7.4

a month ago

CARCHEX

verified
CARCHEX offers 5- and 7-year warranties at a number of levels for consumers.

CARCHEX was originally founded in 1999 to help consumers purchasing used vehicles have more peace of mind by providing reports and inspections. The company grew and now offers extended service contracts and automobile insurance, but rather than underwrite and administer these products itself, CARCHEX became a broker, partnering with other companies to offer customers more options.

The Good

• Warranty Cost
  • Basic Warranty Length
  • Powertrain Warranty
  • Other Features

Warranty Cost

CARCHEX offers price quotes easily, but as the quote depends highly on coverage, payment options, mileage, make, and model of the vehicle, there is too much variability for BestCompany.com to provide a pricing estimate. The company offers its customers the option to finance their contract for up to 24 months and accepts all major credit cards. Plans normally come with a deductible, with many reports of the deductible being $200 per repair for at least some plans, which is higher than most competitors, which usually have a $100 deductible per repair.

Basic Warranty Length

Unlike most of its competitors, CARCHEX is transparent about the length of coverage available for each service plan. Most of the plans sold through CARCHEX can be purchased for a maximum of seven years, but there are shorter terms of coverage available. It is important to note that not all of the plans are renewable, so customers are usually counseled to purchase the term with the longest term length by CARCHEX representatives.

Powertrain Warranty

CARCHEX's powertrain warranty gives coverage for the engine, transmission, drive axles and other parts of a vehicle's powertrain, but the extent of coverage for these components varies by plan and company.

Other Features

As CARCHEX is simply a broker for auto warranty providers, each plan is slightly different. All of the available extended service plans include 24/7 roadside assistance. Limits to the individual plan's coverage vary based upon the administrator, but each of the plans include towing, emergency fuel delivery, flat tire changes, and emergency lockout service. Some of the added coverages available in most plans are keyfob replacement, windshield replacement, seals and gaskets rider, trip interruption assistance, and tire and road hazard protection.

Most of the plans offer comparable coverage to other companies with respect to roadside assistance. The options to protect keyfobs, windshields, and tires are unique in the industry, with most companies not offering coverage for these parts.

The Bad

• Basic warranty features
  • Lack of transparency
  • What customers are saying

Basic Warranty Features

As CARCHEX is a broker for Assurant Solutions, American Auto Shield, and Royal Administration Services, the features in the extended service plans from these companies varies greatly, and it is not within the scope of this review to compare all of these plans offered through CARCHEX.

Lack of Transparency

In spite of offering 16 plans divided into five levels of coverage, CARCHEX, when compared to other extended service plan brokers, is significantly less transparent than other brokers and does not offer much for comparison shoppers as far as covered and excluded coverage. The plans which are offered through CARCHEX are divided into categories of coverage which represent the level of coverage, Titanium, Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze.

What Customers Are Saying

Before paying an expensive claim, the administrator often requires that evidence for all maintenance which was performed on the vehicle be provided, which includes oil changes, tuneups, etc. If this information is not available, the claim will be denied, as the terms of the service plan require that the vehicle be properly maintained with all records kept. It is important to note that there are several anecdotal reports of claims being denied due to check engine codes associated with the vehicle even before the current purchaser even owned the vehicle. These claims cannot be confirmed or refuted, but are themes which are frequently mentioned on reputable consumer reporting sites. CARCHEX either has extremely positive or extremely negative reviews. There are very few that rate the company anywhere in between these two extremes. Those who have had a bad experience with the company are very vocal, to the point of alleging that CARCHEX is a scam. One should note that CARCHEX generally receives positive reviews for its customer service during the shopping and sales experience and the administrating company receives poor ratings for its denial of claims. As most people consider that they have purchased from CARCHEX, they are not always aware that another company is actually administering their service contracts.

The Bottom Line

CARCHEX, like a few other companies reviewed by BestCompany.com, is a broker for extended vehicle service plans. Simply put, the company partners with companies that provide extended service contracts for vehicles. Consumers receive quotes for coverage through CARCHEX, but it is important for them to know that CARCHEX is not the company that will be paying claims on their plans. This creates several confusing scenarios for customers who were not fully aware of this relationship when they received quotes.

As is the case with all of the extended warranty products which have been reviewed by BestCompany.com, it is critical for customers to fully understand their requirements under the contract, since they may unknowingly void the contract and not even know about it until a claim is needed, even if they have been diligent in their payments. There are several ways that this can happen, but the most common ones are skipping recommended maintenance visits or failure to keep all records of maintenance visits.

Anne M Landefeld
April 20th, 2018 DETAILS

facts reported are accurate and the facts are relational to the areas of concern when purchasing a car

Joe
April 10th, 2018 Ventnor City, NJ DETAILS

The provide a ok product and it's worth the cost.

Milo
March 29th, 2017

So far so good. Anthony was on point in sales. So hopefully i did the right thing. I love my vehicle. So i went with the best. Carchex. Please dont let me down if ever i need you. Thank you, Anthony.

JoannaLynn Hernandez
March 24th, 2017

Fast and accurate. . Easy to read. Received an email right after the order and was able to view the report instantly

Carmine Louis Maieli
March 17th, 2017 Tampa, FL

Christopher B, your sales agent, was very helpful in explaining all the details of the warranty packages he's offered. I was pleased to purchase one of both, value and piece of mind and would recommend Carchex and Christopher to others. Thank you.

mike
March 15th, 2017 The Dalles, OR

you were very good and helpfull thank you ... mike

Peter
March 13th, 2017 Brandywine, MD

Telephone sales were excellent; thank you for comprehensive coverage and assistance with my vehicle.

David Foster
March 6th, 2017

I paid Carchex to inspect someone else's vehicle! After completing a form online we waited four days for the inspection report to be made available. During those 4 days we were unable to get anyone to respond to our requests for updates or other critical information and the vehicle was sold to someone else. We paid over $200 for Carchex to inspect someone else's vehicle.

Glen Yearwood
March 3rd, 2017 Jamaica, NY

It was ok for starters. rep was informative and respectful

Billett Heiligh
February 28th, 2017 Washington, DC

customer service was great, the sales associate knew exactly what package I was looking for.

Gary Frazier
February 28th, 2017 Richmond Hill, NY

my experience thus far was wonderful the sales person mr cary was very informative of all the questions i had to ask and knowledgeable to finite degree which made my selection process the best. i hope the rest of my experience if i should ever have to use the warranty will be as great.

Tony Navarro
February 27th, 2017 Weatherford, TX

I just signed up New Policyholder Sales Rep. Ryan was very Helpful Thanks!

GARY COOK
February 16th, 2017 Washington, DC

The "Customer Service" rep provided a professional and detail presentation of the product and services I would be receiving upon signing up for a vehicle warranty.

Evelyn Woodson
February 14th, 2017

Was very knowledgeable very good customer service

John Schulker
February 8th, 2017 Tucson, AZ

He did a great job in telling me all that I needed to know

Raymond Neyerlin
February 8th, 2017 Mobile, AL

All information was given to in clear and well delivered. I was very happy the way it went.

Kathyrn Ann Gibbons-Bourke
January 31st, 2017 Clifton, AZ

Our agent was very knowledgeable and very courteous. He answered all my questions and I felt very comfortable dealing with him.

Martin Murray
January 30th, 2017 Hyattsville, MD

Called to cancel warranty on one car and purchased new warranty from Carly will definitely recommend to my friends

Robert Hunter Jr
January 19th, 2017 Washington, DC

Shanita answered all my questions and was very patient, Excellent customer service!

John Works
January 16th, 2017 Atlanta, GA

Customer Service agent was very helpful in my selection of the right plan for my needs

Aaron Ludwig
January 16th, 2017 Selkirk, NY

Everything was awesome. Very helpful and very easy to use. The sales associate was very responsive and answered all of my questions.

Cassandra Leigh Gonzales
January 13th, 2017

William was very professional knowledgeable and courteous. He was patient with me and my many questions as well as multiple vehicle inquiries.

Kevin Price
January 16th, 2017 Providence, RI

The rep worked with me and took the time to go over all my questions and let me go back and forth between companies till I was satisfied.

Willa Moody
December 9th, 2016

Everything was explained thoroughly. The person who I spoke to was very helpful with the information that I was provided to make a decision to accept the service plan.

Ginger
January 16th, 2017 Atlanta, GA

Sales agent was very informed as well as personable and professional.

Bryan Lynch
December 6th, 2016 Canton, MI

Very happy with Marcus. He wasn't pushy but did professionally followed-up and answered my questions. Thank you Marcus V. Bryan Lynch

Alexander Ferenczy
January 16th, 2017

The young women I spoke with was very knowledgeable, polite, and never pushy. She also never mentioned other companies, but focused solely on what CarChex had to offer in a very positive way, building those strengths and not deriding other companies. She continued to be helpful and pleasant, even after I said that I was just beginning the search for extended warranty and would not purchase right away. She emailed what I requested and gave the time for reading, digesting, comparing and deciding. (Another e-company representative questioned whether I had checked company reputations/reviews and was aware of their problems. She also kept returning to the "deal" I would qualify for, only if committing to purchase during that first phone call...totally pushy just to make the sale, and obnoxious when I wanted to keep shopping...) My CarChex experience was perfect...very well done!

Debra Hobbs
January 16th, 2017

It has been a very joyful experience during business at Novak Motors. David (I forgot his last name) the saleman, was soo very nice and also Jason too. Both of them was very professional and friendly..There was No High Pressure sales pitch from neither one. They work real good with me and help me get the vehicle I wanted. I will be telingl all my friends and family about this company. All Thumbs Up !!!

Joe Schrider
October 14th, 2016 Henderson, NV

Shaun was incredible. Explained my coverage and was not pushy. He worked very had to match other quotes.

Glen Tramel
October 10th, 2016 Pomona, CA

I just recently enrolled because of referral of son. He is highly satisfied with the care he receives so am sure that will be the case with me.

Martin Scheid
November 11th, 2016 Katy, TX

Will F did an awesome job quoting my plan and helping my decide the best option I chose for my extended warranty. I was already a customer of CarChex and wanted a competitive plan for my second car.

Dr. R. Fulton Hargrove,ll
October 6th, 2016 Egg Harbor Township, NJ

Your prority coverage exceeds the completion

Terry Onstank
August 22nd, 2016 Baraboo, WI

Thanks

Leopold Blackwood
August 12th, 2016 Linthicum Heights, MD

Took my vehicle in to get the service issues that I encountered to get repaired and the warranty covered nothing that the sales agent who sold me the warranty explained it would. Extremely disappointed and even the technician at the dealership I went to stated he had never heard of Carchex paying for repairs. The few times he processed customers that had Carchex as a coverage company, he hated telling the customer that the company would pay for nothing because of the frustration that happens. Here is it I waited 30 days and went over 1,000 miles and no warranty coverage because of the inability of the agent to disclose everything. Yes, I read the disclaimers and the warranty packet. Complete waste of my time and money.

Jim
August 10th, 2016 Reno, NV

Read the fine print on the warranty. Especially the grace period. I took my used car in for a check at the mechanics and discovered the AC compressor blew... CarChex refused to pay the bill because I took the car in "too soon". I cancelled the policy after my car sat in the dealership for a week. The process cost me time and money. Be careful when working with warranty companies.

Mike Shattles
August 5th, 2016 GA

The gentleman who handled my business was honest and professional. There was little or no pressure dealing with the sales person.

Barry Johnson El
August 5th, 2016 Chicago, IL

Very professional representative nice polite explain every detail

Keith R. Smith Iii
August 2nd, 2016 College Park, MD

Perfect customer service. Walked me trough what I needed

Pedro Cervantes
July 12th, 2016 Austin, TX

Dan was extremely helpful and patient answering all my questions. I love the fact that with Carchex we deal directly with them and not some middleman company. Very happy with the service they offer.

Ty Olsen
July 11th, 2016 San Diego, CA

Good customer service. Low pressure sales and very informative. Have not had the chance to use the services at this time, but impressed with the customer support.