Capital One Logo

Capital One

9.4

As the fifth-largest consumer bank and eighth-largest bank overall in the nation, Capital One offers banking services with a focus on helping consumers find financial success with credit cards.

Capital One offers credit cards for all credit levels, making it one of the most popular choices in the industry - no matter if you have bad credit or excellent credit, there are options for you.

Backed by positive customer reviews, getting a credit card with Capital One is a great option for whatever your financial need may be.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and verified Capital One reviews from real customers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Matt B. from American Fork, Utah

"I love my Capital One cards. I have several different ones for different rewards. They are accepted everywhere, I can choose which type of card I want and I recently called about my annual fee and they were so friendly and helpful."

The Good

• Variety of Cards
  • Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit
  • Cards for Bad Credit
  • Rewards
  • 0% APR Credit Cards
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score Check
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Variety of Cards

Capital One offers 19 different types of cards, allowing you to choose the best credit card based on your credit score, rate and fee preferences, and different rewards offerings.

Capital One seeks to provide a credit card option for every consumer. Those who are looking to rebuild credit can apply for a secured credit card, an offering that is not available with every credit card company. Those with excellent credit can choose from various cash back cards, or pick a rewards credit card, offering points or miles on airlines, hotels, or other travel expenses. Capital One also offers store credit cards for those with excellent credit scores.

Each credit card listed on Capital One's website lists the purchase rate, transfer information, annual fee, and credit level required for approval, making it easy to see at a glance what options might be best for you.

Pre-Approval Without Impacting Your Credit

If you'd like to check which cards you qualify for based on your current finances, you can do so without impacting your credit score.

Cards for Bad Credit

Capital One offers a secured credit card for consumers with bad credit, or those trying to rebuild credit.

Secured cards require a security deposit, which becomes your credit limit. Capital One requires a deposit of $49, $99, or $200 for an initial credit line of $200. This secured card is unique in that the security deposit is refundable, and the customer will be automatically considered for a higher credit line after six months. The card does not have an annual fee, but the APR rate is relatively high, at least compared to regular credit cards, at 26.99 percent variable APR.

Rewards

For the majority of their cards, excluding secured cards used for building credit, Capital One offers attractive rewards to its cardholders.

Rewards vary based on each card. It is important to note that some cards do not allow rewards, including cash back, on all purchases. Some cards, such as the Savor® Rewards and SavorOne® Rewards cards only offer cashback on dining and entertainment. It is important to read all details provided to choose the rewards card that will best fit your needs.

0% APR Credit Cards

Capital One offers credit cards with a 0 percent intro APR, which is not necessarily unique to this card issuer. For those with excellent credit, they can apply for a card that will not require interest rate payment for the first 12 to 15 months.

Consumers with poor to fair credit will not be approved for cards with a 0 percent APR offering, and can generally expect higher rates.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Capital One does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a nice benefit for cardholders who travel frequently. Instead, foreign purchases will be automatically converted at the foreign exchange rate at the time of payment processing.

Free Credit Score Check

Through CreditWise® by Capital One, customers can access and view their credit history at no additional cost, and with no ramifications to their credit score.

It is important to note that CreditWise uses a different credit scoring model than the commonly used FICO score model. Both models are based on similar key factors that lenders look at when considering you for a credit offer.

Fraud Safeguards

Customer security is Capital One's top priority. To protect a customer's credit card information, as well as bank account and debit card information, Capital One offers a number of fraud safeguards. Its associates are required to complete security training, and there are systems and protections put in place to protect a customer's personal information, such as their social security number.

If your card is lost or stolen, Capital One has listed phone numbers that you can call for immediate assistance. Upon contacting Capital One, your identity will be verified before account information is discussed or shared.

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Capital One reviews are positive with 84 percent of reviews rewarding the company 4 or 5 stars. These positive reviews most often highlight good experiences with customer service, including prompt responses and problem solving. In addition, customers are please with the ease of setting up an account, as well as competitive rates and rewards compared to other credit card issuers.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Beverly Schacher from Long Beach, Mississippi

"We have been very satisfied with our Capital One credit card. They don't charge an annual fee, their customer service is good. It let's you get cash advances and is accepted almost everywhere."

Of the limited complaints, customers outline being overcharged on fees as well as receiving high interest rates.

The Bad

• Annual Fees
  • Late Payment Penalties

Annual Fees

Capital One offers credit cards with no annual fees, but there are various cards that have a required fee. Annual fees range from $39 to $95, which is significantly lower that other card issuers, such as American Express that has some cards with an annual fee of $250.

However, the higher the annual fee, the bigger the rewards that can be offered on that credit card.

Late Payment Penalties

Capital One charges a fee for late payments, which varies depending on the card.

The Bottom Line

Although Capital One experienced a large data breach in 2019, in which a hacker gained access to over 100 million credit card accounts, including access to personal information, Social Security numbers (Social Insurance numbers for Canadian customers) and bank account information, the company has bounced back, providing trustworthy service and fraud protection.

Capital One offers several great benefits, including a number of rewards programs and competitive APRs. However, the company does have annual fees and late payment penalties in place. If you have bad credit, Capital One has options available in the form of secured credit cards with refundable security deposits, providing an option for building or rebuilding credit.

The majority of Capital One customer reviews are positive, with the majority of customers outlining good experiences with customer service in which they received prompt service, especially in response to fraudulent card activity, which is good to see considering the company's past data breach.

Keep reading for Capital One credit card reviews.

Call our recommended rep over at Capital One below.

Willie Sneed Dallas, TX

One of the worst credit cards you can ever have insecurity is non-existent security is a joke I had identity theft for that I'm still trying to fix I send them my payment in Dallas all my life all of a sudden I see a bill for me to San Francisco I had to find it they sent me a bill for it for bed and breakfasts in San Francisco how crazy can you be

Todd Jenkins Winter Park, FL

I have had Capital One credit card for over 10 years, and with the exception of the first year of owning the card they have never raised my credit limit. All my other credit cards (Citi, Discover, and American Express) never had an issue raising my credit limit. But, it not just that. Capital One has the highest interest of all my credit cards, and is never willing to negotiate with you. With most of my other credit cards I'm able to negotiate down the interest payment after being with them a couple of years, but that is not the case with Capital One. Last I don't particular care for their online interface. I have found my other credit card companies interface more intuitive. My recommendation is to seek elsewhere if you are looking for a credit card company. I can guarantee that you can find a better product.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Capital One is a HORRIBLE company and can't be trusted at all!!!! When I was first married, I received a Capital One credit card. They constantly lied to me and they really screwed me with their fees. Even when I tried to use a credit consolidating company, Capital One was still a nightmare. I don't trust them at all. Never have, never will!!!

Janice

I was a loyal customer and I made a purchase online and reported to capital one of my purchases and how I didn't want the online company to do any other purchases on my account I gave capital one my confirmation number that I was given from the merchant. I was afraid it would happen that's why I provide the information to stop any transactions.But they refused to listen to me I have no reason to lie but long story short I no longer do business with that card I was a loyal customer for over 25 Years and they chose not to believe me.And chose to take my business some where Else.

Bryon Walters Beaver Dam, WI

I had my credit card shut off because Capital One didn't send me the monthly bill. I pay my balance every month, credit limit is 3 times the amount owed and I called immediately when I received the July and August bill on the same day and told customer service about the issue and that a check would be sent the same day. They still shut the card down so I had no credit card over the Labor day weekend. Less than impressed I would never treat one of my customers in such a manner.

Deanna Parry

If you're even 1 day late with your payment they harrass the crap out of you by calling you repeatedly until you make that payment. They are not sympathetic if you were in the hospital or in a coma or whatever reason they don't care they called me as many as 9 times in 2 days all times of the day and night it's terrible.

Rita Gearhart

Hated them. We tried to cancel the ADT because the monthly fees were ridiculous. They. I tuned to add on interest and fees even after we paid the payoff amount they gave us. It took months to get away from that mess.

Puddn Pie

It was a good company until I could not remember my password. Then I was treated ike a criminal had to send my drivers license and still I coul dnot access my account. I finaly went to a branch and c;losed my accounts.

Chris Patton

They are ignorant. I have an 825 plus credit score. The only money I owe is on one mortgage. They turned me down for a credit card. I wrote them and they acted like drones.

Jeremy Webb Covington, LA

Terrible banking company. I use bill pay and my bills are NEVER paid on time. If I pay a bill it will take 2-3 weeks to process. They have caused me so much late fees it is not even funny. Not to mention their terrible credit card plans. Will not be going back to this bank!

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

For some reason, I've found a lot of people like Capital One, but I have had problems with them for several months straight before I gave up and closed my account. The customer service was awful and they hardly gave any information that was useful. Transactions hardly went through smoothly. I would never recommend them.

Madison Scott Pleasant Grove, UT

I had a horrible experience with Capital One during a fraudulent experience they were no help at all. In fact, at times I felt as if they were the enemy. There was a huge lack of compassion and understanding. With Capital One it is all about money not the human experience.

Connie dutil

I made a payment I got the confirmation number and they came back to get another payment I know I've got bad credit because of them they don't want to work with you

Marilyn Hollingsworth

Cannot pay off. They charge interest by the day. You make a payoff payment and they charge interest until they post it. Then, you pay THAT off and they charge AGAIN!

SHENA LALLY Dayton, OH

They tell you over thw phone to call back after 1pm est to make a payment. When you call you find you were charged a late fee of $35 because you paid after 1pm. Scandalous.

Ariana Giles San Antonio, TX

Very disappointed we have asked for SCRA for my husband being in the service for over 7 years and they have not verified or even contacted us and the interest charges keep piling on

Jarvis Johnson Smithfield, UT

Overcharged on fees. Not very good customer service. Purchases seemed like they were double the rate or percentage.

ben spears

Charges a fee of $49.00 per year, refuses to waive the fee. I've been with capital one for many years. I decided to cancel due to the fee.

Lauren

Overcharged without contacting me, I opened the card and never used it and then received a bill for over two hundred dollars.

bad2 Watertown, MA

difficult to get a human when ou need one. Web Site also not helpful. And yet they spam me all the time to tell me how helpful they are!

Alex Pierre Orlando, FL

Too much interest on the credit card, forty-four percent is legal theft, will never use another credit card from them again

Robyn Johnson Smithfield, UT

I had an employee charge a lot of money on my account a year after It supposedly had been closed.

Skeeter

They charge way to much even if your just a day late and they will not allow you to pay online.

Andrew Flaugher

Mr. flaugher to high of % on card and they will not come down and all ways on time for 40 monts

Jo Anne

Had several charges many times that were not made by me. They resolved the issue.

stink

I made a transfer to pay my bill and they refuse to apply the funds to my account

Renzy B Universal City, TX

They didn't give me a good credit balance to begin with even though I had good credit

david marcum sr

you can pay on time all the time and they will never give you a interest break.

Jerry

Super expensive, small limits on withdrawal, and no credit increase.

Anonymous Laurel, MD

Very bad experience. Hidden fees, excessive fees that push you over your limit

CarolHarriff Romulus, MI

interest rate to high, will not use again after I pay balance off.

James Holsinger Fort Lauderdale, FL

They promised one thing when getting me to sign up then didn't deliver

Bill

Their int. rate is too high, & they suck.

Harlan Wahlert Manassas, VA

They do not want to take payment from my checking account.

ednjudy Macedon

they bill me as late, my bank shows them paid days earlier.

Duane Sevilla Pueblo, CO

Apr is too high, monthly interest is to high