TurboTax Logo

9.2

LAST UPDATED: November 19th, 2021

TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

H&R Block Logo
#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.5
E-File Logo
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

The "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

My absolutely favorite! It's soooooo user friendly and easy to process your taxes. It's also very thorough, goes through every step of the tax preparation process, offers tons of bundle options depending on what you'd need, and offers the option to pay immediately or to be deducted from your return. Love this site! I tell everyone about it.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

TurboTax makes filing taxes a way easier experience than going into an office or finding an accountant to file your taxes. It puts the control back in your pockets and you don't have to worry about paying any extra fees or paying someone else to complete your taxes for you. And in the future, if you need to access your tax transcript again, it's right there and easily accessible.

Jodee McKeon Houston, TX

For the most part this has been a really useful tool for my husband and I getting our taxes done usually for free or at least pretty cheap. Last year we had to pay a fee because we had some different form we hadn't had before, but I don't remember it being too expensive. For young college students trying to figure out how to get taxes taken care of, it has definitely met our needs and I would recommend.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

Let's face it, filing taxes is something we cannot and should not avoid doing no matter how much we might want/try to. TurboTax makes this complicated process a tiny bit easier. It provides instructions through every step and guides new users in a helpful way. However, the amount of steps depending on how much information you have to file and how complex it is, can be overwhelming. There are so many instructions TurboTax can give someone who has never filed alone and although it might seem convenient, the many errors we make on their lead to a lot of paperwork. Lastly, you need some type of background knowledge of how to file your taxes to be able to even gather the information to use on TurboTax.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have had nothing but good experiences with Turbo Tax. I have been using the company to do my taxes for many years and it only get's easier each year. The software has memorized certain things in my account to the point that when I file my taxes at the end of the year, I only have to click a few buttons and I'm done. I like how the software now has visual infographics to inform you on the progress of your return and how much of a refund to expect. Also enjoy the little question mark info buttons that pop up detailed information on what certain things mean or do. I highly recommend using Turbo Tax for your taxes, even if you own a business or have a complicated return. Turbo Tax makes it so easy!

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

If you follow the prompts correctly their free tax filing is fantastic. Just make sure you don't get click baited into the paid version which will cost you like $100 when you do federal and state.

J. Garrett Lansing, MI

I've used TurboTax for years! It was my best friend when I was a self-employed hairstylist. The last couple of years it has kind of bothered me that they keep trying to "trick" me into paying for a more detailed program. I work part time and have no dependents. I need the simplest form allowed!

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

Love this app/website for preparing my taxes. I have been using this for over 10 years & love the savings, ease, as well as tracking my refund. I always get my refund fast & it does right into my account. They have a lot of FAQs and help online if you get stuck, plus it checks your application for errors.

Grace M. Columbia, MO

Makes filing taxes really easy to navigate and transparent. I've been able to file my own for free for years now and always know I am getting the most returned! Great site layout, making it easy to find past tax documents whenever needed.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

My experience with TurboTax has been amazing. I have used them for the past three years because they make filing your taxes super easy and have an option to complete it for free. I would recommend TurboTax to anyone looking to file their taxes easily by themselves

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Tax Prep makes it so easy to do your taxes. You do not need to hire an accountant to do your taxes anymore. Turbo tax walks you through the whole process and it is even free! It has made it so easy to teach young adults about filing their taxes. Definitely recommend!

Steven Rummler Centerville, UT

TurboTax has a great user experience but makes it a little too difficult to avoid paying for what is advertised as a free service. The results are good, but more clarity around the paid vs free features would go a long way.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

TurboTax is expensive, which is the only reason I have to give it 3 stars instead of 5. Other than that, the high quality access to experts in the field for filing taxes online makes it an extremely useful resource, especially for people unfamiliar with taxes.

John Anthony Delgado The Bronx, NY

I started using Turbo Tax to do my personal taxes. I personally dont love going to see a tax accountant, as my financial situation is pretty simple (one income, not a ton of assets). I find the software pretty easy to use and walks me through the questions to ensure my taxes are done right.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

My goodness, TurboTax has saved my life in many instances. Whether you are a "real adult" (unlike me) and you have several investments, multiple mortgages and properties and kids, or you are like me and barely understand anything financial, TurboTax is a brilliant go-to. First off, it is simple and breaks everything down into simple language. It is very transparent and explains what exactly you are claiming and what ever little bubble or box you check is. Secondly, their customer service is fast and responsive. I have yet to get through my taxes without having questions, because I have constantly moved for work. I have never been anywhere longer than 3.5ish years, so there are always complications with state and federal tax paperwork. Third, it is fast. I think my husband and I were able to file in less than two hours each time, and that was with us double-checking our paperwork and asking questions. The cons: - If you fill out a form and it turns out that it's the wrong one, it makes you start the whole section over again. (This probably won't happen if you aren't as ignorant as I am.)

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

TurboTax made filing my taxes super easy. I wasn't sure how to do taxes on my own, but the live chat feature was super helpful.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I love using turbotax to file my taxes. I am a college student and the free option makes it really easy to file, especially since i'm not earning a huge income.

Cindy R Tallahassee, FL

As an 18 year old who filled her tax for the first time this year, I believe TurboTax was pretty simple to use. I only have source of income so inevitably it was pretty easy for me to fill out my taxes for free!

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

A fair price and makes the process a breeze. The first time you use it is an ok experience but each following year as they can pull the previous years information it becomes a breeze. Makes the headache of tax season a 15 minute ordeal.

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

TurboTax is the simplest way to file your taxes for most everyday people working a 9-5 with standard benefits and living situations; you'll see relevant credits and benefits based on what you enter based on your location, background, and income. Where it gets difficult, though, is if you have multiple income sources, different tax situations like charity donations or deductions, and have recently just gotten married or other life events; TurboTax does its best, but an accountant may be needed for the more specific situations.

Matt Clark Provo, UT

Great, easy way to do your taxes. My only problem with them is how hard they push for you to subscribe to their other programs

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

Easiest way to get your taxes done without messing up . Follow the directions and you are all good .

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Very, very easy and safe way to do taxes. Also user friendly and easy to find answers to your questions.

Belle Pierdon Willoughby, OH

I've used Turbo Tax for a couple of years in the past; liked the step by step ease of use but I have found a much better service that suits me better.

Jodianna Tallahassee, FL

I like how they are always there to help when tax season is approaching. It is great for young people who do not know where to start.

IloriaTess R. Atlanta, GA

I love how easy it was to complete my tax forms. They made all information easy to ready and the directions were easy to follow

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Doing taxes for the first time is extremely intimidating, but TurboTax made my experience super easy and stress free! It was easy to follow along with and put in a lot of the information automatically. Definitely recommend for anyone looking to simplify taxes!

Sean Clayton City of Saint Peters, MO

I've been using TurboTax since I started filing. It is pretty simple and easy to use. I also like the options they have in which you can have a live CPA help you. Being in the military, it was furthermore nice to get a free upgrade.

Jenetta E Provo, UT

Big fan of Turbo Tax. They helped me file my taxes all by myself for the very first time and easily helped me to get a great tax refund (which is the part I was most stoked about). They also did well explaining what different things in the process meant.

Sophia FL

I used turbo tax to file for my 2019 taxes. They were sooooo helpful and was overall and enjoyable experience.

bmc2z7 Columbia, MO

I enjoy the simplicity of their site, it makes it easy for me to put my information in. It only takes me a couple of minutes to file my taxes!

Larry R Thrash Valparaiso, FL

I've been using TurboTax for years. They are always up to date with their program. The customer service reps are very knowledgeable, professional and friendly. The program works very well and i very accurate.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I really enjoy that Turbo Tax saves my information from one year to the next, that way each time I log in to do my taxes it only takes me a short time to review my current year taxes. I wish it was a little cheaper to do it, but I am still happy with the platform.

Dave Spokane, WA

I am a tax professional and I use Turbo Tax's free e-filing program to do simpler returns for family members. It is very thorough and would be easy to follow even for a nonprofessional. The free version is limited, of course, but for a simple tax return it does the job.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I have used Turbo Tax a couple times, and it has been great for a beginner like me. It is straight forward and they do a good job at explaining what you need and why. The is a little higher than some other competing companies. But maybe that's the price to pay for the quality of what you get

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

Every year for our 36 years of marriage my husband has used Turbo Tax and his computer to do Our taxes. He saves us money from having to pay a commercial tax preparation service. He always tells me that it is quick , easy, and stress free. I feel grateful for turbo tax and how it helps my husband prepare our tax documents by himself every year saving us both time and money.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

TurboTax is absolutely the best tool online for tax preparation. This tool takes complex tax issues and simplifies it enough for anyone to handle filing taxes. It is fully tax comprehensive, all the laws and regs are complied with. And if you can follow simple instructions, you can file taxes successfully and easily with Turbotax. No situation is too complex as it handles all tax issues with ease.

Whimsy067 Cordova, TN

I've been using TurboTax for many years & have never had difficulty completing or filing my taxes. I like that the program guides you through the possible deductions (though I always end up using the standard) and recommends any deductions you may be qualified for so you can at least look into it. I love that I can exit the program and it saves my work so I don't have to start over. I have 2 complaints: Recently married but with no dependents, we were trying to decide if we should file jointly or separately. TurboTax recommended jointly & said they could help us determine which option would be most beneficial. "Help" is a stretch as we had to complete our returns separately to determine the amount of our individual refunds AND THEN start all over and complete the return jointly (that's 3 completions of the process) to determine that our joint return would net us an extra $30 (plus the $40 we save by filing one return). I just think TurboTax should have a quick way of making the comparison if the customer indicates that they don't have dependents. Also, if you want to pay the fee FROM your refund, there is an additional fee of $39.95. So, for the simple tax return, that is a $39.95 fee for the return AND a $39.95 fee for the convenience of having the first fee deducted from your refund. I was able to back my way out of that & charge it with my debit card but still...how many people don't notice it?

Bekah W

Alexander was incredibly helpful yesterday when I needed assistance finishing my taxes. He stayed on the phone to make sure my issue was completely resolved. The software itself has been very easy to use. The web help has always gotten me through in the past but phone assistance was needed in this case. I really appreciate everything Alexander was able to do for me and will continue to use TurboTax for all my tax needs. Thank you again!

Lee Saint Jean

I love anything that’s free.99 and easy to use. I love it here

Carolina camacho

Turbo tax makes doing my taxes easy and painless and helps me save time! highly recommend

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Turbo Tax employees took all of my stress away during tax season and matched the service price of one of their competitors

Morgan Idaho Falls, ID

They make it simple to file and have helped us great refunds in the past. You just easily upload your documents and it helps fill all the information in.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

TurboTax is a super great program to use for taxes. There are instructions along the way of what needs to go where which makes everything super straight forward. However, if there is anything out of the 'norm' that you did in the tax year, it is hard ti figure out how to report it like capital gains from stocks or selling a house.

Clark Beus Richland, WA

Overall I did well doing my taxes with TurboTax. I liked the plain speech used to provide directions. Maybe I missed something, but I was disappointed that I couldn’t see and review the actual forms before filing. And in my mind the price is a bit steep compared with the competition.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Turbo Tax is super easy to follow. I can’t remember the last time I met with an accountant to do my taxes. It’s so much easier using their online service. I’m able to complete my tax, submit for review, and E-file.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

My husband has been doing our taxes using TurboTax for the past 3 years. He has been very satisfied with the ease of use and quality of product. Our taxes are fairly simple since we don't have alot of deductions but having the ability to do it accurately without paying a tax preparer is a great way to save some money.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

I've used Turbotax Home & Business Schedule C edition every year for the past 12 years. I don't like the upsell prompts for audit defense and having to pay to send in my state taxes which can be performed for free in Colorado. However, it walks me through all the issues and it's updated with the latest edition of the tax law. Very easy to use.

LindseyL Cary, NC

I am single, do not own a home, do not itemize, etc. - very basic filing. I used TurboTax from 2015-2017 with limited issues that were solved before filing. This year, however, I had a 1099-G and as soon as I added the form, I was forced to select the Deluxe version for $39.99. Because I moved out of state in the middle of the year, I had to pay that three times - once for Federal, then for each state - amounting to $120. I stopped right there and tried H&R Block which allowed me to file 100% free and had the identical returns that TurboTax found. The best thing about TurboTax is how user friendly it is. They ask lots of questions to make sure you're really getting the highest refund. You can't miss anything because of how easy and straight-forward it is. However, they do seem to be charging for more and more features, as I was unable to retrieve my previous returns without paying.

Kara

The company does free military taxes which is greatly appreciated. Its also one of the most user friendly and helpful online tools to use while doing taxes. It offers great explanations to help make doing your taxes less steessful.