HBO Now is a stand-alone TV streaming service for people who do not currently pay for cable TV. This is different from HBO Go which is included with a cable TV subscription. Subscribers to HBO Now have unlimited access to all of HBO's content at any time from anywhere. It provides higher quality movies and TV without a cable TV contract.

#1 Netflix chevron_right
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• High Quality Movies and TV Series
  • Parental Controls
  • Variety of Devices Available
  • HBO Original Series

High Quality Movies and TV Series

HBO has done a great job of making their past and present content available online. HBO Now currently has over 650 high-quality movies and almost 100 TV series. In addition to an on-demand library of content, HBO Now gives you access to stream live episodes and watch big premieres as they air on TV. Some of HBO's most popular content includes: Big Little Lies, Game of Thrones, and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Parental Controls

Parents have the ability to filter new releases, but there are some bugs editing out some of the older television shows and movies.

Variety of Devices Available

HBO Now is available on the following devices:

• iPad
  • iPhone (iOS app)
  • Apple TV
  • Android phones and tablets
  • Android TV
  • Amazon Fire tablets
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick
  • Web Browser (HBONow.com)
  • Google Chromecast
  • Roku
  • Play Station Four
  • Xbox One

HBO Original Series

In addition to licensed content, HBO Now also has several highly ranked original series. HBO Now has over 125 original series for subscribers to enjoy. These series are exclusive to HBO and will not be available through any other streaming tv service. Overall, HBO Now is a great alternative for someone interested in HBO content but doesn't want to subscribe to cable. It can be streamed on a wide variety of devices and is reasonably priced for high-quality content. Subscribers have unlimited access to all of HBO anywhere (not including all live TV) without a TV provider contract.

The Bad

• Price
  • Library Selection and Variety
  • Streaming Issues

Price

HBO Now costs $14.99 per month. This is a little more expensive than other streaming services, but HBO Now offers high quality of movies and TV series.

Library Selection and Variety

With HBO Now, subscribers are only going to get access to HBO-driven content. HBO Now doesn't offer the same high volume as other streaming services like Netflix or Hulu. However, they do offer over 650 movies and almost 100 TV series to choose from.

Streaming Issues

HBO Now is known to have streaming issues at peak times. In some cases, users may have to restart the app, their device, or even uninstall and reinstall the app altogether.

Customer Reviews

HBO Now reviews from customers often report that they had a difficult time canceling their service. Some even say that they got charged for their free trial and that HBO's customer service wasn't helpful in resolving the issue. Other reviewers complain that HBO Now often stops to buffer when you are watching a show.

The Bottom Line

If you don't have a current HBO subscription, and you want access to a great deal of HBO content, HBO Now is a great option to satisfy that need. HBO Now is a great way to extend your current cable subscription if you want to drop HBO from your current cable provider. Also, HBO Now can be streamed on a large variety of devices, but the services are not the most competitive if you are looking for a large library of movie options. Though HBO does feature some content that it seems like everyone's talking about, the poor customer reviews speak for themselves. For more information, read some HBO Now customer reviews below. We recommend reviewing the top rated companies before making a final decision.

2.2

Jalen Kekacs

May 5th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awful streaming... lots of shows to try and watch, if the garbage buffering doesn't drive you to insanity first. I've never been more upset than trying to watch anything through HBO Now.

Willem Burgers

April 30th, 2020 Panama City, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Completely not worth the money. Just about everything is available on Netlix and Hulu

HL

April 10th, 2020 San Francisco, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service. I called for a password reset that they claimed they couldn't do for my account because it had already been cancelled, and so I was not able to access the account for the remainder of the month that I had already paid 15.99 for. Frustrated, I signed up for Amazon's HBO Go in the meantime. I asked THREE SEPARATE TIMES for a refund from HBO Now and was told my request would be escalated and I'd hear back from them shortly. But this didn't happen either. On the third time I called, was told my refund was denied and in fact, they could reset my password and that I should try emailing Amazon for a refund request for HBO Go. Incompetent crooks. I will never, ever use this service again and will tell anyone I know who is thinking about signing up about the terrible experience I had with them.

Melissa Anderson

April 7th, 2020 Spring Branch, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not worth the free trial even. Have had it 2 days and nothing wants to load. We have very high speed internet. No problems with Hulu, Netflix or any of the others except hbo now. DEFINITELY NOT worth $14.99 much less the free trial

Ryan Bowser

March 31st, 2020 Garden Grove, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst variety of choices and they overcharged this thing should be worth 2.99 at the most that's how crappy HBO is, do yourself a favor and to the world don't get it

Rocio Diaz

March 23rd, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the best form of HBO and the price is truly worth it. HBO Now has everything you could ever want to see and all in one platform.

B ee

March 19th, 2020 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If HBO double charges you or makes any mistake they will not refund or credit you. They have done this twice to me. They like to double charge you then....not correct . SOOO... I call that theft. STAY AWAY FROM HBO... They will take your money and run, laughing.

Mirna Hanna

March 17th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They offer the shows that I can’t find anywhere else with great quality. It is great for the kids as well.

Andrea Diaz-Cepeda

March 16th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I became a loyal HBO customer because of Game of Thrones. HBO has created shows such as Game of Thrones that have customers like myself hooked! Because of quality of the content being produced, I will continue to be a loyal customer. I know HBO will continue to produce excellent material.

Myken

March 12th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love several of the HBO original series and HBO Go lets us watch them anytime anywhere.

Seth Boudoin

March 10th, 2020 ,

Great for binge-watching game of thrones. Excellent quality content and great price.

Hunter Brister

March 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HBO has some of the best shows online including Game of Thrones. I would highly recommend having this as a part of your daily watch.

DeeDee G.

March 10th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Works as intended. None of my HBO shows buffer and I get my moneys worth, very good price!

Tyler Jenkins

March 6th, 2020 Hattiesburg, MS

HBO now gives me the kind of television that I want every now and then. It’s shows are on the more serious side, and I think because of this, the production value is great.

Tiffany I

March 2nd, 2020 Gaithersburg, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HBO is the best. Every episode, every series in one place. I keep all my favorites in my watchlist. They always have good new movies out.

Darbles32

February 3rd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HBO has a ton of movies that I love to watch where as some other places have only a few and then some weird foreign films

Ashley Kraus

January 29th, 2020 Victor, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Everyone be careful with HBO Now!! I subscribed for Game of Thrones, then cancelled it after the last season was done. They have been charging me ever since! I unfortunately was not paying attention to my bank statements like I should have and never noticed it. When I finally did, I called them and the gentleman on the phone said that he saw my account was inactive and that he would have to get customer service involved. Later that night I received an email from them asking for screenshots of the charges and the billing zip code. I provided this information and they stated they had no record of me canceling my subscription, and that they now canceled it for me. I didn't understand why it showed my account was inactive and yet, was not cancelled. They asked what email I saw this notification under... um... The one I am currently emailing you on! The only email I have! They continued to argue with me about whether my account was inactive or not and are now refusing to refund my money. After arguing for 2 days over email, they informed me that they would refund 2 months worth. Not the 8 I was due. That they do not give refunds. YOU CHARGED ME AFTER I CANCELLED MY SUBSCRIPTION!! I'm not sure how you will be careful of this, since it will show your account inactive, but I guess call to confirm? It is sad that a company would take advantage of their customers. Thankfully I am not hindered by the amount of money they stole, but someone else might be! What if I cancelled it because I could no longer afford it??

Michelle Royster

January 28th, 2020 Portsmouth, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could give this app a half a star, I would! Paying 15 dollars a month only for the app to constantly lag, buffer and stop streaming all together is ridiculous. I will not be renewing my subscription.

Octavian Deflure

January 23rd, 2020 Chicago, IL

I had no problems with HBO and always liked thier shows until now. Thier complete idiotic butchery of game of thrones has completely thrown me off HBO for life. Highest ratings ever huge profit margins then rushed destroyed story line. I think they should be sued for taking a great story and then crapping all over it.

Marblatx

January 20th, 2020 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First it won't work on my main computer which runs Linux. It won't even take the user name/password. So then I try it on my Windows computer which I keep in the kitchen. On that one I get "cannot play video, try again later". They should re-name it HBO Never.

Jennifer Martinek

January 20th, 2020 Raleigh, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a trial period I didn’t want and got charged $30 for a crappy movie channel!!!

Poco

January 16th, 2020 Medford, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

By far the worst streaming service on the planet. 1- The app crashes nearly ever time I use it. 2- Horrible interface 3- Slowwwwwwwww 4- Most expensive service with the least programming 5- Difficult to find a show I want to watch even though I've been watching it. I spend almost as much time trying to watch something than I do actually getting to watch it.

Sharon

January 16th, 2020 Townville, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Poor choice of movies. Got free trial thru Amazon, but then they trick you to create a profile on their site. Cancelled thru Amazon but didn't know I had to cancel on their site as well, so charged for another month. They are ripoff artists!!!!

Bill Davis

January 2nd, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HBO Now sucks! It is NOT the same as cable HBO! If you search for "normal" movies you will find NONE. The only thing you get with HBO Now is access to HBO series' (such as GOT, Big Little Lies, Bill Mahr). You will NOT find other movies that you would find with a cable HBO subscription. HBO Now is extremely limited in it's offerings - what a ripoff HBO! You're just scrwing people left and right (first, abandoning ALL HBO subscribers who use Dish Network, and not the P.O.S. Directv), then you offer a cheesy streaming version that has limited available movies. Tsk, tsk. You just can't treat people like garbage and not realize it will bite you some day...

G

December 18th, 2019 Grand Forks, ND DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have HBO cable and it’s turned into a PBS channel. Sesame Street, documentaries, people profiles, stand up comedy (I have Comedy Central). Time to dump this.

ChristopherRobinson

December 17th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If I could rate less than one star I would. HBO now is not properly named. It should be hbo occasionally due to constant buffering or complete inability to “play this title at this time” it is not my internet connection as all other streaming services work flawlessly. Upgrade your streaming service please. I enjoy your titles and series but the constant buffering will drive away customers

Angie Burnett

December 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love HBO now for those who don't have cable you can still enjoy the benefits of their content. Game of Thrones is amazing original content. Streaming services are great, just don't try to subscribe the day of a big launch otherwise you might experience some down time.

Nancy Cornel

December 5th, 2019 Sacramento, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used HBO for about 6 months. After we subscribed we noticed their menu of what they had available to watch was very limited. We never could understand their menu and lack of showing the customer what they had to offer. We gave up and cancelled today.

Not A Fan

December 4th, 2019 Fonda, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HBO has some good stuff, though not enough to keep me interested year-round. I had used the streaming service for a few months about a year ago, and recently decided it was time to use it again for another couple of months. However, once I re-signed up (within minutes of re-signing up), I found that none of the videos would work in my browser. This was frustrating, but I went ahead and called the company right away to see if they could fix it. What I got from the representative that answered my call was not specialized help that really pinpointed my issue, but a long list of obvious and generic potential-problems ("update your browser.... clear the cookies from your browser..."). Upon realizing that the customer support was not going to provide me with any support, and that I would not be able to watch anything without doing research online to see who else was having a problem, I asked to just be refunded. The customer "support" person told me that there was a policy of not giving refunds (!!). I had to insist, and get clearly agitated, for her to transfer me to someone above her. He was unpleasant and chastising. After some arguing, he finally said he was giving me a refund but then expected me to sit on the phone listening to him troubleshoot my problem --as if I would ever need to troubleshoot for something I am never going to use again. He said my refund would not show up until 7-10 business days. I have not received an email yet confirming the refund. (If I do not wind up getting refunded, I am coming back to post another review).

KVictor

November 20th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Here is what pisses me off. I pay for HBO and while I'm watching a movie and an advertisement for another HBO show appears at the bottom left of the screen. Reminds me of watching TBS or some other channel. You would think HBO had more class than to bother their paying customers with extra large words telling you whats coming up next throughout the whole film. If I wanted to see that I could just download movies from the internet for free. HBO you are starting to suck. Whats next commercials? You should take you customers reviews seriously. Keep it up and I will cancel you too. What is this world coming to?

Scarlett

November 20th, 2019 Honolulu, HI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not only was it so hard to find out how to write a review on hbo, it was just the tip of my angered experience. Tried to watch a show I plan on seeing when it’s predicted broadcasting is prevalent, “his dark materials.” Quote “new episode tonight” “every Sunday.” They also Charge you more than any other streaming site, reviews are made impossible to make, and the one star was given because Of the good content. Each site needs to just merge and take the best ideas from each other, I’d rather pay $30-$40 then deal with an imperfection from each sight. 🙄

Jon Posey

November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As long as you are ok with their content, you will like HBO. Its a shame a lot of their stuff is riddled with crap that is not necessary otherwise I would be all in.

Todd Homitz

November 18th, 2019 Evans City, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great original programming and love the fact that I can go back and watch old series! The app is easy to navigate!

Do Not Subscribe!

November 5th, 2019 Bellevue, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish i had more than 40 characters to describe my nightmare experience in trying to cancel my subscription with HBONow. This company scams your money. Do not sign up. They make it nearly impossible to cancel. In my case, 2 accounts were made accidentally due to glitches and error pages on their end. It’s been 8 months and I’ve had to call multiple times to cancel and they will not refund my money even though I’ve never used the subscription because I didn’t know an account was actually created. They tell you to take it up with your credit card company instead of taking responsibility for their fraudulent ways. After 8 months, I’m still dealing with them charging me after they tell me they’ve canceled my subscription. I’m furious and want to start a class action lawsuit especially considering most everyone else has gone through the same thing!

Wanda

October 7th, 2019 Davenport, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Signed up for the free trial and could never connect. That was until they billed me for the month. Signed in and cancelled and they did not give me a full month of service, just 14 days. Signed up because I wanted to see Bohemian Rapsody. Tried to see the video 3 different days now and haven't been able to connect. What a waste!

Don Boren

October 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HBO has the best content on TV. Shows like Chernobyl, Game of Thrones, and Silicon Valley. Veep was one of the greatest comedies of all time! Streams fast without any problems with lag or buffering. Great service.

Thiago Leite Nicoluci

September 4th, 2019 Rockaway, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Signed up for the 7 day free trial and got charged. Found out I was not eligible. So, how come they offer me something I cannot get? And when I signed up, how come they did not alert me I was not eligible? At the end, they are charging me for a free trial (that is the name of the product) that I cannot buy. MISLEADING !!!!!!!!!

Ashley

August 30th, 2019 Memphis, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't do it. Just don't. I signed up for the free trial, just to find out it's not compatible with my device. Tried to cancel, the mobile option didn't work (it was glitching), and I could not get in touch with a rep on the phone before the trial period, so they stole $17 from me. They "escalate" your case, but the process is a lie, and they deny 100% of cases. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!! TIP: If they robbed you too, file a dispute with your bank as a fraudulent charge and get your cash back. They are ruthless thieves who make millions doing this to innocent people.

Matthew Atwood

August 1st, 2019 West Warwick, RI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I think it's a total rip off and I won't pay them anymore always the same garbage no new movies!

Leonora

August 1st, 2019 McHenry, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I paid for a month of HBO Now so I could watch a mini-series for a school assignment. I thought I had closed the account and was not using it. I got charged again and when I contacted the company the day after the charge to request a refund, as I was not using the account, I was refused. This is a terrible policy. You can see that I have not touched the account in literally a month, yet the day after you take my payment, you won't refund me? That's absurd. I absolutely will not be using this service again.

Monroe

July 29th, 2019 Bryan, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HBO is no longer the Home Box Office! It is now nothing more than a biased political platform. The movie choices are becoming slim, while Bill Maher and other political shows are taking over. I wish they would go back to showing movies!!!!!!!!!!!

Mariana

July 25th, 2019 Grand Blanc, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I followed the instructions to cancel my HBO Now sub through my PC. I went to 'billing information' and it said my sub would end by the end of the month unless auto-renew was turned on. I had auto-renew OFF and was unable to access any shows after such date, therefore I thought my sub was cancelled. I continued to be billed. I had to call support and they finally cancelled my sub. The support person couldn't explain to me why my account stated auto-renew was off and I was still being billed. She stated she would have support email me about the issue since she did not deal with those issues. I never got an email. I had to email them about the problem only for a guy named Greg to tell me they have a no refund policy. My account stated auto-renew was off....my sub should have been cancelled but apparently it doesn't matter and they billed me anyway. I don't recommend HBO Now to anyone.

not putting my name

July 25th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I watch it on my fire stick it pauses every second. Don't get me wrong it has amazing movies and shows, but the network is just really slow I've never seen a network stop so may times during a movie. I personally don't even think it deserves 1 star it deserves no stars.

Jade S

July 16th, 2019 Midlothian, VA

bad customer service.I signed on thinking the show was on there but it was on CBS.I worked a lot so forgot to call to cancel free trial .i cancelled it 2 days late and they refused to refund .I agree with the 2 stars

Jesse

July 8th, 2019 Marysville, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company deserves negative stars. I just found that I've been double charged since last September for the same account, under the same email, by HBO Now and HBO.

matthew

July 1st, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

HBO is awesome i love watching Game of Thrones on it and a lot of there other shows and movies are pretty good also. wish it wasnt so expensive but it is well worth the cost to watch Game of Thrones.

Cassy

June 25th, 2019 Newport News, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I cancelled and was charged the renewal anyway..HBO says no refund policy regardless.... They do not care...they nonchalantly take your money with no remorse... It is a scam and they are horrible customer service...manager was the worst!!!! I am fighting the charge along with my bank which is unfortunate... Please report these scammers to the BBB..so they can shut them down..They got me, but I will not rest until I stop them from this slick way of getting your money...and they do it boldly!!

gross

June 25th, 2019 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They give a free trial and say cancel at anytime. You cancel before the time is up and they still charge you.

Stevejohn

June 18th, 2019 Navarre, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had an error trying to enroll my email for an HBO Now subscription, I tried my other email account and it worked. I ended up getting charged for both accounts using the same Credit Card. I immediately contact HBO and was told to bad all sales are final and to bad. They acknowledged it was a an error, but still said sorry. Won't be making a mistake getting HBO again....

KC

June 18th, 2019 Buffalo Grove, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The HBO Now is ruining the HBO brand. It was a nightmare to cancel the service. According to HBO Now, I was supposed to be able to turn off the auto renewal toggle. For at least 2 months, the service was not cancelled even I turned off the auto renewal. When the service continued this month, I called and they recognized there was a problem but they were not sure why that happened. They manually cancelled my service but refused to refund my payment despite it was only a few days past the supposed expiration date citing non refund policy. I escalated the situation to the supervisor and he was not willing to help citing company policy. This is a classic example when a company has a great product that people love but a poor customer service (policy or otherwise) could simply ruin it. The lesson is never use HBO now if you do want HBO. Go through other channel, eg. Apple/Amazon, who has much better system and customer service.