Discover Logo

Discover

8.9

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

Continue reading for a complete review of this company, as well as Discover card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Competitive Cash Back Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Competitive Cash Back Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options on a variety of cards:

• The Chrome Student Card offers students cash back each school year if their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it.
  • The Cash Back Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category.
  • The Travel Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.
  • The Gas & Restaurants Credit Card offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants.
  • The NHL Credit Card offers 5% cashback on everyday purchases at different locations each quarter.
  • The Discover Business Credit Card offers 1.5% cash back on every dollar spent on all purchases and your rewards never expire.
  • The Discover Secured Credit Card is unique in that it offers cash back rewards - 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.

At the end of your first year as a cardholder, Discover adds up all the rewards you earned and matches it.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Discover offers FICO credit score monitoring for free, and you don't even have to be a Discover cardmember to use this service, and checking will never impact your credit. Through this service you can see a breakdown of your FICO score and the five categories that affect it — payment history, credit utilization, length of credit history, new credit, and credit mix. In addition, you can take an in-depth look into your payment history and credit mix.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Note: Many other card issuers offer the ability to freeze and unfreeze your card if necessary.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first 14 months.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Discover reviews are positive, awarding the credit card company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most frequently highlight the following:

• Generous cash back rewards
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Great option for first-time credit borrowers and those who are looking to build credit

Negative reviews are limited, but of these reviews, customers mention that interest rates are high and that cards are not accepted everywhere.

The Bad

• Late Payment Penalties
  • Limited International Card Acceptance
  • Minimal Cardholder Benefits
  • Limited Co-branded Cards

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

Limited International Card Acceptance

Discover cards are accepted at 99 percent of locations that take credit cards across the United States, and the Discover Global Network offers acceptance in 200 countries and territories across the world.

The Discover network continues to grow, but compared to Visa and Mastercard credit cards, which are accepted almost anywhere internationally, Discover credit card acceptance is limited. Thus, if you travel frequently, Discover may not be the best card option for you.

Minimal Cardholder Benefits

After the first year of being a Discover cardmember, there are minimal cardholder benefits available, especially in comparison to other card issuer rewards cards.
For example, Discover will match all cash back earned in your first year of being a cardholder, but only in the first year.

Limited Co-branded Cards

Discover only has one co-branded card available: the NHL credit card. Other large credit card companies, such as Capital One or American Express, offer many co-branded card options.

Co-branded credit cards offer greater access to rewards at more locations and on a wider range of purchases. Instead of having one retail card providing rewards at specific limited locations, co-branded cards combine retail benefits with the ability to gain points, miles, and rewards on more than just retail purchases.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. You can even benefit from cash back rewards with a Discover secured card, a unique offering in the industry. This is a great option for individuals who would like to build or rebuild their credit, while also reaping some rewards.

If you are a frequent international traveler, Discover may not be the best choice for your credit needs. While a Discover card will likely be accepted at a majority of locations in the United States, international acceptance is still very limited, especially in comparison to Visa or Mastercard credit cards.

The majority of Discover card reviews are positive. Many customers highlight the card issuer's cash back rewards, but some mention that interest rates are higher than you might find elsewhere. However, many customers mention that their first credit card was through Discover, suggesting that it is a good option for first-time credit card users.

View Best Credit Card Companies

Call our recommended rep over at Discover below.

Shanna L Hesterly McHenry, IL

I had a discover card for years and it was ok. Then recently I changed the due date from the 18th to the 25th. However they only did one step in the process which was to cancel the 18th date. I was very clear about wanting automatic payments on the 25th . Now a month later, they are charging me late fees and refused to take them off. I've always made my monthly payments with them and have been a customer for 15 plus years. When they called they kept "explaining" that it was my fault instead of how they could fix the situation. I begged them to set up automatic payments again but they refused to take off the late fees. Very disappointed with their customer service.

Ann

Terrible. I was approved for a 5k limit. I decided to take it to use for a project on my home because the interest rate was lower than the builder supply finance offer. When I got my card, the limit was $2k. I called and they said they had made a mistake when they told me $5k, but they would review my credit every month and increase the limit of applicable. I used my card the first month and paid the balance in full on the due date via ACH. I noticed a week later that I had zero credit available, despite paying the balance in full. I called Discover and the customer service rep could not give me an answer. After 3 more calls, I was transferred to an “account specialist” named Tim who told me it could be two weeks before the credit would be available due to a security warning. I asked what security warning and what prompted it. He refused to elaborate, was very rude and condescending. He went so far as to tell me “your credit history has nothing to do with how much you are approved for.” I took that statement as indication that Discover does not care about qualified employees, nor do they care about customer service.

Jordan

In ten years using their card, I've had only two times when I missed a payment. Once when I was in college during midterms and forgot due to working 40 hours and my 16 credit hours and this past month. This past month, however, it was their customer service representative who failed to process the payment I had authorized. In other words, it should have not been a late payment. Regardless, they decided that due to their error, my credit line should be cut from $12,000 to $700. That's almost a 95% decrease. I then talked to 3 separate useless people who could do absolutely nothing of service to me. I've favored my Discover card over others because I believed them to have the best customer service and perks but apparently customer loyalty means nothing to them.

phyllis

It takes too long to earn cash rewards. Get a card like Bank of America. Amazon Rewards card goes through too much "red tape" to even qualify for one. Amazon always wants you to buy a new item and send you new email asking you to buy something. However, Amazon does not allow you to get one of their credit cards right away. You have to go to Chase bank to get an Amazon credit card. That is too much work and effort.

Brianna Mill Hall, PA

I do not recommend anyone to get the discover card. I’ve been trying for a whole month to get my money back. They stole $500 out of my bank. 2 weeks ago I called them and a lady told Me I would get it in 7-10 business days. Called a guy last week he told me it wouldn’t come in until today, never got anything. so I just called and the lady told me it won’t arrive until January 15th. What a way to ruin Christmas 🤷🏽‍♀️

Suamhirs Montecristo Piraino-Guzman Bainbridge Island, WA

Discover discriminates against [email protected] I was told after I was approved for my card, that I had to go through security process, which basically they asked me to proof that the social security number I provide them it was mine and I had to proof that I had the legal right to live in the US. The true all american credit card company is racist and by its discriminatory policies furthers aggravates the current political issues in this country.

Laura A Foster Los Angeles, CA

We recently went out of the country. We took our Discover with us, and wow are we glad we had other cards as well. It didn't work once. Not. Once. We informed Discover that we were travelling before we left, and got a message that we didn't need to do anything, that the card would work. Well, it never worked. We tried it at numerous merchants in France and England, all of whom said they took it, but it literally was declined at every single location. Fair warning...it might say it will work, but take another card with you.

Robin Orem, UT

i always get pre approved mail and email. when you actually call them your really NOT approved. you have to go through an application process to find out you are not approved after pulling your credit. then you get a call the next day i have been approved. but yet i have to give them all my information all over again! i asked them what is the interest rate and it was too high for me and had to decline. when i declined the gentlemen hung up on me. then a few days later i get another call from Discover that my card is on its way. i called them immediately and was on hold for 35 mins to just have the call dropped. i tried again and on the phone for another 25 mins. horrible service, just another reason why i do not want to do business with Discover.

Kenneth Holley

Dispite me having the card over 10yrs and a 720 credit score, they sought to dimish my credit line from $8000 to $1000 simply because I started my home rental repair business and had to use some credit on my other cards

Robert Maidment Bakersfield, CA'

I have had this card for years and called to review my interest rate and no changes were made. Didn't seem like the operator even looked into it. The card has been paid off for years and won't being using it anytime soon.

Sally

got behind paid all balance off o. time wouldn't give me a new card even tho they were sending preapproved mail

Paul Karo Sanford, ME'

they added over $800,00 in charges this is the biggest rip off company. They should be wearing masks

Eileen Nagle South Jordan, UT

Discover and American Express begin sending bills later and later leaving me with late fees each time

Rosalind Castagna