Cigna Logo

Cigna

7.7

Linda Lewis Woodland Park, CO

I called to ask if work was going to be covered under 2019 or 2020 benefits, and was told it would be under 2020. After the work was done, they refused to cover it, saying it was under 2019 and my benefit had already been used. I went through ALL of their appeals - which, by the way, are all in-house - and they still refused. If you can't trust the information they give you over the phone, then you can't trust them, period.

Lyn Phoenix, AZ

Refused to provide electric wheelchair, because a nurse was able to override Rehab Specialist Doctors evaluation. Said because I didn't have a neurological disease I didn't need it. Cigna doesn't care how disabled I am or how many doctors and PT agree I need it. I am now only able to sit in chair at apt. Can't do anything for myself. Just because Cigna is cheap. Will be changing ins as soon as possible. Putting word out on internet.

Kevin Marquette Valley Center, CA

This is the worst option for health insurance. This company doesn’t care about it’s members. The only thing they care about is their own profits. Doctors and medical directors who work for Cigna are nothing more than corporate crooks. My 4-year old daughter needed a bone marrow transplant a few months ago. Cigna denied covering the procedure. My wife and I appealed their decision as many times as our policy would allow. Cigna still denied covering the procedure. They said it wasn’t medically necessary for our 4-year old daughter to receive this bone marrow transplant. And instead they claimed it was only ‘experimental’ in nature and those types of procedures aren’t covered under our plan. Several of our daughter’s doctors and her primary care pediatrician obviously disagreed with Cigna’s ruling. Every single doctor plus our pediatrician tried to convince Cigna to reverse its denials. But Cigna still didn’t want to hear it. They just kept saying the same thing over and over again: this is not covered because it isn’t medically necessary. And furthermore Cigna did not even supply us with the medical research or data they used to reach that denial decision. That’s why I feel like Cigna just didn’t want to pay for it. And that was really the underlying reason behind their constant denials. Our doctors and pediatrician supplied Cigna with all the medical research they would have needed which shows that our daughter’s bone marrow transplant wasn’t just simply ‘experimental in nature’ like Cigna had claimed. Plus Cigna was supplied with all of our daughter’s medical records proving and showing her underlying medical condition. Cigna still denied covering the procedure. Now as a result of Cigna’s corporate greed and total disregard for our daughter’s health and well-being my wife and I are in medical debt for over $400,000! That is just plain crazy. Even though we’ve already consulted a couple of attorneys regarding this matter that could still take years for us to receive financial remuneration. This is honestly the worst health insurance you could ever buy: either for yourself or your family. Cigna doesn’t care about human life and especially not the life of a sick little 4-year old girl who did nothing wrong in the first place by getting sick. Cigna doesn’t care that it wasn’t our fault or our daughter’s fault that she got sick. All they care about is saving money and increasing their bottom-line corporate profits. Even if that comes at the expense of a 4-year old’s health and life. To Cigna $400,000 apparently appears to be the ‘going rate’ for a child’s health and well-being. Or even for their life. Doesn’t that just make your heart sink?

Monique Valley Center, CA

Hands down, the absolute sleaziest and most spineless unethical insurance company on the entire planet!!! Only sign up for health insurance through Cigna if you have disposable income and don't mind wasting thousands and thousands of dollars on insurance premiums which Cigna will never actually cover services and procedures for once you do need them. All they will do after basically stealing your hard-earned insurance premium dollars is turn around and tell you "no you are not covered." They will fine the tiniest and most insignificant legal loophole in order to accomplish this, not caring for one split second how these same sleazy and dishonest “bait and switch” insurance denial tactics affect your health as a human being. That is exactly how this company makes it record triple digit profits, by lying to and cheating against average consumers like you and me. Thankfully we have review forums such as this one where we can forewarn our fellow consumers of a company’s products and services prior to actually purchasing or using them. I wish I had “done my homework” a little better, prior to purchasing individual healthcare insurance through Cigna. And if I had, then I would have quickly found out about that whole scandal back in December 2007, for example in which Cigna basically denied a lifesaving liver transplant to a 17 year old girl: Nataline S, who eventually died afterwards as a result. (Google her name so you will know what I am referring to.) With Nataline’s case, I felt like Cigna was almost telling her family: “your daughter’s life basically isn’t worth ‘X’ amount of money, so that is why we are not covering your treatment.” Maybe they didn’t use those exact words, but their message was pretty much the same. And I am mentioning all of this, because that is exactly what Cigna has done to me!! I too, required a lifesaving transplant procedure, only mine was for a bone marrow transplant different than Nataline S's liver transplant in 2007. However, Cigna’s response to my transplant was the same which it had been to Nataline’s nearly 13 years earlier: “No this is not covered because it is only ‘experimental in nature’ which your plan does not cover.” So as a result of Cigna's duplicity and sleazy denial tactics, I am now drowning in medical debt to the tune of almost $400,000 which I obviously won't ever be able to repay back in this lifetime!!! Even though I have already contacted a lawyer regarding this, that could take a lot of time for that to wind it's way through the flooded court system. And besides, that’s not really the point I am trying to make here is: we as consumers I feel, almost have an obligation to forewarn our fellow consumers about our unethical and dishonest experiences which we might have had with a particular company. Mine with Cigna’s however, have surpassed that definition of “unethical.” At this point, I’d have to say that I feel like it’s just downright inhumane sleaziness and cold-hearted disregard for quality of human life on their part. Nataline S was just one (of many) examples of that, and mine is yet another. And I’m sure there are probably many more examples out there. But anyways, that’s my review of this company: Cigna. If you are in the market for either group or individual health insurance company, I would STRONGLY suggest that you look elsewhere. This company will be very friendly to you in the beginning, when you are signing up for health insurance and forking over your credit card or checking account numbers to them for automatic payment processing. However, they will turn on you in the blink of an eye when you do actually go to file a claim for the same insurance coverage services which you have paid for all your life, without ever filing a claim. Make your own educated decision as a consumer as to whether or not you would like to purchase any of Cigna insurance products or services. However, based upon my own horrific and nightmarish ordeals of dealing with this insurance company, this is the last insurance on Earth which I would ever recommend to anyone else….. even if it was free!!

Jolanda Johnston

Avoid this insurance company if your life and health depends upon it.... literally!! Cigna denied covering chemotherapy treatment for me despite the fact that I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer several weeks ago. They are claiming that I need to try "less invasive" techniques prior to chemo., but the only reason why I feel they are doing this is because of the cost of the chemo. sessions. Would you believe Cigna had the nerve to suggest that I tried oral cancer medications first, before they would consider approving coverage for my chemo. sessions? I've never heard of anything so ridiculous in my entire life as that, of course chemo. sessions are the most common standard of care.... for someone who has C-A-N-C-E-R!!! Yet Cigna is still trying to find any possible and imaginable way to avoid covering my treatment, even though I have 4 different oncologists on my cancer treatment team who are diagnosing the exact opposite: that my chemo. sessions really are medically necessary. Fortunately, several of my friends and family help me set up a GoFundMe page, so I've been able to raise some money to cover the costs associated with my chemo. treatment sessions so far. The rest of the money for my cancer treatment has unfortunately, had to be taken out of my 3 kids' college funds - money we set aside so they could have that benefit of attending college. Yet now, everything is all up in smoke....all our dreams of early retirement, of financing our kids' college tuition, of paying off our mortgage early - and all because our insurance company, Cigna refuses to stand by their morals and do the right thing. How can an insurance company act so callous, so cold and without regard for human life? I just don't understand how the people working for this organization can even sleep at night, being as unethical as they are? If no other positive or good comes out of my situation, then at least hopefully prospective insureds considering insurance coverage through Cigna will find themselves well-informed, and able to make an educated decision on their healthcare needs. Trust me though, when I tell you that this company: Cigna is definitely NOT "in the business of caring" about you or your health..... they sure weren't about mine! And also believe me that Cigna is also NOT "together all the way" with you as their member. None of those cheezey, phony mottoes in my opinion, amount to anything more than cliched rhetoric. This insurance company Cigna is the absolute worst of the worst. Based upon so many of my horrific experiences dealing with this atrocity of a so-called "caring and compassionate" insurance company, this is actually the last insurance company on planet Earth that I would even insure a stray dog with!!

Danilo Charlotte, NC

Cigna Health Insurance is the worst I ever had in all my life! I use to have Cigna Internacional Heath Insurance, actually the best plan, the more expensive. I never needed to use this plan, but once I needed. I start feeling some burning in my stomach and then I visited a gastro and he asked me to have an endoscopy done. I had the exam done and after that Cigna just canceled everything about my gastro and didn't even wanted to pay my endoscopy and believe me, not even the visit in the gastro. My sister use to have the same insurance and she passed through the same thing but another exam. Cigna is an excellent receiving money, but when someone need them, they just run away. They are not a honest Company! Cigna is untrustable!

Wilmaris Ashburn, VA

Can I give zero stars? Runaway from this insurer. It's the worse medical plan you can find. They won't cover anything but happy to take the Government and your money. The only services they cover are preventative. Everything else you have to pay all until you pay them the deductibles which are so high, you never will on a year. I have to pay for all my doctor's visit and forced to take medicines with high risk to my health because they won't cover it and the only one I can afford monthly creates a higher risk for me to develop cancer. They don't care about your health, they only care about their business. Can't wait to finish my contract with this company. Before I was with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and they were covering all, except the regular deductibles which they count for the amount I have to pay to complete my deductible yearly amount. Can't imagine a company worse than Cigna. Do yourself a favor, run away​ from this company.

Sennelier999 St Louis, MO

RUN FROM CIGNA. The worst health insurance company I've EVER had. I received claims for other people MULTIPLE TIMES from all across the country (HIPAA?). They said it must just be that I have a common name. I've NEVER been mixed up with another human by an insurance company in my life before, or after, them. They filed almost every claim with errors. I have one office visit with like eight different EOBs populated for it because they don't have a clue what they're doing. It's still that way to this very day despite being on the phone for hours of my life trying to get them to straighten it out. They blame it on the provider. When I call the providers they say Cigna is just like that. I've never had this happen with any other insurance company before, or after, Cigna. They were what my employer provided for three years. I switched jobs in part to escape this HORRIBLE company. Guess what? They changed the status of a claim from TEN MONTHS earlier, processing it so I owed money...after I had already quit, literally moved on, and discontinued services with Cigna. I received no email or letter from them about the change in status of the claim. I finally logged back into my Cigna account because of another issue that came up and realized six months after-the-fact what they had done.The bill was already in collections by the time I found out I even owed anything. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF AND CHOOSE AETNA INSTEAD.

Brandon Baltimore, MD

I’ve been experiencing sciatic pain for about +3 months I’ve have been trying a variety of medication and seeing a physical therapist and is unable to work because of the sciatic pain. My job requires me to be on my feet and I can’t constantly be standing and running around. I already did a x ray which didn’t show anything I was recommended to do a mri by my physical therapist. I went to my primary care doctor requested a MRI which he orders so I went to the radiologist and make a appointment which was postponed and later canceled because Cigna never approved my MRI(just requested additional info). After researching online I found out it’s common for Cigna to deny people’s MRIs even if it’s urgent for someone to get a MRI. I been dealing with this pain for 3 months and unable to make a living and to this day I don’t even know what’s causing my sciatic pain cause these crooks are afraid they may find something that would cost them money. Health insurance companies prey on the vulnerable and one day these health insurance companies will get what’s coming for them! Single Payer all the way!

Julie Billerica, MA

I have Cigna through my husbands employer and have had it for only 4 weeks now. I had to get Prior Authorization for 2 of my medications and within minutes of them receiving tIhe completed forms from my doctors Denied the medications. One of the medications is Insulin. Cigna has no idea about my medical history and they are denying an insulin that is working for me. They told my doctor that I needed to switch to a different insulin that they are saying I have to use. Cigna IS NOT my doctor. Who are they to make medical decisions for people?? Switching to a different insulin is not that easy. The number of units to take needs to be figured out and that takes months and you have to go through the A1C testing and other things. They denied another medication and said that I had to go on a medication that has at least 26 side effects. And required prior authorization for the medication they said I had to go on. I don't want to be on a medication that has that many side effects (would anyone else)?? I have done a bunch of research on the medication and it scares the crap out of me. It is obvious that money is their number one priority and not the customer. This whole thing is stressing my out, causing severe headaches and is depressing me. I want to know what gives them the right to make medical decisions for people they don't know?? They are not my doctor(s). What gives them the right to play god with peoples lives???? I am still waiting for a call back from Daniella in the Pharmacy Department, but I'm not holding my breath. If this crap continues I will be contacting my attorney.

Sladan Orlando, FL

This is the worst health insurance which i ever dealt with. They offered a policy for my father without any restrictions. They charged us three months of the policy term, my father recently just went to a doctor where just a few days ago he's been diagnosed with cancer. Cigna automatically declined our claim stating that he did have a pre condition, what is totally absurd and not true. Furthermore in order to verify that my father didn't have any medical issues whatsoever prior starting his policy with them they asked me to prove that with his medical records 5 years backwards, i went ahead and provided them with medical record since December 2005. Today is 04/07/2019. After couple days of their " due diligence" i am receiving an email that they are canceling his policy completely, when i asked them why? their agent told me that is the decision of his medical team from Cigna even though they didn't find anything about prior illnesses from my dad since he didn't have any. I am extremely disappointed with this Company, whenever it comes to that they need to charge Your card for the policy there is no delays whatsoever which I would be fine with that if they providing what they said they will, but when it comes that they need to pay something for You in return well that's when the issues are starting. I don't understand what's the purpose of having an health insurance on a first place if You will end up paying everything from Your pocket again anyway. I am escalating entire case to my attorney, because this company should be out of business completely!!!

Mrs. R Red Oak, TX

I have been with Cigna 7 years. They were a great insurance to have. 2019 has been the worse experience ever. My husband fell and ripped his rotator cuff. They would not pay for MRI (said he needed 6 weeks of therapy) now if he would have done pt it would have caused more damage. Then the surgeon said he needed surgery. CIGNS DENIED that claim and said they needed to see MRI. ok how do we send images to you? The dr. Office asked, they(Cigna) replied: WE DO NOT KNOW! REALLY. THIS is sad. Any then the money we have had to pay upfront now bc dr. Offices do not trust cigna yo pay. This company has had a good run but time is up. Do not get this insurance Aetna is even better than this.

Dawn Brooks Millville, NJ

Short term disability is a joke Been 4 weeks they still haven't sent the correct forms to the correct doctors I'm getting the run around and my doctor is so confused he doesn't understand the paperwork they are sending him, the mental health questions are a joke they are actually trying to nay say a doctor evaluation who I have gone to for 20 years for same problem, I can not get my own case worker on the phone I keep getting other so called associated people who say all sorts of conflicting statements I actually had one guy tell me they don't approve mental health claims easily because you can't actually see it like you can a broken leg, what??? Are you serious omg how rude. I'm still waiting game fir my case worker to call me after 3 weeks I doubt I'm going to get paid. So nothing like being depressed and stressed and them adding to my condition. They should be held accountable for their incompetence

Rick Manchester, CT

What a horrible experience when you're sick! I have been dealing with Cigna for several years now and each time I talk to an associate, I get wrong, conflicting, and inappropriate information from them regarding claims and coverage. I am shocked at the number of times I have had to explain to my Cigna associate how my deductible works because they are giving me inaccurate information. This includes giving my healthcare provider figures like $4000.00 instead of $400.00 left to meet my deductible. I frequently get disconnected when I am on hold waiting for a supervisor and I am often transferred to wrong departments. I seldom get return calls when I have requested them and I never have gotten satisfaction with the numerous problems I have with coverage. If I had a choice, I would drop this awful insurance company in a minute. You win again, Cigna. You got my insurance premiums (+/- $14000.00 annually) and you got out of paying bills . Shameful!

Mara Eureka, IL

I have had nothing but a horrible experience with Cigna. They’re a mess. I was passed around to three people, one of whom being the lead for their short term disability department. The first person i dealt with didn’t even investigate, and their lead admitted it before passing me off without communication to someone else. My appeal (which occurred due to the first person not doing anything, so if you get Rahim, run.) was then drug our weeks with little to no communication, and now I have an address change that’s been on file and they’re still refusing to send it to my actual address?? Not to mention the complete inadequacy in regards to mental health. Their entire front of being cohesive and open is a joke. I have never had to deal with more inconsiderate and biased people in my ENTIRE life. The only decent person was someone in their call center, who I spoke to to file the first complaint. They will weasel their way out of helping anyone, and focus on the one fine print, neglecting doctor testimonials and even the exact issue at hand. It is disgusting and immoral. Cigna is a waste of money, and an absolute mess. They sent at least ten half faxes to one of my doctors, who was completely confused because it was the exact same thing she had already sent in. Disorganized, i’ll-equipped, and pathetic. Do not waste your time or money.

Lila

Very unfriendly process to get reimbursed and unprofessional people. Everything is made to discourage you. When you call the number indicated you have directly the voice mail and of course they never call you back. And when finally you manage to create a claim after 2 hours of persistance to comply with all their criteria, they just remove simply your claim the day after. On top of that they ask a million documents to send by scan but the download size is limited to maximum 2 documents! I wish I had ead the review before subscribing. As it was offered by my company,I thought it was a serious and professional insurance. Obviously they are not: almost 200 review and average is 1 star! (less is technically impossible unfortunately)

Danyela Olivares Delray Beach, FL

The worst insurance company I ever seen. I am giving a 1 start because I can not give a 0. I have an ear infection and I called customer service to get an advice on where to go, they assured me than MD now can resolve my problem, I ask I do not want to go to MD now and pay $75 for them to say we can not resolve your problem here, then the customer service representative told me they sure will resolve your problem and guess what? They did not, they told me that I need to go to an Specialist to drain my ear, that is exactly I was trying to avoid and because of Cigna guarantee me MD now will resolve my problem, I went there. I will definitely cancel this insurance where the customer service is a useless

Sally hughes Chicago, IL

They, whoever They are, at Cigna denied an anti seizure medication for my 81 year old husband. He’s been on it since his first and only seizure. It works. It’s been suggested he try a less costly drug. Anyone who’s witnessed a grand mal seizure can understand our reluctance to play Russian roulette with an unproven drug. World class medicine gave my husband his life back only to be threatened again by a bean counter at Cigna. I’ve spent three hours on the phone, to date, neurology nurse spent a couple of hours dealing with Cigna, Cigna staff spent at least five hours on same. Total cost of person hours would have paid for the right drug. Stupid

Amanda Schaumburg, IL

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER- Their customer service is non-existant. I quit smoking back in December- completed their smoking cessation program (which entailed some guy talking to me about how he brushes his teeth?!?) and am STILL getting charged for being a smoker because they cannot figure out how to send information to my benefits team. I have talked to over 15 people, supervisors, etc. No one returns calls except to tell me they need 10 more business days to look into this. They were the once I completed the program with! What is so confusing about this process? I am already out an additional $300 because of their incompetene. I hate their company with a passion and hope their go bankrupt.

Lee Weston, MA

RUN, don't walk, to another company. They are horrible to deal with. They deny, deny, deny with their pre-certification procedures, regardless of medical necessity and their own written guidelines that you can read on the eviCore website. Their only interest is in taking your premiums and making as much profit as possible for the CEO and top execs. Paying for insurance without the BENEFIT of proper insurance is not what paying for insurance is supposed to be about. Look online at the lawsuits that have been filed against them for scamming customers, overcharging them for prescription kickbacks, overcharging them for co-pays, etc. They have some of the highest rates of denials and complaints and overturned appeals for a reason. Employers are using them because they are cheap for employers. Employees are getting screwed with this horrible insurance. If you can afford another option, buy it or get a wrap-around plan. Cigna won't cover your needs if you need something other than routine care or have a medical crisis. And they can make your life much, much more stressful and financially devastating at the same time.

Tracy R. Winston-Salem, NC

The claims processors keep putting one of our doctors as out of network even though they are in network! Takes way too long to correct these problems. I'm on MyCigna daily to see if they actually processed a claim correct or not. Majority of the time they screw up the claims. Some customer service reps are rude and don't really care. Other are helpful but can't fix Cigna's errors and they have to send it -back to get reprocessed again which will take 7-10 days and up to 21 days. To get a refund from them is ridiculous and they try everything to keep your money. When they overpay you, they want it back NOW!!! We have a case manager, left emails and phone calls and have not heard back from her. Not surprised.

Angela Newton Canton, OH

I have spent more time trying to get them to issue my refund check then it is even worth. They are suppose to send a check for $312.38!! That's it....not a big number. They keep reprocessing the codes and randomly come up with different amounts. It has been over the year since the service and everytime I call "well, that's not right. I will have them send it back to claims to reprocess" EVERYTIME! I just sat on hold for 45 minutes to hang up and come to the conclusion I have spend more than $312 on the phone waiting while I could be doing other, more productive things. Such as writing a review saying if you have a choice DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON CIGNA! Makes me wonder how many other claims they are " incorrectly processing to save money.

McKenzie Sheldon Palmyra, NJ

Cigna has been the worst for claims. I submitted medical expenses to get reimbursed three months ago and still have not received anything. I used to have Horizon Blue Cross and they would take a maximum of two weeks to let me know that I would see the funds in my account within the next 5 business days. Meanwhile everytime I call Cigna for an update, not only is it a headache to talk to the representatives, but it seems like nothing has even been started with my claims and they continuously tell me to wait another week. I cannot wait to switch health care companies. Even if I have to pay more, I will at least know I will get better service.

Mary Moseberth Fort Wayne, IN

As a diabetic it has taken months to be stabilized on my current insulin. Switching from Aetna to Cigna, they decided they wouldn't cover the only one we have found the lowers my sugar. They will only pay for four types that my doctor never prescribes due to the lack of success in stabilizing patients sugar levels. Glad that some paper pusher knows more a out what will work for my health conditions, than my own physician. Also, hate that you are forced into 90 day supplies of meds. It has yet to save me money. In fact it prohibited me from using savings cards given by the drug makers. Cigna doesn't care about their subscribers, they just care about providing the cheapest care with the highest premium.

Aaron Robertson Houston, TX

Cigna insurance is garbage and they don't care about their members. In short, I have a torn spinal disc on which I was supposed to have surgery about 2 months ago. Cigna denied my surgery, and my experience since then with Cigna in trying to resolve this has been utterly awful. Cigna decided that my surgery was not medically necessary because I hadn’t seen a psychiatrist, which is absurd. 2 MRI’s and other diagnostic procedures clearly indicate a torn L5-S1 disc as the source of pain. The issue with my spine is quite obviously mechanical, and so the requirement to see a psychiatrist was a complete waste of my time and money, and kept me in pain needlessly. But I went ahead and saw the psychiatrist anyway, figuring it was the fastest way to get approval. After Cigna lost the records my doctor sent over multiple times, I was finally able to get them to confirm they had what they needed. At this time, I was told they would reach a decision in 5 business days. After a week, I called to find my case was not even under review. Then, I was given a new promise of a decision within 72 hours. After that time elapsed, I was told that no decision had been made and they couldn’t even tell me why. After several more calls and more conflicting answers, I'm now being told that I’ll have to wait 30 days. No one at Cigna seems to have any clue what is going on with my case, and they just give me false or conflicting information. Cigna "Customer Service" is a complete nightmare. They have given me false information over and over, and refuse to take any responsibility for it. I satisfied their requirements for this surgery over a month ago, and yet they continue to delay. They seem content to keep me in pain indefinitely, with an ever-changing story about when I'll get a resolution. Cigna simply does not care about their members at all, and they operate in bad faith using questionable denials and delays.

Carol Hughes DeSoto, TX

I have had Cigna as my medication insurance for years. This will be the LAST year I have them. They approve a medication , then turn around a month later and deny it! Every year, they remove medication from their formulas that someone has been on for months or years....& not powerful meds either.....normal meds that do not have addiction tendencies. The worst part is THEY want to override your physicians treatment plan & tell you what THEY think you should take! I'm sorry, but an Insurance Company is NOT my doctor. I believe my doctors knowledge is more valuable in knowing my health issues, than any pharmacist or insurance company! And when they want to push their idea of your treatment plan, they call you 6-8 times a day, hanging up & leaving a message! That's harassment as far as I'm concerned.......I am SO done with this company.

Christian Mandl Lexington, MA

Seems to be a highly dysfunctional and poorly organized company. Within 6 months they have managed to (i) send me an incorrect 1099 HC form; (ii) refused to correct the form; (iii) after intervention from my employer promised to correct it, but instead sent the wrong form again; (iv) failed to reactivate my insurance under COBRA for two months in spite of me providing proof of having paid my premiums; (v) sent two out of 4 reimbursement checks to the provider instead of me although the receipts clearly showed that I had payed out of pocket; (vi) were unable to track the checks that were delivered incorrectly and gave me repeatedly wrong information; (vii) delayed processing of claims for over two months and sent me more than 10 letters announcing those delays. With this error rate, I wonder how they can stay in business. As a customer, it is a very frustrating experience. I strongly recommend to look for better insurance companies.

Sheila Waldrop Stringer, MS

Worst insurance money can buy! My husband and I pay $1,200 per month and pay for the best coverage they offer. I have multiple problems due to a car accident 4 years ago. Had a triple disckectomy over 3 years ago. Still have 1 collapsed disc in my neck and every disc in lower lumber is bulging/ herniated. My Doctor ordered an MRI in November, 2017. Cigna denied it. Well, had an epidural injections in my neck in January, 2018.. they denied it as well! I wouldn't recommend this insurance to anyone!! I only gave a 1 star rating because there wasn't an option for a zero. Please do not waste a single dime on this horrible rip off insurance

CG

While trying to get information on my employer provided Cigna plan, I was given the worst run-around. My employer & Cigna own me, according to them. When I tried to just cancel the policy, Cigna refused, stating that my employer had to do it. My employer is also able to mandate vaccinations and other services that I object to. Cigna refused to cancel and would not answer any questions with anything other than a "sorry". My HR person also would not discuss Cigna. So, I pay these worthless bums for a crappy policy that I do not control and am forced to continue paying for, even if I do not use it. I F'ing hate Cigna with all of my heart. They are one of the worst examples of the "medical cartel" in my opinion.

Matt Howie In The Hills, FL

So let me tell you how I got screwed by Cigna. My son was born in May of 2017 and I go on their mycigna website to find a pediatrician for him and found one 2 towns over that had good reviews and was IN NETWORK. So just to be sure I call Cigna to make sure I am good to go to bring my son there. The rep tells me "yup you're all good to go to Dr. Smith" (his actual name). So I bring my son there 4 times from May through November and don't hear anything from Cigna at all. I go on the mycigna website at the claims section to see that I owe $1,953.00. This surprises me since I have never received an explanation of benefits nor a bill for any amount. Not to mention nothing from Cigna telling me that there is any issue and that my doctor ISNT in my network. So I call Cigna to ask what is going on and they state they sent me explanation of benefits telling me that the doc isn't in my network and how much I owe which was approx. $500 per visit. I tell them that I have never received anything at all in the mail and they basically said "tough" we sent it to you now its your responsibility. So I have 4 issues: 1) the Cigna rep told me the doc was in network. 2) Cigna never told me the doc wasn't in network and never sent me an explanation of benefits because if they would have I obviously would of switched doctors. 3) I've never received a bill whatsoever. 4). They told me if I didn't pay the mystery bill I would be brought to collections and dropped from the insurance. Mind you, I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED A BILL. Cigna is an unbelievably dishonest and scummy company who wont own up to their mistakes and has no problem screwing over honest, hard working people. I told the rep that if I would have received an explanation of benefits saying my claim was denied the first time I brought him, I would of had no problem paying the bill and finding another doctor but Cigna never provided me that chance and wont own up to their mistake. Stay far away from this company and I would recommend recording every conversation you have with them since nothing they say can be trusted as the truth.

Sherry Fort Walton Beach, FL

I bet Cigna has more more money this year than any other year they have been in business. Because, the have screwed over so many hard working people who pay a lot for their health care coverage and do not get reimburse for anything. Cigna hires 3rd parties to try and deny claims. Worse insurance company in US History. God I hope our employer switches back to Blue Cross. Blue Cross Geo Blue is like Heaven and CIGNA Global/Envoy is the Devil themselves. Pure Evil. Customer Service Sucks. And forget getting a legitimate regular claim paid or even a percentage. How in the world they have a 2.9 stars out of 5, I will never know. Should be No stars out of 5. Horrible, Terrible, useless coverage. Who ever works in the claims dept. should be fired and in prison for life. Monsters.

Debrina Mobile, AL

Since I have been living for 52 years I have NEVER had health insurance as HORRIBLE as CIGNA. By far the worse crappiest non paying for normal standard claims insurance on the planet. If there is a health insurance worse than CIGNA, you may as well not even have any. I have had a ton of different insurance companies and have worked for many insurance companies and CIGNA is absolutely TERRIBLE. They will not cover legitimate claims when it's obvious you went to the Dr. and you needed what they told you needed. Will not cover Chiropractor (not enough), will not even cover a medical eye visit. I have paid out of pocket this year more than I have ever paid out in my life. Just about went bankrupt paying out of pocket for things that should have been covered for my children, husband, and myself. Im not talking about anything over the norm. Just normal regular things that all other insurance covers, other than deduct.

Sue Wharton, NJ

They are the worst insurance company I ever had to deal with. First you call and get a person you can't understand and they get mad when you ask to repeat themselves. I have this insurance through my job and they deduct from my pay 2 times a month, so they get their money no problem. My husband has been diagnosed with a rare immune disorder and the doctor whom is a specialist did all the necessary tests to prove this sickness. He got 5 treatments and was starting to get some feeling back in his hands and feet. The doctor request 4 more weeks of treatments 2 times a week and the insurance is questioning the doctor for more tests to be done. Meanwhile he is not getting the treatments for a month and a half and he is not getting better. Now he is right back to where he started not able to walk properly. This company is delaying any progress to his health. I thought Medical Insurance is there to help. I am so disgusted with this low budget insurance company.

Daniel Anoka, MN

One of the worst experiences I've ever had. I've been on leave from work for 3 months and am still struggling to get my disability benefits. They say they believe I am sick and the documentation is sufficient, yet they keep denying my claim for very vague reasons. I have contacted an attorney, talked to my HR manager, who is just as confused as I am about why they keep denying it, and it doesn't seem to phase Cigna. They didn't mind taking my money every paycheck for the past 2.5 years, but when I need those benefits, they stall at every opportunity. I am dealing with a health issue that is stressful and exhausting on it's own, and Cigna has only added to this stress and I am now more focused on trying to get my disability benefits to pay bills than I am on taking care of my health. This company makes me sick, they treat people like junk and I am shocked that my work chose to go through them after reading the reviews here. I have no idea how they stay in business when they treat people like junk. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to hire an attorney and sue to get my benefits.

Darin Davis Phoenix, AZ

In the day of the Internet Cigna only will use snail mail as a way of delaying paying short term and long term benefits. I have been struggling daily with Cigna to get paid for both short and long term. I have to delay my physical therapy as I have run out of funds dealing with Cigna. When SS Administration tell you Cigna will do every possible not to pay long term they were spot on. Now my ability to return to work is compremised as I have to stop physical therapy delaying my ability to get back what I lost due to a major surgery and delaying my ability to return to work in a timely manner.

Eva Iglesias Redwood City, CA

I have Cigna through my husband's job. I do not recommend this company if you are planning on actually using out of network providers and submitting claims on your own. My experience is that they will take an average of 3 months, sometimes 9 months, to pay your claim. They will send the claims back saying there is missing information or wrong codes, which is typically not true (based on my follow up calls, CS reps tell me the information is all there and correct). The have also sent payment to my service providers instead of me and then you have to follow up twice with Cigna and you will not receive the check for at least 45 days. Bottom line, be prepared to stay on top of your claims and spend hours on the phone with Cigna if you choose this insurance company. My experience is that CS reps are good. The problems is with the claims processing people and/or automated system.

Wendy Rowlette Morgan, UT

Using Cigna insurance has worked well for our family. We haven't had any issues with preapproval of procedures and the payments are made quickly and efficiently to our doctors and hospitals.

Sarah Crowther Draper, UT

We have a Cigna PPO plan with a No Deductible policy. Generally we are satisfied but there have been exclusions and would recommend researching the fine print of your individual plan before making assumptions of coverage.

Jessica Archuleta Riverton, UT

I use Cigna as a second insurance since my husband's is our primary. They have been great to work with . They very easy to work with when it comes to them picking up what is left after my husbands insurance

Kevin Liu Sandy, UT

Cigna has good coverage options for my primary care doctors. Their web ports is very transparent and easy to use to find physicians and see what I’ve paid towards my deductible.

MattB Salt Lake City, UT

We currently have Cigna as our medical provider through my employer. It does not cover providers and hospitals we would like to use and have been forced to see providers who wouldn't be our first choice. We pay a large amount monthly for a High Deductible Health Plan that doesn't cover anything unless someone in my family gets seriously injured or ill. I haven't been impressed. We live in Utah where the largest Healthcare organization is Intermountain Healthcare and I wish Cigna would add them to their in-network services.

Stephanie Love West Valley City, UT

I’ve had Cigna insurance for several years and I have not been impressed with them over the past few years. The costs have gone up and the coverage has gone down. I’ve had procedures denied even though the doctors have requested them and the only way to get them approved was going to an ER because the severity of the pain. I haven’t like how the insurance company tries to dictate medicine.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

I was with Cigna for approx 19 years. You get what you expect with health insurance. You jump thru the hoops when filing claims. You get the pre-approvals when going in for procedures. There really isn’t anything that sets Cigna apart as better or worse than other insurance companies.I would say its average. I recently switched to another provider due to premium rates, no other reason.

bailey jo Orem, UT

My parents had us on Cigna through my mom's work and it worked pretty well until I moved from Texas to Utah for college. Anytime I would try to use it, it would give me headaches trying to get my coverage set up and when I had ACL surgery, it sent me to a doctor that I didn't really trust and I ended up needing surgery again on that same knee a few years later.

Ron Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

I was lucky enough to have Cigna health insurance through my employer and always appreciated the support that I received from them. They were fair and helped with my health needs. Great company and great coverage. I was glad to have Cigna as my health insurance payer.

Stephanie Orem, UT

We have had many health insurance providers and Cigna has been my all time favorite. It seemed like our bills were dramatically lower when we were with Cigna and our premiums were cheap. Look into Cigna if you haven't.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had Cigna in the past and they are easy to work with, don't have killer fees and have a great selection of doctors and care specialists available. They are easy to talk to and easy to learn about what I need to do.

Emily Lindon, UT

We changed insurance to Cigna in the last year. Their customer service is helpful and will take the time to help you sort things out. It is also very simple to figure out which places you have coverage at.

kerry perez Orem, UT

Im a current Cigna customer, i havent had to worry about anything with doctors, they've helped me with all the questions that i've had. Love the app, makes it easy to show ID!! highly recommend it

Sydni Robinson Alexandria, VA

The Copays are on the higher side but there are a ton of options for specialists and general practitioners all over the DMV and ever major pharmacy takes them the App is also super useful and easy to use when it comes to helping you find a new doctor.