ezTaxReturn started business in 2000 and is one of the most premiere online tax services in the industry. Their product is simple, intuitive, and very easy to use.

#1 TurboTax chevron_right
#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.2
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Supported Tax Forms
  • Active Social Accounts
  • Fast Filing
  • Storage Capabilities
  • Customer Support

With ezTaxReturn, customers do all of their taxes online through the cloud-based system that stores taxes for up to three years. Not only that but the average preparation time for a state and federal return can be completed within 30 minutes. ezTaxReturn also offers a 100% accuracy guarantee as well as audit support. The company has a TRUSTe-certified seal on their website and features bank level encryption.

Supported Tax Forms

ezTaxReturn makes it easy to support most tax situations. Here of some of their forms:

• All of the 1040s Forms.
  • Education Expense forms.
  • Child and Dependent Care expense forms.
  • Retirement forms.
  • Self-employment tax schedules.
  • Schedules A, B, and C.

There are limitations to some of the forms and schedules that they provide. For example, with the employee reimbursement form, if customers want to use the "actual costs" method to compute vehicle expenses, then they are going to have to use a different tax prep provider since they only support the standard mileage rate. As a rule of thumb, only assume that the "standard" means of deduction are going to work on ezTaxReturn if you want to use this platform.

Active Social Accounts

ezTaxReturn updates their Facebook, blog, and Twitter on a regular basis. With some of the other tax prep services out there, there are "stale" social media accounts. With ezTaxReturn, there are a bunch of rich social media and blog information out there ranging from tax tips to tax deadlines for the upcoming year. ezTaxReturn is a transparent company. They state that they are TRUSTe-certified and Norton Secured. We also found out that they:

• Do ongoing security reviews.
  • Have some of the safest and secure data centers around.
  • Do daily vulnerability scanning.
  • Also have the best, in terms of SSL certificates.

Fast Filing

With ezTaxReturn, it is very easy to do everything within 30 minutes so that customers know if they have to pay or if they get a refund.

Storage Capabilities

Another thing that really stood out was the ability to "hold onto your records." If customers need a tax return from a few years ago, they don't have to pay to get that tax return sent. Here are their storage capabilities:

• Secure storage and downloads of all forms for a very long period of time.
  • Download forms after three years for a fee.
  • First-class mailing of forms for a fee.
  • Overnight mailing of forms for a fee.

There are also multiple ways to get a refund:

• Direct deposit to a checking or savings account
  • Direct deposit to a new or existing prepaid (debit) card
  • Get refund checks at a location near you (not always available).

Customer Support

• Phone: (516) 626-7666
  • Address: 100 Ring Road West, Suite 214, Garden City, NY 11530

The Bad

• Federal Price
  • Missing Form Options
  • Confusing Accuracy Guarantee

Federal Price

• Federal Tax Return - This product includes three years of secure storage and three years of unlimited downloads. Customers also like that the plan comes with no-wait-on-hold phone support and an identity theft package. People can refile for rejections unlimitedly. This product costs $29.95
  • State Tax Return - This product also includes three years of secure storage and three years of unlimited downloads. Customers also like that the plan comes with no-wait-on-hold phone support and an identity theft package. People can re-file for rejections unlimitedly. This product costs $19.95
  • Federal + State Tax Return - This product costs $39.95 and has all of the same benefits as the Federal Tax Return Plan, plus the ability to file state returns as well.

Missing Form Options

There are a lot of different things that their forms do not support. As mentioned above, one example is the employee reimbursement form. If a customer tries to calculate their self-employment, ezTaxReturn only supports Part I of the self-employment schedule. They cannot use Part II if they are trying to figure out the net earnings with an alternative method. Customers might want to start the process and see if their "limitations" are going to work for their tax situation.

Confusing Accuracy Guarantee

ezTaxReturn does not provide a clear accuracy guarantee on their website, however, they do have a general guarantee. ezTaxReturn aims to provide customers with the highest tax refund possible and will reimburse the price one paid for their services if one finds a higher refund with another company. Not only that, but the company does not require a commitment to pay if a customer is not completely satisfied.

The Bottom Line

The main negative thing that about ezTaxReturn was the inability to do taxes if you wanted to take out certain types of deductions like only doing the "standard mileage" if you used your own vehicle for work. If you are going to use ezTaxReturn, we encourage you to "play around" with the forms a bit to make sure that they support your tax-filing situation. Also, with no options for free filing, it might be better to go with another tax preparing company.

2.6

Matt
March 28th, 2019 Eugene, OR DETAILS

Paid 29.95 just before being told the IRS would not accept return. Due to a death I have no method of getting the information needed. They would be happy to help me complete a paper file though. I will admit to being frustrated as I was lured to the site with promise of free filing. Then to have to pay before filing was accepted seems purposely shady though my situation might be unique. Learn from my loss and go with a more reputable company. They did get back to me quickly when I asked for help, though it was not the answer I wanted. Decent enough customer service.

M D Roland
February 26th, 2019 Columbia, SC DETAILS

Wish I had read these reviews before using E-tax. Completed forms and wanted to file the forms myself. I wanted to be able to print out copies and check them to be sure I had all the information correct. The forms are all legible on the screen; but when I print them, it comes out in gobble-de-goop. The numbers show up but the words on the lines are all illegible. I used E-tax because I clicked on it as a "free" return. When I finished the forms, I had to pay fees on VISA. I'm now wondering if this is some kind of scam.

Marie
February 14th, 2019 Katy, TX

it will not allow periods to be used in the prior AGI. Jeez. submitted it to the IRS, example 9,045 and it will not allow me to enter the information. I am using the free version. due to my income. It says to not enter a period but when I type in say 9056.67 it gives my prior AGI as 905,667. I feel that they are trying to force me to pay the $29.99 instead of letting me file for free. I got their information off irs.gov

Bianca
January 2nd, 2019 Reedley, CA DETAILS

I have efiled my tax return through ezTaxReturn for the past four years and each time it was processed efficiently and quickly. Of course, dates to file and receive a refund are strictly based on the IRS, exTaxReturn basically takes care of you prepared tax information and files it accordingly. Also, sets you up with a debit card to receive your refund on, if you are getting a refund. Preparation fees are not collected until you receive your refund. I highly recommend this online service.

Marilyn Greer
July 23rd, 2018 Saint George, UT

There were categories I needed that weren't listed. I found it difficult to navigate.

[email protected]
March 16th, 2018 Alexander City, AL

Most frustrating tax return ever. It does not allow you to enter Charity info in a grouping if you give to the same charity at verious times. It will not print out any of your information so you can review as you go. At the end I was given a wrong final tax --I had already done my information on paper and their tax was way, way off. Terrible product.

Rachael
March 13th, 2018 Plymouth, MA DETAILS

When I started filling out my tax return, ezTaxReturn told me I qualified for a free statement. I took the time to fill out my entire form and when I got to the end, the website told me they were charging me $30, when I was only getting $90 back!

Sarah Bartholomew
March 12th, 2018 Orleans, MA DETAILS

Super frustrating to try and get a response from these people. They want you to go to FAQ's or their customer base first. They answer email questions here and there, not every time. This year they toute that they have phone support but....wait for it....you cannot get to a live person. They want you to leave your number and they will call you back. Their pricing is smoke and mirrors. A claim of 'free' tax return quickly morphs into $39.99. Last year I will use them. Aggravating.

Michael Spaude
February 27th, 2018 Antigo, WI DETAILS

I have never had a problem. Since I am a minister, my tax situation is a bit unusual. But no problems, quick return, and they offered very prompt answers to all the questions that I had

Marilyn Southern
February 26th, 2018 Detroit, MI DETAILS

Great communication. I have never had a problem with a return.

jdkean1
February 21st, 2018 Chicago, IL DETAILS

Used EZtaxreturn services the last several years. I have also tried other websites and services and on the other sites my refund came out to a lower price so I stick with EZtaxreturn.

Craig Heilman
January 31st, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

I filed my daughters tax return from a link on the IRS web site saying it would be free. They ended up charging me $19.95 to file my state return. After the IRS rejected my daughters return, the web site couldn't give me an explanation until I contacted them. The reason it was rejected was because it was my daughters first ever return. Makes sense. However, one of the questions on this site asks if this is your first return, which I answered yes. So, I asked for a refund, and they said no. I was able to get one through my bank, but not after getting rude customer service from this site. I would not recommend this site to anyone.

Jose
January 31st, 2017 Aurora, IL

I have used eztaxreturn for the past 8 years. Since the first time I had to file my taxes on my own until now that I have a house, a wife and kids. I always found them easy to use and never had issues. But my dad has always said I should try the service he uses. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention other names so I will leave it blank for now. But this other service was much easier to use and after preparing side by side I had a much larger return on the other service. It was about the same price, but audit insurance was higher at the other service. So needless to say I will be using the other service from now on. I suggest trying other places before committing to eztaxreturn.

Ed Camp
January 30th, 2017 Freehold, NJ

ezTaxReturn provided exactly what they advertised. I completed my taxes in a fast, easy and convenient way. They emailed me a discount on their already low price and when I had a question customer service got back to me immediately. Thank you ezTaxReturn for making my tax preparation, in your words, almost fun.

[email protected]
May 23rd, 2016 Glendale, AZ

Final product (tax return) is incorrect. Failed to include 1099 and more than a month after the tax deadline, realized this error.

Charlene
April 20th, 2016 Catonsville, MD

I have been using EZTaxReturn.com for the past 6 years without problem. This year, however, my return was rejected twice. I called the IRS, waited for 30 minutes to get through, and she said there is nothing wrong with it. I am now waiting to hear back from EZTaxReturn. EZTaxReturn already took my money. And I only have 4 days left to file without a penalty.

Kyle
April 15th, 2016 Passaic, NJ

EZ tax return did a great job for me. It was very easy and spelled out. I was able to do most of it on my cell phone and it only took about 2 hours. I got a great refund and am very happy with EZ tax return! They were also extremely inexpensive!

Tim Ferguson
February 24th, 2016 Athens, AL

We used ezTaxreturn this year over Turbo Tax, which we usually use. It ended up costing us over $2000 on our federal return and over $1000 on our state return. Lesson learned. We'll just go back to Turbo Tax next year.