US Bank Logo

6.2

LAST UPDATED: August 30th, 2021

US Bank has been in operation since 1863. They are a consumer and commercial banking business with total assets of $403 Billion. There are over 3,000 US Bank offices and 5,000 ATM's across the nation. The financial services institution provides solutions at the personal banking level as well as banking solutions for small businesses, commercial organizations and governments. The Minneapolis-based company was the nation's fifth-largest bank by deposits as of December 2013.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and US Bank reviews from real customers.

Wells Fargo Logo
#1 Wells Fargo chevron_right
3.7
Chase Bank Logo
#2 Chase Bank chevron_right
4.1
Capital One Logo
#3 Capital One chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Accounts
  • Online Banking
  • Educational Expenses
  • Customer Service

Variety of Accounts

US Bank offers five types of checking accounts and five types of savings accounts.

Customers can pick a checking account with a monthly maintenance fee that matches their needs and financial circumstances. On some, but not all, of its accounts the maintenance fee can be waived. However, all checking accounts include access to branches in more than 25 states, nationwide ATMs, and online banking options.

Additionally, for customers looking for a savings account, US Bank has various options depending on your needs. Accounts vary on what you are saving for and either have a $0 monthly maintenance fee or a low fee that cannot be waived. In addition, each account requires an opening deposit.

US Bank also provides various credit card options for personal banking, as well as business checking account options.

Online Banking

To meet the needs of today's customers, US Bank has a spread of online services available. Online banking services provided by US Bank include mobile banking and mobile wallets. With US Bank's mobile app customers can deposit checks, pay bills, and transfer card balances, allowing customers to do their basic banking quickly without visiting a US Bank branch location.

Educational Expenses

US Bank's options also assist college-aged students, as well as adults looking to return to school to complete a degree or pursue post-graduate education.

For young students, US Bank provides student checking and savings accounts with a $0 maintenance fee, as well as student credit cards, there are options for students looking to save money and build credit. Additionally, to help cover costs of college education, and even elementary and secondary education, parents can set up a 529 plan, an investment plan in which contributions grow tax-deferred and remain tax-free if funds are withdrawn.

Whether you have questions or concerns about your accounts or other US Bank products or services, you can reach a US Bank representative 24/7. The company can also be reached through social media.

The Bad

• Monthly Maintenance Fees
  • Overdraft Fees

Monthly Maintenance Fees

Monthly maintenance fees for US Bank checking accounts are relatively high in comparison to other banks. It is important to note that maintenance fees can be waived if a certain account balance is maintained or if a minimum amount is deposited into the account each month.

Overdraft Fees

US Bank has a high fee of $36 for overdraft transactions of more than $5. This fee can be charged up to four times a day, which can quickly accumulate and take a hit on your finances.

The Bottom Line

US Bank has shown that it is constantly growing. Providing services to consumers, small businesses, or commercial companies, there are options for everyone.

US Bank has much to offer customers with its wide range of financial services. Customers are free to bank online or use US Bank's mobile app to deposit a check. Customers can also save for college and find ways to finance their journey in receiving a higher education.

Our recommendation: If you're in a rush, choose another bank whose sign up information is more readily available. If you have time when choosing who to bank with, consider US Bank, as it is the fifth-largest bank in the nation overall.

3.8

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

The US bank I use is actually inside a Meijers grocery store, which makes it a bit of a hassle to go to and is the reason for 3 out of 5 stars. Anytime I need to use the ATM I have to go inside a large grocery store, instead of using a drive through like most banks. On the other hand they offer decent rates for their credit cards and loans. They have an app that lets me deposit check from my phone. I just wish there was a physical location rather than the grocery store chain.

Fred Frontino Mesa, AZ

I have been with US Bank for a couple of years now and I'm very pleased with them and their policies. As a veteran I appreciate the waived account fee, and the folks at the in store branch in Anthem I use are always very helpful. I highly recommend them.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

US Bank is a world class bank offering good rates, low fees and easy access to my funds. They offer good loan products and help you manage savings accounts into solid financial vehicles. They have financial experts ready to help.

Matthew Driggs Salt Lake City, UT

I have been with US Bank for over 15 years. I have loved working with their private banking division and have always been treated extremely well. my only issue is that their lending practices are so conservative that it almost makes it not worth getting a loan from them. The customer service is always awesome.

Ebony Page ,

The bank offers enough convenience for daily use and is very safe as over many years I never encountered a single problem with it!

Ioana Asiata Herriman, UT

US Bank has very knowledgeable staff who are always willing to go above and beyond. Whenever I need to call in to customer care they take care of the issues I have the first time and I don't have to deal with being connected to other departments ten times. I would totally recommend US Bank to anyone!

Brandie Rudy West Jordan, UT

US Bank couldn't be easier to bank with. The access to accounts online and with the mobile app makes my busy life so much simpler. I love the options for alerts so I am never surprised by a charge or late payment.

Angelina Hamilton Gulfport, MS

Use this bank with work. I am in accounting and finance. I like the features that are available online. It has all the reports I need. I can pull a report each day to see if any checks didn’t clear way before I get it in the mail. It definitely makes my job easier!

LisaH San Francisco, CA

I have been using US Bank for more than 15 years now. I have other bank accounts too. Best experience with US Bank even though on my Auto loan they took a little too long to make a decision.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

We have really liked using US Bank. Their customer service has always been great whether we call in or go into a branch. I like knowing that no mater what questions I ask them they will respond and not treat me like I am dumb. They've been a great company to work with.

Nana Asiata Herriman, UT

We have been banking with US Bank for over five years and we love it. Their customer service reps are always quick to resolve any problems we've ever had. Always looking out for our best interest.

Troy Gundersen American Fork, UT

US Bank has been my go-to bank for business accounts. They have the services that have helped me keep my business moving. The only drawback for me is that they don't have enough branches. I have to drive 15 minutes to get to the closest one. I know, it's a first world problem.

Shanna South Jordan, UT

I had my identity stolen and an account was opened up at US Bank. The staff there was really helpful in getting the accounts shut down and reporting to the credit agencies. They made the process so much easier than expected.

Tim Johnson Eureka, IL

Have 2 credit cards and balance transfers gave me 20 months of 0 interest, limits aren't bad either

Jeremy Brown Riverton, UT

I had a bad experience with a business account. The setup was painful and I could only deposit small amounts in the mobile app. And come to find out after my setup transfers out take extra fees. It was just obnoxious since I have alot of extra work each month because of this.

J d Saint Ann, MO

I've used us bank have check protection So they well clear a check charge you 36.00 Well as it turns out they returned 2 checks one for 18.00 one for 24.00 And not only charged me 36.00 each they did it 36.00 x 4 Sad park did a transfer of funds saving to checking acct...of course they said didn't receive until 5 mins later cant reverse charges..

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

We have been with us bank for our home mortgage. They have been great to work with. We have had a few things come up and they were good to fix the problem. They have great interest rates.

Franklin Seal Moab, UT

I've had my REI US Bank mastercard for 3 years. Twice in that time, their server has mistakenly taken double or triple payments from my checking account to pay my balance. Each time, when I've contacted them about their error, their representatives have stated that the money can ONLY be refunded to my checking account via a paper check in the mail. Each time, it has taken over a week and a half to get the money back. They take the money out of my account in less than 24 hours. When they make a mistake, they take more than a week to give the money back. They refuse to send it back to me using the same method that they used to take it from me. I have asked, and each time they refuse. I understand the game: though the amount they owe me is a small amount, when multiplied by thousands of small amounts, it adds up. So, every day they can delay the return of my money means millions of dollars more on their books in the long run. I'm so over it. I'm cancelling my account and looking for a card company that can return my money to me as speedily as they take it from me.😡

Cody Linden Lehi, UT

I've had US Bank for over 5 years now and have not been disappointed. No random or hidden charges to my accounts. A good rewards system with my credit card and trustworthy customer service.

Darbles32 Managua, MN

I have been a customer of this bank for my whole life and it has served me well. The employees are always kind and I am able to find a U.S. bank near me almost anywhere

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been a customer of US Bank over the years and I am totally happy with their accounts and account features, online banking, and lending capabilities.

scott

great customer service. professional and competent. sometimes the wait time is a little bit long if I have to go in my branch for some reason. lots of branches.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

I used US Bank as my small business bank. I really enjoyed their low prices for my small business. They had lots of rewards and they have lots of bank locations where I live.

Gary Mayer South Jordan, UT

Have financed my autos in the past and have been very happy with the customer service I have received from them. First rate

Bonnie Slocum Layton, UT

We banked with US Bank for over ten years when we lived in Idaho. They were really awful to work with whenever we had a bank related problem. They were never helpful and always got moody when it came to pleasing the customer. They would always refer back to the company policy and say that they couldn't do anything to change it. They would stick giant fees on the account when the slightest degree of lapse occurred on the account.

Lyssa Eagle Mountain, UT

I’ve struggled with my banking services with USBank for years and I’m fixing to switch as they charged my account massive overdraft fees over $67 worth of charges after getting laid off. Over $1k in fees and refused to work with me on it and sent it to collections. I’ll be switching as soon as I get it paid off.

SnowballH Sandy, UT

I've used US Bank for both personal accounts and business accounts. They've been great to work with over the last 20 years that I've known them.

Tori smith Mesa, AZ

US bank is always willing to work with me and has the best customer service. They are on top of their game

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

While they have great loan products, they are very slow and their communications with clients isn't very good. They treat some people like they should be grateful that they are getting a loan from them.

Douglas Kempf

Good easy to use website, good customer service when banking in person, very responsive to a fraudulent use of my debit card

MatthewMcGill

I feel like they charge an excessive amount of fees. They will hold funds if your account is getting low and wait for you to overdraft your account before processing all of the charges and then charging you for all the previous purchases.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

I deposit my rent checks at this bank for my landlord and the customer service is always really great and I am in and out fast.

Ryan Hancock San Francisco, CA

I have a small business account at US Bank and I needed to get some checks. It was real difficult to get anyone in the branch to wait on me and then they ended pushing me off to another person. I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Tricia Laratta Akron, OH

I have always had to us bank for my child support. It was easy to use and convenent at the store

Tiffany I Elkridge, MD

My mortgage is with US Bank. Low rates, easy online portal to manage balance and payments.

Bill Nelson Salt Lake City, UT

I have a lone through them and like the fact I can make payments through the website.

Gary Whitney Portland, OR

They help when you need it understand when you are having problems

Blake Hunnel

I have a mortgage and a checking account. They are unable to give me an online account because I don't have a checking account. Lots of other little stuff too

Jacob

The fees are not the best when they send 'incentives' however, they will take care of your needs.

Thomas

Easy doing business, helpful when needed, many convenient locations.

Ruth

Terrible bank. High interest, not helpful to their clients, I have had nothing but disappointments since I joined that bank and plan to get out soon.

George Hassemer

personal attention/assistance with questions/waived fees

LaRue Wright Austin, TX

Used them for years with fantastic service

SHENA LALLY Dayton, OH

Greet me by name. Do all the necessary paperwork for me. Personable.

Lynda Daluz Madison, WI

Best employees and the best service without all the fees

Kim Fox Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Lots of locations, good customer service.

Barb

Easy access, in my neighborhood, good customer service

GEORGIA ALBERTSON

Always helpful friendly and knowledgeable

Harvey Olff

a very customer friendly bank they have great rates

Duane Harrison