Based out of California, Credit Karma has been featured in multiple news articles including MSNBC, SmartMoney, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and TechCrunch.

Beginning with two credit reports and scores, the company brings more transparency and certainty to credit and finance with free credit monitoring services, data-driven resources, and personalized recommendations.

The Good

• Free Services
  • Two Official Credit Reports
  • VantageScore Credit Scores
  • Helpful Alerts
  • Sleek Mobile App
  • Excellent Credit Education
  • Useful Tools

Free Services

Credit Karma's biggest selling point is that its services are free. With no payments required, the company will provide members with access to their credit reports and scores from two of the major credit bureaus, TransUnion and Equifax.

Even more impressive, the company refreshes these reports on a weekly basis.

Two Official Credit Reports

Those who have a Credit Karma account are able to receive updates for their TransUnion and Equifax credit reports every week.

Credit Karma provides users with an easy-to-use interface for navigating and understanding their credit report, including suggestions for improving their credit.

VantageScore Credit Scores

Although CreditKarma, unfortunately, does not provide official FICO scores, the company does provide a VantageScore 3.0 for each credit report.

VantageScore is a newer scoring model that has gained traction but is still not necessarily the most popular or accurate measure of one's creditworthiness. Either way, users can see their VantageScore go up and down over time on well-presented graphs and reports, which can give them an indication as to whether they are on the right track.

Another feature is that users can compare their credit scores to others in their area, age group, and so forth.

Helpful Alerts

Credit Karma provides a fully-configurable alerts panel to notify consumers by email of anything from a change in one of their credit reports to large purchases, withdrawals, interest rate changes, and so forth.

Each time someone logs into their Credit Karma account, they can check for changes on their credit report since the last refresh.

Sleek Mobile App

Credit Karma has a well-designed mobile app for both Android and Apple devices which allows users to access all information on their credit reports, scores, and alerts while on the go.

Excellent Credit Education

Credit Karma maintains an up-to-date, online library of credit-specific educational resources that are well-written, informative, and accurate. Additionally, the company has an active community where users can get advice on all aspects of their credit and scores.

Useful Tools

Credit Karma provides everything from debt repayment and loan calculators to fully-featured credit score simulators powered by TransUnion.

The Credit Score Simulator allows you to see how different decisions, like paying off part of your credit card debt or getting a home loan, might affect your credit score in the future.

The Bad

• Missing Credit Report
  • No FICO Scores
  • Privacy and Security

Missing Credit Report

The service has absolutely no way of pulling a user's credit report from Experian, which is a significant blind spot in any comprehensive credit monitoring strategy.

No FICO Scores

The credit scores provided by Credit Karma aren't true FICO scores, so they aren't the same credit scores most lenders will see when they pull your credit.

There have been reports of Credit Karma's VantageScore being off by as much as 100 points from what a lender saw when they pulled that customer's FICO score from the same bureau.

Privacy and Security

There have been significant privacy questions raised by the FTC in regards to Credit Karma's mobile app not being as secure as the company claimed, resulting in a settlement in 2014, wherein the company agreed to submit to annual independent tests to verify that its apps are secure for the next 20 years.

The Bottom Line

Between the frequent refreshes, lack of membership fees, and helpful educational resources, Credit Karma's approach is unique in the industry and popular amongst its users.

Although Credit Karma does not provide FICO scores and does not give users access to their Experian credit reports, the company does seem to provide enough basic information for users to gauge where they are at and what direction they are going when it comes to credit.

We recommend Credit Karma for those who are tight on cash or are just getting started in learning about credit, as one can save hundreds of dollars on credit monitoring services and learn a substantial amount by using their platform.

Adam W

October 7th, 2019

I have Credi Karma and since using it have increased my score over 100+ points. I've been seriously using it just over a year. I have used it to challenge things on my credit and keep track of everything in one place. A+ in my book and I've never paid them a cent!

Sage Robertson

July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT

I love using credit karma. I track everyday to make sure I am being financially responsible. I like how quick and easy it is to use.

Subzero35

July 9th, 2019 York, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Its free, keeps customers score as close to the actual number as possible, helps keep track of your school so you can see where your excelling and where it needs work. The only downfall is that it should update more often.

Jeremy Balls

June 11th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma gives me credit monitoring for free. I have received free credit monitoring from a few other companies but paid by companies who have had data breaches. Those services do not provide anything better than what Credit Karma provides for free.

Emily Walker

June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that with credit karma they give you a new update of your score every single week. It helps you stay on top of your credit more.

Amanda

May 28th, 2019 Farmington, NY

I love Credit Karma! The email notifications are very useful and I love when my credit score increases they praise me for my hard work.

Nana Asiata

May 20th, 2019 Herriman, UT

Love that credit karma keeps me updated on any changes on my credit report. I can always see what changes were made and what I need to improve on monthly.

Elisa Vakapuna

May 20th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit karma is amazing! We check our credit score and for free! That is amazing!

Emily B.

May 16th, 2019 Provo, UT

Credit Karma does exactly what it says it will do, and I appreciate the quality service that they perform at no cost to the customer.

Tanner Cook

December 15th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit karma makes it pretty easy to monitor your credit and they even have credit cards they recommend based on your credit. It makes montioring your credit pretty easy!

Jorden Laird

December 12th, 2018 Front Royal, VA

for what it is, it's a good easy way to check out some of your credit information - though much like anything else, you have to start paying for any real info

Darius Williams

December 11th, 2018 Alexandria, VA

Really good service to have a general idea of where your credit is at.Not always 100% accurate

Matthew Carbaugh

December 9th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best free credit monitoring app in my opinion. I use it along with a paid credit monitoring service but atcually receive updates sometimes faster through credit karma, and i really like the user friendly & intuitive displays.

Tiffany

December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This website is helping me clean up my credit to buy a home. It makes it easy to read and understand while giving me tips to improve my score. Best part its FREE!!!!

Dee Farquharson

December 5th, 2018 Washington, DC

i love tracking my credit with credit karma. They make it easy and less scary. Also, I appreciate how they break down what's hurting and what's helping your credit. It assists in letting me know how best to pay off my credit cards and reach my goals.

Mia Hernandez

December 5th, 2018 Tempe, AZ

very easy to use app nice to have your credit information at your finger tips love the helpful tips they give to help build your credit as well

edward reese

December 5th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD

easy to use and and sends notifications of changes good bad or other. i love that is always providing suggestions and ways to fix or improve your credit.

Fernando Delgado

December 5th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love using credit Karma it provides your credit rating and list of accounts open very easy to track and alerts you if their is any new activity. They also provide you other options to get a car loan or credit car where they think they can save you money. love their service.

Donna Williams

December 5th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma is a fantastic website with credit monitoring. I turn to them whenever I want to see where my credit is at and what needs to be done to increase my score. Can't go wrong with Credit Karma!

jessica

December 4th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I like credit Karma. People think that their scores are not accurate but in my opinion they are I have a few apps that check your score and they all have the same amount.

Jami Schmieding

December 4th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karama is where I look to see my score once a month. I love how they email me as well so I dont forget to check and stay informed.

Amber

December 4th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Updates from Credit Karma are nice to have to keep up with credit score. The tips they share are helpful as well. And its free

Jeffrey Salas

November 20th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently monitor my credit score through credit karma, I believe this service is genius. They provide 2 credit bureaus for me and give me the ultimate confidence to go into any situation knowing where I will qualify and negotiate with power.

Eric

November 15th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Score, Credit Advice, It's your one stop shop for anything credit. With easy to use interface you cant go wrong. Definitely a fan of this one.

Amber C Frey

November 15th, 2018 San Diego, CA

I'm signed up with Credit Karma and I have no complaints. It's 100% free, and there's really easy access to your credit report as well. Good service.

Kathie Bowman

November 15th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have the credit karma app on my phone and it is so easy to monitor my credit and what is going on with it. It is updated every 7 days so it is always up to date

Randal hyde

November 6th, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit karma ruins your credit score, they sell your information, and they try to charge you for nothing. I do not recommend.

Mitch Krull

November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good for semi accurate monitoring. Don't take it as fact tho. Good tips too on improving score.

Adam B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT

Easy to sign up for and they offer a great monthly over view of my credit. It’s great being able to see my credit score whenever I want to.

Rachel B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’m not sure if I can trust these guys, it seems my score is different every time I check.

Jill B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This site has helped me keep track of my credit score. It updates frequently and provides great info.

Cody Enslow

November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been using their services for free and it’s been really useful since I had some credit issues.

Sam Anders

November 4th, 2018 Orem, UT

Credit Karma has been extremely useful, especially when I first started working on the goal to get my credit back on track. Being able to see what factors that have negatively impacted my credit really helped me in making a plan. I also love that the service is free.

Karen S Priest

November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Credit Karma. It is really accurate and helps me keep appraised of my score. It gives me reports on a regular basis and is up to date.

Tevita

September 24th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Great for wanting to check your credit and not take a hit. It always send emails if something doesn’t look right or score increased. Easy to use app.

mgillings

September 17th, 2018

Easy to use, good information. Helpful reminders to keep your credit up!

Dylan Findlay

August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Great, free service that allows you to see your credit score and get reports. Easy to use and helpful!

Mali

August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

waste of money for a fake credit score. don't waste your time and money.

Jr

August 26th, 2018 Orem, UT

Credit Karma gave me a false credit score. i didn't find out until i went to apply for a car loan and it was a lot higher than what Credit Karma gave me. i was not happy at all.

Meliame Selu

August 25th, 2018 Layton, UT

I love how I get emails how my credit is doing. Good updates but not sure how accurate.

NT

August 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

got my credit score in minutes. quick and easy process. straight to the point. and it was very cheap to get my score.

Mallory Millett

August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

LOVE Credit Karma. It let's me see an estimate of my credit score any time I want to and gives me pro tips for how to make my credit go up. It has really helped me get on top of my credit.

Catherine Taliulu

August 19th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

The mobile app has made it easy and convenient for me to keep track of my credit. It also helps me with it’s different service on how to maintain good credit.

Carolynn

August 19th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Signed up for Credit Karma and it has been very helpful in trying to get things paid off to help build credit.

jordan cummins

August 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Always easy to use and hasn't been wrong yet. Like that its free and easy to use.

Robert

July 30th, 2018 Washington, MI

They have been great with us for the last 10 years, they locked us out of our account after someone tried to hack there way in. So neither of us could get in but after sending in copies of water bills, etc. we just changed passwords. Due to the Equifax data breach we have watches on savings, checking, etc. You set the limit and they inform you of activity. I find this company fantastic and highly recommend it. It also shows all the factors that influence your credit worthiness.

Sandra Jensen

July 29th, 2018 American Fork, UT

Appreciate their keeping me informed about my credit score.

Taylor Vance

July 25th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Real easy to use interface. Gives you doable activities to raise your credit score. Good info on there.

Spencer Hodgson

July 18th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

This is the best tool in my opinion for checking your credit. They check your credit on two of the three credit bureaus and you can check your credit as much as you want for free and it won't damage your score.

Jim Stewart

July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very handy service. Monthly monitor update is very helpful. I have worked hard for years to have a great credit score. Credit karma is a help to monitor my accounts for accuracy.