BBVA Compass

BBVA Compass Logo

BBVA Compass

Have you worked with BBVA Compass before? Leave your review below.

BBVA Compass was founded in 1857 and has grown into a leading U.S. banking franchise with operations throughout the sunbelt region and ranks among the top 25 largest U.S. commercial banks based on deposit market share. BBVA Compass has nearly 690 branches and is small-business friendly. The BBVA Compass bank is a subsidiary of BBVA Compass Bancshares, Inc. In addition to servicing the U.S., it also reaches to China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland, Turkey and the U.K.

The Good

• Banking solutions
  • Checking account options
  • Savings account options

Banking Solutions

BBVA Compass offers banking solutions for personal, small business, commercial, and global wealth needs. While the specific services for each of these types of clients may vary, all can expect to receive unparalleled service from BBVA Compass representatives.

Checking Account Options

For personal clientele, there are three different checking account options to choose from. While each vary in terms of exactly what is offered, there are a number of benefits enjoyed by all accounts. These benefits include: online banking, mobile banking, ATM banking, debit card, direct deposit, and safety and security on transactions. The checking account options are broken down as follows:

• Free Checking: a free checking account with full-service features
    • open with only $25
    • Free online and paper statements
    • Unlimited check writing
    • No monthly service charge
    • No fees for using BBVA Compass ATMs
  • Premium Checking: earn interest and enjoy exclusive perks and features
    • open with only $25
    • Earn interest on checking balance
    • Complimentary online banking, mobile banking, and Bill Pay
    • Complimentary Premium checks
    • Automatic rebates on ATM fees charged by other banks (two per cycle)
    • $15 service charge
  • NBA Checking: support your favorite NBA Team with dedicated debit card
    • complimentary online banking, mobile banking, and Bill Pay
    • A BBVA Compass Visa Debit Card that can be customized with a favorite NBA team

Savings Account

There are also a number of ways for BBVA Compass clients to save. When clients open a savings account, they can watch their money grow. There are a number of savings options that range from a simple savings account to a long-term nest egg for retirement. The three accounts include: Everyday Savings (a simple way to start saving), Money Market (maximize interest as the balance grows), and Certificates of Deposits (a simple and secure way to reach savings goals).

Lending options are available as well. BBVA Compass clients can take out: auto loans, home equity lines of credit, home equity loans, mortgage loans, and signature express loans. Each loan is guaranteed to be at a competitive fixed rate.

The Bad

• Limited locations
  • Monthly service charge

Limited Locations

The BBVA Compass operation only exists in a select few states. If a client does not reside in one of these states, they will not be able to use BBVA Compass for their banking solutions. The only available states for service include:

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • New Mexico
  • Texas

Monthly Service Charge

A majority of the checking and savings accounts offered through BBVA Compass require a monthly service charge. These charge offsets monthly maintenance efforts conducted on behalf of the clients. There are ways and requirements that can be met to avoid these monthly maintenance fees. However, if these requirements are not met, the charge will be applied.

The Bottom Line

BBVA Compass offers a wide range of banking solutions for both individuals and businesses. BBVA Compass will dedicate a knowledgable advisor to help each client navigate their financial situation and meet their money goals. Those interested in banking with BBVA Compass can expect the following from the service:

1. Online and mobile banking
  2. Debit card and direct deposit
  3. Safety and security
  4. Limited availability
  5. Monthly service fees

2.5

SL Yacura
September 19th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Worst credit card company in the country. They offer a 0% interest rate credit card for a few months, like many other credit card companies. But, until you sign up, you don't realize that they don't accept electronic payments. If you pay your credit card bill online, they force your bank to print an actual check and mail it. On top of that, their "system" takes a full week to "process" this check after it comes in the mail. This means that your payment is always late. Once it is even a few days late (mine was 3 days), they immediately close your account and report your card as "closed by company due to late payment" on your credit report.

Sonya
August 1st, 2018 Denver, NC DETAILS

I opened 2 Certificates of Deposits with them online. Pretty easy transaction. However, when it came to closing them and getting my money, different story. The first time (it ended up rolling over) I tried to close it, I was told to fax a letter. I did that. No money. I called and was told I needed to send a copy of my DL with my letter. I did that. No money. I called again, and was told to now send a letter, a copy of DL, and the letter that was notarized. I did that. No money. It escalated and still no money and the CD rolled over. The next year, 3 weeks before due, I sent a notarized letter with the copy of the DL. No money. I called and they said they didn't receive it and I explained I had a confirmation, but sent it again. No money. I didn't call customer service, I called a regional VP and went over it with all my notes. Now, I'm getting somewhere. During this time...AGAIN...it rolled over. The regional VP waived the penalty and I did get my money. HOWEVER, during the time this all took (about 3 weeks after maturity/grace period, they did not pay me interest on my funds. This was a sizeable life insurance policy and the interest was several hundred dollars. I called and they said they would escalate it and could see all the notes. Several months later, I haven't heard back nor have I received any interest. They were offering a promotion CD rate, but with all the hassle and while they held my funds with no interest, it was not such a promotion. BEWARE!!

Alicia Holman
June 22nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I wasn't happy with their customer service and the level of knowledge their employees have for the banking business. Their fees are high compared to other banks. The charges weren't big, but after awhile, they do add up.

Juan
June 19th, 2018 Houston, TX

Horrible bank ever. We had a credit line with them that ever used, but still we were paying $40.00 dollars per year to have it available, so we decided to close it down. We called customers service to take care of it and were told the account was closed. A year later we received another statement with a balance of $40 dollars because they said we never closed the account. We called back again and let them know so they said not to worry that we do not have to do anything else that they will waive the fee and close the account. We received a letter stating that the account was closed but they reported a missed payment to my husband's credit report! Now we are disputing it, what a hassle! Very unprofessional service, worse bank ever hands down!

William
June 13th, 2018 Prattville, AL DETAILS

Always helpful; website great - never been inside a branch

Daniel
June 11th, 2018 DETAILS

Great service, love the app, easy banking

Justin
February 5th, 2018 Littleton, CO DETAILS

Best bank I've ever had. Couldn't be happier!

Darren
September 15th, 2017 CA

BBVA Compass bank is a joke. I just open my account with them and I'm about ready to close it. I have never experienced a Customer Service that is as horrible as BBVA COMPASS BANK ever before. DO NOT BANK WITH THIS BANK. I GIVE THEM A ZERO FOR THERE PHONE CUSTOMER SERVICE. AFTER 1 HOUR OF ANSWERING QUESTIONS THEY JUST HUNG UP ON ME AND DIDN'T EVEN CALL BACK. IT SOUNDS LIKE 50 PEOPLE IN THE ROOM ALL TALKING AT ONCE. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME GIVE IT A TRY. BE READY TO GET REALLY MAD AND FRUSTRATED.