TracFone Wireless is a subsidiary of America Movil, Mexico’s largest telecommunications company. The company functions as a mobile virtual network operator, holding agreements with different large network operators like Sprint and Verizon to provide nationwide service coverage for its customers. Established in 1996 as Topp Telecom in Miami, Florida, TracFone now has over 90,000 retail locations nationwide.

#1 Verizon chevron_right
#2 T-Mobile chevron_right
3.7
#3 AT&T chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• No Contract
  • Airtime Flexibility
  • International Calling

No Contract

TracFone is "America's #1 National No-Contract Wireless service provider." They offer no contract, bills, daily or monthly fees, with nationwide coverage on America's best and most dependable networks, like Sprint. TracFone is a pay-as-you-go wireless phone service, which means you can pay month-to-month or as needed. They have various customer service options offering live chat, email, and phone service, from 8 AM to 7 PM EST.

Airtime Flexibility

TracFone products and services are easy to understand. Each prospective customer follows the same three steps prior to enrolling in the service:

1. Choose a phone - customers need to purchase their phone up-front since there are no contract discounts or promotions to bind them to the service. The TracFone inventory offers a few different phones, including Android smartphones and iPhones.
  2. Activate - once you order your phone, customers simply need to follow the activation instructions found in the package. At this stage, customers will need to have an airtime card or service plan.
  3. Add airtime - to continue service, customers will continuously need to add "airtime" to ensure minutes, texts, and data are available. This can be done over the phone, online, or in one of the retail stores.

TracFone has unlimited carryover, which means your unused minutes, texts, and data never expire as long as your service is active and in use within each six month period.

The carrier also triples everything, which means that when you buy a 60-minute Airtime Card, you'll get 180 minutes, 180 Texts, and 180 MB of data at no extra charge.

International Calling

Some international service is included with every TracFone account. You can purchase a $10 global calling card to cover additional calls to Mexico, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Colombia.

The Bad

• Expensive Minutes
  • Customer Service Concerns

Expensive Minutes

Pricing is something that has also caused concern amongst the TracFone consumer base despite the overall affordability of the business model. The minutes are pretty expensive, and because you have to purchase them upfront, you may end up spending a lot more on minutes than you would on another unlimited plan. The tradeoff is that minutes carry over from month to month so if you buy more than you need, you can use them next month.

Customer Service Concerns

Despite having several customer service options like live chat, text message, email, and phone availability to address a problem or complaint, many PureTalk reviews describe challenges understanding customer service reps or getting the help they need.

The Bottom Line

TracFone is a good option for prepaid phone service, but customers should be aware that minutes tend to add up and are quite expensive to buy in bulk and there are no unlimited data or unlimited texts plans. Read customer reviews for more details about the customer experience and compare TracFone's service plans to determine if it's a good service provider for your needs.

TracFone customers can expect the following:

• No contracts
  • Custom talk and text amounts
  • No unlimited data options
  • Limited device selection
  • Prepaid plans

View Best Cell Phone Providers

4.0

Phoenicia Cloud

January 15th, 2021 Rosamond, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a great phone to have in a pinch. The phone that I had was not the best quality but in all fairness, it was quite inexpensive as well.

Dan S

January 2nd, 2021 Dallas, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great deal. Best value for the money. Great coverage. I get better coverage then I had with Verizon

M L

December 24th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

just got them on one of my phones and they use the tmobile towers love how cheap it is a month and that the phone was cheap and decent too. great signal and service

RAR

December 22nd, 2020 Naples, FL

I have been with TracFone for a number of years, with two accounts. The quality of the phone and service is great, and at a outstanding price.

41BUICK

December 22nd, 2020 Dahlonega, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service and rates are awesome. Always ready to help if a problem. Treat you like a customer, NOT a number. ONLY complaint: when switching from Straight Talk to Tracfone, I couldn't keep my #. Don't understand this, since they are the same company!

cher612

December 17th, 2020 Buffalo, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tracfone has the best customer service of all the wireless carriers. Has helped me through a lot and I would highly recommend it to all consumers.

Natalie M.

December 11th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What I didn't know was that TracFone was Straight Talk or vice versa. Until I just received my new phone and it says TracFone.I have had one of the BEST experience with Straight Talk. I will not go back to any other company.

Vic

December 10th, 2020 Omaha, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I liked tracfone. I used it for a long time when I still depended on my landline. And it was dependable; you knew what to expect, as it was a pay as you go, and there was no contract, so it was convenient for what I used it for at the time. It's good for people who exclusively use landlines, and only need a mobile phone for emergencies (when they're out of the house), and don't want a recurring monthly bill.

Sdianas

November 25th, 2020 Saint Paul, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TracFone provides great service, especially for people who have a landline home phone and use the cell phone for short calls. I get better reception on my LG Tracfone than I do on my CenturyLink home phone. At $22 for 120 minutes (after doubling), or 140 minutes (with a special code I sometimes receive) and 90 days, it is very affordable as as second phone. Starting in January they are switching to 4G only, and I hope my new phone sounds as wonderful as my current one! (I am using the one I have as long as possible.)

David

November 25th, 2020 Plainfield, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We recently upgraded out Tracfone to a smartphone and could not be more pleased with the company. No problems with the process and we still are enjoying great customer service. Thanks!!

Mia Salem

November 22nd, 2020 Salem, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It could not be better. There's always some promo even thru Walmart on line and so far the best deals are tracfone. I'm frugal too.

A. Taylor

November 19th, 2020 Panama City, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Trac Fone has been a fallback system for me at times. A great filler between other systems contracts. The best thing is the flexibility of the TracFone platform and the ability to choose a minutes/serviceplan that suits your own needs.

Matt Markin

November 18th, 2020 Kearney, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have found TracFone it in Miss depending on who you can talk to for customer service and if you can get the right APN settings dialed in, if not you never have service and you are paying for a reoccuring headache!

Alaskan Bev

November 11th, 2020 Chugiak, AK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A little over two years ago, my two-year-old Tracfone wore itself out so I replaced it with a new Tracfone. I had used Tracfones for over a decade and had no major problems with them. My new phone had an incredible Triple Your Minutes for Life offer (TML), published on the front of the box and verified by the counter technician. I used the phone, was happy with it, ordered 1,500 minutes and received my expected 4,500 minutes, and all was well. When I used up most of my time and was down to perhaps 200 minutes, I went online to order more time but could not figure out how to be sure the connected TML would take effect. I ordered the 1,500 minutes anyway and the bill was for nearly as much as I normally pay for my 4,500 minutes - but was only for around 1,000 or 1,200 minutes. I tried the Chat line feature for the Tracfone website and was initially told that my order would be corrected. It was not. I called the Tracfone live conversation and was told that "This offer is no longer being honored." I was irate. "My Tracfone box says right on the front, 'Triple Your Minutes for Life.' Life means the life of the phone! My phone is only a couple of months old! It still works fine. I want the offer I have paid for and expect." I received the same explanation as before. I looked up the CEO's name and address online and wrote to him explaining the issue. No response. I decided I was done with Tracfone and went to Straight Talk. They deduct a certain amount from my credit card on autopay, I have excellent service, and the phone is fine. Straight Talk is connected to Tracfone, but the service and phones are much more satisfactory. Just be aware that what Tracfone offers may not be what you expect or receive.

Jincey

October 22nd, 2020 Lafayette, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Bring Your Own Phone works with the newest iPhone models and is very economical for those who don't use their phone a lot so need unlimited minutes, etc. No contracts, just pay as you go, and the coverage uses major cell phone towers. Pay for what you use only.

John

October 22nd, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I grew up using TracFone. I always sought the lowest prices and TracFone couldn't be beat. 60 minutes and 90 days of service for $20. I rarely needed to use my phone and largely kept it for emergencies. That was outstanding. When my peers were paying a lot more for service, I was paying almost nothing. The only drawback is for those who make far more calls and texts. Then, TracFone might not be the best. Though, they do have other service plans, aside from minute cards, that you can check out. I never really used anything other than the minute cards, so I can't really comment on that. Overall, though, great option for those who just want a cheap phone and service. Highly recommended.

Barbara Cell Stuckman

October 13th, 2020 Maryland Heights, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They don’t send emails like promised when I need to add airtime. Not good customer service

Brittany Alshawy

October 9th, 2020 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Basic phones and basic service. Good for a starter phone for kids, or a good phone for elderly parents who don't use technology that much. They do offer more options now, but the service is sub-par. But are worth the value.

Freddie McCain, Jr.

October 3rd, 2020 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had TracFone for ten years. After I retired, I realized that my previous plan was a waste of money because of un-used roll over minutes plus extra fees. I also realized that I did not use the cell phone as much. TracFone was the right plan for me because I only pay for what I use.

Anne Gago

September 16th, 2020 Riverside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've bought my last 6 phones from TracFone and I've had no problems with the cell phone. The only drawback is the buying of minutes.

clare wengert

September 13th, 2020 Saint Joseph, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that you pay as you go and don;t have to sign anything. We've had it for at least 10 years.

Charlene Devine

September 1st, 2020 Englewood, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had TracFone from many years. It is a good phone company for a child to have to keep track of there calls.

Chai'el Ma'etheius

August 26th, 2020 , GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been using TFW Straight Talk for over 3 years or so and in a way the price is fair, data once in a while has its quirks and calls has once in a while an echo or static, but it has no contracts or hidden fees.

DrippGang

August 26th, 2020 Rockford, IL

Good. Free. Or no cost for the use of the phone. Though the TracPhones do have limited access/ability.

Patti Miller

August 17th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The phone was for 84 year old Mother. She is not up to date on modern devises but I managed to teach her to use the phone. The model I chose was very basic. A good choice for her needs.

Ray Reyes

August 11th, 2020 Fuquay-Varina, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use TracFone one time for an emergency and I really I can count on there service I never had a complain against them I will recommended to anyone.

Trena Sturges

August 10th, 2020 Eufaula, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible phones, horrible customer service both online & on phone. Not easy to set up. Not good service

Richard Baker

July 31st, 2020 Las Cruces, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

long time customer best service for the money. strongly recommend. all is well in our home

Amanda Malega

July 29th, 2020 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you are needing an emergency phone for your kids or an elderly person this is a good deal. The service is not bad either.

NG

July 29th, 2020 ,

Service is really poor, I mostly had to go outside to have the call connect. Sometimes I had to go into the street. Giving 2 stars, not 1 since usually once I got the call connected it wouldn't drop. Also, during COVID they were more stable then other carries (I'd guess since they are the least overloaded).

Tina Taylor

July 26th, 2020 Ebensburg, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tracfone is the only cell phone brand that I have had, I am on my 4th one. Also, my sons and husband have them. You can't beat the value. It also takes great pics. There is no need to spend a fortune on a phone. I am able to get service in many places that people with expensive phones can't get. The speaker quit on my son's phone, they had a new one in the mail to him in a week.

Bob Benzing

July 24th, 2020 Diamondhead, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I pay a single price for a year of time on my phone and days which is very reasonable for people who use the phone for emergency's or on a trip by car. It figures out to about $6 a month. Can't beat the price !

PJWILEY

July 22nd, 2020 Austin, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I live in a very rural area where cell service is very difficult. TracFone comes through.

ROCKY WENDROCK

July 17th, 2020 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For my purposes being retired I do not need a busy phone any more. I pay for a year and just use it when I leave the house. At home I have a land line so it suits my needs.

Timmy K

July 14th, 2020 Cushing, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service from set-up through 3 years of service now. Always there to help and assist with ALL aspects of the phone.

Adam Jensen

May 22nd, 2020 Moreno Valley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not the greatest customer service. Somewhat difficult to change phones and it seemed like there was always an issue with my account.

Andrew

May 18th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the payment plans and how easy they are to use

Sunny

May 18th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Reliable service, cost effective, have used Tracfone for 20 years with very few issues.

Evelyn Muegge

May 12th, 2020 Norfolk, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

inexpensive and reliable and available all over

May 12th, 2020 De Land, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Low cost user friendly and international calliing

Natalie Brown

April 4th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TracFone was alright. They were cheap which was a major plus but that was about it. The phones are made cheap and it shows. I went through two phones in a year because of how cheaply they are made.

Leonard Elbon

March 30th, 2020 Magnolia, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company, great concept- buy what you use

Azrienne

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

extremely reliable company and my calls never drop!

Hunter Brister

March 7th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TracFones are cheap and reliable phones for people on a tight budget. I can personally say that the phones work very well.

Msindoni

March 6th, 2020 Pembroke Pines, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mom has been using TracFone for a while now because the prepaid plan works best for her lifestyle. It's simple to set up, and instead of buying more minutes I just buy her a new phone.

Hownowbrowncow

March 5th, 2020 Hattiesburg, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great prepaid plans with decent coverage. Most people that I know that have tracfone get better service them most people in woody areas.

Sparky 8 pez

February 26th, 2020 Rancho Cordova, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tracfone gives me the best value for my money. Customer service could use a bit of improvement, but overall, I'm happy with the company.

Sandra Douglas

February 9th, 2020 Evanston, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love the easiness of purchasing minutes. Great phone for my mom while in the nursing home.

Camille

February 8th, 2020 Lynnwood, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use TracFone for our family phone so kids can call parents in emergency or for any need. Great affordability for this purpose!

Katie evans

February 7th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not great but neither is the cost , a good choice for those on a budget and low data needs