Protect My Car

7.0

Protect My Car is the current name of a company providing extended service contracts to consumers. The plans are administered by United Contract Service Group, which shares the company's address. Past names of Protect My Car include Solace and Precision Auto Protection. This company should be approached with extreme caution, as there are many examples uncovered in the research and reporting of this review of misleading information by the company.

The Good

• Basic Warranty Features
  • Other Features

Basic Warranty Features

Protect My Car offers three choices of extended service plans from which customers can choose. These offer coverage that is cumulative, with added features being offered for higher-tiered plans. The Driveline plan is designed for higher-mileage vehicles and covers the engine, transmission, drive axles, fuel systems, and electrical systems. The Select plan offers the above protection in addition to heating and cooling systems, lubricated parts of the brake system, temperature control, and the ABS master cylinder. The Supreme plan offers coverage which is more similar to traditional bumper-to-bumper coverage. The plan includes coverage for the steering components and front and rear suspension in addition to the above coverages. In addition to the extended service plans, Protect My Car offers a car maintenance repair plan which can reduce the cost of repair bills. The maintenance plan offers roadside assistance, three free oil changes, and two tire rotations per year.

Other Features

Protect My Car offers its customers 24/7 roadside assistance for its customers as a part of all plans. All deductibles are waived for services provided as roadside assistance. The company does not disclose limitations to its towing coverage, which is unusual. Included in the service is emergency jump starts to the covered vehicle, vehicle lockout services (key cutting is owner's responsibility), flat tire change to the covered vehicle (spare not included in coverage), and fluid delivery (cost for fluids are the owner's responsibility). For repairs which are covered by Protect My Car's service plans, the company offers rental car reimbursement of to $30.00 per day, for seven days, or a maximum of $210 per covered claim. Those with an Ambassador plan can receive rental car reimbursement for up to $90, or three days at $30.

The Bad

• Warranty Cost
  • Basic Warranty Length
  • Powertrain Warranty
  • Plans Are Not Available Nationwide
  • Time in Business
  • Customer service

Warranty Cost

Protect My Car offers its customers a 30-day money-back guarantee, monthly interest-free payments, and low deductibles for its service. The company does not disclose its specific costs beyond these statements.

Basic Warranty Length

Protect My Car does not disclose the average length of the terms for its service contracts.

Powertrain Warranty

Each of the service contracts offered by Protect My Car includes some aspects found in a manufacturer's powertrain warranty, with the engine, drive axles, and transmission covered. As repairs to these components are often very expensive, for them to be covered, the customer must have immaculate record keeping of all maintenance (tune-ups, oil changes, etc.) to avoid the claim being denied. Anecdotally, there are many reports of claims on these parts being denied by the company and its former identities.

Plans Are Not Available Nationwide

Protect My Car does not service customers residing in Missouri, Louisiana, Washington, and Oklahoma. Attempts to learn if covered repairs would be done in these states if a customer is traveling were not answered by the company.

Time in Business

Protect My Car states that it was founded in 2005. Protect My Car began operation in August 2015. Prior to this, the company was known as Solace (January 2015 to August 2015). Before January 2015, the company operated as Precision Auto Protection. There is no verifiable information validating that any of these corporate entities for vehicle service plans started in 2005; but one of the many corporations registered to the founders, Craig M. Rubino and Joseph C. Rubino, Advanced Marketing and Processing, was founded in 2005. There are several reports of customers being denied service on covered repairs with both Solace and Precision Auto Protection. These companies have websites which either automatically redirect to Protect My Car or have multiple dead links. Precision Auto Protection has its own site, but all social media links are those for Protect My Car.

There are numerous reports on reputable review and evaluation sites which state that the customer support for Protect My Car is lacking. These reports fall primarily into one of two categories: refusals of claims, refunds, etc. or engages in high-pressure sales tactics. Many people are dismayed to learn that because they either did not perform regular maintenance on their vehicle or did not keep records of performed maintenance, that their contracts are essentially worthless and companies will not provide service on their service contracts without these records, even if the customer has paid for protection. This is a common clause in extended service contracts. As such, customers must be fully aware of what their responsibilities are in order to avoid paying for protection that is essentially worthless. The other category of common complaints about Protect My Car includes harassing interactions with customer service or sales representatives and high-pressure sales techniques. Among reputable companies in the industry, there are very few allegations of these behaviors. Protect My Car has had a significant number of complaints about its interactions with prospective and current customers. The company is the defendant in a current and ongoing legal action for its violations of telemarketing practices. Some people report that they were verbally harassed to the point of the customer service representative engaging in insulting language and name calling. These reports are too frequent to ignore and unacceptable in any professional environment. View the Top Car Warranty Companies

The Bottom Line

There are significant concerns about Protect My Car which were uncovered by BestCompany.com in the course of this review. Nearly every one of the negative points discussed in this review is sufficient reason for customers to avoid Protect My Car as a consumer. This company should be approached with extreme caution.

View Other Car Warranty Companies

Manzer Atwood

February 21st, 2018 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS

Today I received a call from Jessica from Protect My Car. She was extremely friendly and well informed. She explained all the benefits for their extended warranty and we figured out what plan would work best for me. She was very courteous and walked me through the process of setting up my automatic payments. She made this process really easy.

Lora Parks

February 18th, 2018 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS

I cannot say enough great things about Protect my car. I have saved so much money on the three claims I submitted including the free oil changes I have received. Their benefits are so worth the cost. This past year due to my recommendation my mom, dad and brother all signed up with Protect my car. I recommend them to everyone.

Richter Kathy

February 17th, 2018 Piscataway, NJ DETAILS

Excellent service!! The representative had great communication with the mechanics shop and me while the mechanic was working on my truck. I also love the free oil changes and 24 hour roadside assistance. Just all around happy with my policy from protect my car.

Diane Detra

February 16th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

A sales representative called me last week from Protect my car and she was kind and informative. She gave me all the details about the different programs. She was patient with me and not pushy at all. I was able to choose the best policy for me. I have not had to make a claim yet but I am hoping when I do it will be as easy as signing up.

Josefina Crenshaw

February 15th, 2018 Addison, TX DETAILS

I would highly recommend Protect My Car. I have been with them for a year now and they have been great with everything. I love the free oil changes I get with my policy, it is such a bonus. Their staff has been so knowledgeable, informative and courteous.

Burkett Ogden

February 14th, 2018 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS

I just signed up with Protect my car and I am so excited because they gave me a student discount. I am a full time student and work very hard to pay all my expenses so this discount really helps. The representative was so nice and helpful. She helped me find a policy that was perfect for me. She also helped me set up my payment for automatic withdrawal, which is great for me because it is one less bill to worry about mailing a check for. Everything so far has been so easy and convenient.

Oppenheim Reily

February 13th, 2018 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS

I am so happy I chose PMC over all the other companies I researched. The main reason I decided to go with them is their 24/7 Roadside assistance and I have used it multiple times since signing up. They are so quick and reliable.

Burris Camille

February 12th, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS

I am so pleased with the service I have received after the claim I filed for my car with Protect My Car. They really took care of me. Every representative I spoke with so helpful regarding the progress of my vehicle. They worked with the mechanic to get everything done as quickly as possible.

Margo Gillies

February 9th, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS

Protect My Car has been so amazing. Their staff has been so helpful every step of the way every time I needed them. I am so glad I signed up for the coverage last year because I have saved hundreds of dollars so far.

Pippen Scofield

February 9th, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS

My car warranty ended recently and I did a lot of research on extended warranties and different companies. I decided to go with PMC because they fit my budget and they had great ratings on all the websites I checked. So far I am very satisfied with the service and the coverage.

Louise Eleanor

February 8th, 2018 Piscataway, NJ DETAILS

I have been with Protect my car for three months and I had to make my first claim about two weeks ago. I just would like to rave about how delightful their agents have been. They have been so kind and helpful with the tiring car problems I am having.

Kilpatrick Dresser

February 8th, 2018 Elk Grove Village, IL DETAILS

Protect My Car has been so affordable. Thank goodness I signed up with them last year because they have saved me so much money on repairs for my Honda Accord. Their staff has also been wonderful. They answered every question I have had so far and helped me with my claims. I highly recommend them!

Percival Enger

February 7th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

One month ago my car broke down. I called Protect my car and they towed my car to the dealership extremely quickly, which was really important because I had a job interview that day. Luckily I was able to make my job interview since I did not have to wait forever for the tow truck, like you usually have to with other companies. Protect my car was also great with every other aspect of the claim.

Patricia Amie

February 7th, 2018 Lewes, DE DETAILS

Last week I received a sales call in which I normally just hang up on but the sales representative Jennifer from Protect my car was so knowledgeable, polite and not pushy at all I decided to listen. I am so happy I did because I cannot believe the coverage I get for the cost of the extended warranty. I have been having some car issues lately and I feel like this is really going to benefit me.

Keech Gurule

February 7th, 2018 Addison, TX DETAILS

My original car warranty ended about a year ago and I have been with Protect My Car since then. I am so happy I decided to sign up with Protect My Car because I have had 2 claims this year. The first time I needed to use them I was stuck on the side of the road and they had a tow truck there very quickly. Both claims went very smoothly and the repairs were done quickly. I have saved quite a bit of money out of my pocket since I had the coverage. I would definitely recommend Protect My Car.

Small yarbroughk

December 30th, 2017 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS

I cannot rave enough about this company. They have saved me so much money and time. I am so happy my sister recommended them to me when she did because about a month later I had multiple issues with my car and they took care of everything for me. They sent me to the mechanic and kept in touch with me regarding my car. The process was so easy and so much cheaper than if I didn't have the warranty. I highly recommend them!

Mary Jones

November 28th, 2017 New York, NY DETAILS

After my car’s original auto warranty expired at 36,000 miles I started doing research on extended auto warranty companies. Protect My Car had the best benefits by far. I called and spoke with a very friendly representative and she set me up with a plan that was perfect for me. I have had two claims and they have handled them seamlessly. I would highly recommend Protect My Car!

Monte Rankins

November 27th, 2017 Edison, NJ DETAILS

I was referred by sister to Protect My Car and since day one the have been great. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. They set me up with a plan in my budget that fits my needs. They have been so helpful with any questions I have had about my warranty.

Sharpe Bissell

November 21st, 2017 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Protect my car has been a lifesaver for me. I am so happy I gave them the time of day when the sales representative called me that day. I have since had multiple claims that they filed for me and handled them extremely well. I have saved so much money thanks to them. I would definitely recommend them!!

Ohlson Mckinnis

November 21st, 2017 Indianapolis, IN DETAILS

After a lot of research on many different websites Protect My Car offered the best value for the money. I have had Protect My Car for the past year and a half and it has been a great experience so far. In the two instances I have had to use them the process was seamless and painless. I highly recommend Protect My Car!!

Donlin Ronald

November 15th, 2017 Hialeah, FL DETAILS

I have had Protect My Car for about a year now and it has been well worth it. I had one claim and Protect My Car handled it impeccably. The roadside assistance sent a tow truck to pick my vehicle up very quickly. They towed my vehicle to the mechanic I chose. All I had to do was pay the deductible. They communicated with the mechanic to get the repairs done as fast as possible. The claims representative let me know the process and kept me updated. The process was quick, efficient and easy. I would absolutely recommend Protect My Car to all!

Saffold Winland

November 9th, 2017 Edison, NJ DETAILS

After initially hesitating about getting extended warranty coverage I was referred by my parents to sign up with “Protect My Car”. Shortly after signing up for coverage I had to replace my radiator in my Toyota Camry. I made a claim with a representative from Protect My Car. The process was easy and the staff was very helpful! I am glad I signed up and I would highly recommend Protect My Car.

Patel Gibbons

November 8th, 2017 Edison, NJ DETAILS

One happy customer! I looked into many companies and Protect My Car stood out amongst the rest. They definitely have the most benefits and are the most affordable. I have had one claim since signing up and customer service has been wonderful. They have walked me through the whole process, kept me informed and made it very easy for me.

marlena bozeman

November 7th, 2017 New York, NY DETAILS

A friend referred me to PMC about six months ago and I couldn’t be happier. They have great coverage for a low cost. The staff is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. When I visit family over the holidays I will be referring PMC to them.

Cornish Potvin

November 5th, 2017 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS

I cannot thank Protect My Car enough! My car broke down on the side of the road twice and they had a tow truck to me extremely quickly both times. They worked seamlessly with the mechanic to get my car fixed as soon as possible. Their customer service was wonderful and the price was affordable. I would recommend them to anyone!

Jeff Polizzi

January 5th, 2017 Clearwater, FL

Protect My Car has helped my family and I 4 different times since I have purchased my extended warranty contract for my used car. The claims department is very fair, my last repair was $4,103.67 and of that Protect My Car paid a total of $3,649 + I paid my $100 deductible. The difference was related to a hose and some fluids which is not covered by the contract I chose so I paid that difference. Consumers need to understand the terms of Protect My Car's contracts, Protect My Car has the best billing options, they allowed me to pay my 5 year contract off over 4 years making my monthly payment 65% lower than the so called "Top Rated Companies" on this site. Protect My Car's roadside assistance department has had a tow truck pick me up 4 times and they did live up to their 35 minute pick up guaranteed time.