LinkedIn Logo

7.5

LAST UPDATED: September 21st, 2021
LinkedIn is a social network and recruitment platform used by millions across the world. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, the website was launched in May of 2003. The company’s revenue comes from member subscriptions, advertising sales, and talent solutions. LinkedIn is soon to be acquired by Microsoft (2016).

Indeed Logo
#2 Indeed chevron_right
Glassdoor Logo
#4 Glassdoor chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Special features
  • Experience
  • Customer support
Price Range
LinkedIn offers free public individual profile and company pages as a form of social networking. Company pages can showcase a business to potential employees or customers. Personal profiles allow workers to make connections, give recommendations, and search for relevant employment opportunities. Users can share articles, videos, comments, and ideas with followers and connections. Additional services must be purchased. The basic LinkedIn premium plans and prices are as follows:
  • Job Seeker: 1 free month, then $29.99/month
  • Business Plus: 1 free month, then $47.99/month
  • Sales Navigator Professional: 1 free month, then $64.99/month
  • Recruiter Lite: 1 free month, then starts at $99.95/month
Larger companies with more extensive recruitment or advertising goals can upgrade to sponsored content to get their company's updates to more people, attract new followers, and get their message out on desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. These plans are set up based on the company's budget and can be cost per click or cost per impression. Similar to the premium plans' option for a free trial, a free demo is available for sponsored content.
Reach
LinkedIn has over 433 million account members, with 106 million unique visiting members each month. There are 128 million members in the U.S., but the majority live in over 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Special Features
Accounts upgraded to premium have a number of additional avenues available to successfully network. These premium accounts are Job Seeker, Business Plus, Sales Navigator, and Recruiter Lite. Larger businesses with more recruiting needs as well as ad agencies can find additional plans and opportunities through LinkedIn's sales team. Job Seeker features:
  • Direct messaging to recruiters with 3 InMail credits
  • Move to top of recruiters' applicant lists
  • See who's viewed your profile in last 90 days and how they found you
  • See how you compare to other candidates with applicant insights
Business Plus features:
  • 15 InMail messages to contact anyone on LinkedIn
  • Business Insights: access to key metrics and trends of company
  • See who's viewed you in last 90 days and how they found you
  • Unlimited profile search
Sales Navigator features:
  • 15 InMail messages
  • Sales insights on accounts and leads, job changes, company growth
  • Advanced search with custom lead lists and advanced search filters
  • See what prospects interested in you in last 90 days
  • Unlimited profile search
  • Lead recommendations and saved leads
Recruiter Lite features:
  • 30 InMail messages with templates
  • Advanced search for finding candidates
  • Track candidates and open roles with Projects
  • Recruiting-specific design
  • See who's viewed you in the last 90 days
  • Unlimited profiles from search results and suggested profiles
  • Access all of Job Seeker Premium consumer features
LinkedIn has a number of mobile apps for both iOS and Android devices. The apps are:
  • LinkedIn-website functions adapted for mobile app
  • Job search-search for and apply in one click
  • Lookup-find, learn about, and contact coworkers
  • Lynda.com-expert-led courses available for download
  • SlideShare-access to over 18 million presentations, infographics, and videos
  • LinkedIn Groups-industry conversations (iOS only)
  • Pulse-daily professional news source
Premium Apps:
  • Recruiter-search and review profiles of potential hires
  • Sales Navigator-find leads and accounts in target market, connect, and get updates
  • Elevate-find and share interesting articles
Experience
LinkedIn was co-founded in 2003 by Reid Hoffman and a team of colleagues he had worked with from SocialNet and PayPal. The company began as a way for professionals to connect with each other, like an online address book. The following year they introduced groups, and in 2005 job posting and subscriptions became available. With a little over 11 years of experience in the job search industry, LinkedIn isn't the longest-standing company, but it's been around long enough to make major progress over the years, especially with its reach.
Customer Support
LinkedIn has a help forum discussion board where users can ask questions and receive responses from other users as well as LinkedIn staff. Users can sort discussion threads by most active, most votes, and newest, and apply more specific filters as they search for similar inquiries. The preferred contact with customer service directly was via an online form. After requesting information, customers immediately receive an automated answer acknowledging receipt of the issue. Responses are generally answered within 24 hours.

The Bad

• Resources and learning materials
Resources and Learning Materials
LinkedIn provides surprisingly little educational content to free account holders. Of course, their social network platform is a great avenue to find and share materials, lists, and tips on job-related items from other sources, but there are many other job search websites that have a more broad and deep reservoir of articles on their blogs. Paid job seekers get access to Lynda.com, a partner site and app with over 4,000 expert-led employment and business courses. Anyone can access a free trial to Lynda services through the website or app before needing to pay.

The Bottom Line

LinkedIn has a great reputation with business professionals and companies across nearly every industry, and it is a clear leader in its own industry of job search and recruitment. Users have access to people, jobs, news, updates, and insights that can help lead to relevant jobs or potential employees. Job seekers do have to pay to access many of the features on LinkedIn, like their InMail messaging system, whereas most companies do not charge job seekers. But where it seems like everyone is on LinkedIn nowadays, it's probably worth the investment.

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

It's the Facebook of Business. This site is useful for thousands of business men and women to connect; however, I feel it lacks luster and is slightly confusing. Not my most favorite platform but great for connecting with individuals of like-mind and not necessarily finding employees. The employee-find is more of an incidental when someone from another company now connected to you is looking for greener grass.

Juls Brooklyn, NY

Love the outreach from the site to present other people in your field and the fact that you can reach them by message Very friendly, with a lots of updates on post from other people, it’s kind of like a business facebook

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn is my favorite professional development social media app at the moment. I love the way it allows for you to connect with friends, family and Your professional net work in order to increase his ability to jobs. I really enjoy the job search feature as well as I feel that it is one of the most up-to-date applications in that regard. Additionally the hashtag that you can follow on LinkedIn are substantially helpful and a job search, but also and staying up today on topics that you were interested in. Overall, I always find myself going back to LinkedIn because I have such a positive experience was not only the job search parts of the application but also the media interaction.

r vido Provo, UT

LinkedIn has been extremely helpful in not only a job search engine, but also a career! I have recommended and utilized LinkedIn for years for the great strides that they make in making jobs readily available, providing certification resources, and relevant resume assistance! There is no finer resource available!

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

Linkin is a great social media networking app/site. I have met and expanded my network by leaps and bounds. These days in my field, IT, potential employers want to see your linkedin profile before they will even invite you in to interview. I have also used the linkedin premium for sometime and when actively searching for a job, feel that it's actually worth the fee to use.

Aly Houston, TX

I've been a member for years and honestly do not feel I have gotten much out of it. It feels like something to have just so employers know you're not a serial killer. I also dislike the "who viewed your profile" feature as you don't always want someone to know you've viewed theirs.

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

LinkedIn is the perfect place to find jobs! It's easy to connect with employers and quickly send them your resume. I also love that you can get notifications via email about progress in the hiring process!

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

LinkedIn is a way to more professionally connect with potential employers. I feel like I am set apart from other candidates when I apply via LinkedIn. It's more structured than other job search websites.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

LinkedIn is amazing! The customer service is amazing. The workers get back to you fast, and are always willing to help answer questions. It is also a great way to find jobs/employers!

Paige C Riverton, UT

I really like LinkedIn as a job search site. They show what connections you have at a specific job which is nice since you have a better chance of getting the job if you know someone.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

After putting in preferences of what jobs I am looking for, LinkedIn has sent me emails of relevant job opportunities. However, one thing that could be better is that sometimes I'm not qualified for the job (I'm still a student), so it could use some additional filters.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

It's a bit of a learning curve in the beginning because there's so much information you need to upload, but once I figured out how to really use my LinkedIn, it was a game changer. Now I'm able to connect with so many people at once and provide my potential employers with a clear snapshot of my experience and talents. It's a great tool for college students especially! I get such a dopamine boost when I update my LinkedIn!

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

I do like connecting with others professionally and Linkedin is a great place to do just that! I think it is an awesome way to network.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

This site is a lot more of a social media/networking site than a job search site. It's hard to find jobs on LinkedIn without knowing people, but it's good for employers to look at your background. It's more of a supplement to a job search, rather than a method to find jobs

Kori Travis FL

I like how this site allows you to build up a profile based on your work experience and allows you to connect with other companies who can also look at your profile for future employment

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

Linkedin is a great space to meet professional individuals in your area of interest. I really like how they give you recommendations on who to follow based on where I go to school as well.

Wayne N Phoenix, AZ

LinkedIn has helped me a great deal as an entrepreneur. I've cultivated great business relationships through networking on LinkedIn. I would recommend all business owners and professionals to get a LinkedIn account.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

LinkedIn has a wide array of jobs that you can narrow your search from and you can add your own parameters to help you. There is also a feature that you can be alerted for jobs in the range that you are looking for so you don't really have to search it brings the jobs to you. The features are free but I really like what all you can do on the site that others might charge you for.

badal jain San Jose, CA

I am using linkedin for a very long time and i am pretty happy about the job suggestions i get, the recruiters that reach out to me. I even got my amazon job via linkedin. The content is very professional unlike other social media platforms.

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

LinkedIn was a life saver while looking for a job for my husband during the past year. We turned on a number of alerts to help him find jobs that he was interested in within our area. It was so easy to message recruiters back and forth on the platform and most people already have their resume on there which made the process of filling out applications fairly straightforward. A number of recruiting platforms are also integrated with LinkedIn so that you can quickly apply for positions using the information from your LinkedIn profile which also was a huge perk!

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Works well for an online work presence, also a great tool for job hunting. They do send a lot of emails and offers promoting premium but other than that no complaints.

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

Linkedin has helped me and my small business gain exposure in the business world. I'm able to connect with others in my field and network easily.

Ann Horst San Antonio, TX

I love using Linkedin and being able to connect with people in my field or industry. I also love the resume that it makes from your profile. Super helpful.

Andrea Thomas Bellevue, WA

LinkedIn is easy to use, simple to connect with others that you know and/or are in your field. I enjoy using this site for articles that relate to my field as well.

Chris Bright Tempe, AZ

Search came back exactly as I requested. This is a quality business! The app runs great, and the platform is very simple to use. I love connecting with others in my field.

Cindy Little New York, NY

This keeps me in touch with my business peers without giving them visibility to my facebook activity and photos. It's easy to do a job search, too, and to see what the current market is like for the role I am currently in.

Nina Harris-Whitten Attalla, AL

Your profile goes out all over the world and you have the opition to go in and change what ever needs changing. You get invites to jobs and interviews through this site. It is the best if you have a profile on the site.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

LinkedIn has helped me get my foot in the door when it comes to internships, employment and networking. This is a platform that has helped me all throughout my undergraduate career. With LinkedIn, I am able to locate jobs near me and stay connected to my supervisors, managers and friends. It is the Facebook for professionals!

Joshua Squire Ogden, UT

LinkedIn is a great resource when searching for a new job. My current position came from a recruiter reaching out to me via LinkedIn. It's nice to be able to research a potential company and look at the background of the leaders in that company.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

I seriously have no idea how to use LinkedIn, I got it because I was told it's good for putting yourself out there and finding employers, but it's very convoluted and I don't need 500 "connections".

Dave Spokane, WA

It's critical to have a presence on LinkedIn if you're jobhunting. Although my last job search didn't end with any direct assistance through LinkedIn, since then I have received unsolicited invitations to apply for jobs, and one of them was one that I definitely would have been interested in if I had still been searching.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I've mostly used Linkedin for networking and finding people that have things in common with me. It's always easier to get interviews when you can personally reach out to people. Linkedin makes it easy to do just that

LTorres Austin, TX

I credibly helpful in keeping me connected to my professional network

BingBong Davenport, FL

A great well thought out platform that connects professionals smartly.

Giovanni Mellisa Soesanto Sydney, NSW

Not very active and fun. Good for professional business resume. Not many active members.

jonesaw Houston, TX

LinkedIn should be your one stop location for job search and resume building. It is an excellent place to build a large network of people and stay current with the latest trends in various industries. One of the best tools you can utilize is the job search tool: it has gotten me many interviews over the years and also connected me to many people (including recruiters) who have given me job referrals. Remember it isn't what you know, it is who you know!

Jackie Hanko Tampa, FL

This website is more effective than any other website when it comes looking for jobs because you can see that you have connections that can help you talk to somebody in the company and it’s nice that you can apply street from LinkedIn and I have to put in all your information over and over again in each website that you’re applying to… I’ve been able to reach out to friends about positions at other companies and get information from them to know whether it would be a good fit or not

Happy Camper Mobile, AL

LinkedIn will prompt you for job searches. I have actually got a job through this!

Mary Gunn

I think the more I say about LinkedIn will be very little. I think it’s near to the perfect professional app.

loren Riverton, UT

LinkedIn has helped me meet so many people. It has given me great opportunities to find internships and others that have similar career goals.

Roberta Profitt Marcus Hook, PA

I've been on LinkedIn since it started. I love the website because I get to talk to professional people and see jobs and congratulate or chime in on some posts.

Diante Jordan Milwaukee, WI

Haven’t found a job on LinkedIn officially, however, it’s great to give you an idea of what you might be looking for: and who to look for.

Darci Vasquez Spokane, WA

I have never gotten a job because of Linkedln but it has been a great place to create connections and find opportunities in the career world. I like how it finds friends for me to follow and notifies me of new opportunities.

hemant mahidhara Metuchen, NJ

I have been using LinkedIn for several years now. Helps me network with my current and ex colleagues. Also brings in a lot of contacts for future job openings.

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

It feels like LinkedIn has become one of the go-to places to search for jobs. An advantage LinkedIn has over other places is that you can see who from your network is at the company which can be helpful for getting information about the company or a referral.

Tylyn Hansen American Fork, UT

LinkedIn is amazing and has been an excellent tool for networking. I wouldn’t be where I’m at today in my career without LinkedIn! I love that the content is tailored to my career preferences, as it provides me with news and updates about what's happening in the creative industry, while providing opportunities to connect with other creative individuals and expand that network.

Frederline Jean Jacksonville, FL

I like that it can update your profile on your newest achievements and make posts. I like that LinkedIn can connect you to any professional in branch of the workplace, whether it’s business or medicine or real estate. It’s a good platform for connecting and communicating with individuals from all over. What I don’t like is that you have to pay for specific services and to see who is viewing your account and you can’t always message just anyone.

Sophie Glendale, CA

Linkedin helps you evolve as a career person and helps build a circle of connections that can be helpful for your career and possibly future job opportunities. You can do a lot with a LinkedIn account and become an active member and build a great circle of professional connections, very useful

G Burt ,

LinkedIn does a terrific job of connecting people in a way that helps to further careers and boost industries. I have utilized LinkedIn for job searches and connecting with potential employers in an effort to boost my candidacy, and it has worked great. I do think that premium subscription is too expensive to use long-term.

Blake Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

I got connected to my current job through linkedIn and I love it. other sites have worked for me in placing me in a position quickly, but only LinkedIn has worked to put me in a job that is a perfect fit for my qualifications and that I'm 100% satisfied with.