Protect My Car

Protect My Car Logo

7.2

a month ago

Protect My Car

"Protect My Car will save you money and provide the best customer service along with a hassle free claims process."

Protect My Car is the current name of a company providing extended service contracts to consumers. The plans are administered by United Contract Service Group, which shares the company's address. Past names of Protect My Car include Solace and Precision Auto Protection. This company should be approached with extreme caution, as there are many examples uncovered in the research and reporting of this review of misleading information by the company.

The Good

• Basic Warranty Features
  • Other Features

Basic Warranty Features

Protect My Car offers three choices of extended service plans. These plans offer cumulative coverage, with added features offered for higher-tiered plans. The Driveline plan is designed for higher-mileage vehicles and covers the engine, transmission, drive axles, fuel systems, and electrical systems. The Select plan offers the above protection in addition to heating and cooling systems, lubricated parts of the brake system, temperature control, and the ABS master cylinder. The Supreme plan offers coverage which is more similar to traditional bumper-to-bumper coverage. The plan includes coverage for the steering components and front and rear suspension in addition to the above coverages. In addition to the extended service plans, Protect My Car offers a car maintenance repair plan which can reduce the cost of repair bills. The maintenance plan offers roadside assistance, three free oil changes, and two tire rotations per year.

Other Features

Protect My Car offers its customers 24/7 roadside assistance as part of all plans, but the company does not disclose limitations on towing coverage. Protect My Car includes emergency jump starts, vehicle lockout services (key cutting is the owner's responsibility), flat tire changes (spare not included in coverage), and fluid delivery (cost for fluids are the owner's responsibility). For repairs which are covered by Protect My Car's service plans, the company offers rental car reimbursement up to $30.00 per day, for seven days, or a maximum of $210 per covered claim. Those with an Ambassador plan can receive rental car reimbursement up to $90, or three days at $30.

The Bad

• Warranty Cost
  • Basic Warranty Length
  • Powertrain Warranty
  • Plans Are Not Available Nationwide
  • Time in Business
  • Customer service

Warranty Cost

Protect My Car offers its customers a 30-day money-back guarantee, monthly interest-free payments, and low deductibles for its service. The company does not disclose its specific costs beyond these statements.

Basic Warranty Length

Protect My Car does not disclose the average length of the terms for its service contracts.

Powertrain Warranty

Each of the service contracts offered by Protect My Car includes some aspects found in a manufacturer's powertrain warranty, with the engine, drive axles, and transmission covered. As repairs to these components are often very expensive, for them to be covered, the customer must have immaculate record keeping of all maintenance (tune-ups, oil changes, etc.) to avoid the claim being denied. Anecdotally, there are many reports of claims on these parts being denied by the company and its former identities.

Plans Are Not Available Nationwide

Protect My Car does not service customers residing in Missouri, Louisiana, Washington, and Oklahoma. Attempts to learn if covered repairs would be done in these states if a customer is traveling were not answered by the company.

Time in Business

Protect My Car states that it was founded in 2005. Protect My Car began operation in August 2015. Prior to this, the company was known as Solace (January 2015 to August 2015). Before January 2015, the company operated as Precision Auto Protection. There is no verifiable information validating that any of these corporate entities for vehicle service plans started in 2005; but one of the many corporations registered to the founders, Craig M. Rubino and Joseph C. Rubino, Advanced Marketing and Processing, was founded in 2005. There are several reports of customers being denied service on covered repairs with both Solace and Precision Auto Protection. These companies have websites which either automatically redirect to Protect My Car or have multiple dead links. Precision Auto Protection has its own site, but all social media links are those for Protect My Car.

There are numerous reports on reputable review and evaluation sites which state that the customer support for Protect My Car is lacking. These reports fall primarily into one of two categories: refusals of claims, refunds, etc. or engages in high-pressure sales tactics. Many people are dismayed to learn that because they either did not perform regular maintenance on their vehicle or did not keep records of performed maintenance, that their contracts are essentially worthless and companies will not provide service on their service contracts without these records, even if the customer has paid for protection. This is a common clause in extended service contracts. As such, customers must be fully aware of what their responsibilities are in order to avoid paying for protection that is essentially worthless. The other category of common complaints about Protect My Car includes harassing interactions with customer service or sales representatives and high-pressure sales techniques. Among reputable companies in the industry, there are very few allegations of these behaviors. Protect My Car has had a significant number of complaints about its interactions with prospective and current customers. The company is the defendant in a current and ongoing legal action for its violations of telemarketing practices. Some people report that they were verbally harassed to the point of the customer service representative engaging in insulting language and name calling. These reports are too frequent to ignore and unacceptable in any professional environment. View the Top Car Warranty Companies

The Bottom Line

There are significant concerns about Protect My Car which were uncovered by BestCompany.com in the course of this review. Nearly every one of the negative points discussed in this review is sufficient reason for customers to avoid Protect My Car as a consumer. This company should be approached with extreme caution.

View Other Car Warranty Companies

Haidyn Houtz
August 21st, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I loved working with this company! They made me feel comfortable and made sure that my car was protected for you. Would definitely recommend working with them.

Kay Malloy
April 19th, 2018 Edison, NJ DETAILS

My college roommate recommended Protect My Car to me six months ago. I thank her all the time because Protect My Car has been there for me multiple times when I needed them. My Car has not been the most reliable but Protect My Car definitely is! I recommend them to all my friends.

Donna Moore
April 13th, 2018 Piscataway, NJ DETAILS

My husband and I were the first ones in our family to sign up with protect my car. We loved them so much that we recommended them to the rest of our family. Now our two daughters and both our son in laws have protect my car as well. All of us have absolutely loved the services we have received. The benefits have been amazing!

Fatimah Stovall
April 12th, 2018 Edison, NJ DETAILS

I have been with Protect My Car for a year now and I would just like to say how much I like their services. They have always been there when I needed them. The two claims I have made were extremely easy and quick. Their staff is kind and efficient. I recommend them to all my friends and family.

Jessica Hoover
April 11th, 2018 Garland, TX DETAILS

I received a call last week from Tiffany with Protect My Car. At first I thought she was just a normal sales person just trying to sell me something. Then I started to talk to her more and she really was very sincere. She answered all my questions honestly and I did not get that icky feeling she was just trying to get my money. She was very knowledgeable. She explained all the great benefit Protect My Car has to offer. I explained to her I wanted to do some more research. So then I researched the company myself and found all the great reviews they had. I called Tiffany back and signed myself up. I am excited to have all the amazing coverage.

Amy yates
April 10th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS

I absolutely love how easy my claim was with Protect My Car. I brought my car in for repairs to the mechanic. Protect My Car worked with the mechanic and all I had to do was show them my id card and pay my deductible. I saved a lot of money compared to if I would have had to pay for the repairs outright. The representative from Protect My Car was so easy to work with.

kendall sims
April 10th, 2018 Edison, NJ DETAILS

I am so happy I decided to get an extended warranty with protect my car last year. I have had to make 5 claims since I signed up. The staff at protect my car has been so great. They are always so knowledgeable and helpful. The amount of money I have saved on repairs has definitely paid for the warranty.

Darcy Cresswell
April 9th, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS

Unfortunately my car has been having a lot of problems so I have been using protect my car a lot. All the staff I have spoken with at protect my car have been great. They have been so helpful. My car problems have been frustrating but they have made it so much easier for me. They have always made sure I knew what was going on with my repairs and let me know when to expect the repairs to be completed. Their communication is impeccable.

Erika Mazurek
April 9th, 2018 Edison, NJ DETAILS

On our vacation to Florida to visit Disney World, our transmission went out on our Toyota Sienna. We made a call to Protect My Car and the customer service rep was able to walk us through the procedure of getting our van fixed. Protect My Car was able to get us a rental van while ours was being fixed. They really made the experience very easy and stress free.

Rosa Weatherford
April 9th, 2018 Schiller Park, IL DETAILS

I have had a couple friends recommend Protect My Car to me so I had to call them today. I just got off the phone with Olivia a representative from Protect My Car. She went through all the benefits of having an extended warranty and all the different plans I could choose from. She was very sweet, patient and knowledgeable. She was so great I decided to sign up today.

Rose Sims
April 9th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS

This is embarrassing but last week I locked my keys in my truck. I was getting my groceries out of the trunk when the keys fell in as I was shutting it. Unfortunately the doors were all locked. I called protect my car and they were amazing. They had roadside assistance there to help me in 20 minutes. I am so happy roadside assistance is included in my plan.

Sharen Buck
April 9th, 2018 Edison, NJ DETAILS

Protect My Car has given me outstanding service. I was in the market for a warranty company and my boyfriend recommended them to me. Stephanie from Protect My Car handled the claim I submitted a couple weeks ago and she was so thorough. I recommend them to everyone. I couldn’t be happier with the service I have received thus far.

Jeff Polizzi
January 5th, 2017 Clearwater, FL

Protect My Car has helped my family and I 4 different times since I have purchased my extended warranty contract for my used car. The claims department is very fair, my last repair was $4,103.67 and of that Protect My Car paid a total of $3,649 + I paid my $100 deductible. The difference was related to a hose and some fluids which is not covered by the contract I chose so I paid that difference. Consumers need to understand the terms of Protect My Car's contracts, Protect My Car has the best billing options, they allowed me to pay my 5 year contract off over 4 years making my monthly payment 65% lower than the so called "Top Rated Companies" on this site. Protect My Car's roadside assistance department has had a tow truck pick me up 4 times and they did live up to their 35 minute pick up guaranteed time.