In 1965, Aubrey Rhodes Sr. founded Rhodes-Murphy & Co., which has since evolved into the innovative company TaxSlayer. TaxSlayer is a tax filing platform that provides personalized tax filing to help customers receive their returns quickly and easily. Their easy-to-use tools and comprehensive deduction finder provide maximum refunds, but with low tax preparation fees. TaxSlayer prices its product based on service levels, not the forms users receive.

#1 TurboTax chevron_right
#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.2
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Variety of Helpful Tools
  • Audit Risk Assistance
  • Accuracy Guarantee

Variety of Helpful Tools

TaxSlayer provides many options of software and hardware to help customers improve the way they address taxes, with three different editions, including their Simply Free edition. In 2017 TaxSlayer launched  a new tool named Workful, which assists small business owners organize their day-to-day operational tasks through consolidating payroll, human resources, and point of sale services into a single cloud-based solution. Additionally, created LegalSpark, to provide fast, affordable legal advice for every legal issue. LegalSpark offers advice from experienced and approved lawyers at the rate of $49.99 for a 20-minute phone conversation. LegalSpark’s lawyers advise consumers on a single legal matter, which saves them the hassle and expense of engaging with law firms or paying an ongoing retainer.

Audit Risk Assistance

This simple meter tells users whether their return is likely to get audited based on a number of factors. While this is a great tool provided by TaxSlayer, it is only available on their Premium Edition.

Accuracy Guarantee

TaxSlayer offers a thorough and helpful accuracy guarantee, promising a maximum tax return or money back. If TaxSlayer does make a mistake, they promise to reimburse one for any Federal or State penalties/interest charges.

The Bad

• Limited Online Chat Help
  • Lack of Transparency

Limited Online Chat Help

TaxSlayer does not provide online chat for all clients: only those clients who choose the Premium plan receive live chat support.

Lack of Transparency

While TaxSlayer may give unique and convenient service, the lack of transparency about certain aspects of the service may dishearten potential clients. For example, TaxSlayer.com does not provide information on their site about the average time it takes to complete taxes, nor do they answer this question via customer service. They also has very limited information regarding audits. While this may be a simple slip up that does not guarantee dishonest service, it does make the company appear less reputable.

The Bottom Line

Is this a recommended program for individuals and businesses? Certainly. The developers have years of experience providing professional tax preparation, which ensures that individuals will likely receive quality service. Though it may not be ideal for a business owner with very complex deductions and financial issues, it does have that "Premium" level. This means that it is likely that individuals and many types of business owners will not run into any problems when relying on this software to get the job done.

3.7

geri
March 1st, 2019 Palm Springs, CA DETAILS

Tax Slayer is misrepresenting the terms from the Green Dot card you must sign up for if you want to get your Federal Tax Refund Advance back in as little as 24 hours. They have the following qualification criteria posted on their website: What are the eligibility requirements for TaxSlayer’s Refund Advance? To be eligible, you must have a W-2 and a current government-issued photo ID. Your eligibility also depends on your federal tax refund amount, verification of your identity, underwriting standards, and other criteria. Other terms and conditions may apply. TaxSlayer’s Refund Advance is not available to Vermont or Illinois residents. What they DON'T disclose is that your Federal Refund amount must be at least $1,500 to get the Advance. This amounts to a usury tax, as you have to pay a fee for the card. Anyone who is applying for a refund advance likely needs the money for emergency expenses. I myself, was trying to use it to assist a good friend who was drastically affected by the 35 day Federal Shutdown, and couldn't pay their rent. To omit a criteria that applies to any and ALL applications smacks of false advertising and purely bad business. BEWARE!

Dan White
January 29th, 2019 Brandon, FL DETAILS

I am a long term TaxSlayer customer of 14 years. I called customer support and asked if I could get a refund advance direct to my checking account and was notified that I would need to opt for the new GreenDot Card to receive it. Reluctantly after the call I filed my taxes and opted for the card so I could get the advertised refund advance 24 hours after it was accepted by the IRS. My new green card arrived in the mail and no money had been posted to it. My refund had been accepted by the IRS on the 23rd of Jan. Since it was over 72 hours after being accepted I called TaxSlayer customer support. I talked to numerous technicians and no-one could help provide a reason why. I finally got in touch with a customer service supervisor and he found that since I'm Active Duty Military my free classic TaxSlayer account didn't qualify for the advance. Unfortunately he was unable to help since the issue was at a much higher level. The biggest issue I have is that the 24 hour tax advance is advertised for classic, premium, and ultimate accounts. There isn't any information regarding active duty filing taxes being ineligible for the refund advance. Now I'm stuck with not receiving a tax refund advance but also receiving my full tax refund on a card I neccessarilly didn't want. Also the fact that this issue affects the many men and women who serve will not receive a refund advance they were expecting. Someone please fix this!

Melissa Gillings
September 18th, 2018

I use TaxSlayer every year! I like that they have all my information updated and ready to go. Makes filing taxes a piece of cake!

Howard Gaskill
August 13th, 2018 Georgetown, DE DETAILS

I just like their software. I use it as a volunteer tax preparer; completed over 50 returns last season.

BARBARA BERGER
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

My experience is very positive; they provide step-by-step directions to ensure you get the best refund.

Frederick Nelson
July 23rd, 2018 Universal City, TX

I have used them for the past two years and feel like I get a pretty good bang for the buck. Used their advisory line last year as well which got me an additional few thousand dollars on my tax return, which I appreciated greatly. Their platform is very easy to use, even for those who aren’t overly tax savvy. I will likely Continue to use them moving forward.

Roxie
March 26th, 2018 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS

I have used almost every program online and Tax slayer has been the best. It is easy to use and what is most important, it calculates the most 500-1000 dollars more than other programs. It also has spots to add unlisted deductions and explains rules very understandable. The company is very concerned of your success, chatting is always available while working on your return. It is very reasonable.

TRISH COLLINS
January 26th, 2017 Tampa, FL

so far great company got my return accepted quickly know more when i have more information from the government but it is in there hands now.

Johnny Aplle
January 11th, 2017 Lenoir City, TN

Wants to lead you by hand. Cannot go directly to forms to fill out information. Works in the back ground and can't see what is input until get ready to view or print form. Bad choice if you know anything about filling out tax forms.

Kevin Netherton
August 3rd, 2016 Iva, SC

Taxslayer was very helpful when I had questions about my return. The process was easy to follow and I got back more than I was expecting! Thanks!