Project Solar

1.0

LAST UPDATED: September 21st, 2021

Project Solar is a professional solar installation company that also offers customers a do-it-yourself option.

Founded in 2016, the company is dedicated to reducing the cost of going solar by reducing overhead, streamlining its lean infrastructure, and doing away with the door-to-door sales force so many other solar companies have come to rely upon. Instead, the company employs a salsmen-free calculator that pulls from multiple government APIs to accurately measure and predict the solar performance of a given customer's roof. In short, Project Solar can give homeowners an accurate solar quote in real time

Through its expertly designed solar panel systems, Project Solar aims to not only make solar affordable, but also accessible to anyone wishing to save money on their utility bill and achieve energy independence.

The Good

• High-Quality Solar Equipment
  • DIY Solar Option
  • Transparent Pricing

High-Quality Solar Equipment

Project Solar sources its solar equipment from a number of top-level manufacturers. It’s standard solar set features panel from Jinko Solar, which come with a 25-year equipment warranty and an energy efficiency of more than 20 percent — considered an elite rating in the solar industry. The company also uses Enphase micro inverter modules and ranking equipment from industry leader Iron Ridge that can be affixed to either asphalt or tile roof types.

If customers wish to upgrade their panels, Project Solar has partnered with the following manufacturers:

• Aptos
  • Q CELLS
  • LG
  • Panasonic

In short, regardless of budget, Project Solar has a solution for everyone.

DIY Solar Option

Project Solar aims to turn the traditional solar business model on its head by providing customers with the option to install the solar PV system themselves. To accomplish this, and make the process as simple as possible for customers, Project Solar’s expert team handles the design, engineering, permitting, and final electrical work. The company is even willing to deliver solar panels directly to the homeowner’s rooftop.

Meanwhile, all the customer needs to do is climb up on the roof and affix the mounting equipment, screw on the solar panels, and run the wires to the home’s electrical panel — and save thousands of dollars in the process.

Transparent Pricing

Because Project Solar makes its solar energy systems available to DIY enthusiasts via delivery, the company has applied and disclosed a flat-rate pricing model to help curb the cost of adopting solar energy.

The company does not discriminate based on state incentives, and calculates its price in terms of price per watt — meaning the cost of equipment and/or labor per watt of clean, renewable the system is designed to produce:

• Equipment — $0.90 – $1.10 per watt
  • + Rooftop delivery — $0.05 per watt
  •  Full-Service Installation — $0.37 per watt

For systems larger than 13 kilowatts, Project Solar charges a flat $1.41 per watt; systems below 4 kW go for $1.69 per watt. All of these figures reduce significantly once state and federal incentives (like the Federal Tax Credit) area applied. Once the customer is ready to move forward with the projected quote, Project Solar requires a $100 deposit.

As a bonus, Project Solar provides customers with a free solar ROI calculator that analyzes roof layout and past utility bill costs to produce a custom solar system built for maximum solar savings.

The Bad

• Only Available for Purchase or Loan
  • Additional Fees for Non-Standard Solar Panels
  • Average Workmanship Warranty

Only Available for Purchase or Loan

Project Solar’s systems are only available for purchase or solar loan. And as Project Solar is mainly interested in helping customers take full advantage of all available solar incentives — many of which are only available to customers who own their systems — the option to rent a system via solar lease or buy solar energy via a power purchase agreement (PPA) is not a part of the company’s financing product.

Instead, Project Solar requires a $250 deposit from both DIY customers and homeowners interested in full-service installation. For DIY customers, full payment (either in cash or via a solar loan) is required before parts can be delivered; for professional installation, half the payment is due upfront and half after the system has been installed.

Additional Fees for Non-Standard Solar Panels

Customers should be aware that if they opt for panels from Panasonic, LG or any other manufacturer not mentioned in Project Solar’s standard set, the price of their solar panel system will increase.

This price variance is true of all solar panel installation companies. That said, Project Solar’s standard package with panels from Jinko Solar will satisfy the energy needs of most customers.

Average Workmanship Warranty

Though the company focuses mainly on designing systems that almost any homeowner can install without professional help, Project Solar does offer professional solar installation services, with a workmanship warranty of 10 years — considered the industry average.

Most solar companies warranty their systems against damage or errors caused during the installation process, as well as the cost of accompanying maintenance, for anywhere between 5 and 25 years.

The Bottom Line

Project Solar’s unique approach to solar installation translates to greater savings for everyday customers. Its top-of-the-line solar equipment and flat-rate pricing model are attractive selling points for DIY enthusiasts and solar supporters alike.

Customers should note that solar lease and PPA options are not available through Project Solar, and they are encouraged to read verified Project Solar reviews to see if this company is right for them.

Message from
Project Solar

Project Solar is doing things differently. With a completely digital solar sales process, we've cut out the door-knocking salesman to offer the lowest price solar in America.

Our advanced quoting calculator pulls from multiple APIs to analyze your roofs sun exposure, local utility rates, specific usage, and state and federal tax incentives to give you a real time quote without ever having to talk to anyone.

From there you can pay a $100 deposit to get paired with a dedicated account manager and begin your solar project.

This substantially more efficient process allows us to sell solar for half the national average, bringing our average price per watt down below $2/watt before incentives, fully installed.

Unique to Project Solar, we offer both full service install and DIY, nationwide. We transparently display our consistent pricing and premium equipment and encourage customers to shop around.

With a focus on efficiency and PERFECT customer satisfaction, we're building the future of the solar industry. You're going to LOVE going solar with Project Solar.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

4.8

Allen Ruppert Port Saint Lucie, FL

Project Solar helped me to DIY install my own solar array. They are a team working together to make this happen across the US and they were very helpful every step of the way. They helped do the parts I really didn't want to do like organizing the permitting with the local utility and county and also organizing the delivery of all the needed materials to my house at their Bulk savings prices. They offered many additional services along the way like professional installation and the ability to install on ground mounts instead of roof racks and most importantly always held an open line of communication for any questions I had.

Robert Holbert St. Petersburg, FL

I used Project Solar for a 16 kW solar installation on my home in Florida. Their equipment was great, installer did a great job, and the outcome was exactly what I wanted at a very competitive price. There were some unnecessary delays along the way but we got past them and overall I’d definitely recommend them to others for overall value and service.

L YP Rosemead, CA

The price is super affordable! 1/3 less than other major players. I had a bad experience at the beginning with a project manager who rarely responded. After they changed it to Jentry, everything became different! Mark, the guy who helped me set up the Enphase, was also knowledgeable and responsive. Overall, much better than my experience with other solar companies.

Ben Budiman San Jose, CA

There is no aggressive high pressure sales with Project Solar. This is my second system, my first one was installed several years back with Sunrun. But, because of COVID, my college age children were back at home, and I worked from home as well. So, our electricity bill jumped up. Since we also may buy an electric car in the future, we decided to add more solar panels. We approached Sunrun, but they can not just expand the existing system since the technology had changed, so it will be a new installation. So, since it is a new installation, we started to shop around. Solar Project by far has the best price. We choose the full installation option, but we still need to do some work like taking a picture of the attic, measuring, etc which is not very easy in my case. The installation took only half a day. However the wait for the system to go online was almost 3 months, and in between we got two/three different project managers. One of them were not communicating well, so I was left in the dark. However, the last project manager, Jentry, is great, and the person that helped me installing the app was really great. So, they made up for the bad experience I had with one of the Project Manager. Overall, the experience were good, kudos to Jazmyn Y who continue to reach out even when she was no longer my account manager. Rudy R from the installation company, Jentry M, and Mark (not sure what the last name is). Thank you.

Noel D Canyon Country, CA

TLDR: Just do it. You're not going to find a cheaper option than Project Solar (literally 50% of other installers), and they handle everything. My wife and I were interested in solar, but after having two installers quote us $28k and $34k for similar-sized systems, we just had a hard time justifying the investment. A few weeks later, I saw an article in LA Weekly about Project Solar. I went to their site to submit a request for an estimate, and it came back just shy of $15k. I was shocked! How could they be 50% of the cost of other installers? I searched online for as much info as I could find on the company, trying to prove to myself their legitimacy. I went as far as to look up their employees and founder on LinkedIn to ensure that this was a reputable installer. Having convinced myself, I submitted the $100 deposit, and Project Solar got right to work. They set me up with an account manager within one or two days, and they started the entire process of architectural designs and permitting. I also had to get HOA approval on my end. But about two months later, Project Solar confirmed my install with a local installer. They came out on a Saturday and got everything up and running in about 6 hrs. The system even looks sleek! From there, it took about a week for the City to inspect and sign off on the system, then an additional two weeks for our utility company, SoCal Energy, to grant in the final approval to operate. Start to finish. Everything took about three months from my initial deposit, just in time for the summer heat (and higher electric rates). So far ever saved about $200 on our electric bill, and have produced more energy than we've used, so we expect a credit back at the end of the year (amount TBD). I exchanged 80+ emails, numerous calls, and several text messages with the Project Solar team throughout the process. They answered every single one of my questions and held my hand throughout the entire process. A few emails went unanswered a day or two longer than I would have liked, but, honestly, I couldn't be much happier with the team. If you're on the fence about using Project Solar, do it! You're not going to find a cheaper option, and they'll handle everything for you.

Eric Salisbury Sacramento, CA

Honestly, project solar is exactly what I have been looking for… I have wanted to “go solar” but the quotes were always crazy high. After receiving 3 quotes for over $40,000 from different solar companies I had pretty much given up on buying solar. Then one day, I saw a project solar Facebook ad and my quote was so low I thought it was a scam at first. My concerns fled quickly as I spoke to Project Solar staff and everything came together really easy! They handled all of the permitting and paperwork for me and I got my entire system installed for just over $19,000 (without me lifting a finger because I did not choose the DIY option). I would absolutely recommend Project Solar to everyone… in fact I already have to several people!

S Spring Branch, TX

Let me begin by saying that IN SPITE OF all the issues getting through their process, we would do it again based upon the final product and cost. We were able to self- install an 11.5kw system for about $17,000 plus a few hundred dollars more for miscellaneous supplies. We found the process to be cumbersome and it took us over 4 months start to finish. The actual installation took only three days of that time frame (could have been quicker if we were able to get everything in place before summer arrived, because it was just too hot to work on a metal roof in the afternoons). The planning process was frustrating because it was done only through email. It would have been SO MUCH EASIER AND FASTER to have been able to have a brief phone call or two to clear up misconceptions. To be fair, some of the misunderstandings were on our end but still would have taken just a very few minutes to clear up by phone instead of waiting for a daily email to reply to. Once we were through design, we were turned over to Grant to help us through the process. Still more frustrations, such as having to resubmit information we had provided earlier in the process. Once it was time to schedule installation, the installation company backed out of the contract. Although Grant was working to schedule another installer, we opted to go self- install at that point. Good decision, as it was relatively easy to figure out and saved us close to $6000. Components that were specified for our system were out of stock. Grant was able to find a good substitution and had it delivered within just a few days from Ft. Worth, which saved us waiting for our more local San Antonio supplier to restock. Grant was the saving grace to this whole process. He always answered our phone calls and responded to emails quickly. Had it not been for him, we probably would have thrown in the towel and demanded a refund at some point. Once our system was up and running, we received a call from Mark. He helped us get the enlighten software up and running with just a couple of phone calls. Overall, a frustrating experience but worth the effort.

Reply from Project Solar

We are so grateful for your patience as we opened this new area of Texas! We're certainly sorry for the craziness, but we are so glad everything worked out and you went solar for the lowest price in the nation. We are working to improve our processes daily, and your feedback has been helpful in driving our time to install down in the Central Texas Area. We appreciate your feedback and business and hope you enjoy your energy savings!

Aug. 6th, 2021

Royan Dorah Lehigh Acres, FL

They were quick to draw up the project and work with me to get financing. The project was delayed due to know fault of their own. They worked to get all problems resolved

K johnson Dallas, TX

They were easy to work with. Got the product and design I wanted. Grant has a good knowledge of the product line and how it all works together. Would use them again if the need arises.

Mike Cederlind Turlock, CA

Blazing fast install. Best price on the internet period!! Hooked me up with $0 down financing Only issue was communication with the installer. Highly recommend

Paul James Mesquite, TX

Great customer service and they have an easy process to get solar on your house

Reply from Project Solar

Thanks Paul! It's been great working with you!

Aug. 27th, 2021