Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

LinkedIn Logo

7.5

LinkedIn

Professional network building, Social Media presence

LinkedIn is a social network and recruitment platform used by millions across the world. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, the website was launched in May of 2003. The company’s revenue comes from member subscriptions, advertising sales, and talent solutions. LinkedIn is soon to be acquired by Microsoft (2016).

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Special features
  • Experience
  • Customer support
Price Range

LinkedIn offers free public individual profile and company pages as a form of social networking. Company pages can showcase a business to potential employees or customers. Personal profiles allow workers to make connections, give recommendations, and search for relevant employment opportunities. Users can share articles, videos, comments, and ideas with followers and connections.

Additional services must be purchased. The basic LinkedIn premium plans and prices are as follows:

• Job Seeker: 1 free month, then $29.99/month
  • Business Plus: 1 free month, then $47.99/month
  • Sales Navigator Professional: 1 free month, then $64.99/month
  • Recruiter Lite: 1 free month, then starts at $99.95/month

Larger companies with more extensive recruitment or advertising goals can upgrade to sponsored content to get their company's updates to more people, attract new followers, and get their message out on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. These plans are set up based on the company's budget and can be cost per click or cost per impression. Similar to the premium plans' option for a free trial, a free demo is available for sponsored content.

Reach

LinkedIn has over 433 million account members, with 106 million unique visiting members each month. There are 128 million members in the U.S., but the majority live in over 200 countries and territories worldwide.

Special Features

Accounts upgraded to premium have a number of additional avenues available to successfully network. These premium accounts are Job Seeker, Business Plus, Sales Navigator, and Recruiter Lite. Larger businesses with more recruiting needs as well as ad agencies can find additional plans and opportunities through LinkedIn's sales team.

Job Seeker features:

• Direct messaging to recruiters with 3 InMail credits
  • Move to top of recruiters' applicant lists
  • See who's viewed your profile in last 90 days and how they found you
  • See how you compare to other candidates with applicant insights

Business Plus features:

• 15 InMail messages to contact anyone on LinkedIn
  • Business Insights: access to key metrics and trends of company
  • See who's viewed you in last 90 days and how they found you
  • Unlimited profile search

Sales Navigator features:

• 15 InMail messages
  • Sales insights on accounts and leads, job changes, company growth
  • Advanced search with custom lead lists and advanced search filters
  • See what prospects interested in you in last 90 days
  • Unlimited profile search
  • Lead recommendations and saved leads

Recruiter Lite features:

• 30 InMail messages with templates
  • Advanced search for finding candidates
  • Track candidates and open roles with Projects
  • Recruiting-specific design
  • See who's viewed you in the last 90 days
  • Unlimited profiles from search results and suggested profiles
  • Access all of Job Seeker Premium consumer features

LinkedIn has a number of mobile apps for both iOS and Android devices. The apps are:

• LinkedIn-website functions adapted for mobile app
  • Job search-search for and apply in one click
  • Lookup-find, learn about, and contact coworkers
  • Lynda.com-expert-led courses available for download
  • SlideShare-access to over 18 million presentations, infographics, and videos
  • LinkedIn Groups-industry conversations (iOS only)
  • Pulse-daily professional news source

Premium Apps:

• Recruiter-search and review profiles of potential hires
  • Sales Navigator-find leads and accounts in target market, connect, and get updates
  • Elevate-find and share interesting articles
Experience

LinkedIn was co-founded in 2003 by Reid Hoffman and a team of colleagues he had worked with from SocialNet and PayPal. The company began as a way for professionals to connect with each other, like an online address book. The following year they introduced groups, and in 2005 job posting and subscriptions became available. With a little over 11 years of experience in the job search industry, LinkedIn isn't the longest-standing company, but it's been around long enough to make major progress over the years, especially with its reach.

Customer Support

LinkedIn has a help forum discussion board where users can ask questions and receive responses from other users as well as LinkedIn staff. Users can sort discussion threads by most active, most votes, and newest, and apply more specific filters as they search for similar inquiries.

The preferred contact with customer service directly was via an online form. After requesting information, customers immediately receive an automated answer acknowledging receipt of the issue. Responses are generally answered within 24 hours.

The Bad

• Resources and learning materials
Resources and Learning Materials

LinkedIn provides surprisingly little educational content to free account holders. Of course, their social network platform is a great avenue to find and share materials, lists, and tips on job-related items from other sources, but there are many other job search websites that have a more broad and deep reservoir of articles on their blogs.

Paid job seekers get access to Lynda.com, a partner site and app with over 4,000 expert-led employment and business courses. Anyone can access a free trial to Lynda services through the website or app before needing to pay.

The Bottom Line

LinkedIn has a great reputation with business professionals and companies across nearly every industry, and it is a clear leader in its own industry of job search and recruitment. Users have access to people, jobs, news, updates, and insights that can help lead to relevant jobs or potential employees. Job seekers do have to pay to access many of the features on LinkedIn, like their InMail messaging system, whereas most companies do not charge job seekers. But where it seems like everyone is on LinkedIn nowadays, it's probably worth the investment.

Lindsay Fritts
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

I never had crazy luck using Linkedin for jobs, but I have gotten some interviews in the past through it. I can see if I have any mutual friends or alumni of my college working at companies who are hiring. I can reach out and find good connections that way. I don't love the job search engine though, doesn't give many results that I want.

Kathie Bowman
November 16th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS

I have a linked in account however when searching for a job it was a little difficult at first

Amber C Frey
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

I've never found LinkedIn to be very useful. The site feels a little busy and I've never found a job through them.

Lydia Arnold
November 9th, 2018 Alpine, UT

I use LinkedIn all the time. I keep in touch with customers, co workers, and industry peers. I love being able to read articles on trending business issues and being able to post articles that are interesting to me. It's easy to learn about companies and positions you might be interested in.

Rachel B
November 6th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

LinkedIn is a great way to get yourself out there. Easy to look at other people’s accounts/job history.

Cody Enslow
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

It’s just a unique space where I can choose to show my professional side and see what kind of interest there is for my skills.

Sam Anders
November 5th, 2018 Orem, UT

LinkedIn is one of those services that you feel like you need to have in the professional world, but a pain to have. I feel like every time that I unsubscribe from emails, it only takes a month or two before I start getting marketing emails from them again. The concept of their site is great but, their execution is extremely off-putting .

Randal hyde
November 1st, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS

LinkedIn is great for finding new job opportunities. You can search by category, location, and salary. It's very easy to use and many different companies use it.

Deborah Hyde
October 29th, 2018 Springfield, MO

LinkedIn makes applying for jobs easy and you can easily track your progress with different companies.

Lee
October 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

LinkedIn is a good site for networking and finding people, but not necessarily job searching. Lots of people are applying to jobs (like over 300 in some instances) and the chances that my application would be considered is very close to zero. I also wonder if some (most) of the jobs will be filled internally.

Sofie Rosenvall
September 20th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Great way to find leads on jobs. As well as keep in contact with former work colleagues and keep the line of communication open for other opportunities.

Derek Scoville
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Linked In is the best way to network. I use it to find other professionals that provide service that I need, but also to network myself for potential job opportunities. It is the best social networking site for professionals.

Shanna
August 30th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I had to use LinkedIn once for a job application. Now I get emails all the time, super annoying

Thomas Hullinger
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

LinkedIn has helped me professionally to stay in contact with a number of people and a number of groups that are easy to follow and I can stay up to date on the latest topic and also know what is going on in the job marketplace. It can also be very specific for me and adjusted to meet my needs.

Ron Durfey
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Just landed a new job because of LinkedIn and the help I received from their service and my connections. Use them all the time. Unfortunately, the cost is way too high to use for too long.

Lesa Burgess
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Using LinkedIn to find a job is great in certain areas. I'm not sure it would be great for all types of jobs. Any social media platform is a bit misleading in a sense. I feel that a lot of people are trying to be too impressive, which is hard to sort through. I feel like it's best for those in business.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

LinkedIn is a great way to promote your business as well as search for a new job. My husband has use LinkedIn when he has needed to hire new employees at his bank .

Troy Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

LinkedIn is a great way to stay connected with your professional network. I sometimes feel like I get more contacts from recruiters that I would like, but it provides a good opportunity to look at other options. Would recommend for any professional.

Tanner Hales
July 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Linkedin is a fairly decent social media platform, but in terms of job searching, I have never had a ton of luck. I think that once it catches on a little better, and more companies recruit through it, Linkedin will become an awesome tool for job searchers. The interface is easy to use, and the recommended jobs are always right in line with what I am looking for. Just needs a few more jobs to search for.

Sara Jane
July 17th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS

Did not get as many qualified applicants through the job search posting as with other sites.

Taylor Siren
June 28th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Linked In helps you receive job interests by presenting you resume in a respectable fashion.

Tom
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been on Linkedin for a long time and I like the ability to connect with so many people at all times. I haven't used it for a job search, but do find it effective in keeping in touch with many people.

Amy Crawley
June 12th, 2018 Draper, UT

LinkedIn has allowed me to research various open positions in my field. I got my most recent job through LinkedIn connections.

Adam Crawley
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I recently updated my LinkedIn profile. The platform has been easy to use and very helpful in getting an internship for me. I've been able to connect with several potential employers and other recruiting folk. Althgouh the platform is great, I would love for the platform to have more tools on how beginners like myself could use it to its full potential. I also don't like how the default settings allow people to see who has viewed there profile.

H Moore
June 7th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I've used LinkedIn off and on. I'm currently on it, and I do appreciate that ability to find others in your industry. Networking through LinkedIn has connected me to people that have been necessary to my career.

Elyse Bradley
May 3rd, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

This is a great website for professional networking, and it's FREE! Why on earth wouldn't you join? I've been a member for over 5 years and made some decent connections and even gotten contacted directly about potential job opportunities. The user interface is easy to navigate and helps you polish your resume. Highly recommend for any professional looking to get a step ahead.

William
December 14th, 2017 South Jordan, UT

I use this site every time I look for a job. I feel like it posts higher quality jobs than other job sites and the employers posting are much more responsive. Definitely my top choice.

Cassidy Gundersen
December 12th, 2017 Orem, UT

I looked for so many jobs using LinkedIn. The best part about it is that for many of the jobs, you can just apply with your LinkedIn profile.

Lindsey
December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT

I think it's a great website for finding jobs. The website is not as user-friendly as I'd like. I've had trouble uploading documents - but that's probably because I'm not a smart enough user :) Overall, I think it's a great and helpful website.

Darren Cardwell
November 22nd, 2017 Riverton, UT DETAILS

Enjoy seeing what others are doing and how they're lives and careers are progressing. Experience has been good but with some things not super easy as far as editing my own profile.

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT

LinkedIn is a great online resume resource! I have been able to get in to contact with some wonderful people and I love having an online, professional site to send to future or potential employers.

Alex Murphy
November 6th, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

LinkedIn separates itself from other job search applications in that you can connect through friends and peers. This allows you to get your foot in the door and find the right job for yourself.

Gary Mayer
November 6th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I retired two years ago and no longer need this service. I have been trying to cancel my account with them but have had no luck. I am still getting requests to link with people. very frustrating.

Sandra Dubas
June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Linkedin is a wonderful resource and very reliable. I like the jobs that the companies post. However, their website is a little bit confusing and it for sure should be simplified. Also, I like that you can search different companies and learn more about them on their profile.

Jonny Hancock
June 8th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

LinkedIn has been a great way for me to connect with other business professionals. My only complaint with LinkedIn is on a minimum I receive 5 emails from them a day. I would defiantly recommend using LinkedIn, however, I'd suggest using an email you do not use every day.

Breanna Jones
June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Linkedin is a great place to connect. I have reached out to employers and had successful opportunities through Linkedin. I like the ability to create a profile and explain myself more than just what appears on a resume. I think it gives employers the ability to learn a little more about the people who are wanting to work for their company.

Maile Curtis
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Linkedin is great! I have made a lot of great professional connections. Also, setting up a profile with them is really easy, also they always have great jobs posted.

Michael Martinez
October 17th, 2016 Belleville, NJ

LinkedIn is the best site for career advancement, finding new jobs, keeping up with the latest news in your field and just being able to network in general. LinkedIn also allows you to post your resume online so that recruiters and others can see exactly what your job title is and what you're currently doing/done in the past. You can also post your skills, be endorsed for what you're good at and can have others write recommendations for you about your character and personality.