Progressive Logo

6.6

LAST UPDATED: February 2nd, 2023

Well-known for its commercials, Progressive is a helpful tool for finding home insurance quotes. It also offers common discounts for the industry that can help lower your insurance cost, despite not mentioning a claims-free discount.

Beyond discounts, policyholders can benefit from Progressive's contractor network, which can make it easier to find someone to repair damage to your home.

While Progressive has many positive characteristics, there is limited customer insight and whether its high financial strength ratings apply to home insurance policies is unclear.

Read Progressive Homeowners Insurance Reviews

The Good

• Online Quote Comparison
  • Helpful Savings Opportunities
  • Educational Information

Online Quote Comparison

Progressive makes it easy to compare policies from multiple insurers through its HomeQuote Explorer® tool. Once you submit the necessary information, you'll be able to view homeowners policy options and compare coverage offered alongside insurance premium rates.

This tool makes it easier to find a coverage option that meets your needs and fits your budget.

Helpful Savings Opportunities

Progressive offers many ways to save with discounts and helpful features. Progressive offers discounts on the premium for getting a quote in advance, home safety features, buying a new home, paying the 12-month policy at once, going paperless, and new construction on your home.

These discount offerings are common for a homeowners insurance company. However, other insurers offer discounts for being claims-free for a certain amount of time, and Progressive's list doesn't mention a similar discount.

In addition to the above discounts, Progressive also offers a discount for bundling home and car insurance.

Another advantage of bundling is that if you file a claim that applies to both policies, you only have to pay one deductible. This feature helps you save money on out-of-pocket costs when you use your policy.

Progressive also recommends contractors in the event of a claim. In some cases, using these recommended contractors can help you get better prices for repairs.

Educational Information

Progressive offers helpful information on its site about home insurance including different types of coverage and which perils are covered. You can also get information on the details necessary for viewing quotes on insurance rates.

The Bad

• Insufficient Customer Insight
  • Unclear Financial Strength
  • Limited Discounts

Insufficient Customer Insight

Progressive home insurance reviews are few on BestCompany.com, so conclusions about the customer experience are limited. However, it's promising that reviews are largely positive.

Unclear Financial Strength

High financial strength ratings show that an insurance provider is financially stable and likely to be able to meet its claims obligations. Progressive mentions its high financial strength ratings for auto insurance, but it's uncertain whether these high ratings would apply to its home insurance policies.

Even if you buy home insurance from another carrier, you'll want to double check the financial strength ratings before making a purchase.

Limited Discounts

Progressive offers many savings opportunities on home insurance coverage. However, many home insurance companies offer claims-free discounts for policyholders. Progressive's website doesn't mention this discount. If you're interested in receiving this kind of discount, you may need to consider another home insurance company.

The Bottom Line

A Progressive home insurance policy is worth investigating further, particularly if you have a Progressive auto insurance policy. The bundling discount and the ability to only pay one deductible if you make a claim that applies to both policies are advantageous.

If you're looking for the best deal, you can benefit from Progressive's HomeQuote Explorer tool that makes it easy to compare insurance coverage and pricing.

Before you purchase a homeowners insurance policy through Progressive or another insurer, check the financial strength ratings to ensure you're choosing a reliable company.

gar greiner Colorado Springs, CO

My insurance company here in Colorado kept raising my rate for no reason.so I switched to progressive and got a affordable rate.we have no tickets and no accidents and also did the snapshot and have a great affordable rate.i wish I changed to progressive sooner. It's great. Thank,G.B.Greiner

14 hours ago

China Mike Clinton, ME

I love this company. They've saved me a lot of money. I have had geico before them and they started me off the great price and then slowly but slowly raised it even though my driving record got better and better and better and they charge me more and more and more so I switched the progressive and I saved a lot of money and hopefully I'll save more. Thank you. Keep up the good hard work. Thanks for being there when I needed you to help lower my finances and made it more affordable for me to drive knowing that I'm fully protected and that you will always have my back. Thank you progressive and your little gecko too!

Margaret James LA

Very valuable insurance to have and the cost will meet the needs of what you can expect to pay. The options they offer can create a long history of patronage. You can rest assure the value is hard to beat anywhere else you go.

Kerissa Erickson Kendallville, IN

We have used progressive for years even before we had home owners insurance. Progressive made it super easy to wrap our homeowners insurance into our current plan we couldn't be happier with them!!!

Gabe Dominiczak

I use progressive for multiple vehicles as well as homeowners ins. Best values out there. Their customer service and filing a claim is also seamless, as it can be stressful after an unfortunate event.

Bernadette Baker Cassville, NJ

I have been a Progressives policy holder for more than 10 years. I added home policy 2 years ago. I am very impressed. They offer a multi policy discount, discounts for each year you're with the company and they allow you to build your policies. I trust Progressive and will continue to be a loyal customer.

Ed

I cannot say a bad word about Progressive. They consistently live up to my high expectations~E

1 day ago

Bionic Raptor San Luis Obispo, CA

Website is a disaster, can’t ever find me as a customer when I try and log in. Will let me pay the bill without logging in but not after I log in. Always polite on the phone but can’t fix anything when it comes to billing problems.

Bridget Walker Gulfport, MS

Progressive Home Insurance is very cheap and totally reliable if it comes to having to pay out a claim. I had the when Hurricane Katrina came and it paid to replace everything we had lost. I don't know what I would have done with out them. Two thumbs up!!!

Monique Snow Sterling, CT

I initially loved the fact that my rate was very affordable. However, year 2 came and the rate went way up. I have never had to file a claim. I keep the company just for the convenience of it. My auto policies are also with progressive, so I get a multi policy discount.

Tara Gillispie Hurricane, WV

Progressive is a top insurance provider that is hard to beat. I switched to progressive because of the prices. They were so much cheaper than everywhere else.

Mary Lou Scott Spring, TX

I new to this company. I had to canceled another company because the price began unaffordable. They are less and I call customer service and had no problem talking to a representative.

Jake Kantor San Antonio, TX

Progressive seems pretty good so far. I hadn't had to make a claim, so who they heck knows for sure. But their rates are reasonable and their customer service reps are nice and competent. So far I'd recommend them.

Michael Ard Albany, KY

Progressive is my insurance company at the present. I have enjoyed the service and the discounts and found Progressive to be the best value in auto insurance for myself at the present time. However, their rates are increasing despite the fact that I have made no claims.

Dwayne Holland

The reason I decided to write my review on progressive is because these folks that work there treated me very respectful and really cared about my home being insured to the limit. My agent called me after a tornado and through close to us making sure we was alright. I would recommend them. Thanks

Erinmarie Xian Brandon, FL

When I had an apartment I used progressive for rental home insurance. It helped cover all my music gear and stuff that the apartment complex would not have been liable for had there been a problem. It was an invaluable tool and relatively inexpensive for the peace of mind. A representative was able to help me determine the level of coverage I needed based on what I was trying to protect and it was a pretty easy process. I would go with progressive again

Jonathan Heng Las Vegas, NV

Their pricing for homeowners insurance is a little high. I haven’t had to make a claim with them so far but from bundling the car insurance with their home insurance, my car insurance ended up dropping to about half of what I was paying with farmers insurance. The home insurance was higher but the car insurance got dropped far enough with the same coverage that I ended up saving money either way

Michelle Camara Dallas, TX

I've been very pleased with Progressive. Their prices are good and their customer care is excellent! Going to stay with them.

MJ Cleveland, OH

Excellent customer service. Great discounts that I didn't know existed. After shoping around they had the lowest policy premiums. You can do everything from your computer.

Sean Zernickow Monument, CO

Great rates on insurance. We had them for auto and renters insurance. Appreciate the flexibility they have. Appreciate the relationship with them just moved from renting a home to owning, and their cost on homeowners insurance did not align with our objectives!

Ryan Vett Mesa, AZ

I have my car insurance through progressive so I though it would be great to bundle my renters insurance with them, however it ended up being quite a bit more expensive than other options. The coverage offered was great but too pricey for me.

scotty Inver Grove Heights, MN

Their website portal is very easy to maneuver and create a claim. It's pretty easy to submit a claim very easy to check on your claims and it's very easy to get a hold of someone customer service . I'm actually in the process now of going through a claim for theft at the house and processes very smooth and hopefully I should have everything resolved shortly Thanks to progressive

Abi Dallas, TX

I had progressive in the past, for my auto and renters insurance. It was a great experience with them, however the prices increased so I had to switch to another insurance company.. I will definitely go back if the rates are competitive at my renewal.

Fernando Chicago, IL

When I was shopping around for home ins, the representative answered all of my questions. She didn’t act irritated, if she didn’t know the answer she found it for me. They were able to cover my home and put my mind at ease.

Bea ThaTruth San Antonio, TX

Progressive always gots your back. The automated system is always up and running.

Leon Phoenix, AZ

Local agent that can be contacted quickly. Good communication with the company via phone. Quickly respond to your questions.

Crystal Connell Denver, CO

I worked with an insurance agent that I used for years but when I looked into my policy there was things on it that I had not asked for. I went through a very hard battle recovering what was due back to me

ms ray Detroit, MI

Progressive is not only my renter insurance provider, but they are also my auto insurance provider. With this I saved on my auto insurance as well as my renter insurance.

Henry Lebensbaum Andover, MA

i have all my insurance with this company. Customer service is very good. The prices are less than some others, like Omaha's. Keeping in contact with me is not as good as i would like that caused my umbrella to lapse. i am generally satified,

DealStar South Jordan, UT

My experience with Progressive was not good. First, as a paying customer, they continuously tried to upsell and had terrible customer service to the point where I canceled my policy and went elsewhere. Second, when a young Progressive insured motorist pulled out into traffic and "T-boned" me, their agent was HORRIBLE. He not only dropped the ball by going on vacation and not having anyone fill in while he was gone, when he did finally make contact, he was BEYOND RUDE. You'll see a LOT of advertising for Progressive, using big name actors like Jon Hamm, but you'll never see me again on their list of satisfied customers.

Samarra Miller St. Petersburg, FL

I've had progressive for a couple of years and they have been good . When it's time for me to renew their always sending me a head notice letting me know it's about that time. Good service

Thomas Brackeen Jr Waldorf, MD

Progressive has been easy to mangy as it pertains to my home insurance. It also helps that I can bundle it with my car insurance policies. I am pleased so far with the policy.

Mandy Pesce West Long Branch, NJ

We love that we were able to bundle our auto policy and home insurance when we bought our house! It was a seamless addition to our needed coverage and the Progressive representatives walked us through the process effortlessly.

hemant mahidhara Metuchen, NJ

We have used Progressive for our home insurance for the past 10 years. We did the auto + home bundle to get a better price. Progressive has been great so far. They helped us get the repairs done quickly after hurricane Sandy caused some damage to our house. They were very prompt with the claim and sent the check immediately. They also recommended contractors to do the repairs. Worked out pretty well.

Michael McBride Chicago, IL

Progressive insurance company is reliable I have always been satisfied with progressive

no sugarcoating Cheshire, CT

overmarketed company with gimmics... quote from them didn't make sense. the 'name your price' makes even less sense as you're sacrificing coverage that you can obtain elsewhere at the same price and without jumping through hoops. I did not have a pleasant experience with them when I was shopping around and never got past that stage. sorry Flo!

Gaju Shrestha Provo, UT

I have been progressI've member for about 2 year. The rate was very competitive with many benefits. I recommed this compan

Thomas Weaver Indianapolis, IN

Very good insurance and cheap and easy to make payments to

charles shaw Naples, FL

Very reasonable rates but had to switch because they don’t cover solar panels from wind damage or lanai’s in Florida

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

I've used Progressive in the past and I feel like their rates are fair and the customer service team was always helpful.

Christina Holmes Kalamazoo, MI

Progressive was cost efficient and customer service did their best to maintain a lasting relationship. They often touched base with me when I considered switching but never pushy. Filing claims was seamless.

Sideeq H. Muhammad Cincinnati, OH

I don't like their offers but they don't seem very passionate

Rose Mary O El Paso, TX

Good value! Responsive customer service.

Scott Young Boston, MA

Easily obtain insurance with a few keystrokes on your phone. Proof insurance on your phone within minutes.

Richard Pollock Chicago, IL

Coverage is great. They’ll use NatGen as the provider but they have full replacement cost language that’s been hard to find in other policies.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

Progressive home insurance was a phenomenal choice for my family. The on call services were awesome and prices were awesome!!!

Bassem lasheen Torrance, CA

Easy to finish everything you need online without getting an agent involved

George Fuller Tacoma, WA

Great coverage at a resonable price. Deductible is just right for the level of coverage we choose. No complaints.

Life of Frog South Bend, IN

Very friendly customer service reps, great value your money

Mike Turner

Quick to respond to any incidents. Price is wonderful