Oscar

7.2

Rocky Young ,

Do not be fooled by this company. LOOK at their reviews!! Horrible horrible insurance I’m now paying self pay to see a doctor because OSCAR care is communicating with me with just questions no answers. They just keep shuffling. If I have to explain to some online person my health issues AGAIN only to be asked again and again. I made a major mistake choosing this insurance and now I’m deeply regretting it. Sincerely and honestly Christine Young

Reply from Oscar

Hi Christine, we are sorry to hear about this experience! We would like to learn more to get you the answers you need. Please keep an eye on your inbox for a message from our team.

Mar. 30th, 2021

Nina Los Angeles, CA

Horrible!!! They kept changing my monthly payments refused to pay blood test than 1 day told me I had 400 credit on my account and dont have to pay my monthly payment only to find out now year later they accused me of nonpayment - never notified me and now I cant get my tax form. They are bunch of unprofessional smucks, their online account saya Ipaid 1 month and another page says unsettled for same month???? How in the hell??? Unreal

Reply from Oscar

Hi Nina, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our team would like to learn more about your experience to see what may have occurred. Please check your inbox as one of our team members has followed up to learn more.

Brad Copithorne Swannanoa, NC

I signed up for Oscar in North Carolina, but have had a horrendous experience. I use Bofa's billpay system to pay my monthly premium. They credited my account for the first payment but cashed the checks for the next two but did not credit my account. They demanded that I act as middleman to resolve their back office mistake and when I could not get this done by their deadline, they cancelled my insurance and blamed me for the problem. Do not use this company under any circumstances. They are trying to expand before they get their back office systems ready for prime time.

Reply from Oscar

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Brad. We apologize for this experience. Please know that one of our team members has sent you a private message to learn more.

LM Red Bank, NJ

A prescription that we take daily (generic) was raised from a Tier 1 ($25 copay) to a Tier 3 without explanation or notice. Imagine our surprise when the pharmacy asked for $150 instead of $25. Oscar has no explanation for this change. There is no cheaper substitute since the drug is already a generic. We checked the cost on this drug before we signed up for the plan in October. If we had know they would simply switch the tier in January, we would not have signed up for this plan. Bait and switch?

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, we are sorry to hear about this experience. Please check your inbox for a message from one of our team members who would be happy to provide additional assistance.

Angie Brooklyn, NY

Stay away from this awful company! Not only are they one of the least accepted insurance companies (none of my doctors accept it) and their plans have exorbitant premiums (even though they tout themselves as being affordable) but their C-level execs are hypocrites as well. Their chief policy & strategy officer is a board member for JUUL Labs, the infamous company responsible for cigarette ads targeting teenagers. How can you trust a HEALTH company with leadership such as that? Read the September 20 NY Times article written about JUUL.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Angie, we are sorry to hear this. A team member will follow up with you over direct message so that we may learn more about your experience with Oscar.

Jan. 28th, 2021

pb Denver, CO

The only real bright sides are that their tech is great and their support is good. They’ve currently rejected 2/2 Covid tests I’ve gotten (which they claim they will pay for, but so far nothing). Rejecting arguably the most essential service in 2020, when you claim to support it in and out of network is an unbelievably frustrating experience, and I’ll be getting off any Oscar insurance ASAP

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, we appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and apologize for the experience. Please check your inbox as one of our team members has followed up with you to learn more.

Jan. 12th, 2021

Monika Kruemmling Glenside, PA

They have good marketing and terrible insurance. They don't cover much, and what they do cover, they try to weasel out of covering. We found an urgent care through their website last Spring and went to them. Oscar, many months later bounced the UC's request for payment saying they are out of network. And now we have to deal with a $900 bill for a simple swab test. Don't sign up for this insurance; go find someone with a track record.

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, we want to apologize for the frustration this experience has caused. Please check your inbox for a new message from one of our team members.

Nov. 24th, 2020

nmknyc New York, NY

Ive had it for 3 years and I am a healthy woman in my 40's who rarely even uses the policy at all. The first year they increased my policy by OVER 200 per month and then I had to lower my policy benefit in order to remain paying the same price, (pay more get less) Then I just got another notice that if I want to continue to keep the policy that I will have to pay an ADDITIONAL $150 per month, when I called the OBNOXIOUS rep said "well you dont have to keep it" STELLAR support

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, we want to apologize for your experience. Please know that our team will follow up with you via DM for more information.

Oct. 16th, 2020

Oscar lack of caring Georgetown, TX

Oscar is the worst insurance If you want to get your blood pressure check or something simple it may be ok. But if you get serious I’ll they are terrible. They don’t have enough doctors. The wait times are ridiculous to see a doctor. And a lot of doctors are Sub par doctors. You have to wait ridiculous times for to get approval. They pay doctors very low prices and most all doctors do not like them for that. Which most likely want give you the care you need.

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, thank you for writing to us. We take your feedback seriously and would like to follow up with you to learn more. Please find a message from our team in your inbox.

Sep. 14th, 2020

Thesetroubledtimesofcourse Fullerton, CA

If I could give zero stars I would, This company was co-founded by Joshua K, Jared K's brother. Jared Kushner is related by marriage to Trump. This is a connection between two very corrupt families and it shows in this health plan. This company has LIED to me multiple times. They boast about their technology but Sears and JC Penney have better websites than this company! You MUST not choose this health plan. Starve them out of business.

Reply from Oscar

Hi there, we apologize for any frustration you have experienced. If you have any remaining questions or outstanding issues, our team would be happy to help. Just send us a direct message with your Oscar ID number to get started.

Aug. 7th, 2020

W. Brooklyn, NY

I love their concierge staff and the staff at their Jay Street medical center in Brooklyn. I am very unhappy with their high rates and high deductibles at the same time. For that reason I will look for more affordable health insurance come this fall.

Reply from Oscar

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We understand that keeping costs low is important to our members. Our plan design team is always looking for ways to bring reduced health care services to you. If you have any remaining questions, our team would be happy to help. Just send us a direct message with your Oscar ID number and any questions you have to get started.

Jun. 22nd, 2020

Roy Avila Leander, TX

Questions about charges from doctors take to long to get taken care of, if they do get taken care of. I paid some doctor bills I think I shouldn’t have because my out of pocket was met.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Roy, we apologize for the frustration this experience has caused. Our team has followed up with you over direct message so that we may learn more. Please check your inbox for a message from us.

JP West Hollywood, CA

I don’t like how my costs skyrocket and my benefits shrunk to basically nothing unless I spend $7500 out of pocket. So it’s basically not helpful and only catastrophic insurance, not HEALTH insurance. Not thrilled at all.

Reply from Oscar

Hi JP, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We understand that keeping costs low is important to our members. Our plan design team is always looking for ways to bring reduced health care services to you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to further assist.

Daniel Rasmussen Irvine, CA

I have appreciated the access to doctors online, the incentive to meet step goals, and having the app on my smart phone.

Reply from Oscar

Thank you for your kind words, Daniel! We're happy to have you as part of our Oscar family.

Keith McCormish Columbus, OH

Oscar health makes it easy to connect with a primary care provider. They offer really great healthcare through the app, too!

Reply from Oscar

Glad to have you as part of our Oscar family, Keith!

Chad Miller Smyrna, GA

Horrible. I've been fighting to get them to cover my monthly prescription all year now. They apparently have a maximum number of pills per 75 days that they will cover (something not made apparent to me until now) so they're only willing to allow the pharmacist to fill ONE HALF of my prescription this month (I can't even pay the difference). When I pointed out that this information was never provided to me that stated that I bought this over the government market place so it's my own fault. Just another poor health insurance company. What else is new.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Chad, we want to apologize for the frustration this experience has caused. We want to learn more, so our team has followed up with you over direct message. Please check your inbox for a message from us so that we may assist you further.

Apr. 28th, 2020

howard smith Van Nuys, CA

Oscar healthcare is terrible. I need a speech therapist for my child but there is only 1 therapist in-network in all of the San Francisco valley, and I was wait listed. I've been trying to get Oscar to accept an out of network therapist for 2 months, but all they do is ask for more paperwork in the hopes I give up. What's the point of health insurance if you can't use it?!?!

Reply from Oscar

Hi Howard, we are sorry for the frustration this experience has caused. We have provided additional information over direct messages so please be on the look out for a new message from our team.

Mar. 11th, 2020

Rab Moo Brooklyn, NY

This is without a doubt the WORST insurance EVER. If you are considering this company, consider this first. I chose this provider because my doctor was listed as a member doctor on this network...wrong . His office informed me that while they had signed up with Oscar they could not book an appointment using Oscar insurance. I tried to book a specialist using Oscar. Same issue. I called Oscar and the customer service Rep said she would contact the Doctors I had spoken with and call me back. 3 weeks later I am still waiting. I sent Oscar an email. I received a reply 2weeks later saying.

Reply from Oscar

Hello, we are sorry to hear this and have reached out for more information. When you can, please check your new direct message from our team.

Feb. 25th, 2020

Max Delaware, OH

The only way to view claims and deductible for my child is to call them. The information is not provided online....yuck! So far, I am not impressed at all. I have already paid the first premium so I will keep for the year, but I will not be keeping it next year.

Anne Springfield, NJ

I have Oscar this year because it was the least expensive health insurance on Marketplace. I have paid thousands in premiums and they have not covered anything. Now, they are claiming that my Appendectomy was not medically necessary and they are refusing to pay my hospital bill. The only reason I have health insurance is to cover medical emergencies. I have been severely ripped off by this company and plan to tell everyone that I know.

B Los Angeles, CA

I was not a customer. I was a victim of a scam. after paying $1,000s in premiums I went in for an annual physical. The doctor coded it as an office visit and tried charging me $200 (it should have been 100% covered). Oscar colluded with the doctor and refused to work with me to correct the billing error. They claimed the doctor's office was correct without justification and ignored the evidence I provided showing I only received preventative care. This is not a healthcare company, it is organized crime. Do not give this illegitimate organization your money.

LK Brooklyn, NY

I am so pleased with ocar insurance. The office is accessible, the online portal and dr's on call are responsive and eager to help.

Olga Legostayeva Burbank, CA

It was easy to pick the doctor through Oscar app and schedule the appointment. Verdugo Hospital Orthopedic team is great!

Joel Spring Hill, TN

Their network of doctors and hospitals is very limited. There is a good chance you could be driving 30+ miles to visit a doctor. The information on their website is not correct. The list doctors as in network when they actually aren't, and they don't list all the doctors that are in network.

ezequiel Los Angeles, CA

I love Oscar Insurance is really affordable and it has cover all the doctors visits. I have no complains about this insurance.

M Chagrin Falls, OH

I purchased Oscar insurance because I wanted insurance for the Cleveland Clinic. It is expensive. There seems to be some confusion about co-pays. Enrollment was trying but I was persistent and got it done.

Merkin San Antonio, TX

So far, so good. We have used your customer service several times and your in-network doctors. Everything has been fine so far.

Ellie Jones New York, NY

Being able to message or call a doctor through the app eases my mind as I don’t have to go to a clinic just for a simple question.

Lindsey Los Angeles, CA

Getting Oscar was easy, fast and perfect for me. As a single woman who goes to the doctors maybe once, twice a year, it made sense.

T Astoria, NY

When I had trouble getting money back from a doctor’s office, customer service helped me quickly! But I always prefer to go to my native language(Japanese) speaking doctor, but there is no Japanese doctor in the network!

Don Nichols Irvine, CA

I am pleased with Oscar. The premium is affordable and the selection of doctors is okay. I have used the plan only once, for a flu shot, and it worked out very well.

mary Brooklyn, NY

Really unhappy with this company. Have a standard, uncomplicated pregnancy and the policies of this company are completely opaque. What they do and do not cover really not clear. Every time I call the concierge line, they give me different, conflicting info. Seems despite paying $700 monthly premiums, I will be paying somewhere between $7500-$15000 to have this baby as they cover exactly $0 for actual delivery. This is completely unacceptable. Wish I'd read the fine print before signing up for this insurance. It's kind of a total scam.

Anonymous San Antonio, TX

Great sign-up process, customer service, user friendly website and app. However, the app does crash frequently, there are limited plan benefits, and it's expensive compared to Ambetter Health.

Shawn Ouedraogo Blacklick, OH

Affordable price ,beeing able to talk to the doctor online and high quality service.never been happiest.so from my family thanks to Oscar!

Alfred Collazo San Antonio, TX

Great plans, great customer service, and the best plan I’ve ever had. You won’t regret selecting Oscar as your health care provider.

Phil Burne

I had no choice as an individual buying insurance. I Had to choose Oscar if I wanted to use the Cleveland clinic Doctors. The changes for individual insurance have been a crime.

John Steven Anderson Memphis, TN

I suffered a joint injury and needed a doctor in my area (a major metropolitan area). They could not tell me the name of an orthopedic surgeon in my area. They told me it would take up to 48 hours to find one in their network, and that they would get back to me. It is unbelievable that someone with an injury will have to wait up to 2 days to find the name of an in-network doctor.

Reply from Oscar

Hi John, we truly apologize that your Concierge team was unable to tell you the name of an orthopedic surgeon in your area and we would like to look into this for you. Due to privacy laws this isn't something we can help with via Best Company, so DM us your Oscar ID number and we'll be happy to have a help specialist from our team get in touch with you directly. In the future if you’d like to see if a provider is in network, you can use our online search tool to search for providers by plan, location, and speciality. You’ll find the tool on our website or via this link:

May. 2nd, 2019

Anne Austin, TX

The same thing happened to me that happened to Jon in the Jan 24th review below!!! Warning do not do business with this company! In Nov and Dec 2018 I never received notification my bill was ready and when I went to pay my bill, Oscar.com said I had a $1700 credit, then I received a notification in the mail that my claims in November would be denied because my coverage was cancelled for nonpayment. In addition, my husband had surgery in July and the hospital reached out to Oscar several times for a settlement and Oscar did not respond. This company is grossly negligent and incompetent.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Anne, we appreciate your feedback and we’re sorry to hear you ran into billing issues. Please reach out to your care team at 855-OSCAR-55 so they can look into your outstanding requests.

Feb. 13th, 2019

James Nashville, TN

They did an underhanded bait-and-switch with my policy. I signed up for the same plan as last year, but they didn't tell me that the benefits were radically changing. Or if they did tell me it was buried in the very fine print of a 30 page booklet with the smallest text I've ever seen. Now I'm stuck with a plan that will cost me hundreds more every month compared to last year. I complained and they ditched my call by transferring me to the government marketplace. This is awful.

Reply from Oscar

Hi James, we're sorry to hear you're frustrated with your plan. Due to privacy laws this isn't something we can help with via Best Company, but we can speak generally to why you might have been transferred to a government marketplace. When plans are purchased on exchange (aka the government marketplace), you may need to work with them directly to change or resolve issues with your plan. If you did not purchase your plan on the exchange, DM us your Oscar ID number and we'll be happy to have a help specialist look into this further for you.

Jan. 28th, 2019

Nina Pacific Palisades, CA

Oscar Health is the WORST health insurance that I have ever had. My family and I purchased their Platinum and Gold EPO plans and had horrible customer service, non-existent and unbending Mental Health coverage, NO Dental, NO Vision and no-one but UCLA takes their insurance in CA. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Nina, we're sorry to hear you're frustrated. Oscar has a curated network of providers built around provider systems who, like us, are focused on keeping costs down for our members. We currently do not offer dental or vision for adults as part of our plans, and can work with members to find in-network psychiatrists if they're having trouble finding one on their own. We'd love to further address your concerns, so call us at 855-OSCAR-55 to be connected directly to your Concierge team.

Jan. 10th, 2019

Andrew Medina, OH

I wish I could give a negative rating. The coverage is horrible and it seems that their primary goal is to take your premiums and find ways to deny service. I looked on their site for approved doctors, went to one on their list, and the service was denied saying it was out of network. My son had to have a CT scan and we got it pre-approved but they denied paying it because the service, within an approved facility, was not approved. What a joke. Never use Oscar.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Andrew, we're sorry to hear this and we'd like to look into this for you. Due to privacy laws we can't address your claims here, but our team would be happy to go over them with you. You can call us directly at 855-OSCAR-55 or by sending a secure message from your account or the app at anytime. If you prefer, message us your Oscar ID number and someone from our team will be in touch to help. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback, and look forward to helping you out.

Dec. 18th, 2018

Ralph P. Jones San Antonio, TX

Like the call a doc option. All my dealings this year have been easy and relatively painless. Just hope I can afford them next year.

Chris Brunner El Segundo, CA

We have had Oscar for 2 years. Our experience was pretty good, until they raised our plan from $1200 a mo to $1600 and it's going up again. Then, my daughter hurt her shoulder in volleyball and to see an physical therapist ( approved by doctor) has taken us more than a month. They are insane. Stay away and find another provider.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Chris, we’re sorry to hear you’re frustrated. Due to privacy laws, we're unable to discuss the specifics of your daughter's private health information here, but we're happy to address your general concerns. The rising cost of health care is an industry-wide issue. As the cost of doctors, hospitals, and drugs have increased, we have had to increase our premiums slightly. If you have questions about how to find the best care at the best price, reach out to your Concierge Team for support. Note that if a recommended provider is out of network, your team can work with your provider to update the prior authorization with an in network option. We've escalated your message to get this process started for you. If you'd like to speak directly to your Concierge Team don't hesitate to reach out at 855-OSCAR-55.

Nov. 29th, 2018

Gmm El Paso, TX

I believe as a Health Plan it should cover ALL diagnosis not just some. I know people that have Hemophilia A and OSCAR does not cover any factor (medication) or have any doctors that take care of that specialty. It's reasonably priced but what good is it to people that suffer from that diagnosis? I think that if they were to cover that diagnosis they would have a bigger member enrollment.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Gmm, we appreciate that you shared this feedback with us. We do recommend that members reach out to their care team in this situation. Note that our Network Navigator team can assist members if there is an access gap or they cannot find a provider. For medications that are not in our formulary, we can work with your provider to start a prior authorization. If you have additional questions or would like help, call us at 855-OSCAR-55 to be connected directly to your care team.

Nov. 29th, 2018

Galina ONeil San Antonio, TX

The authorizations for pain management procedures are taking too much time. I couldn't keep my appointments because of this.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Galina, we're sorry to hear you're frustrated and we'd like to look into this for you. Due to privacy laws this isn't something we can help with via Best Company, but send us a private message with your Oscar ID number and we'll be happy to have someone from our team get in touch with you to help. If you'd prefer, you can also call us at 855-OSCAR-55 to be connected directly to your Concierge team.

Nov. 12th, 2018

Bob M Cedar Park, TX

Terrible company greedy business model. They have fake paid review trolls all in October to deceive and distort before open enrollment . Read the real reviews throughout the year January until September of their insured getting screwed. Very few doctors accept this insurance combined with sky high premiums and ridiculous copays deductibles and coinsurance. Don’t be fooled

Reply from Oscar

Hi Bob, we're sorry to hear this. DM us your Oscar ID number and we'll be happy to have someone from our team get in touch to further address your concerns.

Nov. 5th, 2018

Katia Wehbe Austin, TX

I like it. The people nice and it helps. It easy and you can understand all the information they put it online and love it thanks,

gwen hall San Antonio, TX

Oscars is a great insurance company so far the best they make it affordable easier to get and pay for medicine visit great keep up the good work

Mark S. Buda, TX

Customer service is by far the best. Working with my concierge team is almost like talking to family. I simply couldn’t ask for better.

Marie Brooklyn, NY

I would NOT recommend. I was excited to try Oscar, but have not had a good experience. They refused to pay any costs associated with my broken arm I got while skiing, because I did not go through the correct emergency room entrance. (The clinic on the ski slope had called ahead to arrange an Operating Room for my emergency surgery - because I wasn't admitted through the ER, Oscar wouldn't pay. ) Despite breaking my arm and needed emergency surgery, Oscar cared more about the billing codes, leaving me with a $20K+ bill. I would NOT recommend.

Reply from Oscar

Hi Marie, thank you for sharing this feedback. Due to privacy laws this isn't something we can help with on Best Company, so we passed your message to your Concierge Team. They've notified us that a supervisor has been assigned to work with you and explain the plan of action. We apologize for the negative experience, and look forward to working with you to resolve it. If you have questions or would like help, call us at 855-OSCAR-55 and you'll be connected directly to your Concierge team.

Oct. 26th, 2018