iTunes Logo

6.8

Apple created and launched iTunes in January of 2001, allowing users to listen to music anywhere on their Apple devices. iTunes became a noteworthy addition to the streaming industry as Apple added streaming movie and TV through iTunes and Apple TV. iTunes is now more than just a music player or a podcast app. This plunge into the television streaming space adds to the many unplugged streaming entertainment options.

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• Ad-free
  • No subscription
  • One place for all content

One Place for Music, Movies, TV, and Pictures

iTunes allows users to have access to all of their Apple content (music, movies, TV, video, and pictures) in one place, the iTunes library. This is a unique feature in the streaming TV industry. It's an added convenience to customers to have all of their content in one place.

Apple TV Integration

For $99 users can purchase Apple TV, a streaming device that syncs with other Apple devices and allows users to watch their favorite shows and movies from their TV and other Apple devices.

Parental Controls and Ad-Free

Users are able to watch movies ad-free and have parental controls for movies, giving flexibility for family viewing.

Great Mobile App

Apple has created a great iTunes app for its users that's available in the app store. The overall user experience is great and users give the iTunes mobile app a rating of over 4 stars.

No Monthly Fee

iTunes users don't pay a monthly fee to use iTunes.  Users simply pay per rental or purchase. Overall, iTunes is a great entertainment platform where users can access music and pictures, and stream TV and movies.  Users are able to watch movies ad-free and have access to parental controls while watching. And with a large library of over 2,000 TV series and over 20,500 movies to choose from, users have a great selection.

The Bad

• More expensive
  • Apple products exclusively
  • No free library

More Expensive Than Others

TV episodes and movies can be a little pricier to rent on iTunes.  Rentals start around $3.99 for movies and $2.99 for new TV episodes.

Only Works with Apple Products

Even though iTunes provides syncing with all of your other Apple products, they are closed off to other common devices (like those using Android).

New Releases Only Available for Purchase

iTunes has a large library to choose from, but new releases are only available to purchase, not rent.  Whereas Amazon Prime allows its customers the option of purchase or rental.

Apple TV Restrictions

With Apple TV, users can't play DVD's, CD's, or do any kind of recording of their favorite TV shows. Also, no cables come with the purchase of an Apple TV and will need to be purchased separately.

No Free Library

With iTunes users pay per rental or purchase.  There is no library of free movies and TV for users to access.  This is mainly due to the fact that users do not pay a monthly fee. Although iTunes has many great features to their services, there are some drawbacks to consider.  The main drawback to iTunes is that if you aren't an Apple user than Apple TV and iTunes isn't even an option for you.  iTunes only works for Apple devices. In addition, iTunes doesn't have a library of free movies and TV series to watch.

The Bottom Line

If you currently use a variety of Apple products, then iTunes will give you the convenience of having all of your digital needs met at the click of a button, along with the other perks that being an Apple user brings. However, if you use any other device besides Apple, iTunes isn't even an option for you. Also, note that iTunes is not a monthly subscription streaming TV service.  If you are looking for a large library of movies and TV to watch at any time, iTunes isn't the best fit for you.  But if you are just looking for one-off rentals or purchases, and you are an Apple user, then iTunes is a great option to consider.

For more information, check out the iTunes reviews below.

jim krapf Hackensack, NJ

Solid movie rental prices along with great rewards for repeat customers

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

iTunes has been a source of music organization for me for years. I like how easy they make it to order.

Frederline Jean-Philippe Tallahassee, FL

Needs better prices! Everything costs money. Need more variety but love it lots!!

Kajsa Kirby Denver, CO

I love iTunes! It has a very large variety to select from for movies and shows. I love how you can view ratings and trailers. I also love how easy it is to download and watch on planes or while traveling, you can connect it to your smart tv, computer, tablet, or phone it's incredible!

Judy Feldmeier Houston, TX

Really enjoy iTunes! It’s easy to find your music on your library, you can watch movies, listen to podcasts.

Ladyjojo

Watch iTunes movies and TV shows on Apple TV With the iTunes Movies and TV Shows apps, the latest movies and hit TV shows are always available.

Alexander Johnson Burbank, CA

Honestly never was much of a fan. I bought a movie and three albums and one day all of them disappeared and I have never been able to retrieve them again.

Brandon San Diego, CA

A simple service that gets you access you a large variety of music, TV shows, and movies. Easy set up that allows anyone to access the service.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

The last software update Apple released changed iTunes into many sectors such as iMovie and others, making it hard to know where all your purchased content is. Also, download times are very long.

Myken American Fork, UT

We got a free trial of iTunes movies but it’s very difficult to stream if you don’t have an Apple TV. I don’t like that we’re unable to stream it with our Google Chromecast or Firestick. I feel like it forces you to watch programs on your phone or buy an Apple TV.

kaylee Salt Lake City, UT

Everything runs very smoothly. Technology works great. I do wish it was a little bit easier to stream without internet.

Seth Boudoin ,

Great for downloading my favorite television shows and watching in any comfortable situation on my phone.

DeeDee G. Dallas, TX

Great service for buying digital movies. Only thing is that some of the movies I wanted to buy was not on the platform! Overall, service is great had not troubles watching bought movies

Dwhoush New Orleans, LA

iTunes synced together so seamlessly across all my devices so it’s very easy to use. If I made a mistake in ordering a Tv show or movie, they do refund it. They are always updating it as well so it stays current. It’s nice to have.

hmarashi Newark, NJ

itunes has a surprising surplus of movie and TV titles to select from, a very good program.

take7 Sandy, UT

Great for on the road. Downloading movies and shows and taking it with you. Hate that it's apple specific but we only own ipads and iphones so it's not a problem just a limitation. Works well and great quality.

Nick Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

We have been loyal Apple customers for a long time and have compiled quite the collection of movies and music through iTunes. Our AppleTV is a great way to enjoy our previous purchases as well as to access our other streaming services. I love that you can search the app library and download just about any app to the AppleTV!

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

While i completely hate Apple Music, I love iTunes for my TV shows. Since there are shows across all networks, there isn’t anywhere to pick and choose my shows and keep them all together. With iTunes, I have purchased box sets to stream including shows like Gilligans Island, The Office, Seinfeld, Ash Vs Evil Dead, The X-files. I love being able to take my favorite TV shows and keep them all in one centralized service.

Logan Hudson Norcross, GA

Itunes has great content for a relatively good price. All of the mew movies, music, and Tv shows are provided. Even though you have to purchase them. The updates provide smoother access through the menus and make the experience better.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

iTunes is the gold standard of internet tv streaming. With great titles and a variety of content, this service lets you drop traditional cable tv services. I love the cost structure and ease of use.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

iTunes is not my favorite way of streaming videos because the pricing is high and there are never free shows listed that are worth watching.

Kaitlyn McBride Ogden, UT

Always easy to find the content I’m trying to access and find recommendations for new content

AmyConder22 Eagle Mountain, UT

iTunes is a great streaming place. I love that you can get all the current tv shows on there

Amanda Montebello, CA

I like to download and purchase movies from ITunes when they aren’t offered on my streaming services.

Luna Rockville, MD

Apple gave me a free one-year membership for iTunes. It's similar to all of the other movie apps. I enjoyed the app!

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

iTunes is one of the ways I have started switching to Digital content vs. physical copies. It helps to save room and to keep from collecting dust with movies an CDs for sure! Though I use mostly streaming services now, I still check up on my iTunes collection (though it is small) from time-to-time! Plus iTunes Match helps keep everything on all of my digital devices!

Jacob American Fork, UT

iTunes was great when it first came out. Now, especially with streaming services, the user interface is lacking and it can be difficult to sync up devices and storage without losing everything entirely.

Todd Homitz Evans City, PA

Great library of show and movies and great quality. I've been using iTunes for several years and never have had a issue.

Alex Shirley Pleasant Grove, UT

I love itunes. It is a very enjoyable app to use. It is easy to use and has a good display and easy access to find what you are looking for.

Bethany Simko Pleasant Grove, UT

I love iTunes! I just recently got an iPhone and have enjoyed this streaming service. The Unser interface is convenient.

Aliza Henline Provo, UT

I feel like streaming is so normal these days- itunes is almost unnecessary. But I love how many music videos and random interviews there are on itunes. It almost feels like its own type of genre.

Linda Clark Gilbert, AZ

Great product and app. Works well. Always have what I’m looking for. Sometimes it is expensive.

sydney clark Gilbert, AZ

apple anything slaps. it’s amazing. unreal. impeccable. so much creativity and i love it.

Cameron Clark Provo, UT

It's tough to match Apple's streaming content and producer relationships. I really love watching/listening!

Chad Carman American Fork, UT

ITunes is fantastic when it comes to buying movies. The price may be expensive, but the quality of the video is great.

Sydney Boren American Fork, UT

Itunes has a great variety of music and shows. I am always able to find entertainment through this service.

Rob Lundquist Alpine, UT

Great service and easy to use. Being able to get great selections anywhere I go is so convenient.

Jeff Stewart Saint George, UT

I own so many apple products and I feel that for some reason iTunes is not user friendly. Content is good.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

Not a huge fan of iTunes. It was great for awhile, but its frustrating that it isnt compatible with all of my devices.

Stephen South Jordan, UT

I love all things Apple. I have basically one of every device and I pay for the monthly cloud service that keeps everything linked.

Elliott Detien Draper, UT

I am satisfied. After major IOS updates, some kinks in the software needs to be ironed out but it is an excellent platform.

Ellen Morris Potomac, MD

I am a very loyal apple user and so I love renting movies or buying movies on itunes. It is so easy to use and is never a complicated experience. I am loyal to a few movie series as well and I love that these are often offered as bundles as well.

Monica Bertha Encinitas, CA

I love iTunes and I use it everyday but the only thing is I bought so much before iCloud became a thing and it was real money but I don’t have any of those shows and movies anymore and that’s bummer..

Ashlyn Cann Alpine, UT

I tunes has almost everything that you could every look for. It is very convenient.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

I think that it is easy to use but it is expensive for what you get. We discontinued because we were using others for a better price.

Tony Gibson American Fork, UT

I have always really enjoyed using iTunes for my library, especially since my I have so many Apple products. It does feel like there are updates constantly, which starts to get a little bit old and I don't use the iCloud but they keep sending me stuff for that whether I want it or not. I don't see myself moving away from iTunes anytime soon.

Cynthia Carman American Fork, UT

ITunes is so reliable and I love how fast it works! I have over 1000 things bought from iTunes and I don't regret it!

Don Boren American Fork, UT

they have a good variety of music, TV, and movies. I use it mostly for music downloads

Barry Henline Logan, UT

Love the selection of streaming media. User friendly and perfect for those of us that don't do as well with technology.

Amy Decker Bloomington, IN

We’ve been iTunes customers for as long as they’ve been around. Absolutely love the service, as well as the selection. They’ve done a great job at being competitive in offering more selection, as well as new ways of streaming music.