Trulia Logo

6.0

LAST UPDATED: August 3rd, 2022
Trulia is an online real estate listing website that started in 2005. Recently, they were bought out by Zillow. The website provides pricing information for homes, which combines listing and public data, showing how the price has changed over time. The home price is also compared with other homes in the same city. On July of 2014, Zillow acquired Trulia for $3.5 billion. The site will remain independent from Zillow, with users and real estate agents having access to the same resources as they did before. The company's web site provides crime maps, also. The maps are taken from websites such as CrimeReports.com. The maps then generate a map of criminal activity in different urban areas. User can see the crime report information so that they can determine whether or not they might want to purchase a home in a neighborhood. One of the things about Trulia that is neat is how schools and other local conveniences are listed and are used to generate a transit score and walking score for the home. The information includes critical information on schools near a home, including contact information, grades taught, and whether the school is private or public. Site users can also comment on the neighborhood's safety, pet hospitality, and other demographical information. Trulia also has several resources on its website for customers to get in contact with a realtor who is connected with a home listing. Real estate agents can submit their listings to Trulia and most listings with Trulia are generated through real estate listings and public listings.

Zillow Logo
#1 Zillow chevron_right
Realtor.com Logo
#2 Realtor.com chevron_right
Apartments.com Logo
#3 Apartments.com chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Listing features
  • Realtors
  • Apps
We liked the listing features that Trulia has for its site users. Users can search via home address, city, state, or neighborhood. They then can see the homes listed in a map, photo listing, or list format. Information about the home includes the following:
  • Multiple photos of the home's exterior or interior.
  • Demographics about the urban area where the home is located.
  • Natural hazards, including floods, earthquakes, and wildfires.
  • Crime density for the urban area.
  • Pricing information on the home, based upon past and current public listings.
Trulia's information is much more detailed than the information available on Zillow. We particularly liked that each listing had a realtor attached to it. With each listing, there is information about who holds the listing and the name of the realtor agent. The site user can then use the "Request More Information" button to send a personal note to the realtor. Trulia's transit listing is also a useful tool. The transit score is taken from www.walkscore.com. If a home has a score of 50 or higher, the area is pretty well served by public transit. The listing on Trulia's website also provides sources of public transportation hubs that are located nearby. Overall, we felt that Trulia gives site users the best "picture" of the neighborhood where a home is located. Trulia's information about crime stats helps a user get a picture of the crime in a neighborhood. Also, the ratings about schools are compiled from the GreatSchools ratings. Overall, the website does a good job of giving a prospective homeowner facts about making an informed decision about a new home. We also liked the Trulia apps. The apps offer the same features as the web site, in terms of search listings, photos, and information, such as the transit score and walking score.

The Bad

• Complaints
  • Lack of support for site users
There were many red flags about Trulia.com. We were particularly concerned about the complaints from real estates who had been "deceived" by Trulia representatives on the phones. The complaints mentioned that Trulia didn't provide them with the leads that had been promised during the real estate agent's purchase of services. Realtors had been promised high levels of leads from zip codes where the housing market was "hot," but many realtors complained about not getting the number of leads that they had been promised. Also, most of the complaints for Trulia came directly from realtors. Overall, Trulia seems to not get prospective buyers set up with a realtor as their website promises. We were also concerned about the lack of support for site users from Trulia. Trulia doesn't have a live chat support feature, nor is a toll free number listed in the help section of the web site. Customers only have access to a knowledge base and email support form. This is a detriment to customers that might have questions regarding a particular listing on the website. Also, there is not direct contact information provided for how to get in touch with the realtor who is in charge of showing a property. Users have to fill out a form on the listing in order to be contacted by the realtor. We feel that providing direct contact information for the realtor for a provider might help both the realtor and the prospective homeowner get the ball rolling when it comes to purchasing a new property.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Trulia as a website for customers who might want to get in touch with a realtor for a listed property. Here are the things that we liked about Trulia overall.
  • Detailed crime information for a listed property.
  • Photos and pricing information about a particular property, as well as maintenance prices listed for condominiums, townhouses, and other rental properties.
  • Transportation and amenities for a listed property, providing information on public transit hubs and businesses listed in proximity to a property.
The best information available in the online real estate sector for schools that are located near a home, including the school's GreatSchools rating.For realtors, however, we'd pass on some caution before paying for listing properties with Trulia. Many realtors complained about not getting leads from the website as promised. Before subscribing to Trulia, realtors may want to fully investigate the "promises" that Trulia does not always keep. Also, our review of Trulia's website reveals that they may not provide the best connection between realtors and prospective homeowners that is promised on the website.

3.9

Vanessa Rohrs Springfield, MO

I really love how user friendly Trulia is. I’m my opinion, it’s the best app to search for homes and rental property. It has the most up to date information concerning school Zoning and provides different ways to search and view your results. Trulia is a step above the rest.

Brittany Gould Augusta, ME

I have used Trulia several times while I was trying to find a place to live, as well as searching for other people. It is very user friendly, seems to have accurate information and easy to navigate.

Rebekah Cothren Fleetwood, NC

I found my daughter an apartment for college on this site. I looked everywhere for so long and they had everyone’s listings so I didn’t have to go all over the place. All in one site. Easy to navigate and easy to use.

Thomas Wilde Frankfurt am Main, HE

I used to use Trulia for all of my property searches. The feature I found particularly useful was the crime map, especially when I was checking out properties in cities I wasn't familiar with. However, they now have dropped that feature and I rarely use them any more. They now are no better than Zillow, which is where I do most of my searches. I also use Redfin, and appreciate the ability to use them for sales using a broker for only a 1% commission.

Mountainlife4sure Lafayette, CO

Good company. Watch out for duplicate post or scams. Never send money to anyone you have not met in a public place. You can find nice properties here.

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

Trulia helps you with funding local rentals in your town. You can always find that rental or weekend get away vacation rental with Trulia. Trulia is the reason I have a home.

FlowerPower Mesa, AZ

I love the app and the website. I was using it for years and ended up finding house/realtor thru it. very easy to use, the tools and parameters are great and make the search sufficient. I tried out other apps (Redfin, Zillow...) but always coming back to Trulia. Just love the way it works, and it was super easy to get help when I found a house I wanted to see. The connected me with a great realtor in the area. The downside is just the same. Somehow it's so easy to ask for them to contact you, that without paying attention, happened more then once, I requested them to contact me. But no big deal, still LOVE the app/website and use it on a regular basis.

Ashley Stoker Denver, CO

I like that Trulia is easy to navigate and has a good amount of properties listed, however the pricing seems to be wrong pretty consistently, and it's a rental site where you need to be wary of scams.

Joyce Arling Hinsdale, IL

They say the third time is a charm and I could not have asked for the most amazing charm in Karen of the Oak Brook office of Coldwell Bankers. Karen showed a talent and imagination in promoting my property. She listened to my suggestions, returned call and texts promptly and was present every time there was a showing. She learned every detail of what my property had to offer and made sure that prospective buyers knew them. She never became complacent in her pursuit to sell my home. I have recommended Karen to three of my friends who all have had nothing but good things to say. I highly recommend if you are going to sell or buy a home to use Karen because you will be very happy customer. Mrs. Joyce Arling of Oak Brook, Illinois

April Simpson Fayetteville, NC

Found my oldest son's home thru Trulia. Had great picture and thoroughly informative

Monique Snow Sterling, CT

I have used it to research certain pieces of real estate. Very comparable to other real estate sites.

jannie turner Cherry Hill, NJ

The experience was fine, the agent was thoughtful and went beyond to help Us find my daughter and grands a new home in a area near by, thus I still baby sit while mom work.

Susan P Moniz Waipahu, HI

I am satisfied with the information I receive from Trulia when I am looking for a particular property. I am able to give my clients an idea of what they can expect should they want to list their property.

Emily Swierczynski Waterford, MI

Love the Trulia app for searching for homes. I get alerts when new listings appear in my area. It's too bad the market is where it is- we've had to pass up on so many beautiful homes!

Audrey Macfarlane Dallas, TX

I love surfing through real estate sites as I often invest in properties. Out of everything I've used, Trulia has turned out to be my go-to. I love how the homes are displayed, the extra information they offer, and the quick customer service replies. Overall a really great company that I appreciate making my life easier.

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

Trulia is a very reliable company to use when you are searching for a property to buy. Their site offers maps of neighborhoods and houses listed by proceeds in the city that you are interested in living in. They tell you when the property that you are interested in is pending , under contract, or still available to make an off on.

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

I used Trulia as a "second source" with Zillow when shopping for homes for their unique features like LGBT Local Legal Protections (even though this may have nothing to do with the seller, I still appreciated the context), What Locals Are Saying (I used this to lookup cool details about pet ownership, commute, etc.), and, most importantly, I used the fact that it has a LOT of good local school information at hand including reviews on the school (from GreatSchools and parents) student count, etc. Basically, I used Zillow for the wealth of aggregate data, and I used Trulia for the wealth of community/user-generated data and reviews.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

Trulia is awesome! Their website lays out all possible homes in a way that is super easy to navigate. There's a map, prices, and the main details such as how many bed/bath listed before you even click on what you're interested in for more detail. Very well organized!

Rebecca Carter Springtown, TX

Help me find a home without wasting my time. Being able to set paraments helps weed out homes so you don't waste your time

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

They send me updates fairly regularly to my email. They're generally pretty consistent as far as showing me places to rent or buy that I'm interested in and have set as my parameters.

Queen Shavy Miami Beach, FL

This app has almost every available apt rental on their website. I like that I can select specific filters and then move around the map to see all available properties.

Dara Roy

Im searching for a house right now and some real estate companies have difficult websites that are hard to navigate through. Trulia does not. I like the ease of use online and how thorough the listings are. Thank you!

Velma Merritt Ozark, MO

The pics were good of the properties. It's also a good way to find the value of your own home because you can find similar properties. I like being able to set the price range of homes to consider

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

I love the web design of trulia is intuitive and makes the home finding experience easy in looking for properties that fit your wants and needs. Always helps to work in junction with a realtor as well though!

Morgan Tennant Rexburg, ID

My favorite aspect of Trulia is that you can save your searches so you don't have to come back to it! It makes home shopping much easier when you can compares pre-saved homes.

Rebecca D

Love this app for searching for properties. Whether looking for a rental or to buy this company is amazing. I love the way the filters can help you narrow your search making looking for a home easier and faster.

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

I tried using Trulia seeking a realtor they are very informative by giving the description of the properties on the internet ; however their downfall is not getting back in touch with you in a timely manner

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Trulia is great for looking at homes. I have used it to gage average home prices in cities I am interested in living in and have also helped a family member find a house through this site. Usually there are plenty of pictures to look through, it is easy to schedule tours, and there is a lot of information provided about the neighborhood.

Melody Rowe Charlotte, NC

Trulia is a great site to use when looking for a house or selling. Definitely recommend them.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Truila is so so so useful! I used it when my husband and I were searching for a little house. It was great to see all the different options on the map according to what we wanted. One of the greatest features is the ability to see the rating of nearby schools and the crime rate level. Sometimes I use the app to do research without even looking for houses!

Elizabeth lujan Phoenix, AZ

I am receiving updates in apartments and the best options according to my specific needs

Debbie Zerner Ocean View, DE

I've used ttulia yo both find properties and value my own. Easy to use and generally quite accurate

Erik Lewis Minneapolis, MN

Simple search interface allows you to find what you are looking for when moving to another area. I use it to avoid having to use a realtor whenever possible in a move.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Similar to Zillow, you can obtain comp values of homes in a particular area. In addition, Trulia, like Redfin, allows you to search for foreclosures. Trulia definitely gives you the best of both worlds in searching real estate. However, this free service cannot compete with the paid MLS service.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I have used Trulia for the past 2 years as I have been looking to buy a home. I have downloaded the app and enjoyed the quick and easy way to search for homes within a specific radius. I also signed up for saved searches so that I would be alerted of homes that fit my specific criteria (beds, bath, price, acreage) which was super helpful!

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Trulia is a great option to see what’s on the market - not just what’s for sale but also properties available for rent. I needed a single family for a short term lease and reached out to the agent through Trulia. All property information and pictures were right there on the site.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Trulia was a fundamental part in helping us find our home in one of the most crazy housing markets in history! I love how we could see an estimate of how much our monthly mortgage payment would be on the page where the homes were listed and how easy the interface was!

Promise Mccall Monticello, NY

Trulia what is a platform used to look for homes when I was on a search a cave great information and helped a lot along the way.

Kyshah Bagley Columbus, OH

I love this site! I usually find a lot of houses within my budget and they are very up to date with everything.

Leah North Versailles, PA

Trulia in my opinion is better than Zillow. I saw less fake posts and they also showed more low priced places than Zillow would.

Pamalita Denver, CO

We use Truia every month and add daily available units we have coming on the market. Good and reliable.

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

Trulia is my favorite website to use to find apartments. They have an option to save your search and that makes it easy to compare listings.

Yuli Gallardo Delray Beach, FL

I love Trulia online and their app. I am in the process of moving and this app is always very helpful and my go to when doing home searching.

Alex Gohlke Troy, MI

Trulia is easy to use. lots of filters makes it easy to find that perfect dream home. and even easier to set up tours both in person and virtual

Carla Lewis Walled Lake, MI

Trulia is a great resource not just for researching property but gaining knowledge about buying and selling real estate.

Claudia Patrick Austin, AR

Although Trulia doesn't provide a truly accurate appraisal of your property, it keeps you informed about a property's value based on the market. Use it as a guide and the regular updates are helpful.

JE

Trulia works great. I use it to look for houses. The filters are great to find a house to fit your preferences. I like to filter by lowest price

swarm Rego Park, NY

Trulia is aiding and abetting fraud by allowing unknown, unverified "agents" to post false listings and collect information on users for scamming purposes. I was recently a victim of a sophisticated scam operation from through a direct email from someone I believed to be a home owner on Trulia. I request info on the listing and the person contacted me with a very sophisticated scam. I was stupid enough to trust this person but it was mainly because it was listed on Trulia and Trulia provided no warnings of such behavior, not even in their terms of use. In addition, I was "requesting info" on the property. This does not equate to sharing information with an unidentifiable scammer in another country. This is extremely misleading and dangerous. This is a complete breach of privacy as I did not give Trulia to send my info to someone who they cannot vouch for or even provide information on after the fact. Trulia refuses to provide the information on person who received my contact information (name, email phone number). This policy is extremely one-sided and dangerous. They are allowing scammers by the troves to hide behind their service. They have no reason not to share the information of both parties exchanging information, especially in the case of fraud. This is a warning to everyone - there is no reason to trust Trulia in any way, especially with their Request Info feature. Do NOT USE THIS. If anything, call the agent directly before providing your information through this feature. I am considering legal action against Trulia since they gave my information to a scammer without my permission and are refusing to help me in any way.

Jason H Westminster, CO

Purchased Real Estate Agent Ads from Trulia through a phone sales rep. Zillow misrepresented the Ad service and failed to disclose planned changes. I purchased Real Estate Agent Ads from Trulia on May 4, 2015 based upon statistics the sales representative shared with be for the advertising area. I received leads (16-20 leads per month) for the are for the first 3 months of the 6 month term as the rep indicated. After the second month using the Ad service, Zillow Group sent a notification that they were "integrating" the advertising platforms of Trulia and Zillow and that Advertisers would benefits from the changes. Once the change was complete, I was beginning my 4th month of the service and from months 4-6 received ZERO leads. Zillow Group/Trulia blatantly misrepresented the advertising service they sold me over the phone. I repeatedly contacted the "newly assigned" sales rep who was very nice but told me that they don't have a means to cancel the term. When I expressed my dissatisfaction, he agreed to look up the number of "impressions" that were delivered in September and told me that the minimum threshold according to my agreement was not met, therefore they would refund that month of service. He informed me that he would contact the billing department and have a refund issued. After 15 days of no communication, I sent an email to the rep and his supervisor to ask about the status of the refund. The supervisor replied that they will not issue refunds and they I can only stop payments when the end of the 6 month term is reached. The Terms and Conditions were not reviewed with me at the sale. When purchasing the Ads the rep made no mention of the planned changes to the advertising platform, or what they called the "integration" which directly resulted in the LOSE of ALL LEADS being sent to me for the last 3 months of the 6 month term. I didn't not physically or electronically sign a contract. The contract made was a verbal contract which the salesperson misrepresented in my opinion by not disclosing the upcoming changes. If these changes were disclosed I would have never made a verbal agreement to do business with an unknown advertising systems change.

steven Riddle Jackson Heights, NY

Professional review of Services paid for, “Throw your money into the garbage, at least it wont attack you!”This is so weird it if laughable.I pay for seller ads. I agreed to a 3 month term. Just to test the waters. I needed a very targeted area in Manhattan. One zip code! The sales agent said, I will give you extra zips as a bonus. The deal was, 8 leads a month @ $700.00 plus the bonus areas. Leads in the zip code i wanted 2, both were for price guidance, neither owned the apartment they were looking to sell.When I called to review this process i was told, Well, we are give you these extra leads at no charge! I am in NYC, the leads are 60 Miles away! They are useless to me! They correct the zip codes and guess what. No Leads at all! Then I am reviewing the list of “leads” and a pop up appears marketing me to spend more money. I type in When you deliver the service that I have already paid for. and im connected to another sales person. She asks if she can call me to review and I say yes. Instead of taking the time to address my concerns and try to deliver good client service she starts lambasting me for my concerns! My take away from this, I am not the only Broker who has the same complaint! STAY AWAY!!! Anne was my rep!