ScoreSense

2.6

Although ScoreSense provides access to fresh credit reports, acceptable monitoring, interesting tools, and well-designed mobile apps, the company also sells customer information, pushes inaccurate credit scores, has a high monthly price, signup issues, and a poor reputation for misleading clients that it just can't seem to shake off.

#1 Credit Karma Logo Credit Karma ›

6.9

Overall
Score

#2 WalletHub Logo WalletHub ›

6.5

Overall
Score

#3 myFICO Logo myFICO ›

5.0

Overall
Score

#13 ScoreSense Logo ScoreSense

2.6

Overall
Score

The Good

• Triple-bureau reports
  • Monitoring
  • Credit score simulator
  • Mobile app

Triple-Bureau Reports

ScoreSense offers solid credit report coverage by providing customers with full access to all three of their credit reports as often as once a month. Unfortunately, the company doesn't automatically pull these reports for its customers; instead, it requires users to either log in and refresh them manually on the website or through the app. Nevertheless, having the option to pull from all three bureaus each month is commendable.

Monitoring

ScoreSense monitors for for the following:

• New accounts opened
  • New derogatory marks
  • New public records
  • New inquiries (when someone applies for credit with your info)
  • Change in personal information (like a new address)

Credit Score Simulator

In addition to a library of basic educational content, ScoreSense provides subscribers with ScoreCast, a credit score simulator powered by CreditXpert that allows customers to see how different actions, such as opening a new account or paying off a credit card, might affect their estimated credit score.

We appreciate the value of these kinds of tools and applaud ScoreSense for including them, but as always, caution users against putting too much stock into them. They help put borrowers on the right track, but the exact numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, as they are provided "for educational purposes" only.

Mobile App

ScoreSense has released a mobile app, entitled Scores To Go, on both the Apple (iPhone and iPad) and Android app stores. It features a slick, mobile design and provides users with access to their credit scores on the go, score tracking over time, and credit tips.

The Bad

• Unclear scoring model
  • High monthly price
  • Information sharing
  • Signup problems
  • Auto-billing trial
  • Legal issues

Unclear Scoring Model

ScoreSense spends a lot of time talking up the importance of knowing your credit score so you can "know how you look to potential lenders, landlords, insurers, and employers" and  have the "score strength to negotiate a great rate on a new car, get the affordable mortgage on your dream home, or qualify for a personal loan". However, it is unclear whether or not ScoreSense uses the FICO scoring model, which is the model taken into consideration by the majority of lenders.

High Monthly Price

At $39.95 per month, ScoreSense's credit monitoring services are the most expensive we've reviewed so far.

Information Sharing

According to ScoreSense's privacy policy, the company has the ability to sell, trade, rent, or otherwise transfer its customers' personal information to others. It is not clear who the company shares information with or for what purpose.

Signup Problems

Some consumers have reported running into bug issues when trying to sign up for ScoreSense's services using the company's website. This can be frustrating for customers.

Auto-Billing Trial

ScoreSense has caught several complaints from people who sign up for a free seven-day trial and then find their credit card automatically being billed at $39.95 per month after the seven days are up without realizing that this is what was going to happen. This auto-billing model can end up costing individuals who do not cancel in time.

Legal Issues

ScoreSense is owned by a company called One Technologies, which was hit by a major FTC Lawsuit after more than 210,000 people complained about it. Many of the complaints alleged that the customer was misled about the price of the product (thinking it was free) before seeing a mysterious "OTL*ScoreSense" charge on their credit card statement each month.

One Technologies faced a judgment and an injunction in November of 2014 for engaging in deceptive business practices with ScoreSense and other similar websites operated by the same company, including FreeScore360.com, FreeScoreOnline.com, etc. The company ended up settling the lawsuit for $22 million on November 19th, 2014.

Although ScoreSense does not engage in this specific practice anymore (the price of the service is clearly printed at the top of each signup page), it tells consumers a lot about the attitude of the company's management towards its customers and may be indicative of other problems clients might face when dealing with them.

The Bottom Line

At this time, we do not recommend ScoreSense. While the company seems to be moving in a new direction, we still do not feel comfortable recommending it to our users due to its checkered history, its high price, its unclear scoring model, and its sharing of personal information.

Jim

October 31st, 2017 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS

What part of "I wish to cancel my account" don't they understand? This is 2017. When a customer says those words, it doesn't mean "Sure, I'll defer my first month's payment and keep my account open", or "Yes, I'll keep my account open for a reduced monthly fee". I was on the phone with a very annoying rep for more than 15 minutes trying to accomplish this simple task. What's more, unknowingly, I was sucked into a monthly fee which showed up on my credit card statement. I asked to have this fee waived, since I was clearly not using their service, but was flatly denied. Bottom line: ScoreSense was trying to embezzle money out of me any way they could. Avoid this scam-fest like the plague.

Tequita

August 14th, 2017 TX

I will NEVER use this company again!! Total rip off you should notify people when the free trial is up and take people's money and even after I fucking agreed to still keep the service after the representatives told me I could have the service for 19.95 then you denied to return my 39.95 back to my account talking a membership I hope nobody uses this company it's a fucking rip off! NEVER again!

Carmen

July 9th, 2017

After calling to cancel my one week free trial, I was offered a reduced monthly which i accepted. They did not inform me that it meant I would also get reduced functionality. Basically I was just left with receiving alerts, which several were incorrect anyway. I've completely canceled my membership now and would warn any new members on verifying what the promotion contains as far as the application functionality. I'm now just using the free app Credit Karma which provides all information needed as well as frequently refreshed credit scores.

Nazyangel

June 3rd, 2017

Misleading and when I called to cancel, they tried in several ways to continue service almost to the point of being harassed. I understand the hard sell but not to such extreme. It's a lengthy process and have to be rerouted a couple of times to get to the right dept.

AllenRichards

April 25th, 2017 Milton, WV

Not a legitimate business.Very deceptive business practices.

Jill Davis

April 5th, 2017 Tellico Plains, TN

I was signed up fraudulently by someone checking my credit rating to see if my identity was worth stealing, I guess. They took 6 payments before my bank mentioned the charges. Said they would help me with the tools "Scoresense" offered and it wouldnt cost me as much. After several phone calls and threats of legal action, they still refuse to return all of my money. I am on SSI and Medicaid. Very limited income and even though they themselves have admitted the account was opened fraudulently, they still won't return my money. Unbelievable! My next call is to the attorney General office. Awful people. Terrible company!

Casino Jack

August 2nd, 2014 Maricopa, AZ

If over paying to see your credit report and taking a look at your current credit scores for nearly $30 a month than do it. If you're only willing to try the trial service than beware that you will get some opposition from them when you call to cancel. I did manage to cancel, got a cancellation number the first time, and received an email cancellation but they didn't make it easy. Their service is more costly and they only update all the credit scores every thirty days.

Lois King

July 6th, 2014 Galveston, TX

I never received a credit score from Scoresense. I canceled an account I never had in the first place and still on the first of the month was charged 29.95. I had tried to get a credit score and it never posted and I never received an email in regards to having an account. They now are refusing to give me a refund. I would not recommend this company. I give them a 0.

isabelcmiller@msn.com

June 28th, 2014 Portland, OR

Yes, I agreed with Beverly. Scoresense is one of the internet scams. Such a robbers!

beverly

June 7th, 2014 Roanoke, VA

This company ss people out of 29.95 a month when they unknowingly sign up by visiting their website. People they have scammed need to get together and file a class action lawsuit against this internet scam called Scoresense

guadalupe baeza

December 13th, 2013 Bakersfield, CA

this company is bad about giving you a refund for 'IDENTITY FRAUD'