Maybe you need a dental procedure and aren't sure you can pay for it on your own.
Maybe you got your first job with benefits and are trying to choose a dental plan.
Maybe you're on Medicare and your dental needs are growing.
As you start your dental insurance research, you need to understand dental insurance terms, how dental insurance works, and how to evaluate plans. On this list, you'll find helpful articles and resources to help you navigate dental insurance.
Understanding dental insurance
Dental insurance and dental benefit plans have their own terms. It can be difficult to identify a good plan and know what you're getting without understanding these terms. The resources below will introduce you to these terms and help you understand how dental insurance works.
How dental insurance works
- Understanding Your Dental Insurance Plans and Coverage — Steffany Mohan, DDS
- Dental Insurance: What’s Covered, What’s Not — WebMD
- Understanding How Insurance Pays: Types of Coordination of Benefits or COB — eAssist Dental Solutions
Types of dental plans
Medicare and dental insurance
- Medicare Dental Coverage — MedicareFAQ
- Dental Insurance vs. Dental Savings Plans: What’s the Difference? — RetirementLiving
- Dental Services — Medicare.gov
- Does Medicare Cover Dental Work? — WebMD
Enrolling in dental insurance
Once you can understand dental insurance plans, you'll need to evaluate them to find one that fits your budget and covers your dental needs. The resources below will help you evaluate plans and find reliable dental insurance companies.
Tips for deciding whether to buy dental insurance
- Is Dental Insurance Worth It? — Lifehacker
- Should You Purchase Dental Insurance? — Verywell Health
- Is Dental Insurance Worth It? — Millennial Money Man
Tips for finding a good dental plan
- Tips for Choosing the Right Dental Benefits for You — BizJournals
- Top Dental Insurance Companies — Best Company
Tips for seniors
- A Guide To Medicare Dental Coverage — Aging in Place
- Best Dental Insurance for Seniors: Expert Tips and Advice — Best Company
- Best Dental Insurance for Seniors: What Top Companies Offer — Best Company
Maintaining oral health
Whether or not you have dental insurance, maintaining good oral hygiene will help lower your dental costs and keep you healthy. The resources below will help you develop good habits and maintain your dental health.
- Ask the Dentist — AsktheDentist.com
- How Poor Dental Care Can Affect Your Overall Health — Colgate
- What Can Adults Do to Maintain Good Oral Health? — Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Oral Health: Brush Up on Dental Care Basics — Mayo Clinic
Finding affordable care
Even if dental insurance and dental care are beyond what you can afford, you may find other options for getting the care you need. Read the articles below to learn more about your options.
- Where Can I Find Low-cost Dental Care? — U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Free or Low-Cost Dental Care When You’re Uninsured — WebMD
- How to Pay for Dental Care When You Don't Have Insurance — The Ascent