Best Company Guarantee Smart Wave Solar Logo

Smart Wave Solar

8.8

LAST UPDATED: February 1st, 2023

Based in Bluffdale, Utah, Smart Wave Solar is a solar system provider that promises to provide homeowners with low prices, premium solar panels with a 25-year warranty, and more. Since its founding in 2015, Smart Wave Solar has sought to differentiate itself from competitors by promoting a no-pressure sales culture and building reliable solar panel systems that still work even during a power outage.

Smart Wave Solar is an industry pioneer, and has even filed its own patent for a protected power source system and method for safely obtaining power from the solar array during a grid outage.

The Good

• NABCEP Certified
  • In-House Fulfillment
  • Competitive Warranties
  • Top-Level Equipment

NABCEP Certified

Smart Wave Solar has been certified by the the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP). The NABCEP is an industry-recognized organization that authors some of the most rigorous certification programs in solar. A certication from this body conveys true expertise in solar technology and installation.

In-House Fulfillment

Smart Wave Solar offers 100 percent in-house fulfillment on every solar installation. This means the company does not subcontract the installation process to another local company, but is instead actively engaged in every step of the process — from initial consultation, to system design, to installation by its certified team of solar experts, to activation and post-installation monitoring.

Conducting in-house fulfillment gives Utah customers consistent and reliable points of contact throughout their solar installation process, and also ensures a high-quality solar array.

Competitive Warranties

Smart Wave Solar also offers some of the best and most robusts warranties in the industry. The company's industry-leading 25-year equipment warranty, is a promise from the manufacturer(s) that all the solar equipment used in the solar PV system (solar panels, solar inverters, rooftop racking equipment, backup battery storage, etc.) is guaranteed to operate at peak performance for the projected lifetime of the system, 25 years.

In addition to the equipment warranty, Smart Wave Solar also provides customers with its own 25-year workmanship, or labor warranty. A workmanship warranty protects the solar energy system against defects caused by faulty equipment, roof damage, or errors committed during the installation process. While such events are rare, the presence of a 25-year warranty should give customers additional peace of mind.

Top-Level Equipment

Smart Wave Solar builds its solar panel systems with top-of-the-line solar panels, inverters, and backup batteries, and makes disclosures on its preferred manufacturing partners. Panel offerings are supplied by industry leaders like REC Solar, Solaria, and Silfab, whose panels all rank highly for energy efficiency, as well as their robust product warranties.

Inverter options are provided by SMA and Enphase, both respected names in solar. Most solar stops working when the power goes out, but Smart Wave has a patented system that can provide you with emergency power for no extra cost.

As for energy storage options, Smart Wave Solar has partnered with sonnen and is a member of sonnen's Wattsmart battery program in the state of Utah, which networks sonnen battery owners with other residential battery owners throughout the state, creating a distributed energy supply built on clean energy that can be accessed in the event of a power grid failure.

The Bad

Vague Financing Disclosures

Beyond stating that customers have the option to purchase or finance their systems, Smart Wave Solar does not disclose specific financing options prior to customers asking for a bid. In the state of Utah, customers can go solar in an number of ways: solar purchase, solar loans, solar leases, or power purchase agreements (PPA). Each of these options carry inherent advantages depending on the homeowner's budget and energy needs. Removing the requirement to ask for a bid before this information is disclosed will empower customers to compare solar companies and determine the best one for them.

The Bottom Line

Smart Wave Solar has a lot to offer. Its in-house fulfillment promise and 25-year warranties suggest the company installs quality systems that are built to last. Providing customers with more information, specifically financing options, at the discovery phase of the installation process could be the difference-maker in the customer's final decision.

Call our recommended rep over at Smart Wave Solar below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Carol Commerce City, CO

They had the best plan I found after researching several firms. Their support has been good. I wish I had known a little more about some of the hidden fees associated with being hooked up to and using power back from United Power Cooperative. I also realize that with persisting snow on the roof and my roof having a low pitch, I don't seem to be able to generate much electricity in the winter.

Gene Arvada, CO

I received a top of the line system for what I think was good price. I chose to have it installed with a flexible time frame and it was broken up into quite a few installation pieces. Since they were new to Colorado there were several new employees training at each spot of the installation. The system has worked fine for about six months now and is performing above the expectations.

Steve Wood Layton, UT

The best Ask for Celia and Jayne. We looked at 6 companies and got bids. They work around everything. They coordinate needs. We put a new roof on and the worked with the contractors. We did cash and they gave amazing discounts and worked to make sure everything came through them as required. This is the best, now stay clear of Vivant and Freedom Forever. DANGEROUS. We did not go with them. They force a signed doc to get an onsite inspection and a quote. Their sales people told us things that are not in the contract. We cancelled in 36 hours. 6 months later they are demanding $3,000.00 for items the contract said they would pick up…. All items are in the box’s and new! Stay clear of Vivant and Freedom Forever. When you go with Smart Wave Solar, you have the best by far. Just look at the ratings. They will make anything right! SW/SLC

Stephen Hastings Sandy, UT

Great company to do business with. Smart Wave Solar is very well organized and proficient. The whole operation worked just the way they explained it would. Everyone was good at what their part was in the whole project. I would definitely do business with them again!!

Connor Barlow Los Angeles, CA

was a huge fan of Smart Wave Solar and actually referred them to others but then the installation happened. All the plans were approved but during the install it was discovered that they needed to change the location of our main panel and nothing was communicated to me beforehand. In the words of Rocky Mountain Power "New meter panel location was not reviewed or discussed with appropriate RMP agents prior to installation. New meter panel location has created new clearance violations that do not meet Electric Service Requirements. The service line is too close to the roof and is exceeding the maximum length across the roof." This violation was corrected and everything is correct now. Through this process I felt Smart Wave Solar was quick to blame others, slow to apologize or take responsibility and unprofessional. The best example I can give you is this, I left my house while they were correcting the height of the powerline. I had to run back to get something and decided to see how everything was going. When I got to the crew I noticed they were using my ladder. I asked the 3 techs if it was my ladder and 2 said yes and 1 said no. Then one continued to explain why they needed to use it and no apology was given for using it without asking. I am easy going and wouldn't have had an issue if they communicated it to me. In the end, two thirds of your experience will be great but the one third has potential to ruin it and it was ruined for me.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Connor, I'm terribly sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced. I know that one of the owners (Gary) reached out to this customer to help out with the issues he's been experiencing, from what I understand, they were able to have a good conversation. I'll post an update when I have one.

Robert Salt Lake City, UT

We liked the product and a non-pushy salesperson who educated us through the process. The financing is horrible, we are paying the highest interest ever but it is all up front so it is added to the tax refund and then you pay %1.5 after that. Not sure it is completely legal how it is presented. It isn't until after you find out if you don't give them 13K, what they think your tax refund will be your payment will go up another $40/month. I wish I would have searched harder for another lender.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Robert, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with the financing of your solar purchase. The loan you used is how the vast majority of solar lenders structure their loans. It's the industry standard. I'm a numbers guy, so I've compared a variety of different loan options side by side, and it's extremely difficult to find a loan that will cost less (all things considered) than you loan you got. Even a HELOC often costs more in the long run than the solar loan you chose. I'm also sorry if it wasn't more clearly communicated upfront that the rates quoted to you assumed that you would be contributing your tax credit towards paying down the loan. We try to make that clear upfront through verbal communication, but as a full-proof backup plan, we make sure it is spelled out really well in the loan agreement in a way that customers can acknowledge they understand and don't just miss. I feel confident that if you had searched for other loans, you would have found out just how competitive this loan is, even compared to personal loans, HELOCs, and other solar loans. At the end of the day though, we are happy to help facilitate whatever financing method a customer chooses, whether it's paying cash, using one of the solar loans we recommend, or securing their own financing. We don't make money on the loans. We just try to provide the best options we've found to help customers make the transition to clean energy. We're here to help if you ever need anything.

Jerry Bishop Orem, UT

Smart Wave Solar were very professional and friendly throughout the process of arranging for the installation and operation of solar panels. I would recommend them to others interesting in going with solar panels.

Doug Salt Lake City, UT

Solar does not cover or replace your electrical cost. I'm still paying a major Rocky Mtn. power bill as well as the loan payment for the solar. The company gives a spiel that is not reality, and you will end up paying your power bill along with the loan for you solar set up. Disappointed with the results. As part of my deal I was given a Ecoflow battery generator, and it was defective, didn't work, and now I'm dealing with getting it replaced. Not happy! Do your homework before you invest.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Doug, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing. If you haven't done so already, please reach out to [email protected] We offer a written production guarantee in your agreement which will specify how much your solar panels should produce. If we don't meet that number, we'll fix your system, add panels for free, and/or compensate you financially for the loss as outlined our production guarantee. Our support team can help you with this. I'm also sorry to hear about the Ecoflow battery issue. We've sold a lot of those batteries for many years, and the number of complaints we've received has been very minimal, however, Ecoflow has always been great with warranty claims. You can also reach out to [email protected] if you need help with that warranty claim.

Benjamin Brownlow Spanish Fork, UT

Customer Review Video

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Benjamin, thank you for sharing your experience for future customers. We appreciate your business.

May. 27th, 2022

Ron Randquist Spanish Fork, UT

We had a great experience with Smart Wave Solar. Our Sales person was knowledgeable and gave good recommendations that made sense and were verifiable with other sources. They listened to our needs and we ended up with a system sized right for us. The Installation was fantastic, good communication from the project manager and all the teams that worked on our home. When an issue arose they let us know and worked out of the box to find a solution.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

We appreciate your business Ron. It was a pleasure working with you!

May. 25th, 2022

Allen Larry South Jordan, UT

They performed everything as promised and I am happy to review them and indicate that I am satisfied and we have seen a dramatic drop in our electrical bill. For most of the time we were working prior to finishing the solar installation Heather was our liaison and she was absolutely fantastic we really appreciated Heather she kept me informed answered my questions it was great to deal with her. Also Randy our sales person did an excellent job I would recommend him to anyone to help them with their solar.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Allen, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for future customers. It was a pleasure working with you.

May. 25th, 2022

Bardomiano Bountiful, UT

Really good Company, great team always great customer service and Steve at Sales Department the number one.

Andrew C Johnson Kaysville, UT

With all of the different steps involved in putting a solar system on the roof of your house, you would expect a few issues to come up. We had 2. They were resolved almost instantaneously. Analee was our project manager, and she handled every step beautifully. This was a 4 month process, but it felt like much less. Not a scrap left in our yard from the panel installation. Almost daily emails to update us on the progress, and the next step. We even got to throw the switch ourselves, after the new meter was hooked up by the power company. The end result: A fixed electric bill for the rest of our lives. Also, constant monitoring by Smart Wave, to stay on top of any possible issues. From sales, to management, to technicians, this is a first class operation.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Hi Andrew, Thank you so much for this kind review! It absolutely makes our day to hear that you had such a good experience with us. We take pride in walking our clients carefully through the whole process and always keeping them in the loop

Gary Orem, UT

I did some research and the panels had a longer life than others. That way I don't have to worry about changing them. The system is still pretty expensive, but I like the ability to get solar power plus we also got a battery as part of the deal. Also, you guys are the only ones in our state that allowed power to be taken from the solar panels when the grid was down, that was something I really wanted. I really liked the sales guy. He was not high pressure and just told us all the stats and let me decide. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I appreciated that and he did a good job of answering my technical questions. The project manager kept track of everything for me and helped us get the app going. So all the way through from beginning to end she told me exactly what's going on, and it was very nice. It took just a couple of days to install. They did a nice job and I think the quality was good. They made one drill wrong but they fixed it with really good quality. I checked it out and I'm very pleased with the installation process and the speed.

Thank you for the review Gary. We appreciate your business. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Carlos Denver, CO

He is extremely attentive and responsive. Displayed attention to detail and customer experience

Rex Logan, UT

I analyzed four companies and five options and they came out on top. Smart Wave Solar has reasonable installation rate. They worked with me as I analyzed my needs and helped to tailor the system for my needs. They did not oversell me on the house battery option. The materials are high quality. The installation was efficient and they were prompt in supporting any issues I had. Warrantee is solid.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your rating with us.

Jim Draper, UT

When I have issues, they take care of them rapidly and the actual owner makes sure that things are done right. I'm still waiting to see how the system works, but from what I've experienced so far, it looks like it is doing well. I still need to see whether it reaches the full kilowatt capacity, but that may be due to the position of the sensor. We'll see how things go in the summer. The installation went very well. The workers were polite and cooperative and helped with some things that I needed done on the roof while they were up there. I've already recommended Smart Wave to four people.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you for the stellar review Jim. Please reach out to our support team with any questions on your production if needed, [email protected] Ryan Stucki- CEO

Justin Park City, UT

The quality is very good. I've had no issues with it. I chose them because they provided the best value (with all the research that I did comparing other companies). Of course, the system is fairly new, so something could pop up later. But as of right now everything seems to be very high quality and work properly. I think the communication was very good. There were just a couple instances where there was a bit of miscommunication, but it was fixed so there's were no issues in the end.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you Justin. If you need anything in the future please reach out to our support department, [email protected] Ryan Stucki- CEO

Dana Logan, UT

Every time there has been a hiccup or problem, they have just been wonderful to work with. They've been very easy to get a hold of and they have been wonderful in returning calls. We actually had a problem that was unforeseen. We recently had a new roof put in and when the workers were installing it, they kind of wrecked parts of it, but then they replaced it for us. They were wonderful. I don't really have anything to compare the system to, but I feel like we are getting pretty darn good returns as far as energy being produced.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thanks Dana! If you have any questions in the future please reach out to [email protected] we would be happy to help. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Joylynn Provo, UT

Of the the companies we looked at, we liked their prices best. We also love the idea that when the power goes out we can still get some power coming from the solar panels. They were really good with us, they gave us a gift card for being slow because of Covid, and called to let us know about that. They came to put the system in and were done in 2 days. We have really steep roof and they were fine, very polite and worked around us well. We don't get as much credit as was promised from the electric company. They charged us for the first three years and then they give us the credit so we're not getting back nearly what we thought we would and it's going to take us about eight years to even get break even. Also, the tax credit wasn't as much.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Joylynn, I'm sorry to hear about some of these shortfalls. Please reach out to [email protected] so we can help resolve these for you. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Seth Orem, UT

Smart Wave wasn’t necessarily the cheapest but we liked the product they offered and all the information they were able to provide. They have been very responsive and quick to get us information. There was a bit of a scheduling sniffy but it was corrected quickly. It took about a day and a half for them to install it. Overall it was really smooth. It seems to be good quality.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Seth, we appreciate you taking the time to leave a review for our future customers. Thank you for your business. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Jean Clearfield, UT

I did a lot of background. I checked on several solar places. I Smartwave Solar had outstanding reviews. Customer service s outstanding. They answer every question and concern I have. It was quick and easy getting it put up on the roof. They did what they said they were going to do. The quality is exactly what they said it was going to be. It is excellent. I absolutely love them.

Jean, Thank you for your review! We appreciate your business. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Joshua Lehi, UT

In comparison to Blue Raven Solar, they were actually honest. Other companies are dishonest about their prices and what they could do. Smart Wave kept me informed about what was happening every step. The quality seems comparable to other companies. I am satisfied with it. Installation was quick. It only took maybe two days. They didn’t bother us. It was pretty easy.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Joshua, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciated having the opportunity to complete your solar project. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Tabitha

Initially we went with them because they gave us a two hundred dollar amazon gift card to talk to us. Once we did the appointment and found how affordable it is, it was a no brainer. The price is reasonable for the system. The equipment works properly. They are a really great bunch of people. They are awesome about keeping us informed. I get weekly updates. Installation was quick and they walked me through the system.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Tabitha, Thank you for your review. We appreciate your business. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Glenn Foster Helper, UT

Everything was great they handled everything that needed done and done a greT job had system for almost a year and no problems so far.

Christie

Courteous workers for the installation. They were able to fit in my install earlier than projected.

David Orem, UT

My experience with Curtis was positive! He was very helpful in explaining the process and getting me the right price for our solar system.

Joel Sandy, UT

Im so happy I went with Smart Wave Solar. It was more affordable than other offers I received and they were terrific. It was a good quality installation and they made the whole process of getting solar easy.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you for taking the time to review our company for future customers. We appreciate your business.

Jun. 3rd, 2022

Ryan Woods Cross, UT

Great company to work with and I love how they kept me up to date on the setup process. I would have given 5 stars but there was a lack of technical support ownership when I was having an issue with the power reporting back to the power company. I was getting billed for the solar I was producing because the setup of my system wasn't complete. I had to figure this out myself which took several months. This was several months of getting overcharged by the power company. Once I figure out the issue on my own, Smart Wave Solar just said good job.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Ryan I am happy you had mostly a good experience. I would be interested in more details regarding your concern. If you can please email [email protected] I would appreciate your contact info to speak further. Natalie- Customer Service Manager

May. 13th, 2022

Brent Summers Lehi, UT

Everything from sales to installation was fantastic. I've done a lot more research since the install and have come to realize that I not only got a great price on my panels but I got a fantastic system. A few delays and problems occurred and the team handled them well.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you for the great review Brent.

Jeff Brewer Sandy, UT

Solar Wave was fair, honest and upfront. The salesman Steve was a really good guy to deal with. Any problem we had, they were right there to take care of it. I have refferred them, and they have done my friends and neighbors a good job also! Highly recommend this company!

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Jeff, we are incredibly grateful that you took the time out to leave us a 5-Star review.

Levi Darrington South Jordan, UT

We had a bit of a communication problem between us and the salesperson. We expected to pay a certain amount and it turned out that that was incorrect. We did get it all hashed out before we signed on the dotted line, but I wish communication was better. Also, ALL of the financing options for solar of any kind are a scam. Its a great product, but pay for it some other way than to go through the loan options. Nothing specific to Smart Wave Solar.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Levi, thank you so much for this review. We really appreciate you being a customer. We’re here for you anytime.

Craig Deehring Golden, CO

An Excellent professional and responsive company. We had an unusual situation where Installation was complete but an hail storm hit the next day after. My roof was destroyed but the panels survived. Our entire community needed roofs, windows and new gutters. SmartWave was quick to respond with our insurance and roofing company and removal and re install so we would not miss out on Solar usage. The SmartWave team was awesome to work with. Our only delay was with Jefferson County's inspectors getting out in a timely manner.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us Craig, it is very much appreciated by us.

Bob Draper, UT

Just shopped around and they seem to be the most knowledgeable solar company. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands so it's hard to hard to compare. Installation went as scheduled. They got it done in one day and cleaned up after they were done, so it was a good experience.

Thanks for leaving a review Bob! Ryan Stucki- CEO

Myrl Riverton, UT

They've been very responsive when I needed to ask a question or needed information about the service and I appreciated that greatly. The sales and installation person I had contact with told me I could call them if I had questions, which was appreciated.

Thanks Myrl. We appreciate your business. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Anonymous Salt Lake City, UT

They are always responsive. Smart Wave Solar came in at less of a cost and they seemed to have a better backup system when the power went out. The sales people were very helpful, knowledgeable. It seems to be really good company.

Thank you for your review. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Randall Provo, UT

While they were doing the installation I was able to talk to my project manager and they were very responsive. I like the technology. It’s probably not the best for everyone but I never had any questions about whether I could trust them. They were the most efficient and have the best guarantee. They are also the cheapest I compared.

Thank you for the review Randall! Ryan Stucki- CEO

William Draper, UT

They had done a lot of work in my neighborhood so I went with them. They did a good job. The installers were very knowledgeable. I was even able to talk to the president of the company. My only problem is when you call customer service, no one every answers the phone. I would call sales and they would transfer me over. The equipment is working very well.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

William, I apologize you were not able to get through to customer support. Please email [email protected] and someone will answer your questions as quickly as possible. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Christopher Grantsville, UT

They kept me informed along the whole process from sales to the technician coming out. Even the follow up was very much appreciated. They were every efficient getting it up on the roof. I have been very happy with the production. I enjoy having the option to use the outlet if the power goes off.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you for the review Christopher. We have no doubt you will be happy with the Emergency Power Supply if/when you need to use it. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Bonnie Brigham City, UT

Based off my research and my experience, their panels have higher output and are higher quality compared to other brands. Customer service is quick to answer any questions. They were very quick getting it installed. I like having an alternative power source.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you for the review Bonnie. We appreciate the time you took to complete this review for our future customers. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Brad Clearfield, UT

It is very easy to use. I do wish they had a better mobile app so I could view my production there instead of going to the website. Their product is good. The installers were very efficient and very quick and professional. They cleaned up after their mess. They were here for like a day and a half.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you for the review Brad. It sounds like you may have an SMA system. I know SMA is working on their apps continuously, hopefully one is released soon that will meet your needs. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Anonymous Salt Lake City, UT

They are good and trustworthy. They have done an excellent job. My biggest problem is they wanted to do everything by satellite images and we ran into some complications and it took a while. I am no expert but I think the panels are very good.

Thank you for the review. Ryan Stucki- CEO

James South Jordan, UT

Everything we asked of them, they did. They fixed whatever problem there was without any hassle. I would recommend them to anyone. They are great. Installation went very well. They were on time. They were kind and polite. They worked as a team and got it done efficiently. I am quite pleased. I think it is the best on the market for the money.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you for the stellar review James. We appreciate your business. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Leo Bluebell, UT

It’s been operating for four months without a problem. I have appreciated my interactions with them. I have even interacted with the owners of the company. All the information has been very food. They have followed through on what they promised. They did it on schedule.

Thank you Leo, we appreciate your business. Ryan Stucki- CEO

Thomas Salt Lake City, UT

Anytime I have questions or need to verify a check they made sure everything was the way it should be. It all went pretty smooth and it worked well. So far I haven't had any issues with solar panels or the inverter so I would say it's pretty good equipment.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Thank you Thomas. If you need anything in the future please don't hesitate to reach out, [email protected] Ryan Stucki- CEO

Ian Denver, CO

Great prices, responsive to all my questions and needs during and after installation!

Tamra Denver, CO

Steve did not pressure and have a hard sale attitude. He answered my questions and explained what to expect.

Chris Bloodworth Salt Lake City, UT

Eric explained everything to us. He was very knowledgeable about the complete process. Very professional.

Michael Lawrence Dunn Draper, UT

Staffing turnover affected communication, but the panels/inverter were professionally installed. I asked for Smart Wave to include an electric car charger as part of their bid. The charger they installed is not on the list of approved Rocky Mountain Power chargers and does not qualify for a rebate. That is disappointing.

Reply from Smart Wave Solar

Michael, we are so grateful for your review. Thanks for sharing your rating with us and the community

Jeffrey Springville, UT

Solar panels are expensive but they are great. The company is very good about reaching out and explained how things are going. They respond quickly. It seems to be working well.

Thank you for the review Jeffrey! Ryan Stucki- CEO