American International Group (AIG) was founded in 1919 and offers insurance and financial services in over 80 countries worldwide. The company’s travel insurance and global assistance division is called AIG Travel Guard. It offers travel insurance and services to both business and leisure travelers, including eight service centers in the Americas, Asia, and Europe.

The company offers travel insurance to U.S. residents, as well as over 15 additional countries.

Travel Guard offers three main travel insurance plans, all with optional upgrades. All insurance policies are underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA, which has an A.M. Best financial strength rating of A (Excellent).

Individuals can get plans for annual/multi-trip, single-trip, and expatriate insurance and corporations or groups can get different AIG travel and medical insurance coverage for employees’ business travel, credit card holder benefits, loyalty club member travel insurance, and association member travel insurance.

Keep reading our Travel Guard review for pros and cons of this travel insurance providers’ plans and policies.

View Best Travel Insurance Companies

Travelex chevron_right
World Nomads Travel Insurance chevron_right

The Good

• Children Are Free
  • Trip Cancellations
  • Customer Service
  • Satisfaction Guarantee
  • Pre-Existing Conditions

Children Are Free

If you purchase Gold or Silver insurance coverage, children age 17 and under are covered for free. (Except in New York)

Trip Cancellations

In addition to standard trip cancellation and trip interruption benefits, a Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) option is available as an upgrade on two out of three plans.

If you purchase an AIG TravelGuard policy within 15 days of your first trip payment, then you are eligible to upgrade your coverage to include CFAR trip cancellation coverage.

AIG Travel Guard uses eight fully-owned customer support centers, offers 24/7 customer support:

• Guangzhou, China
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • Okinawa, Japan
  • Shoreham, United Kingdom
  • Sofia, Bulgaria
  • Mexico City, Mexico
  • Houston, Texas
  • Stevens Point, Wisconsin

While travelling, customers can get help toll free in the United States or Canada, or via an international collect number, plus email support. Support is available in 40 languages.

Satisfaction Guarantee

If customers aren’t satisfied with Travel Guard, they can receive a refund of the cost, minus the service fee by submitting a request in writing within 15 days of the coverage effective date, provided it is not past the original departure date. This is not available in New York.

Pre-Existing Conditions

With the Silver, Gold, and Platinum plans, pre-existing condition waivers are available if the policy is purchased within 15 days of your first trip payment.

The medical condition lookback period may vary for each plan:

• Silver: 180 Days
  • Gold: 180 Days
  • Platinum: 90 Days

The Bad

• Missed Connections
  • Phone-Only Options

Missed Connections

While the Silver plan is a great budget option for travelers, a missed connection can leave you without any coverage. The higher level plans cover missed connections for up to $500, but the Silver plan may leave travelers stranded in the event of a missed flight.

Phone-Only Options

While Travel Guard offers more than 20 coverage options, there are a few plans that customers can’t get online. They have to contact the company directly for assistance.

• Basic
  • Travel Guard Plus
  • Pack N’ Go
  • Business Traveler
  • TravelRite Annual Plan
  • MedEvac Plan
  • Flight Guard: five coverage levels
  • Collision Damage Waiver

The Bottom Line

Travel Guard can help you with a travel insurance policy for your next trip, whether it includes a flight, cruise, or adventure vacation. The company offers travel assistance for cancellation and baggage, as well as medical coverage while traveling, as well as a lengthy 15-day refund policy.

Policy options include children under 17 covered for no additional charge and a CFAR upgrade.

This provider offers a wide variety of plans, though several of the more specialized plans aren’t available for customers to sign-up for online. Customer service must be contacted for more information about these specialized insurance policies.

View Best Travel Insurance Companies

2.9

TJB

June 23rd, 2020 Sterling, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would never recommend this company to anyone. Before Corona Virus started we booked a cruise and wanted a peace of mind because I'm military and never know what's going to happen. Of course our cruise gets cancelled due to the virus and plus the DoD put travel restrictions on all members; so we wouldn't even have been able to go. We thought we were good and bought insurance for a reason. Well apparently the virus shutting the world down doesn't count even though the cruises didn't go anywhere during this time. Also thought the DoD policy would work well that hasn't either; we are still holding out hope for that. The people who answer the phones have no idea what they're doing. Every policy/confirmation #, claim #, you name it we give them; they can't find our claim. I'm reading the claim letter for letter from the email they sent us after filing the claim. Then they third party it too another company called AON ? Got transferred to them and they also couldn't help. I feel a little bad for the people on the phone because I know they're getting hammered with questions and demands but for good reason. This company is worthless.

Yvonne Markwardt

June 4th, 2020 Oconomowoc, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Purchased insurance 01/20 for 04/20 flights. Laid off job of 2-1/2 yrs 03/20. Policy clearly states this should be covered with no stipulations. Months after I filed claim and endured their complete silence after my submitting to them all paperwork they requested and more, AIG denied claim due to COVID-19 - and closed case, leaving me no way after months of waiting for deserved ticket cost refund to question or counter their arbitrary decision. Instead of the full cash refund we bought AIG ins to cover us for, we are now left with $350 in airline credits we will never use that AIG's customer service rep initially emailed me I HAD TO cancel the flight for in order for us to even file a claim with AIG. Never purchase insurance from these thieves; they twist the narrative of policy sold so they can take your premium dollars and then not payout on a legitimate claim!

Fe

May 11th, 2020 Raleigh, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had to cancel our hotel room due to coronavirus. We cancelled within the free cancellation period so Travel Guard would not have to pay to cover the cancellation. They would not refund our policy payment although our travel was 2 months in the future. They make sure the customer has to pay.

Tom Gourley

December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Travel Guard on a few cruises I have taken and actually had to make a claim on one trip. Their prices were fair, their coverage adequate and when I made the claim they were very helpful. I worried about making an actual claim but there were no questions asked and they made me feel very comfortable in making the claim and paid it in a timely way. I will definately use them again!

KC

November 26th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used this for our first cruise. We had never been on a cruise before and were nervous to spend to so much money. Everything went really spoothly so we didn't end up needing it, but it was till nice to have that piece of mind.

Kathryn Robinson

November 11th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used AIG Travel Insurance multiple times. In fact, I will not travel without it. I just love the peace of mind of traveling with AIG. I know AIG will be there to help if I have a problem while traveling. It could be anything from my passport getting stolen to medical issue to a delayed flight. I highly recommend getting AIG travel insurance, especially when traveling internationally.