Since 2012, Sunnova has been providing solar power and energy storage to residents and business owners across the country. The company offers a solar industry-leading 25-year service commitment on all solar panel installations, with an additional 10-year roof warranty. Meanwhile, the Sunnova Adaptive Home solution integrates smart technology into the solar installation by optimizing energy sources for the unique energy needs of the homeowner. The solar service provider offers a number of financing options, but conditions do apply.

#1 SunPower chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 Solar Optimum chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Flexible Payment Options
  • Helpful Moving Options
  • Wide State Availability

Flexible Payment Options

Sunnova offers a number of payment options for customers to choose from.

The company's EZ Own option gives homeowners the opportunity to purchase a system without any upfront costs and pay a fixed amount each month for a 25-year term, which is substantially less than the average electric bill. At the end of the term, the customer will own the solar power system.

Sunnova's EZ Pay PPA is another diverse financing option that only requires customers to pay for the energy produced by the system at a flat monthly price. There is also a standard lease option available, during which the customer will essentially be renting the panels from Sunnova.

Helpful Moving Options

If a customer within Sunnova's residential solar market decides to move while under contract, Sunnova offers a number of options: the customer can transfer the service agreement over to the new owner, pre-pay the remainder of the contract and transfer it to the new owner, or move the system to a new address. This is especially beneficial for homeowners who are less permanent.

Wide State Availability

Not only does Sunnova install quality panels, but the solar company also provides backup battery storage in the event of a power outage in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Nevada, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Texas.

The company's renewable energy services are also available in the Virgin Islands, which means many consumers have the option to go solar with Sunnova.

The Bad

• Long Contract Terms
  • No Buyout Option for Leases

Long Contract Terms

Sunnova requires a 25-year service agreement, which is higher than the average 20-year agreement employed by most other solar energy companies. While this can still lead toward a path to ownership, longer-termed solar loans are often accompanied by relatively higher interest rates. Customers should get in touch with a Sunnova employee for specific terms and conditions prior to signing a contract.

Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a production guarantee for PPAs, which can be detrimental if the system isn't producing as much as it should be during the length of the contract.

No Buyout Option For Leases

The company's lease options do not include a buyout option for the Sunnova customer, which creates a disadvantage for those who may need to move while under contract.

The Bottom Line

Sunnova is available in several states and offers a variety of financing options, including a solar lease and PPA, and moving options to help customers establish energy independence.

However, the company's contract terms are longer than industry average. Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a buyout option for leases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.8

Jim W

November 12th, 2019

I'm a new Sunnova customer. Suntuity was the solar company that did the installation and permitting for us. Suntuity kept us in the loop every step of the way. Their staff was excellent in answering all my questions through the process. They also assisted in getting me a new roof since our old roof was 20 years old. The process of taking off old roof and putting new roof on was one day. Installing solar panels and wiring one day. Keeping up with the inspections and approval process between my local Construction office and AC electric took the most time. From start to finish just under 4 months. Now looking forward to see my electric utility bill go down.

Nov 13, 2019

Hello Jim, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority. So thanks for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.^MO

Annoyed customer

November 6th, 2019 Long Branch, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The worse Company ever I regret even getting Involved with this company, customer service is the worst every time I call I am on hold for more than one hour!!! My box has not been producing since April 2019 and today is October 4, 2019 (6 months and still waiting, no one has come to fix the problem I’ve called them several times !!! they were supposed to come Oct 1 no show, they scheduled again for October 3rd which they canceled for bad weather they said they will be here October 4 and never called to Let me know That they were not coming! ! I called they told me someone would be here for sure but nobody ever showed up! I called again they gave me the run around!!!! I would not recommend this company to anyone... i’ve told a few people that were considering this company to find A different company because this company is the worst I regret it so much!!! If I could climb on my roof and remove all those panels myself I would!!! I’m so very very disappointed!!!!! Oh but they are sure to take my money every month....!!

Oct 08, 2019

Good Evening Olga, Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your you send us a private message with your system ID and a phone number where we can reach you? ^OA

Mike Slater

November 6th, 2019 Waltham, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Im writing this review , ive had this system on my house for a few years now and last June 2019 it stopped producing I have had to pay very high electrical bills since that time as well as their monthly charge. I called in august explaining that the system does not seem to be working. I have yet to receive any technician call or Apointment it is now November 2019 . I have made my last call to customer service today as i have called every week since August . I will not be paying another cent to Sunova until my system is up and running and if i do not hear from anyone by next week i will be taking legal action to have the system taken off of my roof along with any Electrical work and repairs needed to put the house back in order before the installation was made . As far as Im concerned it is a breach of Contract that you signed to keep the system maintained in working order.

Nov 08, 2019

Hello Mike Slater, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience with your system issues. We'll escalate your note to the appropriate department to have one of our Issue Resolution Specialist to give you a call within 30 minutes. ^OA

Dave Bonillas

November 6th, 2019 Chico, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer Service avg wait times are clocked in over 1hr. Production report meter broke in April 2019, still nothing and it is Nov. 2019.

Nov 06, 2019

Hello Dave Bonillas, Records you have a direct point of contact. I will forward your concern to the appropriate department.^OA

ADELEYE FAMILY

November 6th, 2019 Sicklerville, NJ

All the crews are very professional, knowledgeable, on time and skillful, they did a nice job and went through the whole installations from the start to the end.

Nov 06, 2019

Hello Adeleye Family, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^OA

Carol Vayda

So far, so good. All went well & I'm up & running

Nov 04, 2019

Good Morning Carol, Thank you for your positive feedback and Welcome to the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

Phoebe Guinoo

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are good and but waiting time to call sometimes is long

Nov 04, 2019

Good Afternoon Phoebe, Thank you for your feedback we use all of our customer comments to better our customer service programs. Welcome to the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

Steven Smith

my electric bill is still pretty high and I,m disappointed. Thanks Steve

Nov 05, 2019

Hello Steven Smith, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not a typical Sunnova Experience. We do apologize and are here to help. If you could please send us a private message with your phone number/system id to . One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you as soon as possible. Thank you ^OA

Valerie Blalock

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It's been a slow process and the job isn't quite complete yet. Still waiting for Pepco to do work.

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Valerie, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do apologize and are here to help. One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you within 1-2 business hours. Thank you ^MO

Tawanna Hinton

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They completed the job in a timely manner and our Pepco bill has decreased.

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Tawanna, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Sajrudin Mohammed

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service, quick installation and sticks to their words

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Sajrudin, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Marrima Hawkins

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service is excellent, they explain everything

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Marrima, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Colleen DeMarco

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Reputation and service, quality of solar panels

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Colleen, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Veronica

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It has been easy to deal with them as we acquired our solar panels. We have only been customers for a couple of months.

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Veronica, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Robert

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So far so good, no issues with Sunnova / Trinity. Installation in one day. Just a few weeks to go on-line. Very happy with power being generated. Didn't pay a dime for the system, just paying for electricity being generated. Having issues with National grid and highly estimated bills. Hope to get them resolved soon.

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Robert, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Kirk Saxton

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My solar has been out of service. I have a inverter that needs to be installed. I can't afford the $275 too have your company install it right now. I'm saving up for you too install it.

Nov 05, 2019

Hello Kirk, thank you for your feedback. One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you as soon as possible. Thank you ^MO

Mauricio

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The original guy that signed me up left the company and no one called me about the status of everything, I had to call you guys and a few things that were promised upon signing didn't happened and had to go through a manager to ok it on one those things.

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Mauricio, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that this was your experience. Could you please send us a private message with your system ID or contact number. ^MO

Nick Funari

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent work, very reliable. Communication could have been a bit better but overall very pleased.

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Nick, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Raymond Colbert

November 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good service woth feet on the ground. Excellent product workmanship!!!

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Raymond, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Cynthia Weitkamp

November 3rd, 2019 Dillsburg, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sunnova gave me the chance to purchase my solar system at a great interest rate. Never thought I would have ever been able to do this without Sunnova.

Nov 05, 2019

Good Afternoon Cynthia, Thank you for your feedback and welcome to the Sunnova family!. ^MP

J Clements

November 2nd, 2019

Installation went very smoothly and quickly. The technicians were knowledgeable and efficient. Very happy so far!

Nov 06, 2019

Hello J Clements, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Brian okiec

October 31st, 2019 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sunnova is the pitts, I have a problem with 10 panels of my 23 on my roof. The inverter says 13 of 23 reporting and they won't come out to fix it. This happened in the past and took over a year to get service. You have a choice don't pick sunnova.

Nov 01, 2019

Hello Brian Okiec, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not a typical Sunnova Experience. We do apologize and are here to help. One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you within 1-2 business hours. Thank you ^OA

Jan

October 29th, 2019 Belchertown, MA

From the very beginning, when we were approached in person by Trinity Solar professionals, we were kept informed about the process. At no cost to us, solar panels were installed and permits obtained. We are delighted with our new solar power. We are saving money and contributing to the healing of our planet.

Oct 29, 2019

Good Afternoon Jan, Thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

Colin

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good responsive customer service and reliability

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning Colin, Thank you for your positive feedback and Welcome to the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

Kelli

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst customer service I have EVER ever had to deal with.

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning Kelli, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not a typical Sunnova Experience. We do apologize and are here to help. If you could please send us a private message with your phone number/system id to . One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you within 1-2 business hours. Thank you ^MP

Duane Jahn

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sunnova professionalism at the highest level on every step of the installation process. I was in constant contact with them throughout the whole process. I would recommend them to anyone who is interested in lowering their energy footprint.

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning Duane, Thank you for your positive feedback and Welcome to the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

Anh tuan duong

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They did good a job and are prompt in there work.

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning Anh, Thank you for your positive feedback and Welcome to the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

Steven Chatelain

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sunnova is the most frustrating company I have ever had to deal with. After 3 months they still owe me a refund for $299.00. I have been promised that refund by several people including a supervisor but I have not received it to date. My list of complaints against Sunnova is extensive. I hope I never have to deal with them again.

Oct 29, 2019

Good afternoon Steven, thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not a typical Sunnova experience. We do apologize and are here to help. One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you within 1-2 business hours. Thank you!^MO

david cruz

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

very professional and accomidating with schedule and calls.

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning David, Thank you for your positive feedback and Welcome to the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

Cheryl Smith

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Actually its a little too early for me to amswer. Its only been online for about 3 wks. Was told someone would be coming by to explain how to read the meter. Still waiting on that.

Oct 29, 2019

Good Afternoon Cheryl, Thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!. If you would like assistance in obtaining Solar production numbers please send us a private message with your system id/phone number where we can reach you. One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you within 1-2 business hours . ^MP

Kenny D

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Because I was impressed by their professionalism and responsiveness.

Oct 29, 2019

Hello Kenny D, we are excited to welcome you to the Sunnova Family! We work hard to make the switch to Solar hassle-free, and we are so happy to hear your experience reflected what we strive for. We appreciate the positive feedback. Thank you!^MO

BOBBY DE GUIA

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

ALL STAFFS WERE GREAT MOST ESPECIALLY MR. JUN FERREIRA, REGRETABLY THOUGH ONE ELECTRICAL TECHNICIAN MESSED UP THE WATER LINE THAT MESSED UP OUR WATER SPRINKLER SYSTEM FOR THE LAWN.

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning Bobby, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not a typical Sunnova Experience. We do apologize and are here to help. If you could please send us a private message with your phone number/system id to . One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you within 1-2 business hours. Thank you ^MP

Jerry Wilson

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have received a red tag which to our knowledge has not been fixed

Oct 29, 2019

Hello Jerry, thank you for your feedback. We do apologize and are here to help. One of our Issue Resolutions Specialist will reach out to you shortly. Thank you!

Chris Bradley

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

the contract process is terrible, the phone staff is rude. the billing is last minute.... if I could give a 0 I would

Oct 29, 2019

Hello Chris, thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not a typical Sunnova Experience. We do apologize and are here to help. If you could please send us a private message with your phone number/system id to . One of our Issue Resolution Specialists will contact you to discuss your concerns. Thank you! ^MO

Bernice M Pomarico

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent response to complaint that solar panels were not producing but I did need to complain before problem was noted.

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning Bernice, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is not a typical Sunnova Experience. We do apologize and are glad to hear your concerns were addressed. If you have any more questions or concerns please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Thank you ^MP

Nkodev

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Dylan answered my texts and concerns immediately

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning Nkodev, Thank you for your positive feedback and Welcome To the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

julie

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

good followup, make it easy for the customers

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning Julie, Thank you for your positive feedback and Welcome To the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

Zoraida Ayala

October 29th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

because so far I have had good money savings and excellent service, if I have any questions, they answer it clearly and quickly

Oct 29, 2019

Good Morning Zoraida, Thank you for your positive feedback and Welcome to the Sunnova Family!. ^MP

Maria Palumbo

October 28th, 2019 Vincentown, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The representatives were knowledgeable, professional and pleasant. I felt I understood how the program works and what my savings would be. The solar panel installation was completed in a few hours by a wonderful team. I recommend Sunnova.

Aug 16, 2019

Hello Maria, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. So thanks for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.^MO

Jeremy

October 28th, 2019 Murrieta, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sunnova was the only company willing to provide what they do. They exceeded all expectations. We are beyond excited and thankful. Thank you Sunnova!

Nov 06, 2019

Hello Jeremy, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^OA

Jason

October 26th, 2019 Pomfret Center, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Trinity Solar & Sunnova Have been amazing and putting together our system. Their communication throughout the whole process was phenomenal. The insured that all of our questions were answered in a timely manner. Explained every detail every step of the way I would highly recommend them for any of their solar needs.

Oct 28, 2019

Hello Jason, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. So thanks for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again. Welcome to our Sunnova Family!^MO

norman hans jr

October 25th, 2019 Clementon, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

being able to tall to customer service is next to impossible.you are told there are several callers ahead of you, do you want to be called back which did't happen or stay on the line which lasted over 2 hours then disconnected. can't find anything out about case # 02328603!!!!!!!!!

Oct 25, 2019

Hello norman hans jr. Thanks for your response with the case number. I will forward your information to the appropriate department to address your concerns.^OA

Donna

October 24th, 2019 Street, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wonderful service from the very first meeting with Eric to pulling permits to installation to county approval to trouble shooting the turn on. Emails were timely and employees were friendly and courteous. We were very pleased with our experience with your company!

Oct 25, 2019

Hello Donna, thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. Welcome to our Sunnova Family!^OA

Anita Covert

October 22nd, 2019 Concord, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Update to my 9/26/2019 Review. After my 9/26 posted review, that very same day, I did get a call from a Sunnova, from Oscar- their Issue Resolution Specialist. Oscar was a pleasure to speak with and obviously did his job in escalating and resolving the issue, as I got a technician appointment on 10/14/19 and the system was fixed that same day. The issue remains- why an “issue resolution specialist” can get such quick action but their customer service representatives cannot?? The thing that bothers me is the fact that my panels had not been producing since 6/2019, but Sunnova still got their monthly lease payment from June 2019 to October 2019. On 9/26/19 Oscar mentioned that they would “suspend” my lease payment, which basically means that they will put it on hold until the system is fixed-then they will back bill you- suspending payment is not compensation. Any responsible company would do the right thing and compensate their customers. Unfortunately, we’ve already been wronged two separate times (2017 and 2019) with having to pay large monthly PG&E bills and monthly solar payments, simultaneously. I am not confident that this is the last time I’ll have a problem with my solar panels. I will post any future issues that occur so that consumers are aware and hopefully do not sign any lease contracts with Sunnova.

Sep 26, 2019

Hello Anita Covert, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear about your experience with your system issues. We'll escalate your note to the appropriate department to have one of our Issue Resolution Specialist to give you a call within 30 minutes. ^OA

Laura Hoffman

October 21st, 2019 Muncy, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good service, excellent customer service

Ashley Hamblin

October 21st, 2019 Lebanon, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lack of communication, system has retired and been off line more than on and producing

Oct 21, 2019

Hello Ashley, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that this was your hold time experience. Could you please send us a private message with your system or contact number. We will escalate your concern to the appropriate department to contact you.^MO

Paolo bennici

October 21st, 2019 Staten Island, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very effective and fast with all the paper work

Oct 21, 2019

Hello Paolo, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

manny rifon

October 21st, 2019 Lodi, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

unable to contact antone by phone waited over 1 hour 3 days in a row left call back number never rec'd cal backl

Oct 21, 2019

Hello Manny, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that this was your hold time experience. Could you please send us a private message with your system ID or contact number. We will escalate your concern to the appropriate department to contact you^MO

Nelson longley

October 21st, 2019 Waterford, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Fast service Matt a great representative for sunnova explaing everything concerning solar panels

Oct 21, 2019

Hello Nelson, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Moira Turnan Hannon

October 21st, 2019 Putnam, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good communication; courteous, no pressure service

Oct 21, 2019

Good Morning Moira, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO