Best Company Guarantee Chase Logo

Chase

7.5

LAST UPDATED: January 26th, 2022

With a history tracing back to 1799, Chase is one of the oldest and largest banks in the United States. In 1958, Chase launched the first credit card in New York City, and today the company offers a variety of different cards.

Chase credit cards are known for their excellent rewards, including competitive spending rates and a generous points program. The company provides both co-branded and Chase-branded credit card options, and its Chase Sapphire Reserve® card is one of the most popular travel rewards credit cards in the industry.

Continue reading for pros and cons, as well as Chase credit card reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Chase Ultimate Rewards Program
  • Co-branded Credit Cards
  • Low Introductory APRs
  • Free Credit Score Monitoring
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Chase Ultimate Rewards Program

Chase Ultimate Rewards® is the name of the company’s points program used for all Chase-branded rewards credit cards.

Chase Ultimate Rewards points can be redeemed in a variety of ways, including:

• Cash back
  • Travel
  • Gift cards
  • Amazon and Apple purchases

Points are generally worth 1 to 1.5 cents.

The following Chase-branded cards earn Chase Ultimate Rewards:

• Ink Business Preferred®
  • Ink Business Unlimited®
search

Highlight: Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card

The Chase Sapphire Reserve card is one of the most popular rewards credit cards in the industry. Offering exceptional travel rewards and benefits you can get three times the points on eligible dining and travel expenses.

Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal you can redeem your points and use the program’s travel-booking tool, powered by Expedia. The travel-booking tool allows you to purchase travel accommodations and other expenses with accumulated points instead of cash.

Co-branded Credit Cards

Chase offers a variety of co-branded credit cards, allowing you to earn more rewards and points with certain airlines, hotels, stores, etc. Chase is partnered with, and offers co-branded cards from, the following companies:

• Southwest Airlines
  • IHG Hotels
  • Disney
  • Starbucks
  • Amazon Prime

Co-branded cards generally allow you to earn points on all purchases which can then be redeemed for specific perks and purchases. For example, you can earn 1 percent in Disney reward dollars on all purchases made with the Disney® Visa® Card; reward dollars can be redeemed toward most anything at Disney or Disney locations.

Low Introductory APRs

Many Chase credit cards, including some co-branded cards, offer zero percent intro APRs for a certain number of months after opening a new card:

• The Chase Freedom Unlimited® and Chase Freedom Flex℠ credit cards offer a 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening.
  • The Disney® Premier Visa® and Disney® Visa® credit cards offer a 0% promotional APR for 6 months on select Disney vacation packages from date of purchase.
  • The Ink Business Cash® and Ink Business Preferred® credit cards offer a 0% intro APR for 12 months from account opening.

After the introductory/promotional period, your APR will typically range from 14.24 percent to 23.49 percent depending on your card and creditworthiness.

Free Credit Score Monitoring

To help you keep track of your credit and manage your credit score, Chase offers free credit score monitoring through its Credit Journey program.

You don't have to be a Chase customer to access Credit Journey, but you must make an account which will provide you with a variety of credit monitoring services:

• Check your score — get your credit score at any time without affecting your credit
  • Protect your credit — protect yourself from identity fraud
  • Receive real-time alerts — get alerts when your credit score changes
  • Get personalized insights — learn how you can build and maintain your credit

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Chase reviews are 4 or 5 star, with customers highlighting generous rewards, excellent customer service, and helpful online tools and features. In addition, many customers mention that they have had their Chase card for years (upwards of 30 years) and are still pleased with its features.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Jeremy Balls from Kaysville, Utah

“I have several rewards credit cards through Chase. They are straightforward and easy to understand and use. Never had any issues. It is nice that I can move my approved credit between credit cards.”

Poor reviews and complaints are limited, and the majority are outdated. But, some customers do mention high fees and difficulty being approved for a credit card even with a high credit score.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Foreign Transaction Fees
  • No Secured Credit Card Option

Annual Fees

The majority of Chase credit cards have an annual fee. Fees range from $49 to $550, depending on the card.

The popular and highly rated Chase Sapphire Reserve card has the highest annual fee of $550, but offers exceptional rewards for both dining and travel purchases. In general, cards that offer generous rewards will have a higher annual fee.

If you would like to avoid an annual fee, there are Chase credit card options available. But it is also important to note that a good to excellent credit score may be required to qualify, particularly if it is a co-branded card.

Foreign Transaction Fees

Some Chase credit cards, such as the Chase Freedom Unlimited card, do charge a foreign transaction fee of 2 to 5 percent on purchases made outside of the U.S. or in a different currency within the U.S. (e.g., buying a product online from Canada).

Chase does offer a variety of cards that don't carry this fee, but there are also other credit card issuers that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee on any cards, such as Discover or Capital One.

No Secured Credit Card Option

If you are looking to build or rebuild credit, a secured credit card can be a viable option for you. However, Chase does not offer a secured credit card. Thus, if you have bad credit or a limited credit history, you may find it difficult to qualify for a Chase credit card, especially for the use of building/rebuilding credit.

The Bottom Line

Chase is well known for its generous rewards program, and offers a variety of cards with competitive cash back offerings or point redemption systems. You can choose from a wide selection of Chase-branded or co-branded credit cards, providing you with more flexibility in how you use your credit and what rewards would be most beneficial to you.

With a wide selection of co-branded hotel, travel, and airline cards, you can save money on travel, but it is important to note that Chase does charge a foreign transaction fee of 2 to 5 percent on some cards.

Chase customer reviews are mostly 4 and 5 star. Customers frequently confirm the generous and flexible reward offerings and are quick to praise the company’s customer service. In addition, many customers mention that they have had their Chase credit card(s) for a number of years, suggesting that Chase could be a good and reliable long-term credit option.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Saraswati Manandhar Herriman, UT

I have my checking and saving account at Chase. I do not have to drive longer even I moved, they are mostly found closer. Due to online banking, high school account, locker, ATM, chase has made my life better. Also, during opening of the account, sign in bonus has helped me financially too. Also, they have very good customer service. I will recommend this bank.

Joseph Zajac Hazleton, PA

I've used Chase for a number of years. I used to have a car loan with them that was at a very fair rate. Most recently I opened a Chase credit card that ties to Amazon and I'm very pleased with it. It gives me 3% cash back on purchases with Amazon and it's also available for use at any retailer or anyone that accepts the Visa card. In addition the signature Visa that I obtained came with a sign on bonus of $100 in Amazon credit which is now actually increased to what I understand to be $150. It's a great way to shop Amazon and the card also allows you to break payments into six even parts with Amazon shopping that have no interest so it becomes the same as cash. It's a really good promotion and a very fair credit card and payment arrangements structure.

Jennifer Gacki-Resch Troy, MI

Have been banking with Chase for 12 years and the service is great. The credit card offers are also beneficial. I like the freedom credit card which has rotating incentives each month to earn cash back

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

Overall I am happy with the credit card. I have found the web access to the account to be very useful, and I also have access from 3rd applications for downloading and tracking of expenses. I have had some unexpected fees that I wasn't fully in agreement with. Which is why they get 4 of 5.

Steve Harris Baton Rouge, LA

I have chase bank for my business and personal accounts, Also, I have 3 personal credit cards with chase and 2 business credit cards. I've never had any issues and they've always been very helpful.

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

We highly recommend Chase Bank & its Credit card services. We have been customers for many years, * have always been treated with a high level of Professionalism & Great customer support. We trust Chase zBank with all our investments.

Barbara Luke Chicago, IL

I use my Amazon Chase card for all Amazon purchases because of the cash back. My other Chase card is through Southwest Airlines. I rarely use that, however, they just implemented a payment plan without interest over time, without fees for a short time. That makes it more likely I will use that feature since I haven't been able to travel much the past few years.

RONALD WHITE Show Low, AZ

Best customer service I have ever had with a credit card and I have 4 cards through them. In case of fraud, they are on it before I have even known about a problem. They shut down use of my card and I get a text message or email letting me know of fraudulent use. When I have lost or misplaced my card, they shut down the card and overnight me a new card since I am a valuable customer to them. Thanks Chase CC Department

Anoushka Ahuja Lecanto, FL

The chase credit card did not offer a lot of choices when it came to redeeming rewards the best reward I redeemed was a air pod and I mostly use the rewards for booking travel and hotels

anna blaser CA

Chase is a great option especially for those who are just beginning to start building credit. They have great services, plus it’s easy to find nearby bank. I love them.

Ashton Chamberlain ID

I’ve bank with them for years now and they have been everything that a good bank should be. Excellent customer service, easy to use, and acceptable services. 10/10

lawnguy69 Howell, MI

Long time Ink customer. great to get 3% back on home improvement, office supply, restaurant and gas purchases. Pretty common purchases for many businesses.

J B Sandy, UT

Chase has been a great financial partner when it comes to credit. When our credit card info was stolen, they had a new card out to us in less than 48hrs.

letsgogreen12 Macomb, MI

I use Chase Bank for just about everything. I have a debit/credit card. My only complaint is that a lot of the in-person locations have closed and it is recommended to go online for services. I prefer in-person service, especially with all of the banking scams going on around the world. Their in-person staff has always been courteous and efficient.

Cc Chesterfield, VA

I love banking with Chase. They are always very kind and helpful when I go in. The only downside is that there are not Chase banks everywhere in the United States. They just added a new Chase bank near me for the first time and I have lived in Virginia for nine years. I am very grateful they are growing!

Daniel Cebrero Henderson, NV

One of my first bank accounts was opened here and it’s my one and only bank account I kept. They always have my back for any issues. Fraudulent, overdrawn etc. They are one of the biggest on the game for a reason and I’ve had their credit card since the start. Their points back system is one of the best and i love their service

Steven Shimmin

Thrilled with the Chase services through credit card and investment services. Good rates and great incentives and rebates on your spending. Customer service and employees are friendly, helpful and top notch. So proud to be part of the Chase family

Sarah Biondo Gilbert, AZ

We have a couple of chase credit cards and have bigger credit limits on them after being customers for awhile. Everything is easy and we also seem to have great 0% balance transfer options that we love and take advantage of. Customer service is always helpful.

Jlbfla New Braunfels, TX

Like chase credit card , used the 1 1/2 % back rewards. No fees if paid on time. Easy to view online with your bank account and pay directly right there viewing both. Only had one problem and that was with their damage protection. Had item bought and got damaged and they gave me hard time on reimbursement as promised. Did eventually have to go to BBB and got reimbursed. Other than that found to be a great card with many convenient options to use online to track everything. Really loved being able to view right along with bank account and charge card and pay.

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

I have had a chase credit card since I was 16. They are the only cards I have. They have great customer service and I like the text notifications they send me. The fraud department is very helpful they will alert you anytime they find something even a little suspicious

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I have a chase card through Costco and Amazon and enjoy both. I love how I can earn a ton of cashback on Amazon with their Amazon credit card through Chase. I also really like the online platform for the chase credit card account. It is very simple and easy to navigate.

Steven Whites West Valley City, UT

I am with Chase bank due to my Amazon credit card. As long as you pay it off every month you don't get charged the extra interest rates that credit cards charge you. Plus with your Chase Amazon card you spend money on Amazon with it and you get 5% back on everything off of Amazon. Then you get 1-3% back on groceries, gas, restaurants, etc. This money comes back to you as a credit on your account. So you get the option to buy gift cards, spend it on Amazon, or the best part is use this money to pay on your Chase credit card which is the best option overall. Plus Chase bank offers credit journey reporting so you can check your credit score for free every few weeks to see updates to your score. I would highly recommend using Chase Bank ONLY with the Amazon credit card. I actually used their actual bank account and they charge you a $25 fee or so monthly if you don't have its either $500+ or $1500+ in your bank account OR this fee is waived if you use direct deposit so that makes it easy to bank with them.

MGW San Jose, CA

I've had mixed experiences with Chase. Currently I have both a credit card and car loan with them, and both of those are fine. The car loan has been completely worry-free. I can't complain in the least. The credit card is ok. I haven't had any issues. It's a rewards card and their rewards are ok, but not great. I pay off all credit card balances every month, so the reason for me to use any specific card is the rewards or some other feature like no foreign transaction fees. Chase charges foreign transaction fees, so I don't use their card when I travel. I've been lucky that I haven't run into any fraud with their card, so I can't say what that will be like when it happens.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

Chase offer a lot of financial services and products from banking to credit cards to home loans. They also have good customer service. However, they tend to raise their credit card rates ever so often without much warning.

Bradley Baer Philadelphia, PA

Overall I've had great experiences with Chase primarily as somebody who uses their Chase Sapphire Reserve card. The rewards are wonderful and I've always been able to get issues resolved quickly and easily.

Andrea Thomas Richland, WA

We love our chase cards! We have three different cards and each are amazing for their perks. We haven’t had any issues with the credit cards at Chase, so we would recommend them.

Allison Ager Tallahassee, FL

Love my Chase Amazon card. With 5% back on Amazon purchases and a very low apr, I'm winning. The site and app are easy to use and my overall experience with Chase has been excellent.

David Swenson Saint Paul, MN

I’ve held Multiple chase credit cards for years. I love there bonus rewards and their online/app experience. I’ve never had any issues with them and have nothing but positive experiences.

Chelsi Day Ghiorzi Columbus, OH

My Chase Sapphire Reserve is my favorite credit card I've ever had. It's easy to manage, has incredible rewards, and outstanding customer service. I'm not sure I'll ever switch.

Tim C Salt Lake City, UT

Chase credit cards are generally pretty competitive with good rewards. Rates are a bit higher but pay them off quickly.

Alex Gohlke Troy, MI

chase is an excellent card! used everywhere to maximize that cash back and extra benefits at gas stations too

Tisha Johnson Kuna, ID

Chase credit cards are easy to use and redeem points. In the past I have used my points for vacations, cash, and to pay for Amazon purchases.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

I opened a Visa Chase card 2 years ago - love it! from time to time they run promotions to get a higher reward percentage back and the cash back options are pretty great too.

Brett Schiftner Weatherford, TX

I have a couple of cards with Chase and have never had a problem. Everything is accurate and if I have a question they handle it easily. On-line service is good as well.

James Moss Knoxville, IA

Chase does a good job as a credit card company. I have never had a problem with the charge going through, and the customer service has always been professional.

blkcat954 Naples, FL

Best perks and opportunities in the financial industry even their private client member is awesome even investor new investment firm and bring good check it out don't put your eggs in one basket

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

Chase is great! I earn cash back on every purchase I make from eating at restaurants, to grocery shopping, to online shopping. Customer service also handles things very professionally.

Shannon Biassou Tallahassee, FL

If you don't have Chase, what are you doing. Chase is a great card company. Their mobile app is extremely simple to use, they have a money transfer ability built in (Zelle) and the add interest payments to your savings account.

Amy N Sandy, UT

Chase credit cards customer service is very helpful and professional. Their app is easy to use.

Gaju Shrestha Herriman, UT

Loved banking with Chase. Easy access to bank and ATM. Many perks for credit card.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Had several cards with Chase. We have liked their balance transfer products especially. They have the best balance transfer products.

Clay Thurgood Herriman, UT

I have a debit card from Chase, and it’s great. I love how I’m able to check on my balance from the app and deposit checks from my phone.

Darryl Shelmire Long Beach, CA

Chase was my first non secured credit card when I started rebuilding my credit. I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

I’ve been with Chase for 10+ years and extremely impressed with their service and how they keep me informed of my account.

Samf Tampa, FL

I have 5 chase credit cards. I love my southwest chase card as it gives me 10 free flights a year with all the charger every year.

Hannah Faith Gentry, AR

Chase has the greatest customer service and the fastest way of taking care of card carriers. I needed to stop a fruad happening on my card and they made it so easy! Thank you Chase!

Prenisha Tallahassee, FL

One of the most comprehensive job search databases out there. Easy to drill down into areas of specialty, useful email alerts. I've used it a few times, getting my next employment through them.

janice dorvil Tallahassee, FL

I love Chase. The representatives are always so sweet. You don't have to worry about scams. And they are always checking to make sure things are okay and update you about changes.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Chase has the best customer service of any other credit card company I have been customers of. When I thought my card info had been stolen the lady on the phone quickly disabled my card and assured me they would get their team right on investigating.

Toni Montuori

I have been a chase card holder for many years and there are very good reasons for this. Most recently the heightened security features that protect me and my account. My favorite feature is receiving a text alert that my credit card was just used even before I’ve left the store. This gives me great comfort with regard to fraud.