But overall, it’s a great resource to connect with people.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I use LinkedIn for job searches. I have not been actively looking for work, but use it to see what is available in the area. I have applied online for a handful of jobs where I was interested but have not accepted any offers. My main complaint with LinkedIn as a job search tool is often the employer does not list the pay range for the job and so you are left to other sources to try and figure that out.

Jared Provo, UT

LinkedIn has been such a good tool for me! I've found several job openings I otherwise wouldn't have found. The Premium subscriptions is a little on the pricey side, but nothing but good things about LinkedIn!

austin pliler Layton, UT

I really enjoy LinkedIn. It’s the best place to learn about tech news and other exciting events in the business world and make connections in my area. I have received job offers and other opportunities from it as well.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

Linked in is the best! It is so refreshing to have this social media platform. I can see updates for my connections and congratulate them. I have had companies reach out to me for work that otherwise wouldn’t have found em.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

An absolute must in job searching. Makes it easy to connect with professionals in your field with just a click of a button. Also provides a mini-resume for anyone who comes across your profile.

Marissa Kuklovsky Melbourne, FL

Great job connection site to reach out to new companies and potential jobs. You can build your network with previous employers and current! Always positive posts on your feed.

Kyle Bucher Fishers, IN

A great networking opportunity! If you're seriously looking for a new job, new company, this is the place. You can use your network, and the spiderweb network that LinkedIn provides, and the opportunities are endless.

seanth57 Columbus, GA

Great way to show employers yours qualifications and very good for networking

Jennifer Cale Conway, AR

LinkedIn is a free professionalism website that can be used to network, find jobs, and share your expertise with a broader community. My LinkedIn profile has connected me with a multitude of individuals to work on projects with that I would never have the opportunity to otherwise.

Ryan Harpenau Fayetteville, AR

I like how easy it is to connect with people on the app and the app always gives me relevant connections to make. As a person going into the medical field, the program is not super beneficial to me, but it is still cool to be able to see other opportunities that I may have in the future. I do see the app going towards more like Facebook with political posts but this is not something the program can curb I guess.