Based out of California, Credit Karma has been featured in multiple news articles including MSNBC, SmartMoney, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and TechCrunch. Beginning with two credit reports and scores, the heart of personal finance, the company brings more transparency and certainty to credit and finance with free monitoring, data-driven resources, and personalized recommendations.

View Best Credit Monitoring Companies

#1 Identity Guard chevron_right
3.2
#2 Lex OnTrack chevron_right
4.9
#3 ScoreSense chevron_right
3.5

The Good

• Price
  • Two Official Credit Reports
  • Credit Scores
  • Alerts
  • Sleek Mobile App
  • Excellent Credit Education
  • Helpful Tools

Price

Credit Karma's biggest selling point is that it is free. With no payments required, it will provide members with unlimited free access to their credit reports from two of the major credit bureaus, TransUnion and Equifax. Even more impressive, the company refreshes these reports on a weekly basis.

Two Official Credit Reports

Those who have a Credit Karma account are able to receive updates for their TransUnion and Equifax credit reports every week. Credit Karma provides users with an easy-to-use interface for navigating and understanding their credit report, including suggestions for improving their credit.

Credit Scores

Although CreditKarma, unfortunately, does not provide official FICO scores, the company does provide a VantageScore 3.0 for each credit report. VantageScore is a newer scoring model that has gained traction but is still not necessarily the most popular or accurate measure of one's creditworthiness. Either way, you can see your VantageScore go up and down over time on well-presented graphs and reports, which can give you an indication as to whether you're on the right track. Another cool feature is that you can actually compare your credit scores to others in your area, age group, and so forth.

Alerts

Credit Karma provides a fully-configurable alerts panel to notify you by email of anything from a change in one of your credit reports to large purchases, withdrawals, interest rate changes, and so forth. Every time you log into your account, you can check for changes on your credit report since the last refresh.

Sleek Mobile App

Credit Karma has a well-designed mobile app for both Android and Apple devices which allows you to access all information on your credit reports, scores, and alerts while on the go. According to the Credit Karma website, "if you notice an error on your TransUnion report, you can submit a dispute without leaving Credit Karma."

Excellent Credit Education

Credit Karma maintains an up-to-date library of credit-specific educational resources that are well-written, informative, and accurate. Additionally, the company has an active community where you can get advice on all aspects of your credit and scores.

Helpful Tools

Credit Karma provides everything from debt repayment and loan calculators to fully-featured credit score simulators powered by TransUnion. The Credit Score Simulator allows you to see how different decisions, like paying off part of your credit card debt or getting a home loan, might affect your credit score in the future.

The Bad

• Missing Credit Report
  • No FICO Scores
  • Privacy and Security

Missing Credit Report

The service has absolutely no way of pulling your credit report from Experian, which is a significant blind spot in any comprehensive credit monitoring strategy.

No FICO Scores

The credit scores provided by Credit Karma aren't true FICO scores, so they aren't the same credit scores most lenders will see when they pull your credit. There have been reports of Credit Karma's VantageScore being off by as much as 100 points from what a lender saw when they pulled that customer's FICO score from the same bureau.

Privacy and Security

There have been significant privacy questions raised by the FTC in regards to Credit Karma's mobile app not being as secure as the company claimed, resulting in a settlement in 2014, wherein the company agreed to submit to annual independent tests to verify that its apps are secure for the next 20 years.

The Bottom Line

Between the frequent refreshes, lack of membership fees, and helpful educational resources, Credit Karma's approach is unique in the industry and popular amongst its users. The company provides enough information to gauge where you're at and what direction you're going, giving full access to your credit reports at absolutely no cost. For these reasons, we recommend Credit Karma for those who are tight on cash or are just getting started in learning about credit, as one can save hundreds of dollars on credit monitoring services and learn a substantial amount by using their platform.

View Best Credit Monitoring Companies

James Conder

February 7th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

I created a Credit Karma account years ago when they 1st came out. They have been amazing at keeping track of my loans and credit score as well as inform me of any increase or decrease in credit score. I think this year we are going to try the new Tax Refund they offer

Morgan Glaze

February 6th, 2020 Herndon, VA

I love credit karma! II use this app almost every day, but definitely every week. It is such a helpful tool and well designed. Great product!

Jamaar Nelson

February 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

Credit Karma is one of my favorite companies when it comes to monitoring our credit. It not only allows me to keep up with my credit score but it implements other methods that allows me to keep my credit score up.

Eddie Rios

February 5th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Simply one of the best online credit monitoring services out there: Credit Karma. So helpful in improving credit, identifying issues, valuable risk alerts-Credit Karma has simply become invaluable and necessary. If you value smart...then Credit Karma is a must.

terryjamison

February 5th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

Credit Karma helps me monitor my credit the best! They give me fast and easy access to my credit score and never share it! The costumer service is very nice!

Makayla Manus

February 4th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

Great credit finder. It's ways so quick, efficient, and correct. It's also really easy to use.

Danielle Powell

February 2nd, 2020 Long Beach, MS

Free service with monthly checks. Helps you find better credit card offers as well. Able to quickly raise score

Shay

February 1st, 2020 Menifee, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not a huge fan. The numbers aren’t very accurate compared to the real score. Wish it was closer to the real numbers

Lawrence Lee

January 31st, 2020 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used to work at a bank and Credit Karma by far was the most reliable source to help customers learn about credit, track their credit, and get great deals on rewards credit cards. I like Credit Karma for its ease and simplicity. They do the job of helping people figure out what they need to do and to spot irregularities in their credit history to dispute. I'm not sure how this will change with the new updates happening to FICO scores though! What's more is that the service is free!

Erika Shumway

January 29th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love credit karma! It allows me to check my credit score at anytime of the day with no charge. It also gives me suggestions of how to improve my credit score and shows me new credit cards I can get approved for. It is very helpful and reliable.

Justin McMurtrey

January 29th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma is great, especially for mostly free service. It helps me keep up on my credit score and when it adjust whiteout wrecking my credit.

Taylor Walker

January 25th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

Credit karma is very good with helping you keep track of your credit score. It gives you updates often and they give you lots of helpful advice on building your credit.

Madison Kneiss

January 25th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love getting emails from my account when my score goes up or down. They are sure to notify you as soon as a change has happened.

Allison Campbell

January 24th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit karma helped me raised my credit score and build differnt types of cerdit. I was also lucky to get a line of cerdit due to my payment history.

Oksana masi

January 23rd, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

Free credit checks! They keep me in check! Definitely is a MUST use, what other way is better?

Rai Durant

January 22nd, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Free credit score check AT ANY TIME with no fees! That is literally the best it can get! They've helped me boost my credit with their helpful tips! I LOVE Credit Karma

Nancy Paugh

January 21st, 2020 Long Beach, MS

Easy to use. Sends out alerts if any changes to credit. Offers options on credit cards and loans. Help you plan any future purchase options.

ChanceyParker

January 19th, 2020 Jackson, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They do great at keeping you up to date with emails on if your credit changes even the slightest.

Eriel Joyner

January 17th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

I love credit karma. No hidden fees, nothing. Free and accurate. So convenient i love them.

SkylarPickens

January 15th, 2020 Houston, TX

Credit Karma helped me check my credit score in less than 3 minutes!! Honestly the best!

Julie Martin

January 15th, 2020 Miami, FL

I recommend everyone get credit karma. It is invaluable information that is totally free. Definitely a game changer, in that I can get monthly updates on my score.

Laurie Massie

January 13th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma has helped me keep an eye on my credit score for the last year- after I did some major restructuring. Really beneficial.

Michael Burkett

January 13th, 2020 Norcross, GA

Free credit checker. Trustworthy, no virus, and amazing provider for people who couldn’t get a checkup on their credit score.

Rebecca Harvey

January 11th, 2020 Long Beach, MS

I love monitoring my credit score through Credit Karma. Weekly email updates and tracking my spending are perks too!

DAVID HADAWAY

January 10th, 2020 Long Beach, MS

Love the ability Credit Karma gives me to keep an eye on my credit score. The tools they provide allow me to better monitor my financial habits and enable me to make more intelligent decisions.

Deanna Bernard

January 10th, 2020 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great way to see your credit score without it lowering. There’s also a mobile app for credit karma which you can just check on a daily how your scores is doing and what inquiries you’ve made under your name.

Ashley Smith

January 10th, 2020 Jacksonville, FL

It is completely free and allows to keep track of your score. It does not change your score. And once you start making progress, they help build on that growth with helpful tips.

J. Whelan

January 9th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best credit monitoring and it's free! I get emails letting me know when my score has changed, Information on how to get better my score, offers from likely financial companies. It even let's me know when a due date is coming up. I can't believe it's free. I highly recommend Credit Karma.

Derrian

January 5th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This app has saved my life! I am young and I never knew how important my credit score is and what it means in life. Having this app on my phone has allowed me to stay alert for criminals, who often steal other people's identity. It also lets me know what exactly is on my credit report so I can know what I owe or if something is incorrect. Credit Karma is the most accurate credit score app that I have, and they always notify me when something new has popped up on her report.

Erin Bengtzen

December 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

keeps me updated on any changes to my credit. lists what i can to do improve my credit, which is helpful

Juan

December 4th, 2019 Beaver, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love credit Karma! They are free and you can see and track your credit score. It also tells you how certain things affect your score. I highly recommend for anyone that wants to keep their credit in the green..

Michelle W

November 27th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

I love Credit Karma because it links to my credit card account, so with a click of a button I can instantly see my current credit score and that last six months. It's a wonderful tool to have.

Lily

November 24th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using Credit Karma. They don’t ruin my credit when I check it. It shows me exactly what my credit score is.

Amy Fulmer

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA

Very self explanatory and informative. Tells you exactly where you stand and what you need to do to improve your score.

Nathan D.

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma helped me build my credit over 100 points with helpful tips to help me out and I appreciate them.

Mike Gourley

November 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

Very helpful, accurate, trustworthy. They are very prompt in sending notices about changes.

Melanie

November 10th, 2019 Rio Rancho, NM

Love everything about credit Karma! I get a monthly email so I remember to check my credit score, notices on any changes, and this has enabled me to improve my credit over the past three years.

Mellissa

November 9th, 2019 Greeneville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been using credit karma for quite a few years now and it has helped me monitor and help pay debts.

Gizem I

November 4th, 2019 San Mateo, CA

I have been a Credit Karma user for many years. So, when they announced their new Savings Account offering I jumped on it. Only to get an error at completion "We weren’t able to create your account. Sorry for any inconvenience. Please check that your account and application information is correct. Thank you for your interest in Credit Karma Savings!". I contacted the customer service department to get a better understanding of the error and what I might have missed in my application. Response I received "We do not have any specific details on the exact reason why; all we can tell you is that you will be unable to open a Savings account." If you do not have the infrastructure ready, do not release an offering.. This customer service interaction was insufficient and unhelpful. I am sure with a better question re-routing in place, I and the customer service rep could have wasted a lot less time.

Tom M

November 4th, 2019 Holmdel, NJ

I signed up with Credit Karma and I am very happy I did. For years I was not sure if should. I was concerned that it could affect my credit score. I find it to be an easy way to monitor my credit score. They have a lot of helpful tips on the website.

Ed Clark

October 9th, 2019 Mesa, AZ

I have a credit karma account and I specially like the ability that I have the ability to check my credit score frequently.

bailey jo

October 9th, 2019 Orem, UT

Love Credit Karma. They've helped us to be able to build and monitor our credit once we got married and got our first credit card and bought our first card. They were very helpful to suggest cards that were best for us and very easy to use.

October 8th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We tried if for my mom when her credit card information was compromised at a car rental companies place not the best on the market.

Adam W

October 7th, 2019

I have Credi Karma and since using it have increased my score over 100+ points. I've been seriously using it just over a year. I have used it to challenge things on my credit and keep track of everything in one place. A+ in my book and I've never paid them a cent!

Sage Robertson

July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT

I love using credit karma. I track everyday to make sure I am being financially responsible. I like how quick and easy it is to use.

Subzero35

July 9th, 2019 York, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Its free, keeps customers score as close to the actual number as possible, helps keep track of your school so you can see where your excelling and where it needs work. The only downfall is that it should update more often.

Jeremy Balls

June 11th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma gives me credit monitoring for free. I have received free credit monitoring from a few other companies but paid by companies who have had data breaches. Those services do not provide anything better than what Credit Karma provides for free.

Emily Walker

June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that with credit karma they give you a new update of your score every single week. It helps you stay on top of your credit more.

Amanda

May 28th, 2019 Farmington, NY

I love Credit Karma! The email notifications are very useful and I love when my credit score increases they praise me for my hard work.

Nana Asiata

May 20th, 2019 Herriman, UT

Love that credit karma keeps me updated on any changes on my credit report. I can always see what changes were made and what I need to improve on monthly.