Best Company Guarantee MasterCard Logo

MasterCard

6.7

LAST UPDATED: September 16th, 2022

Mastercard has a very unique place in the banking and financial industry because the company is not the actual issuer of its services. Instead, MasterCard is more of a third party that helps banks or credit unions provide services to members. As a company, MasterCard is always innovating and working to improve the technologies offered. Over its fifty-year history, that spirit of improvement has led to some of today's most commonly used services, like Master Pass. Many banks and other financial institutions have trusted MasterCard to provide quality credit cards and services to help the members to have the best experience possible.

The Good

• Large selection of cards
  • Rewards programs
  • Mobile payment options

Large Selection of Cards

MasterCard's unique place in the financial industry as a provider and not an actual issuer allows it to offer a very wide selection of options. There are several credit cards available through MasterCard, which is a great benefit to potential MasterCard customers as most financial institutions only offer two to four credit card options. With all of these options, customers can find the card that will fit their needs best and then find a financial institution that offers that specific card.

Rewards Programs

The credit cards offered by MasterCard come in a very wide selection of options. One way that issuers and customers can customize the experience that they have with their credit cards is through the rewards programs. Since there are so many different card options, customers can choose what they want out of a rewards program. Available rewards include cash back, merchandise, travel miles, hotel vouchers, and more. There are also cards that have fixed reward earning categories and others that allow the customer to earn points through any purchase.

Mobile Payment Options

A popular new form of technology throughout the financial industry is digital wallet service, which is when the customer does not have to have their credit card physically present with them at the time of purchase. Instead, they can use their mobile device loaded with all of the credit card information and software necessary to make purchases. MasterCard has taken part in this innovation and offers several digital wallet solutions to its customers. Customers can use Apple Pay, Android Pay, Microsoft Pay, or Samsung Pay in conjunction with their MasterCard credit card. The company has also developed several security measures to make this new technology even more safe and convenient to use.

The Bad

• Issuers
  • Consistency

Issuers

The main issue that customers will face when trying to obtain a credit card through MasterCard is that the company is not actually a credit card issuer. This means that customers cannot obtain a card through MasterCard but have to go through a separate third party financial institution, whether it be a major bank or a credit union. MasterCard only offers its credit cards to those institutions, who then offer them to customers. This can create problems if a customer is a member of a credit union that does not subscribe to MasterCard credit cards because they will either have to settle for a different card or become a member of a different institution, which can be a hassle.

Consistency

Since MasterCard credit cards are offered all across the globe by a wide variety of carriers, there is little consistency in the services offered. MasterCard has set services and products that are offered through the company itself that cannot be changed by the provider. However, the exact terms and policies used in conjunction with these credit cards are different depending on who the issuer is for the specific card. Each company does things a little differently, making it difficult for customers to keep up with how their MasterCard credit card is to be used.

The Bottom Line

Since Mastercard is not hindered by the typical limitations of a financial institution, the company can offer an even wider selection of card options. The company's rewards programs, security features, rates, and other features span a wide range that will fit most customers' needs in some way or another. However, the downside to MasterCard credit cards is that they are issued by a variety of other financial institutions, so customers will either be limited to the card that their bank or credit union offers or they will have to become a member of the institution that does offer the card they want.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Mary Ellen Lee Gilbert, AZ

I love my MasterCard! We get a lot of benefits, the customer service is great, and they are so proactive with suspicious activity. We have no complaints!

Jenny Hite Kansas City, MO

I have used Master Card in the past and have started using it again. I re-started with a promotional for transfer from any other card with no fee, other than a % of the transfer amount. It feels great to finally see my credit debt shrinking!

J B

I’ve had a Mastercard for many years. The interest rate is kind of high considering my credit score is 840. I get points for purchases that can be used to get gift cards. The customer service is good. Disputes for unauthorized charges or fraudulent use are dealt with in a timely fashion.

Patsy Mann Alexander City, AL

Have gotten great service with them. Staff is always very helpful, friendly, respectful of my problems always ready to go to all lengths to help me. Very understanding when problems occur.

Jnt_421 Bethel Park, PA

I have an account with MC and I am pleased with my account and my service. I have not had much, if any, interaction with customer service since opening the account, but that's a good thing because I haven't had the need to contact customer service. MC is a good card to have and most places accept MC.

Russell Stence Rochester, NY

I have used several Mastercards over many years, and have been happy with each of them. They are accepted almost everywhere and have allowed me to conveniently make purchases at home or when traveling. They have also been convenient in terms of online and phone purchases, as well as conducting any necessary business (including paying bills) online.

Josh Cobb Shelbyville, TN

MasterCard is a good card. It's nice to have it when you need money it can be a credit or debit card. The raits aren't too high

Stoney Blazer Republic, MO

It's a debit card and I'm finding that it is no l9nger supported by a majority of services. What started as convenient has become very inconvenient. I used it for auto pay bills and auto pay is no longer supported al9ng with several other options.

Rebekah Cothren Fleetwood, NC

I have several cards in my wallet and I probably use this one the most! I always know it’ll be accepted no matter where I go. Good fraud protection and great customer service!

Anoushka Ahuja Lecanto, FL

Mastercard is accepted at all the locations all around the world. On my last trip to India I called them right before my trip gave them my travel dates and I told them that they will see charges on my card from India and they made a note on my account and were very pleasant to talk to

Judy Fred Narragansett, RI

You see that double circle logo of MasterCard at every store, restaurant, and online because it is the most trusted credit card around. I know I'll never be jammed up because MasterCard is accepted everywhere. The customer service is amazing, and I know I'm protected against fraud if my card is lost or stolen. I love my MasterCard(s).

David Drake Shelbyville, IN

Nice to use just check the interest rate and sometimes you can get promotions will you can do it with a lower rate for so many months to help you ketchup on your bills or when you're out buying Christmas gifts or birthday gifts

Steve Harris Gonzales, LA

I have 2 MasterCards. I've had both cards for a number of years and have never had a single negative issue with either card. Every time I have ever called them they have taken very good care of me. For example, one of the things I really like is their fraud department keeps close watch of my cards and contacts me when they suspect something looks out of the ordinary. It's good to know they are taking care of things.

Aujana Denver, CO

Really good card to use. Killer customer service used there cards plenty of times. They are easy to set up and use.

Angie Smith Price, UT

I began Mastercard with a prepaid debit card, then when I received a credit card, it was perfect in every way. I highly recommend Mastercard.

Connor Smith Palm City, FL

I have held several master card credit cards. I enjoy the cash back rewards and the attentive customer service. Also enjoy the ease of access when checking my statement and paying my bill online.

J. D. Maney Pensacola, FL

I have had a number of MasterCard accounts over the past 25 years, and have always been able to rely on them when I have needed to use one. They have always been up front about their policies, and I appreciate that! They rank very highly in my estimation of GREAT companies!

Andrea Thomas Richland, WA

A few of our credit cards over the last couple decades have been MasterCards. They are being accepted more regularly which is great! In fact, my MC cards are typically the best in rewards! I love using them for every day purchases so I get the best rewards. No problems when talking with customer service either!

Lorraine Z New Orleans, LA

Customer service is very helpful. They are always polite and ready to help when I need them

Samantha Rivera Colorado Springs, CO

Never had any issues with the Master card, Always kept my account current

Rebekah Smith Rock Hill, SC

They are the best card service I have had and take extra security steps for protection

Harry ALLEN Williams Bainbridge, IN

I lower my credit card from 10,000 to 1000 because of fraudulent activity on my account. This was my idea not the card. I wanted to take my limit to 5000. They would not do it. Answer I missed too many payment. Checking on this, there were no late payments. I paid a few on line which took them a few days but their records show non late in over 36 months. Credit rating around 720, Have a loan for furnace and everything else paid off.

Kaylee Lapinskie Foley, AL

I have been a customer for many years. Always great experiences with their customer service when we are traveling and have a card expedited due to a scratch. They are quick to notify us if they see any type of fraud issue.

Khadija Kachwala London, ON

I've been using MasterCard since years now and have no complaints. Most of my cards with the company have some form of rewards or cashback available so more value for me! Keep up the good work!

Jaelyn Morris Havana, FL

I have never had any problems with my MasterCard. I like that on several of my cards I can get cash back rewards with certain purchases to get discounts later. I would apply for more Mastercard credit cards if I needed them.

Judith Czerniak Loveland, CO

My experience using Mastercard cards through my credit union has been positive. Fraudulent use of my card was discovered quickly and the matter cleared, without detriment to my credit.

corrinna oandasan Kailua-Kona, HI

loved that it is excepted everywhere so that gives me a peace of mind when ever I use m card. if I have a concern my preference is to use the online services that seems to be the ffaster way to go

Michael Surber Memphis, TN

I love that Mastercard can be used just about anywhere some places don't accept them but that's very few. Customer service can sometimes be a pain depending on what representative you get other than that they are a good company to go through.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I have had my mastercard for about 2 years and i've never had a single issue with it. The benefits are quite nice and customer service has always kindly answered any questions I had.

Luke Swierczynski Waterford, MI

Although Mastercard isn't as readily taken anymore especially since the Costco/Master card relationship ended. I still find myself using them because of the great rewards I'm offered at places they're accepted.

Fanisha Houston, TX

Great card. Able to use it nationwide wherever I go.

Scott Young Boston, MA

A great money management card. Fraud protection is outstanding.

Ludrick Donovan Orlando, FL

I recommend MasterCard everywhere for everyone and it's accepted practically every where

Sherry Walker Gardner, MA

Never had a problem with my card except when it faded and had to get a new one

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

I have been using MasterCard since I first got a Credit Card. I have only had one issue where my card account was hacked. The customer service knocked it out before it got out of hand and made sure the funds were returned quickly. I did have to pay a small fee for the funds to get returned, but it was not anything detrimental to the account or my financials.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

We have the Venture One Mastercard. We received 0% introductory rate for 18 months which is longer than most introductory rates. We get unlimited 1.25 miles per dollar on every purchase we make each day. Some hotels we even get 10x the miles. This has been a trusted company for us through Capital One. I trust Mastercard and the security it gives me on all my purchases.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have a MasterCard that I use for convenient purposes. They are accepted everywhere and I haven't been somewhere were I haven't been able to use it. Good interest rate that is manageable and even better if I can pay if off monthly. no annual fee, another big plus. Who hasn't had a mastercard and one time or another. They are another option of managing spending and convenience of pay.

April Simpson Fayetteville, NC

I only have 1 Mastercard and I love it. Rates are low and so is my monthly payment

ROBESONIA PARKER Dover, PA

Master card is a special kind of credit card. They are very helpful and can provide you with very high quality services.

shirell West Haven, CT

i can use it anywhere and it doesnt subract what i dont have so im not charged later for having not enough funds awesomeeeee

James Richards Las Vegas, NV

Mastercard i use it everyday , anywhere , and great service. I love using my card that way I don't carry cash, and I get a statement to keep track of my spending

Sheryl S. Toronto, ON

While I appreciate that Mastercard is accepted almost everywhere, including Costco, I am annoyed that Costco purchases only every qualify for the lowest reward points on every Mastercard reward card. It is very surprising that the Costco Mastercard is no different.It is my understanding that this is because of the way Mastercard categorizes Costco and not the way the rewards programs are structured.

Kara Wain Bonifay, FL

MasterCard allowed me to open a credit card easily and helps me keep track of my score and balances. Any issues I had were quickly helped and dealt with from employees.

Trisha Ross Shelby, MI

My husband and I Mastercard with our credit union and had never had any issues with it. I lost it once and they cancelled it in a timely manner. Wonderful Customer Service.

Vy Ha Tallahassee, FL

Very convenient to transfer money back and forth to and from my account. The bank also made it a point to not charge me for tra as actions I did not authorize and I got it fixed in a timely manner

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

This is a target mastercard. I like the 5% discount on purchases in store. I don't tend to use this card outside of store except for some reoccurring payments to some vendors.

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

MasterCard is a trusted name throughout the world. I have full confidence in their services and customer support. I use the card & services with great satisfaction.

letsgogreen12 Macomb, MI

I keep a Mastercard in my wallet for emergency purposes because Mastercard is widely accepted around the world. I like knowing I have back up support if needed.

Richard Cunningham Sandys Parish, SA

As with any credit card - they provide a good service in terms of what I've used them for. I havent had much interaction with the service team but the rate is good and its easy to pay the monthly bill. I would recommend.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Having a variety of MasterCard accounts, its hard to fathom american retail life without them . They are safe to use, economical, and service is always available. I can't see going anywhere with MasterCard.