LinkedIn is a social network and recruitment platform used by millions across the world. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, the website was launched in May of 2003. The company’s revenue comes from member subscriptions, advertising sales, and talent solutions. LinkedIn is soon to be acquired by Microsoft (2016).

#1 ZipRecruiter chevron_right
#2 Indeed chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Special features
  • Experience
  • Customer support
Price Range

LinkedIn offers free public individual profile and company pages as a form of social networking. Company pages can showcase a business to potential employees or customers. Personal profiles allow workers to make connections, give recommendations, and search for relevant employment opportunities. Users can share articles, videos, comments, and ideas with followers and connections.

Additional services must be purchased. The basic LinkedIn premium plans and prices are as follows:

• Job Seeker: 1 free month, then $29.99/month
  • Business Plus: 1 free month, then $47.99/month
  • Sales Navigator Professional: 1 free month, then $64.99/month
  • Recruiter Lite: 1 free month, then starts at $99.95/month

Larger companies with more extensive recruitment or advertising goals can upgrade to sponsored content to get their company's updates to more people, attract new followers, and get their message out on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. These plans are set up based on the company's budget and can be cost per click or cost per impression. Similar to the premium plans' option for a free trial, a free demo is available for sponsored content.

Reach

LinkedIn has over 433 million account members, with 106 million unique visiting members each month. There are 128 million members in the U.S., but the majority live in over 200 countries and territories worldwide.

Special Features

Accounts upgraded to premium have a number of additional avenues available to successfully network. These premium accounts are Job Seeker, Business Plus, Sales Navigator, and Recruiter Lite. Larger businesses with more recruiting needs as well as ad agencies can find additional plans and opportunities through LinkedIn's sales team.

Job Seeker features:

• Direct messaging to recruiters with 3 InMail credits
  • Move to top of recruiters' applicant lists
  • See who's viewed your profile in last 90 days and how they found you
  • See how you compare to other candidates with applicant insights

Business Plus features:

• 15 InMail messages to contact anyone on LinkedIn
  • Business Insights: access to key metrics and trends of company
  • See who's viewed you in last 90 days and how they found you
  • Unlimited profile search

Sales Navigator features:

• 15 InMail messages
  • Sales insights on accounts and leads, job changes, company growth
  • Advanced search with custom lead lists and advanced search filters
  • See what prospects interested in you in last 90 days
  • Unlimited profile search
  • Lead recommendations and saved leads

Recruiter Lite features:

• 30 InMail messages with templates
  • Advanced search for finding candidates
  • Track candidates and open roles with Projects
  • Recruiting-specific design
  • See who's viewed you in the last 90 days
  • Unlimited profiles from search results and suggested profiles
  • Access all of Job Seeker Premium consumer features

LinkedIn has a number of mobile apps for both iOS and Android devices. The apps are:

• LinkedIn-website functions adapted for mobile app
  • Job search-search for and apply in one click
  • Lookup-find, learn about, and contact coworkers
  • Lynda.com-expert-led courses available for download
  • SlideShare-access to over 18 million presentations, infographics, and videos
  • LinkedIn Groups-industry conversations (iOS only)
  • Pulse-daily professional news source

Premium Apps:

• Recruiter-search and review profiles of potential hires
  • Sales Navigator-find leads and accounts in target market, connect, and get updates
  • Elevate-find and share interesting articles
Experience

LinkedIn was co-founded in 2003 by Reid Hoffman and a team of colleagues he had worked with from SocialNet and PayPal. The company began as a way for professionals to connect with each other, like an online address book. The following year they introduced groups, and in 2005 job posting and subscriptions became available. With a little over 11 years of experience in the job search industry, LinkedIn isn't the longest-standing company, but it's been around long enough to make major progress over the years, especially with its reach.

Customer Support

LinkedIn has a help forum discussion board where users can ask questions and receive responses from other users as well as LinkedIn staff. Users can sort discussion threads by most active, most votes, and newest, and apply more specific filters as they search for similar inquiries.

The preferred contact with customer service directly was via an online form. After requesting information, customers immediately receive an automated answer acknowledging receipt of the issue. Responses are generally answered within 24 hours.

The Bad

• Resources and learning materials
Resources and Learning Materials

LinkedIn provides surprisingly little educational content to free account holders. Of course, their social network platform is a great avenue to find and share materials, lists, and tips on job-related items from other sources, but there are many other job search websites that have a more broad and deep reservoir of articles on their blogs.

Paid job seekers get access to Lynda.com, a partner site and app with over 4,000 expert-led employment and business courses. Anyone can access a free trial to Lynda services through the website or app before needing to pay.

The Bottom Line

LinkedIn has a great reputation with business professionals and companies across nearly every industry, and it is a clear leader in its own industry of job search and recruitment. Users have access to people, jobs, news, updates, and insights that can help lead to relevant jobs or potential employees. Job seekers do have to pay to access many of the features on LinkedIn, like their InMail messaging system, whereas most companies do not charge job seekers. But where it seems like everyone is on LinkedIn nowadays, it's probably worth the investment.

Steve Banks Jr.

November 21st, 2020 Seattle, WA

LinkedIn has been a game changer for my professional growth. I've been able to connect with colleague's and professionals all over the world. It's opened my eye's to so much more than my Sports management bubble.

jaci finch

November 20th, 2020 Corpus Christi, TX

I love using LinkedIn. I have connected with so many wonderful professionals and opportunities. I will say though you have to know how to use it for it to be effective. Take a training on it or something.

Alejandro Perez

November 20th, 2020 Corpus Christi, TX

I like how you are able to see how others that may be going down the same college path as you and see what experiences they have.

Jennifer Cale

November 16th, 2020 Conway, AR

LinkedIn is a free professionalism website that can be used to network, find jobs, and share your expertise with a broader community. My LinkedIn profile has connected me with a multitude of individuals to work on projects with that I would never have the opportunity to otherwise.

Jessica Csaszar-Bertman

November 14th, 2020 South Bend, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible @ connecting with 'poss. employees', also I noticed it was like "face book" they were degrading each other & no-one monitored the site.

Dallin

November 12th, 2020 San Diego, CA

LinkedIn has helped me grow my network to many people throughout my industry without much effort. This has increased my recruiting and retention

nichele thau

November 10th, 2020 ,

Great website easy to find and follow great customer service and help you find jobs

otis90

November 9th, 2020 Preston, ID

I use LinkedIn to help stay connected with passed and present co-workers. I have used it for 10+ yrs and have been able to make great connections with customers and vendors.

McKenzie

November 7th, 2020 ,

I have loved using LinkedIn, it has helped me so much with figuring out how to start a business.

Leisha

November 6th, 2020 Logan, UT

I’ve only used the free LinkedIn services, but it’s great to connect and support others in their job searches or accomplishments!!

SKleven

November 5th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

It was easy to set up. I am amazed at all the people it literally links to you. If I was looking to network for a job this website would be great.

Ryan Larsen

November 5th, 2020 Denver, CO

Best networking site and valuable as both an employer and job seeker. Great site design.

Christian Parry

November 5th, 2020 Logan, UT

The job search function is the most useful thing about it! It lets you get as specific as you want while searching, so you only get jobs that are what you’re looking for. Great website.

Mat A

November 4th, 2020 Rancho Cordova, CA

I’ve used LinkedIn with my business. I keep in contact with customers, and find new business. Social networking has never been easier with LinkedIn!

Ryan Harpenau

November 4th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR

I like how easy it is to connect with people on the app and the app always gives me relevant connections to make. As a person going into the medical field, the program is not super beneficial to me, but it is still cool to be able to see other opportunities that I may have in the future. I do see the app going towards more like Facebook with political posts but this is not something the program can curb I guess.

Michelle

November 3rd, 2020 Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I love the professional platform. I have taken a couple quick courses that were really good on time management. Building a network of individuals in my industry is the best way to make friends, get support, and be competitive.

perscilla

October 29th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

I like how I am able to have a lot of job options to choose from. I dislike how the website is not updated about the job listings. Overall, I have been successful at finding jobs on LinkedIn.

Brian Johnson

October 29th, 2020 Newport News, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The platform is very nice and let's you add a lot of detail to your professional background.

Jada Guzman

October 27th, 2020 Tampa, FL

Very helpful and opportunistic type website! It has a lot of great resources and networking abilities!

Harrison F Bink

October 26th, 2020 New York, NY

I got two high paying jobs because of being connected on LinkedIN. Generally stays professional rather than social

ISMAIL MUSOSI

October 25th, 2020 Kampala, 102

Since 2009, I have been on linkedIn and I can only say, that this is the real deal, it is a job social network that enabled me to connect with old students I went to school with on top of giving me the ability to build a professional profile online. In the beginning I had no idea of what I could achieve from linkedIn, but from posting my experience, achievements and numerous articles, I can instantly share my profile with a potential employer without even sending them my resume. Thank you linkedIn.

Lee Hutton

October 22nd, 2020 San Jose, CA

I use LinkedIn solely for job searching, making connections with individuals from previous and future employers, and for checking salary estimates. I highly recommend this professional networking application for anyone is seeking employment especially in the tech environment

Kevin Malone

October 20th, 2020 Washington, DC

LinkedIn, like always, never fails to deliver. I have been using it for almost 4 years now. I have increased my network by a large number and I can get and give professional advices to people.

Michael Rizzo

October 20th, 2020 Lynnwood, WA

Just my basic job and career search. Help enhance salary awareness and competition

Renée

October 19th, 2020 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love the LinkedIn platform. While I used to view it as a resource to find and get jobs I now seeing it as a great place to connect and help people out. It's also fantastic to see those I know in the news in my LinkedIn feed!

Hurditya

October 19th, 2020 Vancouver, BC

LinkedIn is a great platform for students, employees and employers to connect with their peers and subordinates. People have the ability to expand their network, professionally and personally. The constant addition of new features like "Stories", most recently, keeps providing new ways to connect with an audience in a professional atmosphere.

Mike Xavier

October 18th, 2020 Rocklin, CA

Easy to use & easy to connect with others in the same industry. Great way to stay connected!

Katie Scranton

October 16th, 2020 Rochester, NY

It makes looking for a job and getting a job easier. Employers can see your information and determine whether or not you deserve the job

Summer Veillon

October 15th, 2020 Baton Rouge, LA

Great business forum to get connected with other business owners in the community and around the world!

Valeria Londoño

October 14th, 2020 Miami, FL

I am an engineer and I think LinkedIn is great!! I use it to stay up to date on businesses and opportunities. The posts are inspirational and encouraging.

Rob321x

October 14th, 2020 North Tonawanda, NY

Site has helped me get jobs and easy to use and manage. Very helpful site I love it

Lamont Young

October 13th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

LinkedIn is very underrated! LinkedIn is very helpful with job searching and finding employees and/or needed services for your business and/or home. STOP underestimating LinkedIn. It's a fantastic avenue to take to help you with what you need professionally.

Brittany Alshawy

October 9th, 2020 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

LOVE IT! This is a great way to keep in touch with your professional friends and acquaintances. I also enjoy the easy-to-use profile.

Roxana Perez

October 9th, 2020 ,

I love LinkedIn! I have been using it for a couple of months now and I have truly found everything I need. Not only does it facilitate networking, but its job search is easy to navigate and always has relevant jobs available.

Andrew Hyde

October 8th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

LinkedIn is my main job site. I keep it update because it has the perception of a more professional peer site. I use it to keep up with my old and current contacts.

Sebastian Garcia

October 7th, 2020 San Antonio, TX

Linkedln is a very great opportunity to network with others and have a good connection with certain companies. Linkedln is I believe one of the best if not the best job searching applications since it makes it super easy to look for a job and to find one.

Michelle SM.

September 23rd, 2020 Cedartown, GA

Even with my qualifications and years of experience I never got a respond. I also had connect with management. In the end I went to the company website and applied as I did before

Matters

September 23rd, 2020 Norfolk, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great way to connect with people and network. Real people and a real career building tool!

Paige Stockard

September 22nd, 2020 Wichita, KS

LinkedIn is a great way to make and keep connections with people that you go to school with or are in your workplace. It's also super easy to connect with people in your field of expertise or the field that you want to pursue a career in!

boscoe16

September 20th, 2020 Ladson, SC

Not great to navigate for searches. Lots of clutter and redirecting. Overall okay.

Teagan Jarvis

September 17th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

I like linked in but I’m getting really tired of them trying to persuade me to go premium. If I’m honest there’s not a lot of reasons for someone like myself, aka not an HR head doing mass recruiting, to be on LinkedIn other than to flex myself and my page.

Kajsa Kirby

September 17th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had a very positive experience w LinkedIn. I like how you can search for so many jobs and it seems like such a prominent platform that almost everyone I know who has one! This makes searches result in a large variety of job opportunities.

Nathan

September 15th, 2020 Broomfield, CO

I love using LinkedIn to keep in touch with all the professional updates for the people in my life. I find it is a great platform to stay in contact.

pdanielson13

September 15th, 2020 Draper, UT

It's a good source of finding people with jobs. I suggest a tutorial on how to use Linkedin. To this day, I have an account yet I don't know how to use it. Linkedin is a great source of people who have jobs yet I am not familiar of using it.

Iris Sanders

September 15th, 2020 Denver, CO

I really love that LinkedIn promotes networking opportunities and helps me create professional connections. I use it all the time and I get really positive messages anytime I update my profile!

Patrick Curry

September 14th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

I've had a LinkedIn account for awhile and love it that I can meet other professionals and the job recommendations I receive. I have received advancement in my career thanks to LinkedIn and building a professional profile to get my self out there.

JP

September 14th, 2020 Herriman, UT

Was very helpful for me when I was searching for a job. Was able to connect with a few other previous co-workers and that in turn helped get me my current job.

Dave_

September 14th, 2020 Layton, UT

Great resource to network with professionals, collaborate, and refer others. They have good services to help build a better resume and better professional network.

Tagg

September 13th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

LinkedIn is a great way to see if you have any connections within a company that could put a good word in for you in order to be able to get a job there.

Norma Grove

September 12th, 2020 Iowa City, IA

I have my name come up in many searches. I have yet to receive contact from anyone. I am retired and perhaps that is the reason. It is a good way to stay in touch with friends and see their updates on their work status and advancements. It lets us know who has work anniversaries. It might be better suited to those actually searching for work. I mostly used it to stay in touch and just in case something were to open up that would interest me job-wise.