1040.com has been in business since 1977 under Drake Software, the parent company that builds tax software and business solutions for several companies in the industry. 1040.com makes it easy to file your taxes and get your tax return, as it was built by tax professionals. The website boasts that 175 people helped build the 1040.com online platform, and more than 21,000,000 tax returns were filed through the website in the last tax season.

Drake Software and 1040.com claims to be tax geeks; many of the company’s employees are CPAs and tax lawyers, making it easy for a customer to file their 1040 form online. Dealing with the IRS can get complicated. No matter the tax situation, the 1040.com software will provide step-by-step instructions to help get you the correct tax forms, check for accuracy, and get you the fastest tax refund possible on your state and federal tax return.

In addition, for every tax return filed on 1040.com, the company donates $2 to clean water projects.

#1 TurboTax chevron_right
#2 H&R Block chevron_right
3.2
#3 E-File chevron_right

The Good

• Advanced Software
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Automatically Suggested Deductions
  • Blog of Tips
  • Mobile-friendly Site
  • Supported Forms

Advanced Software

Drake Software's 1040.com tax filing solution is built off of their proprietary tax software product. There are many different software solutions, including GruntWorx, that make it easy for users to manage their documents. GruntWorx is a secure cloud-based paradigm that automates the tax preparation process. In the 1040.com platform, clients can transform their preparation and organization of forms through a unique cloud server that stores tax documents securely and safely. Drake Software also has several webinars and blogs that advise clients on tax prep solutions, the latest IRS reforms, and other trending information in the industry. Drake has also won several awards in the industry, including the CPA Practice Advisor's Readers' Choice Award and First Place in the AICPA Software Survey, which includes Best Software for a new practice.

Federal and State Prices

There were many things that we liked about 1040.com. Among the best company traits were the prices. We found that the basic and deluxe prices were pretty affordable in the industry. We also liked the free filing option available. Free file is available for those using a 1040EZ form. Here are the three helpful tax products are available for federal tax filing with 1040.com.

• Federal Edition: for simple tax situations, this product is available for free file.
  • Basic Edition: additional credits are available with the Basic Edition. One can purchase it for $19.95.
  • Deluxe Edition: this product offers full itemizing and credits. It costs $39.95.

Additional state fees for the Federal Edition, Basic Edition, and Deluxe Edition are free with the Free Edition, $14.95 with the Basic Edition, and $19.95 with the Deluxe Edition.

Automatically Suggested Deductions

The company has an abundance of deduction resources on its website. People can go to learn about standard and itemized deductions, as well as different ways one can use deductibles. The helpful information 1040.com provides about deducting state and local taxes is thorough and was written for the benefit of the customer. There are a lot of helpful tips in the "Tax Savings Strategies" portion of the site, as well as important deductible information for those who are self-employed. Tax preparers may also get an estimated tax refund through the free 1040.com Tax Refund Calculator App.

Blog of Tips

We found the blog to be particularly helpful. Customers can learn a little bit more about how to include our donations with state and federal tax filings and how to get a receipt stating the "fair market value" of the items donated and not the price paid when they were purchased.

Mobile-Friendly Site

1040.com is also mobile friendly. This is always a bonus for any company because it makes filing taxes more convenient. The process can be started and completed anywhere you go.

Supported Forms

Basic tax preparation: The company offers 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ forms. Advanced tax preparation: They also offer forms like the Schedule C for profit or loss in business, the Schedule E for supplemental loss and income, and more.

The Bad

• No Tax Calculator
  • No Audit Support

No Tax Calculator

One issue we have with the website is the lack of a tax calculator. Other websites, such as eFile, provide clients with a free tax calculator to use before starting the tax filing process. With 1040.com, you have to begin your tax process to start determining your tax liability for any given year.

No Audit Support

It is unfortunate that the company doesn't provide information on audit support. It is a small company that was derived from a bigger company (Drake Software), and its mission is to provide customers with simple and easy-to-use tax filing products. Audit assistance from professional tax preparers would be nice.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we would recommend going with another company if you are filing your taxes. We did like the following aspects of 1040.com:

• The free filing option and one-time fee that covered state income tax filings.
  • Affordable premium tax filing products.
  • A good collection of blog articles that addressed a wide array of different issues.
  • An easy-to-use tax forms system that is backed by Drake Software's proprietary GruntWorx preparation system with step-by-step instructions

Here is what we found inadequate about 1040.com:

• The "free" label is a little bit misleading. As a client is filling out a tax return, you might find that you need a higher grade option to process different deductions that are not available with the "free" filing option.
  • There are only three service levels that do not include support for different types of taxing situations, such as farm income or other types of income tax.

For a single W-2 situation, 1040.com might be a good tax service to use. However, you might find that the website is a little bit cumbersome for larger tax situations. In complicated tax situations, it might be best to use a professional tax preparation service.

1.6
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

Nick
August 11th, 2019 La Grande, OR DETAILS

Rating: 0 I used them to pay my federal taxes as it was an option given by my tax preparer. I was issued a receipt of payment and my money was taken. However!! 1040.com are crooks as they never sent my payment to IRS! Stay clear of this company. They will take your money and cause a nightmare with IRS. IRS is threatening to levy my property. Eventhough I sent IRS documentation of my payment, they say nothing they can do. I have to resolve through 1040.com and that's been a joke!

Estate
April 29th, 2019 Nashville, TN DETAILS

Pay1040 did not send my payment to the IRS. Pay1040 does not have a dispute resolution process. The company confirmed payment & then sent an email on a holiday that stated the payment would be refunded instead of being sent to the IRS. I called on Sunday to resolve the issue & was told the payment was already refunded. I wrote on Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday to resolve the issue. On Wednesday, I was told the payment was refunded the prior Saturday. I was later told they couldn't refund it on Saturday, but that it was refunded on Monday despite my reported error & multiple requests for resolution. Pay1040 does not follow regulatory requirements.

draper
April 18th, 2019 Kellogg, IA

Was told on the Iowa Tax site they provide free tax filings and when you get to the state part they charge!! FRAUD!! Stay away from this place

Michael Foley
April 17th, 2019 Chicago, IL

I just tried to open an account. The username was too short, but it didn't tell me that until after i clicked submit. Now it won't let me fix the account name, and won't let me submit for a different account under my current email. website designed by amateurs.

1040.com Logo

Reply from 1040.com

Apr 18, 2019

Hi Michael! Our website does actually allow multiple accounts per email address – we’d love to get to the bottom of what’s holding you up! You can get in touch with our support team at [email protected] Hope to hear from you soon!

Sid mounedji
February 26th, 2019 Orlando, FL DETAILS

The worst experience I ever had it’s with this company ,?I believe the people that work there whether the management or the customer service has no soul . They are not human they could care less about you ...they just want to get paid they are $2.50 fee

Claudia
July 23rd, 2018 Camas, WA DETAILS

1040 Tax Service is thorough, friendly and very trustworthy. They recently moved and sent me detailed information, so I could easily find them in their new location just across the street from the Vancouver Public Library. I would highly recommend this company to others seeking friendly and qualified tax preparation. Sincerely, Claudia Heacock

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT

Had some tax questions and I found a lot of answers from them. I would recommend checking out if you need help with your taxes.

Shelby M
April 13th, 2018 DETAILS

If I could give less than 1 star I would. Terrible customer service, no explanation that I would be unable to sign into my account from overseas. Robotic replies from the "customer service representatives". No Facebook page, no response on Twitter. Wish I had realised it was all a bit shady before filing my return.

Rose
April 2nd, 2018 Buffalo, NY DETAILS

I thought I was going to be charged 44.90 but apparently when you opt to have the fees deducted from your refund they tack on another 24.95 but this is NOT CLEARLY itemized with your total fees. It only lists the state fee and the federal fee and nothing else. So they charged me 69.85. If they were clear about these extra fees I would have never opted to use this service. I have used them for years but will not again. Also their customer service is lacking. They have email and live chat but they time you out of live chat before you can explain your problem. They have no phone support either . I would stay away. Also they say "free" but that is not true.

Daniel Ward
February 21st, 2018 Meridian, MS DETAILS

Used for many years, and used others: free and paid. Turbox is the best

Shane Newell
February 21st, 2018 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

I used 1040.com for years to file my taxes for free. This year they said they would charge me me $33 to file my federal taxes. I have a confirmation screen that showing "My Payment $33.71". I was charged $60 instead. I tried to contact them but they only have chat support. There is no phone number and if you call the parent company Drake Software they won't give you a phone number, only an email. I emailed and was told that I was charged correctly, even after I sent a screen shot showing my real charge. This company commits tax preparation fraud and has no contact method to correct. Avoid at all costs.

Pat
February 20th, 2018 Dunellen, NJ

Did my kids taxes in about 15 minutes. Most of the time was wasted trying to figure out what email I should use.

Leanette
February 13th, 2018 Grand Rapids, MI

I wish I could rate them 0 stars. They tried to royally rip me off. After completing my Federal return (I'd opted out of the state), and downloading my PDF copy, I got to the payment-options page, and suddenly my refund had been reduced over $1000. WTF! Their "chat" session was a joke. Tried 3x before a 3rd rep promised to issue me a "support ticket". Whatever. I've used 1040 the previous year, with no hassles. Never again.

Patricia Parrent
January 25th, 2018 Buffalo, NY

I used this site for the first time this year - super easy to do - and i had a question about my state return - i used the online chat and they created a ticket and emailed me the solution in about a half hour...My Federal tax was filed and accepted overnight!! And it was free!! Will use again next year - Thank you!!

Nathan Krauss
April 25th, 2017

They charged me for nothing. I was billed before even completing the filing process, and in the end I wasn't able to file because it said the amounts on two different lines didn't match, even though they did. I had to redo all of the work and paper file, despite the fact that they already charged me for $33. Please do not use this website. Because it's all automated, you don't know the values that they are filling in for some boxes and a lot of the numbers I found on my return thru the site seemed very random.

Ryan Gaston
April 25th, 2017 Northfield, OH

I was also charged for nothing. When I asked for a refund they denied it, stating they charged me for the calculations not the filing...

Elvira Tootsie
April 19th, 2017

This must be the worst website to file your taxes that I found on the IRS website. I started the process today April 18th at 6:00 pm pst till 8:00 pm. I was getting an oops error messages like over 100 times and it was so frustrating and they charged me $14.95 for nothing! I am very disappointed. I will never do my own taxes on 1040.com. I will be calling them to get my money back,that's if there's a live person to talk to. I tried the live chat and emailing them and kept getting the same error message. I definitely do not recommend this website.

JLizKernan
April 12th, 2017

HORRIBLE. They are deceptive and unethical. "Wynette" is the worst customer service rep and the reason we are canceling 3 accounts. They have billed our account without rendering any service and make no apologies for it. Very misleading business practices. Be very WARY of this company.

Alexis
April 12th, 2017 Chicago, IL

Went with them because it was an option on the IRS website, I got locked out of my account and you can only access the "help" button if you're signed in. The other option is to email them. They responded after 15 minutes, however, they only offer customer support via email. I told them I couldn't sign in and that the website was not sending me my forgotten login as it says it was. They told me to try it again. After trying, it made no difference. They then told me to just create a new account and that I'd have to re-pay for their services.

Kimberly Romanesky Tenoever
March 16th, 2017 Durham, NC

Worked GREAT for submitting my kids 1040EZ's and State Returns.

Bob Glob
November 11th, 2016

I went here because it appeared on the first page of my Google search. One page I entered my W2 info only to find it had timed out and I had to start over. I checked some reviews and then went to a paid site. Same data and the other site reported about $2000 less in taxes owed. Pay a little and do it right!

Angelo Villafane
May 5th, 2016 Eugene, OR

Difficult to contact directly and when I did get ahold of a service associate they didn't even read my email before firing back a piece of useless advice.

Evan
April 20th, 2016 Gilbert, AZ

My tax return was totally screwed up a d in my rush to file I paid the fees and hit send before thoroughly reviewing it. Scam scam scam...run!

Nicki Dawson
April 13th, 2016 Matthews, NC

I found this site extremely easy to use. I had difficulty finding a form I needed to file with my taxes. They helped me locate and add the form with ease. Will use again.

Carl Boyd
March 21st, 2016 Chicago, IL

Thanks to 1040.com, I now have my routing and account number memorized, because I was forced to re-type it 3 TIMES. Why didn't their system remember all my direct deposit info, but it could remember my security PIN number at the very end?! And when there was an ID error in one of my W2's, and the IRS rejected it, they decided I qualified for twice the service fee, even though my income and refund hadn't changed. Well, it did change, after they decided they'd double-dip at my expense. Crappy, crappy automated service.

Victor pena
March 14th, 2016 Chula Vista, CA

They should be on the worst company website. 1040.com is not a respectable and trustworthy company,they should not be handling people's sensitive information. I'm reporting them to the irs criminal investigation unit and anyone else that will listen. They had me believe that I would get my money deposited into my bank account and they specifically asked for bank aba routing # and acct#. Well the where's my refund date is March 2 if nothing by the 7th contact bank. So ok i call bank and they no nothing of the sort they suggest calling irs to make sure the numbers and information are correct. Irs tells me that the money was paid out to a third party's bank account which I supposedly authorized and that it was paid out on the second. So I go crazy because there's no way of reaching them. I see they have a face book and I send them a friend request with a message asking them what the next step is n saying that I'm down for some extra fees n all but come on wtf! They respond within the hour and give me another number to eps financial and they tell me that they sent out a debit card from E1 visa prepaid card account. But that they Sent it to the wrong adress that they would be sending me another one and charging me 40 dlls extra because it would be express delivery. Now this was on Monday the 7th and I have not received anything not a . Penny and I also asked about my state refund and they said they don't know anything about it. When I have e-mails from them confirming that it was accepted by state. Also after I called on Monday they sent me two emails one was the e1 cardholder agreement with the link to activate the card once I got it, so how come I'm barely getting info if supposedly they had already sent it. They had my address wrong not my email. The number is (484)5462240 and 18663318756 for the card. What gets me is when u call the card number they say (to activate a card press 1, to check on refund status press2.) So I press 2 and it says to log on to www.wheresmyrefund.com. Because their agents couldn't tell . 1040.com should not be allowed to keep stealing people's hard earned money. The biggest crook of all gave me my money back but not so u could keep it.

Mike Vincent
March 8th, 2016 Orange Park, FL

No telephone support, and their EPS product leaves much to be desired. Charged me way too much 39.95 to file my taxes.

shannon unruh
February 24th, 2016 Albuquerque, NM

Do not use this company I paid $59.90 for there service and Irs and state kept rejecting my taxes so I called them and they said is was because of 1040.com or so they thought just a speculation and they recommend that I use another online for my taxes such as turbo tax and so I did and sure enough my taxes were accepted that night and now I have to dispute the charges for services that I never received DO Not use 1040.com

Dave Gealekman
April 30th, 2015 Derby, CT

There is no login page for returning users on the mobile version of their website. How dumb is that???