Sunnova is a different kind of power company, which is reflected in its business strategy.

The company partners with the best and brightest solar experts in the areas it serves to provide customers nationwide with low-cost, worry-free solar power while supporting the local economy.

So, when you choose Sunnova, you’re not only choosing to lower your energy costs for 25 years -- you’re also making a decision that’s good for your community and the environment. And that’s a choice everybody can live with.

The Good

• Flexible Payment Options
  • Helpful Moving Options
  • Wide State Availability

Flexible Payment Options

Sunnova offers a number of payment options for customers to choose from.

The company's EZ Own option gives homeowners the opportunity to purchase a system without any upfront costs and pay a fixed amount each month for a 25-year term, which is substantially less than most power bills. At the end of the term, the customer will own the solar power system.

Sunnova's EZ Pay PPA is another diverse financing option that only requires customers to pay for the energy produced by the system at a flat monthly price. There is also a standard lease option available, during which the customer will essentially be renting the panels from Sunnova.

Helpful Moving Options

If a customer decides to move while under contract, Sunnova offers a number of options: the customer can transfer the service agreement over to the new owner, pre-pay the remainder of the contract and transfer it to the new owner, or move the system to a new address. This is especially beneficial for homeowners who are less permanent.

Wide State Availability

Sunnova is currently available in the following 17 states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Texas.

The company's services are also available in Guam, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Saipan, which means many consumers have the option to go solar with Sunnova.

The Bad

• Long Contract Terms
  • No Buyout Option for Leases

Long Contract Terms

Sunnova requires a 25-year service agreement, which is higher than the average 20-year agreement employed by most other solar companies.

Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a production guarantee for PPAs, which can be detrimental if the system isn't producing as much as it should be during the length of the contract.

No Buyout Option For Leases

Sunnova's lease options do not include a buyout option for customers, which creates a disadvantage for those who may need to move while under contract.

The Bottom Line

Sunnova is available in several states and offers a variety of financing options and moving options.

However, the company's contract terms are longer than industry average. Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a buyout option for leases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.7

Danielle

January 24th, 2017 Beverly Hills, CA

Sunnova will not support you. We are going on 4 weeks of leaks in our house because of solar panels that were installed 2 years ago. The contract for panels is a 30 year contract, and we are in the infantile years of this contract. My expectation was that when we informed Sunnova on New Year's Day of the multiple leaks in the garage that they would uphold their commitment that is promised in the contract to follow up with us in 24 hours. Instead we are now up to a dozen new leaks. If you choose to commit to Sunnova please be aware that you will: Have to chase them down to reply to you They will take the least expensive approach to every solution, even if that means ultimately repairing the same issue will end up costing them 5x more since it has never been done correctly. The contract between you and Sunnova, goes through great lengths to protect them, but not yourself or your home. You will have to hire lawyers to ensure your rights are protected. The good news is, there is room for a lawyer to fight for you. Read carefully: the ‘warrantee' on your roof from Sunnova only covers a portion of the length of time these panels are on your roof. The same ‘warrantee' does not really provide you with all of the comforts your typical roof warrantee provides you with. Sunnova is not based in the North East. They literally have no idea what is happening at your home. They do not provide you with 1. Answers or 2. Compassion. The amazon rainforest has been in my house new year to date. Sunnova's scripted reply of “we are so sorry, we will get that fixed right away” is obviously a false statement.

Marty Bennett

January 23rd, 2017

By Far the most comprehensive warranty for a purchase on the market. Nothing else comes close and their loan doesnt show up on my credit report. Im not impressed by standard purchases or leases, but their EZ Own program is the best program in solar hands down.

Sunnova Logo

Reply from Sunnova

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Marty, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Richard Miranda

January 13th, 2017

I'm just beside myself. I no longer have any confidence in the decision I made to go solar. I must have my head examined for agreeing to pay $157.00 a month for this crap. So far, I cannot say I have seen any savings. In fact, the four months of summer electric bills were even higher than last year. Over all, between the solar billing and the electric bill, I'm losing my shirt. I've called Sunnova and Atlantic Electric only to be told some confusing explanation. I've just received my December electric bill and it was just about the same as last year when I didn't have solar. What am I saving????

Bettie Green

January 10th, 2017 Arrey, NM

Don't get involved with Sunnova. Their so-called lease program is nothing but a scam. They end up receiving all the tax benefits and all you end up with is a monthly bill which goes up every year, while the panels are depreciating. Do yourself and look elsewhere. What this company REALLY needs is a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for fraudulent business practices. Contact your Attorney General about Sunnova.

les greenough

November 11th, 2016 Sierra Vista, AZ

Solar system has not functioned for approximately two months. Electric bill has continued to increase while Sunnova continues to collect lease payments which means that I end up paying more than if I didn't have a solar system!! Lease payments plus electric bill. Continued contact with CUSTOMER SERVICE provides NO RESULTS. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY!!

Rose Gibson

October 24th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

It was an extremely easy install. Communication was great. Very happy with the service and the design of the system. You can't even tell I have solar. Panels are on back of house and the switchover was seamless.

Jose Tineo

October 20th, 2016 Bronx, NY

The worst don't want to cancel give you a hassle want to penalize you and take you to court. Also they take longer than any other company...Very bad customer service....BEWARE...

James Hickey Jr

October 19th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Everything was done following the schedule that was set and the installers were neat and careful with my house and grounds. Sunnova was constantly checking and informing me of the next steps.

Kevin McElveny

October 14th, 2016 Ione, CA

The worst customer service I have ever encountered. No that is not fair for me to give this review sun ova would have had to do something to deserve this review. There is the problem I have been trying to get my solar repaired for over three weeks now. I have never had a call back from anyone I have been told my case has been excluded! Hindsight is 20/20 I would have never done business with this company. They are getting their money every month on time I'm just trying to get what I am paying for. If I could give a lower score I would.

Robert DiPietro

October 12th, 2016 Sewell, NJ

I've been mislead buy this company from the start My average electric bill was $145 before solar and they State my bill with solar would be $98 per month and I would save around $50 a month They never told me I would still get a bill from the electric company Before solar my electric bill was averaging $200 for the three summer months Now with solar I'm paying the $98 to Sunnova and $90 to electric company for an average of $189 so I'm saving $11 and I got this crap on my roof I've been calling them for 4 months and getting nothing but a big run around !

Julio Abislaiman

October 11th, 2016

This company has absolutely no customer service. For close to three months I have been complaining about my systems performance and the only actions I see from Sunnova is their collection department calling me to collect. They are the worst.

David Weger

October 3rd, 2016 San Francisco, CA

The installation crew was very professional and organized!

Michael Perez

September 22nd, 2016

This company is the worst service had the panel install over a year and only work about 1-2 month and still haven't fix it call after call and all I get a BS over the phone I would never get this company again the worst

Tony Capasso

September 22nd, 2016 Runnemede, NJ

not good service at all. had to wait almost one year before it was turn on. then it was turned on in the summer months, and received a high electric bill along with the lease bill. They never said I would receive a large bill from the electric company For them to be rated where they are it is to high.

James Kemp

September 21st, 2016 San Francisco, CA

What was stated from the onset became a reality. Our first prorated monthly bill arrived and it showed a mark difference as was promised.

Harry Carney

September 19th, 2016 Glassboro, NJ

My system was installed and turned on 4/17/16 have been very happy with everyone and the performance. Was installed by Code Green Solar of New Jersey

WIlliam Keyes

September 15th, 2016 Folsom, CA

Buyer beware. Sales associate will say that its easy to transfer the lease to a new owner even if its a company buyout which is not supported by their inflexible management. They are in this strictly for the money are not flexible at all for the customer.

James Thornton

September 13th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

The system is operating well, producing more electricity than we use. Very happy.

Keith Swindell

September 11th, 2016 El Dorado, CA

Constant incorrect billing, bad customer service, no one EVER answers the phone, or returns email requests.

Richard Wu

September 4th, 2016 Cerritos, CA

After one year of complaints, and shutting down the system and stopped paying them. They finally sent a technician to inspect the system. However they still don't want to fix the problem as recommended by their own technician. None of the customer support knows how to calculate optimal wattage of a system or total consumption of a household. I had to do the search. Worst company ever. Would give them -10 if I can

Jim

September 2nd, 2016 UT

We are charged $300 more per year than if we did not have a solar unit on the house. I am not saving any money. They say that their rates do not go that low for the area we are in. Also, it did not add value to the house. After trying to sell it, nobody wants to pay extra for it. We are stuck with a lemon!!!

Linda Bretton

August 8th, 2016 Lake Elsinore, CA

Company will not listen to my complaint that the system is under performing, will not send anyone out to check it out. In addition I have tried for 8 months to get a pay-off figure from them, since I have a lease to purchase, not a PPA. Would NEVER sign a contract with them again. They were recommended by the company that did the installation. That company is no longer recommending them because of their poor customer service.

Barry Karen

July 29th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Installer team took care of everything. No problem. They knew more about my house then I did.

Susyn Morales

July 20th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

EVERYTHING was well communicated and explained. Every step, every move. My install team was so awesome. They communicated well and were thorough, polite and cleaned everything up so it was better than when they arrived each morning. Top notch all the way around.

VUONG NGUYEN

July 12th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Great Service and Installation Team...Really fast and professional. Passed city final inspection at the first short. So Impressed. I am also general contractor and I am very happy to have you as our solar support. Will refer to my friends and Clients. Keep great work...

Karen Berlin

July 8th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

We have had the system on our roof for one year now. The sales department was great, quick and easy installation. But after having it for a while and seeing our bills and the constant fight with DWP the solar co. has been no help. There customer service sucks!!!! They told me to call DWP if I had a problem with the bill. They do not listen or call you back. I really need help with getting thru to them that they are over charging me for the service, it does not cover my bill and I am still getting charged from DWP. I am actually paying more now then before we go solar. So I say it is a rip off I would not do it again. If I could take it off and throw it in the alley I would.

John Stracensky

June 14th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Excellent experience and I was totally impressed with their work.

Michael Leach

June 6th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Smooth operation, and I was kept informed every step of the way. I am able to save money and help provide renewable energy, without having a huge out-of-pocket expense.

Yfrain Rojo

May 31st, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Time of response and communication everytime I call with a question there was always someone to provide you with an answer, currently I have recommended this company to at least 10 people and they are serious about I will show them my resent bill to confirm the information I have provide them.

Vincent Definis

May 31st, 2016 Sewell, NJ

Sunnova uses either the cheapest solar panels or the oldest style with support clips showing above all the tiles. Their local installation company does not know the word Communications company's name is code green they do not return phone calls. The solar panels are not aligned properly the cables between panels are showing on one side. Also I was told local installation company code green that I would be getting panels like my neighbors which are the dark with dark trim and no support clips showing. I feel the panels that were installed on my roof lower the value of my home just from the Aesthetics. I tried to contact go green for 3 weeks no return calls. Contacted sunnova directly and they swear these are the best panels out today. No resolution yet.

Gloria Cryer

May 20th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Everyone I worked with was professional and kept me informed all the way through the entire process.

Charles Corum

May 18th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Good initial contact by Tyler Mason, and good follow up letting me know when the city inspection and approval by San Diego Gas and Electric were completed. Clean install, and the system is up and running like clockwork.

Theresa Bernardi

May 13th, 2016 Brick, NJ

This has been a year of headaches. From the first day of install there has been one problem after another. First my roof was damaged , along with my kitchen. Then was tarred in multiple locations. From there, the connection issues were nonstop. When trying to contact sunnova multiple times , they finally claimed to put my account on hold till the issues were resolved. After many attepts to get my system running , just recently the system is working properly. However, I have been trying nonstop to get in touch with sunnova to get my account back on track. Today I get one call saying that I have to pay for all the months that the system wasn't working! " It is not their problem" is exactly what was said. I have called this company 134 times (kept track) and not one representative was helpful or even professional! This is one company that I would never recommend.

Theresa Walker

May 11th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

I received excellent sales representation from the first contacts (Jarom Morely and Jose of VISION). They remained in contact with me through the full installation of the solar. Each stage of the installation was a pleasure meeting each person. They were polite and informative. The electrician, inspector, and each technician that addressed my installation was fantastic! Thank you as well.

Chris Judd

May 5th, 2016 Running Springs, CA

Well, after a long, frustrating battle of emails, dealings with numerous customer service reps and having to contact the BBB, Sunnova agreed to lower our monthly premium to offset the underestimated power production vs. our consumption. I don't know why they didn't help us sooner, but we are happy that they finally did.

Lawrence Glover

May 5th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

I was very satisfied with customer service all round, they kept me informed of every step without me having to inquire and the crew who did the installation was very professional.

Mary Yvonne Henry

May 5th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Besides having to wait on PG&E, the entire process was quick. I have recommended the company to many of my friends and neighbors.

Tom White

May 5th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Excellent customer service and professional installation process.

John Eht

April 21st, 2016 Atlantic City, NJ

It had come to our attention that there are several errors pertaining to the installation of our solar panels on our pole barn roof the most upsetting but certainly not the only one is the fact we now have holes in our roof where, as the sun sets, you can see daylight through. There are also several rail mounts bolts that are splitting thru the roof trusses and not supporting any load. We also don't see how drilling thru a tin roof with nothing behind it creates any stability and creates even more opportunity for the roof to leak. We were assured when this project began that your crew was professional and fully capable of installing the system on this particular type of roof. It is evident this is not the case. To date your company has lost our original contract, we began this process back on July 19th, 2015, run over our landscaping and now this. I understand that a tin roof is not your standard mounting surface but if you were not capable of doing this type of installation you should have declined the job entirely and not put us through this. The building itself is less than 2 years old and its roof life WAS, until your installers put holes in it, expected to be 30 years. Not only have you destroyed our roof warranty, the installation is not even being done to the specs of the building. It was pointed out to your crew and the person who drew up the plans that the loading specs for the roof are incorrect yet you still proceeded to install incorrectly. The trusses are NOT 24” on center they are 48” on center which effects all the roof load calculations so what has been installed is incorrect. We were also told that the supports to the end of the rails would not exceed 16”, a rough estimate is they are over 30”. At this point we are requesting that all work be discontinued and that someone contact us to remedy the damages you have created by poor installation. We expect a new roof, not one with patches, and proper installation by a competent crew. If you cannot find a competent crew who knows how to do an installation on a tin roof properly we are not interested in completing this project with your company and expect a new roof in addition to being released from the contract with no obligation on our part. Installer is Statewide Solar

William Applegate

April 20th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Service was always great! Everyone who I spoke with and all the installers were respectful and polite.

Denise Bonillas

April 15th, 2016 Chico, CA

Everything their sales rep told us was basically false. Told us our True up would be about $300 and it was almost $1300. When we call to talk to them about it they claim that it is our fault that we did not do better research that the salesperson is contracted out and that is not their problem. We changed our payment method and they raised their rate on us and when we call to talk to customer service about it they say someone will call back and no one ever calls back. We calculated our old PGE bill before solar with our new Solar bill, PGE Fees and True up and we are paying more now. FUN!!!! This is a bix hoax and they do not stand behind anything that they represent. My husband is ready to rip it off our roof and higher lawyers!

Patrick Osterman

April 11th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Carter is THE most professional, knowledgeable and pleasant company rep! The whole experience was awesome from start to finish and your customer service department is to be commended, too! Have already recommended your company and will continue to do so! Pat and Sue Osterman

Frank Rodriguez

April 7th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

From beginning to completion, the process went as promised. With Mr T. Jones thorough and outstanding presentation of your product. To the final completion of installation of system, the experience was great.

Noreen Graham

April 5th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Everything from sign up to installation was done quickly and efficiently. Everybody has been very cordial. Our sales rep Randy was a very pleasant man that pushed to get all this done before the rainy season set in.

Alex

February 23rd, 2016 San Diego, CA

One of the worst solar company. There is no customer service. Every bill they over charge me and I placed call after call with no result. Poor quality, poor service. if you want to go solar do your homework and go with another company. This company does not wort your money and time. Stay away. Do not do same mistake I did.

Chris Judd

February 23rd, 2016 Upland, CA

I have been battling with this company for over a year now. They did not deliver as promised. The system they installed did not produce enough electricity to match our consumption as we were told it would by the middle man sales company, United Dollar Power. They just disappeared after we started having problems. Sunnova keeps giving us the runaround and bouncing us from rep to rep. Go somewhere else while you can or seriously consider staying with your conventional power company! My wife and I are now bound to a 25 year contract and fighting them. Because of their misrepresentations and erroneous power calculations, we now are paying 50% more than we were!

Steve

December 18th, 2015 Woodbine, NJ

I agree the customer service is the worse I've ever experienced. The product has been unreliable, activated 10/19/15 went down 10/22/15 has yet to be restored and it 12/18/15. If you call they promise you a call back that never happens, after a month of calls I sent a email listing all phone calls, who I spoke to and what was said. They answered me the system is working as expected and I need to give it 4 months to see the results. My system was blacked out, which raises the question are they monitoring the system? Bottom line stay away from this company

michele

December 17th, 2015 Las Vegas, NV

The solar is great however the customer service is the worse I have ever been associated with. I have had solar for over a year now and customer service still can not get the name on the account correct. The customer service agents are very nice however every time you call they need to open a new case. I also had a credit they billed me twice I had to prove with bank statements that they over charged me. I received a credit the next month the balance of the credit was gone. Now I'm back on the phone with them getting it corrected again.

Roderick

November 2nd, 2015 Carson, CA

Customer service? They don't know the meaning of that. When you call and request a call back, they call and disconnect when you answer and this can go on for sometime. My system has been running for a month with PTO and another month without and I still can't monitor the system online. I have called many, many, many times to get this resolved and it's always the same response, The IT Dept is working on it! They must be pre-school kids. This is not a good start!!

Alex

October 8th, 2015 Springfield, NJ

Knowledgeable sales team, system was installed as discussed within time frame discussed, inspection went well, installation crew was kind and understand their work thoroughly. Customer service was prompt and took messages which was returned. Overall best experience from start to finish.