T-Mobile Logo

7.5

LAST UPDATED: October 26th, 2021

Our 500+ verified T-Mobile reviews give T-Mobile an average 3.5/5 stars, placing it among the top cell phone carriers. T-Mobile ranks well for all of our consumer sentiment criteria:

• Value for your money
  • Quality of product or service
  • Customer service
  • Company trustworthiness

T-Mobile is unique in that it will match a customer's corporate, affiliate, or military discount up to $15 for single lines and $30 total for two or more lines.

A bit about the company's background:

T-Mobile, founded in 1991 and located in Bellevue, WA, is the United States-based operating arm of T-Mobile International AG, providing wireless voice & messaging services and data services. The cell carrier operates some of the largest wireless networks in the U.S., reaching 99 percent of Americans according to the company. It has a market of over 45 million customers and over $20 billion in revenue every year.

A new merger between T-Mobile and Sprint is in the works with the introduction of 5G connectivity.

T-Mobile is known for its signature comprehensive cell phone plan, Magenta, which includes bells and whistles like unlimited coverage in Mexico and Canada, Netflix at no charge, and unlimited video streaming at 480p resolution.

AT&T Logo
#3 AT&T chevron_right
3.8
TracFone Logo
#4 TracFone chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Quality of Services and Plans
  • New Phone Promotions
  • Phone Financing Options
  • Good Overall Customer Service
  • Affordability and Special Pricing
  • International Network Coverage

Quality of Services and Plans

T-Mobile has three straightforward unlimited cell phone plans:

1. Premium unlimited plan Magenta Plus

2. Signature unlimited plan Magenta

3. Basic unlimited plan Essentials

Magenta Plus includes maximum perks and benefits:

• Unlimited talk, text, and smartphone data
  • Free Netflix with 2-screen access
  • Taxes and fees included in advertised pricing
  • 2x data speeds and texting in 210+ countries and international regions
  • In-flight texting and unlimited in-flight Wi-Fi use
  • Unlimited HD streaming at DVD quality (480p)
  • Unlimited talk and text and some data in Canada and Mexico (up to 5 GB of 4G LTE data)
  • Mobile hotspot data
  • Name ID
  • Voicemail to text

In addition to the contract plans above, T-Mobile offers prepaid plans with data, calls, and texting to suit each client's needs. Magenta benefits are available as a prepaid plan for domestic only or for domestic and international.

All data plans include some degree of mobile hotspot data up to 20GB with the Magenta Plus plan. T-Mobile's smartphone mobile hotspot, also known as Wi-Fi sharing or tethering, allows you to share your smartphone or tablet's internet connection with another Wi-Fi-enabled device using T-Mobile's network.

New Phone Promotions

T-Mobile frequently runs promotions for new device purchases - generally the newest iPhone and Android OS models - as an incentive to purchase a plan. AutoPay and trade-ins are generally required to qualify for the iPhone and Android phone promotions.

With T-Mobile, you have access to the latest and greatest in phone tech. T-Mobile's inventory includes the latest phone models like the Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus with 4K video capture, a dual 12MP + 12MP + 12MP rear camera, wireless charging, and "all-day intelligent" battery life or the Samsung Galaxy Note9 with super AMOLED display, expandable memory up to 1TB, and biometric unlock.

To use your current phone (if compatible) you can purchase a SIM card to set your phone up in T-Mobile's network.

Phone Financing Options

The customer can either pay for their services in advance or they can pay as they go. This makes the credit check nightmare of a contract plan obsolete.

There are some credit-based possibilities for covering the price of a new phone, however. If a customer cannot afford one of the more expensive phones up front but can pass a credit check, they can pay for the phone in payments over time. If a customer, under this agreement, decides that they no longer want service through T-Mobile, they are responsible for the remaining balance on the phone.

Good Overall Customer Service

Our verified consumer reviews below are generally positive regarding T-Mobile's attentiveness to customers. From a different third-party review perspective based on customer satisfaction surveys for the past several years, T-Mobile has been recognized as the best customer service provider within the cell phone industry by JD Power and Associates. The company is also recognized for its outstanding care in the customer care category.

Affordability and Special Pricing

T-Mobile is known for its overall affordability. The phone plans available offer data plans comparable in price to that of other providers without requiring long contracts, though auto-pay is required to obtain the best deals.

Customers are never charged overage fees because they simply cannot use their data after they have reached their monthly quota. With most no-contract carriers, there aren't unlimited data pricing paradigms in their data plans, but T-Mobile is the exception. In addition, the unlimited data plan from T-Mobile is significantly cheaper than the 100 GB plans offered through competitors.

In addition, T-Mobile offers special pricing for customers 55+ which can be applied to two phone lines in a plan and includes all of the benefits of T-Mobile ONE. Active and retired military members and their families also qualify for special pricing.

International Network Coverage

T-Mobile also has extensive international service in over 210 countries and international regions. In fact, it is one of the few wireless providers that includes international data and texting at no additional cost, which is far above many of the other contract providers in the industry.

Customers can access their account easily, speak with an online customer care representative, or use their text messaging to monitor their monthly services for international texting as well as other stats.

The Bad

• Cost
  • Limited Device Options
  • Equipment Installment Program
  • Tablet Limitations

Cost

While T-Mobile provides high LTE speeds, Wi-fi hotspot options, and entertainment perks that are unavailable through other mobile phone carriers, its plans are more expensive than that of several competitors. In this case, it's true that you get what you pay for.

Limited Device Options

The company carries the most popular device brands, including certified used phones, but doesn't sell everything: T-Mobile does not offer BlackBerry phones and or Windows phone models.

Equipment Installment Program

Something to point out is the policy regarding the Equipment Installment Program. If a customer chooses to discontinue their service with T-Mobile, they are responsible for the remaining cost of the phone if it was purchased under an Equipment Installment Program. In some ways, this is a tactic to keep customers on T-Mobile's service without forcing a contract.

Tablet Limitations

With T-Mobile, customers can only use tablets with data capability that can be converted into a hot spot. These max out at 11 GB of data per month and do not suit the needs of customers who frequently use a tablet as a hot spot for a laptop computer or other device.

The Bottom Line

T-Mobile is a strong carrier for those hoping to avoid long-term contracts or hidden fees. Though not perfect, the majority of T-Mobile customer reviews reflect positive user experiences and the company is known for its low prices, no overage fees, and other controls in place that keeps the cost competitive for the customer. Prospective customers can expect the following with T-Mobile:

• Different plan options to cater to different preferences
  • Unlimited texting, talk, and data
  • No long-term contracts
  • Portable Wi-Fi
  • International texting included
  • iPhone and Android phone promotions
  • Financing available and overall affordability
  • Discounts for seniors and military personnel
  • Netflix subscription

T-Mobile is rightly among our top-ranked cell phone providers. Read customer reviews below to learn more.

View Best Cell Phone Providers

3.7

Lenora Francis Brookline, MA

T-mobile is second to Verizon as to having a great service, but they have dropped calls. I have been on calls with friends and their phone drops a call going under a bridge. I wait to get a call back and there are always that explanation.

Diva Mother Fayetteville, GA

I have a multi plan with T-Mobile so far so good! I conduct a lot of my business via phone. The reps on the phone aren’t pushy and don’t force phones on you. My last rep was in Korea and he was phenomenal

Aly Houston, TX

T-Mobile has many perks - it is often the cheapest of the big cell phone companies (not counting those like Cricket), they offer deals on phones that are reasonable, their in-person customer service is always helpful and professional, and they have some perks such as free/cheap service overseas that is totally incomparable to any other competitor. My only complaints are that service seems to suffer in certain areas in a way that friends and family don't seem to have on their plans. If you're not living/frequently in these areas that is fine but otherwise it can be super annoying. Also I do feel that pricing is sometimes unclear due to fees, etc.

David Cape Coral, FL

I like T-Mobile, they service the account well, I do not have many problems with it and they respond to my needs quickly. The in-store service a a tad weak but not bad enough to make me move on to another company. I think for the money they offer a great product.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have to say, out of all the cellphone carriers I have used, T-mobile is my favorite. They have the best coverage in my opinion. I am currently using a lifeline phone service but am getting ready to switch to T-mobile. The only downfall in my opinion is the price. Although their coverage is excellent, many other companies that use and resell their network offer a better price for the same coverage, such as walmart family mobile.

Spencer Cottle Orem, UT

We have been loyal customers for years And have upgraded phones many times. Their service is getting better each year. Sometimes difficult to reach an actual person when trying to reach customer service

SebMassun Los Angeles, CA

For the most part its great. Love the family plan @ $40 a pop, free international texting and also 1 hour free on GoGo equipped flights. Their 5G doesn't seem too much of a step up from LTE and internet seems slow at times and at other times just doesnt have any signal - but a quick flip of the on/off airplane mode usually helps.

E Jester Baltimore, MD

I like T-Mobile because I've been with them for over 17 years. I don't like purchasing a new phone because it increases the cost and one never gets any deals. The so-called Tuesdays app doesn't help me because it's geared towards younger people. I would rather have monthly fees waived to acquire discounts on the service. I love my unlimited calls, text but since the merge, the prices could be better considering the pool of customers.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

I was with T-Mobile from when it was Powertel in 1999 and I really liked it. I had very little problem with lack of coverage, the value was good and I liked their products. The only issue that I did have was they had the wrong anniversary date for me and at times that made upgrading an issue or changing plans a problem because I wouldn't get the better rate initially. The people I dealt with in customer service were always helpful and took care of my problems right away. There were times that I asked for the manager and that seemed to help fix the issue faster. I still miss T-Mobile but my wife won't go back.

Dennis K Spokane, WA

I have had T-Mobile service off and on throughout my life and don’t have any big complaints about anything. I think that they have some of the best deals on new cell phones and their monthly service plans are usually a better deal then Verizon or AT&T, the only thing that has been an issue for me at times is their lack of coverage in some remote and rural areas. When I had gone camping some of my friends were able to pick up service in certain spots and areas where I was not, which i wasn’t all that happy about as I had to take in some of the shit talking about my phone provider when ever I asked to use one of my friend’s phone to place a call. Considering I was paying less for service then they were and we had only gone camping to far secluded locations like that once or twice a year, it really made no difference to me except for a little bruised ego of mine for a few minutes :/

That Guy Yus The Bronx, NY

I moved to T-Mobile from Boost Wireless. For about 30 bucks more than what I was paying for 2GB a month, I got unlimited data and Netflix (my gf is part of my plan so they give you Netflix for 2 lines or more). They have a weekly thing where they give you free or cheap stuff for being a T Mobile customer through their T Mobile Tuesday app. Before COVID they used to give alot of free or cheap movie tickets but now it's mostly deals on food delivery, Redbox, and branded swag. The best are the 40% off deals from Reebok or Puma they offer every once in a while. My phone is 5G so luckily their network can do that as well. I'm pretty happy with them. Only thing is that I bought a Samsung Watch and I have to pay for an extra line in order to use it. It seems kinda stupid.

Autumn Mccard American Canyon, CA

T-Mobile may not have the best service but they have the best customer service and the best pricing for having unlimited everything. Back to their service.. they have improved greatly over the year and they have good service but for more rural areas it’s not the best.

HonestOpinion Mesa, AZ

Value for what you pay is unbeatable. No other company can even come close to offering what T-mobile offers for the rate they offer. Only downside is that T-mobiles reach is not as extensive as other companies as we've been places where our friends with other carriers have service and we don't. So check the obscure places for their coverage chart before signing up. Otherwise it does ok.

Shalonda Kelly Columbia, SC

Reception spotty at times but overall I've experienced nothing but great customer service.

Anthony Pelchat Atlanta, GA

Been a customer for years. Great service and support. Pricing is fine, but could be better.

Randy Eckert Houston, TX

No issues other then seems as though signal gets much leaker between 11 - 2 in the afternoons for some reason. Other then that no issues

Barb Pro Columbus, OH

I had sprint and without being told to had to go to t-mobile we were switched. The rate went up. Me daughter calls me across the road from my house and I could hardly hear her. And the call keeps getting dropped. 17 hours away I get a call and it’s good. Why didn’t we at least get a new customer deal?

Joshua Squire Ogden, UT

I like T-Mobile's pricing structures and the fact that they don't add taxes and fees on top of the monthly price. Unfortunately, I live in an area where I just couldn't get consistent good signal strength. People just a few blocks away seem to have much better success.

Shirin Marvi Chicago, IL

Good service at company stores but private stores are not recommended because they cannot help customers to a great extent. T-MOBILE service is excellent for me because it works all over the world. It even works in remote locations. It is best for people in the USA and world travelers. Love it!

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I had my whole family on T-Mobile and it was a great cell phone plan. We had a little trouble with a phone trade in and had to take a lower amount on trade as originally promised, but I think that was a naive salesperson not the company. We are not o. Their service right now but I will consider T-mobile again in the future as we look to change our service.

Hannah Giles Pleasant Grove, UT

I have had T-Mobile for about three years and we have three accounts on our plan. It has been a problem-free experience. My only complaint is that when I have called to ask a question or about an issue, it is difficult to reach someone who speaks English proficiently enough to understand what I am trying to say. The last time I called, asking a question about my automatic payments, the customer service person was very kind and tried to be helpful, but she could not quite understand what I was asking, so I just gave up. Besides that - which could happen with any company - I have had a pretty positive experience.

james scharoun Balch Springs, TX

T-mobile is a good company but it depends where you are located. When in Washington DC verizon was the best. In connecticut t-mobile was ok. Its north east coverage was not bad and the price was reasonable.

Maria Z Las Vegas, NV

Have always had good/acceptable service. I moved recently and now I barely have service. Would be great to have that fixed as I'm paying off purchases and can't switch carriers.

Jihad Mohammad Paterson, NJ

Great prices for family multi phone line discounts. Courteous and professional customer service. Text response from customer service and reliable feedback to insure customer satisfaction.

Kim San Jose, CA

Customer service is always kind, professional and answers all your questions. Pricing is exceptional for our 7 phone line bill. Sometimes there is still a quality issue with the call on Tmobile cell phones.

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

I’ve been a customer of T-Mobile since 2012 and I love it. I rarely, if ever have problems with my service, anytime I have issues with my phone technical support is very helpful and nice. The monthly bills aren’t out of my budget and pretty consistent. My unlimited data is never slow and I love having the free personal hotspot feature.

Michael Hackensack, NJ

I have been using T-mobile over 8 years, and I am adding lines and plans. I have 4 voice, 2 data services. Simply, most cheap on me when comparing with Verizon and ATT. I am living in NJ area, I never experienced any quality of signal issues. The customer service, really really nice, Honestly, really happy.

crg323 Fort Lauderdale, FL

I've been with T-Mobile for almost 4 years; no real issues. I've had the same plan and my monthly charge is always predictable. Just the way I like it! Except for that one time in 2020 when they had a circuit overload, the service has been reliable and I can go anywhere and count on my connectivity.

Steve Reina Inverness, FL

I’ve had t-mobile service for approximately 5 years with excellent service. However, in home coverage had been sparse showing only 1 bar with numerous dropped calls. T-mobile provided an in-home cell tower and service has been increased to 4 bars! However, when I go outside my home coverage drops to. 1/2 bars

Jeremy Balls Kaysville, UT

I have been with T-Mobile for over 6 years now. When I first came on they were a welcome improvement over the carrier I was coming from. They have improved year over year, and continue to improve their coverage. Now I think I get some of the best speeds and coverage for the price. Keep it up, T-Mobile. Anytime I have contacted T-Mobile their customer service has been great.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

We use T-Mobile for our family plan and feel it offers the best value for the amount of lines we have. I travel for business quite often and get frustrated with the lack of coverage in some of the rural areas but deal with it. It works well around the major metro areas and the data is fast and reliable. Just don't expect phone and data in rural areas.

Adam Seffner, FL

The price is right and I have enough coverage in the Tampa Bay area that service is sufficient. My biggest pet peeve is that the billing cycle is every 30 days, NOT every month as advertised. I have paid 2 bills in one month before and always at least 1 every month. Said another way, I paid 13 bills last year, 12 the year before, and I'm on track to pay 12 this year.

Malcolm I Shaw Escondido, CA

Update, if you are having problems, try turning off LTE. No one at TMobike suggested this, but my phone and tethered devices are working satisfactory at 4g. Test sites rate it 3g, but my phone displays 4g. I suspect this is because LTE is closer to true 4g, but I’m happy now. Don't get their data plan, you will probably be very disappointed. They advertise unlimited LTE hotspots and HD streaming. While there are times that the service is impressive, I have very minimal service from 11am to 11pm. They simply don't have the capacity to fulfill their promises.

Marisa Channell Orem, UT

I really love T-Mobile. My family and I have been with T-Mobile for at least 10 years now. I really appreciate how helpful their customer service is. When we have had problems in the past either with our bill being wrong, service problems, etc. T-Mobile has always had a positive attitude and were extremely helpful in answering our questions and trying their best to solve the problem. I also love that when we have gone into the store we've always been offered good deals or they have watched for ways we can save a little money. I really appreciate that!

Jordan Gundersen Provo, UT

T-Mobile is great! The price has been pretty good over the years. The coverage hasn't always been the greatest, but it has improved over the last few years. T-Mobile also has features that no other carrier offers such as free music, video, and Pokemon-Go data. The T-Mobile Tuesdays app is also a great way to get free stuff. So far, I've been able to get a free movie ticket, a free frosty, a free pizza, and a $20 gift card to the MLB store. All of this just for being a customer. I don't think I'll be switching providers any time soon. Thanks T-Mobile!

John pouria Brooklyn, NY

Have had T-Mobile for over 10 years with sporadic times using other carriers and T-Mobile is hands down the best. I currently have 4 lines all unlimited LTE and it's very fast. Speed test show 15-25mps for LTE and even when I use older 3G phone it's still 5 MPS. And they even gave me 7 GB hotspot per line. My bill is usually around $240 which is not bad. Customer service is not perfect but it's leaps and bounds above other carriers.

Fernando Verano (페르난도) Houston, TX

I've been with t-Mobile for almost 10 years and for my needs t-mobile has been outstanding, the service has always been good and the customer service is always doing a good job solving the problems, granted once in a while data service is sluggish but it is depending on location. Voice sound is always good, granted once in a blue moon I have dropped calls, but again is not like I can't call again. In overall I am happy with the service and what the company has to offer.

GN Seattle, WA

T-Mobile offers the most straight-forward billing (no hidden fees and unrecognizable charges like many of the competitors) and was one of the first to offer a truly unlimited talk and data plan. The downside of T-mo has been their sometimes spotty service in certain areas. As long as they continue to expand their network, they will continue to be great.

aoelberg Nacogdoches, TX

I like T-Mobile a lot. They offer better billing options than other cell carriers and are up front about their costs. They never once lied to me about what I would get. They did not seem to be out just to make their money. The store associates as well as the customer service over the phone was always extremely helpful. I will most likely be switching back to them very soon.

Paula Pili Provo, UT

I’ve had T-Mobile for about 12 years now The plans are simple and there are not any outrageous fees. It’s easy to purchase and upgrade phones. When my previous phone had a crack on their end it was easy to have it replaced. I have the iPhone 11 I think I have more qualms with my actual phone. Going on a road trip however; out of all the various companies my sister and her family were the only ones who had continuous service They have AT&T There are 3 of us and our families who have T-Mobile. Thinking of switching to AT&T though. I gave a 4 star rating because I tend to have a few lags Not often there will also be a lag in receiving my text messages.

Katie Howard Pleasant Grove, UT

I've used t-mobile for years, and I've been quite happy with them. They have good coverage, although I have trouble in some rural areas when I travel. I chose them originally because they had a program that didn't require signing a two-year commitment. Now many carriers do that, but at the time it was new. Although it meant buying my iPhone up front (on a payment plan), I figured out that it would be cheaper than other plans in the long run if I kept the phone longer than two years, which I have. If you are someone who changes phones often, this might not be for you. Watch out for local store workers--they've been dishonest with me several times and aren't much help if you go back in with questions when there's no longer a sale on the line. But the website customer service is much better.

Sarah Ava Salt Lake City, UT

Husband and I used T-Mobile for years before switching. Their prices were fair and customer service was always very polite and helpful, so we would have stayed with them had their service been a little better. We live in a very large suburb yet we still had calls drop quite often. We got spotty service in basements and my husband had no service whatsoever when he started working in a small town nearby. He switched to Verizon before I did and on a road trip to Washington, he had service the entire time while I rarely had any. That was when we decided to switch carriers. Cancellation was simple thanks to T-Mobile, so no issues there.

Seth Schellenberg Lehi, UT

We came for the price and almost nothing else. But honestly, t mobile has been good to us and we haven’t lacked in coverage as much as we anticipated.

HUSHAM H OMER Brooklyn, NY

I've been t mobile customer for a long time I like the one price tag including everything no extra charges. Lately with the merger with sprint I have some issues with internet service.

Caprice Watkins Harrisburg, PA

Mostly good service! I’d recommend them to anyone. I’ve had them for a few years, about two years prior. Affordable, customer service is good, they to work with their customers. Amazing Product.

Alessandra Jacques Charleston, SC

I have been using t-mobile for about 5 years. I live in an urban area so reception has never been an issue. Traveling abroad has always worked fine, a bit expensive but functional.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

T-Mobile has been great for our family use. It provided a low cost option to keep bill under control. They offered the latests phone tech and great accessories. Great low cost option with T-Mobile Tuesdays discount program.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

When we first jumped into the cell phone craze, we used T-mobile. The stores were clean, the staff was friendly as they explained how the product worked and what plans were available. The service was good, with few dropped calls. We think that they offer good value, with a good product.

Laura

Customer service is excellent, though some of the reps don''t know what they''re doing. Sometimes service drops in well populated areas, and often there''s no service in more remote locations. Never had that problem on Verizon. Very affordable.

Rodger Reed Long Beach, CA

I like that they are easy to deal with and don't appear to be as loose with my personal info as the others. St least not yet to my knowledge. I think the proposed merger with Sprint would result in less competition and higher prices.