Solar Energy World

7.4

Solar Energy World has performed thousands of custom solar installations since opening its doors in 2009 and is one of the fastest growing, locally owned and operated solar companies on the east coast. Currently, the company serves Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Florida, and the DC metro area.

Committed to protecting the environment, reducing carbon dioxide emissions, and promoting clean, renewable energy, Solar Energy World provides sustainable energy solutions for homeowners that include high quality products guaranteed to operate efficiently and remain safe for the environment over their entire lifetime.

The clean energy company takes pride in its turnkey approach to solar power and handles every step of the process from planning to installation.

The Good

• Straightforward Solar Process
  • Variety of Payment Options
  • High Quality Solar Power Equipment
  • Remote System Monitoring
  • Comprehensive Warranty
  • Paperwork Assistance
  • Experienced In-House Installers
  • Referral Program

Straightforward Solar Process

Solar Energy World strives to make the solar panel installation process as smooth and simple as possible for its customers:

• Energy audit — first, a Solar Energy World representative will provide a free solar analysis and share information about incentives, payment options, and more.
  • Site survey — once the customer has received an analysis and decided to move forward, a certified Solar Energy World technician will visit the home to confirm measurements and energy savings, as well as ensure that the appropriate permits have been acquired.
  • Permitting and design — then, Solar Energy World will complete any necessary paperwork.
  • Solar installation — after that, the company will start on the installation, which is usually completed within two to three days.
  • Final inspection and activation — once the system is installed, Solar Energy World will set up the final inspection with the appropriate municipality or utility company and ensure the customer's system is properly connected to the grid.

Variety of Payment Options

Solar Energy World currently offers three different payment options: outright purchase, loan, and PPA.

Customers who choose to pay for their system in full or take advantage of Solar Energy World's financing will have the opportunity to cash in on Solar Renewable Energy Credits (SRECs) and other federal and state incentives. The average return-on-investment for customers who purchase their systems is typically around 125 percent within 5 to 7 years. In 20 years, homeowners who purchase solar can expect to see a 500 percent ROI.

Customers who choose to go the PPA route can have a system installed on their roof for $0 down. Solar PPA customers will simply pay for the energy being produced by the panels on their roof at a rate of at least 20 percent less than their current monthly electric bill.

High Quality Solar Power Equipment

Solar Energy World has stated that it only installs high-efficiency, best-in-class solar PV panels engineered in Germany, China, and the United States. The company mostly uses solar cells from Silfab, LONGi Solaris, Hanwha Q CELLS, and REC Solar, with inverters from SolarEdge, Enphase, and Fronius.

Both ground mount and rooftop solar systems are available, and each system is custom designed by Solar Energy World's in-house engineers to fit the customer's unique energy needs.

Remote System Monitoring

Solar Energy World remotely monitors every solar system it installs to ensure that the systems are performing correctly. If there is ever a problem with a customer's system, the company will alert them and schedule a service to get things worked out.

In addition to remote monitoring service, Solar Energy World provides each customer with access to monitoring technology so they can check in on their system production and electricity consumption themselves. Customers can access the platform from anywhere in the world using a web-enabled device such as a smartphone, tablet, or computer and see how much power their system is generating in real-time, as well as how much electricity the system has produced over its life.

Comprehensive Warranty

Solar Energy World provides a comprehensive warranty on the installation of all the solar equipment it installs. The length of the installation warranty is dependent upon the warranty of the equipment manufacturer and goes up to 25 years.

Panel and inverter manufacturers provide a warranty on the performance of the solar panels and inverters.

Paperwork Assistance

Solar Energy World takes care of all paperwork and permits for its customers to make sure that the process is hassle-free and the customer receives all tax credits, rebates, and grants that they are entitled to.

Experienced In-House Installers

Solar Energy World does not outsource any of its installations or use subcontractors; instead, all of the company's installers work directly for and are accountable to Solar Energy World to ensure that customers receive superior service. The company's solar installers and crew leaders have had years of prior experience and received intensive solar panel installation training.

Further, during the solar panel installation process, crews are supervised by a Solar Energy World NABCEP-certified solar designer and installer, as well as a Solar Energy World licensed master electrician.

Referral Program

Solar Energy World offers a referral program that even non-customers can participate in. Those who are customers of Solar Energy World can receive $500 for each referral who installs a solar system that is 6 kW or larger and $300 for each referral who installs a 4 kW to 5 kW system.

Non-customers will receive $250 for each referral who installs a solar system that is 6 kW or larger and $150 for each referral who installs a 4 kW to 5 kW system. There is no cap on referrals, so an individual may refer as many people as they wish.

Interested in doing business with Solar Energy World? Click here for more information.

The Bad

Limited Availability

Solar Energy World only offers its services in Maryland, New Jersey, Washington D.C., Florida, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. So if you live elsewhere, you won't be able to do business with Solar Energy World. While being a local provider has its advantages, it also greatly reduces the number of consumers who have access to the company's services.

The Bottom Line

Solar Energy World has over a decade of experience in the solar industry and strives to make the installation process as smooth as possible for its customers. The renewable energy company offers a number of attractive features, including multiple payment options, high quality equipment, an in-house team of certified installers, system monitoring, a comprehensive warranty, and a referral program. Solar Energy World even offers paperwork assistance, which makes the customer experience simple and hassle-free. Solar Energy World is recommended to consumers who live within its service area.

Call our recommended rep over at Solar Energy World below.

Brian V

Overall, I think this is a good company to work with- I reviewed solar providers and shopped around quite a bit before signing with them, and their employees are hard working with good intentions. My rating is skewed on the low end, however, because the installed system delivers approx 20% lower kWh than promised when i signed because the original estimate greatly overestimated the number of panels that could be placed on the southern-facing roof. When this was discussed with me prior to install, the discussion focused entirely on the aesthetics of panel placement on the house, and I was not informed that the production would be less and would no longer cover my annual power consumption. Solar Energy World finally explained this to me 6 months later when I called to ask why production was less than expected. They apologized profusely for the "poor communication", but could not provide any remedy, claiming that their production warranties are tied to the number of panels purchased, and not the annual production estimate that was at the top of my contract. I do not believe the company was intentionally misleading- they make deliver good products and the install looks great- but the lack of communication in my specific situation and unwillingness to remedy the lower than anticipated energy production are the reasons I cannot recommend them quite as highly to my friends and neighbors as I did before.

Reply from Solar Energy World

We apologize that your experience was not optimum and assure you this is not typical of the customer feedback we usually receive. Please let us know how we can resolve any issues you may have.

Ceria Mitchell Hanover, MD

The installation team were really really good. They showed up on time and were very courteous and clean. They got the job done. I haven't had to pay any electricity bills other than the connection fee. However I was very dissatisfied to learn that they botched the paperwork for me to get my county credit this year. I should've gotten $2500 off my property taxes but some of the forms they sent out weren't reaching my county and they knew it. They claimed that they submitted these forms in November but didn't follow up with me. I found out because I had to pay those $2500 when I wasn't expecting to. I would rather they had said they didn't have the paperwork so I could've done it myself. Don't rely on them for paperwork.

Joseph

The help that they promised to provide never happened and the efforts they did to redo my roof ended up a leaky roof. Installation was done quickly possibly too quickly. I had the roof redone and arranged for by Solar Energy World sales personnel; however, not using Solar Energy employees which were not capable in the problems of as afar as value of installation. The actual solar installation also went fairly quickly. As it turns out my roof was rather small so it will take a little longer to earn back any of the expense for the material in the energy saving that come from the installation.

Arlene Olney, MD

We were very impressed with the salesman. We had a problem with a leak in our roof, but they found it had been a raccoon that had gotten under our roof tiles and they were able to diagnose and quickly fix the problem. We haven't had a single problem since then. One thing I don't like is that they have an optional service charge that's $800. We haven't once done it, and haven't had any problems. I wonder why they have that bait and switch to get more money out of you. The solar really does reduce our energy bills.

Bill rutter

They never explain to us that if we don't make enough deductions we would not get our $8,000 or $7,000 back from the federal government in other words if you don't pay in enough tax then the government is not going to give you the money back for going solar

Joseph Guarrillo Silver Spring, MD

I picked them since they had a good price. Their management team was a bit slow but the installation was adequate. I have seen a reduction in my bills, though they should bee more responsive and have more accurate estimates.

Ruben Silver Spring, MD

We decided to go solar through the Montgomery Co-op of Solar United Neighbors since we got a better price and warranty. Solar Energy World was the company selected by the co-op to install our 9Kw/30 panels solar system. We had a very poor experience with the company and in particular with their solar analysts. The two solar analysts who worked on our project showed a incredible lack of knowledge and customer care. Our first solar analyst, Mr. Jay R quoted us for a much bigger system (44 panels/13.2kW) that what we actually needed and he had a hard time following up with us. We had to ask the CEO of the company to work with another solar analyst. The second one, Mr. Bryan H was better following up, but did not demonstrate the proper knowledge regarding roof penetrations and his way to answer our questions was really condescending to a point that we were afraid to ask. Even when we requested a second meeting to review the project prior to the installation, he claimed that he did not have time to meet with customers more than once and this is the way that the company works. It should be noted that Mr. H is the Vice-president of sales of the company. Regarding the roof penetrations, we needed a new roof before installing our solar panels, so I mentioned to Mr. H that the roof company could mark the location of the trusses where the solar array is attached since I did not want extra new holes in our brand new roof. Mr. H told us that was not needed since the company uses a method to exactly locate the trusses by measuring and chalking roof. The day of the installation we discovered that the company actually uses echo location to locate the rafters (i.e. they tap with a mallet or a hammer and roughly locate the trusses solely by the sound), as one can imagine with this method it is really easy to miss the trusses. As a result, we ended up with a bunch of holes in our new roof that they had to caulk. I recommend to CEO that his company should invest in proper electronic truss finders to avoid this problem. The company only measures and chalks roof trusses in situations where they cannot identify the trusses from above the roof with a mallet. We were really surprised that the Vice-president of sales was not aware of it. We could have avoided all those extra penetrations in our roof. Mr. H also omitted to tell us that the company charges an extra fee to finance the system of roughly $2000 (apart from the money that goes to the loan interest) which would not have been charged if we paid cash. Finally and not least, he encouraged us to turn on our system before passing the county inspection. Thankfully we did not do it since the crew that installed our system told us that could cause the electric company to charge us twice (for the energy that we consume and the one that we produce) since we needed a new meter that knows the amount of electricity that we are producing. The company never gave us a detailed report of the project (for instance the specifications of the solar panels and the inverter, where things will be located and how the condos would be run) prior to the installation, even when we asked for that information. After the installation I got the specs of the solar panels and the inverter after a direct request to the CEO of the company. Furthermore the company never gave us or even offered the manual of the inverter. In contrast, the crew members that did the installation were very professional, they replied to all of my questions and they spent a good amount of time explaining things to us. The CEO of the company is aware of these issues. A solar system is quite a big investment and we believe that we deserved better customer care from Solar Energy World even when we are part of a co-op. We would like to add that we received several calls from Mr. Geoff M, the CEO of the company, after this review had been publicly released. The company took our complaints very seriously and we are optimistic that the chain of mistakes that make us fall through all the cracks that the company had will never happen again to any other customer. It is unfortunate that we are the first and most likely the last and only bad experience that a customer will have with the solar analysts of Solar Energy World. We believe that Mr. M will take measures to prevent an unfortunate case like ours by improving the techniques that his company uses to locate the roof trusses, and the quality, knowledge and customer care of his solar analysts.

Reply from Solar Energy World

We value your business and are glad your concerns were addressed and that you are ultimately satisfied with your experience. Please know that 95% of our customers have given us outstanding reviews, so we are sorry your experience was not up to par. Per the conversation you had with our CEO, Geoff Mirkin, rest assured that we will be there for you should any other issues arrive.

Sep. 20th, 2018

Rodolfo Windsor Mill, MD

The sales man was very convincing, but I have not received any support after installation. The system is not producing as much energy as they promised.

Shahid Bowie, MD

Their price should come down a little, it's kind of high. But my experience with them was good, they were helpful and now I know the expenses better.

Reply from Solar Energy World

We appreciate the feedback.

Thomas Schultz Ridgely, MD

Project Management team is okay and installations were good. But I haven't seen any beneftis from using the solar energy system. My feedback is to find another company

Kenneth Glen Burnie, MD

The longer we have it the more we dislike it. They shouldn't do the public an injustice and say they're going to install them free.

Bethany Radin Catonsville, MD

Never returned my email. Very disappointing because I love the actual solar panels

albert c burns

Business practices related to undefined charges.

Jerome Stevens 20744

rep. was not clear in regards to the sun run charge

Douglas Cohn

Much of what I was told has not happened.

Randy McCue New Market, MD

They canceled on me the day before without coming out to look at my house or talk to me in person.

Reply from Solar Energy World

We use extremely accurate satellite information as well as other tools to determine a homeowners eligibility. Unfortunately. The studies showed that IF we were to put solar on that home, the solar electricity would be minimal and the owner would then pay MUCH more than their current electricity cost. Of course we would love the opportunity to have another installation BUT in this particular case…there would be no energy guarantee and an added cost to you.

Aug. 15th, 2018