Best Company Guarantee Discover Logo

Discover

7.5

LAST UPDATED: January 26th, 2022

Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

Continue reading for a complete review of this company, as well as Discover card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Competitive Cash Back Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Competitive Cash Back Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options on a variety of cards:

• The Chrome Student Card offers students cash back each school year if their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it.
  • The Cash Back Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category.
  • The Travel Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.
  • The Gas & Restaurants Credit Card offers 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants.
  • The NHL Credit Card offers 5% cashback on everyday purchases at different locations each quarter.
  • The Discover Business Credit Card offers 1.5% cash back on every dollar spent on all purchases and your rewards never expire.
  • The Discover Secured Credit Card is unique in that it offers cash back rewards - 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.

At the end of your first year as a cardholder, Discover adds up all the rewards you earned and matches it.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

Discover offers FICO credit score monitoring for free, and you don't even have to be a Discover cardmember to use this service, and checking will never impact your credit. Through this service you can see a breakdown of your FICO score and the five categories that affect it — payment history, credit utilization, length of credit history, new credit, and credit mix. In addition, you can take an in-depth look into your payment history and credit mix.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Note: Many other card issuers offer the ability to freeze and unfreeze your card if necessary.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first 14 months.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Discover reviews are positive, awarding the credit card company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most frequently highlight the following:

• Generous cash back rewards
  • Convenient mobile app
  • Great option for first-time credit borrowers and those who are looking to build credit

Negative reviews are limited, but of these reviews, customers mention that interest rates are high and that cards are not accepted everywhere.

The Bad

• Late Payment Penalties
  • Limited International Card Acceptance
  • Minimal Cardholder Benefits
  • Limited Co-branded Cards

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

Limited International Card Acceptance

Discover cards are accepted at 99 percent of locations that take credit cards across the United States, and the Discover Global Network offers acceptance in 200 countries and territories across the world.

The Discover network continues to grow, but compared to Visa and Mastercard credit cards, which are accepted almost anywhere internationally, Discover credit card acceptance is limited. Thus, if you travel frequently, Discover may not be the best card option for you.

Minimal Cardholder Benefits

After the first year of being a Discover cardmember, there are minimal cardholder benefits available, especially in comparison to other card issuer rewards cards.
For example, Discover will match all cash back earned in your first year of being a cardholder, but only in the first year.

Limited Co-branded Cards

Discover only has one co-branded card available: the NHL credit card. Other large credit card companies, such as Capital One or American Express, offer many co-branded card options.

Co-branded credit cards offer greater access to rewards at more locations and on a wider range of purchases. Instead of having one retail card providing rewards at specific limited locations, co-branded cards combine retail benefits with the ability to gain points, miles, and rewards on more than just retail purchases.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. You can even benefit from cash back rewards with a Discover secured card, a unique offering in the industry. This is a great option for individuals who would like to build or rebuild their credit, while also reaping some rewards.

If you are a frequent international traveler, Discover may not be the best choice for your credit needs. While a Discover card will likely be accepted at a majority of locations in the United States, international acceptance is still very limited, especially in comparison to Visa or Mastercard credit cards.

The majority of Discover card reviews are positive. Many customers highlight the card issuer's cash back rewards, but some mention that interest rates are higher than you might find elsewhere. However, many customers mention that their first credit card was through Discover, suggesting that it is a good option for first-time credit card users.

View Best Credit Card Companies

Call our recommended rep over at Discover below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

lawnguy69 Brighton, MI

Have had a Discover card for over 30 years, and they were the 1st to give my son a credit card as well at 18. Unlike the old days, it is accepted almost everywhere. Uncapped cash back is a great feature as well. Website is excellent for doing almost everything you need to do yourself.

Carnan Fort Collins, CO

We have always had a Discover credit card. We feel they have given us very good service. We appreciate the cash back that we can apply to our balance and also feel they've done a good job in contacting us when our card has been compromised. I would definitely recommend this as a credit card for someone else to get.

Nan Shinkle Salt Lake City, UT

I love using my Discover card because I always get cash back which I can definitely use! I also use it for credit on my Amazon account. Discover makes it easy - plus, I pay for the security against fraud. Plus there's no annual fee!

Nicole Williams West Jordan, UT

I love Discover. They call me whenever a questionable purchase is made. I love the cash back rewards. I love that they have promotions throughout the year that can get you even more cash back!

emblair Herriman, UT

Been a happy customer of Discover for over 20 years now. Their fraud prevention is beyond compare. And their quarterly reward partners are always relevant...actually places we shop. Thanks, Discover!

Connor Smith Tallahassee, FL

Me and my family have been using discover for our credit cards for years now. Customer service is what I find the best about this company though, as any time I have any trouble with the card or anything I am able to get in contact with them. Something I often dislike about Discover though, is that the user interface of their app is often clunky and confusing. Overall pretty positive experience in the years I have been using their services.

Andrea Thomas Richland, WA

Discover has been a great card for me! I get my credit score each month and they have amazing offers. In fact, I was just able to do a balance transfer that will save me over $1200 in interest alone!! Discover has had great customer service too. When I needed clarification on a charge, this chat feature was easy to use and representative was kind and understanding. I would recommend Discover!

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I have had my Discover it card for at least 5 years now. I enjoy the quarterly changes in 5% cashback you can earn. This allows you to have a more flexible rewards card instead of being locked into specific types of rewards charges the entire time you have the card. And even if you don't use the 5% bouns opportunities, you can still earn 1% cashback. The card also has the ability to get different designs on your cards to keep it exciting looking in your wallet.

Anoushka Ahuja Lecanto, FL

Loved the discover card, I get the best cash back on many items that I buy on a regular basis, I got a referral reward to refer this card to my friend

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

I like the access to the account from 3rd party applications, I have like the % payback and I have had issues with fraudulent charges (Not that they covered)

Tara Hansen Layton, UT

I have several credit cards but Discover is my go to card! I love the rewards and have them auto apply to my account each month. It is a simple app to use. Love Discover!

jessica plant Las Vegas, NV

I’ve had this card for several years. The longer I’ve had it, the lower the interest rate abs the higher my credit limit goes. Since I pay it in time. I’ve needed to do transfer balances a couple times due to covid and the fee to do them with Discover is the lowest and usually gives decent amounts of time to try and pay it off before interest accrues. Overall it has been a loyal, honest Cc company, which is great and not easy to find out here. I recommend it it for people with good credit and for people just starting out their credit.

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

I love using my Discover Card because of the cash back rewards! Have been a Discover customer for over 30 years. I have had a great experience with their customer service and fast resolution of any issues that have occurred over the years.

Brett Schiftner Weatherford, TX

I've been with Discover over 30 years. I started when they were the first ones to give cashback. Now they have a 5% category every quarter which I use but most of the time I use other cards with higher rewards. Their customer service as always been excellent

Sarah Biondo Gilbert, AZ

I love discover because I have had a credit card for many years, but they recently started bank accounts. The savings account and IRA is what intrigued me because it had a higher interest rate. I like that I can transfer money between my checking, savings or IRA (when mature) and pay my credit card on one dash board. I like their app.

Mandy Pesce Laurelton, NJ

Discover has an amazing cash back perk to it. It is also an amazing card to have in your pocket for emergencies or large purchases as the credit lines are typically larger with this card as your credit has to be pretty good in order to get one. I would definitely recommend this card.

Tim Riley Coppell, TX

Discover cards has the most services available to the customer in my opinion out there. If you don't have one, you should.

Amberly Pack Salt Lake City, UT

I love the cashback rewards. I redeem them for gift cards for places I already go. You can get so much more bang for your buck!

Alex Gohlke Troy, MI

great credit card to have. Easy to get approved and get a low APR. cash back is better than most other credit cards ive found

Marci Randall Sandy, UT

Have had a Discover card for years and have been extremely impressed with their customer service. I have loved their cash back program

Bradley Baer Philadelphia, PA

Discover is a great company that has done a nice job keeping its services easy to access. I also find their website/app to be the best designed of all the credit card and banking organizations.

Denise Davis Detroit, MI

This is the best credit card I’ve ever had. They have cash back incentives and an awesome app where you can easily see what you have earned when spending. If you have to choose one, this is it!

Bob Trammell Los Angeles, CA

Discover seems to be an easy card to get. However, they're real sticklers and won't bend the rules, even when it's their fault. I mailed my payment and it arrived one day too early. Because of that, I "missed" a payment. This caused me to have to pay interest and they dinged my credit report. It was obvious I had paid the payment one day early, so they waived the interest and late charge - but refused to take the hit off my credit report! I paid off the balance and canceled the card! I will never again use Discover Card. Their cashback is good, but not as good as you can get with other cards. It is also sometimes difficult to use, as it's not as accepted as VISA, MasterCard, and American Express - so you still need to carry one of those.

Shauna Lyons Omaha, NE

This was my first CC and they gave me a chance while building my credit. Since havin I have a increase in limits and now I have a personal loan! Super friendly when I called and so patient when helping me with application

Chelsi Day Ghiorzi Columbus, OH

Ive had nothing but positive experiences with my Discover card. Its not my primary credit card these days but the rewards were always great. I think its a phenomenal entry level credit card with excellent customer service.

Jlbfla New Braunfels, TX

Good card and great customer service. Friendly staff and always there to help. Card easy to use every where. No monthly fees if pay on time. Money back incentive which is always great. Never had any problems. Good company.

SMJohnson_Indy Indianapolis, IN

From application through routine use and customer service interactions, Discover has been great to work with. The DiscoverIt card's first-year cash-back match, ongoing quarterly cash-back promos, and top-notch customer service have all made my experience with Discover to be the best in many years of credit card use.

tommy melvin Richmond, VA

Great rewards program. Cashback options on different cards, etc. Service great, the online app has very useful features and make it easy to manage your account online. Even adding users, credit limit increases, FICO scores and balance transfer options.

Jodee McKeon Houston, TX

Of all the credit card companies I honestly think Discover is the best, based on my experience. Their website and app are the most user friendly I've found and they have great customer service. When I was young and trying to start building my credit they were one of the only ones to offer a reasonable credit card with no annual fee that was perfect for someone just starting out. Highly recommend.

Mitali Ganeriwal Orlando, FL

I have been using their credit card for over 2 years now. I am so happy with the cash back and rewards they give me.

Anonymous Rome, PA

Discover has been my main credit card since 1989. I have had MasterCard and Visa also over the last 42 years, but Discover card deserves my 10 star rating. Whenever I have had any issues with a purchase and the company I had made a purchase from would not or could not resolve the issue, Discover Card ALWAYS listens to my purchase issue, and then guides me through the steps I need to make to begin a complaint. Discover Card has ALWAYS investigated my purchase issue and has ALWAYS resolved the issue. I have received the monetary amount en total for the purchase or return of an item I purchased. There customer service representatives are professional, courteous and are dedicated to assisting their customers.

Anonymous Rome, PA

Deanna Perthuis Houston, TX

One of the first credit cards I had. I love the No yearly fee and the money spent match at the end of the year.

Marlene Coville Blakeslee, PA

Discover has everything I want in a credit card company especially watching out for me with security and availability at every store. I have had discover card since 1984.

DogLover17 Macomb, MI

I love that Discover is widely accepted all over so I always carry a card for emergencies. It has helped me cover emergency services such as a car repair and a root canal.

Darryl Shelmire Long Beach, CA

I opened a secured discover card and honestly love the card.. I've only had one instance where the merchant didn't accept discover as a payment option.

BlancheL

I enjoy the freedom of using my discover anywhere I need to! Not to mention the app is a amazing tool to have direct access to my account info where I need

Lisa E Leominster, MA

Outstanding! Discover has been consistent and reliable for so many years. I can't recommend them highly enough. Incredible customer service and a truly fantastic rewards program. No issues on our end ever.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I signed up for the Discover card because it is a common first-card for college students. I have not had any issues with it and customer service has always been great. I was matched on the cash back I made the first year and I continue to receive cash back. Cannot complain!

J B Sandy, UT

I've been using Discover's cashback program since I graduated from high school. Love it!

Tami Thurgood Ogden, UT

I have enjoyed being a discover card member. They have great perks each quarter to help you earn more money back! It amazing!

HPotts Macomb, MI

Discover has served my lifestyle well will allowing the opportunity to make big purchases and pay off my balance with a small APR.

Mark Erwin Follansbee, WV

I had this credit card for about 6 years and had a great credit limit on it I was late one time and they charged me a huge amount of interest after paying it off every month for years and then they get my credit report and would not remove it

I Am Pumkin Brooklyn, NY

I didnt have a problem with Discover until someone stole my credit card and went on shopping spree and when reported to Discover although they claim fraud protection they held me responsible for the $11k in charges

Steve Colella Coraopolis, PA

Great customer service when calling or chatting with an agent. They are always offering great deals for cash back and balance transfers.

Samf Tampa, FL

Card customer for 20 years. Love the low cash advance promotions when i need them. Always awesome customer service when I needed it.

Fr. Ron Nuzzi

2% cash back is a huge reward so long as the bill is paid in full every month. I use my card for everything and the cash back is a wonderful bonus.

Rose Chevelon Tallahassee, FL

I love discover and the cashback that I get fro using it. This was the first credit card that i ever had and its working fine for me especially with my credit score being high.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

My experience with Discover has been amazing. They have great cash-back rewards, which is the main thing I look for in a credit card. Additionally, their customer service representatives are very thoughtful and instantly resolved my issue on the first call.

Grossarth Family Herriman, UT

Love the 1% cashback bonus each month with different retailer bonuses.