Lorex Logo

Lorex

3.5

LAST UPDATED: May 2nd, 2022

Lorex is focused on bringing the latest and greatest video technology to all its members so they can capture experiences in all their vivid detail. The company has one of the most easy-to-use home security camera systems on the market. The system integrates easily with apps and helps users to monitor the safety and sanctity of their home.

Lorex provides video solutions to both small businesses and consumers in the United States, Canada, and the UK. The company offers wired, wireless, and IP cameras, as well as larger and more cohesively integrated monitoring systems. Some systems include SD Card recording capability, while others are modeled with more elaborate DVR recording platforms.

Lorex Technology is based out of Markham, Canada. In recent years, a company known as FLIR SYSTEMS, INC acquired Lorex. Lorex's system is pretty streamlined, as it comes with two cameras, but customers can easily expand their home security system beyond that. Customers can add cameras onto the Lorex home security system presented on its website, as well as wireless range extenders, increasing the capabilities of the system in the home.

Unfortunately, the majority of Lorex reviews are negative, noting poor customer service, inadequate tech support, and unreliable products.

Blink Logo
Swann Logo
#3 Swann chevron_right
1.7
star star_half star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Camera System Bundles
  • Skype Functionality
  • Heavy-Duty Recorders
  • Camera Monitor
  • Camera Quality
  • Customization

Camera System Bundles

Lorex has camera bundles available for customers who want to purchase more than one camera at one time. Camera systems can have up to 32 channels, and there are many more to choose from. Lorex's available camera systems are as follows:

Digital IP Systems

Digital IP systems are best for monitoring larger areas with high amounts of traffic, such as warehouses, commercial units, businesses, and residential homes.

MPX/Wireless Systems

MPX systems are best for urban properties, farms, smaller businesses, and residential homes. MPX systems can also include wireless surveillance cameras.

Wire-Free Systems

Wire-free systems are best for users who want the most flexibility with their Lorex security cameras. Being wire-free, these security cameras can be moved with little difficulty. Keep in mind that wire-free systems are ideal for low-traffic areas.

Skype Functionality

Lorex's home security system, the SD7+ wireless home video surveillance kit, is accessible via Skype. There are pros and cons to the Skype functionality. With the Skype feature, you can access the SD7+ system from virtually anywhere in the world, granted you have a Skype account. This is a great way to increase the robustness of the hardware while not worrying about the cross-compatibility between different platforms. The bad news is if you have a Mac, you can't use the system over Skype. The Skype compatibility works on the iPhone (with iOS 4.0 or better) and Android phones (Android 2.3 or better).

Heavy-Duty Recorders

Lorex has heavy-duty network video recorders (NVRs). With 24/7 functionality, the recorders have various recording modes, pre-installed hard drives, as well as the ability to connect to your system using Lorex's mobile app. Most of the recorders include combinations of IP cameras that have pan-tilt-zoom functionality, color night vision, and motorized varifocal lenses.

Other camera capabilities can include IK10 vandal-proof ratings and listen-in audio functionality. The NVRs are also compatible with Lorex's mobile app that allows remote viewing at any time and anywhere.

Lorex has three video recorder options:

• Security NVR
  • Security DVR
  • Wire-Free DVR

Camera Monitor

Another positive is that the SD7+ system comes with a monitor. The Lorex system was one of the only camera packages that we reviewed that included a monitor. The 7" monitor comes with a lot of different settings that enable you to easily adjust the brightness of the screen, view multiple cameras, and add additional cameras that are purchased separately beyond the first two. You can't go beyond 4 cameras, however.

Camera Quality

Lorex security cameras are high quality with a wide variety of features:

• Weatherproof
  • Vandal-resistant
  • 4K resolution
  • Wide-angle
  • Color night vision
  • Two-way audio and talk

Customization

Lorex makes this system very customizable. The basic SD+7 system includes two cameras (you can add two more). However, if you have a larger home, you can purchase additional wireless range enhancers. There are two different range extenders, and you can purchase both of them for $69.99.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Number of Cameras

Limitations

Unfortunately, you cannot use the Skype functionality of the Lorex system with Macintosh computers. This was disappointing, as Skype works pretty well with the Windows operating system. There were a few other details that we read in the fine print that concerned us. For example, you can only upload pictures to a computer if it is running windows.

Another issue that concerned us was that there was no power over Ethernet. If you have a camera as part of the Lorex system, it depends heavily upon conventional power outlets, severely limiting the camera's deployment in the outdoors. Also, in order to interface with a computer, you must have a USB connection between the 7" monitor and the computer. This somewhat limits the system's functionality when a wireless home network is used.

Number of Cameras

With so many surveillance cameras, it may be difficult to decide which ones are the best for you. However, if you do the research and decide which type of Lorex security cameras best fit your ideal security, then the wide variety of cameras may be a convenience to you.

Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

Overall, Lorex offers good basic home security systems. If you have a Mac, buyers beware. You won't be able to use the Skype app on Apple machines due to incapability issues. Also, there doesn't appear to be any momentum on Lorex's part to resolve this issue. However, this is not a truly "wireless" system. If you want to upload camera images or videos to your computer, you will need the SD card or a USB cable to connect to your Window's machine.

The app compatibility product on smartphone devices with this system is acceptable. Lorex supports older versions of iOS and Android (4.0 and 2.3 respectively). In fact, Lorex security systems support the widest range of mobile platforms in terms of age. Some of the products reviewed here only worked with iOS 6.0 or greater. In this sense, Lorex is a good system if you have an older iPhone or Android phone.

Lorex offers a variety of security products with camera system bundles available for those who want a higher quantity of cameras. The company's network video recorders are high quality and include three options: Security NVR, Security DVR, and Wire-Free DVR.

Lorex security cameras are weatherproof, vandal-resistant, wide-angled, and include 4K resolution and color night vision. However, the majority of Lorex reviews are negative, highlighting poor tech support, malfunctioning products, and bad customer service. We suggest looking into home security companies with better reviews and more extensive options.

Need a Full Home Security System? See Top Companies

1.3

Danny Beamer Esmont, VA

We purchased a set of 8 cameras on Amazon and absolutely love them. They are day/night vision and very clear. We couldn't be happier with their products. We had to call customer service a couple of times and they walked us through what we needed to do each time. We installed them ourselves and they had cables that were long enough to reach the box inside the house. We are very happy with their product.

Wendy Shaw Queens, NY

The best top of the line professional security camera I have ever seen. The video quality is elite to its competitors. With 4k ultra HD and advanced motion detedtion. I was alerted when there was movement on my property. But didn't get false alert notifications from falling leafs or branches swaying. With A. I. technology it only detect people and vehicles. Very handy for eliminating all the unnecessary notifications. Stellar night vision with 18 LED infrared sensors. Last but not least...One of the best features in my opinion NO REQUIRED MONTHLY FEE!!!

R Johnson Spokane, WA

I have a motion activated camera system with rechargeable batteries that is about 3.5 years old and the cameras ( 6 cameras ) suck and I even bought the deep cell batteries so they last longer. They don't even start recording about 50% of the time when vehicles drive by my business. It has gotten worse over time. I had a crime in my neighborhood and the police wanted to look at my camera recording but it was useless and 3 cameras should have caught the car.

Tony Almeida Toms River, NJ

Have been using their old Lorex LH016000 for many, many years. All of the sudden I go to look at recording from a prior date and it was not working. Troubleshooted a bit and saw that it stopped recognizing the hard drive. Ordered compatible drive and installed it, but same problem. Called Lorex and was told by customer support, that they no longer support that feature. Which in fact means, that they went out of their way, to stop something that was working fine....so I'd be forced to buy a newer system. I understand companies no longer updating their old products, but going out of their way to stop main feature to work, to force a new purchase is not only underhanded but beyond any kind of logic. There's not even a way for me to install an older version, so system could have kept working as before. I would never trust this company again and would never buy any of their products, for this reason alone.

Kara W Lehighton, PA

I really like the quality of the Lorex cameras. I just wish they weren't so sensitive with the motion detection, although I'm sure it's probably difficult with any camera system. Otherwise, I am very happy with them

Pierre Lavoie Courtenay, BC

Where do I start, I've had my system for a couple of years. I have a couple of low light areas that I used B&W setting; worked fine until the last update. Now the cameras are picking up some kind of flying particles even if there's no wind or precipitation; I was getting notifications every 30sec. Cameras with color settings are not picking up that dust which makes me suspect the latest software/firmware update. Overall I find the camera detection range to be around 10ft, not as advertised. Technical support is frustrating and product documentation is non-existent. No information is provided to help the customer figure out various settings and their interaction in various conditions. I would not recommend this product.

corrinna oandasan Kailua-Kona, HI

absolutely love my security camera i feel safe when i am home alone i can see who is at my door and who is arriving what i kind of dont like is that when there is an outage and it reboots the start up response is loud

Michael Shipp

The system its self is easy to install, it really is just connect the cables turn on the dvr, update the system and away you go. I'm usless with computers so was worried about the dvr interface, but to my suprise it was stright forward stuff. DO NOT LOOK FOR YOUTUBE HELP TRY YOURSELF FIST, I say this as the videos you will watch will confuse you, there is nothing complex about the hardware on the dvr. The camera quality is good 1080p , cameras are quiet discreet looking and dont impose on the building toomuch if placed correctly. I can't comment on the customer service by lorex as I've not needed to contact them, I got the two camera system in the uk from maplin for £249, all in all im very happy with the system and the ease of seting it up.

David Chua San Diego, CA

Bought Lorex 2K system from Costco as a Christmas present for a friend. Worst Christmas present I have ever given. It cannot record automatically when it senses motion and requires receiving a notification from the app and pressing a button to manually record. What a ridiculous design! Spent over four hours with their incompetent technical support and finally had to return it to Costco. Only purchase this if you enjoy pain and frustration.

bugsy k Columbus, OH

I see so many reviews on here with the same problem as i. someone also mentioned class action. maybe we all should get together and start one. Not even a 3 year old security camera system. paid $800 for. the recorder is done and over, they refuse to acknowledge its there fault and wont send me another. my revo lasted over 10 years. they're automatic firmware updates im sure is the problem. they deny this, i will find a techy person that knows how to look into the hardware/ software to prove this. look at there website almost every recorder has been discontinued. this is done to make you upgrade your device to there new ones. they dont care bout how much you spent on your system. do not buy lorex if ya dont want someone controlling your pocket and purposely destroying your equipment thru there automatic updates to make you upgrade.

dalia saha Capitol Heights, MD

I am writing a complaint about this company, Lorex, which sells security camera systems. I am including several pieces of documentation to address this issue. I purchased this unit from BJ's wholesale club in April 2020. It came with a recording hard drive(NVR) and 4 cameras.The link for the system is below. The cost for this system , including installation, was well over $1500. The system was installed for my elderly parents who live in a house in Providence, RI. I travel for work and split my time between RI and DC and am not able to be there to give hands-on assistance. One of the cameras, as of a week ago, which covers the front door entrance to the house, stopped functioning and went completely offline. After my parents contacted Lorex Customer Service, Lorex determined that the camera was defective and needed to be replaced. Their customer service agents were not understanding of this situation and demanded that the camera's serial number be provided, in order for a replacement to be sent. I pointed out to them that since this is a security system, the cameras are mounted above ground, at least 15 feet in the area. It was not realistic or safe to have octogenarians who have limited mobility , climb a ladder to take the picture that Lorex was demanding. Today, I spoke with Lorex again(Case ID-0130328891, Mary), who demanded my credit card in lieu of the picture but that 'my card would not be charged'. I was on the phone with them for another 3 hours, and the Lorex service would not honor their agreement. I also contacted BJs(Ref # 5104235) to inform them that they were wholesaling defective products. The entry point remains unmonitored and is not safe. I am requesting urgent help to get this defective camera replaced.

Stephen

I have read and was alarmed at the negative posts regarding the Lords Eco Stratus App update mid August. Having spoken to them today on an 0800 number I was impressed with their response. The agent was very professional and advised me they had a firmware problem which means the App will no longer work on certain models. He said the would send me a new replacement Hard Drive Recorder which will work with the App and said it would take two weeks. The system is over three years old and is Model LH041 with Wi-Fi cameras. Quite frankly, I'm delighted with their response.

Dave Superior, WI

I was working in Texas, however my home is in Wisconsin. I had a trip home planned in August and ordered my Lorex system (a four channel wireless) to be delivered so I could install the system while at home. Lorex sent me the tracking number and delivered the box within three weeks of the order. I charged each battery until the green light showed not for the required 24 hours per the instructions. This was inadequate for the battery life. I then charged each battery for 24 hours each and realized 2 months life from each battery after that. I had a few issues with the pairing of the cameras to the VR, called customer service, actually had to leave my phone number, and received a call back the same day, which the representative logged into my VR and got my cameras all working I think 30 minutes of the call back. After I had the system working (great by the way) my alert said that the system was disconnected. I contacted Lorex, via telephone, talked to a representative within minutes of my call and was informed that Lorex occasionally needs to update the system and therefore shut the system down. They indicated that they normally try to do this at night but sometimes that isn’t possible. I have recommended this system to others.

David Butterworth

I have purchased 3 Lorex Technology camera systems in the last 2 months. I was given a UPS tracking number each time and followed them from Indiana all the way to B.C. Canada. They all arrived within the timeframe and I could not be happier. After trying other camera systems from Best Buy that were lower quality and far more expensive these Cameras are a breath of fresh air. Installation could not have been easier and picture quality is fantastic. Currently have 16 of the 24 cameras installed and they work great.

Don Evans Hendersonville, TN

The performance of this system (LNR616) is astonishing at this price point. I absolutely love this system. Software does take some work to understand it fully, but that's more because it does so many things and gives you so many options. The system practically configures itself out of the box. (well it does configure itself except for user specific data and specific user preferences) LOREX tech support can be a bit hard to contact at times, but "usually" when you get someone, they really seem to be able to help or answer a question. They genuinely seem ready to help as well. I've purchased more cameras and they are easy to add to the existing system. I do have an unusual level of knowledge of CCTV, but, "Things" have really changed in the 30 years since I since I worked with CCTV "years ago." I will admit, things would have been easier if I had read the manual instead of thinking I "knew everything" I needed. Still, prior network experience is not needed but definitely is helpful. Keep good notes of passwords and settings. FLIR's (LOREX's) DDNS service is neatly and easily setup, but keep notes of everything you do or change. I agonized for about a month about who's system to purchase and how much to spend. This system has really been a winner for me. I love it! One note: (It was no small factor in my purchase decision that FLIR now owns LOREX. I have had some experience with FLIR and them being involved "ultimately closed the deal for me)

Joe Frahm Huntington, NY

PLEASE done waste your money. Maybe a good deal here and there but as the saying goes "You get what you pay for " I've had this system for a couple of years now and since day one I have had issues. The app sucks, the cameras just keep disconnecting. I purposely put my cameras out of reach and purposely hardwired the power so I wouldn’t have to get to cameras to recharge batteries, but ALL I DO is have to get to the cameras to resynch them OVER and OVER and OVER and they never stay connected. Maybe a day or 2 if I am lucky. My cameras are ALL within 15 ft of DVR and without many walls or obstructions, I have a great router and wifi and yet they still disconnect all the time. Every time I look at my app, frozen or disconnected cameras, loading and loading. So basically useless cause I every time I need it for something it FAILS ME. I have called tech support several time and that is pretty much useless. Last time I called I got someone in Philippines that I knew more about the system than they did. I have resynched so many times that I just give up for a few months and then try again. I have checked firmware…etc. Most recently (this weekend) I took all my cameras inside near the DVR, resynch them all to the system, make sure all the settings I want are there, cameras working, can see them on app and monitor, I then take them one at a time to install spot and I walk literally like 10ft with no obstruction and it loses connection. I did a WIFI survey with ipads, cell phones, laptops and wifi signal is super strong. Its just these cameras and system are pure junk and waste of peoples money and time. I now have a system with 3 cameras, hundreds of dollars invested, hundreds of hours of my time trying to get it to work correctly and reliably and it is NOT working AT ALL. None of the cameras will stay connected at this point. Please do your research and find a different system so you dont waste your valuable money and most of all your TIME!

j wayneair Clemmons, NC

I started with a wireless system, but the response time was too long for my liking. Sent it back, replaced it with 4K IP nocturanals cameras and NVR. It’s been an amazing system for the last 3 years. No issues whatsoever.

Murat Chicago, IL

I'm going to make a short comment. I plead with all potential customers do not buy the Lorex product. The product is bad and customer service is horrifying. Simply as that!!!! Don't do it!!! Buyers beware!!!

Mb Riverbank, CA

One of the worst cameras I think I've ever purchased the most difficult to set up and God forbid if you lose your password cause then the account gets locked and there's no help at all ended up throwing it in the garbage

Glenn LaRocco Saint Charles, IL

Worst Company I have ever dealt with for warranty just installed a 16 camera system three cameras are bad they are making me jump threw hoops and still no satisfaction on getting replacements called my credit card company and they will now intervene on this case, Just Ridiculous !

Budget Landscape & Demolition Winnipeg, MB

Worst customer service ever. Placed an online order on their own website a week goes by and they charged my credit card yet no one at customer service or their web site can tell me if in stock, when it will be shipped. Could not speak to a manager to escalate the issue. Only given another email to make a request!

Mike Kirkelie

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the quality of the camera system I paid for, because I only received my recorder. My bad for not checking the content of the package I received in a timely manner, but it doesn't change the fact that I paid $800 dollars and never received my cameras, brackets, or cables. I spent two months calling and emailing then, was told twice they would ship the cameras, then basically told me I was out of luck. I sent back the recorder I had received with a letter, and never heard from them again. They kept my $800, and I got absolutely nothing.

Jack Floyd Charlotte, NC

I purchased 3 complete Home Center Packages with 2 outdoor cameras and 2 indoor cameras in each package. Both indoor cameras in all 3 packages will not stay online. Reboot them or remove from system and re-install and some times they will stay online for a few minutes at best and never more than 24 hours! I have called customer support multiple times and get the total run-around. "Need to reboot", "need to check software version", "can you move the camera", are the instructions for all problem cameras located in 3 different locations! The whole point for these type systems, is to be able to monitor a place while you are not there, right? Three completely separate systems in 3 different cities, miles apart and on 3 different wifi networks with the exact same problem on the exact type cameras! I might not be the smartest guy in this world but I got enough sense to know the indoor cameras provided with all three of these systems, is the problem. They are trash and that's exactly where they are going. IF YOU BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE AFTER READING THIS YOU DESERVE WHAT YOU GET!!

Stephen George Grasby

The wi-fi wireless system was working perfectly until the August upgrade that crashed everything. We called so many times it was a bloody joke. Different case numbers, other options of fixing, and then finally, the new one arrived. Aug 15 to October 1 no operating system and luckily no problems. When and if this system dies we will never purchase from Lorex again.

Brett Crandall

The system was quite difficult to get up & running when I bought it 2 years ago (I am NOT a techie) but I got good support from Lorex. I'm very surprised with this latest update, that it wouldn't be all set to go before they shut down my system for over a week?! (not the first time it's been shut down either) I'm just a pee-on consumer who isn't that affected- pity the business that relies on their video systems!

K Brown Acworth, GA

We loved your cameras bought a set for a rental as well told others to buy. NOW Your upgrade has left my house unsecure!! We have gotten no where with you sent in by net two tickets for Tech support. Just now called that was a joke. SO we went to areas saw mass amounts of angry people on this issue. So we copied what you told them to do that did not work. We will try a few tonight and my husband plans to recall you company everyday. Some person at Lorex told us to call back next week and either said the 22 or 27th who could understand that. Ridiculous. These issues should be your main concern fix it on your end resend texts out and start all over again within a week!!

Stormy Weathers

I have been using this LHA4100 unit for over 3 yrs now. The camera's internal settings are adjusted by a secret method only known to a few tech supports. That is by way of the PTZ controls. As stupid as this sounds you can fine tune your non PTZ camera's (stationary camera's) with specific viewing controls not found in any other part of their software. What I don't like is that the settings are NOT user friendly and there is no manual specifying specifically what each control does! 2nd the Lorex Client 13 software will not remember the login info after a few days of non use ,it requires it to be manually entered even though Remember Password is selected! 3rd I would prefer to have all the camera's set to Mainstream when starting Client 13 not Substream as high speed data is common and is what I have. This option is NOT available that I could find. Client 13 really needs more work!

Markus Miller Port Saint Lucie, FL

Got the 2 camera system and its a total desaster.it doesnt work half the time and technical support isnt any help either. Save your money everyone and get a proper product instead

Jonathan Beaudry Terrebonne, QC

Don't buy Lorex systems... you will lost your time and money. Horrible client service... I bought more than 50 IP systems from Lorex as installer and all have the same problems... you will not be able to see the main stream without freeze or serious lag of the image on your cell phone and computer. Their server suck, no speed for their clients. They will tell you that your upload speeds isn't ok... seriously my client have 250mgb in upload speed, my client have only 2 caméras and Lorex said it's the client speed each time... idiots!!!

TechMan Burnsville, MN

We have been a customer of Lorex systems since 2016, both business and personal. The product is moderately priced and of reasonable quality, IF you do not need support. We are a tech savvy business so we can make the systems work for our needs, BUT when we contact support it is nearly non-existent. They may answer the phone and interact with you, but terrible on standing behind any warranty, and terrible poor technical knowledge. Now we know this is not 100%, but about 90% of the time we contact support, we leave frustrated, and either figure it out ourselves, or simply buy different hardware, either from Lorex or some other brand. When we buy Lorex, we do so recognizing we do not plan on receiving any worthwhile support. All made in China, support in Phillipines...no USA support or interest. Own 4-5 systems currently paid around $2000.

WHO Am I West Kelowna, BC

“Bought a Lorex system to replace my aging but perfect old system. Thought all was fine until I read an article to actually "comb" through all footage. WOW! System missed many events. Lorex got involved and after many, many, hours, replacement of cameras, system still misses events. Talked to their best tech (Vitaliy). Last thing he said this system does not have enough "horse power" and was only an entry system. Rep online says to keep talking to Vitaliy while he says there is nothing he can do. If you want to keep your family safe, especially in these dangerous times, buy another brand like I have to do now. I have no choice now but to sell discount Lorex system to buy a Supercircuits system. My old system was Supercircuits and never missed 1 event while not catching every snowflake.

Brian Miller Westminster, CO

Lorex has to be the worst company to order anything from I ordered an nvr and two cameras from them and a week later they sent me an email telling me they wanted pictures of utility bills to prove I'm me and the bill have to show your name and address who gets paper bills anymore they told me if I want to reorder I can use pay pal because apparently pay pal can't be hacked like a credit card can in there minds the have the worst policies and the worst customer service of any company I have ever had to deal with I will never understand how a company with such horrible customer service and policies can stay in business so long

Shane Hughbanks ,

02-17-19 Lorex will not help me even after several attempts to resolve my issue! When I updated my review on Google, I received an email from the Lorex Senior Retention & Feedback Manager. The manager stated to me in the email, "Right off the bat, you should understand that I am not Customer or Technical Support (I'm sure you've had your fill with those two departments) but more of a standalone department that oversees special cases. It's easier to see me more as Human Support than anything else. I’m really sorry you had to go through all this crap just for me to come across your case. I’m going to take a look to see why our tea, didn’t resolve this ordeal and, more importantly, could close the issue in a few emails". Mr. Senior Retention & Feedback Manager, I have sent you multiple emails asking you to get back to me, and you have not! Just as the Customer and Technical Support Teams have lied to me, YOU have also lied to me by not returning my emails. Do you remember telling me in the same email, "Let’s start there- I promise the finish line is just ahead. I’m always around, Cheers,"? I did receive two calls recently from the Lorex Technical Support Team. The person on the phone both times said the phone number so fast you could not pick up all ten digits. I even sent an email back to the Senior Retention & Feedback Manager explaining this, and you guessed it, He has not responded. No wonder the Customer Service and Technical Support team does not provide customer service when their leadership does not provide customer services and lies to the customers. Again, save your money and buy a different security camera system. I have six cameras that will not work since Lorex last upgraded their system, and they have failed to help me even with a five-year warranty that I purchased to protect my cameras. Shane Hughbanks, A very dissatisfied customer.

Robert Austin, TX

I had a Lorex Flir-FX system that worked fine until Lorex closed down that system in 2019 and replaced the camera with a Lorex LNWCX-C camera. The replacement camera model # does not exist on the Lorex web site. Not only does it not exist on their web site, it doesn't work. Never has worked. I have tried to get it working over the past several months but have not gotten anywhere, so I gave up out of frustration. I called Lorex and I have emailed them but all I've gotten is the run around. They act like it is my fault that the camera does not work. The camera will not link to my phone, period. I do not recommend anyone to buy this camera. The reason I gave it a one star review is because there is no way of giving it a lesser score.

Trevor Hill Statesville, NC

My experience with Lorex is not good at all. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone! I bought a 6 wireless camera system with a 1 Terabyte hard drive. First issue that I noticed right off was I noticed it doesn't come with 1 Terabyte as advertised. It had 553 Gigs. That is 47 Gigs short. That is a lot of space that could be used for recording. When I called and asked about it, I was told that none of them actually came with 1 Terabyte. I said, that's false advertising! Moving on, I bought my system in July of 2019. In September of 2019 I started having multiple issues with cameras making noise, no sound on cameras sometime, sounds like the cameras are being fried, and the dvr making a sound like a fan running and making long beeping sounds just to name a few problems. I have sent emails repeatedly and called repeatedly since September of 2019. I was told in December by a technician that her supervisor approved for me to be sent 1 camera, like that was gonna fix anything but it was a start. The camera never came so I called back. When you call you might get somebody in the Philippines, next time somebody in South America, then back to the Philippines. Do you feel my frustration?! When I didn't get the camera, I called back. They said they didn't know what was going on with it and I ask them to put a trace on the camera and they did. It had never been sent! I was livid. I called back again and spoke to someone different again, and the technician and her supervisor apologized and said they were gonna send it to me fast this time since I didn't get it. They said if the camera didn't fix all the problems, I would be getting a new DVR. Guess what, the camera never came, again. I called back again, to South America. I went through the whole freaking story again and I talked to the Supervisor and they apologized over and over and said we are gonna send a new camera and you will receive it in 5-7 business days. If the camera doesn't fix my issues then I am gonna get a new dvr, they said. I will believe it when I see it. I have been trying to get Lorex to warranty their stuff for 6 months now and I have got no where. I have jumped through every hoop and hurdle, trouble shooting multiple, multiple times. Lorex should take care of me in a very big way. Some free range extended antennas would be nice for starters. I have never seen a company more unprofessional! My Uncle is a Senior Producer with ABC News in New York and he knows about how I have been treated. He and I have talked about them doing a story on me about how Lorex has treated me. I guess we need to do that.I am disabled. We have security issues and I need a good working system and a company that is gonna stand by their word and treat their customers better. Sincerely, Trevor

James Buddy Rogers Maple Ridge, BC

I ordered a system with 6 cameras, NVR and they tossed in a 200 foot cat6 cable. They sent the wrong NVR, so I called. They said it was discontinued and sent this one, which they claimed is better. But, its not. 10TB storage vs 16TB storage for one, not better. So I asked for them to send me one that was more in line with what I ordered, they said no. So they wanted me to pay for a unit and then accept a unit worth less. Either that or return it all, so I returned it all. The cable they sent they refused to sent, too bad so sad I was told. Terrible company to deal with. I couldn't get past the horrible customer service and sales. I was a fool to hope someone I talked with would work with me on getting me what I ordered, and needed. But nope, they could care less. Sad, I was looking forward to the equipment.

UC Jacksonville, NC

having purchased Lorex systems before, I thought I'd try them again. So I purchased two 2K 8 camera systems complete with 2 year warranties direct from Lorex. We had a breakin and while reviewing the recording with the police, I noticed I had a camera out. I have been trying the last three weeks to get a RGA for this camera. I've dotted all my i's, crossed all my t's, answered all their questions, and jumped through all their hoops. Still waiting! I've called numerous times and the answer is the same, You will receive in email. The system is not bad as long as it works. I wouldn't bother with any extended warranty. By the time they honor it, the system will be dead or I will be.

steve magassy Potomac, MD

Lorex LNR 380 Quit working remotely Let me tell lorex something. Your customer service Is the absolute worst in the industry . I have over 35 Logged hours trying to deal with you to absolutely Zero resolve . Go ahead and look at all the notes on my case. Nobody calls me back, I’m on hold for hours st a time, Tier 3 customer service is a disaster, and all I get is call You back to continue the case. I be been promised phone Calls back from supervisors and it doesn’t happen. I purchase this system a few years ago and you made It obselete to use remotely. And this is my fault? Are These systems disposable with a shelf life of 2 years? I’ve been promised exceptions to my warranty and have Emailed back all your requests as well. Look at my file. You even Promised and sent an email confirming shipping a replacement Unit 3 weeks ago. Again another lorex disappointment And fail. Consequently , I had a fire at work where the system Is that would have been detected and taken care of had I remote access via the app . Lorex has been terrible and I want to know what your Final solution is before I throw it away and let others know On Reviews of how lorex products and customer service really is. I don’t have any more time to go back and forth . I hope this finds somebody high up. What are you going to do about this????? Steve

Alain ganamet Ann Arbor, MI

Terrible customer service, on hold for hours, they escalate my ticket and nothing happens. I sent emails, and get emails back promising a call back but nothing happens. I bought early this year 4 WIFI cameras with 2K resolution, and all was well until Lorex discontinued the software they provided to monitor those cameras rendering my system obsolete. They promised to replace with another system but they do not have a 2K WIFI system, I asked for a refund and they are playing hard ball with me foir over 5 month. Stay away from them, their primary focus is the sale, after that you are on your own.

David Morris Mead, OK

I have bought 3 systems directly from Lorex. Two of the systems were 2K and the last 4K, I really like the 4K, it has much better quality video, so I guess I would really give the Lorex systems a 3 or 4 star rating, but the service is the worst, if I could rate the service I have received so far from Lorex it would maybe be a 1/8 star. I bought the extended warranty, with the comforting ideal if I had problems I could get my system fixed in a timely manner. Well my experience with the service so far, is just the opposite . I called Lorex and the only way I could ever speak with a service rep, was to hit option 1 like I was ordering a new unit and the phone would hardly ring before someone was ready to help, not the case with option 2 where the service people are supposed to answer. I have called them several times and even sent an email, besides the first email they asked me to answer a bunch of questions to better help me. They made me a promise I would have an email with a tracking number for the AC to 12 volt plugin that has gone bad on my unit, something I am sure happens often and I would think they would have lots of them in stock, but still no rhyme or reason from Lorex where, why or how much longer it will be before I get my unit back up and running. Today 11/19/19 is day number 20 since my service case was opened and I answered their email within a couple hours of getting it, so no delay on my part and I am still without my unit working at my place. I may need to put up a sign saying "Dear Mr. bad person, please don't steal anything, as my place’s cameras are down until Lorex decides to send me a replacement part that should have only taken 3 days max." Lol

STEVE Berkley, MA

I purchased a wireless system in July 2019 and in August one battery died , I contacted customer support and talked thru the issue with them on the phone for 1 hour I gave them all the information ex model number of the battery , after 3 weeks of emails they finally sent me a new battery only to find out this was the wrong one it is now almost November and with many emails and phone calls still no new battery THE SERVICE AT THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE

jjfabien

Purchased 4 FLIR cameras sold by Lorex. They advertised about rapid recap, the possibility to have videos saved for 1 month (paid service) on their servers, wifi cameras which can be monitored from an app via phones. They all worked very well and after less than 1 year, Lorex decided to cancel this service. They informed their clients that they would refund or exchange the cameras for new ones. They never did and never replied to emails or phones. It was a pure scam. I spent about USD 500 on their cameras and today they are totally scrap and unusable because there are no services or app which support these cameras.

Bill

You have to be good teck person to figure out how to install. Deciding what cameras so what is difficult. Tilt zoom, pan are not common terms to all. Not all cameras have all features so customizing a $500.00 system to meet your specific needs is difficult. A particular camera may have a good distance pic but try to zoom in. No teck support. Buy and hope for the best.

Lou

I bought the Lorex Flix FX camera in 2018. Initially bought one but the camera worked so well I bought another for the back of my house. The product would've received 4 stars but these get knocked down to only one star due to poor customer service. In August the company changed the software and promised that they would send free camera replacements that will support the new software. This means my cameras are now redundant and I was told to wait for the new cameras to be shipped from America and it would take 4 weeks. No sign of the camera a month later and when I chased they promised new dates for the cameras to be delivered and those dates have come and gone. When I chased customer services I was told they will give me a tracking number when cameras are dispatched and no tracking number was sent. This conversation has been repeated several times over email, web chat and the telephone since August. Always ‘the end of the week’ and never any updates. I’m extremely disappointed as I invested in these cameras to protect my home for them then to be unusable a year later. I would prefer if I was told I will not be getting the cameras so I can cut my loses and purchase another set of cameras. An action which I will be doing as almost 3 months without security is beyond a joke. I sincerely hope others read this review and take into consideration the poor customer service once you have purchased your item. I’m sure I will receive a genetic response below from the company about how they sorry they are but it shouldn’t take a poor review to force them to take action.

Gordon Mesa, AZ

After the upgrade the cameras would not work. After 5 hours on hold on the phone and 4 technicians, finally found out that I had to put a password on every camera ( I did not on the past version). The system works good now, but the quality of the video had degraded terrible. The live view and the recorded view works great and you can speed up the recording to a fast speed. Once (if they ever do) upgrade the video quality, I will be happy.

steve Spokane, WA

the camera and dvr system is pretty good. the customer support isnt that great. some times they respond in a few days to a week, this last time its be over 6 weeks. i think the techs just write out anything to get a ticket out of the system. i recently sent an email to them regarding my siren going off intermittently and my reply 6 weeks later was at times our dvr beeps....... not even close to what needed to be addressed.

Fred Pammer Naples, FL

The cameras are fine although not as clear as advertised. Supposed to be 1080P for like 720P. The worst part is the software. I have three different platforms that I try (emphasise try) to look at :Lorex DDMS (Windows), Lorex NetHD Stratus (Ipad and Iphone). I have not been able to look at my cameras for weeks. The technical support is just about as useless. I report the problems and they email some kind of solution that doesn't work . Then they tell me that they DDNS system is down and expect to get 1t back up in a couple of days. After FIVE Days no luck. I'm about to go purchase another system and throw this thing in the garbage where it belongs

Tina Nelson Marshall, MO

We brought our system in February of 2018. We had very little problems with it. And we were very happy with it. Then in July 2019 they did a firmware update which i understand they have to do updates from time to time. But when it messed up our DVR we could no longer see our camera . I called them numerous times. E-mailed them everything they wanted. Jumped through all their hoops and still at the end of September we still have no cameras. Mind you ours was still under warranty to. So i do not recommend this company. Our camera were wireless and they were nice but when you have a problem you get a run around.

DEL @ SCCS Sausalito, CA

Technical Support is a joke and basically non-existing... Two out of 8 cameras provided the following monitor display after 2 months "10.1.1.128 INVALID USER NAME OR PASSWORD" Talked to 5 different technical support people whose primary interest was obtain my basic information and asking me to spell each item!!! Very time consuming... Two offered no advise as I hung up or was dropped after conversing for an hour, 3rd explained I needed to reset the cameras and to do so I needed to remove a screw in the top of the camera and press the RESET button. Both cameras were outdoor units and sealed-no screws. The 4th apologized for the incorrect reset advise and stated I needed to do a hard reset and firmware update. Did a hard reset and lost all cameras-6 eventually came up after 2 hours, other two gave same error message. 5th accessed my case # with 3rd T.S. (4th T.S. could not assign case # as system was down) and plug and unplug both cameras and then advised me to change the password to a 6 digit-numeric only password). In attempting to find where to change the password I came across REMOTE DEVICE/Reconnect IPC. When I selected one of the units -status red and put in my existing password made up of11 character with both letters, numbers and special characters it turned green. Performed the same procedure on the 2nd unit, it also turned green. Continued to monitor display and all 8 units were now displaying. Upon arrival at my office I reset my remote PC view and all 8 cameras are displaying. Your TECHNICAL SUPPORT STAFF needs some serious training!

Turo Jersey City, NJ

Ive been having problems with my lorex system for about a month already and its just been a terrible experience every time i try contacting them. Via online chat: I've been "successful" getting in contact with them 2 out of the 26 attempts. I was transferred to a different department both times and both times they had the same exact trouble shooting that their website shows. Not to mention, both times, the "connection timed out". How very convenient! Via phone: what a joke, 1 success out of 6 attempts. The person hung up on me so i dont know if that even counts as successful. Via email: Finally got a response!!!!(a month later 9/18/19) but it was an automated response with trouble shooting tips listed on their website! then they have the nerve to close my case number in the following email saying my case was resolved!! Its been a pain with Lorex in general considering they have about 50 apps and you don't know which one to use. i dont know what's happening now but I'm guessing they're intentionally trying to go bankrupt or have a class action lawsuit filed against them. Once i received those emails from Lorex I ended up just getting new cameras from Best buy. Switched to swann, such an easy setup! goodbye Lorex!!