HBO Now

HBO Now Logo

6.3

HBO Now

$15 Monthly Fees

HBO Now is a stand-alone streaming TV service for people who do not currently pay for cable TV (like Netflix and Amazon Prime). Subscribers have unlimited access to all of HBO's content at any time from anywhere. Now you can have higher quality movies without a cable TV contract.

The Good

• High quality movies and tv series
  • Variety of devices available
  • Many original series

High Demand Quality Content

HBO has done a great job of making their past and present content available online. HBO Now currently has over 650 high-quality movies and almost 100 TV series.

Parental Controls

Parents have the ability to filter new releases, but there are some bugs editing out some of the older television shows and movies.

Variety of Devices

HBO Now is available on the following devices: iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Android phones and tablets, Android TV, Amazon Fire tablets, TV, Fire Stick, web browser, Chromecast, and Roku.

Original Series

HBO Now has over 125 original series for subscribers to enjoy. These series are exclusive to HBO and will not be available through any other streaming tv service.

Overall, HBO Now is a great alternative for someone interested in HBO content. It can be streamed on a wide variety of devices and is reasonably priced for high-quality content. Subscribers have unlimited access to all of HBO anywhere without a TV provider contract.

The Bad

• Streaming issues
  • Higher price
  • Smaller library selection

Price

HBO Now costs $14.99. This is a little more expensive than other streaming services, but HBO Now offers high quality of movies and TV series.

Library Selection and Variety

With HBO Now, subscribers are only going to get access to HBO-driven content. HBO Now doesn't offer the same high volume as some of their competition. However, they do offer over 650 movies and almost 100 TV series to choose from.

Streaming Issues

HBO Now is known to have streaming issues at peak times. In some cases, users may have to restart the app, their device, or even uninstall and reinstall the app altogether.

View Top Rated Companies

The Bottom Line

If you don't have a current HBO subscription, and you want access to a great deal of HBO content, HBO Now is a great option to satisfy that need. HBO Now is a great way to extend your current cable subscription if you want to drop HBO from your current cable provider.

Also, HBO Now can be streamed on a large variety of devices, but the services are not the most competitive if you are looking for a large library of movie options.

We recommend reviewing the top rated companies before making a final decision.

Kimberly Kirkby
June 12th, 2018 Hollywood, FL DETAILS

Signed up for a week's FREE trial. I never could get the codes to work like it's explained. Therefore never got my free trial. This was in February. I noticed my bank statement from April. HBO*GOOGLE charged me 14.99 in for service in April. I called HBO they said I was calling the wrong place. Finally got a 800# that I thought took care of the problem. May comes around another charge for 14.99 . Meanwhile still no service either. Many frustrating calls later I thought the problem was solved. June 8th my bank says I'm overdrawn. Not only did HBO charge me 14.99 for 2 months service I never got but a 35.00 fee for being overdrawn. Not only have four people given me the runaround for two hours they were rude and still they wouldnt cancel because they couldnt verify i was really me. Apparently you can only be you when they steal their 14.99 , for service you don't get each month. Finally after two and a half months I had to call my bank to stop the charges. Never, sign up for the free deal with these people. They had had the nerve to tell they were trying to help me on my last call. They only helped themselves to my bank account. My free trial cost me 29.98 plus 35.00 for an overdraft for not having HBO . TOTAL COST OF NOT HAVING FREE ONE WEEK TRIAL AT HBO, 64.98. And never saw one program.

Tracy
June 4th, 2018 Glen Saint Mary, FL DETAILS

The HBO NOW app literally killed my phone and 2 weeks into the free trial, they hit my credit card so many times my bank froze my account due to suspicious activity.

Jeffery Parrish
June 4th, 2018 Prattville, AL DETAILS

Horrible streaming service. Constantly buffering/stuttering even with fantastic internet. Constantly having to refresh the page. Lacks simple mechanics that make huge differences such as a 'skip to next episode' button. The whole site is just very intuitive . Not impressed and I'm finished paying for it. Just make multiple accounts for free monthly subscriptions like everyone else, because it's the only rational approach to this abomination of a streaming service which is a shame because the shows/movies are incredible.

Robert G Schneider
May 22nd, 2018 Rockland, ME DETAILS

I just canceled my subscription. Excellent programing, but the most miserable streaming service imaginable. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Sharon
May 21st, 2018 Lenoir City, TN DETAILS

I subscribed in February and it was good the first month but had gone downhill since. Everytime I go to watch it makes me signin and who wants to go thru all that and today I’m unable to sign in and it’s not sending me my password reset email. My subscription is good till middle of June so looks like they’ve got me for $14.99

Keenan McLaughlin
May 1st, 2018 Iowa City, IA DETAILS

Terrible streaming quality. I've held out on my subscription for a year and to my surprise the steaming quality somehow went from terrible to atrocious. Yes, I tried their "troubleshooting" suggestions and contacted them. No, nothing changed. Furthermore, despite the larger number of premium movies and TV shows, the browsing platform is tacky and difficult to navigate. Just trying to look for a movie you want to attempt to watch is a hassle. For all the grief, I've concluded it's simply not worth $14.99 a month.

Douglas Kempf
April 23rd, 2018 Minneapolis, MN DETAILS

DON'T WASTE your money. It doesn't work. I sent a dozen emails, all I received were the same computer generated responses. Their personal reps were no better. In at least six conversations, they all asked me the same questions, as if they weren't retaining my prior answers.. Ultimately they blamed my Apple TV Box, even after I told them the other apps on my box work just fine. They did nothing to address my problem. Too bad, because their content is great.

AARON GRONBACH
April 19th, 2018 Lancaster, OH DETAILS

i have a Samsung smart tv circa 2014. hbo now app is NOT AVAILABLE. but I've had hbo go subscription in the past on this tv. what is the deal???

Vanessa
March 29th, 2018 Kihei, HI DETAILS

If I could give negative stars I would. The App always crashes, have to reinstall to get it to play and then when it finally won’t play no matter the hours of troubleshooting I went through with customer service, they say they get back to me, and they have a strict no refund policy! I say no! Let me speak to your supervisor I’m not spending 14.99 on an app that won’t work I want that month’s worth back! All they do is say they will “escalate” this and email me back with a response. Then all I get is an automated “sorry you’re having issues” response. I will get my refund back. Highly do not recommend wasting your money on this company.

Stephany Hampton
March 23rd, 2018 Louisville, KY DETAILS

My app stopped working, so after trying to uninstall then reinstall without success, I reached out to their customer support… what a joke! Took several communications to get any help, most responses were short, and offered no answers to the questions actually asked. When they finally gave me instructions to try to fix it, I ended up being double billed for several months, when I tried to get them to refund, they said it was not them, I had to contact Google Play. They could not even confirm why I was being double billed or how to make it stop… Google Play was not much more helpful, and I had to finally cancel the subscription and go to my carrier for a refund of the double charges. Total Joke!

Nicole Martin
March 19th, 2018 Acworth, GA DETAILS

Completely unusable. Every time we want to watch, we must uninstall and re-install the app. This was the best solution the support team could come up with. Not worth it. We love HBO and are willing to pay $15 per month for it, but when a company makes it clear they don't want your money, I do my best to listen.

Morgan Sappington
March 12th, 2018 Unicoi, TN DETAILS

Worst streaming channel I’ve came across yet. In order to watch a show on HBO NOW I have to restart the channel at the beginning of every episode due to the entire screen turning a white/grayish fog. ??? Plus y’all just cost too much!!

James
February 22nd, 2018 St Louis, MO DETAILS

Attempted to stream, but got a device setup error. Read deeper and said it was "non-compliant." I suppose I am incompatible with your service so I will go somewhere else! Thank you for saving me the time with the trial so I did not have to waste money on your service.

Janet A.N. Hinckley
February 2nd, 2018 Pismo Beach, CA DETAILS

Love the sound quality and movie selection. However, every movie we watch on this app buffers several times througgout movie. Very disruptive. Would have canceled if we didn't get refund. PLEASE FIX STREAMING QUALITY. We will cancel if not resolved soon.

maddi
January 29th, 2018 Wernersville, PA DETAILS

WORST STREAMING EXPERIENCE OF ALL TIME.

aaron ryan
December 7th, 2017 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

I love hbo and having access to the product, but it keeps freezing. I have DSL internet and fast wifi. works well with netflix and other services but hbo freezes for minutes at a time over and over again. really sucks when you are enjoying a show

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I like that I can get access to shows that are only available on HBO, like Silicon Valley and Curb Your Enthusiasm. Pretty awesome!

Bob Aronsohn
November 9th, 2017 Evanston, IL DETAILS

Deceptive free trial - I signed up by following the advertisement for a free one month trial before billing starts, yet I was charged immediately upon subscribing.

Rachel Tinnin
November 2nd, 2017 Denver, CO DETAILS

I paid for hbo now and thought I wouldn't get ads, since I'm paying $15 a month. Ads before every show. So they are banking off "us" consumers and having people pay for ads. I was bummed with Netflix cuz they didn't update new viewing fast enough... Netflix stepped their game and still cheap and new stuff. When I was younger the shows on HBO were the thing to see. My mind has changed.

Christina Arpino
October 16th, 2017

Got the free trial and cancelled before the due date but they charged me anyway.

Arlen Gierman
October 3rd, 2017

Cancelled after 24 hours (get a month free). Have 15mbps internet speed, smart TV, no competing devices....tried to watch "The Deuce" during broadcast, no luck...just pixelation, sound stops, freezing screen. Tried to watch it an hour after it aired (on demand), same problems. Tried to watch another show this am, just to confirm.....same. Netflix works great. Will miss a few programs, but not worth the aggravation with HBO Now.

Jay Clark
September 26th, 2017 Suwanee, GA

Understand upfront, HBO does NOT care about it's customers After a few months HBO NOW just stopped working. I have gone through the online help which provides very little information and never solved the problem. I called the number for assistance, each time was 45 minutes to an hour wait time just to talk to some poorly educated girl who always says she has to escalate the issue. Promised call back time was no more than 2 hours. Never a call back, just an email a day or 2 later saying they were sorry I had problems. I now have an App that I pay for that does not work. Time to cancel!

Jessica Gomez
September 18th, 2017

I have had the worst experience with this company!!! Which surprised me because I had HBO under my cable provider and never an issue. Customer satisfaction is a priority ! I had an issue and emailed hbo received a generic "someone is working on your ticket" I call HBO to expedite it and spoke with a live rep who was rude and refused to help and advised me that someone was working on my "ticket" two weeks later all I have is numerous emails that state "working on it " I've requested supivisor to call me and still send a email "what's your contact number " umm I should of stated "on my ticket" so disappointed !!!!!' All I know is I hope none of you ever have an issue because I will get the run around!!!!!

Andrew
October 4th, 2017 Glendale, CA

This app is absolutely atrocious. It crashes at least once every watching session, whether I'm trying to open a movie or continue watching a TV show. Just now I've tried to open a movie FIVE times through the app on my PS3, and it has crashed every time. For $14.99 a month for access to this app and its content, the consistency and reliability should be much, much, much higher. Very disappointed and won't be renewing my subscription.

Zack Anthony
August 14th, 2017 Dallas, TX

Horrible streaming. It took me alomst 3 hour to watch a single episode of game of thrones

Erin
August 14th, 2017

It never works when i want it to work. I have to go through an uninstalling process every single time. Not worth 14.99.

Mike
August 14th, 2017

Garbage. I got this app so I can watch HBO without having a tv service provider. I still can't watch HBO even though I'm paying for it. "Video Player Error" shows up almost every time I want to watch something specific. I thought this app was a "video player" but it will not play videos. It should read: "Broke. We scammed you!"

David
August 3rd, 2017 De Pere, WI

If you want to watch the same 10 seconds of a show over and over again, this is the service for you! Constantly buffering and rewinding so you get to see the same part over and over again.

Julia
August 2nd, 2017

Netflix allows us to use their service outside of USA. This doesn't. 0/5

Eric
August 2nd, 2017 St Louis, MO

Streaming during any time of the day is very low quality. While watching a program it constantly stops. I can't believe how bad the streaming is for a major player like HBO.

Brandon Goodman
August 1st, 2017

You have have to jump through a million and one hoops just to cancel your subscription. And hbo isn't even in control of there own subscriptions so calling is no help at all. Awful company

Warren
July 27th, 2017 Batesville, AR

HBO has plenty of shows I'd like to watch. Impossible due to their streaming issues. 20 seconds of stream, 1 minute buffer....repeat. I'm canceling and am surprised at HBO's arrogance. Netflix nor Amazon have problems like they do.

Steve
July 17th, 2017

The good: Great selection of original content worth $15/month in my opinion. The bad; Shows often unwatchable per constant buffering with wireless connection regardless of your internet speed / signal strength. Assume you will need a wired connection from your router, otherwise don't bother.

Daniel Benson
July 5th, 2017

Can't get 2 minutes into a movie without it stopping to buffer. It has stopped 3 times already, and I'm less than 7minutes into a movie. If I weren't on a free 30day trial, I would have already cancelled and asked for a refund. This is the worst streaming experience, for the worst price, with the least amount of content. I've had problems with this from day 1 and less than a week later, I'm pretty sure I'll be cancelling before the 30days is even expired. HBO should absolutely feel ashamed at even attempting to offer a streaming standalone service. I don't think it's worth $15/mo, I can't even see myself being okay paying $5/mo. Pathetic is the one word I can safely sum up what an utter travesty this is.

Blue Sheepdog
June 23rd, 2017

The selection of movies and shows does not change very often and many can be found on other streaming services. Their series are only so-so with short seasons and their alleged "late night" fare is tepid with the same never changing Latino based adult series and only two or three very dumb softcore movies. The largest issue with this service is... the service itself. Constant buffering problems, bad connectivity and playback issues. I have very fast landline internet and I cannot watch more than a few minutes of any movie or other program without having issues. On my wi-fi devices it is even worse. When you talk to customer service they are full of excuses as to why it has to be something on your end of the service that is causing the issue. They don't want to hear anything negative about their service despite the fact I can get faster and better service from their competition. I have cancelled my HBO Now subscription as of today and will stick with Amazon and other higher quality providers.

Michael Lyman
June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

HBO has several of my top favorite shows of all time. They create great original content. I feel like I can pickup and watch almost anything they produce and I will like it. I would say that HBO Now has become my go-to video streaming service. While the search function really needs some help on the xbox, they have the best movies and tv shows available on any streaming service by far.

Doyal Stewart
June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I really like the HBO shows, and HBO Now has made it so I can watch it on my iPad. I can't get enough of Game of Thrones and True Detective. I just wish I had more time to watch my shows.

Susan Stewart
June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love HBO Now, HBO has the greatest movies and excellent original TV shows. I love being able to watch my shows on the go. I also love being able to use it on my Roku. For a long time I had to plug my laptop up to my TV with an HDMI to watch HBO on my TV. A lot easier with the app!

Maile Curtis
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

HBO is not my favorite. They do not have a good selection of tv shows or movies. Also, the connection is poor. They are not worth the money.

Katrina
May 18th, 2017 Tyler, TX

Absolutely worthless. Always have playback issues or connection issues. If you do manage to get something to play then it stops in the middle of a movie and won't let you finish it. Don't waste your money.