HBO Now is a stand-alone TV streaming service for people who do not currently pay for cable TV. This is different from HBO Go which is included with a cable TV subscription. Subscribers to HBO Now have unlimited access to all of HBO's content at any time from anywhere. It provides higher quality movies and TV without a cable TV contract.

#1 Netflix chevron_right
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• High Quality Movies and TV Series
  • Parental Controls
  • Variety of Devices Available
  • HBO Original Series

High Quality Movies and TV Series

HBO has done a great job of making their past and present content available online. HBO Now currently has over 650 high-quality movies and almost 100 TV series. In addition to an on-demand library of content, HBO Now gives you access to stream live episodes and watch big premieres as they air on TV. Some of HBO's most popular content includes: Big Little Lies, Game of Thrones, and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Parental Controls

Parents have the ability to filter new releases, but there are some bugs editing out some of the older television shows and movies.

Variety of Devices Available

HBO Now is available on the following devices:

• iPad
  • iPhone (iOS app)
  • Apple TV
  • Android phones and tablets
  • Android TV
  • Amazon Fire tablets
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick
  • Web Browser (HBONow.com)
  • Google Chromecast
  • Roku
  • Play Station Four
  • Xbox One

HBO Original Series

In addition to licensed content, HBO Now also has several highly ranked original series. HBO Now has over 125 original series for subscribers to enjoy. These series are exclusive to HBO and will not be available through any other streaming tv service. Overall, HBO Now is a great alternative for someone interested in HBO content but doesn't want to subscribe to cable. It can be streamed on a wide variety of devices and is reasonably priced for high-quality content. Subscribers have unlimited access to all of HBO anywhere (not including all live TV) without a TV provider contract.

The Bad

• Price
  • Library Selection and Variety
  • Streaming Issues

Price

HBO Now costs $14.99 per month. This is a little more expensive than other streaming services, but HBO Now offers high quality of movies and TV series.

Library Selection and Variety

With HBO Now, subscribers are only going to get access to HBO-driven content. HBO Now doesn't offer the same high volume as other streaming services like Netflix or Hulu. However, they do offer over 650 movies and almost 100 TV series to choose from.

Streaming Issues

HBO Now is known to have streaming issues at peak times. In some cases, users may have to restart the app, their device, or even uninstall and reinstall the app altogether.

Customer Reviews

HBO Now reviews from customers often report that they had a difficult time canceling their service. Some even say that they got charged for their free trial and that HBO's customer service wasn't helpful in resolving the issue. Other reviewers complain that HBO Now often stops to buffer when you are watching a show.

The Bottom Line

If you don't have a current HBO subscription, and you want access to a great deal of HBO content, HBO Now is a great option to satisfy that need. HBO Now is a great way to extend your current cable subscription if you want to drop HBO from your current cable provider. Also, HBO Now can be streamed on a large variety of devices, but the services are not the most competitive if you are looking for a large library of movie options. Though HBO does feature some content that it seems like everyone's talking about, the poor customer reviews speak for themselves. For more information, read some HBO Now customer reviews below. We recommend reviewing the top rated companies before making a final decision.

1.9
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

Do Not Subscribe!
November 5th, 2019 Bellevue, WA DETAILS

I wish i had more than 40 characters to describe my nightmare experience in trying to cancel my subscription with HBONow. This company scams your money. Do not sign up. They make it nearly impossible to cancel. In my case, 2 accounts were made accidentally due to glitches and error pages on their end. It’s been 8 months and I’ve had to call multiple times to cancel and they will not refund my money even though I’ve never used the subscription because I didn’t know an account was actually created. They tell you to take it up with your credit card company instead of taking responsibility for their fraudulent ways. After 8 months, I’m still dealing with them charging me after they tell me they’ve canceled my subscription. I’m furious and want to start a class action lawsuit especially considering most everyone else has gone through the same thing!

Wanda
October 7th, 2019 Davenport, FL DETAILS

Signed up for the free trial and could never connect. That was until they billed me for the month. Signed in and cancelled and they did not give me a full month of service, just 14 days. Signed up because I wanted to see Bohemian Rapsody. Tried to see the video 3 different days now and haven't been able to connect. What a waste!

Don Boren
October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

HBO has the best content on TV. Shows like Chernobyl, Game of Thrones, and Silicon Valley. Veep was one of the greatest comedies of all time! Streams fast without any problems with lag or buffering. Great service.

Thiago Leite Nicoluci
September 4th, 2019 Rockaway, NJ DETAILS

Signed up for the 7 day free trial and got charged. Found out I was not eligible. So, how come they offer me something I cannot get? And when I signed up, how come they did not alert me I was not eligible? At the end, they are charging me for a free trial (that is the name of the product) that I cannot buy. MISLEADING !!!!!!!!!

Ashley
August 30th, 2019 Memphis, TN DETAILS

Don't do it. Just don't. I signed up for the free trial, just to find out it's not compatible with my device. Tried to cancel, the mobile option didn't work (it was glitching), and I could not get in touch with a rep on the phone before the trial period, so they stole $17 from me. They "escalate" your case, but the process is a lie, and they deny 100% of cases. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!! TIP: If they robbed you too, file a dispute with your bank as a fraudulent charge and get your cash back. They are ruthless thieves who make millions doing this to innocent people.

Matthew Atwood
August 1st, 2019 West Warwick, RI DETAILS

I think it's a total rip off and I won't pay them anymore always the same garbage no new movies!

Leonora
August 1st, 2019 McHenry, IL DETAILS

I paid for a month of HBO Now so I could watch a mini-series for a school assignment. I thought I had closed the account and was not using it. I got charged again and when I contacted the company the day after the charge to request a refund, as I was not using the account, I was refused. This is a terrible policy. You can see that I have not touched the account in literally a month, yet the day after you take my payment, you won't refund me? That's absurd. I absolutely will not be using this service again.

Monroe
July 29th, 2019 Bryan, TX DETAILS

HBO is no longer the Home Box Office! It is now nothing more than a biased political platform. The movie choices are becoming slim, while Bill Maher and other political shows are taking over. I wish they would go back to showing movies!!!!!!!!!!!

Mariana
July 25th, 2019 Grand Blanc, MI DETAILS

I followed the instructions to cancel my HBO Now sub through my PC. I went to 'billing information' and it said my sub would end by the end of the month unless auto-renew was turned on. I had auto-renew OFF and was unable to access any shows after such date, therefore I thought my sub was cancelled. I continued to be billed. I had to call support and they finally cancelled my sub. The support person couldn't explain to me why my account stated auto-renew was off and I was still being billed. She stated she would have support email me about the issue since she did not deal with those issues. I never got an email. I had to email them about the problem only for a guy named Greg to tell me they have a no refund policy. My account stated auto-renew was off....my sub should have been cancelled but apparently it doesn't matter and they billed me anyway. I don't recommend HBO Now to anyone.

not putting my name
July 25th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS

When I watch it on my fire stick it pauses every second. Don't get me wrong it has amazing movies and shows, but the network is just really slow I've never seen a network stop so may times during a movie. I personally don't even think it deserves 1 star it deserves no stars.

Jade S
July 16th, 2019 Midlothian, VA

bad customer service.I signed on thinking the show was on there but it was on CBS.I worked a lot so forgot to call to cancel free trial .i cancelled it 2 days late and they refused to refund .I agree with the 2 stars

Jesse
July 8th, 2019 Marysville, WA DETAILS

This company deserves negative stars. I just found that I've been double charged since last September for the same account, under the same email, by HBO Now and HBO.

matthew
July 1st, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

HBO is awesome i love watching Game of Thrones on it and a lot of there other shows and movies are pretty good also. wish it wasnt so expensive but it is well worth the cost to watch Game of Thrones.

Cassy
June 25th, 2019 Newport News, VA DETAILS

I cancelled and was charged the renewal anyway..HBO says no refund policy regardless.... They do not care...they nonchalantly take your money with no remorse... It is a scam and they are horrible customer service...manager was the worst!!!! I am fighting the charge along with my bank which is unfortunate... Please report these scammers to the BBB..so they can shut them down..They got me, but I will not rest until I stop them from this slick way of getting your money...and they do it boldly!!

gross
June 25th, 2019 New Orleans, LA DETAILS

They give a free trial and say cancel at anytime. You cancel before the time is up and they still charge you.

Stevejohn
June 18th, 2019 Navarre, FL DETAILS

I had an error trying to enroll my email for an HBO Now subscription, I tried my other email account and it worked. I ended up getting charged for both accounts using the same Credit Card. I immediately contact HBO and was told to bad all sales are final and to bad. They acknowledged it was a an error, but still said sorry. Won't be making a mistake getting HBO again....

KC
June 18th, 2019 Buffalo Grove, IL DETAILS

The HBO Now is ruining the HBO brand. It was a nightmare to cancel the service. According to HBO Now, I was supposed to be able to turn off the auto renewal toggle. For at least 2 months, the service was not cancelled even I turned off the auto renewal. When the service continued this month, I called and they recognized there was a problem but they were not sure why that happened. They manually cancelled my service but refused to refund my payment despite it was only a few days past the supposed expiration date citing non refund policy. I escalated the situation to the supervisor and he was not willing to help citing company policy. This is a classic example when a company has a great product that people love but a poor customer service (policy or otherwise) could simply ruin it. The lesson is never use HBO now if you do want HBO. Go through other channel, eg. Apple/Amazon, who has much better system and customer service.

Sara
June 18th, 2019 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

HBO Now has a no refund policy even when they make mistakes on their end. I signed up with an email for a free trial and my email did not work because an error page popped up and I could not login to the account I thought I had created. As a result, I decided not to move forward with the free trial but 10 days later my bank account was charged for the monthly subscription fee. I called customer service for a refund considering I hadn't been able to use the account since it gave me an error page and they were unwilling to give me a refund.

Amanda M
June 14th, 2019 Delta, CO DETAILS

It is horrible, constantly buffers and causes issues, it is extremely frustrating trying to watch an episode. I watch prime on the same device and never have these issues. Absolutely not worth $14.99 a month!

Marissa
June 10th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN

I do not like HBO. The shows they have are all raunchy and absolutely not a service I'd be interested in using again.

Anabella
June 7th, 2019 Aurora, CO DETAILS

They have a no refund policy when canceling service. I cancel my service a day after payment was processed and they refused to refund saying they have a strict no refund policy, yet their terms and conditions are not clear and sate they don’t give refunds if cancel mid month, so i questioned them saying I cancel my service at the beginning of the month therefor I should be able to get my refund, but they never responded to my inquiries.

Ciera
May 31st, 2019 Ashburn, VA

I started my trial and soon ended the subscription BEFORE my trial ended.(which states that they won’t charge you if you cancel it before the trial end date). I STILL got charged $14.99 even though I ended my trial session before the date. I’ve called customer service several times to get a refund and they keep saying I’ll get an email if I’ll get approved for a refund or not. This is ridiculous. I’ll never make an account with HBO again. Poor customer service that doesn’t know what they’re doing. Be aware if you sign up for this trial session because they will still possibly charge you.

Jake
May 31st, 2019 Bountiful, UT DETAILS

I was charged $16.01 before my free trial was even finished. I guess they have a no refund policy as well. It's unbelievable! I was planning on terminating my subscription before I was charged but I guess they charge you even before you trial is finished.

Annoymous
May 31st, 2019 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS

Pretty much the same bad experience as everyone else. I started a free trial and then cancelled my subscription, I was charged for 3 months since that date. I didn't receive a cancellation email, the toggle button doesn't work on the HBONow website, it said my subscription was cancelled but it turns out that wasn't the case. Also, on their website it says you can cancel at anytime but that's a bunch of crap! You have to jump through hoops just to get your subscription cancelled. They do not offer refunds or take the blame for their faulty website! I was taken advantage of by a greedy company. I've contacted my credit card issuer to dispute the charges!

Wendy
May 31st, 2019 Reno, NV DETAILS

Hbo Now is the only company or person to get my debit card details. 1-2 days after cancelling my subscription I get a notice from my bank that someone has my card details, but not the expiration date and are trying to purchase $200-300 worth of catering. The card was cancelled and reported stolen after this fraudulent activity was reported to me by the bank. I’ve worked in call centers and know that the CC/debit number stay on file, but not the expiration and/or the 3 digit security code. Basically for this exact reason! So greedy agents can’t get away with full on identity fraud! Also call center managers sometimes like to ‘treat’ their agents by buying them all dinner/lunch. The ones I’ve worked for never used a customers card details though... Pure shameful on HBONOWs part, as a whole allowinng this to happen, not once but TWICE! Again HBONOW is the only company or person to have my card details and this happened 1-2days after I cancel my subscription! So now I wait for a new debit card having to go into a bank for any money withdrawals/deposits and this has hindered our lifestyle. Just for one greedy agent trying to get $270.94 worth of Papa Johns and then try again for $288.57 worth of EZCATER Harleys. This is the type of people they hire to handle your personal details. Never again will I give any details to this fraudulent company and I recommend no one else do it either. Find another streaming source. It’s not worth it.

Debbie bilderback
May 22nd, 2019 Evansville, IN DETAILS

Cost is way to much You don’t have enough of a verity for me now with game of thrones. Done I have canceled

Ashley
May 20th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We love our HBO App with our Smart TV. We have DIRECTV so we get HBO for free with our AT&T. But even if we didn’t get it for free we would pay $14.99 for it because we are addicted to Game of Thrones and that is probably the main reason we love it so much!!! Try it out you will love it too!

Connor
May 16th, 2019 Owatonna, MN DETAILS

I wanted to cancel my free trial days in advance, but you HAVE to do it on the computer. You can't do it on the app, or online on your phone. This is evil since it forces me to race against time and get back to my computer across the state. It's ridiculously ludacris.

Ashin
May 13th, 2019 Falls Church, VA DETAILS

HBO Now has a policy of no refund, which I think is alright. In my case I registered with my email address and credit card, but I was not able to login. Thinking the registration didn’t go through, I registered again with the same email address and credit card and this time it worked. Later it was noticed that I have been billed twice for the same period and when contacted the customer service, got to know that there was a typo in the email address used for initial registration. Even after identifying the issue, what the customer service executive could do was to repeatedly say “HBO Now” has a no refund policy”. From company’s stand point what he did would be right. But as a customer I feel cheated by billing from same credit card for the same period for the same service and not giving a refund.

Lee
May 2nd, 2019 Lansing, MI DETAILS

You can't watch anything because it just buffers. Their solution is to blame you. It's hot garbage and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Customer
April 29th, 2019 Wilmore, KY DETAILS

I was charged $14.99 two times, one through Amazon HBO that I subscribed and the other through HBO Now that I don't remember subscribing. Regardless, I never used HBO Now or accessed it since I have access through Amazon HBO prime. As soon as I saw the pending charge of $14.99, I contacted HBO Now customer service. I was told that they have a no-refund policy. I asked them how could that be a "refund" since I did not access at all in the first place (another customer representative confirmed that they know that I never accessed. They can look it up). Even then, they are unwilling to refund. I sent them an email but no positive result. This is unacceptable.

Brian Gebhard
April 29th, 2019 Rochester, NY DETAILS

Complete trash service.. HBO has great content but I cannot enjoy it when I literally have to pause to buffer every 20 seconds. This does not happen on Netflix hulu or amazon..better up your game HBO or I will cancel the second GOT is done..

Debora Gonzalez
April 25th, 2019 Alpharetta, GA DETAILS

When I created my trial account I put a wrong letter in my email so I didn’t receive the welcome email. After that I called to customer services where they supposedly fix that but they created another account for me with my right email. A week later I figured out that I have two charges in my account so I call again but I didn’t receive any solution. Finally I have two active 👌🏻account

Michael Stewart
April 25th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

At $16 a month I find it baffling how awful HBO has become. I've been subscribed (to watch GoT) for less than a WEEK, and already have had countless problems. From server issues on their end. To their un-intuitive website and player that doesn't resume where you left off during your show. The quality drops and often buffers. You can't jump around with the arrow keys (small, but something every other video player has had for a decade, now). And let's not forget about the ads that play before anything you watch. Even with the highest price of ANY streaming platform, I'm still paying for ads? It's unbelievable how poorly run HBO's streaming operation is, and it's no surprise they're getting slaughtered by Netflix and Hulu. Find GoT somewhere else online for free. Even that isn't worth watching on this God awful website.

Cory
April 23rd, 2019 Bristol, VA DETAILS

Without my consent, I was charged 14.99 before my free trial ended.. Don’t mind paying for service I use but I was charged before I had the money on my account to cover it so that entails overdraft fees.

Caitlyn
April 22nd, 2019 Saint Albans, ME

I just signed up for a free trial in the hopes of being able to watch Game of Thrones (since they refuse to stream it on Netflix). However, once I started watching the show, the buffering was terrible. I can hardly get 1 minute into the show, as it pauses to buffer every 5 seconds or more. It isn’t my WiFi connection either, since Netflix was working perfectly fine right before I switched over to try HBO. They need to make it available on Netflix/Prime because it is unwatchable on this website. I recommend not wasting your money on this program.

Joseph M Mueller
April 18th, 2019 Bellingham, WA DETAILS

Canceled my subscription 3 weeks before the auto-renew and I still got charged. They wrote an email that basically said, "yep, we see you cancelled your membership, but no refunds". They are thieves. PLEASE will a lawyer start a class action lawsuit.

Darren Reef
April 18th, 2019 Shelbyville, MI DETAILS

Horrible company! I tried it on a free trial. I cancelled my order two days before the trail ended and they billed my card despite me cancelling in time. Made sure that auto renew was turned off and received a email stating I had done so and was billed again yet this month. After calling to complain I was told per there agreement there are no refunds so even though I cancel they bill me for services I don't use? WTF kind of way is that to run a business.

Mallory
April 17th, 2019 Dayton, OH DETAILS

Beware! The free trial has to be cancelled pretty much the day before or they rope you into another month. I tried cancelling on the day and they charged me. Upon receiving the cancellation it said it would end 2 months from when I cancelled, billing me in between. When emailing them, they said I had no attempts to cancel and do not offer refunds. So deceptive. They make it ridiculously hard to cancel as well. Have to do it from a desktop or tablet. Would highly not recommend.

Jeff
April 12th, 2019 Trumansburg, NY DETAILS

Buffers constantly. We have 100Mbps download speed and still buffers. Limited selection of recent movies. Suffer through for Game of Thrones and cancel. Surprisingly poor service. All the “help” they provide is having you fix things on your end. It’s never HBO’s problem. They should just partner with Netflix or Amazon for their streaming service.

Sam
April 12th, 2019 DETAILS

BEWARE of free trial. At the end of the month it said my subscription was expired and I had to renew to gain access to the shows YET 4 months later I was still being charged but without granted access to any shows the entire time. THIEVES we don't "do" refunds they say... THIEVES i say

Wladimir
April 10th, 2019 Greensboro, NC DETAILS

SO BAD, high Price, no big selection of shows, no CC in Spanish, no option to change the language, after follow american series productions in HBO Latino, now I can see my series in Spanish. It's SO BAD

B.V
April 5th, 2019 Fresno, CA

Used the free trial just to try the service out and went to log in and cancel it literally on the 7th day. Noticed that i had a charge on my account from HBO for 14.99 and contacted customer service about it. The rep did not want to refund and told me that I should've cancelled 1 hour before.. and that there was a strict "no refund policy". DON'T do the free trial with this company, they lie and take your money..

Winter
April 1st, 2019 Roanoke, VA DETAILS

Got a free trial, logged in to cancel the day before it was set to renew and had already been charged for another month. Contacted customer support and was advised I should've logged in 24 hours before and made sure it wouldn't renew, no refund policy in place, yada yada. (They renewed it 5 hours ago.) Customer rep had a difficult time understanding me but turns out I have HBO for another month and there's nothing I can do about it. WOULDN'T WASTE MY MONEY ON THIS SUBSCRIPTION.

John Keil
April 1st, 2019 Pittsburgh, PA DETAILS

They make it very hard to login. I pay for service but it is so difficult to login and watch it's not worth it. What a scam. They got my money though.

Terri Law
April 1st, 2019 DETAILS

Horrible experience. Never used the service due to the rendering speed or my wireless service. Cancelled the subscription before the trial ended, but was charged. I called to get a refund and verify my cancellation. They indicated they didn’t have a way to refund due to their policy. They sure have a way to take your money, but no way to refund it even if you never used their service. I would NEVER recommend this service to anyone.

Stephen Aranda
March 27th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

If you subscribe directly through HBO to order HBONow , they make it virtually impossible to cancel your subscription. It is very deceptive and clearly by design. I”m tech savvy and still couldn’t find a way to cancel without calling HBo directly. The operator indicated she has had several calls from people with the same issue. Very deceptive and antiquated business practice.

Mina
March 22nd, 2019 Milford, CT

Very poor customer service . Very difficult to cancel subscription

Kim Wallace
March 20th, 2019 Mableton, GA DETAILS

Horrible content. Over priced for the very few movies they have. The Leaving Neverland Documentary was pure garbage and I am not a Michael Jackson fan. Very one sided and the people in it are questionable. Just finished watching the documentary on Theranos and again, I think Elizabeth H is the worst of Silicon Valley scum, but again very one sided and they should have interviewed Elizabeth H for the program. HBO Now documentaries comes of like "People" magazine for TV....sensationalized garbage. In addition, when I went to cancel my HBO subscription, the "auto renew" button was not showing up in my settings. I had to call the customer service phone number three times. The first time the phone disconnected. The second time the connection was very bad and the third time I had to listen to the operator fumble with her head set and just about break my ear drum with the sound. They never did help with cancellation of the service as the third operator put me on hold and never came back. I wasted over one hour trying to cancel my subscription. I will be disputing HBO off my credit card as I gave it every effort to cancel my subscription to no avail.

Dave Wheeler
March 19th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

There is no customer service here. Caveat emptor. I signed up for a 7 day free trial which was to end on the 18th in the evening. I called to ensure it was cancelled on the morning of the 18th and they said they “ask” that you cancel 24 hours in advance to avoid being charged. They then informed me that they have a no refund policy so I got screwed out of 15 bucks. This free trial was solely to be a test run to make sure I would be able to watch game of thrones when it came out. Now I just got screwed out of 15 bucks and won’t be able to watch the new season. Thanks so much for being a garbage service HBO. Save your money and look elsewhere. HBO is a dead service as it is. Thanks for nothing.