Best Company Guarantee Project Solar Logo

Project Solar

7.1

sell See Special Offer chevron_right

LAST UPDATED: September 8th, 2022

Project Solar is a professional solar installation company that also offers customers a do-it-yourself option.

Founded in 2016, the company is dedicated to reducing the cost of going solar by reducing overhead, streamlining its lean infrastructure, and doing away with the door-to-door sales force so many other solar companies have come to rely upon. Instead, the company employs a salsmen-free calculator that pulls from multiple government APIs to accurately measure and predict the solar performance of a given customer's roof. In short, Project Solar can give homeowners an accurate solar quote in real time

Through its expertly designed solar panel systems, Project Solar aims to not only make solar affordable, but also accessible to anyone wishing to save money on their utility bill and achieve energy independence.

The Good

• High-Quality Solar Equipment
  • DIY Solar Option
  • Transparent Pricing

High-Quality Solar Equipment

Project Solar sources its solar equipment from a number of top-level manufacturers. It’s standard solar set features panel from Jinko Solar, which come with a 25-year equipment warranty and an energy efficiency of more than 20 percent — considered an elite rating in the solar industry. The company also uses Enphase micro inverter modules and ranking equipment from industry leader Iron Ridge that can be affixed to either asphalt or tile roof types.

If customers wish to upgrade their panels, Project Solar has partnered with the following manufacturers:

• Aptos
  • Q CELLS
  • LG
  • Panasonic

In short, regardless of budget, Project Solar has a solution for everyone.

DIY Solar Option

Project Solar aims to turn the traditional solar business model on its head by providing customers with the option to install the solar PV system themselves. To accomplish this, and make the process as simple as possible for customers, Project Solar’s expert team handles the design, engineering, permitting, and final electrical work. The company is even willing to deliver solar panels directly to the homeowner’s rooftop.

Meanwhile, all the customer needs to do is climb up on the roof and affix the mounting equipment, screw on the solar panels, and run the wires to the home’s electrical panel — and save thousands of dollars in the process.

Transparent Pricing

Because Project Solar makes its solar energy systems available to DIY enthusiasts via delivery, the company has applied and disclosed a flat-rate pricing model to help curb the cost of adopting solar energy.

The company does not discriminate based on state incentives, and calculates its price in terms of price per watt — meaning the cost of equipment and/or labor per watt of clean, renewable the system is designed to produce:

• Equipment — $0.90 – $1.10 per watt
  • + Rooftop delivery — $0.05 per watt
  •  Full-Service Installation — $0.37 per watt

For systems larger than 13 kilowatts, Project Solar charges a flat $1.41 per watt; systems below 4 kW go for $1.69 per watt. All of these figures reduce significantly once state and federal incentives (like the Federal Tax Credit) area applied. Once the customer is ready to move forward with the projected quote, Project Solar requires a $100 deposit.

As a bonus, Project Solar provides customers with a free solar ROI calculator that analyzes roof layout and past utility bill costs to produce a custom solar system built for maximum solar savings.

The Bad

• Only Available for Purchase or Loan
  • Additional Fees for Non-Standard Solar Panels
  • Average Workmanship Warranty

Only Available for Purchase or Loan

Project Solar’s systems are only available for purchase or solar loan. And as Project Solar is mainly interested in helping customers take full advantage of all available solar incentives — many of which are only available to customers who own their systems — the option to rent a system via solar lease or buy solar energy via a power purchase agreement (PPA) is not a part of the company’s financing product.

Instead, Project Solar requires a $250 deposit from both DIY customers and homeowners interested in full-service installation. For DIY customers, full payment (either in cash or via a solar loan) is required before parts can be delivered; for professional installation, half the payment is due upfront and half after the system has been installed.

Additional Fees for Non-Standard Solar Panels

Customers should be aware that if they opt for panels from Panasonic, LG or any other manufacturer not mentioned in Project Solar’s standard set, the price of their solar panel system will increase.

This price variance is true of all solar panel installation companies. That said, Project Solar’s standard package with panels from Jinko Solar will satisfy the energy needs of most customers.

Average Workmanship Warranty

Though the company focuses mainly on designing systems that almost any homeowner can install without professional help, Project Solar does offer professional solar installation services, with a workmanship warranty of 10 years — considered the industry average.

Most solar companies warranty their systems against damage or errors caused during the installation process, as well as the cost of accompanying maintenance, for anywhere between 5 and 25 years.

The Bottom Line

Project Solar has a unique approach to solar installation that translates to greater savings for everyday customers. Its top-of-the-line solar equipment and flat-rate pricing model are attractive selling points for DIY enthusiasts and solar supporters alike.

Customers should note that solar lease and PPA options are not available through Project Solar, and they are encouraged to read verified Project Solar reviews to see if this company is right for them.

Message from
Project Solar

Project Solar is doing things differently. With a completely digital solar sales process, we've cut out the door-knocking salesman to offer the lowest price solar in America.

Our advanced quoting calculator pulls from multiple APIs to analyze your roofs sun exposure, local utility rates, specific usage, and state and federal tax incentives to give you a real time quote without ever having to talk to anyone.

From there you can pay a $100 deposit to get paired with a dedicated account manager and begin your solar project.

This substantially more efficient process allows us to sell solar for half the national average, bringing our average price per watt down below $2/watt before incentives, fully installed.

Unique to Project Solar, we offer both full service install and DIY, nationwide. We transparently display our consistent pricing and premium equipment and encourage customers to shop around.

With a focus on efficiency and PERFECT customer satisfaction, we're building the future of the solar industry. You're going to LOVE going solar with Project Solar.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down
bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Michael

They're very attentive and want to solve your problem. They're very hands on and care about the individual customer, but because they're small, there was a onetime organization issue that caused confusion and made it hard to get in contact with the right person. I check the system every couple of day on the app. It gives very good details on the production: which spots on the roof are getting more sunlight and it aligns with what we're seeing from our electricity from our utility company. The team of contractors came out and installed the panels in one day. They had to make minor changes to the design because of something on my roof that they weren't aware of. They also changed the person in charge- he was really nice and helpful and talked with us a lot so yeah good experience

David Mead Denver, CO

Great price, horrible customer service. Delays due to incompetence over and over again. Swapped panels at install without knowledge, roof leak after install, microinverters not working at PTO. Unable to get replies back from the company to get my problems fixed. The day of this review a manager that could actually assist reached out. Compensated me financially and was able to get the job done shortly after. Project Solar stepped up with permits, and signage when the installer wouldn't respond. Reaching a manager that would actually respond didn't happen until my review. The product is good, getting to this point was painful. Happy to be done and happy that the panels are working as they should be at this time.

John

Almost all of it was excellent, but there was one little glitch and I don't know if that has been corrected. Installation went extremely smoothly, the materials all arrived and the workman who came to install came in the morning. I had to go to the airport and so I wasn't there during most of it by the time I got back picking up my passport at the airport and coming back in the afternoon they were almost done. It was a group of five who came out, and the installation was done very very effectively. I looked at it and the workmanship is all rated excellent. The equipment does function properly, but the connection between the inverters and the matching of the inverters with the panels could possibly have done better.

Dhiren

Good corperation, the project got delayed a little, but it may be partially due to some people not being available due to Covid or otherwise but generally good customer service. Very smooth. They give us the best panels, their workmanship was good and overall all the equipment they provided and all my current inverters are all good quality so I think it worked out. My experience was excellent.

Raheem

There was great customer service at every point throughout the whole process. The technician on the phone followed up with me when he noticed that my system was offline. Everyone was very thoughtful. I like that the app interface is simple and easy to use. I would recommend Project Solar to a friend.The installation process was very quick, smooth, and seamless. All the technicians that came to install were always very kind and tidy so it was a great experience. Overall, I am very satisfied with the work that was done.

Anthony

The process was challenging, sometimes the communication was terrible. For example, there was a lack of communication between the product seller pm and myself and there was a lack of communication between the project solar pm and the installation company. And then, in the installation, I understand there were changes made, but I wasn't consulted. The installation didn't follow the drawings fully. Generally, I feel like the process was not managed well. I think they did a good job on the physical installation. They painted everything well and everything is secure and safe. I will say that Project Solar has high quality panels, an excellent warranty, and the fee system has great software. It's been a pleasure to work with the software.

Ricardo

More reasonably priced than competitors. Every time I called when I had a question or even an email they would always respond to me pretty quickly in a timely manner. It was pretty straightforward.For install I just basically opened the house for them and they just did what they had to do. Everything was pretty smooth other than a big issue with the city permitting but other than that that's the city issue it's not really an issue with project solar.

Dave Chesapeake, VA

If you want to save money by installing the system yourself but want it properly engineered and permitted, with quality components like microinverters, then Project Solar is your path.

Shawn DeLand, FL

My project took over a year, account reps changed more than a few times, and then in the end it was a lot of stuff that was overlooked that I had to deal with after the fact. Install was troublesome. The installer took Three weeks with almost zero communication. They would leave and I had to find out when they were coming back after all that it took them two months to come replace the faulty main breaker, which was dangerous because the equipment could not be shutdown if the utility company needed to. I would be liable if anyone was hurt on working on the line So it was kind of bumpy all the way from purchase to install. The equipment is from a well tested industry, standard stuff, no complaints of hardware whatsoever. Wish it had gone a little smoother 🤷🏽‍♂️

Mike

It was going good but when it got to the installation it got to be really screwed up. The installation process was very long and unorganized. It took 3 months from the time they all agreed to the time of installation and currently I still have one that's bad and I can't seem to get it replaced. But they did call me and answer my question when I had one.

Joe

Project Solar has good equipment. I would recommend Project Solar to a friend. The cost is good. There was a slight lack of communication in the delivery process, but I was very pleased with the workers' persistence and staying on the job.

Haogang

Luis

they're using the best equipment from the market right now at a better price than every other company that quoted us. Basically, I ordered all the materials from Project Solar. They got delivered to my home and I installed it myself. A couple weeks later the electric company came by and hooked it up.

Josh

Overall I had a good experience with Project Solar, but sometimes it took them a while to get back to me. Some mistakes were made during the installation process but they were very upfront and took responsibility for it. They replaced the thing that they had damaged and made it right.

Wade

I was able to pick whatever I wanted. The install was done in about a day and a half and it looks great. Most every time I called I got somebody on the phone, only a few times I had to wait for somebody to call me for day or so.

Eric Johnson North Salt Lake, UT

Price was good but installation started out shakey but improved. The installer was a sub of a sub of a sub who apparently wasn't dedicated to the project. Ultimately it turned out good though.

Will Seale Indiana, PA

Project Solar provided good equipment and support and the lowest price. I am really happy with the Solar Array that we now own and I installed it myself with their support. I recommend them as a good company to work with.

Trevor

I don't have any issues with Project Solar. I contacted support for a question at one point and they responded quickly. The product was quick to install and the installers were nice and courteous. Everything went well.

Corbin

I have had no problems with customer support, they were really responsive and they always followed up with any concerns that I had. The product is very high quality. I think the only thing that was a little bit disappointing is the installation crew left a little bit of a mess. They didn't clean up everything.

Anthony

The installation process went great. Their service always came in a reasonable amount of time. The only problem I had with them was that sometimes it was hard to communicate with them.

Claridge

There was a slight lack of communication but other than that it was a very good experience. They were very clear with what they needed when they communicated. The material is top notch and the process of installing the panels went very smoothly.

Steven Phoenix, AZ

Great company to work with the price was right and installation was a breeze. Only issue was an error on the final inspection card that was sent to the electric company which delayed PTO by about a month or so. I was given a discount on my final payment as a result of this error. Over all I would recommend this company to anyone looking for solar. I had three estimates and Project Solar beat all three estimates hands down!!!

Adam Fritzsche Dayton, OH

Hopefully this review can save someone from the ordeal I am going through. I was told they had QCell Panels. I was also told they had installers. Started the process and then I was told oh, sorry we can't get the QCells anymore. Then it was, oh we don't have installers in your area, but you can go the diy route. Paid extra for upgraded racking hardware from IronRidge. IronRidge products were all listed as what would be installed on my permit package, I requested a bill of material that were to be shipped prior to making my payment and everything listed was what I wanted. Received order and got the cheapest Unirac hardware available. Was told that was all the supplier had, called the supplier they used and they said that they did have what i wanted available the entire time. This company clearly works on a bait and switch model. It would likely go unnoticed if you went the installed route, but if you cared at all about what you are going to receive, go elsewhere. I understand mistakes happen and perhaps getting the wrong things sent could have been an oversight, so when these things happen I like to give the opportunity to make things right, which most companies when they know they made a mistake will correct, however in this case, Project Solar is not looking like they are willing to make things right and deliver what had been promised and I keep getting a runaround. So $25K later, I am stuck with hardware I did not want. In hindsight, the fact that the only methods of communication are through text or email and that it is virtually impossible to get a number to speak to someone directly is really all you need to know and should be an immediate red flag.

Joseph

I like the equipment that Project Solar uses, I have been happy with it. I don't remember having issues with the installation process, I have used Project Solar for almost a year now and everything has been fine.

Robert

I had lot of questions and then we saw they no longer called anybody I had to do everything, so I was little bit disappointed with the changed of policy to that. Installation went fine.

Justin

Very smooth. I had a switch of point of contact a few times at the beginning of the process. Easy to use and affordable.

Ihab

The people I dealt with were always courteous and pleasant. Working with Project Solar has been a very positive experience for me.

Michael

Customer support was always immediately available. Their product is up to industry standard. Everything with Project Solar was super easy and smooth.

Amy

Wolfe-Johnson

There was some difficulty with communication at the beginning. Some expectations on time frames were not made clear to me which caused some discomfort on my end.

Avi

The workers rushed through the installation process which I wasn't happy about. The costumer service is pretty laid back and extremely casual, so there was a lack of customer focus.

J W Fort Bragg, CA

Terrible communication and months of delays after I had already paid for permitting and done everything on my end. I still don't have my panels and am fighting with them too get a refund so I can take my business elsewhere.

Kevin Huang Temple City, CA

Simran Kaur Santa Clara, CA

They took an extremely long time and the service after is extremely frustrating. Our app is not working and project solar is not doing a thing about it.

Gregory

Installation process was slow and steady but they got it done. I had some breakers that broke and it took a while, but they fixed them.

Hannes

Overall, I am very satisfied with Project Solar. Everything ran smoothly and they had timely responses to questions.

Jason

With Project Solar, it took a while to actually get a hold of the utility. But it is all functioning correctly and everything is clean.

Jose

There was always somebody I could get a hold of but there was a little miscommunication. I was very happy with the installation process.

Gary W Johnson Grover Beach, CA

I had many problems/changes with your process and different staff movement in and out, you were very new

Allan F Visser Kissimmee, FL

Allen Ruppert Port Saint Lucie, FL

Project Solar helped me to DIY install my own solar array. They are a team working together to make this happen across the US and they were very helpful every step of the way. They helped do the parts I really didn't want to do like organizing the permitting with the local utility and county and also organizing the delivery of all the needed materials to my house at their Bulk savings prices. They offered many additional services along the way like professional installation and the ability to install on ground mounts instead of roof racks and most importantly always held an open line of communication for any questions I had.

Noel D Canyon Country, CA

TLDR: Just do it. You're not going to find a cheaper option than Project Solar (literally 50% of other installers), and they handle everything. My wife and I were interested in solar, but after having two installers quote us $28k and $34k for similar-sized systems, we just had a hard time justifying the investment. A few weeks later, I saw an article in LA Weekly about Project Solar. I went to their site to submit a request for an estimate, and it came back just shy of $15k. I was shocked! How could they be 50% of the cost of other installers? I searched online for as much info as I could find on the company, trying to prove to myself their legitimacy. I went as far as to look up their employees and founder on LinkedIn to ensure that this was a reputable installer. Having convinced myself, I submitted the $100 deposit, and Project Solar got right to work. They set me up with an account manager within one or two days, and they started the entire process of architectural designs and permitting. I also had to get HOA approval on my end. But about two months later, Project Solar confirmed my install with a local installer. They came out on a Saturday and got everything up and running in about 6 hrs. The system even looks sleek! From there, it took about a week for the City to inspect and sign off on the system, then an additional two weeks for our utility company, SoCal Energy, to grant in the final approval to operate. Start to finish. Everything took about three months from my initial deposit, just in time for the summer heat (and higher electric rates). So far ever saved about $200 on our electric bill, and have produced more energy than we've used, so we expect a credit back at the end of the year (amount TBD). I exchanged 80+ emails, numerous calls, and several text messages with the Project Solar team throughout the process. They answered every single one of my questions and held my hand throughout the entire process. A few emails went unanswered a day or two longer than I would have liked, but, honestly, I couldn't be much happier with the team. If you're on the fence about using Project Solar, do it! You're not going to find a cheaper option, and they'll handle everything for you.

Eric Salisbury Sacramento, CA

Honestly, project solar is exactly what I have been looking for… I have wanted to “go solar” but the quotes were always crazy high. After receiving 3 quotes for over $40,000 from different solar companies I had pretty much given up on buying solar. Then one day, I saw a project solar Facebook ad and my quote was so low I thought it was a scam at first. My concerns fled quickly as I spoke to Project Solar staff and everything came together really easy! They handled all of the permitting and paperwork for me and I got my entire system installed for just over $19,000 (without me lifting a finger because I did not choose the DIY option). I would absolutely recommend Project Solar to everyone… in fact I already have to several people!

Chase Straw Riverton, UT

Everything went smoothly and by far the most affordable way to add solar to your home!

Ced Ran Van Nuys, CA

Everything went well. Got our solar from sign up to pto in just a month and some days!

Ingmar Haffke San Mateo, CA

Great price, great support! Personalized communication and support from the team.

Trevor Steen Commerce City, CO

Over 7 months start to finish. Long periods with no communication. I had to do a lot of the work at the end to get my system fully connected.

Garen

Customer support was delayed and the installation process went very slowly, but Project Solar is a great company.

I am extremely likely to recommend Project Solar to a friend. The company is cost effective and the process is easy.

Joel

It was easy. Very simple and painless. I don't think there's much better equipment out there.