LinkedIn Logo

7.0

LAST UPDATED: January 21st, 2022
LinkedIn is a social network and recruitment platform used by millions across the world. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, the website was launched in May of 2003. The company’s revenue comes from member subscriptions, advertising sales, and talent solutions. LinkedIn is soon to be acquired by Microsoft (2016).

Indeed Logo
#1 Indeed chevron_right
Glassdoor Logo
#4 Glassdoor chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Special features
  • Experience
  • Customer support
Price Range
LinkedIn offers free public individual profile and company pages as a form of social networking. Company pages can showcase a business to potential employees or customers. Personal profiles allow workers to make connections, give recommendations, and search for relevant employment opportunities. Users can share articles, videos, comments, and ideas with followers and connections. Additional services must be purchased. The basic LinkedIn premium plans and prices are as follows:
  • Job Seeker: 1 free month, then $29.99/month
  • Business Plus: 1 free month, then $47.99/month
  • Sales Navigator Professional: 1 free month, then $64.99/month
  • Recruiter Lite: 1 free month, then starts at $99.95/month
Larger companies with more extensive recruitment or advertising goals can upgrade to sponsored content to get their company's updates to more people, attract new followers, and get their message out on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. These plans are set up based on the company's budget and can be cost per click or cost per impression. Similar to the premium plans' option for a free trial, a free demo is available for sponsored content.
Reach
LinkedIn has over 433 million account members, with 106 million unique visiting members each month. There are 128 million members in the U.S., but the majority live in over 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Special Features
Accounts upgraded to premium have a number of additional avenues available to successfully network. These premium accounts are Job Seeker, Business Plus, Sales Navigator, and Recruiter Lite. Larger businesses with more recruiting needs as well as ad agencies can find additional plans and opportunities through LinkedIn's sales team. Job Seeker features:
  • Direct messaging to recruiters with 3 InMail credits
  • Move to top of recruiters' applicant lists
  • See who's viewed your profile in last 90 days and how they found you
  • See how you compare to other candidates with applicant insights
Business Plus features:
  • 15 InMail messages to contact anyone on LinkedIn
  • Business Insights: access to key metrics and trends of company
  • See who's viewed you in last 90 days and how they found you
  • Unlimited profile search
Sales Navigator features:
  • 15 InMail messages
  • Sales insights on accounts and leads, job changes, company growth
  • Advanced search with custom lead lists and advanced search filters
  • See what prospects interested in you in last 90 days
  • Unlimited profile search
  • Lead recommendations and saved leads
Recruiter Lite features:
  • 30 InMail messages with templates
  • Advanced search for finding candidates
  • Track candidates and open roles with Projects
  • Recruiting-specific design
  • See who's viewed you in the last 90 days
  • Unlimited profiles from search results and suggested profiles
  • Access all of Job Seeker Premium consumer features
LinkedIn has a number of mobile apps for both iOS and Android devices. The apps are:
  • LinkedIn-website functions adapted for mobile app
  • Job search-search for and apply in one click
  • Lookup-find, learn about, and contact coworkers
  • Lynda.com-expert-led courses available for download
  • SlideShare-access to over 18 million presentations, infographics, and videos
  • LinkedIn Groups-industry conversations (iOS only)
  • Pulse-daily professional news source
Premium Apps:
  • Recruiter-search and review profiles of potential hires
  • Sales Navigator-find leads and accounts in target market, connect, and get updates
  • Elevate-find and share interesting articles
Experience
LinkedIn was co-founded in 2003 by Reid Hoffman and a team of colleagues he had worked with from SocialNet and PayPal. The company began as a way for professionals to connect with each other, like an online address book. The following year they introduced groups, and in 2005 job posting and subscriptions became available. With a little over 11 years of experience in the job search industry, LinkedIn isn't the longest-standing company, but it's been around long enough to make major progress over the years, especially with its reach.
Customer Support
LinkedIn has a help forum discussion board where users can ask questions and receive responses from other users as well as LinkedIn staff. Users can sort discussion threads by most active, most votes, and newest, and apply more specific filters as they search for similar inquiries. The preferred contact with customer service directly was via an online form. After requesting information, customers immediately receive an automated answer acknowledging receipt of the issue. Responses are generally answered within 24 hours.

The Bad

• Resources and learning materials
Resources and Learning Materials
LinkedIn provides surprisingly little educational content to free account holders. Of course, their social network platform is a great avenue to find and share materials, lists, and tips on job-related items from other sources, but there are many other job search websites that have a more broad and deep reservoir of articles on their blogs. Paid job seekers get access to Lynda.com, a partner site and app with over 4,000 expert-led employment and business courses. Anyone can access a free trial to Lynda services through the website or app before needing to pay.

The Bottom Line

LinkedIn has a great reputation with business professionals and companies across nearly every industry, and it is a clear leader in its own industry of job search and recruitment. Users have access to people, jobs, news, updates, and insights that can help lead to relevant jobs or potential employees. Job seekers do have to pay to access many of the features on LinkedIn, like their InMail messaging system, whereas most companies do not charge job seekers. But where it seems like everyone is on LinkedIn nowadays, it's probably worth the investment.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Well connected to the job market and is a professional-level employment site. I like the networking side as well. Most companies seem to be posting jobs there and that helps in the job search. The paid features are also well worth it when you are looking for work.

J B Sandy, UT

Been on LinkedIn for years, but only recently started using their premium products. They made job searching a breeze. Easy to connect with headhunters and recruiters though the professional networks.

Laurel Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

I love using LinkedIn as it allows me to broaden my circle of connections. It is so easy to reach out and view other employees' profiles. I would highly recommend to everyone in the workforce.

Calista Huber Phoenix, AZ

I have used LinkedIn briefly to create a professional profile in order to connect with others for my freelance graphic design business. I would also love to connect with people in regards to going back to school for my Master's degree when my kids are a little older. It is amazing how many different connections and opportunities can come through LinkedIn! It is such a diverse network with so many options! I love that it is simple and walks you through set-up steps. I'm excited to use it more!

Mary Fernandes New York, NY

LinkedIn seemed to start out slowly but has in recent years been a very useful tool in the workplace and for recruiting. I like that it has remained very professional in terms of the postings, and I have found this to be a great tool for networking in my field. While I do not use the subscription services, I do like being contacted by the company about their new offerings. I love seeing individuals’ qualifications and skills upfront, and now LinkedIn is a daily part of my work routine.

Thomas Nuffer Lindon, UT

Very good too make connections with people you do or dont know. And making connections is a huge part of getting good jobs, and with LinkedIn you can see jobs that are hiring and you can see what jobs other people have. You can also post your resume to there and have people see it and recognize your skills which may allow you to get a job. This website have many uses which are all beneficial to everybody.

Jeff Thurgood Draper, UT

I have used LinkedIn to manage all my business contacts. It is a great networking tool. Although sometimes the feeds get to be too much like Facebook and move away from professional content.

Stephen Thompson

Have been on LinkedIn almost since its inception - both as a participant and a recruiter. Their search capability for finding non-active candidates is excellent. A little pricy but well worth it if you're going to be adding to staff often. Great as a networking tool. Would love to be able to hide the messenging pop up bar! ;)

JimS. Cathedral City, CA

Of all the job hunt platforms, LinkedIn is my least favorite. Unfortunately, it seems to be the most preferred platform for employers. So like it or not, you might as well get used to it. I find it difficult to post your job experience in an easy to digest format when using LinkedIn. At best, you can only give them a general overview of your experience. So you will get a lot of calls and inquiries from hungry recruiters who are just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing if it will stick. In other words, they don’t look at you too close. They find a couple of keyword matches and then spam everyone with job openings, whether it fits you or not. And a lot of times it doesn’t. I don’t really like LinkedIn much, but I will say it’s good for networking. I.e., finding out you “know somebody who knows somebody”. And that, sometimes, is what it’s all about. As an aside, I would not bother paying the extra fee to be able to see who has looked at your résumé. Because employers can still hide themselves anyway, and most of them do. So it’s a waste of money.

KG Lebanon, NJ

I have used LinkedIn for business connections and for networking. It is also great because I have marked my profile with an alert for recruiters when I was job seeking. LinkedIn has also been helpful for seminars and for staying up on current events in business.

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

I've used LinkedIn Jobs for my last 2 full time jobs and 2 part time gigs, and have always been incredibly impressed. By itself, their job search is always incredibly specific and reliable, but when I paid for Premium the job search was 500x more helpful and accurate; you get more information on salaries for that company/industry/role, how many other people have applied, and TONS more useful data. LinkedIn job search made me feel like I could wisely invest my time in applying on jobs that made sense for me instead of spamming my application across roles that may have not been a great fit.

Ashley D Tallahassee, FL

Honestly, LinkedIn is the best place to network and connect for your career. Every company uses it and there's so many features to truly showcase your profile, such as showing other powerful people you're connected to, your certifications, etc. Most places usually send you certifications that go directly to your LinkedIn profile, like my adobe cloud certification. There are also tests on LinkedIn you can take to demonstrate your proficiency or mastery in that particular area which is really cool. I do think everyone should have LinkedIn and just continue building on it. For me, it took me a while to make use of the features available to me but after you get the hang of it, networking becomes much easier. I have connected with doctors from all over the country!

Kamron Dalton Riverton, UT

LinkedIn is the best professional networking platform today. It balances connectivity and content allowing for true value as a subscriber.

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

I recently reentered the job market. LinkedIn was super helpful with helping my reconnect with former colleagues and make connections.

Sarah Huda Los Angeles, CA

LinkedIn is great for networking and expanding your circle. It provides a great way to find jobs or have jobs find you. It also allows me to basically have my resume on hand where ever I go.

Chelsi Day Ghiorzi Columbus, OH

I like the ease of applying to jobs on linked in. Its one of the few that truly takes existing info and inputs it rather than making you retype things a million times. I did find it a little clunky in terms of revisiting jobs you've applied for and it doesnt seem to notify you when jobs have closed and doesn't provide any feedback or progess.

Happy Life Doha, DA

Linkedin is a more practical social media platform than many other, with mostly professional and respectable people hanging out here. Another best part is that so many companies trust and place genuine job vacancies here. Linkedin sends me relevant job ads exactly matching the criteria I had set rather than generic one. The only disliked feature is that high profile members cannot be messaged to unless we have enough followers ourselves.

Tate Huber Phoenix, AZ

My LinkedIn account was really helpful for a recent job search. I think it's the best platform for finding jobs that really match what you're looking for.

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

I have applied to jobs on linked in and like how recruiters also reach out on there. It’s also nice to see what connections I have at different employers

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

I like this company because it allows people to showcase their skills and find more opportunities for jobs. The website is also fairly easy to use and provides a great atmosphere for the job searching process.

Nazjah Yates Tallahassee, FL

This is a job recruitment site that connects prospective employees to trustworthy employers. The platform allows you to upload your resume and completed documents easily. It is not hard to work with and shows you jobs that connect to your specific interests and skill level.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn is the best platform to build business connections, find jobs and opportunities you wouldn't find elsewhere, and put yourself into the job market. Phenomenal service. Their job search feature is handy and easy to use and apply for opportunities you may not find elsewhere.

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

Looking for a job is made easy on LinkedIn. Here you can upload your own resume and even check the resumes of those who have worked in your position before you. It’s a helpful tool for making sure that you’re qualified for your position.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

My experience with LinkedIn has been fantastic. They have great options when it comes to looking for jobs: the selection is great and you can see the longevity of various positions within a company. Overall, I would 100% recommend LinkedIn to a friend if they were considering different job opportunities.

Cindy R Tallahassee, FL

I think LinkedIn is a great professional platform to connect with people all over. I like how it recommends people who have similar educational and work force backgrounds as I do, especially between students looking for jobs.

Randie S. Edmond, OK

I like LinkedIn. I can view my coworker's profiles, keep in contact with references, and easily update my resume. As an added bonus, I can save that resume directly to my computer and phone so I always have it (since everyone seems to be doing digital applications now)! Lastly, I haven't seen any drama like there is on Facebook. It's social interactions between employees and across nations but without the unnecessary things. Very professional!

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn is my favorite professional development social media app at the moment. I love the way it allows for you to connect with friends, family and Your professional net work in order to increase his ability to jobs. I really enjoy the job search feature as well as I feel that it is one of the most up-to-date applications in that regard. Additionally the hashtag that you can follow on LinkedIn are substantially helpful and a job search, but also and staying up today on topics that you were interested in. Overall, I always find myself going back to LinkedIn because I have such a positive experience was not only the job search parts of the application but also the media interaction.

Quincy Wimberly Jacksonville, FL

It’s a great tool for connecting with others and finding job opportunities. I am glad I used this source, I found a job right after college because of it.

Glen2021 Houston, TX

I have appreciated the ability to locate and reach out to former coworkers without having to give my cell number. My biggest issue is it tends to become Facebook light and makes me want to use it less. Should be more focused on business, less personal.

Anoushka Ahuja Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn is the best place to network by far. The site is user-friendly and easy to navigate to find the people you are looking for. Definitely a great way to find jobs and professionals in any field.

Carolina camacho

LinkedIn is amazing! The site helps you link with others and display your professional profile to others, it really helps individuals get great job positions and find out about opportunities.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn is great for making connections and learning more about what occupations people have been a part of. I'm not too sure I like that a person gets notified when I visit their site, due to safety reasons, but perhaps this can be changed.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

By far the greatest business networking site in existence, combine it with Indeed and Zip recruiter if you're seeking employment. Great place to network to grow a business or side hustle.

N Goshagi Ellicott City, MD

It is a very good way to be connected in professional world! Many of friends got job through connections they made on LinkedIn. I had also find my connections through premium account. You will know your colleagues all across the glob and you can follow their accomplishments!

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

Linkin is a great social media networking app/site. I have met and expanded my network by leaps and bounds. These days in my field, IT, potential employers want to see your linkedin profile before they will even invite you in to interview. I have also used the linkedin premium for sometime and when actively searching for a job, feel that it's actually worth the fee to use.

Samara Jakavicius Sydney, NSW

I have been a member for a few years and through their service have maintained or begun professional relationships I would otherwise not have had the chance to develop. When employers are looking at hiring someone with my expertise and use LinkedIn I will quite often show up in their search. I am then notified in the app that this has happened and I can then look at who is searching and if interested I can then send them a message. Being able to follow people or companies of interest is also a great feature as this can sometimes be informative or beneficial to my career or life in general. Very well thought out app that has been a great tool to furthering my career.

Rebecca D

Love LinkedIn. Great networking opportunities. Very reasonable with pricing packages. Very user friendly.

Ramona Kiffing Chapel Hill, NC

This website has connected me with many job opportunities. They have allowed me to build a professional profile and promote myself.

Danielle Luma Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn is a helpful app to connect with people in any background or career. Super helpful to list accomplishments and find job opportunities.

Kaela Tallahassee, FL

Great website to network with other like minded individuals or find others who may be interested in a good, service or idea you offer.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn is great with helping make professional relationships. I have found so many great opportunities on LinkedIn that have helped me throughout college.

taismine joseph Tallahassee, FL

Helped me a lot when I was looking for my new job. They provide specific details about jobs requirements and locations. Very helpful when looking for a new job in a new area.

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

I would say this is the best website for getting a job or just for basic networking. I love using my LinkedIn to find great recommendations for new jobs and job openings!

Ellie Giardino Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn is a great company for people to expand their network. I really enjoy LinkedIn because of its easy usage as well as the connections I have made through this company

altavise davis Tallahassee, FL

My university have used LinkedIn to help build my resume. This company provides a network of people to match you to the information in your resume . I highly recommend!

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn makes job hunting such an easy experience. You are able to meet new people and add them to your circles. I think it's a revolutionary tool in the world of networking!

bmc2z7 Columbia, MO

I enjoy using LinkedIn, it allows me to stay connected and updated with my colleagues. I like how it reminds me to congratulate people on accomplishments.

JW Hoffman, NJ

The connection to those with the same experience is great, job site offers a host of knowledgeable information which is very good, it keeps those focused on those in the same field

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

LinkedIn is the perfect place to find jobs! It's easy to connect with employers and quickly send them your resume. I also love that you can get notifications via email about progress in the hiring process!

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

LinkedIn is a way to more professionally connect with potential employers. I feel like I am set apart from other candidates when I apply via LinkedIn. It's more structured than other job search websites.