Momentum Solar

6.0

LAST UPDATED: December 6th, 2022

In business since 2009 and headquartered in Metuchen, New Jersey, Momentum Solar is a solar energy contractor that sells and installs solar panels to businesses and homeowners in New Jersey, New York, Florida, Texas, and Connecticut.

With over 1200 employees, it is one of the fastest-growing companies in the industry and specializes in providing customized solar power system installations for both residential and commercial properties and enabling clients to produce affordable, renewable energy while helping preserve the environment. Momentum Solar strives to achieve a 100 percent solar offset for its customers to maximize monetary savings and increase clean energy generation that reduces harmful carbon emissions.

Momentum Solar manages the entire customer lifecycle of its projects, including the sale, design, engineering, permitting, installation, and activation of each solar system, in an effort to provide great customer service and make the process as seamless as possible.

Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about Momentum Solar, as well as view Momentum Solar reviews from real customers.

SunPower Logo
#1 SunPower chevron_right
ADT Solar Logo
#2 ADT Solar chevron_right

The Good

• Financing Options
  • Customized Solar PV Systems
  • Simple, Straightfoward Solar Process
  • High-Quality Solar Power Equipment
  • Convenient Online Payment Option
  • Long-Term Price Protection
  • Warranties
  • Maintenance and Monitoring
  • Moving Options
  • Solid Track Record

Financing Options

On Momentum Solar's website, the company states that it offers $0 down options in every state where it operates, and $0 down, $0 out-of-pocket options in the majority of states where it operates.

Available methods of payment include cash purchase, solar loan, solar lease, and Power Purchase Agreement (PPA). Purchase and loan options allow customers to take full advantage of the federal solar tax credit. Momentum Solar will sync up with each homeowner to discuss the best financial options for their specific situation.

Customized Solar PV Systems

Momentum Solar understands that each customer has a unique home, lifestyle, and budget and strives to provide a personalized solution and experience for each individual customer. The solar energy company provides a custom photovoltaic system, and designs, engineers, and installs each system to maximize energy output, electric bill savings, and aesthetic appeal while also lowering carbon footprint.

Simple, Straightforward Solar Process

When a customer chooses to have a solar energy system installed by Momentum Solar, they can expect the process to be as follows:

1. Pre-qualification
  2. Free, no-obligation consultation
  3. Solar enrollment for qualified homeowners
  4. Site assessment, design, permitting, and solar installation
  5. Final inspection and activation

High-Quality Solar Power Equipment

For its solar systems, Momentum Solar offers a premium solar module variety; technology for maximized production; and streamlined, lightweight, and durable racking.

The company provides a solar cell selection from solar industry–leading manufacturers, including LG, QCELLS, Longi, REC, Trina, and Hyundai, and inverters produced by Enphase.

Convenient Online Payment Option

Momentum Solar gives customers the option to quickly and conveniently make payments online with a click of a button. To do this, customers simply need to visit the company's website, fill out a short form, and make the payment.

Long-Term Price Protection

Momentum Solar offers long-term price predictability so that customers will know they're paying for electricity today, tomorrow, and for the next 20 years that they have a solar PV system.

Warranties

Momentum Solar provides its customers with a 25-year equipment warranty to cover parts, as well as a 25-year workmanship warranty to cover the work of each solar installer it employs. Customers can be confident that their solar array will be protected under these warranties.

Maintenance and Monitoring

Momentum Solar offers complimentary system maintenance and monitoring with each of its commercial and residential solar systems, which helps to ensure that the system is always functioning optimally.

The company provides monitoring services through Enphase MyEnlighten, which allows customers to verify their system's health and performance; view energy production by month, day, or hour; analyze performance against historical weather data; and share performance information on social medial platforms from anywhere in the world using a smartphone, tablet, or computer.

Moving Options

If a customer needs to sell their home while still under contract, Momentum Solar will allow them to transfer their solar agreement to the new homeowners. The company's customer experience team can walk the customer through the entire process and will help them to complete the transfer. Momentum Solar boasts a 100 percent success rate with system transfers.

Solid Track Record

Momentum Solar has more than a decade of experience in the solar industry and has undergone significant growth over that period. The company now has more than 1,200 employees and has been ranked on the Inc. 5000 list of the fastest growing companies in the U.S. several times.

The Bad

• No NABCEP Certification
  • Momentum Solar Review Concerns

No NABCEP Certification

Momentum Solar does not appear to have a certification from the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP). The NABCEP is widely regarded as one of the most important certification programs in the solar industry. NABCEP-certified status indicates that a solar company has taken additional steps to train its personnel in the best practices and latest developments in solar installation. While the omission of this certification does not imply poor quality on the part of the company, its presence can sometimes be the difference-maker for a customer comparing multiple solar options.

Momentum Solar Review Concerns

While customer reviews are just one piece of the puzzle when analyzing a company, it's a significant piece.

While many homeowners are satisfied with Momentum's service, there are some customer service issues highlighted by some reviewers. Specifically, some reviewers say communication was lacking after the installation process was complete. Others said they needed to proactively call the company to get details regarding parts of their solar project and they had a difficult time getting in touch with someone.

The Bottom Line

Momentum Solar is one of the fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and offers a number of attractive features for individuals looking to take advantage of renewable energy, including multiple payment options, a straightforward solar installation process, customized design, high quality equipment, online payments, long-term price protection, and warranties.

However, the residential solar company's area of operation is currently limited to California, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas, and Connecticut, so individuals who live elsewhere are unable to receive a solar panel installation from Momentum Solar at this time.

If you live within the company's service area and are interested in utilizing solar PV to lower your dependence on fossil fuel, Momentum Solar may be a good fit. We recommend reading Momentum Solar reviews from real customers below for more information. We also recommend taking advantage of one of the company's free solar quotes.

View Best Solar Companies

3.8

Ms. Robinson Crandall, TX

Wasn't fully informed in regards to monitoring production vs consumption vs storing capabilities. Wasn't aware and disappointed that it all wasn't included in the purchase of the system. Also the installation wasn't without incident that caused us to have no phone, tv or internet service for over 24 hours; had to contact service provider to come make repairs.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Thank you for your honest feedback as we are always looking to improve. We appreciate your business and it there's anything we can help with further please reach out to [email protected]

Jenn Auburndale, FL

Took forever to get the panels on because of multiple months waiting for inspections and meter changes due to checks lost in the mail. Had the panels on for 3 months and I still have an electric bill of $100 on top of the solar bill that was supposed to make the electric bill go away completely. So now I'm paying more each month between the panels and the electric bill than I was prior to install. I thought that I was supposed to have enough power produced with the 44 panels on my roof.

Vincent Schuster

We have an issue where our solar is not communicating. We were told a technician would contact us in 3-5 days. We never heard from anyone. We called again and this time they told us to call back in 3-5 buisiness days to see if they know what to do. So instead of calling us with an answer we have to call back. With the solar not connected properly our electric usage went up higher than it has ever been by almost double and they take too long to resolve the issue.

Dorothy Hempstead, NY

I'm pretty upset about the fact that they have charged me for the whole month, when I had only used it for 6 days. Installation took a couple of weeks. They came to check the panels they installed, checked the inside of the house, and then after about a month they finally put everything up. So far I'm not having any problems with it, but I don't think the customer service is very efficient.

Foreman Schertz, TX

Our panels are up but still waiting on CPS to do their hook up. I think they over calculated the number of solar panels. They said the rebate would be valid once the panels were installed only to find out we don't get it until after CPS is done with their part.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Thank you Foreman for taking the time to leave us feedback. Please message here or email [email protected] if we can be of further assistance on your account.

Emmanuel Andino Bridgeport, CT

1 customer service and not honest sales strategy when they installed the roof the people who did move my dish satellite and put it back wrong I emailed an employee at Momentum at the person said, yes send me the bill which I did for $150 but they didn't even reply to my email

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hello Emmanuel we appreciate your business and I'm very sorry to hear of the lack of follow up, please email me at [email protected] with the copy of the bill and address, phone number and I'll have this looked into ASAP.

robert illenberg Cape Coral, FL

The salesman verbilly promised things that did not happen. I called the company was told my account manager would call me, that never happened. I was never told things I should have been told.At the present time I have 1 panel not working which has not been repaired.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hi Robert, I'm so sorry to hear of the lack of follow up, please send us a private message here with your address and phone number and I'll be happy to have a solar specialist reach out to you ASAP,

Ann

The actual installation went quick and easy but it has not been hooked up and nobody returns phone calls. We were not informed of the steps. We’ve gotten a letter from the city multiple times telling us the product was denied. The people they hired do not do their job.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hi Ann, I'm disappointed to hear about your experience. Please private message us your address and phone number here so we can help you get up and running.

Erwin

Their customer service department is not very efficient. When you call you have to wait a while to actually get someone to talk to you and answer your questions. Installation went well, but the solar power is terrible and is still not working after installation.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hello Erwin, I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the panels; please send us a private message here with your address and phone number and we will have this looked into. Thank you.

Carol A Palmetto, FL

They did not present the full truth to me about how solar billing works in my area. The benefits they told me are not true- I will never achieve 100% solar independence because when I am not generating power, but I am using power, I am being charged for the power. They did not contact the people who I gave to them for referrals.

Anderson Sarasota, FL

felt we were sold a bill of goods by the sales person and then not reaping the financial benefits they portrayed. Also, the whole govt rebate part was super misleading and we fear under new tax laws we just paid additional $6400 for this system which we will never recover. Not pleased at any level about this.

Jennifer Brentwood, NY

The installation process went on well without any hitches, except they left something outside that I busted my kneecap on. I had to go in for emergency surgery, and I haven't been able to have any grandkids over because of that. I think it would have been nice if they had removed some trees to get the maximum amount of sunlight.

Rita Shelter Island, NY

They promised that I would have a generator hook-up in case the wind power goes out, but that hasn't been done. I haven't heard even though I've called several times about when the generator installation is going to happen. But, the installation process went well, there haven't been any problems with it since it was installed.

Gerda Union, NJ

The installation was fine, they were very efficient and did the job within a timely manner. But, I'm not having a good experience, I'm having issues I have had several times, and nobody will follow up with my complaints. I cannot recommend them to others because of it, people have approached me about my panels and i can't refer them.

Nuria Cruz Austin, TX

I didn't like the installation process, I had the momentum solar guys come in and out of my house too many times on a rainy day. My floor got dirty and they used my bathroom and left a mess

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hello Nuria, thank you for the honest feedback as it will help us improve. We hope you are finding the Solar Panels beneficial if we can help with anything please send us a private message here.

Rachel

I was recommended by a friend to use Momentum Solar. The installation process was okay, but they caused a leak in my ceiling and it has been three weeks and they still haven't fixed it.

Diane Georges Miami, FL

I have had my solar panels for almost two years. I had researched other companies and decided to go with Momentum Solar based on their price, monthly projected electric bill, sales rep helpfulness, and accessibility and customer service support. In the beginning, my electric bills fluctuated, but now they have progressively increased to the point where I am now being charged over $200 per month in a house occupied by 2 adults, one of which who is gone most of the time. I have repeatedly reached out to their customer service department and all I keep getting is the run around. I am promised over and over that a supervisor is going to return the call, and two months later, still no one has the common courtesy to respond. If I knew then what I know now, I would have NEVER wasted my time and money. Once they have you as a customer you become dead to them. It is disgraceful and unconscionable behavior. Shame on you Momentum Solar! Buyer beware!!!!

Frank New London, CT

Momentum solar power company made 2 different appointments with me to explain their solar contract they did not show up . Finally on the 3rd appointment they came and explained their contract. They wanted me to sign the contract before I knew the monthly price or the total amount of solar panels that they could put on my roof. (NOT HAPPENING). They phoned again for another appointment to remeasure my roof so I could get an accurate cost per month for solar power. (AGAIN NO SHOW) The sales person that did show up and explain the solar power did a very good job. He answered most of my questions. I would give him 4 stars. But overall with the no shows, signing a contract without knowing the starting price per month for 25 years (I do know the escalator rate, it goes up 2.9% compounded every year) I give Momentum 2 stars and that's generous.

Jaron Murrieta, CA

Lots of issues because of simple mistakes on Momentum's part that led to it taking over two months to get solar installed and another 4 months to get it turned on.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hi Jaron, I'm sorry to hear of the extended delays. We hope you are now enjoying your solar panels and please send us a message here if we can be of further assistance.

May. 3rd, 2021

MinaTrevis Northridge, CA

Took 5 months to install and lied. They had so many delays. You could call customer service on one line and then call again and they would have a different story.

Larry

After sale the customer is on his/her own. Your sales force just adiquite to much false information. I would be more than happy to discuss with VP or higher only.

Brian

The one hand doesn't know what the other is doing in the company. They quoted me one price and then charged another and they're only going to get me back half of that amount.

Jim

The installation process went fairly well, but they left their mistakes because not everything was installed right. Customer service is hard to get in touch with.

Michael Webb Fort Lauderdale, FL

I had my solar installed July 2020. The sales guy was very knowledgeable and wanted the sale. We decided to have 35 panels put on the house. Beginning of April 2021 12 panels have failed. I’ve made several calls to customer service. They said they’d have someone look into it. It’s been now a week and nobody has contacted me. I’m losing 20kw a day but they don’t seem to care. Customer service is the worst. They get your money and when you need help they don’t care. Not happy at all with this company and I’ll never refer them to anyone.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Thank you Michael for the honest feedback on your customer experience. Please message us here with your address of service and phone number so I can have this researched asap. You can also reach us at [email protected]

Apr. 19th, 2021

jane Rice Coatesville, PA

First off I am NOT saving money with Momentum Solar. i had one bill the was low the month after they installed the panels. The panel ( which were less than half of what we were told we were getting. The number I was told was 60 panels. I got 28 panels . The amount of energy I get from these panels isn't enough to make saving possible even though i was promised they would. Don't use this company.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hi Jane, I'm sorry to hear you are not happy with the solar system. If I can help look into anything please private message your address and phone number. Thank you

Jan. 18th, 2021

Tripoli West Hartford, CT

3 product, 3 sales process, absolutely terrible ongoing support. I feel they don't care at all once the sale is complete.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hello, I'm sorry to hear you are waiting on support. Please reach out in private response here with your phone number and address so I can get this corrected for you.

Dolan Jones Gibsonton, FL

Sales Rep never provided promised Nets thermostat after multiple calls saying we will get it. its now been over 6 months

Boesenhofer

Not given us the monthly amount on electric bill as quoted from day one. With both bills my electric bill is higher than before

Rosetta DiGiorgio

Customer service is horrible not even comparable. They don't value their employees or customers after they complete a sale!

John a

Not totally truthful, tree was to be trimmed back, but I did not get it in writing so the say they did not agree to that at the time.

Anthony Egg Harbor, NJ

The installation was howlingly horrible. They promised me they would replace some things not agreed upon in the beginning and they never did it.

Trapper Sturgeon Georgetown, TX

I only give two stars because I love my solar system but the sales person will lie straight to your face to get the sale. There are several companies out there, do some research. I’m promise you that you don’t want this company.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hello Trapper, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your solar system but if there was something we can help look into about your sale please private message here or reach us at [email protected]

Apr. 7th, 2021

Iriam Rivera Orlando, FL

Pretty satisfied until our roof needed to be replaced. When initially purchased, we were offered a one-time free remove and replace in case our roof, already in some years, needed replacement. Momentum is now questioning the offer. Hope this will be resolved so I can gladly rate it as I thought it deserved.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Thank you for the honest feedback Iriam, I would be happy to have this looked into if you are still having trouble with the roof replacement please use the private reply option to send your address and phone number or email [email protected]

Mar. 16th, 2021

wesley

my salesman, who was suppose to be there every step of the way, was fired right after signing and no one ever reached out to us. We had several questions that we had no answer for and took a long time to have someone contact us back

John Gincott Lady Lake, FL

They don't keep you informed what's going on. when I called my rep, he says they will call you today but never do

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hi John, I'm sorry to hear of the lack of follow up. If you are still in need of assistance please private message your address and phone number.

Dawn

The installation process was kind of horrible. I've had the panels for 6-7 months and I just want them gone.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hi Dawn, I'm very sorry to hear you are not happy with the panels. If there is anything specific we can help look into please send us a private message here with your issue, address, and phone number.

Mita Chowdhury

Not customer friendly. They don't respond on time. It is more than 6 months & we still don't have production.

Their customer service wasn't the best, but the installation went smoothly and the equipment is great.

Happy hu

From early June, my project was finished in Oct. and they didn't give me any final inspection documents.

Luis benitez

The sales person never followed through. When Phone calls are made there are no follow up return calls.

Jodi

I thought I'd save money and I'm not I'm paying a little less than what I'd normally pay for my electric bill

Israel Flores New Braunfels, TX

Awesome when talking to someone but not enough follow through with what they say they will do.

Reply from Momentum Solar

Thank you for the feedback as we are always looking to improve, if we can be of further assistance please send us a message here or reach out to [email protected]

Tony Pham Anaheim, CA

lack of transparency, management and salesman does not honor what they promised.

Dan

They took forever to get it turned on and it's not producing. The installation was terrific.

Alvin Boyd Plainfield, NJ

1 Customer Service and to many delays in getting te project completed

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hi Alvin, I'm sorry to hear you were not impressed. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Elizabeth G Corpus Christi, TX

I've yet to see the savings as they stated

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hi Elizabeth, I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with the results, if we can help look into anything for you please email us at [email protected] or send a response here.

Feb. 4th, 2021

Robert White Bound Brook, NJ

Respond times are not good. Not organized

Reply from Momentum Solar

Hi Robert, we are sorry to hear you feel this way. If we can help look into anything specific please message here or email [email protected] Thank you

Simmi

Not make needed electricity so bill is too high

Tom Woodmere, NY

No any savimg so far, i will see it probably nexy year...

francisco giraldo Sarasota, FL

completely irresponsible with what they promise you