RE/MAX is one of the most popular real estate franchise brands in the world. Their parent company, RE/MAX Holdings Inc., is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange. The founder’s goal was to open up the real estate market to both men and women. With what they call an “Agent-centric” business model, where agents get to keep most of their commission in exchange for contributing a portion of their earnings to the office operations, RE/MAX has experienced unprecedented growth across the planet.

Homes.com chevron_right
Berkshire Hathaway chevron_right
2.1
Apartments.com chevron_right
1.4
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

The Good

• International
  • States
  • Offices
  • Real estate options
  • Filtering options
  • License
  • Commission/selling cost
  • Specialties
  • Experience
International

The company has a current International footprint in over 95 countries. This is one of the highest location numbers in the industry, allowing you to buy or sell properties almost anywhere from the U.S. and Canada to virtually every continent on Earth.

States

RE/MAX's offices can be found in 51/51 states. They have an exceptionally large concentration in California with 98,541 property listings for sale. Comparing local properties against others on the market or those recently sold is easier to do when there are more local or regional properties available to compare.

Offices

RE/MAX's worldwide offices have expanded to 6,751. Finding offices in a given area was an easy experience on the company's website. The searches allow users to find listings by area, change the order of the results based on the price and age of the properties, view pictures and information, and see a home's context on an associated map.

Real Estate Options

RE/MAX offers services to help you buy or sell through their agents. They are the only company reviewed that differentiates to customers the difference between buyer's agents and seller agents. For sellers, putting your home on the market, an agent (or seller's agent) can help you research your home's value, give you an idea of what types of properties and neighborhoods are in your budget, letting you know what might be a good time to buy, help you make your home market-ready by prioritizing repairs, or recommend a home inspector for an expert opinion on features like roofs and HVAC. If you're buying a home, RE/MAX's buyer's agents can save you time by connecting you with trusted service providers such as painters, inspectors and insurance brokers, or help you accurately complete the all the time-consuming paperwork on time, help to negotiate a fair price for you, and make sure your interests are protected at closing of the sale. RE/MAX offers free advice on their site on the following topics:

• Home Buying
  • Foreclosure
  • Home inspection
  • Forms & Contracts
Filtering Options

RE/MAX has 14 filtering options to help you narrow your real estate search. Compared to some, this is on the lower end and does not include filters to find properties that are near a school zone or close to work. You can get location (city, state, zip, etc), price range, beds, baths and the other normal filters most any real estate company offers. The only distinctive feature is their secondary "Show only" filter of new listing, open houses, price cuts, luxury homes and virtual tours.

License

As a major global brand, RE/MAX's agents are all required to have a license. You can search their national or global agent listings to find your choice of real estate agents, realtor s and real estate brokers. While the majority of real estate companies only offer a search option to find agents, RE/MAX also lets you tell them what you want and let them find an agent for you.

Commission/Selling Cost

The agent's commission is the standard 6%. That 6% is split evenly between the listing agent and selling agent at 3% each. RE/MAX has an agent keep 100% of their commission from day one, but pays large monthly fees for office space and staff support. This doesn't affect the home buyer or seller.

Specialties

When searching for a RE/MAX agent, you can choose from 24 specialties-the most out of all the major real estate companies. If you need an agent with a niche specialty such as time shares, property management, farm land, horse property, vineyards, Historic properties, vacation and resort properties, senior communities and technology marketing, RE/MAX's international database of agents can accommodate you.

Experience

RE/MAX was launched in 1973 by Dave and Gail Liniger as a single office operation. Since then, it has grown into a global real estate powerhouse of franchisee-owned and -operated offices. To date, the company is headquartered in Denver, Colorado and is still run by the Linigers. They've been in business for over 40 years.

The Bad

Agents

RE/MAX has more than 98,000 agents worldwide. Amongst its peers of major global brands, this is on the lower end. But it is still high and saturated throughout the U.S. Perhaps because of the large amount of agents available, the quality of agents throughout the company is hard to guarantee. Previous reviews found several consumer complaints of agents having too little experience or regard for quality. Also a negative is that when you put in the zip code, agents pop up that are not local at all. For example, if you pull up an address in Brooklyn, NY, you get agents in New Jersey.

The Bottom Line

RE/MAX is a trusted global real estate brand that has over 40 years experience. Their agent specializes in more specialties than their competitors. If you need an agent practically anywhere across the world, RE/MAX's enormous network of affiliates are available through their database. If you have a highly specialized need, such as property management, horse land, farms, senior communities, vineyards, technology, or historic properties) this is the place for you. Exercise caution when choosing which realtor you work with. Their agent locator needs to be updated, since putting in your zip code pulls up agents from far away. The RE/MAX website provides profiles for each agent, but only a more in-depth personal interview can help you to control the quality of your experience.

2.3

Becca
June 19th, 2019 Mount Laurel, NJ

We were under contract to buy a house with Re/Max and after the 3 day attorney review, they decided to accept a better offer and breach our contract to accept the other offer. When we let them know they were too late they "demanded we hire attorneys if we wanted to interfere with their contract". Not worth our time and efforts. I would not recommend a company that acts shady and tries to take advantage of other's situations. That's just bad business.

Nolan J. Arieta
June 19th, 2019 Danville, CA DETAILS

Glenn and Therese M should get an award for their awesome service in selling our hone in the toughest conditions imaginable! Kind regards, Nolan

Jazzous Anderson
May 31st, 2019 San Diego, CA

Awesome company and great workers who are knowledgeable and what they do. Highly recommend for anyone considering real estate or general questions regarding property and several other questions you may have.

Unsatisfactied client
December 10th, 2018 Chadds Ford, PA DETAILS

Poor communication, no phone calls to me in the eight months she was my agent even when I asked her to call me and I received offers. I was asked several times through text message or emails where my storage unit was among other questions that as mg real estate agent she should’ve already known and was told several times. I had to meet a client to show them where my storage unit was on a day when it was raining and planning a surprise party. My door was left unlocked by several agents including my own. I requested an agent not knowing she wasn’t a real estate agent, therefore, I had her and the agent that sold my place and half way through the contract I no longer heard from her to find out she no longer is working on my property. I was embarrassed at settlement when my agent told the buyer and her agent that I should’ve shown them where my storage unit was with the buyers agent replying, she offered to show us. I was not told how to bring to settlement until the very minute I was to meet for settlement and had to text and email several times asking since this amount was not just a few hundred but several thousand and needed to know. As I sat in the bank parking lot waiting for the bank to open I received a call at 8:59 with the total and my settlement time was 9:00. When settlenent was over I left with a bunch of signed forms, not even given an envelope to place them in nor was I thanked for choosing her to help sell my home. I was to be given a check during settlement and was not provided one for some reason I forget, but was told I would here from her by the end of the day. I never heard from my agent. I understand selling a home is stressful but when your agent doesn’t call and only communicates through emails and text messages iI feel this is very unprofessional and poor service. I will be careful with the next agent I choose when I’m ready to buy a home in the next couple of months, but it will not be a remax agent after this awful experience.

Nishita
December 10th, 2018 McLean, VA DETAILS

We hired them when we put pour townhouse in Ashburn on the market for rent. They offered great services, were clear about their terms and our agent was always on top of things. Would recommend it.

Monica Haynes
August 28th, 2018 Jacksonville, NC DETAILS

Best company they care for their clients a lot. Open communication is must . My team was Robert L and Jamie B. When it came down to everything they showed me they had my best interest at heart. Thanks for all you do

Lesa Burgess
August 21st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I was a first time home owner when I used Re/Max to purchase this home. The realtor showed me a number of houses that he felt best fit our budget and needs. I was pleased with the realtor and the amount of time & patience he had with us in choosing a home. As a first time home buyer, this was very satisfying.

Rebecca Ridenour Bonnie Willinger
July 25th, 2018 Grand Lake, CO

We purchased a house in Grand Lake, Co from Suzi M with ReMax back in March. One of the request we made was for the house to be cleaned as it was extremely dirty. Suzi had promised us it would be professionally cleaned, which it wasn't. We made several attempts to get this situation resolved with no luck. I have always thought highly of ReMax but this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I feel Suzi was unprofessional and didn't care.

Leilanit
July 16th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

* They do not do Saturday move-ins. * We are asking to move in 3-4 days earlier than our contract, & we would pro-rate the days; there is a $150 fee for adjusting the contract + the daily pro-rate. Oh & there are no tenants living in the unit, so no one is being inconvenienced. * The property manager takes more than 24 -36 hours to respond to requests made via email as well as via text. * If I could rate them a zero, I would. * I wish I read their reviews BEFORE signing my rental lease agreement, but I've had great experiences with other rental companies.

John Richards
June 4th, 2018 Mount Airy, MD DETAILS

We selected ReMax agent Lynne K. to sell our home in Mount Airy, Md. This woman went way above thr call of duty for us. She negotiated through difficulties, coordinated home repairs, even cleaned up after a pipe broke in the empty house. She was our super- hero, we could not have sold the home without her!

Trent
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT

They have great service and our agent was always on top of it.

Debreka Hall-Woods
April 4th, 2018 Hinesville, GA

I applied for a rental and called about home several times. I even complained how nonchalant the women were. I happened To call again today for them To tell me I was declined. Mind you i had to call them. I want my application fee back and I recommend anyone wanting to rent from these people to seek else where.

John Hoffmeister
February 5th, 2018 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

Jonathan D. was the first agent to contact us when we were searching for a home to purchase in the Charlotte region. He was patient with us through the process of looking for the perfect home, he showed us easily 50+ houses spread throughout Mecklenburg, Union and Cabarrus counties. He would drop his family plans at the last minute to show us a home with our complicated schedules. He even gave us little hints on how to make the right offer to out bid others. He was quick to send the paperwork for offers and answer ALL of our questions. I would highly recommend Jonathan to anyone. He even had an awesome personality that made the process that much better.

Tiffany Carson
June 2nd, 2017

I reached out for questions about a house in Indianapolis. Lindsay called and emailed me shortly after. I emailed her back asking about more pictures of the property because I wanted to decide if I wanted to talk to my realtor (with a different agency) to reach out to schedule a walk through. She responded by saying that she was not the realtor for the listing. It definitely seems like this agency is only interested in money and not being helpful to those in the market.

alex dzikic
April 12th, 2017

our agent was the worst that we ever had never helped once we put downpayment never called if we were ok or needed anything we were homeless for 8 months because of her jan K

nour
May 20th, 2016

We contacted a Remax realtor Todd Addicott from Jacksonville Florida by sending him the address to do a property inspection. He did the drive by with his colleague Stacy Craig and sent us the report information that everything about the property looks good. After there information-report we assumed the property was ok and purchased the property on the auction. We bid on the house on the auction and won, after we payed the property and emailed the realtor that we got the property so they can sell. I got a email back with the news that the property is demolished. They apoligized for doing the inspection on a wrong property. It turns out he went to the wrong property and sent me a information-report from another property, he mixed up the house number. We called A.s.ap. the county to request our money back, because we requested the county to refund the money, we have to pay a fine now from 1900 dollar and are banned for 1 year to bid on the auction I called Todd Addicott to ask him for a decent solution, because he made a big mistake and gave him the chance to show his responsibility. Unfortunately he wasn't willing to help, he didn't took his responsibility. He told us that It was our own fault, because we didn't do our due-dilligence properly online. He get good reviews when it becomes to buy and sell properties but when it becomes to solve a problem he caused he will let you down badly.

Albert Johnson
March 23rd, 2016

Leased a home from Remax and was promised after the current resident moved out the home would be painted, cleaned and repaires completed as needed. Upon move in date visited home and nothing had been touched after previous resident moved out!!!! Floors dirty, carpet stained, pool area nasty, 12 light bulbs were blown, garage door did not open with remote, microwave door broken and air conditioner had the same filter from 2 years ago. I had to move in since I had given notice to leave my previous location and have been fighting ever since to have repairs made. TERRIBLE COMPANY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch Colanino
March 19th, 2016 Farmington, MN

Dave Kampen, a RE Max realtor is a very unethical business person! After verbally agreeing to and sending a confirmation email to purchase a home...he backed out of the deal and took a different side deal without allowing a counter offer. I can only assume the new buyer didn't have a realtor and he wanted to cash in. I guess his word means nothing and only cares about the profit side of this business. If you are looking for a realtor that is only looking to benefits himself then Dave Kampen is the guy for you!!!

Brett
January 7th, 2016 Nashua, NH

Our realtor from the Pelham NH Remax Properties office and her broker from the Nashua NH Remax Properties office are extremely unprofessional. My wife and I own a home and were looking to sell it while purchasing another. After a few months we come to find out that our realtor was just not working for us. We acquired advice from numerous other people in which we were told that the actions our realtor has taken were poor and misguided. We politely asked to have our buying and selling contracts relinquished based on poor performance. Our realtor then proceeded to send us an email asking for a boost of the sellers commission in exchange for releasing the buyers contract only. (our realtor had a buying and selling contract with us). Later on, I received a text message from my realtor stating my "wife was a cruel person" and "good luck". I took these matters to the local broker. Although he at first seemed attentive, he simply stretched out the time it took to take our home off the market after repeated requests to our realtor. Initially our realtor told us she couldn't take it off the market without a released selling contract, which I came to find out was completely inaccurate. After nearly 2 weeks of requesting to have our buying and selling contracts released, Remax Properties still drags the situation out longer. The agents of Remax seem to be "old school" and not aggressive enough for today's fast housing markets. The Remax broker is not only unprofessional but extremely lacking when it comes to customer service. This is the worst customer services I have ever experienced in my life and I have been nothing but polite up until this point. A complaint will be submitted to the NH Realtors Commission.