Guardian Logo

Guardian

3.6

LAST UPDATED: May 26th, 2022

Guardian® began as a life insurance company over 155 years ago. Guardian® works to make insurance accessible to everyone, and over the years has served over 20 million Americans.

Guardian® offers excellent dental insurance options with good coverage. You can find coverage for dental implants and child orthodontic treatment through Guardian®. It also has a superior financial rating from A.M. Best, which signals financial strength and Guardian®'s ability to meet its financial obligations when customers file a claim.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Angelina Hamilton from Jackson, Mississippi

"My company switched to this year and I went to the dentist yesterday and found out they cover more than my previous insurance did. No deductible for my cleanings! And it’s affordable!"

Read More Guardian® Reviews

The Good

• Excellent Plan Options for Individuals
  • Dental Benefits Through Employers
  • Additional Insurance Available

Excellent Plans for Individuals

Guardian® offers Dental Health Maintenance Organization (DHMO) and Preferred Provider Organization.

Most insurance plans cover preventive care, like cleanings and dental check-ups. Coverage levels for diagnosis and restorative treatment (e.g. a root canal, filling, crown) varies by dental insurance plan. Plans typically don't cover cosmetic dentistry or orthodontics.

The PPO dental insurance plans have provider networks. However, plan members still have the same treatment covered if they visit an out-of-network dentist. The rates are usually higher for out-of-network dental care, even for preventive treatment. However, the flexibility is an advantage of PPO insurance.

Guardian® also offers Dental Health Maintenance Organization (DHMO) plans. The Dental HMO has a network of dental providers. It's easy to find an in-network provider on Guardian®'s website. For coverage, plan members must receive care from a Guardian dentist. The network flexibility is how PPO and HMO plans differ.

Dental Benefit Options Through Employers

Guardian® works with employers to create benefits packages for employees. For more details on dental plan options, you'll need to reach out to the company directly.

In addition to dental insurance coverage, employers may also be able to work with Guardian ® to offer vision, life, supplemental health, and disability insurance in their benefits package.

Additional Insurance Available

Independent buyers can purchase other kinds of insurance through Guardian®:

• Vision Insurance
  • Accident Insurance
  • Critical Illness Insurance
  • Cancer Insurance
  • Hospital Indemnity Insurance

These are great additional offerings. Some insurance providers offer more kinds of insurance, like health insurance. Others focus primarily on dental insurance.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Area Variability
  • Waiting Periods
  • Dental Discount Plans May Not Be Available
  • Must Provide Contact Information to See Options

Limited Customer Insight

Best Company has not received many reviews for Guardian®. General conclusions about the customer experience are not currently available.

Area Variability

Guardian®’s insurance policy offerings may vary depending on the area you live in. However, it is easy to view your insurance coverage options on the company’s website after entering your zip code.

Waiting Periods

Although there isn't usually a waiting period for preventive care, it's common for dental insurance plans to have a waiting period for restorative dental procedures like fillings and other major dental work. Some dental insurance companies do not have waiting periods. As you review Guardian®'s dental plans, check to see if there are waiting periods for some dental work and whether or not the periods can be waived.

Dental Discount Plans May Not Be Available

If you're looking for a dental discount plan instead of insurance, you may not be able to find plans from Guardian®

While the website does not include any FAQs on dental discount plans, you won't know for sure until you provide your zip code and email address to view options and pricing in your area.

Dental discount plans are sometimes called dental savings plans. These plans are not insurance. Instead, they offer set discounts on dental services when you visit participating dentists.

Must Provide Contact Information to See Options

Before Guardian®'s site shows you dental insurance plans in your area, you must provide your zip code, number of people covered, your age range, and email address.

If you're still in the research stages, it can be frustrating to provide an email address so that Guardian® can email you quotes on plans.

The Bottom Line

Dental treatment can be expensive and good oral health affects your overall health. Dental insurance helps by offering access to pre-negotiated discounts and cost-sharing. Regular preventive care like routine cleanings can help you avoid more expensive major services like root canals or bridges.

While Guardian® may not have the same number of dental insurance policies as some of its competitor dental insurance providers, it has several great options for dental plans. Guardian® provides good dental coverage. It's also convenient that the company offers other kinds of insurances, like vision insurance. Those interested in purchasing dental and vision insurance can find both products through Guardian®.

Finding a dentist in Guardian®'s dental network is a simple online process. Visiting a participating dentist helps you maximize your plan's dental savings. Before you buy a plan, you can check whether or not your current dental provider is included in Guardian®'s network.

Before choosing Guardian® as your insurance provider, be sure to check the website for zip code-specific cost and plan options. Consider the out-of-pocket expenses, annual deductible, annual benefit maximum, premiums, and coverage offered. Evaluate these features in terms of your budget and dental work or procedures you may need.

Customers should also pay attention to the waiting periods. If a you don't want to deal with waiting periods, choosing a plan from Guardian® may not be the best option.

Although more customer reviews are necessary for a full recommendation, Guardian® is a good dental insurance company to consider if its dental insurance plans offer the coverage you need.

1.7

Reen Pip East Northport, NY

I have read many of these reviews. Not sure that’s are real reviews but I will give you my real experience. I have had fillings, preventative work crowns implants and always have reached a person to speak if any issue. Also I believe it has to do with the dentist you go to and making sure on their end the codes they are using are correct. You also have a max payout for dental and if you go over it’s on you like any other dental plan. I am in the middle of a procedure and going on Medicare in June and I called guardian and they told me since I have guardian now there are no waiting periods and my work will be covered. I have had guardian for over a year and a half and Delta Dental before that thru my company. So my advise to everyone is understand your plan , check to make sure your doctor is in their network and accepts their coverage in full not partial and know you will have out of pocket expenses. Btw.. my dentist and I get explanation of benefits and I know what to expect in a payment . Maybe it’s different in NY but so far so good for me !

Soudabeh K TX

If I have a choice , I give them ZERO rating. This is my first time I have a Dental insurance. I always go for regular cleaning twice a year. There is a just one dentist accept this insurance in my town to mention it's not a small town. It took one and half hour just for X-ray and they give me appointment for regular cleaning for next 8 months. I called the insurance company and they didn't cooperate at all. I am so frustrated, I wish I can cancel my insurance for rest of the year 😫

1 day ago

Duane Crum Commerce City, CO

I am writing today completely appalled at the lack of Customer Experience I have received from Guardian I received a bill from my Dentist for $420, they told me Guardian wouldn't cover the cost of the exam or the cleaning because my family had already been seen in the last 6 months. I scheduled an appointment a few weeks too early to accommodate my work schedule and now I am being punished by the insurance company I pay premiums to every month. I can't put into words how predatory and disgusting the service I have received from Guardian. In a pandemic, when inflation is at an all-time high and we are trying to do everything we can to survive I made an appointment a few weeks early so I could work it around my work schedule and you are telling me there is nothing you can do as a company? I don't abuse the system, I pay my premiums, I pay my taxes, I do everything the way I am supposed to in life and now my greedy insurance company is denying coverage because I scheduled an appointment a few weeks too early. This is disgusting and appalling and I hope your shareholders can sleep at night knowing how much they are hurting regular people just trying to support their family and get by each month. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Anthony Schenectady, NY

0 stars. I signed up online, had an issue with my phone so I had to call in to finish up everything. Started seeing my dentist for a year now. Just found out that all of my visits had denied claims. Never received correspondence from Guardian about the claims, I just kept going bc I thought everything was ok. When I received my bill through dentist I called Guardian, I was out of network. They had me set for a dentist that was at the other end of the state. Worst customer service ever.

mindy Harrison Arlington, VA

Guardian is the worst dental insurance co. I have ever had. They only covered $18 for X-rays and did not cover any crown work which was covered from past dental insurance companies. When I talked to my dentist about the challenges, they stated that they also have seen other customers not receiving coverage that was typically covered with other companies and prior to covid. They make it impossible to file a claim or appeal stating they never received the information when it was sent numerous times and with numerous methods (ie. on their website, mail, fax, email). I cancelled my insurance with guardian since they were not customer oriented and they did not cover any of the crown work. Disappointing and unethical.

SnoopySnotOffic Snot FL

First off I went out for surgery in January of this year. They me wait almost 2 months to get my short disability check from them. Every two weeks my claim started over so there was constant income coming from them. Then when it was time for the long term to kick in they told me it will take another 45 days to process the paperwork to get the long term started. If I was not getting money from the VA as a disable veteran. I don’t know where me and my family would be right now.

Rena Winnsboro, LA

Enrolled my family through the marketplace, premiums were low for us which was great. But when we attempted to use them the first time (only time) it turned into a mess. I had never received any insurance cards with policy or group information. Called the company on the day of our appointment, was given group and ID #'s along with claim address for filing which I gave to our dentist office. That was October 2021. Over the next 6 months the claim has been denied at least 4 times stating I do not have an "employer sponsored policy" or that my "employer sponsored policy has been terminated", neither of which was ever true since I enrolled through the marketplace. In January 2022 our dentist office called me to inform me it had been denied again so I attempted to reach guardian again. This time though, each time I would work my way through the treacherous phone maze I would reach someone in support for their employer based insurance, would be told I had no policy and be redirected to call the exact phone number I had just called (and had called previously without issue) even after I explained that was the number I had called. After numerous phone calls, wait time and a couple of days (I had to take a mental break from the chaos) I finally reached someone who was kind enough to TRANSFER me to the correct department for marketplace policies . Reached another kind person there who stated she had no record of any claims on my policy and that they were most likely processed by the wrong department...but she gave me the correct filing information and mailing address. I then gave this to my dentist office and thought everything was fine until she called me last week to inform me she had received another denial similar to the previous ones. So today I was able to finally reach out to Guardian, and was told they have processed that claim just a few days ago...why did we receive a denial letter? Who knows. But I'm done. I no longer have this policy but if I did I would have terminated it right away. 6 months, numerous phone calls and headaches, I don't know how many claims filed for one little dental visit for my child. This is more than silly and Guardian needs to get their stuff together. It's just ridiculous how much time I had to spend to get this taken care of (and I don't totally trust it is but we will see.

Kelly Diaz Oklahoma City, OK

I regret not looking up reviews before signing up with them for my dental insurance. They've been a complete nightmare. I would leave no stars if I could. I did not receive an invoice from them like they're supposed to send for the first premium payment. When I called they claimed it had been mailed but I have informed delivery with USPS and there was never anything scheduled to be delivered from them. This is the first lie they told me. After making the first payment over the phone, I set up automatic payments online. They never drafted any of the scheduled payments and I was completely unaware they'd failed to do so until three months later when I received a letter telling me they'd cancelled my policy due to non-payment. When I called to ask what happened, they told me the payment was denied and they'd emailed me a notification of refused payment. I never received an email so when I got off the call with Guardian, I called and checked with my bank and I was told they'd never attempted to draft the payment. When I called back to ask why they'd never drafted the payment, they doubled-down claiming they tried but it had been refused. When I asked again why was I not notified about the alleged refused payment, they said they don't notify people and it was my fault for not checking whether the payment had gone through. I explained someone was lying because I'd been told in no uncertain terms the other person I spoke with swore an email had been sent (which they can check because all calls are recorded), they finally relented and told me they would reinstate my policy. I was told it would take 5-7 days and I would receive an email once it had been reinstated. Well, ten days later and no email, I tried logging back in to see and it was reinstated. What good it will do me considering all the complaints about them not paying I can't say but at least I've got something. TLDR - never, never, never again will I not do a deep dive on a company before signing up.

Camluvly Grand Prairie, TX

I give them a negative 5 stars. They never sent me my insurance cards. In fact I never received any correspondence from them. I called them and made a payment because that activates my account status and two weeks later I was cancelled for inactivity and non payment. I, however received an email stating something totally different. They are not worth the trouble.

Eric West Vanceboro, NC

Horrible company. When I went to their website to search for a provider, they gave two choices to select: PPO and some other option. NEITHER was on my card. So, I figured i'd call to understand if my insurance is PPO or the other option. FORGET IT! Their voice prompts ask a million things in order to get to an actual agent. VERY. FRUSTRATING. I told them: PUT THE TYPE OF INSURANCE ON MY CARD! They tried explaining that PPO is the default. FFS. Do they think typing "PPO" on cards is too much ink to pay for!!!?? I wish my employer would drop them.

Sharmere Merriweather Augusta, GA

This company is should be out of business. They really added to my postpartum depression. Put me through a lot to receive my claim while I was out of work and needed to pay my bills. Horrible experience would NEVER recommend them to anyone. Also they have no supervisor that you can speak with to better help you. When I ask for a call back I never got one. Very disappointed.

cmoore Oklahoma City, OK

Failed to send invoice in a timely manner but I was able to pay when I called to ask about why I hadn't received an invoice or my card. I set up automatic payments at the same time as making me first payment. They didn't notify me when they were having difficulty processing the subsequent automatic payments and I didn't find out until they sent a notice though the mail that they'd cancelled my policy. The notice was sent Mar. 6 but wasn't delivered until Mar. 22. One representative said they emailed me about the problem with the payment, another told me they didn't email me about it and that they don't notify customers when that happens. Representative said it was my fault for not checking whether the payment had gone through despite the fact the payment had gone through with no issues when I first set up the automatic payment. I regret signing up with them. Plans look great on paper but I should have read reviews of the company before signing up.

Tajai Kuhn Ocala, FL

It is a constant battle to get benefits paid. I have had to reach out to my dentist several times, and they have proof they have sent the claims to Guardian. Guardian then says they don't have the information, or give me the runaround. All of this for my husband, who is a dependent and I pay for! Terrible customer service in my opinion.

Carl Fisk Atlanta, GA

This company is a scam. I was with Guardian for over a year, and the credit card I used to pay for it was stolen. I got a new card and cancelled the old one, but Guardian never once got in touch with me to tell me my payment method hasn’t changed. Instead, with no communication, they cancelled my account and put me on the hook for a large dental bill. I even offered to pay retroactively for all the time I missed and they refused. Guardian will do everything they can to take your money, and then they’ll do everything they can to not pay out benefits when the time comes.

Steven White

You should avoid this company at all costs if you are looking for a quality dental insurance company as Guardian is not it. The refused to pay a claim for a crown on a tooth because their dental consultation felt that the "prognosis" for a successful restoration was not high. So they are basically calling the dentist that I have been going to for nearly 20 years as incompetent. An oh by the way, since they are so slow at processing the original claim and my appeal, the crown has been in place now for 6 months and is doing just fine. If you are the benefits coordinator for any company and you care about your employees, stay as far away from this company as you can! Your employees are not going to be satisfied with their poor service and them hiding behind excuses like the opinion of their "dental consultant"!

Mark Hunt Aiken, SC

So far, poor experience. Link in welcome email led to the wrong website “guardiandirect” dotcom when it should have sent me to “dentalexchange.guardiandirect” dotcom. I had no chance to understand why I couldn’t register online. Therefore I didn’t get the policy. Therefore, didn’t know that a $60 deductible and 6-month wait applied to even Preventative cleaning at the same dental office I've gone to for years. Deceptive, poor experience. Getting help through email is stupid, replies take 2 weeks and I think a computer would provide more intelligible replies than whatever human(?) is replying.

Vince R Philadelphia, PA

Customer Service is awful - you must do everything online as it is almost impossible for you to get through to a representative. been on hold now 16 min with a BS recording saying someone will be with you shortly. Their website on dental plans are a little confusing (I think intentionally). I bought a Silver plan now I think called Core. I was certain that when I purchased the plan, it covered a number of services that I would use. I was also certain that the plan paid up to $1,000 annually which is a standard plan. Turns out, my documentation does not say that, but when I look online at my plan it pays $500. So, I am paying about $360/yr for a $500 a year benefit. I have not used the plan yet, but when I do I expect there to be issues with payment.

Catheryn Vargas New Braunfels, TX

They had the wrong birthdate despite my using them for 2 years already and then I called to correct and their automated system is a joke. Couldn't understand a simple yes or no and constantly threatened to disconnect me.

Krishnanand Kamath Cary, NC

Absolute worst. After 5 months and 5 calls and hours of wasted time providing documentation they do not resolve claim and keep asking for same thing. The call center folks are absolute worst as well as there is no online paper trail of all the documents we submit on any claim. I have no idea how such a company can be in business, and even more surprised how companies (like my employer and other credible Fortune 500 companies) can use them for employer provided insurance.

Jake Philomath, OR

Like others here, I have been a victim of Guardian's obvious business plan which it to deny as many claims as possible and then cause endless fatigue for clients through a perpetual appeal process. The unreachable, unnamed "reviewing dentist" will determine that the documentation a dentist properly submits for a crown replacement (in my case) is not adequate to justify the procedure. Guardian Client Support suggests an appeal. Return to "reviewing dentist" step. Eventually the client wears down, the dentist loses patience in providing ever more documentation and the patient pays alone. Guardian's offshore Indian customer agents are sympathetic and happy to pass along the steps needed for another appeal, but are powerless to do anything more. For 15 minutes of 3rd world labor time listening or chatting, Guardian has avoided paying a significant but legitimate dental benefit. This should be explored further by authorities.

NavidadInCO Thornton, CO

If I could rate it a -1, I would. I have bought Dental insurance individually for the last 20-25 years and this is by far the worst company I have dealt with. Every procedure has a lot of small print that will cause them not to pay for it. Our company switched providers 1/1/21 and since then we have heard nothing but complaints! I am out at least $1000 and a coworker has paid over $3000 in dental work that was plain denied. My dentist submitted and resubmitted the work for review and it was denied every single time. What I found out is that they use a separate company to "review" so that they can claim it was not them that denied it. If our company continues to use this option, I will not be taking it next year.

Joe Kochanski Durham, NC

Terrible, pathetic excuse of a company. They have denied almost every claim I've had in the last 4 months with 2 separate providers. I changed from one dentist to another thinking it was the dentist who was taking advantage of me (after all claims were denied), but now that all claims are being denied with my new dentist, I see that this insurance company is totally corrupt. Deny every claim. Force you through a never ending appeals process. Their in-house dental consultant - paid to deny claims - knows better than the last 3 dentists I've been to, all of whom have recommended work be done for my dental health and well being. I will be reporting these fraudsters to the insurance commission; this needs to end now.

AC customer Long Beach, CA

Horrible. This company does not have proper customer service. No dental records. Policy adjustment without consent will occur. Beware. Unless you're prepared to go to battle just avoid the headache.

Dan Grant Belpre, OH

Good coverage on paper, but terrible policies that never allow you to use the full value of their benefits. By far the worst dental insurer I have ever been offered through an employer. Slow to pay providers, old crappy website, dental policies from the 1970's when silver fillings were all the rage.

Jeff Cantlebary Kailua-Kona, HI

One star is the lowest score I can give but way too high for this pitiful company. I have 2 claims for dental teeth cleaning going back 11 months that I have not been paid for. I have easily spent over 10 hours on the phone with nice but unhelpful customer service representatives. Easily the worst company I have ever dealt with

Nadia Adzinets Austin, TX

Guardian denied the claim for my crowns saying they were not medical necessity even though I consulted two dentists before having them done and both confirmed crowns were the only option to treat decay developing under very old (15+ years) extensive tooth restorations. Guardian was just useless! Our previous insurance Delta Dental covered my husband's crowns without questions.

Christian Finamore Middletown, MD

This company is such a joke. I am in the process of attempting to get reimbursement for a mistake related on their end!!!! It’s been weeks and every time I’m told they have everything they need, they send some other BS “request for information” that they already have! Completely dishonest business model, and they definitely practice it to make people give up on their claims. Pathetic follow up and customer service, I have never had a more miserable experience then that with Guardian.

TwelfthSign 73 Houston, TX

JUNK INSURANCE!!! My agency switched to this company a year ago so I had no other options for dental. I HATE THIS INSURANCE! We previously had United Healthcare, which was friggin awesome! I’m pretty sure the goal of this company is to take your money and do everything within their power to deny claims for anything outside of routine cleanings. They hardly pay for anything and have the nerve to suggest using a dentist in-network to save money. I switched to an in-network dentist when they started denying claims from my dentist because I needed bridges and crowns. Switching dentists is only a hassle and a gimmick because they half pay the dentists in-network. If you can avoid this company RUN! It’s a waste of your time, money, and sanity to throw money to the wind because that is what you’re doing with this company!

Hope Funk Chicago, IL

The only thing this company is good at is taking your money on a consistent basis. Got their plan through the ACA marketplace and have had repeated issues since. Several plans have waiting periods for services of 6 months or more where effectively nothing is covered. Even after the waiting period, they routinely deny claims from dentists and have virtually no communication with subscribers. I recently had a wisdom teeth extraction last month and interacting with this company has been far more painful in comparison. No engagement via email support and when you get through to a live representative on their customer support line, they repeat company policy and make no effort to understand let alone remedy your situation. I am currently trying to terminate my policy and request a refund. I would rather do my own dental work by hand than give this company any more money.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

Guardian seems to be at the top as far as coverage goes. I was disappointed it didnt cover any Ortho service BUT upon looking thru other companies they still have the best coverage so its whatever (most do not cover ortho).

Dayna Brown Logan, UT

Quality dental care is important to our family! Guardian makes it so simple to find good 'in network' dentists to fulfill all the dental needs of our family. Their statements are easy to understand and read and I love that they keep us properly informed of costs, they don't hide anything from you! We have been customers of Guardian for years and are very pleased with their services!

james Darcy Loveland, OH

I have been trying to cancel my vision insurance through this company for months and never have gotten through to a rep. tried online tried pretty much everything looks like I'm stuck with 2 vision plans for the rest of my freaking life. trying a pigeon by mail maybe that will work.

Rylee Bennett Hutchinson, MN

Awful awful awful. Worst customer service ever. I've had to call back and forth between my dentist and this company's claims department so many times just to have a regular cleaning covered I can't even keep track. Then when theyve finally processed your claim, they don't even send the check unless you call to hound them. They're nothing but a headache.

Elizabeth Wall-O'Brien New York, NY

Frustrating: My daugeter needed a root canal. Both she and the dental office made calls to confirm coverage with guardian. In fact, the administrative assistant of the dental office put my daughter on the phone so that both the office and my daughter heard the same message: She was covered in full. When I got a sizeable bill for the procedure, both the office and my daughter called Guardian and were told that no one ever said she was covered in full. We asked them to pull the tapes on the call and they have yet to do so. Both my daugher and the dental office have made calls to request help from a guardian supervisor to no avail. They won't let us hear the correct tape. The dental office staff is our witness as we are for them.

msau Port Charlotte, FL

this company sucks, they pay a pittance for your care and then find pathetic excuses to deny payment of this piddling amount.

austin pliler Layton, UT

I recently switched companies and started using guardian for my vision and dental. The online interface is easy to use and they are excepted by a lot of places. Insurance is not exciting and neither is this review. Five stars

michael walton St Louis, MO

Wait until their dentist 3,000 mi away denies your claim

Crissy Evelyn Brooklyn, NY

Horrible company with horrible customer service representatives that talk down to customers. They want me to pay the difference for white fillings. Saying the dentist should have known that and I need to call my dentist office not them! Very rude! Not worth it . Find a better company

Kelly

They are awful. We have paid for 7 months and tried to use the insurance today and they cost me half of a day of work and i couldn’t take my family to the dentist. I am very unhappy with them and honestly can’t wait until we can switch companies. If I could give zero stars I would.

Chris Craig Fenton, MI

Company covers nothing, set up to deny all Claims! No coverage is better! Had these guys once, now my new company uses them! Thank goodness I can drop my coverage and use my wife's, run from these guys, fraudulent company focus on profits, what is a patient?

welcow0521 Austin, TX

I would give negative 5 stars for this dishonest and disorganized company. I am very concerned that they are charging customers and giving no service, or not saying there was a nonpayment issue and then sending a letter immediately following that with 2-3 months of "nonpayment", when told that everything is okay. The reps all have inconsistent information for one account and will put blame on customer. 8 wouldn't trust this company but that's my thoughts.

Jodi Scheib Hollywood, FL

I am fairly sure their policy is to deny everything. After being in pain for some time - I went to the dentist and had four crowns done - paid my percentage and went on my way. A year later I am told that some random dentist doesn't find the films compelling enough to deem it a medically necessary procedure and it has been denied. HA! Tell my pain that. Now I am stuck owing several thousand more dollars out of pocket.

Cory Piekarski Westport, NY

As so many other reviews point out, Guardian employs nasty, abusive, sexist jerks as customer service reps. Interrupting, using abusive language, hanging up on patrons - that's what customers experience. I have never been so disgusted as I was following my one interaction with Guardian, and I am a premium-paying customer. I will be dropping them like a bag of dirt as soon as open enrollment comes around.

Meg Green Bedminster, NJ

Ive been covered by this company for less than a month and it has been nothing but problems. -i paid for my first premium in mid november -2 weeks into january i had 0 information— no insurance cards, no emails, nada. -i call customer service, sit on hold for like 15 minutes and i ended up having to just try again later -when i do try again later, i opt for them to call me back rather than sit on hold, i get a call and am immediately hung up on. -i try again and sit on hold, get thru to someone who says theyll transfer me, and as soon as my call is transferred i am once again immediately hung up on -FINALLY i get thru to someone, and sit on the phone with them for 10 minutes trying to figure out why i have no information and am told they cant find an account for me. She asks one more set of questions and miraculously finds it, but my ID number hasnt been generated yet. (Its been TWO MONTHS since i signed up, and we are 2 weeks into my plan) -i ask to verify which email she has on file. To this day i still have 0 emails from this insurance company. -finally, 3 days ago i get letters in the mail from them, including my (sad excuse for) insurance cards, and a bill (which i found out today i cant yet pay bc my account is ‘still being set up’) -i made my online account yesterday and if i try to login on my phone it just brings me back to the home page. -on top of all of this my deductible is not waived for cleanings. I got this plan because when i reviewed my finances for this year i found that id have some extra income, and am paying 2.5x the amount i did last year for my bcbs family grins plan, if im paying this much more why do i not even have a full account set up almost a full month into my coverage? And why doesnt their website seem to work? Ridiculous, esp with the waiting periods i found out i have to deal with. A full YEAR i have to wait if i need major dental care? Im switching from them as soon as humanly possible. The worst experience with insurance ever.

Ali Corton Framingham, MA

If there was a 0 star review I would select that. The rates they "contracted" for my rather expensive Boston suburb are embarrassing. Claims are not being paid according to the rates in my area and I am left with thousands of dollars in bills. I pay my coverage yet am not get any benefit from it. Customer services offers a lot of apologies but no solutions. The plan information provided is fraudulent, at best. This level of corruption has not been seen since prohibition. Avoid this company if you can. If you can't, then I suggest you keep EVERY piece of documentation and seek help from the attorney general of your state.

Virginia Pellegrini Vista, CA

If you can avoid Guardian Dental Insurance at any cost, it’s a SCAM!!! I went to the dentist in December getting a simple oral exam and a cleaning which led to getting 2 fillings and a crown replacement. The insurance expects the dentist to use silver filling so even though that state that they cover your fillings 100% they only cover the charge that is equivalent to the silver filling not the composite filling that is commonly used. On top of that they didn’t cover my crown replacement at all because apparently it needs to be more than 10 years’ old. And I submitted a predetermination claim to replace my bridge as well, but since it’s not older than 10 years’ they won’t cover that either. Now to get my teeth fixed I’m supposed to come up with at least $2500 out of pocket! I called their customer service which is just completely useless and incompetent. The supervisor tried telling me that my procedures weren’t covered because of the plan my employer chose. However after this call I started an online chat on their website, where I asked if they have any plans that cover crowns or bridges that are more than 10 years’ old and they confirmed that they don’t have any such plans. Now the things is that I’ve been with Guardian for about 7 years. About 2-3 years after my bridge was put in another dentist told me that it needed to be replaced. When they submitted that predetermination claim it turned that it had to be at least 5 years’ old for the insurance to cover it, so I decided to wait. In the meantime I got a new employer and signed up with their insurance plan which was Guardian again. I thought that was a good thing, bad mistake!!! Turns out Guardian can change their rules as it pleases them, or whichever way makes them more money by setting their customers up for failure. Once I though I was finally ready to get this work done it turns out their coverage limitation change to a minimum of 10 years. Consider that on average a crown will last 5-15 years, so on a fixed average that would be exactly 10 years, which means Guardian is waiting until the last minute to even partially cover your necessary procedure by which time it might be even too late to a replacement and you will need an implant which under most of their plans/scenarios they don’t cover anyway. Be aware, this company is a SCAM that employees CON-ARTISTS who will only take advantage of you and your assumption that insurance is actually there to help you make your life better and healthier!

T Wiesner Overland Park, KS

WORST dental insurance ever! I had this because that's what was offered at my work. i didn't have a waiting period, had a procedure approved. my work decided to switch insurance at beginning of year. I called guardian for weeks, and not one person there was competent, I was switched from one agent to the next, called 15 times. on hold for hours each time. All I wanted to do was continue with them and pay for plan myself rather then my work pay, so my procedure would be completed. BUT ABSOLUTLY not they said if I continue with them there would be a 9 month waiting period, ridiculous, I was already receiving insurance from them. I never had to wait with any company, especially if i was already a member, so i was left with 8000.00 fees out of my pocket to finish my implant, because this greedy company would not let me pay for their insurance without having to wait . Why pay when you get no benefits! Customer service has no knowledge at all, everyone I spoke to insured me they would call me back with answers the next day, never got a call. In the process at one point I did sign up to continue before I knew there would be a long waiting period, and come to find out the agent didn't even complete the process, they took my bank number and everything to process the fee. was told it would be taken Dec 26-30. and I can cancel anytime. well they took my money the same day, then I find out after that they refuse to waive the waiting period which i have been asking about for months. I BETTER see a refund. TERRIBLE customer service. No wonder my work changed companies!!!! DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM!!!

Erin Steffek Fulshear, TX

Guardian is a TERRIB LE company. In November during open enrollment, my school district changed to Guardian. At the time, I contacted guardian to research what pediatric dentists were in the area for my 4 year old because she had a cavity I needed fixed. They gave me a list of pediatric dentists. In January when my insurance began, I contacted a dentist, but I was told in order to see the pediatric dentist I needed a referral. I got the referral. I thought all was well. I made my appointment. They could not see me for 3 weeks. Finally at 10am the day of my appointment, I get a phone call from Guardian stating that the dentist was no longer covered. I contacted guardian and they informed me that the list they gave me in November was a lie! They don't know who is in network unless the dentists contact them. So I have a bogus list of dentists and none are covered in my area. Having a cavity filled for a 4 year old isn't fun. I finally had her ready and now I have to drive over an hour away to get to a pediatric dentist. After being on hold for almost 4 hours, I am told there is nothing they can do. I am now stuck paying for insurance I can not use. They lied to us to get their bid with the district. They are a HORRIBLE company. I wouldn't trust them ever again.

J B Sandy, UT

Had Guardian dental at my last job, they always provided good online tools for finding a dentist.

Ron Suarez Fort Worth, TX

I filled out the form to sign up for dental insurance. Now they don’t have any record of me signing up. The rep said to call my employer admin. My admin can’t make Guardian give me a policy number so I can see a dentist. I wish I could give ZERO stars since I am receiving zero coverage.