Vudu

Vudu Logo

Vudu

Zero Monthly Fees

Vudu is an online movie and TV streaming service that is owned by Wal-Mart and has been around for over ten years. They do offer $2 for two day DVD rentals which is extremely competitive for movie rentals.  Their main business stems from digital streaming, providing even more entertainment options to consumers.

Netflix Logo Netflix ›

9.3

Overall
Score

Amazon Prime Logo Amazon Prime ›

7.6

Overall
Score

YouTube Logo YouTube ›

7.5

Overall
Score

Vudu Logo Vudu ›

6.3

Overall
Score

The Good

• No subscriptions or fees
  • No ads
  • Rent movies the same day they are released on DVD
  • Easily save your movies online
  • Library of free content

Only Pay For What You Watch

With Vudu, you only pay for what you watch - there are no subscriptions and no late fees.

Ad-Free Viewing

All paid streaming through Vudu is ad free which makes for a great user experience.

Large Entertainment Library Selection

Vudu boasts a large media library of over 15,000 movies and 2,000 TV series.

Immediate Movie Release

Vudu claims movies will be available the same day they are released on DVD. This is a huge advantage over Netflix, at which you have to wait 28 days after a movie is released before it's available.

Compliant with UltraViolet

Vudu is now compliant with UltraViolet, meaning any DVDs or Blu-ray discs cleared by studios for digital distribution can be uploaded to the cloud and watched through Vudu. This makes a digital copy of your movie that you can watch from anywhere and keep for forever.

Free Content

Vudu offers a small library of free content, both TV shows and movies. Some titles stay free, and others are swapped each week. The shows have ads, but are completely free when you sign in with a free account.

The Bad

• Expensive rental prices

Expensive Rental Prices

Services like Netflix or HuluPlus cost only $7.99 per month for unlimited viewing while just one movie on Vudu could cost you $4.99, and a TV episode will run you a couple dollars.

Charged Per Upload to UltraViolet

As we mentioned before, you can upload any UltraViolet movies you've purchased to Vudu. However, Vudu will charge you for each movie that you upload (between $2-$5).

The Bottom Line

Vudu is pricey, but you are paying for a premium product. You get access to a wide selection of movies and TV shows, and most important of all, you get them as fast as possible. There is no contract or subscription with Vudu, so if you don't like what you are getting, then you can stop and find another company to stream with.

Overall, we recommend considering the top rated companies before making a final decision.

3.7

Kathryn
May 16th, 2019 Glendale, AZ DETAILS

We have really enjoyed VUDU. It has allowed us to consolidate our movie collection that was in the cloud, all into one place. Add to that the ease of taking your collection with you when you travel with a ROKU stick and you are all set. To date, have only stayed at one resort where the whole tv was boxed in and there was no access to use a ROKU. Vudu allows us to watch our tv shows and movies wherever we are. When there have been any issues, they have been very available to try to remedy them. The only issue we have had is some of the coding of genres and I don't think that is VUDU. but the studios who originate the codes. For example the newer Cinderella should show up under Family & Kids but it doesn't. I just wish Disney would get on board again with their services and allow the disc to digital conversion. We have so many Disney movies that are not in the cloud that our grandchildren would enjoy. That being said, I refuse to pay full price twice for a Disney movie.

Ashley
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I enjoy using Vudu because it is extremely simple for me to use. I find the video content of my choice then I download it and then I have 24 hours to watch it. It is very simple and the selection of movies is high quality. When you sign up you get 3 rentals for 99 cents! Its awesome!

Dan
March 4th, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT

Would give them zero if I could. I received a Vudu movie as a gift and I can't even redeem it unless I give them my credit card information. I don't feel comfortable giving my credit card information to a company who has already had their system breached before. I would much rather just buy gift cards and used those but after repeated emails with Vudu customer support there was nothing they could do for me.

Christian
February 26th, 2019 Folsom, CA DETAILS

Vudu are lying thieves that won't do anything to help you.I have over 300 movies.Two of my movies disappeared.They won't honor and replace my missing movies. Don't risk losing your money with them. I was a loyal fan of them and profitable customer.Not any more. You've been warned

MSloan
February 26th, 2019 Madera, CA DETAILS

Vudu is the worst for streaming movies. It's always stopping and can't enjoy a movie. If a movie is 2 hrs it takes you 4.5 hours to watch it. My signal is good and no reason can my internet find any issues. Will not be renting any more movies from them.

Jason
February 20th, 2019 Harrisburg, PA DETAILS

I was double charged for one movie and and then charged for another. Never got the movies. I emailed customer service 10 times over the course of two months. they never resolved, called me a liar even though I screenshot my bank statement showing the proof. I eventually had to go through my bank for fraudulent charges and then Vudu cancelled my whole account basically making my account a 500 dollar lose for 18 dollars in charges. Beware, never buy or rent anything from them they will basically ignore you and be disrespectful. I only asked for a refund or the items I paid for.

Brainsmasher
February 19th, 2019 Hamler, OH DETAILS

Very large library of movies to watch for free. Great sales without leaving the house. Being able to download and watch anywhere on multiple devices is great.

Jenni Walker
February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love having one place for all of my digital movies. I do think their rental rate is a little high, but they have a lot of sales on movies, and have a lot of great movies that are free with ads!

Erika Thorn
February 12th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

We buy many movies off of VUDU and I can’t complain. They run deals all the time which I really like. They download instantly and are ready to watch.

Debbie Aston
February 12th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

We have over 700 movies on vudu. We love vudu, it is very affordable and very user friendly. they have great customer service, my son bought some movies by accident and they took them off and refunded us the money no questions asked.

Oakley Rockwood
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT

I really like Vudu. I enjoy the amount of videos they have available and the ease of access. I can watch my movies anywhere and stay entertained when I need it.

Milton Fletcher
February 4th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

Vudu streaming service with the options to also buy is a nice feature. The SD quality need some improvements.

Marie
February 4th, 2019 Heber, UT

Like having a place to put digital copies of my movies and that it has an app for my Roku.

Dan Colton
February 4th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love Vudu! I have a ton of DVDs/BluRays, and I am trying to migrate everything to the cloud. Vudu lets me purchase digital copies of many of the videos I already own for less than I would have to pay to buy the video again. It's a great service!

Eddie
January 15th, 2019 Hermosa Beach, CA DETAILS

Email customer support is horrible!!!! Sent 3 messages and not even a courtesy response.

Shayla Hankins
January 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT

Vudu is amazing for both renting/buying movies and tv shows but also getting a digital version of the discs you already own by just putting in a simple code. Once you put in the code you can watch all your movies anywhere and that is amazing.

Dasha Directo
January 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Vudu has a ton of recent movies. The quality of the movies are in HD, so the quality is always good.

Hailey Nilson
January 4th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I bought a movie through Vudu that was very difficult to find. The billing process was simple, and movie turned out in a great quality. I would definitely buy from them again.

Matt
January 2nd, 2019 Ripon, WI DETAILS

Incredibly disappointed. Automatically links your payment information from Walmart so when my 1 year old son was just clicking on our tv remote he purchased a rental of the movie. Asked for a refund and was told that they didn't do that. There are much better options out there than VUDU. Cannot recommend them in any way.

Anthony Gallicchio
December 21st, 2018 East Amherst, NY DETAILS

TERRIBLE!!!! I had over 500 movies. Now i dont. I was told on the phone theres nothing they can do. offered my $4.99. cool a free rental. Forget that. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Joe
December 20th, 2018

Completely unable to sign into my account transferred over from Flixster (with whom I never had any issues at all). Support took way longer to get back to me and were completely unhelpful. Thus, all my movies are completely inaccessible and all I get after resetting my password for the tenth time is “login failure.” So frustrating! If I could give this company zero stars I would.

Lauren Wilson
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Such an easy way to stream movies! So worth the price!! I haven't found any movies that I want that they don't have. Such a great

Erin
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

vudus allows you to stream anywhere, which is very helpful for a busy family. it’s affordable and is very convenient:)))

Mia Hernandez
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

I really like this company it makes streaming for new movies fairly easy way better than having to actually go to the store and buy a DVD I only wish that when they have the newest movies available they would also give you the option to rent the movie instead of just owning it instead you have to wait for a while before your able to rent it so kinda sucks but it's ok.... I also kinda wish they had an area of all the movies you've purchased in one place it about you but I dnt have the best memory so having to search movies I already own kinda sucks it'd be nice to be able to go to a tab of all the movies I've purchased in one area cuz honestly sometimes it what I wanna watch until I see the cover or read the title

Shawn
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have used Vudu mostly after purchasing a dvd or blue ray and the digital version is an option to download. It is sometimes a bit hard to down load, but appreciate being able to have it.

Spencer Scoville
December 3rd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

It is so fun to carry around movies in your pocket! VUDU is so easy to navigate it took me a total of 15 seconds to understand how to use it. I enjoy being able to download movies I have purchased on DVD straight to my phone.

Ang
November 27th, 2018 Heber, UT DETAILS

Awful! They charged my sister four times for a movie she already owns. Her kids thought they were watching the movie. Customer service refused to reimburse the money for a movie they owned! Plus they've tried to removed their bank information but it Vudu won't let it be deleted.

Jerry
November 27th, 2018 Mason, OH DETAILS

The worst customer service I have ever experienced. They ignore your issue and close your case as they say have a nice day.

Melyssa Preece
November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I like vudu! I love that I can buy a movie on dvd and then be able to stream it on my phone later.

Rachel Spielberger
November 19th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Very nice service, I have never had any problems. Have a good selection of movies, and you can use digital codes as well, which is nice.

Abigail scoville
November 19th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love having an app on my phone that I can easily download and watch movies. Unlike other competitors Vudu also has a free movie section that you can enjoy with just a select number of ads. I also really enjoy having vudu as my digital backup for DVDs I own.

Maddy Bohn
November 16th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I emailed the support team and they quickly answered many of my questions. Great service.

Nathan hanzel
November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I have used their service a lot to watch my own movies and there has never been a lot of lag!

Angela Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

This is a great idea! When we get a movie with a digital copy we add it to our account, and we can watch it anywhere. It is really good for travel. The price for renting movies are a little too expensive when compared to redbox, but the variety is much better.

Jason Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

Vudu is great! I can watch new releases on my home tv, no matter if I want to own them or just rent them. It's easy to search for the shows that I am looking for and I've never had a billing issue.

Madison Parsons
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love using vudu to watch the latest released movies and is very easy to navigate . It would be nice if it was a monthly fee instead of payment by movie. Sometimes i get frustrated when the movies buffer alot

Randal hyde
November 1st, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS

I like the ability to watch new and old movies on Vudu from my own home. It makes movie night easy and their prices are better than buying the movie from the store. It's easy to use and I would reccomend it to everyone.

Cody Enslow
November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Vudu isn’t popular enough unfortunately. They always have every movie I want so I typically buy here for cheap if it’s not on Netflix or Hulu.

Maya Lewis
November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Vudu helps me access some of my favorite TV shows and movies. This saves me time trying to record them on my DVR.

Tate Tomlinson
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Vudu is a great medium for tons of different entertainment devices. Vudu is very easy to navigate and it links to TVs which is great.

Kristen Schow
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have really enjoyed our membership with Voodoo! It allows me to share the movies with all of my kids and keep them in one place! And I love how they've integrated with Walmart also. Great service and I would highly recommend.

Amy Leifi
October 30th, 2018 Orem, UT

I've only used the service once, but it was great. If you don't mind watching an ad or two, you can see the shows you want.

Mary
October 30th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS

Vudu has been a fantastic way to store all of our movies and access them easily! We haven't had any issues with their service so far. It's very user friendly and convenient.

Dylan Curtis
October 26th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We use it for the digital copies of our family movie vault so everyone can access the movies. It's handy because we can watch the movies on the iPad or the desktop.

Brady Hanson
October 19th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

I love this service! Vudu is the perfect service if you are looking for a movie night, but you don't want to leave the house. They have a great selection of older and newer movies. I would highly recommend them.

Sofie Rosenvall
September 19th, 2018 Alpine, UT

We have used Vudu a lot to rent movies to watch as a family... Its simple and easy. Their app/website is simple and easy to navigate to find what movie you are looking for!

wanda
August 30th, 2018 Saint George, UT

i like the selection they have and allows me to buy movies for my kids on there devices. movies start from where you left off which is great. i like the benefit of not having to remember to return it and get charged extra for late fees.

Jason Miller
August 29th, 2018 Lindon, UT

We love having all of our movies in one place. Easy to use and they have a great variety.

Jr
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

super awesome. wide selection. has current films. not badly priced either.

Aiga
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

good quality picture with a lot to choose from. a little pricey. but i like the variety it has.