Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Capital One

Capital One Logo

6.9

Capital One

A Fortune 500 company, Capital One is a bank with most of its branches in the District of Columbia, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, New York, New Jersey and Virginia. Since 1988, Capital One offers financial products to its customers to meet their personal, small business and commercial needs. The Virginia-based bank’s services include credit cards, home loans and savings accounts. Capital One has made a commitment to enhance the well-being of individuals and families in their local communities. Its consistent growth may be attributed to the fact that it has had the same CEO at its helm, Richard Fairbank, an American businessman who founded Capital One.

The Good

• Locations
  • Great services
  • Loan options

Locations

Capital One Bank has 1,000 locations, more than 12,500 ATMs, online (wellsfargo.com), and mobile devices. Wells Fargo is across the nation and consumers can go online to find the nearest location or ATM in seconds. If there are other questions one can contact customer service anytime, 7 days a week.

As one of the nation's top 10 largest banks based on deposits, Capital One's total assets are $298.3 billion. Founded in 1988 they have provided services for 27 years to meet customer needs with:

• banking for checking, saving, CDs, kids savings
  • loans for mortgages, home equity, automobiles
  • investments is used through ShareBuilder which is an online brokerage built for user-friendly investing. type of investments include:
    • 1) Individual, 2) Joint, 3) Custodial, 4) Traditional IRA, 5) Roth IRA, and 6) Education savings account
  • consumer and commercial finance services

They are a eastern U.S. bank with 1,000 branches.

Great Services

Capital One has a spread of services to meet financial needs such as:

• Personal checking accounts
  • Business checking
  • Savings accounts
  • CDs
  • Debit cards
  • Credit cards

This company also offers a savings and checking account with:

• no fees or service charges
  • There is no minimum balance required to open a 360 savings
  • The interest on account is accrued daily, compounded monthly and credited to your available balance at the end of each month
  • For a checking account, everything is done online and requires no paper
  • The overdraft fee for checking is $0.03 daily
  • have a way to pay without writing a check or consumer may order a checkbook free the first time then 50 checks for $5

Loan Options

Customers in search of needed funds will also have access to student loans and auto loans. Through Capital One, customers will also have access to online banking, both types of IRAs and protection from fraud and identity theft. For parents planning for the higher education of their children, Capital One has a college savings plans for families to choose from:

• 529 plans
  • Coverdell Education Savings Accounts

Community Investment

If potential customers are worried about Capital One's ability to grow and invest in the community, the numbers say otherwise. Here are the different areas that have been affected by Capital One's community investment commitment and their values:

• Home mortgages and home equity lending, $28.5 billion
  • Small business and small farm lending, $22.5 billion
  • Affordable housing development and commercial revitalization, $25 billion
  • Consumer lending, $104 billion
  • Grants to support critical community services, $450 million

The Bad

• Online bank
  • Higher risks

Online Bank

Capital One is mostly on online bank. For those that like to physically go to an office there are only 1,000 branches in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. This bank is great for residents in those states however for the other 43 states there is no accessibility to branches or ATM's.

Higher Risk

There is a greater risk with using the world wide web to make all banking transactions but this company has had a couple reviews for contacting consumers immediately if fraud is suspected. But there are not as many locations where you can talk to a capital one representative in person. The only way to get human interaction would be through mobile or computer devices with Skype or FaceTime.

The Bottom Line

Capital one is located on the eastern side of the U.S. and have 1,000 branches available. They offer banking for personal, small businesses, and commercial industries. Their focus on creating online banking allows them to decrease fees for checking and saving accounts and eliminating paper for the most part. Great to use if savvy with mobile devices and computers and don't need interaction with capital one employee's.

Customers who choose Capital One will have the confidence that they have chosen the financial services of a Fortune 500 company. The Virginia-based company has a wide range of services including personal checking accounts, savings accounts, credit cards and debit cards.

Our recommendation: Although it's a relatively new bank, Capital One deserves your consideration when picking a financial organization to bank with.

Thomas Hullinger
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use Capital One for my credit cards and they have been great. They have the best rewards programs in the industry and great rates. Capital One also has banking capabilities that offer me everything I need in a bank. I like their accounts that pay a little more interest than other banks on deposits. I have used them for their auto loans and they are easy to use and easy to refinance if needed. They have so many options, I can find one that is right for me.

Sarah
August 2nd, 2018 Fairfax, VA

I've banked with them for years and think they have amazing customer service and really appreciate their products. Highly recommend them and they often have good introduction incentives.

Bruce Knipe
June 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Highest cash back rewards without type of outlet or product limitations. Great website and alerts.

Courtney Mcmillan
June 13th, 2018 Canton, OH DETAILS

Upfront on all charges, great customer service

Warrec
June 13th, 2018 Verona, PA DETAILS

Banking tools are useful but their APR is criminal. have been a loyal customer for almost 10 years, why has my APR never been offered to be reduced?

Steve Dilbeck
June 13th, 2018 Joshua, TX DETAILS

Regardless of perfect payment history they will never give a line of credit increase

Karen Young
June 13th, 2018 Louisville, KY DETAILS

I have been with the company since 1998. They have been on top of any issue I have encountered and have resolved the issue or issues very quickly.

Sadie Scoville
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

My mom uses capital one and she really likes all the cash back that she gets.

Amy Crawley
June 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Customer service helped me apply for a credit card and I love my Capital One credit card! Great perks and customer service.

June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Capital One as a bank, used their credit cards, and I have also had a car loan with them. Every instance has been favorable and I am very pleased with their service, good value for the money, and trustworthiness.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Absolute best cashback program for business card users - can't beat a straight up 2% cash back on everything!

Lauren Millar
May 17th, 2018 DETAILS

Kind of amateurish and flakey at times. Discontinued their merchant services, which I used for my small business; haven't rebuilt their local branch after hurricane Harvey damage, so there is not a convenient location; our personal bankers, which my husband and I interacted with on multiple occasions, over a period of several years, for multiple personal and business accounts and transactions, simply disappeared after Harvey with no explanation. No answers to emails, no notifications by snail mail, nothing. I could go on...

everett williams
May 17th, 2018 DETAILS

Service is good but actually, the services changed when it changed from Chevy Chase Bank was bought by Capital One. You used to get your balance whenever you made a deposit or withdrawal but now you have to ask. Just one of the things that I don't like.

Daniel
May 17th, 2018 DETAILS

Very good bank provides me with the information I need

Mark Lawrence
May 7th, 2018 DETAILS

In every aspect, they exhibit professionalism and courtesy

Jeri Basko
May 2nd, 2018 Lebanon, ME DETAILS

They are a good online bank and responsive when I have had questions.

Michael
April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I love this card for the fact that I can get 2% cash back.

Nathan
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I opened up a rewards card with them and I tend to always use this card whenever we go somewhere. They are great with customer service as well.

Alyssa
December 19th, 2017 Rowlett, TX DETAILS

We went into their branch and they were super helpful and very family friendly (we had 3 kids 3 years old and younger). Their online and mobile app platforms are user friendly and intuitive as well.

Tiffany
December 19th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

We have a Capital One venture card and love it! Their trip eraser is easy to use and I love that we can use it for more than just airfare. The App is awesome and easy to use. We have had a great experience with Capital One!

Kimberly Bronson
December 11th, 2017 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

Wish they had the rewards other companies have. I am closing our account as there are no incentives to keep a card open with them.

Dale Zollinger
November 6th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Hard to work with when you run into a problem.

Gary Mayer
November 6th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

have their credit card and am very happy with their service. I have not had this card long, but so far their customer service is first class.

Alex Murphy
November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS

I have the Venture One credit card and I love it. The app is really easy to use and the way that the travel miles are applied to your statement is really easy.

Brandon Maughan
October 30th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love the Double Rewards. Great options for redeeming points as well!

Landon
October 27th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS

I've had a capital one card for about a year now and I absolutely love it. The app that works with the card is amazing, after I use the card it alerts me immediately so i know exactly how much i spend. It's very easy to keep track of purchases and making payments. I've never had a problem with this card.

Stephen Veal
January 24th, 2017 Houston, TX

Capital One is the best bank in the USA. The following is just a few of the things Capital One does that sets them apart from other banks in the USA: 1. You can withdraw money from their ATM's in $10 increments. 2. I'm not perfect and I have been late many times with my credit card payment and they have reversed the late fee EVERY SINGLE TIME over a 3 year period. Of course, this is just my experience and it may be different for others, but in comparison to some banks, like Barclays, for example, who ALWAYS refuses to reverse any late no matter what , Capital One actually cares about their customers. 3. Capital One credit card customer service is 24/7 live chat and is always accessible. What's in your wallet?