TurboTax Logo

9.2

LAST UPDATED: October 27th, 2021

TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

H&R Block Logo
#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.5
E-File Logo
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

The "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Cindy R Tallahassee, FL

As an 18 year old who filled her tax for the first time this year, I believe TurboTax was pretty simple to use. I only have source of income so inevitably it was pretty easy for me to fill out my taxes for free!

1 day ago

KimDugan Kailua, HI

My goodness, TurboTax has saved my life in many instances. Whether you are a "real adult" (unlike me) and you have several investments, multiple mortgages and properties and kids, or you are like me and barely understand anything financial, TurboTax is a brilliant go-to. First off, it is simple and breaks everything down into simple language. It is very transparent and explains what exactly you are claiming and what ever little bubble or box you check is. Secondly, their customer service is fast and responsive. I have yet to get through my taxes without having questions, because I have constantly moved for work. I have never been anywhere longer than 3.5ish years, so there are always complications with state and federal tax paperwork. Third, it is fast. I think my husband and I were able to file in less than two hours each time, and that was with us double-checking our paperwork and asking questions. The cons: - If you fill out a form and it turns out that it's the wrong one, it makes you start the whole section over again. (This probably won't happen if you aren't as ignorant as I am.)

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

A fair price and makes the process a breeze. The first time you use it is an ok experience but each following year as they can pull the previous years information it becomes a breeze. Makes the headache of tax season a 15 minute ordeal.

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

TurboTax is the simplest way to file your taxes for most everyday people working a 9-5 with standard benefits and living situations; you'll see relevant credits and benefits based on what you enter based on your location, background, and income. Where it gets difficult, though, is if you have multiple income sources, different tax situations like charity donations or deductions, and have recently just gotten married or other life events; TurboTax does its best, but an accountant may be needed for the more specific situations.

Belle Pierdon Willoughby, OH

I've used Turbo Tax for a couple of years in the past; liked the step by step ease of use but I have found a much better service that suits me better.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I really enjoy that Turbo Tax saves my information from one year to the next, that way each time I log in to do my taxes it only takes me a short time to review my current year taxes. I wish it was a little cheaper to do it, but I am still happy with the platform.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Turbo Tax employees took all of my stress away during tax season and matched the service price of one of their competitors

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

TurboTax is a super great program to use for taxes. There are instructions along the way of what needs to go where which makes everything super straight forward. However, if there is anything out of the 'norm' that you did in the tax year, it is hard ti figure out how to report it like capital gains from stocks or selling a house.

Clark Beus Richland, WA

Overall I did well doing my taxes with TurboTax. I liked the plain speech used to provide directions. Maybe I missed something, but I was disappointed that I couldn’t see and review the actual forms before filing. And in my mind the price is a bit steep compared with the competition.

Dave Spokane, WA

I am a tax professional and I use Turbo Tax's free e-filing program to do simpler returns for family members. It is very thorough and would be easy to follow even for a nonprofessional. The free version is limited, of course, but for a simple tax return it does the job.

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I have used Turbo Tax a couple times, and it has been great for a beginner like me. It is straight forward and they do a good job at explaining what you need and why. The is a little higher than some other competing companies. But maybe that's the price to pay for the quality of what you get

Jordon Patton Pflugerville, TX

TurboTax is super user friendly and makes the process of filing my taxes really easy. Though they promise that they are maximizing my return, I question it a little since there are different tiers of services, so I have a hard time knowing if I would have had a better return if I paid a little more, which makes me tempted to use an accountant once my finances become a little more complex.

Whimsy067 Cordova, TN

I've been using TurboTax for many years & have never had difficulty completing or filing my taxes. I like that the program guides you through the possible deductions (though I always end up using the standard) and recommends any deductions you may be qualified for so you can at least look into it. I love that I can exit the program and it saves my work so I don't have to start over. I have 2 complaints: Recently married but with no dependents, we were trying to decide if we should file jointly or separately. TurboTax recommended jointly & said they could help us determine which option would be most beneficial. "Help" is a stretch as we had to complete our returns separately to determine the amount of our individual refunds AND THEN start all over and complete the return jointly (that's 3 completions of the process) to determine that our joint return would net us an extra $30 (plus the $40 we save by filing one return). I just think TurboTax should have a quick way of making the comparison if the customer indicates that they don't have dependents. Also, if you want to pay the fee FROM your refund, there is an additional fee of $39.95. So, for the simple tax return, that is a $39.95 fee for the return AND a $39.95 fee for the convenience of having the first fee deducted from your refund. I was able to back my way out of that & charge it with my debit card but still...how many people don't notice it?

Naya Tallahassee, FL

I like Turbotax because it makes the process of doing taxes easier and less stressful. Instead of having someone else do your taxes, you can do it yourself meanining no middleman! Although If you prefer to have an expert look at and review or complete your taxes for you, there is also that option!

Emily H West Wendover, NV

TurboTax was a very helpful tool for a novice tax filer like me. The process was simple, straightforward, and had guided steps. I finished my taxes faster than I thought possible--only took a little over an hour. The online staff was helpful in clarifying my questions. Best of all, the service was free for a limited time. Very happy with my experience.

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

This was my first website I used for for filing taxes and it made the process so much easier. I would recommend for people who likes the online service.

J. Garrett Lansing, MI

I've used TurboTax for years! It was my best friend when I was a self-employed hairstylist. The last couple of years it has kind of bothered me that they keep trying to "trick" me into paying for a more detailed program. I work part time and have no dependents. I need the simplest form allowed!

Daniel Snow Redmond, WA

In general I am happy with TurboTax. Its intuitive and allows me to control the schedule of my taxes. I fear that as my portfolio expands however, that it won’t handle the nuance and maximize my return compared to a CPA.

cheryl rudd

The software is easy to use, for the last 15 yrs, however, this year I could upload the updates on my new computer and found a workaround on you tube. I am sure to is aware of the issue, would have been nice to found the resolution on their site.

Julie Wandell Loxley, AL

I found it very, very good. Though we had an unusual twist that the system didn't accommodate and I couldn't locate online help. My CPA relative determined how to enter data in a way that resulted in the correct result. Again, it was great for everything else such as investments, LLC and gifting.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I’ve used TurboTax for the past few years. I don’t know if we’re getting the best deal on our taxes or not, but it sure makes things easy. I tried using a different online service last year, but it didn’t seem as good as TurboTax.

Kristen Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been very impressed for the 2 years that I have used TurboTax. I love how easy it is to do my own taxes as well as ability to read tips from TurboTax. The estimator calculator is a great tool to get an idea on how much I will get back.

Steve Salem, VA

TurboTax has very good technical support when a problem is incurred

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

I used TaxAct for six years. It is a good product but priced itself out of my market. I originally used TurboTax but the same thing happened there. Now I’m back to TurboTax because it is now less expensive! I’ve used TaxAct, TaxCut, and H&R Block software. All have similar features but TurboTax gives me more for my $.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I used turbo tax when I used to do my taxes without professional help. I found that the instructions were easy to follow and the prompts helped me to answer questions which I. found difficult. Overall I found it very helpful

Michael , IL

I've used TurboTax to file taxes 9 years in a row with only one issue were I had to take my taxes somewhere else. I lived in KY and worked in Illinois. My company wrongfully withheld Illinois state taxes instead of Kentucky. They have a reciprocal agreement. The TurboTax software would not allow me to correctly file to get my taxes paid to Illinois back so that I could pay them to Kentucky. Turbotax advisors didn't understand what needed to happen to make it right. I just had to go elsewhere.

Carole Lee Oklahoma City, OK

I've done my taxes with Turbo Tax for many years. It's user friendly and if I have questions, they have answers. It's quick for me because a lot of my information is stored which makes it easy when I do taxes for the next year. They make sure I get my maximum reward by making sure all forms are available for me. If I wasn't aware of it, they have it if needed. Love them!

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

We’ve used TurboTax for years and have always been fairly satisfied with it. The only reason we stopped using TurboTax was because we’ve been able to itemize our deductions. Yes TurboTax is pretty user friendly, but once we started itemizing we didn’t wanna miss out on any possible money that we could potentially be getting back. Now that the deductions and itemization rules have changed, we are going back to TurboTax because we will just be filing the standard form. It’s fast, easy, convenient, and pretty accurate if youre doing just the standard deductions.

Dustin Marx Brighton, CO

We have used TurboTax to do our taxes for over 20 years. One of the advantages of using the same product year-to-year is the ability to import data from the previous tax year. We typically purchase the "Deluxe" edition that includes support for one state's taxes in addition to the federal taxes. The e-filing for the federal form free, but there is a charge to e-file the state return. However, the state tax return can be easily printed out and mailed in.

Miles Strother American Fork, UT

TurboTax is a great service for pretty much any normal taxpayer, although if you're self-employed, you should be ready to pay quite a bit more. I had some self-employed income last year and I used TurboTax, which helped me a lot, but also cost more and constantly prompted me to spend more for their premium services in order to maximize deductions. All in all, they helped me do my taxes, which is what I wanted, in a quick and easy way.

Sam Anders Orem, UT

I've filed my taxes through the TurboTax website for the last years and it has been bittersweet: Pros: -Process is fairly easy -They've pointed out some tax breaks to help get me a better refund -They import information from the previous year to save time Cons: -Throughout the entire process, they try to upsell you. -When they offer the free filing, it almost feels like a bait and switch Even though I feel that their pricing practices are a bit shady, I will probably continue to use them due to ease of use.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

TurboTax is one of the best tax softwares out there. However, you going to be paying a ton for this quality service because it's also the most expensive. Personally, I think it's worth the money because of how user-friendly the software is for your average Joe who's trying to get his taxes done quickly and correctly. They have really good support features so if you have any issues or questions, you can contact turbotax support team. Highly recommend.

Tom Walker Georgetown, KY

I have used their software for 20 years and have been very satisfied. The last few years it has been getting harder to find where to find forms and other information so they need to be more responsive to people that know and understand taxes, perhaps have a knowledge channels for people that have different levels of understanding, three would be good.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I like using TurboTax to help me file my taxes because they make it much easier. I don't like how they send excessive emails to my email.

Trent Ewing Round Lake, IL

I use Turbo Tax every year for my taxes and have for the last 10 years at least! I love how easy it is and I always get great returns. It is definitely a great value!

Reverend Christapher McDonnell

Their service is free up to the point where you file, and I received the highest return of the two I tried. Their live help service wasn't as helpful as the price would lead you to believe, but I did get an answer.

Karen Portland, OR

Because iv used them A few times, the process is familiar. Turbo tax structure is very helpful for subsequent years, because the previous years data is already entered, and the prompts guide you through previous deductions.

Karen Fortier Mount Vernon, WA

The tax is not difficult to prepare in most areas. In a few areas, completing the entries to correctly prepare the forms is almost impossible. This is primarily in areas dealing with investment income and credid reporting

Carol S. Lake Worth, FL

Mostly a good and user-friendly process. Sometimes it gets confusing, especially during the review. It wants you to correct or add info and I can barely ever find out what they need.

Ashley Ulibarri Los Angeles, CA

I have done my taxes for many years using Turbo Tax. They make it so easy to do and customer service is easy to reach if you have any questions. If your situation is straightforward then I highly recommend using this service.

Kogan Powell West Valley City, UT

Really streamlined and simple method of doing your taxes especially as a novice like me. However, their phrasing at the payment step can be a little tricky, I ended up paying for a premium service (which I didn't need at all) without knowing.

Angelina Hamilton Gulfport, MS

Very easy to use. Walks you through step by step with details. If you have a question there is help available. They have a chat feature that customer service cane help if you have a question. I have used this for years and I’m fact just filed my taxes with it.

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

My family uses TurboTax every year for our family members taxes. My mom buys the disc at Costco that let's you file multiple times online for free. All my siblings use this for their taxes and it is straightforward. The website walks you through each step and tells what information it needs.

Brenda Spanish Fork, UT

Turbo Tax offers a free service online and I have been using it for the past couple of years. I don't have any unique tax situations so I don't need anything fancy. TurboTax makes it really easy to file both IRS and state taxes. They take you through all of the steps so i know that I am putting in the right information in the right place.

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

I hate preparing taxes, so TruboTax was a great solution for me! It kept my information last year, so it made it so much quicker to fill out this year! Not sure if I got all my refund back that I could have, but it was quick and easy!

kerry perez Orem, UT

I use it every year, very easy to use, interactive, my two teens that work now use it themselves for filing their taxes. the only knock so far is they try to sell you bigger packages all the time. but for what i need its working for me!!

JAKE American Fork, UT

I have used Turbo Tax before and had a good experience. I used them when I was younger and my tax returns weren't as complicated. I do feel like its great for college students/newly married couples because it's fairly easy and inexpensive.

Nathan Hill Pleasant Grove, UT

I use turbo tax every year to do my own taxes. I like how organized it is and how they keep track of past years things for me. I have never had any problems with them and i feel I have been able to get the best return through them.

Erika American Fork, UT

Have used turbo tax before when I was younger. Once our tax return became more complicated through the years we decided to switch to another service. It was a little more difficult to try and do the complicated taxes through it. But for basic taxes it worked really well.

Chelsea Horrocks Salt Lake City, UT

I love that I can confidently file my taxes from home. And when I file electronically I get my rebate so fast! I love TurboTax- but it is a hassle to load, which I probably more a reflection of my computer than the actual product.