MasterCard Logo

MasterCard

6.2

Mastercard has a very unique place in the banking and financial industry because the company is not the actual issuer of its services. Instead, MasterCard is more of a third party that helps banks or credit unions provide services to members. As a company, MasterCard is always innovating and working to improve the technologies offered. Over its fifty-year history, that spirit of improvement has led to some of today's most commonly used services, like Master Pass. Many banks and other financial institutions have trusted MasterCard to provide quality credit cards and services to help the members to have the best experience possible.

The Good

• Large selection of cards
  • Rewards programs
  • Mobile payment options

Large Selection of Cards

MasterCard's unique place in the financial industry as a provider and not an actual issuer allows it to offer a very wide selection of options. There are several credit cards available through MasterCard, which is a great benefit to potential MasterCard customers as most financial institutions only offer two to four credit card options. With all of these options, customers can find the card that will fit their needs best and then find a financial institution that offers that specific card.

Rewards Programs

The credit cards offered by MasterCard come in a very wide selection of options. One way that issuers and customers can customize the experience that they have with their credit cards is through the rewards programs. Since there are so many different card options, customers can choose what they want out of a rewards program. Available rewards include cash back, merchandise, travel miles, hotel vouchers, and more. There are also cards that have fixed reward earning categories and others that allow the customer to earn points through any purchase.

Mobile Payment Options

A popular new form of technology throughout the financial industry is digital wallet service, which is when the customer does not have to have their credit card physically present with them at the time of purchase. Instead, they can use their mobile device loaded with all of the credit card information and software necessary to make purchases. MasterCard has taken part in this innovation and offers several digital wallet solutions to its customers. Customers can use Apple Pay, Android Pay, Microsoft Pay, or Samsung Pay in conjunction with their MasterCard credit card. The company has also developed several security measures to make this new technology even more safe and convenient to use.

The Bad

• Issuers
  • Consistency

Issuers

The main issue that customers will face when trying to obtain a credit card through MasterCard is that the company is not actually a credit card issuer. This means that customers cannot obtain a card through MasterCard but have to go through a separate third party financial institution, whether it be a major bank or a credit union. MasterCard only offers its credit cards to those institutions, who then offer them to customers. This can create problems if a customer is a member of a credit union that does not subscribe to MasterCard credit cards because they will either have to settle for a different card or become a member of a different institution, which can be a hassle.

Consistency

Since MasterCard credit cards are offered all across the globe by a wide variety of carriers, there is little consistency in the services offered. MasterCard has set services and products that are offered through the company itself that cannot be changed by the provider. However, the exact terms and policies used in conjunction with these credit cards are different depending on who the issuer is for the specific card. Each company does things a little differently, making it difficult for customers to keep up with how their MasterCard credit card is to be used.

The Bottom Line

Since Mastercard is not hindered by the typical limitations of a financial institution, the company can offer an even wider selection of card options. The company's rewards programs, security features, rates, and other features span a wide range that will fit most customers' needs in some way or another. However, the downside to MasterCard credit cards is that they are issued by a variety of other financial institutions, so customers will either be limited to the card that their bank or credit union offers or they will have to become a member of the institution that does offer the card they want.

Harry ALLEN Williams Bainbridge, IN

I lower my credit card from 10,000 to 1000 because of fraudulent activity on my account. This was my idea not the card. I wanted to take my limit to 5000. They would not do it. Answer I missed too many payment. Checking on this, there were no late payments. I paid a few on line which took them a few days but their records show non late in over 36 months. Credit rating around 720, Have a loan for furnace and everything else paid off.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

I have been using MasterCard since I first got a Credit Card. I have only had one issue where my card account was hacked. The customer service knocked it out before it got out of hand and made sure the funds were returned quickly. I did have to pay a small fee for the funds to get returned, but it was not anything detrimental to the account or my financials.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

We have the Venture One Mastercard. We received 0% introductory rate for 18 months which is longer than most introductory rates. We get unlimited 1.25 miles per dollar on every purchase we make each day. Some hotels we even get 10x the miles. This has been a trusted company for us through Capital One. I trust Mastercard and the security it gives me on all my purchases.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have a MasterCard that I use for convenient purposes. They are accepted everywhere and I haven't been somewhere were I haven't been able to use it. Good interest rate that is manageable and even better if I can pay if off monthly. no annual fee, another big plus. Who hasn't had a mastercard and one time or another. They are another option of managing spending and convenience of pay.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Having a variety of MasterCard accounts, its hard to fathom american retail life without them . They are safe to use, economical, and service is always available. I can't see going anywhere with MasterCard.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I currently have a master card debit card. It works everywhere and just like they advertise. When I call for customer service they are polite and intelligent. I would recommend this to anyone.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We use Mastercard for our business accounts at work and it's always been easy to adjust credit limits and get new accounts set up. We've never had an issue with submitting payments.

Syl North Port, FL

I've been a MasterCard user for many years. It is accepted everywhere. My favorite card when I travel outside the US, because is more common in Europe continents. For security reasons, I call customer service to notify them that I will be using the card in another country and how long I will be there. The customer service is excellent.

Ellen Morris Potomac, MD

I am loving my mastercard credit card through Apple! It is giving me great rewards and i love how reliable it is. I also really appreciate the no international fee mastercard offers because unlike competitors, they are widely accepted outside of the United States.

Joe Bateman Port Coquitlam, BC

Great travel rewards card. Used it for years and enjoy the benefits across the board.

MattB American Fork, UT

Several of my favorite credit cards are Mastercards. It’s a card and company I trust. I feel they value their cardholders and are committed to great customer service and reliability.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

We have a Capital One MasterCard and it is our credit card of choice. It is accepted everywhere we go. It is easy to use for travel, even International travel. I like their additional protection and services against fraud.

Rushie Gregory Pleasant Grove, UT

My work uses MasterCard for our pay cards and I've only had good experiences with them. It's helpful that it's not a super long process to access card settings, and it's a secure system.

nathan brewer Lehi, UT

My credit card provider just switched to MasterCard and I was very worried it wouldn't be as easy to use as my last card. I have found it just as easy to use and have not been denied anywhere I have tried it.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

I use my MasterCard for purchases at a clothing store that gives me cash back if I use it. I live that fact that purchases I would normally make are giving me gift cards to purchase things from their store.

Jerry Klepadlo Brentwood, NY

I fly very often. Gaining points and converting those points to free flights is amazing and saves my family a lot of money.

Benjamin LeBlanc Dallas, TX

I couldn’t be more satisfied with my experience with Master Card enough. I’ve lost my card several times and each time their customer service has been outstanding.

Michelle Schow Saratoga Springs, UT

MasterCard is accepted at most stores and I’ve even used it internationally (just make sure to call and notify them if you are traveling so your card doesn’t get blocked).

Virginia Rosenthal Pleasant Grove, UT

I use my MasterCard credit card for my health savings account. I've never had any major issues with the card. There was one time it didn't work so I called customer service and go the issue quickly resolved.

Larson Riverton, UT

We have had MasterCard for a few months now and it seems like they’ve struggled getting things correct. I’ve had to spend a lot of time working out mistakes.

Rathan Kumar Trabuco Canyon, CA

My mastercard works almost flawlessly, (save for a few locations here and there). Overall a great card that I can rely on.

Myken Salt Lake City, UT

I have several MasterCard credit cards and love that they are accepted everywhere. It's a name I can trust and count on.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

My company credit card is thru MasterCard. My biggest gripe is that Costco doesn’t take MasterCard. So annoying since I make lots of purchases there. I would give 5 stars if MasterCard was accepted in more places.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

I have a Citizens cash back mastercard and it was the first credit card that I obtained. I have never had any security issues with this card.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

Love our MasterCard and we have never had any problems of any kind. Also, love that we can use it whenever we have traveled outside the country.

Don Boren American Fork, UT

I had a Cabela's mastercard and I really enjoyed the rewards program for that particular card. I got good value for the money I spent on purchases

Darrin Henry Pleasant Grove, UT

I love have a Mastercard for my Smiths account especially now since Visa isn't taken everywhere and I get valued benefits at my grocery store.

Ron Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

Love my MasterCard and the service I get from them. I have always been a big AE user but I now have become a loyal customer to MasterCard because of their support and fairness.

April Lord

I have had no problem with them. If I ever had a questions about it, they were there to answer it.

Janice Williams Baltimore, MD

Masterdard is the best for me if I have problems with anything . I call the company they help me.

Jon Robinson Riverton, UT

MasterCard has always been dependable. It is nice to have a card that is accepted at most stores and retailers.

Tony Riverton, UT

Use a Mastercard for work purchases and it's pretty much accepted everywhere. Customer service is also good with the particular card I have.

Dave Ros Pleasant Grove, UT

I use the MasterCard brand for my HSA card. I have never had an issue with using the card. The processing of charges works well.

Jean Mancil Fort Worth, TX

The ONLY thing that is a dislike is the charge when I use it in another country!

adrian irish Rutland, VT

milestone card - service and flexibility plus ease of payment.

Carol Carlson Athol, MA

They have helped me when I had a problem with efficiency and understanding.

Todd Homitz Evans City, PA

Great card but I haven't found them to have the greatest rewards program so I no longer have a card.

Helen Macfarlane Pleasant Grove, UT

I use my MasterCard every day and have never had a single problem. Reliable, easy, and convenient!

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

years ago we had a mastercard. They were great to work with but we closed the account to have fewer credit cards.

Dale L Farmer Littleton, CO

This has been a good card to have for my business. It is accepted at so many places.