Netflix is a streaming giant and a leader in TV and video streaming service, largely replacing cable for many subscribers around the world. It offers a large selection of television shows and movies, with a library exceeding 20,000 feature items. Netflix is continuing to expand its library of award winning original content.

#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• Large Viewing Selection
  • Affordable Price
  • Easy of Use

Large Library Selection

Netflix has over 3,600 movies and 800 TV series available for viewing for their subscribers. Netflix users can access their entire range of shows with unlimited streaming and can have multiple users streaming at any given time. Netflix's original series (such as "Orange is the New Black", "Stranger Things", "Black Mirror", "House of Cards", or "Bojack Horseman") attract even more customers to choose Netflix as their streaming platform. Netflix tends to upload an entire season of a show at once instead of episode by episode. This is attractive for those who would prefer to binge-watch instead of waiting between episodes.

Affordable Price

Netflix has managed to maintain relatively reasonable monthly prices. As of May 2019, its most basic monthly price is $8.99. Netflix also offers standard, premium, and family packages. These packages, which cost a few more dollars a month, provide better streaming quality and the availability to stream on multiple screens at once. This is great for families or friends who would like to share their account between multiple people.

Netflix also offers a free, month-long trial which allows potential subscribers full access to their services.

Easy of Use

Subscribers can set up separate accounts for multiple viewers, including kids. This allows for parental controls to screen for inappropriate content.

Netflix has an algorithm that recommends movies and TV shows related to content the user has previously watched. A user can search for something to watch by title or genre. The interface is extremely user-friendly and intuitive.

The Bad

• Long wait periods
  • Content changes
  • Viewing quality

Long Waiting Periods

When a movie or TV show is released on traditional television or in the box office, it might take a month or up to a year to be available on Netflix. Netflix has have a lot of great features but it also has a few drawbacks to its services. Mainly, subscribers have to wait to watch new seasons of popular tv shows.

Content Changes

Netflix adds and removes content from their library all of the time. That means a favorite movie or television show is not guaranteed to always be available to stream. Movies and shows are frequently rotated, which means favorites will not always be available. You may be watching a show one day and it won't be available the next.

Viewing Quality

Netflix needs high internet speeds in order to function at its best. HD is available with Netflix's Standard and Premium packages, but Ultra HD is only available on Premium. This higher viewing quality comes at a higher monthly price.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Netflix is generally more affordable than other providers, commercial free, plays in stunning HD, and offers a free trial period for potential subscribers to test out their services. Netflix has several great original series, an excellent recommendation algorithm to help you find TV shows and movies that you'll love, and the capability to create different user accounts along with parental controls. The main drawbacks are streaming quality and having to wait for new seasons of current hit TV shows.

For more information, check out the Netflix reviews from real customers below. Netflix consistently receives high ratings from the people who use its service.

Danielle

November 29th, 2017 Syracuse, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Netflix has been the best thing for my family. we love the variety it brings into our home. The price is so reasonable. You cant afford to NOT have Netflix.

Raquel

November 29th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love how Netflix gives you previews to what you are watching.

Alex Rogerson

November 29th, 2017 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best $10 I spend every month. We don't use cable TV anymore because Netflix offers so much. I love their original series as well! I wish I was given a heads up when the shows are more 'R' rated, but other than that, I love it.

Nicole Cardwell

November 21st, 2017 West Jordan, UT

Netflix originals are what keeps me coming back. If Netflix had a reward system that would keep and attract more customers, that would also be great.

Paxon Fischer

November 20th, 2017 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great original content at a good price. I don't know why I would ever do cable with service like this.

Nichole Davidson

November 13th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

No brainer. Great value for your money, wide selection, good genre breakdown and good original content. Doesn't everyone have Netflix? I only wish that Netflix had an option to watch a trailer so it would be easier to decide on what to watch. Service is inexpensive, but you can easily cancel service if needed.

Luke Gibson

November 12th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don't watch a wide range of shows, but for those I do, Netflix provides a wonderful service. Their site functionality is crisp and easy to use, the interface consistently keeps my most-watched shows easy to find, and the streaming is almost always high-quality. The price is excellent for the service, my only complaint is that sometimes shows are removed without any warning: if Netflix gave a couple weeks of warning, then we could finish them before we were suddenly cut off.

Richard Westover

November 11th, 2017 Fremont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have found Netflix a good alternative to having TV / Cable service. We recently moved (5 months ago) and decide to see if we can live without it since it is so expensive. Using Netflix we have been able to watch some TV shows we enough, recent movie releases a long with some older movies we have enjoyed. We have been able to catch up some of TV shows we missed last year. We are just starting to look at some of the Netflix show to see if any match our taste in TV shows. We have NO issues with the service delivery or performance, which has been a pleasant surprise.

Katelyn Empey

November 9th, 2017 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Netflix and the options they offer. I wish there was availability of some shows that I have to stream straight from my cable which is unfortunate. But there is always something I can find to watch.

Sandi Westover

November 9th, 2017 Fremont, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had Netflix for several years now. At first I really liked it but now it's just so-so. I mainly like to watch movies. Maybe for TV shows it's different. But their selection of movies doesn't change enough. When you log in and look at different categories in your account it seems to show the same list of movies under each category. They don't have enough new movies under new releases. I rarely use it anymore but I have a family account so I still have it. For about $13 a month we have 5 users. My kids living away from home are on my account. We use the same log in but then each person has their own sub-account. It's nice so each person can save their preferences. I think some of my kids use it more to watch TV shows. I wish they would add more recent movies.

Maranda J Hilton

November 9th, 2017 Bountiful, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Netflix! They have tons of new content all the time, and it's very easy to access and use. Great service.

Vanessa Call

November 8th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been using Netflix for years, and overall am very happy with the product. I understand the need to increase prices periodically and to remove content for new content. My one complaint is that on the new Apple TV there is not an easy way to have a 'watch list' any longer. I constantly have to go search fro what I am looking for, vs going to my watch list and seeing what I would like to see. Otherwise, it's a great product at a great price!

Sandy Sutton

November 8th, 2017 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Perfect family gift we gave to ourselves! Very easy to access and understand.

Katelyn Petersen

November 8th, 2017 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Netflix on the daily! They always have great things to watch and have a huge selection!

Kristen Westover

November 8th, 2017 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Netflix is a great streaming program. I love that you can now download certain movies/shows to your device. I do wish there were a few more movies/TV shows available, but it is good.

Sara

November 8th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Stranger Things and Gilmore Girls were/are fantastic. That's about it.

Hayley Lambdin

November 6th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Netflix is my life. I love that you can add multiple people on accounts. I love that you can watch a whole series in a day. I love that they have Netflix original series. I love that there are no commercials.

Rachel Fagan

November 6th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Netflix is great because there are no annoying advertisements or anything. You can watch anything you want an unlimited amount of times.

Alex Murphy

November 6th, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Netflix has a great variety of shows and movies. It is the most convenient way to watch TV and is great for binge watching TV series. In the past, Netflix had much better movies, but it seems like they are moving away from popular movies.

Abbey Richards

November 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Netflix. I watch it everyday. I wish they had a wider selection, but right now it really has all I need. I usually watch TV shows on it because their movie selection is not very large.

Darrell

November 6th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love their streaming service. For $10 a month, they offer just enough to keep me interested. Their movie selection is abysmal, but the TV shows and documentaries are enough to keep me subscribed.

Megan

November 5th, 2017 Coalville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like Netflix and it has become my main TV viewing option. I do feel like they have a lot of random things on it that I don't know if anyone watches which is annoying but outside of that, it's great!

Dale Zollinger

November 5th, 2017 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love how easy thus service is. And how convenient it is.

Brooke

November 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Netflix. They always have great options to choose from. And Stanger Things!!!!!!

Derek Heiner

November 4th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Netflix has a lot of good show/movies on it but there are also a lot of really weird shows on there. I wish they had a lot more familiar content on there, or shows that I've heard of. Other than that I really like Netflix.

ousawvh2

November 1st, 2017 Leesburg, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Netflix is great for watching TV series and older movies. My biggest complaint about Netflix is I wished they would negotiate an agreement to stream recently released movies instead of me having to visit a Redbox to get a DVD or Blueray.

Stevie

October 30th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love the convenience of great shows on my phone. It helps the time go by fast on the cardio machines at the gym. I like their original shows, but wish they would have "TV rules" for profanity, nudity and sex, they don't and they take full advantage of it. Sad.

Steve

October 30th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company with progressive ideas, programs are on point, menu is easy compared to Hulu which is terrible. Original content is great.

Michele Gledhill

October 30th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like Netflix. The buffering can get annoying sometimes. I also think the search could be more user friendly.

Pete

October 26th, 2017 Centerville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Netflix is the best. I love the wide variety of shows it has and some of the originals are amazing. Just the fact that it has all seasons of The Office and New Girl make it worth it. Also being able to watch shows from my phone or computer is a life saver. Definitely worth the money.

Lindsey Andersen

October 26th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love being able to binge-watch my shows and enjoy some movies! I just wish they had more selection.

Carilee Wilson

October 26th, 2017 Roy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love the opportunity to watch what you are interested in and also the cost for being able to do so.

Hyrum

October 26th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great content. No commercials. I like that you can binge things and that their original content is released all at once. Only negative is that the things I like tend to migrate to another service. Wish they were the same quality they were before.

Breanna Jones

June 14th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Netflix is great. I have only had trouble streaming a couple times. I am happy with the tv selection on Netflix but I think the movie selection could be better. A lot of movies I want to watch are never on Netflix. I wish more movies could be added.

Doyal Stewart

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Netflix has been a great alternative to cable. It is affordable, and gives endless hours of entertainment. They could do better with their western selection, but I really do enjoy a lot of the options they have.

Susan Stewart

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I absolutely love Netflix and don't really know anyone who doesn't. It takes up so much of my time because they always have so many great movies and tv shows I love. I have found so many great shows I didn't even know about just browsing through Netflix. While it is a huge time waster, I just love it.

Lindsay H.

June 10th, 2017 Draper, UT

Netflix has a decent selection of TV shows, however their movie selection is slim, and it takes quite a while for them to add new release movies or television shows.

Kory Staheli

June 10th, 2017

Netflix is great. They have a wide variety of movies and television series available and they are adding more all the time. I also like that they have made it much easier to search for what you want than it used to be. That is a big improvement.

Julie Firkins

June 10th, 2017 Orem, UT

i have had netflix for several years, one of the things i love is i can watch it everywhere! i have the app on my phone and tablet so when im stuck waiting i can catch a fun show, the cost is reasonable the variety is great,

Erin St Pierre

June 9th, 2017

Life consuming fun. I love it. The only problem is I am so busy watching movies that I get absolutely nothing else done. Everyone should try Netflix.

Mark

June 9th, 2017

Since we don't have cable (ie: we don't want to pay for cable), Netflix is usually our source for movies and TV viewing. We appreciate the wide variety of genre, particularly children and family rated shows, and being able to filter by rating. One downside is having to wait for each year's series to be available for viewing.

Kyler Ashby

June 7th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

Netflix is one of my main sources of entertainment and I'm happy to say that Netflix always delivers. Though it may not be as "on-demand" as other providers, it's always expanding and updating its library of shows and movies. It's also helpful that the user interface is incredibly easy as well. Of all the streaming services I have used I can honestly say Netflix is by and large the best.

Alec Dover

June 6th, 2017

What a great product! Affordable, great variety and very entertaining!

Kathryn Andrus

June 6th, 2017

I have no complaints with the function of Netflix. I hope the prices don't increase anymore. I enjoy the variety of shows and movies. I enjoy Netflix originals.

Blake Brockbank

June 6th, 2017

Loved the shows but it would be nice to have a little more of the popular shows

Laura Marshall

June 6th, 2017

Netflix is a great streaming site. They have a variety of shows and movies that appeal to all demographics. The website is user friendly and I love that each person on an account can't create their own page with personal preferences. A Netflix subscription is affordable and it is easy to change account settings.

Christopher Haueter

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I really enjoy Netflix. The options for TV series are really good and there is always something to watch. The movie selection isn't great but it is getting much better. I like that you can download for when you are traveling but I don't like that it doesn't seem to give me that option on my surface pro 3 which is both a laptop and a tablet. I can download things from my phone though which I guess is alright.

Maile Curtis

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Netflix is great! There are a lot of good shows to watch... also, there are a lot of random shows. Netflix always works great for me. I wish they would have more shows that I'm familiar with.

Jessica C.

June 2nd, 2017 Apex, NC

We've had Netflix for quite awhile and we really like it. We definitely get our money's worth from the amount that our kids watch it. I don't even know why we bother having any hard copies of movies because they would rather watch the shows Netflix has. They also much prefer using Netflix over Amazon, although Amazon and Netflix seem to flip-flop with who has certain shows, so we'll occasionally use Amazon more when the show they're into changes to them. I wish that there was a way to get rid of certain shows that show up on the kids' profiles, as of now I just have to tell them which ones they can watch and which ones they can't (last I checked there wasn't a way to do this, maybe this has changed). I feel like a lot of the adult selection is just trash, but we've found some good stuff here and there (and maybe that is more Hollywood than Netflix?).

Michael Lyman

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Netflix's quality has gone down over the past few years in my opinion. I really enjoyed that when Netflix came out that I was able to order movies and stream them. I did not like when they removed that and increased their prices. Overall since them increasing the price I have slowly faded away from Netflix. I prefer other streaming options. And the last straw was when they removed Scrubs from their library. Some of the best T.V. out there and its no longer in their library.