American Family Insurance Logo

American Family Insurance

7.1

Founded in 1927 and headquartered in Madison, WI, American Family Insurance offers a wide range of products and services including auto, home, life, and health insurance as well as retirement solutions. The company's auto insurance highlights include reliable emergency roadside service, easy account access, and the KnowYourDrive safe driving tracker app and savings eligibility.

The Good

• Repair Shop Program
  • Coverage Features
  • Discounts

Repair Shop Program

American Family has a network of trusted repair shops connected to its Dreams Restored Program (DRP). When you get your vehicle repaired at a DRP repair shop, you get discounted rates, even if you're paying for your repairs out of pocket.

Coverage Features

American Family provides excellent car insurance education on its website including the implications of each aspect of auto insurance coverage. The insurer's coverage includes the following:

• Property damage
  • Underinsured
  • Accidental death and dismemberment
  • Uninsured

Discounts

American Family customers may be eligible for multiple discounts, including for the following:

• Multi-vehicle

• South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

The Bottom Line

If you live in one of the 19 states serviced by American Family Auto Insurance, it is definitely worth looking into. This company is also a great choice for those who wish to bundle their insurance services in one place. Bundling is easy, saves money, and can supplement any other discounts for which you are eligible.

Sally Henson Rolla, MO

AFI insures my home and auto. The 2 claims I’ve had with them (new roofing and water damage in my kitchen) were dealt with quickly. Hopefully, I’ll never have another claim, but I don’t need to worry about what to do if I need help.

19 hours ago

DMSRobinM Minneapolis, MN

I have been with American Family Insurance for my auto insurance and my Townhouse Association H06 insurance for years. I appreciate my insurance agent proactively contacting me when I turned 50 to tell me that I could reduce my monthly cost because I turned 50. When I have compared costs with other insurance companies, the costs were higher than what I pay now, or the reduction in cost is so minimal that I am not willing to change. The service from American Family agent and his team has always been SO RESPONSIVE (e.g. providing a Proof of Insurance Card electronically within minutes of when I needed it), that I am not willing to give up the excellent service from American Family for a minor reduction in costs with a company that I don't know and may end up with some not-so-welcome surprises!

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

As a customer of American Family Insurance for many years, I've had a few claims and have been happy with the service I've received.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I used American Family Insurance for both home and auto. There was good discounts for combined services. I liked having a local agent. Ultimately we change because American Family did not offer earthquake coverage.

Cole Saratoga Springs, UT

Great agent and great mobile app to help me stay on track with my driving. They offer an educational program that provides the ability to get discounts - pretty cool!

Tonia Ziter Midvale, UT

I had to deal with this company in an accident claim. Their client ran over me with her car while I was riding my bike. They refused to admit fault for their client and consistently wanted to argue that I was in the wrong for riding where I was. I had to do my own legal findings and kept submitting them to their claims department to even have them finally pay for anything. I still have a large scar on my leg because they only would pay medical and not pay for any reconstructive to make my leg look back to normal.

Terin Layton, UT

We have been with American Family Insurance for years and love them! Our agent, Brian H, and his assistant Dawn are the BEST! They take such good care of us and we haven’t had any issues with them. I highly recommend!

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

Long time customer. Excellent service and products. My agent is amazing. I love the home and auto package.

Aubrey Rentschler Salt Lake City, UT

American Family has been a great company for car, home, and life insurance. Their coverage is good and they offer many discounts. Our agent, Ryan J, in absolutely amazing. He is very knowledgeable, timely in returning calls, and is constantly looking for ways to lower our rate. If you live in Utah and need an agent, I'd recommend him.

Jeff B Orem, UT

I have had American Family Insurance for the last 15 years and I have had nothing but a positive experience. My agent is amazing and always willing to help. I have had to submit claims and it is such an easy process working with the adjusters. The price is the cherry on top because they are priced much lower than other insurers. I would definitely recommend American Family to anyone looking for auto insurance or if you are simply looking to move from another insurer.

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

I am with American Family Insurance. I absolutely love them. 4 years ago I was in a wreck that wasn't my fault. It almost took my life I hit a semi twice, hit a guardrail needless to say I should not be alive living life. I'm alive thank goodness. The insurance company was absolutely amazing even though I used the girls Insurance becsuse it was her fault my insurance agency called me to check on me weekly to see how my progress was. They were absolutely amazing. I would recommend this insurance to anybody that I care about.

bryan bishop Logan, UT

AFI has been great to work with. Our agent was excellent as we worked through a claim after our roof was damaged by hail.

Alexander Johnson Burbank, CA

This was the first insurance I ever had and had them for years. I never had any issues. They even gave me a very low rate even though I was a young driver.

BFK

Thought they were great until we were in an accident caused by someone who left the scene of the accident. Then we found out they would take advantage of us and try to get out of paying bills. We have stayed with them but I don't trust them any further an I could throw them. :)

Dale Gruenke

Fast claim service, agent works with us on ways to lower our premium, received special $50 per vehicle refund due to low claims during recent pandemic

Jarvis Johnson Smithfield, UT

I love everything about American Family Insurance, except for 1 thing. There customer service was excellent, coverage was great. The biggest thing I didn't like, was there rates

Kate Lillywhite American Fork, UT

Serving our family for years, we couldn't be happier with American Family Insurance! They'll answer your questions and keep you up to date with your many insurance needs.

Ashley Ulibarri Los Angeles, CA

My experience with the customer service at American Family Insurance has always been top notch. I love that they would check in and offer to go over your policy to make sure it was meeting your needs.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I am so happy we found our American Family Insurance! The customer service has by far been the best insurance experience we have had. I highly recommend!

Abby Stubbs Brigham City, UT

My family has had American Family for several years for our home and auto. Our local office is awesome but whenever I have to contact the corporate office it is a pain. I have had both good and bad experiences submitting claims but it is better than other insurance companies I have had.

Michael Wichita, KS

The agent and office staff have provided me with the information and advice that has allowed me to make the proper decision in reference to my coverages. The handling of past claims have been professional and efficient.

stevey shumway Midvale, UT

American Family Insurance provided great insurance for me and my family. The coverage was great and affordable. The best part of working with them is the amazing customer service!

Stacia Adkins Syracuse, UT

Good rates pretty good customer service I have used them for many many years and have all of my policies through them and they have never led me wrong. I have policies in two different states and I wish there company's could be the same office is all.

Carol Beckett St Louis, MO

I like that they recently lowered my monthly price for car insurance because my driving habits have changed but assume they will go back up when Covid19 has passed and my driving habits go back to normal. Ill have to wait and see.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

I was with American Family Insurance for several years. I loved having an insurance agent that was able to take care of my individual needs. I liked dealing with a person who knew my history and background and could give me personal support with claims. Other insurance companies make you call a 1-800 number and you lose that personal connection. If it weren’t for the rate increases over the years, I definitely would have stayed as well as given 5 stars.

Stephanie Orem, UT

Our American Family Auto insurance is amazing and so is our agent. We have never had a better experience than we have had since we switched to American Family. Their rates are great but the customer service is what really sets them apart.

Lindsey B Orem, UT

We LOVE American Family Auto Insurance! Our agent is amazing and handles everything we ever request. The claims we have made in the past are resolved faster than we could even expect. If you are in the market for Auto Insurance look into American Family and you will be happy you did!

Micah Bradshaw Salem, UT

We love our local American Family Insurance agent! The customer service at his office is outstanding. They always email or get right back with questions I have on my policy. When my son was in an accident, or agent called on Saturday to see if everything was taken care of and to check on our son's health.

Sofie Rosenvall Alpine, UT

Overall I would say this is a great company to have home, auto, rv, renters, etc insurance through... They are always courteous on the phone and they are always very helpful in answering all my questions... Why I didn't give them 5 stars is because we have changed a few things with our insurance and they did not get the auto draft successfully added 2 months in a row resulting in late fees and letters to my leanholders saying our insurance was getting cancelled... But we finally figured out the kink, all late fees were credited, and all leanholders got what they needed...

Rory Henrie Pleasant Grove, UT

I have not had to make a claim to really test my insurance company. I have had a good experience with my agent and her office help. They have made sure that I have changes made that I request in a timely manner. They also have made sure on several occasions that I am utilizing all of the discounts I am eligible for. I would recommend.

Reena Kivlehen Phoenix, AZ

My husband and I carry American Family Auto insurance and we are so pleased with our experience! We have an amazing agent who has helped us get exactly the insurance coverage we needed with no extra add ons that we don't need.

Janna Gilbert, AZ

When I had an auto accident last fall they responded quickly to me and helped me thru the whole process of having to replace a totaled vehicle and dealing with the sub-par insurance of the person who caused the crash. They were kind, helpful, informative and very quick to fulfill my claim.

Preston Darger Orem, UT

Have home and car insurance bundled. It is super affordable and their services are very comprehensive.

ben boushehri Palos Verdes Estates, CA

there prices are the lowest as far as i checked with farmers ,all state and others . Bout they dont pay your full damage if you have any claim . i had a roof damage and the paid only half of it . " that is what you get when you buy chip stuff "

Amanda Kansas City, MO

We have been with American Family for roughly 10 years together for our car and home. They are fantastic!!!! Every instance we needed them it was easy and I felt taken care of.

take7 Sandy, UT

They're good as long as you don't have to use them. I was a faithful customer for many years with good driving no claims. Then one day when I ran over a vehicle part that fell off from the far in front of me on the freeway and ruined my car underneath I had to file a at fault claim. The process was tedious and long. I felt like I was treated like a bad driver with a habit of filing claims. Paid for my own car fix and hurt my premium. Customer service was not nice about explaining my fault.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We carried American Family Auto Insurance when I drove for Lyft. We researched different car insurances and at the time they were one of the few that carried Ridesharing Insurance. Their coverage in pretty basic and the price comparable but the the ridesharing was a bonus plus that I would highly recommend.

Brennan Orem, UT

Best auto insurance I have ever had! Great coverage for a great price. What I feel sets them apart is their agents. Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They truly have your best interests in mind!

Angela Nelson Pleasant Grove, UT

American Family has been good for us so far. We had an accident and they handled the claim fairly quickly and easily. They were one of the lowest priced insurance companies for our area and our agent is pretty available for questions and coverage changes.

Derek Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

Our neighbor is a local agent, and was very helpful in getting us a fast reliable quote for our auto insurance. They couldn't beat what we are paying now, but was very professional.

Ashlee Bair Los Angeles, CA

I think they give great service to there customers. They have good plans and premiums. Wanna truly keep their customers happy.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

when we were shopping around we got a quote for auto ins. They were great at explaining everything. Great customer service and they were able to quote exactly what we needed. We ended up going with another company that gave us a better rate.

Brody B Orem, UT

Great coverage, affordable prices and very knowledgeable and friendly agents. After having American Family for many years I am convinced they are the best around.

Kalli Binks Payson, UT

We absolutely love working with AFI. They have always been friendly and willing to help us out with any type of problem that has come up. Very trustworthy and caring.

Shanna South Jordan, UT

I used to use American Family Insurance for our auto and renters insurance. They had great rates and they were easy to work with when I needed to make a claim.

Alan B

Excellent insurance company for auto, home and personal. We have a fantastic agent!

Melodie Peterson Sandy, UT

My experience with American Family was just so so, the agent was nice but I didn't feel supported and the insurance was too expensive

Molly Jorgensen Lehi, UT

They were not helpful at all during the accident in which my husband's car was hit and the other driver's insurance company didn't pay out. We are still battling with it 7 months later.

Gloria Karels, Shelly Gracie, Jodi Karels

Beacause so far they have never lead me to believe they are overpriced and my insurance agents are very prompt and reliable.

Natasha Salt Lake City, UT

The people are really friendly, but it is the most expensive insurance company I have ever used. Their rates are twice what I am paying now for the same thing.