ERA Real Estate is a global community of real estate professionals offering local experience with the latest resources to meet the real estate needs of home buyers. Like many real estate agencies, ERA Real Estate has a luxury homes collection called ERA Distinct Properties – their slogan is “get to know the high end market.” This collection includes stylized homes and is sold by sales specialists around the country.

#1 Homes.com chevron_right
2.4
#2 RE/MAX chevron_right
2.5
#3 Keller Williams Realty chevron_right
2.2

The Good

• International
  • States
  • Agents
  • Offices
  • Real estate options
  • Filtering options
  • License
  • Specialties
  • Experience
International

Compared to some real estate franchise companies that are only available in the United States, ERA has locations in 37 Countries (including the United States). Other countries cover Africa, Asia, Caribbean, Europe, Middle East, and North America.

States

An ERA agency can be found in 48/51 states. As part of Realogy, a larger real estate company that includes companies like Century 21 and Coldwell Banker, they have access to shared listings as well, giving complete coverage to virtually any area.

Agents

With a total number of 32,000 agents worldwide, ERA is available to many customers in their local areas. Some companies have more agents, some less, leaving ERA in the middle range of availability.

Offices

The company has approximately 2,300 affiliated offices. Each office is owned by local real estate experts. The amount of offices in each area varies, but ERA Real Estate shows listings even in areas without an office. They have a cluster of 198 brokers in San Francisco, CA.

Real Estate Options

ERA offer services to help you buy and sell homes. Their most unique feature (as many real estate companies only offer access to agents and home listings) is home financing. ERA Mortgage is a home loan program to allow you to finance your home. They offer a service guarantee that they will close your loan by the agreed upon closing date or pay you $500. One thing they do that protects you from getting in over your head is have you apply for a pre-approval so you enter into the process knowing how much you can afford. They also have a Mortgage Payment Calculator, Affordability Calculator, and Monthly Payment Calculator to help you crunch the numbers and know how much you can really afford. ERA also has a Real Estate YouTube Channel provide information about some of the most commonly asked questions about real estate.

The benefit to the ERA Loan Pre-approval option is that a pre-approval decision letter in-hand shows the seller and real estate agent that you're financially ready to buy the home and gives you an advantage over other buyers who may be interested in the same property.

ERA also offers buyers a Real Estate App. This app uniquely works on smartphones, tablets-and standard cellphones. You can search their home listings from anywhere you have internet service or WiFi. This convenience can be beneficial for busy people on the go or people in between residences. If you sign up for a free account, you can also keep and receive a quick list of homes you've viewed and liked, browse homes you've previously viewed and get weekly updates on property values of the homes that interest you.

For those looking to sell their home, ERA provides a listing of local agents to choose from who can help with anything from proper pricing to home staging to negotiating the best offer. They also have a Home Value Estimate Tool. If you enter your address into their estimate tool, you can instantly view several estimates of what your home is worth today. This gives you a better idea of how much your house is worth by using the pricing tool with the insight of a local agent who knows today's market.

Filtering Options

ERA has 20 filtering options. This is an exceptionally large amount of filters. Some only have 10-12 filters, others fewer. You can narrow your search using the traditional filters such as city, zip code, keywords, price range, bed and bath or you can get more advanced with Property type, Listing type or Listing features.

License

ERA requires all of their agents to be licensed. Most real estate companies have a database of agents only, but ERA has a database of REALTORS to choose from.

Specialties

Depending on the agent, ERA offers buying and selling services in residential homes, commercial properties and undeveloped land. Other specialties may be available per individual agent or ERA brokerage affiliate, but the average ERA agent or affiliate focuses on residential homes.

Experience

ERA was founded as Electronic Realty Associates in 1971 by Jim Jackson. Since that time, ERA Real Estate has continued to grow and innovate. In 1973, ERA Real Estate offered the first nationwide home warranty program. Today, ERA Real Estate is online and offers real estate services to both sales associates and consumers. The company has remained a major competitor in the real estate market for 45 years.

The Bad

• Commission/selling cost
Commission/Selling Cost

REALTORS around the globe do receive a commission, but ERA does not agree to disclose the percentage until the buying or selling process has been established with the agent. Also, agent offices are independently owned and operated, which means the commission can vary with each individual agent.

The Bottom Line

ERA Real Estate's strength is in its listings, its large customizable filtered home searches and most of all, their fast-track home financing program. For those seeking or selling a new home, ERA Real Estate is a prime option. However, if you're looking for other specialties, (i.e. land or commercial) you can also start here. ERA Real Estate is not available in every State, so if you're outside of the 48 states they cover, also try elsewhere.

1.6

Rachel Laffitte
August 26th, 2019 Crestview, FL DETAILS

Hands down the absolute worst rental company that I've ever been involved with. When we rented the house it was absolutely disgustingly dirty DESPITE THE FACT that they insisted it had been deep cleaned; absolute lie. Wrote down every single thing that was broken or gross on the pre assessment; they never fixed a single issue. The central air unit had to be replaced as the temp reached over 90°. Because they were cheap, the new unit they put in wasn't large enough to actually cool down the house--so expect to pay an additional $300 a month for an air unit that runs non stop and keeps you at a cool 86° at coolest. The roof? Shingles flying off and never fixed. The fenced in yard? HA--NOTHING BUT ROTTEN BOARDS that come undone if you stare at them too intently. 1/3 of our deposit wasn't returned for repairs they supposedly made once we moved out that we know weren't made. Horrible office workers that can't answer simple questions and are quite honestly just rude. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. The house we rented, with all the issues described, was THE BEST of the houses we were shown by ERA. Other houses from this company had, just to name a scant few of the issues we saw: Fleas crawling all over us as soon as we walked in. Cockroaches scattering from sight. Floors that caved underfoot. If we'd not been from out of state and on a very short time schedule, we'd never have chosen this rental place. We were good tenants and I'm typically very kind on reviews. But trust me When I say this--never ever ever rent from ERA in Crestview Florida. I have never been so happy to be done with a business that I honest to God pray I never hear of again. Horrible. Beyond awful

Derrick Williams
June 18th, 2019 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS

Laura, Danielle, and the Virginia beach branch are some of the rudest, petty, hypocritical, condescending, and nasty people I've done business with in a long time. Their nasty attitude and flat out twisting of the truth is beyond ridiculous. My family and I will never rent or purchase anything from ERA and will tell anyone who will listen to run and dont do business with that office. I should have listened to the red flags. Getting away from them was one of the best days of my life and if anyone from Corporate really cares then they can contact me because there's no need to o into details online so ERA can send another condescending response not accurately portraying the truth. I wish I could give 0 stars and I wish that branch never existed.!!!!!!!!!

Lindsey
November 27th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

This is an awful company, never deal with agent Linda n, she is dishonest and will tell you anything to minipulate you into a sale. She does not have any ethically qualities and I have filed a law suit against this firm as well as this agent. They are theives and I would check their public court records. This lady needs her license revoked!

Nicole
November 8th, 2018 Salisbury, MD DETAILS

The experience with ERA was pleasant & I would recommend them to anyone. My agent Jeff D did an outstanding job meeting my needs. He was a joy to work with! I am very happy with the home he helped me purchase.

Kelsey Nordhoff
January 25th, 2018 Huntingburg, IN DETAILS

Horrible! I sold my home with another agency, the individually who is purchasing our home worked with ERA. The agent Soraia B. was awful to work with! Yesterday I came into my home to remove the remaining items before we closed and she had allowed the buyers to go ahead and start moving their items into MY HOUSE! We had not even went to the bank to close yet! Soraia continued to lie about what had happened and refused to take responsibility for her unprofessional behavior. Highly unacceptable and completely unprofessional of Soraia and ERA to allow this to happened. I would not recommend anyone to work with them after they allowed something like this to happened and refused to own up to it and make it right. You do not allow someone else to move into a house that they do not owe yet, I never once gave anyone permission to do this.

Shadava Hamilton
October 30th, 2017 Columbus, OH DETAILS

This realty company is the worst!!!! I have paid my rent on time mostly early since I’ve been in there property and you would think they would be a little more polite and considerate of their tenants or at least courteous. I had a leak from April to September in which my kitchen ceiling almost caved completely in. I called I text I begged for it to be fixed it finally got fixed and boom a water bill of 183.00 in which they say it’s my problem not theirs. On top of that due to a broken central air unit in the back of my home someone pulled the cords out of the wall leaving a gaping hole in my basement for rodents bugs or whatever to crawl in needless to say I stuffed a towel in it and that is what is still there. The customer service is so rude and unprofessional I can’t believe it. When you are discussing something with someone you can look them in the eye once or twice but maybe if you know you are wrong that becomes difficult. No one answers the phone leave a message no response back so you have to drive 45 minutes to the nearest office just to be treated like trash! I will be reporting them to the BBB as well. This is ridiculous! If I hold up my end of the contract shouldn’t you as well? Or do you just buy property and let it go to hell and disregard the tenants that occupy your property? Horrible living conditions horrible service horrible company! 2 more months and my lease and this will be over I do not recommend ERA REALTY to ANYONE PERIOD!!!!

Tom Siener
September 25th, 2017 Hamburg, NY

i paid a $200 pet fee and told them i was bringing a cat. after i stayed they informed me that cats were not allowed . This not clear in the contract and was never explained to me. now they want an additional $300 to clean the cottage after the cat stayed. ERA representatives were rude over the phone in discussing this. The property owners were totally unreasonable and used this excuse about the cat to totally clean their place at 108 West Summit in Lakewood, NY at Lake Chautauqua. Do not rent from them or ERA!

anna
November 11th, 2016

The realtor's name is Johanna C. She works for ERA Real Estate. When I moved here to NM, I stayed in temporary housing and at the same time started looking for a place to buy. I was completely unfamiliar with NM. I was unaware of how much crime is here and especially in some neighborhoods is even higher. Johanna seemed to really like the house that I ended up in. From the start, she tried to persuade me to purchase it. She seemed to like it a lot. She told me that she would buy it if she could. When I asked her if the neighborhood was nice and safe, she said YES! That was a joke. It's very high crime in my neighborhood. Since I moved in in January, my mail had been stolen, packages left by UPS have been stolen and my car was broken into. Just a few weeks ago, I found two men in my back yard who had jumped over my 6 ft fence with the intent to rob me. I am on “nextdoor', a website for people in neighborhoods to join and stay abreast of crime activities. Almost every day there are reports of house casings, robberies, burglaries, criminals walking into houses that have people in them when the doors are unlocked, cars being stolen etc. Drive by shootings are are regular occurrence here. Just the other night, there was one a few blocks from my house. Another complaint that I have about her is she feels some sort of obligation to the sellers. The seller of the house I bought really wanted to sell it, really wanted to get rid of it. Johanna discouraged me from going any lower on my offer that what I made because the seller would lose money and she felt bad for the seller because of that. I could have gotten if for less. It's business and she should have been looking out for MY best interests, not the sellers. She knew I could have gone lower, but did not encourage me and really did not like me going as low as I did. Johanna also did not like me insisting that everything that showed up in the inspection be taken care of…because she felt bad for the seller. She did this with my friends who used her as well. Another complaint…she was very moody, grumpy and snappy. She jumped down my throat a couple of times because she was tired and has health issues. She did this to my friends who used her as well. Last thing that comes to my mind…she would tell me all sorts of strange personal stuff about her family. She told me about her grand daughters eating disorder and that her mother was a drug/alcohol addict. Way more than I wanted to hear. All in all, she is very unprofessional. I have bought plenty of homes in the past and never had a realtor with the lack of professionalism as Johanna C. Due to the fact that I had just uprooted myself from 40 years in another state, I was very disoriented and in a little shock. It is pertinent when a realtor is dealing with someone in my positon, that they truly have their best interest in mind, which she did not. She had her best interest in mind.

diane miller
November 10th, 2016

For Robert and Bobbi Jo J from Utah .two excellent and honest young Realtors found us a very nice house in a very short time..Thank you...Joe and Diane Miller