There are many solar companies out there, but which one actually provides the most value and best customer service? We've made it our mission to find out.

After conducting exhaustive research on the solar industry and gathering hundreds of Sunrun reviews, we've weighed the good and the bad and discovered Sunrun to be one of the top installers of solar panels based on a variety of criteria points.

Sunrun, which is the nation’s largest residential solar, storage, and energy service company, has installed over 1,600 megawatts of solar power and helped hundreds of thousands of consumers in 19 states, Washington D.C., and Puerto Rico to gain energy independence.

Sunrun is the pioneer of the solar-as-a-service model and continues to drive innovation of solar generation, storage, and energy services and technologies. The rooftop solar provider's mission is to create a planet run by the sun.

The Good

• Payment Flexibility
  • Customized Solar Systems
  • Simple Solar Process
  • 25-Year Maintenance
  • Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels
  • Customer Care Team
  • Battery Storage Options
  • High Level of Transparency with Customers
  • Installation Experience
  • Extensive Availability
  • Helpful Website

Payment Flexibility

To fit customer needs, Sunrun offers several financing options, including solar leases, Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs), prepayments, outright purchases, and loans.

Sunrun solar lease and PPA options give customers the chance to reap the benefits of a home solar system for zero to little upfront cost.

The prepayment option features all of the same benefits as the lease option, except the customer doesn't have to worry about the hassle of monthly payments.

Purchasing a Sunrun solar system outright provides customers with long-term savings, while financing a Sunrun solar system through a loan allows customers to make payments to own their system, which provides long-term benefits.

Customized Solar Systems

Sunrun understands that every customer's home, lifestyle, and savings goal is unique.

As a result, the company customizes every system it installs to the customer's needs using its own proprietary Automated Site Modeling design technology. With just a few pieces of information and satellite imagery of the rooftop, Sunrun’s Automated Site Modeling software quickly designs a custom solar system to maximize energy production.

Simple Solar Process

Sunrun strives to make switching to clean energy as simple and hassle-free as possible for its customers. The rooftop solar provider saves time by taking care of everything from scheduling to permitting and allowing people to follow their installation progress through the mySunrun mobile app. The design and installation process is as follows:

• Step 1: Sunrun's experienced technicians will visit, measure, and evaluate the home; ensure that a solar system is the right fit; and design a customized solar plan.
  • Step 2: Sunrun's design experts will review and make any adjustments to the custom evaluation.
  • Step 3: Sunrun submits the design plans to the local city government for permitting.
  • Step 4: After the permit is granted, Sunrun's installers will come out to the home, go over the custom design with the customer, receive approval, and get to work.
  • Step 5: Once the system has been installed, the city or county will perform the final inspection.
  • Step 6: Sunrun will submit documents to the utility company and "Permission to Operate" will be granted.

25-Year Maintenance

If customers choose to lease or obtain a PPA, Sunrun will own the system and, therefore, is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the system. Additionally, Sunrun will refund customers if the panels installed on their roof ever underperform.

Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels

Other benefits of Sunrun's product include a 10-year warranty on systems that are purchased and up to a 25-year warranty on systems that are leased. Each solar customer's Sunrun contract also includes a roof warranty, which protects the roof from leaks or holes.

In addition, Sunrun provides its solar customers with daily system monitoring for no additional fee. The company's monitoring team oversees all all Sunrun systems and keeps an eye on production levels. If something happens or if performance dips, Sunrun will contact you as soon as possible to get things fixed.

Customer Care Team

Sunrun provides a U.S.-based customer care team that is ready to answer questions and help resolve any issues that may arise.

Battery Storage Options

Sunrun offers a battery storage option that can be purchased or leased called Brightbox. With Brightbox, customers can enjoy safe, clean, and reliable backup power in the event of a blackout.

Brightbox also helps customers manage electricity costs by seamlessly optimizing when a home uses electricity generated by solar panels, stored in the battery, or from the grid.

High Level of Transparency with Customers

Sunrun provides an abundance of helpful information on its website and strives to be very transparent with its customers. The company's website includes detailed solar education and FAQ sections, a helpful Guarantee page, and an informative "Plans and Services" page that will help customers better understand Sunrun's products and how to start taking advantage of solar power.

Installation Experience

When it comes to solar installation, Sunrun is one of the most experienced companies in the solar industry. In fact, the company is one of the few solar installers that has installed over 1,600 megawatts of solar energy.

As a result, Sunrun has offset 3.7 million tons of carbon emissions and helped more than 240,000 customers to control their electricity bills.

Extensive Availability

Sunrun currenty offers solar energy services in the following states and territories:

• Arizona
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Wisconsin
  • Puerto Rico

Helpful Website

Sunrun's website includes a variety of articles and helpful, easy-to-digest resources, including information on solar panels, plans and services, the cost of solar, warranties, installations, rebates and incentives, net metering, local information, solar education, and more.

Considering doing business with Sunrun? Learn more.

The Bad

• Outsourcing Installations for Remote Homes

Outsourced Installations for Remote Homes

A majority of Sunrun's installations are performed in-house, meaning that Sunrun employees will install the solar systems themselves, which is ideal. Occasionally, the company will contract other installers to work on homes that are too remote for Sunrun itself to reach.

While Sunrun does train and approve these third-party contractors before they work on a home, this outsourcing strategy has often led to inconsistencies in performance upon installation. Consequently, customer satisfaction concerning the installation quality and overall experience varies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Sunrun is highly recommended to homeowners who are looking to go solar. Sunrun's high quality solar energy systems, variety of financing options, lengthy maintenance coverage and warranties, and customer service and transparency are attractive features that make breaking away from your utility company and switching to solar simple and affordable.

Interested in going solar with Sunrun? Find out more. Want to learn more about Sunrun? Check out the Sunrun solar reviews from real customers below.

Sunrun Frequently Asked Questions

How does going solar with Sunrun work?

After you sign your Sunrun agreement, you’re ready for solar panel installation. The best part? You don’t have to lift a finger because we take care of everything from scheduling to submitting permits, to working with the city and utility, and securing your solar panels to your roof. Naturally you’ll have questions, and we’ll be right there with you answering them every step of the way.

Once you’re approved for a Sunrun solar installation, your home will undergo a site assessment and an expert solar technician will visit your home to confirm your system design.

After that, our solar design experts make any necessary adjustments to your design and get your final approval. Once you’ve approved your system design, we submit your design to the city for permitting. From there, either Sunrun or one of our local certified partners perform your solar installation. We only partner with the top-rated solar installers, so know you’ll have the highest quality solar installation available.

When your installation is complete, the city or county will perform a final inspection on your system. Once it’s approved, it will be connected to the grid, and we’ll submit your documents to the utility company. After your utility company grants Permission to Operate, you’re ready to start powering your home with the sun.

How much does a solar energy system from Sunrun cost?

Solar home solar system prices vary by home, your utility company, and your location. Contact Sunrun for a quote today.

What solar panels does Sunrun use in its installations?

Sunrun uses standard and high-performance solar panels in its installations.

How long does it take for Sunrun to install solar panels?

The process of having a home solar system installed on your roof can be relatively quick. Many Sunrun installations are completed in one day.

But before our crew comes to your house, we take a few weeks to prepare your project so that you have the smoothest installation day possible. You will have a team of experts working for you during this time who handle the tasks necessary for a smooth solar installation and keep you updated along the way. Our customer app also allows you to see your installation status during this time:

• Conduct a site survey to look at your roof, attic and electrical panel
  • Finalize your custom design
  • Apply for permits and wait for approval
  • Collect other necessary approvals and documentation that is specific to your neighborhood, such as HOA approval

Your project coordinator will be in touch with you throughout this time to keep you up-to-date on your progress. When it comes time to install the system, your installation coordinator will let you know how long the construction process will take for your home.

How long is a Sunrun agreement?

In general, our Sunrun agreements last for up to 25 years. Contact a Sunrun solar advisor for more information.

What happens at the end of a Sunrun agreement?

When you reach the end of your Sunrun agreement, you have three options:

1. You can purchase the solar system at the fair market value (excluding New York homeowners).
  2. You can renew your lease with us on an annual basis.
  3. Sunrun can remove the system at no cost to you.

When you reach the end of your agreement, the Sunrun Customer Care team will help you with moving forward however you choose.

Does Sunrun offer a warranty?

All of our solar equipment is backed by robust warranties. When you choose BrightSave, your solar system will also come with 24/7 monitoring and maintenance. So if it breaks, we’ll fix it, free of charge. Contact us to learn more about our Comprehensive Home Solar System Support.

Does Sunrun offer solar monitoring?

Yes! We have a monitoring team dedicated to keeping an eye on your home solar system. Here’s how it works:

1. We record production (in real-time) — Your Sunrun meter counts your kilowatts as they’re produced.
  2. We collect your production data (every six hours) — Four times a day, your Sunrun meter sends your production data to our Denver-based monitoring team, where all production data is collected, stored, and analyzed.
  3. We evaluate your production (every day) — We compare your production to the estimates included in your contract to confirm that your system is working as expected. We also check the weather and other systems in your neighborhood to make sure you’re harvesting just as much sunshine as your neighbors.
  4. We fix what needs fixing (if necessary) — If your system isn’t working as expected, we will identify the issue and rectify the situation. If we cannot fix your system with remote troubleshooting, we may need to send a technician to take a look at your system in person.

How many states is Sunrun in?

Sunrun currently offers residential solar service in 22 states, plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Sunrun states are Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Wisconsin.

3.6

Robert
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Installation with SunRun is excellent and we've never had any problems.

Juan
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Customer service was on top of everything. We are extremely happy with out system and we are actually recommending friend to use the system.

Christopher
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

I haven't been using the customer service but the one time that I called, the service was good. The installation process went very well. I wish during a power outage, I would be able to use it.

Carol
August 19th, 2019 DETAILS

They were very prompt and polite when they answered all of my questions. Installation went as planned, smoothly. Everything seems to be working perfectly. I found them very professional and easy to work with. They explained everything completely and everything they said, turned out to be correct.

David
August 19th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Installation was very smooth running. It was convenient at the time of purchase.

Chris
August 13th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

They met my expectation and for the last 5 months by elect bill has been $14. through June 2019. We'll see what my July bill will be

Lucy
August 6th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA

I like the product and what you have to offer. My representative did not answer questions and did not accurately reflect what he told me when I asked for a written proposal. When I emailed him back, he did not reply. So I doubt I will use your company.

KMD
July 30th, 2019 Oviedo, FL DETAILS

Service before, during and after installation was excellent.

Joe
July 30th, 2019 Orange, CA DETAILS

They have been great and have kept my system up and running, without me having to do anything.

July 30th, 2019 Bluffton, SC DETAILS

I am not happy with the outcome of the solar energy panels that I am receiving. I want to know why every year I am below the average energy levels for producing solar?!

Aaron Hackett
July 30th, 2019 Mukwonago, WI DETAILS

Over all poor follow through. I was told I would receive assistance in completing rebate paperwork, that did not occur. I was told I would receive a federal tax rebate, found out later it was a tax credit, big difference. I received a call thanking me for recommending a friend and if they installed panels I would receive a $350 bonus. The people I recommended have had panels for a year and I have still not received the bonus after several emails with no response. I will be strongly recommending a different service to friends you inquire about my panels.

July 30th, 2019 Florence, AZ DETAILS

I am on a fixed income and they would not change draft date just 2 days later. Sometimes Sun Run gets paid before I do

LA Lobo
July 30th, 2019 Torrance, CA DETAILS

Installation, service and product quality are all outstanding. Orientation of the customer realtive to system monitoring was weak and can be improved.

Wes
July 29th, 2019 Atascadero, CA

Salesman did a good job of selling the leasing plan. He got my social security number to calculate my credit score. He also got my checking account information to make required automatic leasing payments after installation. This information is stored on his computer. (Has my personal identity information now been comprised and no longer safe because...) A technician came to my home and reported that my roof was inadequate for installation. Then after all of this the salesman emailed that Sunrun will not install on roofs more than 10 years old. The salesman could have saved me and his company a lot of time by telling me about the 10 year requirement from the get-go. I have several years of life left on my existing roof. Now I am concerned about the safety of my personal identity.

Christian
July 29th, 2019

They're very patient I like that sounds like they know solar system

connie
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

good customer service so far, i hope it continues

Michael W Russell
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

My plan is a fixed lease rate with no escalation built in

Donald K
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

Sunrun has been an exceptional service provider and we have been very happy with all they have done for us.

Stephen Johnson
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

Good performance, but failure to provide a battery for storage in case of black-out.

John
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

Everything done as scheduled and no problems.

mike
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

one time slow response to clear and reset inverter.

Lorenzo
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

SunRun detected that I had a problem with my generation and sent a technician to check my system before I even received a bill from the Edison company showing that I had a zero generation. The technician determined that I had a faulty inverter and it was replaced at no cost to me. This occurred one year ago and since then I have had no problems.

Steve M
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

Hard to get customer support when problems arise

Jackie K
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

Their service was spot on. Everything was completed as promised, on time and correctly. My Representative, Guy Z, has always made himself available to answer my questions. My system is working wonderfully!

Mandar

Overall, in 8 years it was been a pleasant low friction experience

Best if leasing is your only option.
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

They are ok for leases but I think i would have done it a little different.

Charles
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

I ask the question on how to get battery backup twice with no answer back

Michelle Haugsness
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

Everything from start to finish has been stellar

BC
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

Installatin wason time and product works well.

Tim Johnson
July 24th, 2019 DETAILS

they help with trimming my trees, negitive is the lease

Larry
July 19th, 2019 Merced, CA DETAILS

I would rate Sunrun negative if I could. Sunrun made me sign the transfer agreement when I was buying the house but it never provide me with the original agreement signed between Sunrun and the previous owner several months after I moved into the house. When I found out the rates were too high, Sunrun admitted it was too high and did some adjustment . However Sunrun now wanted to increase my rates and provided some figures based on their calculation which is questionable. I feel very frustrated because Sunrun reps were just not listening to my story. I hope someone at Sunrun cares about its customers and would be sincere in resolving the issue.

Kylam
July 16th, 2019 Vista, CA DETAILS

Haven't run into any issues with the equipment - so far it's running well. I had to check on their installation work and constantly monitor. They want to run the conduit right above my living room and it would be ugly. So I had to ask them to route to the top of the roof so it's not visible. That's the only thing I didn't like about it. I'm glad I caught them before they did that. A while back I received an email that said my bill was going to increase from $105 to $157 - when the contract said I would only have a 2% increase annually. So I called the rep, and the rep said that the price was wrong. I asked SunRun to confirm and they said they don't know how the $157 got sent to me, but they didn't want to confirm the new price of $107.

Lisa
July 16th, 2019 Pismo Beach, CA DETAILS

We liked the representative that came to our house, he gave good and clear information. The customer service representatives are also good workers and communicate and do an effective job. The equipment is performing quite well and is holding up fine, so it seems good and solid.

Alex
July 16th, 2019 San Marcos, CA DETAILS

Prices are probably a little bit higher than some others but once you factor in everything I am quite impressed. Everything was finished extremely well, I had a neighbor put in solar form another company and that took as long as a week. They are very attentive and dealt with an issue with out homeowners association promptly. There are some glitches in the app and it's not really up to date but everything I purchased was state of the art.

Frank
July 16th, 2019 Diamond Bar, CA DETAILS

Living up to my expectations. The sales people were very professional and very clear.

Rosemary
July 16th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Using SunRun is a very easy way to get into solar. Installation of the system went well - just as expected. Some questions that we had were never quite answered with the company. We had one and nobody ever got back to us.

John
July 16th, 2019 Chandler, AZ DETAILS

Installation was done quickly, neatly, and effectively. Out next door neighbor got a different company and they were horrible and I could see all the problems. Compared to what we have heard about other companies, Sunrun is the best.

Samuel
July 16th, 2019 DETAILS

The only problem I have is the length of the time I have the system; twenty years is a long time. Everything went smoothly with installation.

Gary
July 16th, 2019 Perris, CA DETAILS

Some friends of mine had it on their house and when I saw it I decided to install it and am very happy. They seem to be working fine.

Jose
July 16th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

Sunrun has been very responsive. The installation was nice and smooth, it only took about one day. The equipment runs well, we had a couple of issues but someone was able to run those details and now everything is going perfect. I like that is backed by a warranty. The only thing is that we feel we got short handed on the loan aspect based on what the salesman told us.

Liz
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

For instillation they showed up when they said they would they and did it, I believe, in one day. They took all of the pictures of the roof tiles before they started they took another set after they finished and got it up and running and approved by electric. Then they came out and fixed any ones that were broken. They did everything professionally and right away. There were just a couple little items that came up but they were right on top of it.

Candice
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

When they take money out of the account they'll only do it on a certain date which that doesn't coincide with my social security. So, I have to pay extra in order to write a check or call in my payments because they can't take it out on the dates I would like. So far everything has worked perfectly. It's pretty easy to turn on and get it going.

Darlene
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

They could have kept me better informed through the process. Since installing SunRun I've had no electric bill so I think they put in the right size system. The instillation process went fine and there were no issues.

Andrew
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

They seem like they actually want to help you out and answer your questions right away. The instillation process went pretty smooth. The installer was very courteous and professional. I would definitely refer SunRun.

Stefanie
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

I chose SunRun because they have a good reputation. The instillation precess was exceptional. Now that SunRun has been installed I have seen decreases our bill. I just highly recommend them.

Carla
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

The salesman was not pushy. What he was saying made sense and we had been looking to do this for a while. I felt like the instillation process went very well. I would recommend SunRun.

Marshall
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

I like SunRun because the electrical junction boxes are all low profile dark black solar panels, which look better than my neighbors panels. Recently my bill went up and even though it was only a few dollars I didn't get any type of explanation.

Cornelia
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

The instillation process was very quick and definitely professional. The equipment was in good condition and has been functioning very well. The sales person was very good and reason why I currently have SunRun.

Steven
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

We had trouble getting the approvals from another energy company because every time they would try to get it put up they came back with some other kind of lame excuse why they wouldn't approve it. So yeah, SunRun did a fine job. I've had no problems with the equipmant at all. It produces energy and my light bill is virtually nothing. I've already recommended it several times.

Barry
July 15th, 2019 DETAILS

The instillation went relatively smooth but there was a couple of days that we didn't have any electricty in the middle of the summer because they were working on it. Aside from that everything was good. I did call and and opens a couple of cases for some very minor stuff but there has been no answer to those request.