Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

8.6

a month ago

Solar Energy World

verified
Solar Energy World offers property owners a complete turnkey solution to solar power

Solar Energy World has performed thousands of custom installations since opening its doors in 2009 and is one of the fastest growing, locally owned and operated solar companies in Maryland, New Jersey, and the DC metro area. Committed to protecting the environment and promoting clean, renewable energy, Solar Energy World provides sustainable energy solutions for homeowners that include high quality products guaranteed to operate efficiently and remain safe for the environment over their entire lifetime.

The Good

• Variety of Payment Options
  • High Quality Equipment
  • Paperwork Assistance

Variety of Payment Options

Solar Energy World currently offers three different payment options: outright purchase, loan, and PPA. Customers who choose to pay for their system in full or take advantage of Solar Energy World's financing will have the opportunity to cash in on Solar Renewable Energy Credits (SRECs) and other federal and state incentives. The average return-on-investment for customers who purchase their systems is typically around 125 percent within 5 to 7 years. In 20 years, homeowners who purchase solar can expect to see a 500 percent ROI. Customers who choose to go the PPA route can have a system installed on their roof for $0 down. Solar PPA customers will simply pay for the energy being produced by the panels on their roof at a rate of at least 20 percent less than their current monthly electric bill.

High Quality Equipment

Solar Energy World has stated that it only installs high-efficiency, best-in-class solar PV panels engineered in Germany, China, and the United States. The company mostly uses products from Hanwa, LG, REC, and Trina. Both rooftop and ground mount systems are available, and each system is custom designed by Solar Energy World's in-house engineers to fit the customer's unique energy needs. Additionally, Solar Energy World never hires subcontractors in order to ensure that its customers receive superior service. This means that every person who works on your system is a direct employee of Solar Energy World.

Paperwork Assistance

Solar Energy World takes care of all paperwork and permits for its customers to make sure that the process is hassle-free and the customer receives all tax incentives, rebates, and grants that they are entitled to.

Interested in doing business with Solar Energy World? Click here for more information.

The Bad

Limited Availability

Solar Energy World only offers its services in Maryland, New Jersey, and Washington D.C., so if you live elsewhere, you won't be able to do business with Solar Energy World. While being a local provider has its advantages, it also greatly reduces the number of consumers who have access to the company's services.

The Bottom Line

Solar Energy World has over eight years of experience in the solar industry and offers multiple payment options and high quality equipment. The company even offers paperwork assistance, which makes the customer experience simple and hassle-free. Solar Energy World is recommended to consumers who live within its service area of Maryland, New Jersey, and Washington D.C.

Call our recommended rep over at Solar Energy World below.

XJ
October 4th, 2018 Clarksburg, MD DETAILS

My agent Wyatt was down to earth, spent 3-4 hrs answering all my questions and got us additional discount. We are happy with our deal and are looking forward to the installation. This company provides the best warranty: 20-25 yrs for panel, inverter, and installation work.

Ruben
October 1st, 2018 Silver Spring, MD DETAILS

We decided to go solar through the Montgomery Co-op of Solar United Neighbors since we got a better price and warranty. Solar Energy World was the company selected by the co-op to install our 9Kw/30 panels solar system. We had a very poor experience with the company and in particular with their solar analysts. The two solar analysts who worked on our project showed a incredible lack of knowledge and customer care. Our first solar analyst, Mr. Jay R quoted us for a much bigger system (44 panels/13.2kW) that what we actually needed and he had a hard time following up with us. We had to ask the CEO of the company to work with another solar analyst. The second one, Mr. Bryan H was better following up, but did not demonstrate the proper knowledge regarding roof penetrations and his way to answer our questions was really condescending to a point that we were afraid to ask. Even when we requested a second meeting to review the project prior to the installation, he claimed that he did not have time to meet with customers more than once and this is the way that the company works. It should be noted that Mr. H is the Vice-president of sales of the company. Regarding the roof penetrations, we needed a new roof before installing our solar panels, so I mentioned to Mr. H that the roof company could mark the location of the trusses where the solar array is attached since I did not want extra new holes in our brand new roof. Mr. H told us that was not needed since the company uses a method to exactly locate the trusses by measuring and chalking roof. The day of the installation we discovered that the company actually uses echo location to locate the rafters (i.e. they tap with a mallet or a hammer and roughly locate the trusses solely by the sound), as one can imagine with this method it is really easy to miss the trusses. As a result, we ended up with a bunch of holes in our new roof that they had to caulk. I recommend to CEO that his company should invest in proper electronic truss finders to avoid this problem. The company only measures and chalks roof trusses in situations where they cannot identify the trusses from above the roof with a mallet. We were really surprised that the Vice-president of sales was not aware of it. We could have avoided all those extra penetrations in our roof. Mr. H also omitted to tell us that the company charges an extra fee to finance the system of roughly $2000 (apart from the money that goes to the loan interest) which would not have been charged if we paid cash. Finally and not least, he encouraged us to turn on our system before passing the county inspection. Thankfully we did not do it since the crew that installed our system told us that could cause the electric company to charge us twice (for the energy that we consume and the one that we produce) since we needed a new meter that knows the amount of electricity that we are producing. The company never gave us a detailed report of the project (for instance the specifications of the solar panels and the inverter, where things will be located and how the condos would be run) prior to the installation, even when we asked for that information. After the installation I got the specs of the solar panels and the inverter after a direct request to the CEO of the company. Furthermore the company never gave us or even offered the manual of the inverter. In contrast, the crew members that did the installation were very professional, they replied to all of my questions and they spent a good amount of time explaining things to us. The CEO of the company is aware of these issues. A solar system is quite a big investment and we believe that we deserved better customer care from Solar Energy World even when we are part of a co-op. We would like to add that we received several calls from Mr. Geoff M, the CEO of the company, after this review had been publicly released. The company took our complaints very seriously and we are optimistic that the chain of mistakes that make us fall through all the cracks that the company had will never happen again to any other customer. It is unfortunate that we are the first and most likely the last and only bad experience that a customer will have with the solar analysts of Solar Energy World. We believe that Mr. M will take measures to prevent an unfortunate case like ours by improving the techniques that his company uses to locate the roof trusses, and the quality, knowledge and customer care of his solar analysts.

Solar Energy World Logo

Reply from Solar Energy World

Sharon DerbySep 20, 2018

We value your business and are glad your concerns were addressed and that you are ultimately satisfied with your experience. Please know that 95% of our customers have given us outstanding reviews, so we are sorry your experience was not up to par. Per the conversation you had with our CEO, Geoff Mirkin, rest assured that we will be there for you should any other issues arrive.

William
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They're quite attentive. The installation was very easy, and the quality of the equipment is very good.

anonymous
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They were very responsive to my questions and provided whatever information I needed. They came in the morning explained what they were going to do and covered any concerns I may have had and then installed and they were done by mid mid afternoon. It's all working well, no complaints and it's been a year and a half.

Jim
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

We're still waiting on them to fix something. They took care of everything, it was hands off for us. It's been running for several years now.

Betsy
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They were they would put solar on the cedar shake roof a lot of people won't used cedar shake roofs. Any issues or problems that we have they've address immediately and were always very courteous and helpful. It went smoothly no problems, we didn't have to be home and they cleaned up after themselves it was very smooth.

Lawrence
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

It took longer to do part of the operation when I saw it and then I had to do some follow up which wasn't good. I have no trouble with my system now. I had to have the panels removed and they were pulled off and put in the wrong place when I wasn't there.

Robert
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

Everything was done when they said it would be and the installation was very smooth. We've had zero issues with it, it just works.

Chuong
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They are responsive and they call me back. I'm having trouble with the solar system which cannot be solved so I'm not happy with it.

Carman
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The price of the overall package and panel and also the size of the panel are why we chose Solar Energy World. The panels are larger with Solar Energy World than they are with some of the other companies.Great customer service, very professional very personable people you want to deal with. We had no issues with the installation process that was very, very smooth.

William
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They answer all my questions and take care of what we need to do. The installation was fine and efficient and it works very well.

Doug
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

We like the quality of the panels. Brian our salesman was with us every step of the way. They were pretty responsive when it was going and it took a little longer than I thought it was going to take but they got it done by my deadline so I was appreciative of that.

Daniel
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They were one of the only local companies that was able to put the panels somewhere besides my roof. They always gave me feedback and let me know what was going on. They did what they said they were going to do.

David
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

Pat our salesman was very forthcoming in giving us information on solar panels and installation and costs and benefits. They're very responsive to any concerns we had. Our installation went very smooth.

Darryl
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They were very responsive to the questions and issues that I had and resolved them. The installation was doen well and there were no problems.

George
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

Their customer service is great because they don't contract anything out. The installation process took three days and they communicated with me before and after, it was flawless. I spent a lot of time designing it with my salesman and I was very happy with the way the design came out. I actually went to the warehouse and looked at the different panels and was able to choose one I wanted.

Chrissy
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The installation was done very neatly and easily. They're a friendly company.

Cathryn
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The installation was done 6 or 7 years ago, and we were told that the roof was in good shape. However, The roof ended up having to be replaced and the panels taken off. The panels have worked well, however the problem is with the initial installation.

Georgia
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They had to cut one of my trees for the installation which I was not expecting. I would've preffered a landscape company to do that. They worked with me to get the panels installed how I wanted them.

Peter
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

We had some difficulty with the installation, but it was still fairly smooth. The performance of the panels has been good.

Francisco
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The installation process was great. I'm very happy with my system.

Darrell
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I didn't have to come up with any money to have it installed on my house. I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Eric
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

Whenever there was an issue they immediately took care of it. The installation was extremely smooth, it was a one day install and they explained exactly what was going to happen throughout the day they stayed to their time line and the thing went perfectly. Their equipment had all the options, they chose the best equipment on my behalf and it has performed exactly as predicted. They constantly keep in touch to ask me how everything is going.

Steve
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The installation was very smooth. They were at the house for just one day. My salesperson O'brien was outstanding.

Mark
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The equipment was top of the line. The whole thing was done in a week. They always get the problem fixed the day of.

Mario
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They explained to me how it works and gave me a lot of info. The installation was good and fast. I don't have any problems with the equipment.

Tom
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I got a lot of recommendations that they were a good company. There were a couple situations where I had to kind of call back and follow up with them because I was waiting on things and they they didn't call me when they were supposed to and it took a long time to get it worked out. I'm not seeing all the savings that they promised me.

Kevin
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I had one issue that took a long time and many calls to different numbers to get it fixed. After we got the right part that was the only issue I had. I saw that in 10 years we'll be getting our money back from the panels.

Dr.
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The salesman gave me all the details and all the facts about the solar energy on how they could install the thing and how would it affect you, and everything proves to be true. The installation was very smooth. The customer support has been great for my family.

Michael
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They were able to answer to accommodate all my preferences or options that I requested and they were able to give me the maximum amount of ability to generate power on my cell because we are hoping to get electric bills in the future so they were able to get that. They were very careful with the roof during the installation, which took 2-3 days max.

Gary
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The few times that we've needed customer support or technical support they were always quick to respond. The installation was very methodic and well done.

Richard
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They were very responsive to my questions and were available to make possible design adjustments for my request and very flexible just in in all aspects of the installation. the installation process went very smoothly, they arrived promptly on time. They are very professional, treated my house with respect and my family with respect and moved around us and we did have an issue where they had stepped through part of the ceiling and they were out the very next day to inspect and repair that and it looks as as if nothing ever happened.

Peter
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The customer support is very good. I talked with Brent and he was pretty responsive. The installation was smooth.

Paula
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They were great on the installation, very responsive, very clear. They cleaned up after themselves, there were some delays because of slow communication but it was still very good. It seems to work really well we're actually producing more than they had anticipated. Its just a great company.

Johnson
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They always take care of you. Whenever we need their help we just call them and they take care of it. We have a ground mount and it's extra heavy duty for the wind and the installation was very technical in relation with all the wires in underground and everything else that goes on. They did their tunneling through some very difficult places to get the wires in they got the panels up and did an excellent job.

Mary
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

When I've called them I've never had an issue with them either contacting me, or had any problems and they have the right information that I need when I call or contact them. The installation was very professional and smooth. I've never had an issue with them.

Marc
September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I was recommended and the salesperson was very helpful. They've been very very pleasant to deal with. The installation was very good, very smooth, very easy. The installers were were great and they were very friendly, cordial, and clean. There was some bad weather one day and they they couldn't finish because of the roof with icy but they just came back next day and took pick up right where they left off and it was just a very pleasant experience.

September 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The salesman gave a good presentation. The installation was not what I expected, the only thing that saved it was when I had an issue they responded quickly.

Joel
September 12th, 2018 Stevensville, MD DETAILS

I had particular ideas of what I wanted and they were able to accomodate it. There haven't been any issues with it since they've installed it and it's been a while. I wasn't able to negotiate the cost of it.

Thomas
September 12th, 2018 Myersville, MD DETAILS

Talking with the sales person who came out, we had talked to several different companies and he seemed to be the most knowledgeable, most helpful, and we thought he had the best offer. When we've needed to contact them they have returned our calls and they have gotten back to us. Several issues have taken a little time to get resolved but they were persistent about it and they were resolved.