Guardian Logo

Guardian

3.4

LAST UPDATED: November 29th, 2022

Guardian® began as a life insurance company over 155 years ago. Guardian® works to make insurance accessible to everyone, and over the years has served over 20 million Americans.

Guardian® offers excellent dental insurance options with good coverage. You can find coverage for dental implants and child orthodontic treatment through Guardian®. It also has a superior financial rating from A.M. Best, which signals financial strength and Guardian®'s ability to meet its financial obligations when customers file a claim.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Angelina Hamilton from Jackson, Mississippi

"My company switched to this year and I went to the dentist yesterday and found out they cover more than my previous insurance did. No deductible for my cleanings! And it’s affordable!"

Read More Guardian® Reviews

The Good

• Excellent Plan Options for Individuals
  • Dental Benefits Through Employers
  • Additional Insurance Available

Excellent Plans for Individuals

Guardian® offers Dental Health Maintenance Organization (DHMO) and Preferred Provider Organization.

Most insurance plans cover preventive care, like cleanings and dental check-ups. Coverage levels for diagnosis and restorative treatment (e.g. a root canal, filling, crown) varies by dental insurance plan. Plans typically don't cover cosmetic dentistry or orthodontics.

The PPO dental insurance plans have provider networks. However, plan members still have the same treatment covered if they visit an out-of-network dentist. The rates are usually higher for out-of-network dental care, even for preventive treatment. However, the flexibility is an advantage of PPO insurance.

Guardian® also offers Dental Health Maintenance Organization (DHMO) plans. The Dental HMO has a network of dental providers. It's easy to find an in-network provider on Guardian®'s website. For coverage, plan members must receive care from a Guardian dentist. The network flexibility is how PPO and HMO plans differ.

Dental Benefit Options Through Employers

Guardian® works with employers to create benefits packages for employees. For more details on dental plan options, you'll need to reach out to the company directly.

In addition to dental insurance coverage, employers may also be able to work with Guardian ® to offer vision, life, supplemental health, and disability insurance in their benefits package.

Additional Insurance Available

Independent buyers can purchase other kinds of insurance through Guardian®:

• Vision Insurance
  • Accident Insurance
  • Critical Illness Insurance
  • Cancer Insurance
  • Hospital Indemnity Insurance

These are great additional offerings. Some insurance providers offer more kinds of insurance, like health insurance. Others focus primarily on dental insurance.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Area Variability
  • Waiting Periods
  • Dental Discount Plans May Not Be Available
  • Must Provide Contact Information to See Options

Limited Customer Insight

Best Company has not received many reviews for Guardian®. General conclusions about the customer experience are not currently available.

Area Variability

Guardian®’s insurance policy offerings may vary depending on the area you live in. However, it is easy to view your insurance coverage options on the company’s website after entering your zip code.

Waiting Periods

Although there isn't usually a waiting period for preventive care, it's common for dental insurance plans to have a waiting period for restorative dental procedures like fillings and other major dental work. Some dental insurance companies do not have waiting periods. As you review Guardian®'s dental plans, check to see if there are waiting periods for some dental work and whether or not the periods can be waived.

Dental Discount Plans May Not Be Available

If you're looking for a dental discount plan instead of insurance, you may not be able to find plans from Guardian®

While the website does not include any FAQs on dental discount plans, you won't know for sure until you provide your zip code and email address to view options and pricing in your area.

Dental discount plans are sometimes called dental savings plans. These plans are not insurance. Instead, they offer set discounts on dental services when you visit participating dentists.

Must Provide Contact Information to See Options

Before Guardian®'s site shows you dental insurance plans in your area, you must provide your zip code, number of people covered, your age range, and email address.

If you're still in the research stages, it can be frustrating to provide an email address so that Guardian® can email you quotes on plans.

The Bottom Line

Dental treatment can be expensive and good oral health affects your overall health. Dental insurance helps by offering access to pre-negotiated discounts and cost-sharing. Regular preventive care like routine cleanings can help you avoid more expensive major services like root canals or bridges.

While Guardian® may not have the same number of dental insurance policies as some of its competitor dental insurance providers, it has several great options for dental plans. Guardian® provides good dental coverage. It's also convenient that the company offers other kinds of insurances, like vision insurance. Those interested in purchasing dental and vision insurance can find both products through Guardian®.

Finding a dentist in Guardian®'s dental network is a simple online process. Visiting a participating dentist helps you maximize your plan's dental savings. Before you buy a plan, you can check whether or not your current dental provider is included in Guardian®'s network.

Before choosing Guardian® as your insurance provider, be sure to check the website for zip code-specific cost and plan options. Consider the out-of-pocket expenses, annual deductible, annual benefit maximum, premiums, and coverage offered. Evaluate these features in terms of your budget and dental work or procedures you may need.

Customers should also pay attention to the waiting periods. If a you don't want to deal with waiting periods, choosing a plan from Guardian® may not be the best option.

Although more customer reviews are necessary for a full recommendation, Guardian® is a good dental insurance company to consider if its dental insurance plans offer the coverage you need.

1.6

Stephanie Lee Sun Prairie, WI

Horrible customer service -- I wasn't getting my full benefits that I paid for and had to call in multiple times to try to talk to someone who could explain to me why. Their website is useless, you can't even find your EOBs or claims on the website. Their phone automation system is terrible, it never understands what you're saying so it takes at least 10-15 minutes each time just to get routed to the right place. And then once you finally get someone on the phone they all know nothing and have to transfer you back and forth. The website is frequently down, on their end as well, so you have to constantly be put on hold while they wait for the system to come back up again. If I had a choice I would NEVER use them for insurance -- go with literally anyone else.

b. p. Anderson, IN

I have been a Guardian customer for more than 2 years. They have paid every claim, on time and in the exact amount as expected. No surprises at all. Very happy with the web site and customer service. The drawback is their limited coverage for major procedures. As implants seem to be the new normal Guardian has severe limitations on coverage. $1250 lifetime max for implants won't pay for half of one and heaven forbid if you need another. Seems like there should be more plans made available for an additional premium. If you need basic dental insurance, I don't think you could do any better than Guardian. If you're long in the tooth you might want to shop around. Other companies offer other plans.

Gumby Rowland Heights, CA

Guardian was okay the last few years paying minor stuff like cleanings. Then I needed a crown. Guardian refused to pay saying is was not necessary. My dentist provided written proof 3 x but they still would not pay. I have submitted a complaint to the Cal Dept of Insurance to see if they can help.

Reen Pip East Northport, NY

I have read many of these reviews. Not sure that’s are real reviews but I will give you my real experience. I have had fillings, preventative work crowns implants and always have reached a person to speak if any issue. Also I believe it has to do with the dentist you go to and making sure on their end the codes they are using are correct. You also have a max payout for dental and if you go over it’s on you like any other dental plan. I am in the middle of a procedure and going on Medicare in June and I called guardian and they told me since I have guardian now there are no waiting periods and my work will be covered. I have had guardian for over a year and a half and Delta Dental before that thru my company. So my advise to everyone is understand your plan , check to make sure your doctor is in their network and accepts their coverage in full not partial and know you will have out of pocket expenses. Btw.. my dentist and I get explanation of benefits and I know what to expect in a payment . Maybe it’s different in NY but so far so good for me !

Casey Mcauley

I have had guardian for over a year now. Only had basic cleaning. Filling cavities and major work done cost me $150 for cavities and a root canal my dentist said will cost me like 500. I can't afford that while owning a house. Having to take care of kids. Only income in my family. Is there a better dental insurance who will cover the costs of my procedures for a better price? I can't seem to get a good smile back and this company isn't any good clearly. It's been a year and I can't afford nothing.

angela kriegel Chicago, IL

They will cover your cleaning, but not much else. Half on my crown broke off, so my dentist said it needed replaced. Clearly it did need replaced, but Guardian's dentist reviewed my file and said that there was "no non-repairable demage or fracture to the existing restoration." Half the tooth was gone. If you pay for insurance, the company shoule provide insurance. It would be cheaper if I kept my premium and paid my dental bills.

Kyle Martin

Guardian has horrible customer service. They refuse to abide by their own terms and conditions of their product. I filed a claim since they only covered 50 percent of preventative care (they claim they cover 100 percent) but since the dentist charged more then they thought it should cost they claimed to cover 100 percent of a contracted rate. I have laced multiple appeals and the letters come back with an insulting response where no evidence is placed on why they should not cover the claim, but an introduction a conclusion statement about not covering any additional claims and a "This section is left in error" statement. They literally sent me a fill in the blank denial letter TWICE. I would avoid them if possible.

exguardian New York, NY

I've had the Silver / Core plan with Guardian Direct for several years in NYC. Basic cleaning and certain x-rays seems like they're 100% covered. However, things like white fillings (instead of silver) are not covered. All the advanced procedures are partially covered at the beginning of your 2nd year and there is only a small amount of implant procedure covered on a lifetime basis. I understand dental implants are expensive, but I believe they cap it at $700-$1,000 LIFETIME. If you're looking to have several implants, this insurance is pretty useless after your first one. Unless it's just cleaning, I feel like I'm always paying something out of pocket. You won't get much coverage on your first year, but your 2nd and 3rd yr will have better coverage. Overall, Guardian is an ok insurance for the premium I've paid. However, since I've exhausted my lifetime implant limit, I will be leaving them and try out another insurance such as Delta Dental.

Jaime Diaz Willow Springs, NC

I signed up with them through my job company and I’ve been waiting for my card 4 weeks to find out my dentist does not take them. I have to go to there PPO and If go to my dentist I have out of coverage. I wish I did my research before I signed up.

Ashley Davenport, FL

I wish I could give zero stars. They have wriggled out of covering anything that isn't a basic cleaning. I essentially gave them free money in the form of my monthly premium to keep while they screwed me when I expected the coverage in return for said payment. Terrible and intentionally misleading company.

Daniel Majano Miami, FL

This dental insurance is one of the bad if not the worse . I had bad experience with this company I filed a complaint form as they asked about the dentist and they ignored my situation and they did not do anything with the dentist to resolve it. They did not care , they don’t care about their customers situation. If you can stay away from them . I will not recommend them

Bcsfd Miami, FL

Guardian purposefully commits fraud. They will deny literally everything sent to them despite your policy saying in black and white that it’s covered. Their reps are either the dumbest people to walk the planet or actively helping to commit fraud. You’d be better off just saving up your money and asking your dentist for better out of pocket pricing.

adrian avram Tampa, FL

I was using this insurance by my employer for 3 years and was good until this year since start denying valid claims to increase their profits. I had to send appeals and fight with them for every dollar-another insurance adopted fraud and deceiving members as a successful business model

OC Taos, NM

Be careful of this company and check your statement after you cancel their plan. They kept charging me after I changed my dental plan for the new year through healthcare marketplace. Guardian wouldn't refund my money, were rude, and blamed healthcare marketplace for not informing them. I called healthcare marketplace and they said it was canceled and they did inform them. Guardian then only refunded HALF of my money. I called Guardian to refund the rest and they were very rude again! So I called healthcare marketplace and they stepped in, got Guardian to refund the money owed as well as gave me the number for Texas Dept of Insurance to file a complaint as they were astonished how difficult and rude Guardian Dental was. Never again.

Sundansir Ire

Guardian Dental I am trying to cancel the insurance. I can’t stomach paying them another cent. First they refused to cover my dependent. They said if they are over 19, they can’t provide coverage. She’s in college. Then I went to get dentures and a crown and they denied the claim. They stated my lost teeth were a pre-existing condition. Duh 🙄! Save your money. Don’t use Guardian Thru your employer or privately. They’re just NO GOOD!

lucy li Austin, TX

If you like a big hassle chose GUARDIAN DENTAL INSURANCE will not make you down. It was difficult to find a real review of Guardian Dental insurance from website. Let me give my experience 100% true. We bought HDMO dental plan. We spent long time but never find a pediatric dentist online or call the custom service so so many times they all know nothing and they made appointment were all wrong. Found the infos from their website were wrong.

Helen Dupree Dallas, TX

Plan year started 08/01/22 and here we are two weeks later and the provider support team at Guardian Dental, specifically Jordan, cannot provide my dentist with details about our group plan. So I am having to pay the full amount out of pocket even though the customer service representative at Guardian is able to give me full plan details. It is infuriating but not surprising. Why can’t people just do their job?

Matt Petaluma, CA

Lie about their dental coverage. My plan says it covers 100% of preventative care, but they have loopholes in the fine print to get out of paying. I have 2 examples: 1. X-rays are supposed to be preventative care, but they will only cover 1 x-ray every 5 years. Any other x-rays you need in that 5 year period will come out of pocket. 2. If they think the dentist charged too much, they will refuse to pay the full amount. I had a conversation with their claims department when they only paid about 85% of a bill that should have been fully covered, and they said they are covering "100% of the fair amount". I told them that's not what 100% means, but they just kept saying "our pricing models say this is what that procedure should cost". I asked them how they design their pricing models, and how their model determines that price, and the rep said he didn't have that information. AKA, he had no idea. So, they decided the original dentist price wasn't fair, but they don't know and can't explain how they decided that. Very helpful...

Danny Choi Syracuse, NY

Called to talk about claims. They have the call center setup to make you frustrated. The robo part in the beginning where you have to answer questions never works correctly, and then after awhile it gets you to real person. The first time i called i got hanged up on. After asking for someone else to help me. I called again this time i got someone who actually help me. But the way they have the plan written on their website is hard to tell if you are covered or not so i got confused. Not to mention why is it so hard if i have. the ADA codes to check if my plan is covered. Literally all they had to do is allow me to search by that code to figure it out but they don't. This company is the worst i have ever dealt with.

Deb Warrior, AL

I use to think their dental was wonderful but no longer. It is secondary insurance and my dentist office calls to verify payments on procedures with my MetLife and then Guardian. Between the two they were to pay in full my two crowns that were side by side. MetLife gave done flack but did pay there half. Now for almost 3 mtgs trying to get Guardian to pay their half. We (my dentist and I) have sent multiple 6 or more MetLife EOBs to Guardian. Then when they finally admit they received one, they accused us of altering the EOB which has infuriated me since I took a snap shot of the EOB from MetLife’s website. Since Covid shut everything down Guardian is HORRIBLE

Roxanne Cyr San Carlos, CA

Guardian Dental insurance should not be called "insurance". They say they cover dental cleanings (or any dental procedure) but what they mean is they take the cost of the cleaning (or procedure) then deny 1/2 of it saying the cost is too high, then base what they will cover on 1/2 the cost. It's irrelevant if the cost of the dental procedure is fair, they deny 1/2 no matter what because Guardian considers all charges to be exorbitant. Unfortunately this is the only choice my employer gives us. If you have any other choice, I suggest you take the other choice. I'm not sure how the people at Guardian Dental sleep at night but I'm sure they're laughing all the way to the bank!

Lousy Spokane, WA

They have horrible coverage, don't fight for their clients. Ms. H had me get a second opinion on a defective bridge and I did but she came back with the same answer, nothing they will do?? This went on for A YEAR.

Jackie Florence-Gormley Farmington, MI

This company provides the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Very rude and unhelpful staff. They even hung up on me. I wish my employer would change to a different company. It’s awful.

Hanna Kim Bend, OR

I've seen similar reviews and I agree - this is terrible dental insurance! They fight tooth and nail to NOT cover legitimate care. Their "licensed" dentist who reviewed my appeal for coverage is claiming that the core buildup for the crown I got was not a substantial loss enough to be covered. What are they looking for; the whole tooth to be missing?? X-rays/photos of my tooth show that it was eaten up practically down to the nerve. What a grift.

Duane Crum Commerce City, CO

I am writing today completely appalled at the lack of Customer Experience I have received from Guardian I received a bill from my Dentist for $420, they told me Guardian wouldn't cover the cost of the exam or the cleaning because my family had already been seen in the last 6 months. I scheduled an appointment a few weeks too early to accommodate my work schedule and now I am being punished by the insurance company I pay premiums to every month. I can't put into words how predatory and disgusting the service I have received from Guardian. In a pandemic, when inflation is at an all-time high and we are trying to do everything we can to survive I made an appointment a few weeks early so I could work it around my work schedule and you are telling me there is nothing you can do as a company? I don't abuse the system, I pay my premiums, I pay my taxes, I do everything the way I am supposed to in life and now my greedy insurance company is denying coverage because I scheduled an appointment a few weeks too early. This is disgusting and appalling and I hope your shareholders can sleep at night knowing how much they are hurting regular people just trying to support their family and get by each month. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

mindy Harrison Arlington, VA

Guardian is the worst dental insurance co. I have ever had. They only covered $18 for X-rays and did not cover any crown work which was covered from past dental insurance companies. When I talked to my dentist about the challenges, they stated that they also have seen other customers not receiving coverage that was typically covered with other companies and prior to covid. They make it impossible to file a claim or appeal stating they never received the information when it was sent numerous times and with numerous methods (ie. on their website, mail, fax, email). I cancelled my insurance with guardian since they were not customer oriented and they did not cover any of the crown work. Disappointing and unethical.

Rena Winnsboro, LA

Enrolled my family through the marketplace, premiums were low for us which was great. But when we attempted to use them the first time (only time) it turned into a mess. I had never received any insurance cards with policy or group information. Called the company on the day of our appointment, was given group and ID #'s along with claim address for filing which I gave to our dentist office. That was October 2021. Over the next 6 months the claim has been denied at least 4 times stating I do not have an "employer sponsored policy" or that my "employer sponsored policy has been terminated", neither of which was ever true since I enrolled through the marketplace. In January 2022 our dentist office called me to inform me it had been denied again so I attempted to reach guardian again. This time though, each time I would work my way through the treacherous phone maze I would reach someone in support for their employer based insurance, would be told I had no policy and be redirected to call the exact phone number I had just called (and had called previously without issue) even after I explained that was the number I had called. After numerous phone calls, wait time and a couple of days (I had to take a mental break from the chaos) I finally reached someone who was kind enough to TRANSFER me to the correct department for marketplace policies . Reached another kind person there who stated she had no record of any claims on my policy and that they were most likely processed by the wrong department...but she gave me the correct filing information and mailing address. I then gave this to my dentist office and thought everything was fine until she called me last week to inform me she had received another denial similar to the previous ones. So today I was able to finally reach out to Guardian, and was told they have processed that claim just a few days ago...why did we receive a denial letter? Who knows. But I'm done. I no longer have this policy but if I did I would have terminated it right away. 6 months, numerous phone calls and headaches, I don't know how many claims filed for one little dental visit for my child. This is more than silly and Guardian needs to get their stuff together. It's just ridiculous how much time I had to spend to get this taken care of (and I don't totally trust it is but we will see.

Kelly Diaz Oklahoma City, OK

I regret not looking up reviews before signing up with them for my dental insurance. They've been a complete nightmare. I would leave no stars if I could. I did not receive an invoice from them like they're supposed to send for the first premium payment. When I called they claimed it had been mailed but I have informed delivery with USPS and there was never anything scheduled to be delivered from them. This is the first lie they told me. After making the first payment over the phone, I set up automatic payments online. They never drafted any of the scheduled payments and I was completely unaware they'd failed to do so until three months later when I received a letter telling me they'd cancelled my policy due to non-payment. When I called to ask what happened, they told me the payment was denied and they'd emailed me a notification of refused payment. I never received an email so when I got off the call with Guardian, I called and checked with my bank and I was told they'd never attempted to draft the payment. When I called back to ask why they'd never drafted the payment, they doubled-down claiming they tried but it had been refused. When I asked again why was I not notified about the alleged refused payment, they said they don't notify people and it was my fault for not checking whether the payment had gone through. I explained someone was lying because I'd been told in no uncertain terms the other person I spoke with swore an email had been sent (which they can check because all calls are recorded), they finally relented and told me they would reinstate my policy. I was told it would take 5-7 days and I would receive an email once it had been reinstated. Well, ten days later and no email, I tried logging back in to see and it was reinstated. What good it will do me considering all the complaints about them not paying I can't say but at least I've got something. TLDR - never, never, never again will I not do a deep dive on a company before signing up.

cmoore Oklahoma City, OK

Failed to send invoice in a timely manner but I was able to pay when I called to ask about why I hadn't received an invoice or my card. I set up automatic payments at the same time as making me first payment. They didn't notify me when they were having difficulty processing the subsequent automatic payments and I didn't find out until they sent a notice though the mail that they'd cancelled my policy. The notice was sent Mar. 6 but wasn't delivered until Mar. 22. One representative said they emailed me about the problem with the payment, another told me they didn't email me about it and that they don't notify customers when that happens. Representative said it was my fault for not checking whether the payment had gone through despite the fact the payment had gone through with no issues when I first set up the automatic payment. I regret signing up with them. Plans look great on paper but I should have read reviews of the company before signing up.

Mark Hunt Aiken, SC

So far, poor experience. Link in welcome email led to the wrong website “guardiandirect” dotcom when it should have sent me to “dentalexchange.guardiandirect” dotcom. I had no chance to understand why I couldn’t register online. Therefore I didn’t get the policy. Therefore, didn’t know that a $60 deductible and 6-month wait applied to even Preventative cleaning at the same dental office I've gone to for years. Deceptive, poor experience. Getting help through email is stupid, replies take 2 weeks and I think a computer would provide more intelligible replies than whatever human(?) is replying.

Vince R Philadelphia, PA

Customer Service is awful - you must do everything online as it is almost impossible for you to get through to a representative. been on hold now 16 min with a BS recording saying someone will be with you shortly. Their website on dental plans are a little confusing (I think intentionally). I bought a Silver plan now I think called Core. I was certain that when I purchased the plan, it covered a number of services that I would use. I was also certain that the plan paid up to $1,000 annually which is a standard plan. Turns out, my documentation does not say that, but when I look online at my plan it pays $500. So, I am paying about $360/yr for a $500 a year benefit. I have not used the plan yet, but when I do I expect there to be issues with payment.

CHRISTINE KNAB Fort Walton Beach, FL

If I could give this service zero stars I would have. It is a scam and you pay more out of pocket with the monthly membership + the deductible than you would pay not having any dental insurance at all.

Dayna Brown Logan, UT

Quality dental care is important to our family! Guardian makes it so simple to find good 'in network' dentists to fulfill all the dental needs of our family. Their statements are easy to understand and read and I love that they keep us properly informed of costs, they don't hide anything from you! We have been customers of Guardian for years and are very pleased with their services!

Richard Abrams Agoura Hills, CA

I am a dental provider associated with Guardian. They have been a very negative experience dealing with. They have virtually no respect for my office as a provider. The one thing that they do well regularly is to take advantage to bolster their bottom line.

Rebecca Horn Queen Creek, AZ

If I could leave a negative rating I would. To give this company 1 star review is going above. When calling the reps to check claim status they either do not know what they are doing, are extremely rude, or place you on permanent hold. This company is extremely unprofessional and their over seas call center need to be monitored by quality control,

Laura Potter Manchester, CT

Absolutely horrible dental insurance. Denied coverage for a crown a replacement crown because I had only had it for 4.5 years. If It had been over 5 years they would have covered it at 60%. I paid for the first one my self... why bother with Dental insurance.

Kevin Jennings Nashville, TN

I got a dental implant in Georgia in 2019. I then moved to TN and got a new job with Guardian. What a scam. My implant fell out in 2021 and I got it replaced. Guardian denied my claim because it was the second implant in ten years (was I supposed to just live without one for another 8 years!?!?) and keep in mind THEY DIDNT EVEN PAY FOR THE FIRST ONE. I'll be dumping this scam insurance ASAP.

Soudabeh K TX

If I have a choice , I give them ZERO rating. This is my first time I have a Dental insurance. I always go for regular cleaning twice a year. There is a just one dentist accept this insurance in my town to mention it's not a small town. It took one and half hour just for X-ray and they give me appointment for regular cleaning for next 8 months. I called the insurance company and they didn't cooperate at all. I am so frustrated, I wish I can cancel my insurance for rest of the year 😫

Anthony Schenectady, NY

0 stars. I signed up online, had an issue with my phone so I had to call in to finish up everything. Started seeing my dentist for a year now. Just found out that all of my visits had denied claims. Never received correspondence from Guardian about the claims, I just kept going bc I thought everything was ok. When I received my bill through dentist I called Guardian, I was out of network. They had me set for a dentist that was at the other end of the state. Worst customer service ever.

SnoopySnotOffic Snot FL

First off I went out for surgery in January of this year. They me wait almost 2 months to get my short disability check from them. Every two weeks my claim started over so there was constant income coming from them. Then when it was time for the long term to kick in they told me it will take another 45 days to process the paperwork to get the long term started. If I was not getting money from the VA as a disable veteran. I don’t know where me and my family would be right now.

Camluvly Grand Prairie, TX

I give them a negative 5 stars. They never sent me my insurance cards. In fact I never received any correspondence from them. I called them and made a payment because that activates my account status and two weeks later I was cancelled for inactivity and non payment. I, however received an email stating something totally different. They are not worth the trouble.

Eric West Vanceboro, NC

Horrible company. When I went to their website to search for a provider, they gave two choices to select: PPO and some other option. NEITHER was on my card. So, I figured i'd call to understand if my insurance is PPO or the other option. FORGET IT! Their voice prompts ask a million things in order to get to an actual agent. VERY. FRUSTRATING. I told them: PUT THE TYPE OF INSURANCE ON MY CARD! They tried explaining that PPO is the default. FFS. Do they think typing "PPO" on cards is too much ink to pay for!!!?? I wish my employer would drop them.

Sharmere Merriweather Augusta, GA

This company is should be out of business. They really added to my postpartum depression. Put me through a lot to receive my claim while I was out of work and needed to pay my bills. Horrible experience would NEVER recommend them to anyone. Also they have no supervisor that you can speak with to better help you. When I ask for a call back I never got one. Very disappointed.

Carl Fisk Atlanta, GA

This company is a scam. I was with Guardian for over a year, and the credit card I used to pay for it was stolen. I got a new card and cancelled the old one, but Guardian never once got in touch with me to tell me my payment method hasn’t changed. Instead, with no communication, they cancelled my account and put me on the hook for a large dental bill. I even offered to pay retroactively for all the time I missed and they refused. Guardian will do everything they can to take your money, and then they’ll do everything they can to not pay out benefits when the time comes.

Steven White

You should avoid this company at all costs if you are looking for a quality dental insurance company as Guardian is not it. The refused to pay a claim for a crown on a tooth because their dental consultation felt that the "prognosis" for a successful restoration was not high. So they are basically calling the dentist that I have been going to for nearly 20 years as incompetent. An oh by the way, since they are so slow at processing the original claim and my appeal, the crown has been in place now for 6 months and is doing just fine. If you are the benefits coordinator for any company and you care about your employees, stay as far away from this company as you can! Your employees are not going to be satisfied with their poor service and them hiding behind excuses like the opinion of their "dental consultant"!

Meg Green Bedminster, NJ

Ive been covered by this company for less than a month and it has been nothing but problems. -i paid for my first premium in mid november -2 weeks into january i had 0 information— no insurance cards, no emails, nada. -i call customer service, sit on hold for like 15 minutes and i ended up having to just try again later -when i do try again later, i opt for them to call me back rather than sit on hold, i get a call and am immediately hung up on. -i try again and sit on hold, get thru to someone who says theyll transfer me, and as soon as my call is transferred i am once again immediately hung up on -FINALLY i get thru to someone, and sit on the phone with them for 10 minutes trying to figure out why i have no information and am told they cant find an account for me. She asks one more set of questions and miraculously finds it, but my ID number hasnt been generated yet. (Its been TWO MONTHS since i signed up, and we are 2 weeks into my plan) -i ask to verify which email she has on file. To this day i still have 0 emails from this insurance company. -finally, 3 days ago i get letters in the mail from them, including my (sad excuse for) insurance cards, and a bill (which i found out today i cant yet pay bc my account is ‘still being set up’) -i made my online account yesterday and if i try to login on my phone it just brings me back to the home page. -on top of all of this my deductible is not waived for cleanings. I got this plan because when i reviewed my finances for this year i found that id have some extra income, and am paying 2.5x the amount i did last year for my bcbs family grins plan, if im paying this much more why do i not even have a full account set up almost a full month into my coverage? And why doesnt their website seem to work? Ridiculous, esp with the waiting periods i found out i have to deal with. A full YEAR i have to wait if i need major dental care? Im switching from them as soon as humanly possible. The worst experience with insurance ever.

Jake Philomath, OR

Like others here, I have been a victim of Guardian's obvious business plan which it to deny as many claims as possible and then cause endless fatigue for clients through a perpetual appeal process. The unreachable, unnamed "reviewing dentist" will determine that the documentation a dentist properly submits for a crown replacement (in my case) is not adequate to justify the procedure. Guardian Client Support suggests an appeal. Return to "reviewing dentist" step. Eventually the client wears down, the dentist loses patience in providing ever more documentation and the patient pays alone. Guardian's offshore Indian customer agents are sympathetic and happy to pass along the steps needed for another appeal, but are powerless to do anything more. For 15 minutes of 3rd world labor time listening or chatting, Guardian has avoided paying a significant but legitimate dental benefit. This should be explored further by authorities.

NavidadInCO Thornton, CO

If I could rate it a -1, I would. I have bought Dental insurance individually for the last 20-25 years and this is by far the worst company I have dealt with. Every procedure has a lot of small print that will cause them not to pay for it. Our company switched providers 1/1/21 and since then we have heard nothing but complaints! I am out at least $1000 and a coworker has paid over $3000 in dental work that was plain denied. My dentist submitted and resubmitted the work for review and it was denied every single time. What I found out is that they use a separate company to "review" so that they can claim it was not them that denied it. If our company continues to use this option, I will not be taking it next year.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

Guardian seems to be at the top as far as coverage goes. I was disappointed it didnt cover any Ortho service BUT upon looking thru other companies they still have the best coverage so its whatever (most do not cover ortho).

Elizabeth Wall-O'Brien New York, NY

Frustrating: My daugeter needed a root canal. Both she and the dental office made calls to confirm coverage with guardian. In fact, the administrative assistant of the dental office put my daughter on the phone so that both the office and my daughter heard the same message: She was covered in full. When I got a sizeable bill for the procedure, both the office and my daughter called Guardian and were told that no one ever said she was covered in full. We asked them to pull the tapes on the call and they have yet to do so. Both my daugher and the dental office have made calls to request help from a guardian supervisor to no avail. They won't let us hear the correct tape. The dental office staff is our witness as we are for them.