ID Watchdog

ID Watchdog

ID Watchdog was founded in 2005 by a group of credit professionals who recognized the growing issue of identity theft and sought to create a product that would protect individuals. Today, the company does just that by providing identity protection services to consumers.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 7.9 8.0 Read Review
#2 6.6 9.0 Read Review
#3 6.2 1.9 Read Review
#19 4.9 7.3 Current

The Good

• Monitoring Services
  • Help with Pre-existing Conditions

Monitoring Services

ID Watchdog offers a number of monitoring services, including credit monitoring from all three major bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion), internet monitoring, and social security number monitoring.

Help with Pre-existing Conditions

ID Watchdog offers assistance with restoring damages from pre-existing identity theft events, which is a feature that few companies offer.

The Bad

• Must Call for Family Plan Quote
  • Service Limitations
  • Undisclosed Insurance Information

Must Call for Family Plan Quote

ID Watchdog does offer an identity theft package for families. It covers two adults and all children living in the home; however, customers interested in ID Watchdog's family plan will need to call the company for a quote as this package is not advertised anywhere on the company's site.

Service Limitations

There are a number of services that ID Watchdog does not offer, including financial account monitoring, limited power of attorney, lost wallet assistance, antivirus software, and criminal and tax identity recovery.

Undisclosed Insurance Information

ID Watchdog has not disclosed any information regarding identity theft insurance on its website. It is unclear whether or not the company offers insurance.

Want to know which identity theft companies are top rated? Click Here

The Bottom Line

ID Watchdog offers a number of monitoring services and assistance with preexisting identity theft conditions. However, the company does not offer family plans and it is unclear whether or not insurance is provided. Additionally, there are several other limitations to ID Watchdog's services.

View Top Rated Companies

18 ID Watchdog Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 21st, 2017 IL

I've been with "ID" for 4 years and NO complaints. I get warnings when accounts are opened, I get my credit scores, they monitor many different sites , and ANYTHING that comes up you are able to review it .... and as for complaints of other people with ID not offering 'virus protection' ... my question to them is why don't you have virus protection on your computer to begin with? heck it comes free with windows! A good product that so far delivers what I pay for.

May 25th, 2017 Tempe, AZ

I have been using LifeLock and I D Watchdog for over a year and prefer ID Watchdog. A. I get regular updates from ID Watch dog on loss of data reports about places that have been hacked. This has allowed me to correct for potential ID and password disclosures well ahead of any network news of these incursions. Lifelock has never notified me of a threat. B. I get regular updates from ID Watchdog on addresses and accounts that might connect to me. When my daughter sold her house I got a warning because she is shown as being a potential connection who has HIPAA information about me. C. ID Watch dog has notified me on out of normal transactions that Lifelock has never even registered. My wife made a purchase at a craft fair from a Canadian company and I got a notice from ID Watchdog as soon as the Canadian transaction hit my credit card. I called LifeLock who could not locate that transaction. E. When I call ID Watchdog I can speak to the president if I wish to. Every person I have dealt with was well spoken, knowledgeable and ready to be of assistance. When I call Lifelock I was actually told that I might get better service if I bought an upgraded plan. F. I had an American Express card ID stolen by a Chinese location and ID Watch dog notified me immediately. I called LifeLock and was told they do not get concerned about these because it is the responsibility of the credit card company. If however it became an issue they would be happy to help if I called them and it involved an actual identity theft. And again they might be more interested if I upgraded my membership. Lifelock is much bigger and has lots more reviews but IDWatchdog does a better job for me.

5 0

April 6th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

If you rely on this company for watching over your identity and protect it, forget about it. They are prehistoric in their ways which makes me wonder how effective they can be about their purpose. They do not have safe electronic ways to communicate, they do not have encrypted communication. They rely instead of secure faxes to be in touch with customers. That means to request additional expenses or buying machines that have no further usage these days. Very poor customer service.

1 1

February 15th, 2017 Tampa, FL

ID Watchdog provides outstanding service. Whenever I have an alert come through my phone via text, I just give them a call and in less than a minute they explain what triggered the alert and we clear it. The Certified Recovery Specialists are courteous and professional. I recommend to anyone I know who is looking for this type of service. Note: I would never recommend LifeLock

December 31st, 2016

I was charged for there service that i never applied for, and in trying to clear up this error i was given the run around. I spoke to 5 different people in 3 days each stated that when i called back to ask for them big mistake they put you on hold and go talk to the person you want to talk to and ehen asked for a supervisor's direct number was told they could not fo that. I just find it kind of ironic that a identy frsud company could not find out who was using there name to fraud other people. Doesn't mske me want to do business with them.

October 22nd, 2016 Hyannis, MA

The product is average. For $20 a month you also can view your credit reports. As far as anything over and above viewing your information, this service and the employees offer no other assistance. They recommend contacting the credit bureaus and dealing with any problems there, rather than providing any assistance. To top it off, they behave as if you've interrupted their day on the beach and are an inconvenience. Attitude is everything and after speaking with 2 employees, I cancelled my 1 week old account. You are unable to cancel without contacting them and if you do cancel in the middle of a paid month, you lose it. I was told to call back prior to the next billing cycle to cancel. Very rude people. Buh-bye!

2 0

October 16th, 2016 Astoria, NY

ID WATCHDOG is NOT a 24/7 service, as advertised. Instead, it was a 24/7 "answering service," even though they could not answer any questions either. I just paid $149 for their annual membership. While completing my registration, after they required me to submit the credit charges first, I could not answer their questions to verify my identity because the answer choices consisted of false information, the basis for my identity theft and the reason I signed up for their service in the first place! The message on the screen asked me to call their 1-800 number, and when I did, I got an answering service to take my message. When I asked when I should expect to hear from someone else, the lady could not tell me. This was not the 24/7 service I signed up for, especially when I was in a state of panic.

2 0

April 17th, 2016 Irving, TX

The customer service is horrible. As u r trying to talk to them they try to overtake the customer not giving the customer a chance to respond.

December 21st, 2014 South Lake Tahoe, CA

I love ID Watchdog. I have been with the company 3 years and the service is just what you need. Had one problem and ID was the first to alert me to a possible problem. Turned out to be nothing, but if there was a problem ID alerted me quickly.

February 23rd, 2014 New York, NY

Fantastic product!

February 21st, 2014 Vallejo, CA

Great product!

February 21st, 2014 San Francisco, CA

I can't recommend ID Watchdog enough. Really amazing service and their customer support is fantastic.

ID Watchdog is great!

February 21st, 2014 Studio City, CA

Great Product!

Great product!

February 21st, 2014 Modesto, CA

The best product in the space. Seriously, you should use it.

February 21st, 2014 Portland, OR

I'm quite happy with ID Watchdog, especially the analytics based High Risk Monitoring. I also like knowing there is a $1M insurance policy to back everything up.

February 21st, 2014 Broomfield, CO

ID Watchdog's service is a lifesaver. I had purchased a subscription with them as part of my benefits package at work, not knowing if ID protection was really worthwhile. About a year later I had an identity theft nightmare. Not only did they catch it right away, they helped me clean it up. Their support staff was awesome the whole time. Well worth it.