Northstar Alarm is a home security and automation company with over 44,000 customers in 22 states. The company offers five monthly monitoring packages to choose from, but does not publicly disclose pricing information on its website. Northstar provides its customers with 24/7 professional monitoring and a lifetime warranty on equipment from Honeywell. Northstar Alarm is an upstanding member of both the National Fire Protection Association and the National Burglar and Fire Alarm Association.

#1 Protect America chevron_right
#2 Frontpoint chevron_right
#3 Guardian Protection chevron_right

The Good

• 24/7 Professional Monitoring & Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • No Landline Phone Connection Required
  • Free Mobile App Remote Access

24/7 Professional Monitoring & Lifetime Equipment Warranty

Northstar Alarm offers five home security packages that feature home automation, energy management, and video surveillance services. The wireless cellular communication systems feature 24/7 professional monitoring and a lifetime service protection warranty on the equipment.

No Landline Phone Connection Required

No landline phone connection is required for Northstar Alarm's security systems.

Free Mobile App Remote Access

The control panels feature two-way voice technology so customers can communicate in real-time with dispatchers in the case of an emergency. Northstar Alarm provides Rapid Response Monitoring which allows them to dispatch help from emergency service providers within seconds an alarm signal is received. Customers receive remote access control of all included features through a Total Connect mobile app from Honeywell that can be used on any device. Customers are able to control home lighting, temperature, and even small appliances from the app. The surveillance technology provides live video access in the home anytime from anywhere. Customers can record and playback video footage anytime as well.

The Bad

• Five-Year Contract
  • No Pricing Disclosure
  • Numerous Consumer Complaints
  • Automatic Contract Renewal

Five-Year Contract

Customers are required to sign a contract lasting five years.

No Pricing Disclosure

The company does not publicly disclose pricing information for its home security plans on its corporate website. Even though equipment repairs are free of charge under the lifetime warranty, customers are responsible for a minimum $35 trip charge per home visit.

Numerous Consumer Complaints

Many complaints involved alleged miscommunication from Northstar Alarm sales personnel to customers about contract lengths and monthly pricing on its home security plans. Customers also had problems with faulty equipment and trouble canceling service accounts.

Automatic Contract Renewal

Northstar Alarm also automatically renews contracts unless the customer provides written notice of cancellation at least 60 days prior to the end of the initial or renewal contract term.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

Northstar Alarm offers several choices for home security solutions that feature 24/7 professional monitoring and lifetime equipment service protection; however, the company requires customers to be locked into a contract for five years and is not transparent upfront regarding pricing. The company also has received numerous complaints regarding its customer service.

View Best Home Security Companies

Reviews from #1 Home Security Company

Protect America

DCH
October 11th, 2018 | Hampton, VA

Jenny was great. We recently had to move due to a threat to my home. My old setup wasn’t effective. After speaking to Jenny my wife and I started to brainstorm with her and she kept giving us options that were affordable and EXACTLY what we were looking for. Now can’t wait to get it in and installed. Rush ship it please 😄

Kelly Geels
September 17th, 2018 | Visalia, CA

Fast set up and great customer service, system works well. Love that equipment was free and no contracts! Perfect for our family

1.3

Katie Elizabeth
May 29th, 2019 Converse, TX DETAILS

I will never recommend North Star to anyone again. I have had my system less than a year and already have had several problems. The CS was always great, but unfortunately, the problem I have had over the past month make me rethink this company. I switched to fiber for Internet and we had to get a new modem which meant new Internet user name and password. I had no problem getting everything switched over, but our garage camera stopped working. I troubleshooted for weeks with tech over it by unplugging it and plugging it back in, moving the WiFi extender, deleting and reinstalling the camera 3 different times, and nothing worked. They decided to just replace the camera, but said I needed a tech to come out and do it. They said a tech would call in 48 hours. Never got a call so I called NorthStar back to ask what to do. They reached out to the tech who claimed to have been trying to call me. They left the tech a voice mail to call me back. They finally called me around 6 PM and said they could not come out until the end of next week. By this time my camera has already not been working for almost 3 weeks. I said I couldn't be home at that time as my child has an appt during the time frame. The woman sighed loudly and rudely and said she could try for a Saturday appt but would have to call me back. Never got a call back. Every time I reached out to CS I was told to wait until the end of business. I did that and was told, sorry they were gone for the weekend. Every time I called, I was told to wait. I asked to be compensated for the month of not having a working camera. I was told sorry they don't do that. Excuse me? So I am paying for a product that doesn't work? 8 days after the work order was put in for my new camera, I again called CS because it was the end of business and I STILL hadn't gotten any kind of call to be on the schedule. They finally were able to connect me to the company sending out the tech and of course there is nothing available for another 10 days. So I had no choice but to be put on the schedule for next Friday (today is Tuesday) and hope they show up. I tried reaching out over email and Facebook as well, and was told "how sorry" they were and that someone would call me about it. No one ever called, again. This company only cares about getting your money and locking you into a 5 year contract. Stay away from them.

samuel townea
May 22nd, 2019 Sierra Vista, AZ DETAILS

worst company to buy from, no service for system; will not cancell when requested.

Toni B
May 20th, 2019 Cleveland, OH DETAILS

Everyone has their own opinion and perspective. My experience has been pleasant. Terrance was very professional and reiterated everything to me so that i would thoroughly understand everything i was getting. He saved me tons of money & he also had a tech to my home the very next day who I was also quick and professional. I have recommended my neighbors family and friends.

Faith Morgan
April 16th, 2019 Jonesboro, AR DETAILS

DO NOT do business with this company. I am 85 yrs old. My husband had just died & I was trying to get my life back on track. My children advised me to get a security device. Long story short, I ended up with NorthStar, wasn't told it was for 5 years, tried to cancel, but was told I would have to pay them $1000 to cancel, they take $57 automatically out on my Amex, and I cannot afford that since I am now living on Social Security. I get no response from them.I am still trying to cancel them out. The only time I heard from them is when they couldn't get a payment to go thru. They lost no time calling. I tried to tell them what I wanted to do & the man told me he would get someone from customer service to call me back. I never heard. On top of that the equipment doesn't even work, so I'm paying each month for nothing.

D Haskett
November 26th, 2018 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

I have spoken to people with NorthStar numerous times through email, phone, and messages. I have explained the situation. I have also explained my disappointment in this company and the lack of assistance in the situation. I have explained that I had to sell my home this summer due to the financial bind that my ex husband has put me in. I have had to move to an apartment where I cannot use the equipment. I cannot afford to pay the $72 a month over my monthly bills to just live. This company ropes you into a contract and as soon as it is signed the company is not helpful in any form or fashion. It is sad that a customer would have to research that first. But instead was taken advantage of by a company due to being a single mom with children at home.

Elizabeth Dean
September 17th, 2018 Flint, MI DETAILS

Committed fraud to get me into a 5-year contract, when I insisted I would not go above 3. Changed the contract to 3 on the top page of the carbon pack, but apparently used a shield so the under copies said 5. Also contract said it was signed day 6 of 19th month.

Cheryl Fregolle
September 10th, 2018 Dearborn, MI DETAILS

I do not recommend doing any business with NorthStar Alarm service as their practices are coercive, predatory and place an unfair and unreasonable financial burden on customers both in their monthly service fees and when attempting to cancel a contract. My husband lost his job, and I called to cancel my contract with NorthStar, and they told me that it will cost me $2,000 to cancel my service and offered me no reasonable solution to my financial problem. Further, they threatened to send me to collections and file a negative remark on my credit if I didn't pay them, which is extortion and coercion. When I initially signed up with NorthStar, I felt coerced to purchase a product that I was not in the market to purchase because the salesman strong-armed me and would not leave until I signed the contract and then it locked me into paying at least $20 more per month for the service than what competitors charge for 60 months!!!! I have filed a complaint with my State Attorney General's office and do not recommend anyone do business with this company ever!!!! They are not interested in customer service. They are only interested in unreasonably enriching themselves on the backs of financially struggling consumers.

Helen McDonald
February 23rd, 2018 Detroit, MI DETAILS

you should have a minus rating, A 1 star rating is far from true. They deducted 3 payments from my bank account in a 2 week period in one month, when they should have only taken 1 pymt per month that included installation fee. This caused me overdraft fees that they never gave back to me. So I closed my bank account and started paying them by money order. Then they started harassing me even claiming that I wasn't paying them, not knowing that I have copies of every filled out money order sent to them every month. Time won't allow me to tell everything in the space allotted. But the last straw is that they cancelled my monitoring system and never to corresponded to me I didn't use the alarm because I have a grown son that is incapacitated for which I am his legal guardian, and he would set the alarm off going in and out of the house. I noticed that the alarm was saying on the panel that "System trouble - 103 Comm. trouble". When I called them, they said that they could not fix my alarm because my account has been cancelled." When I called back to find out why it was cancelled, 'the person I talked with didn't know and that I would have to talk to someone else in another department, but they had gone home. I asked the person when was it cancelled thy told be Jan 25th or 26th I don't remember which of the 2 days, so I have this alarm system that doesn't work, and no one ha bothered to call to speak to me regarding it not working. There is no way to speak to anyone with any authority. They don't give out any phone numbers to talk with anyone in any position of authority. I was just filling out my February money order to pay them when I found out about the alarm not working, so I told them I would not be sending anymore payments until I talked with someone. I would not recommend them to anyone. And the 5 year contract is real.

RON HEMRY
January 15th, 2018 Star, ID DETAILS

Long contract, need 60 day cancelation notice at end of contract. Can not get out of contract no matter what

aaron
November 1st, 2017 Houston, TX DETAILS

I was in a five(5)yr contract with them paying a high amount of $57 monthly automatic deduction from my bank account and then I wasn't able to cancel because they stated I was in a automatic renewal, that I have to write a 60 day written notice of cancellation. The team they have is very unprofessional that didn't respond back to any of my emails or calls. There is no life time warranty on the equipment if you are no longer with them, so if any sensors break do not waste your time.

Cindy
October 24th, 2017 Renton, WA DETAILS

1 star is too high of a rating. Our equipment has never worked properly, and they have never made any effort to try and fix it. I have been trying to cancel our alarm for several months now, and they won't respond to any of the written correspondence (using the email address they told me to send the cancellation request to). They won't cancel by calling over the phone. If you want an alarm that works, and a company that will cancel when you request it, stay far away from Northstar.

Roy and Shirley McGregor
October 16th, 2017 Arvada, CO

I took this company Northstar to court,they did not show,I now have a judgement for my 3&1/2 plus years I did not have service,and I will do all and anything to get the money owed to me,they sent a letter to the court days after they were due in court,and they said I refused assistance,well they wanted to send me more of the bad tape for the monitors,why would I wait 3 or 4 days for the tape to get here,and not have service for those days ,my husband bought gorilla tape and that ended that ,then the motion detector in the living room was going off for no reason several times and the last time we left our phones in the car helping a friend,we got in our car to leave ,I checked my phone,it was northstar they said the motion detector went off in the living room and they had dispatched the police,the next phone call came in saying they could not send the police because I needed a permit(I have these conversations on my phone in voicemail) In the letter to me and the judge they have said no permit is required in response area,police refusal to dispatch not attributable to northstar,I have the proof on my phone,I have my judgement they just need to pay up. Shirley McGregor

Kenneth Holley
August 29th, 2017 Chesapeake, VA

I canceled my service 2 weeks before installation and I have not gotten my activation fee back

Linda B Peters
August 14th, 2017 Raleigh, NC

Not happy with customer service or Tech help. They don't seem to know your system and what you have. Have given wrong information. Wished I didn't have a 5 yr contract!

Rob
August 10th, 2017 TX

Very pleased with the work I got done here from the cost to the service... I had an issue with a bad sensor and that same day they were here repairing it. Defy recommend these guys

Steven Paris
July 14th, 2017 San Antonio, TX

I've had this service for a month now and pleased with the function and overall cost. The installation service was satisfactory and the post installation customer support has been good. Had an issue with the SkyBell door bel and the installation technetium was out the next day and solved it. I am satisfied

Mike
July 13th, 2017

Liar and crooks! They trick you my telling you something about a 18 month renew (which make you think this is the term of contract). Additionally, they use 60 days and 60 months to misled you on the actual contract in five years. I called within 60 days to canceled and that when they stress that you signed a 60 month contract. Now they only wants to talk about how you signed the contract and how it is your responsibility to read the contract. The worst consumer service I have ever experience.

James Rhodunda
March 29th, 2017

the worst co. in the world. installation was NEVER put in right. and 100 days later they are still trying to charge me. NEVER 2.3 YOUR SCORE MY SORE - 9.9 AND COUNTING THE WRONG WAY. FORGET RHIS ALARM CO. THE WORLDS WORST !!!!!!!!!!!

Silas Z. Rayner
March 14th, 2017 Independence, MO

I signed up with a company called Vision in April 2013 in Aptil 2014 Northstar bought my contracts ( I have 3 acccounts) A week ago someone broke into my one of my properties and I recieved no notification. When I called to find out why I was on the phone for over 5.5 hours (mostly on ignore) and was hung up on 6 times. I finally learned that when they bought Vision 2 of my accounts were set up with Northstar But, one was not (they billed me every month for service they didn't provide). They have an idiotic billing system where each account must be on a separate bill and must be paid by separate Check (I have refused to give them the CC they wanted, insisting on monthly billing). I have filed out the claim form they promised would be answered and resolved in3 days it has now been more than a week. They owe me for 34 months of payments, which I doubt I'll see unless I pursue in court.